[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is best metal gear?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 20

File: METAL_GEAR.jpg (93KB, 1200x600px) Image search: [Google]
METAL_GEAR.jpg
93KB, 1200x600px
What is best metal gear?
>>
>>14751366
Rex and Ray are easily the best designs.
Gekko is pretty good too.
>>
>>14751372
/thread
>>
>>14751372
Rex fuckin sucks because it got shot with 20 stingers, rat sucks harder, raiden killed 25 with the same amount of stingers.

The best one is Metal gear d.
>>
>>14751366
>not shooping in Sally
>>
>>14751398
I'm talking from a aesthetic point of view.
of course if we're talking about effectiveness, none of them are any good since all of them got wrecked by a single dude with a big backpack full of guns.
>>
File: mk2snatcher.jpg (59KB, 340x186px) Image search: [Google]
mk2snatcher.jpg
59KB, 340x186px
MK2
>>
File: latest[1].png (223KB, 769x737px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
223KB, 769x737px
Ray a cute! CUTE!
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO0ZBc9JTWs
>>
I rather like this one

I really need to actually play the game it's from, though
>>
>>14751433
>implying Snake wasn't the real Metal Gear
>>
>>14751791
no, he was the weapon to surpass it
>>
File: 1440151519839.gif (104KB, 350x350px)
1440151519839.gif
104KB, 350x350px
>>14751487
This

Ray a best
>>
>>14751403
I think its from metal gear ac!d
>>
>>14751466
This, none of the other Metal Gears have the bantz skills of Mk. 2
>>
>>14751398
>get shot with 20 stingers
>rots in a hangar for years
>gets dug up by snake
>still functional
>ends up slapping Ocelot's RAY's shit in

Hail to the king.
>>
>>14751398
Rex is best because you wouldn't have the rest with out it.
>>
>>14751366
Everything past the Shagohod is basically dogshit
>>
File: raidblack.jpg (412KB, 933x747px) Image search: [Google]
raidblack.jpg
412KB, 933x747px
>>14751487
>>14752069
>tutorial boss
>good
>>
>>14752671
Shagohod is not a metal gear
>>
>>14752672
You never played metal gear solid 2 or 4, did you? Rising is not even canon.
>>
>>14752639
MGS 4 is retarded and it made no sense for Snake to win since the Ray was specifically designed to destroy REX models. But that's a drop in the bucket with all the other stupid shit that 4 does.
>>
>>14752757
Surprise, original REX isn't a piece of dogshit like its unlicensed clones.

You don't fuck with the king.
>>
>>14752757
Mgs4 was the best ASSHOLE
>>
Where are TX-55 and D? They are retrocool.
>>
>>14752740
>Rising is not even canon.

But it is.
>>
>>14752868
explodingknees.jpg
>>
>>14752768
It was made to kill the REX and all derivatives that could be made. Ray literally only loses because Snake has to win and 4 had the writing caliber of fanfiction.

>>14752803
It's terrible. It was the worst numbers entry by a wide margin until 5 came out. Story wise, that is.
>>
>>14753191
You're just mad because RAY is shit.

The closest thing to an official record on the matter comes from Project Itoh's novelization of 4; the RAY Ocelot uses is one of the unmanned models with a cockpit retrofitted to it, resulting in a significant handicap since that model was never intended to be piloted.

But honestly I find that explanation a bit questionable since there was already a manned model and I don't get how there could be enough changes between the two that throwing the cockpit on really does gimp the u-RAY like that.
>>
>>14753222
>Spoiler
The explanation is that MGS4's script was poorly thought out as a whole and the outcome of that fight makes no sense. But given the amount of stupid, illogical, and poorly motivated things that happen in 4 it's rather inconsequential.
>>
File: Tx-55metalgear.jpg (28KB, 350x514px) Image search: [Google]
Tx-55metalgear.jpg
28KB, 350x514px
>>14751403
Sally sucks. like holy shit, people complain about the tech jump with the MGs, but Sally proved just why the next one went back to basics in terms of tech and looks the way it does. Sure its ugly as shit, but at least a grown adult can use it and doesn't need FUCKING MAGIC to walk.
>>
>>14753257
It didn't need the magic to walk so much as to let the adult interface with the machine and circumvent the baby cockpit problem.

The whole design could've used an AI pod and function well enough if not for Skullface's whims.

ST84 was undoubtedly ahead of its time, but it was also undermined by the limitations of the technology of its times. That it's the archetype precursor to REX, a design that is unquestionably the brick shithouse of Gear weapons, shows that the shit Granin handed off to Huey was some serious wizard bullshit that made Shagohod straight up look like a bitch.
>>
>>14752061
Humans were the original metal gear. They designed Metal Gear to have legs because they saw conventional tanks as inferior and believed they needed bipedal movement to overcome issues with terrain. Then the resulting Metal Gears ended up being wrecked by a man with inferior genes.

"The only thing that can stand up to a Metal Gear is, of course, another Metal Gear."

The Marine Commandant said this in MGS2, but it was Snake who defeated REX. All of mecha essentially aims to augment the natural human design, but Metal Gear inverts this by emphasizing the power of a single human individual with a missile launcher.
>>
File: MZKT-79221.jpg (36KB, 500x102px)
MZKT-79221.jpg
36KB, 500x102px
It's amusing how Shagohod (and to a lesser extent most of the Gears) are glorified TELARs.

My personal favorite, function-wise, is either Shagohod or RAXA/ICBMG. Almost everything that comes after those is even more ridiculous -I mean, who thought that a bipedal, nuclear-equipped tank would be good at specializing in any single type of warfare?- although Sally being magic-powered is equal parts brilliant and stupid.

Then again, this is /m/, pilotable humanoids are all the rage here. REX still reigns supreme, software limitations be damned.
>>
>>14754451
For all the shit that MGS4 gets for the latter half of the game, that REX vs Ray fight was fucking awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciIVuUzhs2o
>>
>>14751366
In terms of irl practicality? Shagohod is the only one that makes any sense. But it's not a Metal Gear, so...gotta go with Rex.
>>14751398
>Rex fuckin sucks because it got shot with 20 stingers
Check your memory, anon. Those 20 stingers were going into Liquid's face in the open cockpit. The only part of Rex that even takes any damage is the radome.

Best MGS game is VR Missions disc for ps1, followed by Portable Ops or 3. 4 was meh, Peace Walker sucked and V killed the franchise for me.

Nothing will ever top Psycho Mantis reading my memory (card) and moving my controller, though.
>>
>>14754498
Best metal gear game is twin snakes and mgs2. Also the 2 MSX titles
>>
File: angrydd.jpg (164KB, 319x394px)
angrydd.jpg
164KB, 319x394px
>>14754521
>twin snakes
>>
>>14754498
V was the best game of the lot though.

And I mean to the letter, the best -game-.

Though I do think it would have benefitted from some sort of inner city urban map where there would be a deliberate sense of filled space vs the empty nothing between checkpoints in Afghanistan and Africa. The isolated scenario locales were great but the space in between them weren't so great unless you like driving and hunting game.
>>
>>14754541

V had the best gameplay since 3, that's for sure.

The story on the other hand you could argue about for fucking hours. I didn't have a problem with it although some of the pacing felt weird
>>
>>14752740
>4,

In 4 a busted ass left to rot Rex curbstomps the anti metal gear metal gear. Fuck ray.
>>
File: vm5vtpjjtlnfvelptfha.gif.jpg (16KB, 492x320px) Image search: [Google]
vm5vtpjjtlnfvelptfha.gif.jpg
16KB, 492x320px
Gander is pretty cool
>>
>>14754558
The main problem with V is the story it tells really didn't need to be told. Same with portable ops, same with peace walker.

Doesn't help the plot for all three of them also vary in quality from meh to shit.
>>
>>14754569
What story "needs" to be told senpai
>>
>>14754558
Yes, I don't think anyone could argue against V not having some of the best gameplay and controls of the series, bu the story and some of the elements like base building and vehicles/weapon customization seem half finished.
Lets not forget about that island map that was cut out entirely.
>>
>>14751366

how come they never include Arsenal here?
>>
>>14754590
It wasn't a Metal Gear, it's a carrier for them.
>>
>>14754582
Snake and Otacon's adventures as Philanthropy would be cool
>>
>>14754582
One that mattered to the overarching story or added to the existing universe, if it does neither it shouldn't be attached to the series. All three of those tell garbage stories that add nothing and almost each one detracts from existing story elements.
>>
File: tumblr_m1sakjlDLX1r9ehfk.jpg (20KB, 500x245px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m1sakjlDLX1r9ehfk.jpg
20KB, 500x245px
>>14754598

Gotchu senpai
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6685474/1/Tears-of-a-Steel-Moon
>>
>>14754602
Can you explain how PW and V don't add to the overarching story or universe? The fact that they exist at all, by definition, would add to the story and universe.
>>
>>14754569
Portable Ops is in that bad spot where it makes sense as a Gaiden story, and it helps to write off just how BB has the funds to do what he's doing... and yet it gets trashed on and routinely bears the brunt of NOT CANON accusations.

It's definitely disjoint from the Peace Walker - V arc which itself has problems because the big payoff is half flaccid "wait how is it over?" and half Kojima directorial wizardry that sells you on BB playing the Medic like a fiddle as being brilliant.

I mean, V really sells its stuff on the back of its direction, the themes are like an afterthought and Kojima just trolls us with postmodern nonsense ripped from the MGS2 playbook.
>>
>>14754541
>only one boss fight, plus a "dump the water on Volgin" event
>no first aid or rations because you heal like Wolverine
>R&D can build a homing missile at lvl 16, but you ned lvl 25 to fill a bottle with gasoline an a rag
>impossible to carry two pistols
>codec is only for SO THIS IS RAVEN TERRITORY
>areas of interest only moderately different and separated by huge empty spans of wasteland
>weapon/equipment upgrades only moderately different and separated by huge empty spans of moneygrinding and kidnapping
V was like a big stack of pancakes with lots of syrup: all exciting at first but by the end you're fucking sick of it.
>>
>>14754615
Don't both V and PW also contradict with the story in the pre-solid games?
>>
>>14754618
You better not be arguing that dropping supply crates on Quiet disqualifies her from being a boss fight.

I can give you the Skulls not really being a full boss fight's worth of encounter material, but Quiet was a solid instance of the franchise staple sniper duel.

And Volgin is actually a rather cute fight and is reminiscent of Sorrow in how unconventional they are.
>>
>>14754627
Metal Gear as a franchise is notorious for retconning itself with pretty much each entry.
>>
>>14754618
>V was like a big stack of pancakes with lots of syrup: all exciting at first but by the end you're fucking sick of it.
>retarded food analogy
please don't
>>
Too bad Hideo Kojima is a shit director. He ruined metal gear when he couldn't accept that Portable Ops was better than anything he ever made.
>>
>>14754641
>Doesn't know/appreciate Mitch Hedberg
You have to be 18 years old to come to this site, young man
>>
>>14754642
PO is the game contrarians latch on to as "teh best metal gear evarr!!!!" because literally no one has played it.
>>
>>14754627
One problem is that the pre-solid games were made before the collapse of the Soviet Union, and so assumed the USSR would still be around into the late 90s. When Solid came out, the USSR was gone, and they had to re-align the timeline around that
>>
>>14753229

...How the fuck did you not grasp the symbolism of the inferior Metal Gear piloted by Solid beating the superior one with Liquid behind the wheel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxU2eqZtYmc
>>
>>14754648
I'm underage for not knowing some comedian who was briefly semi-famous 20 years ago?
>>
>>14754590
It's right there in the background.
>>
>>14754662
I don't care about symbolism, it literally shouldn't have been able to win. No reason given gives it a logical reason that REX should win.
>>
>>14754670
Actually, that's outer haven.
>>
>>14754677
It's very simple: industry hype.

They never bothered to test it against a REX built to the specifications of the original, thinking that it'd be good enough against the inferior copies being made all over the world.

But mostly it's because the REX at Shadow Moses was overengineered to the point of absurdity, all things considered. Even without its nuclear attack functionality it's a walking FUCK THIS AREA IN PARTICULAR piece that could conceivably still shred a RAY in a line of sight confrontation.
>>
>>14754663
Hey he was very relevant up to his death 11 years ago, get it straight. Also yes.
>>
>>14754712
literally all he ever did was make a movie no one watched and got on a talk show no one except old people watched.
i doubt even 5% of 18+ year olds would recognize his name.

i only know him from those osaka azumanga diaoh edits.
>>
File: mpo5.jpg (105KB, 384x384px)
mpo5.jpg
105KB, 384x384px
>>14754649
me and Airbrush both enjoyed it. Was good. It was my favorite for the online gameplay.
>>
>>14754739
>enjoying quick headshot mash select-R to Fulton away to save a character

It was garbage and I can't in full conscience say I miss it.
>>
>>14754719
His stand-up CDs and his stand-up in general were very popular, he was on the path to being a massive hit right when he died. He since gained a cult following that slowly grew more mainstream, like how Iron Giants popularity went.
>>
>>14751403
Why's Jehuty's grandma bullying Kurt Russel?
>>
>>14754739
>snapshit enjoyed it
See, PO is fucking terrible.
>>
>>14754648
Hedberg is the one with the "Fettuccine Alfredo is mac and cheese for adults" line right?
>>
File: image.jpg (135KB, 1160x817px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
135KB, 1160x817px
>never coming back
>>
>>14751366
I'd probably go with Rex and Sahel is a bigger bladder Rex which is also awesome but wasn't functional without psychic powers so doesn't really count.
>>
>>14752757
MGS4 was dumb but Ray was always mass produced crap.
>>
File: yukarin9.png (61KB, 215x196px)
yukarin9.png
61KB, 215x196px
Why did they even need the RAY to take out the REX/copies of it?
The REX's large and exposed radome can be easily taken out by any direct-fire main gun from a modern AFV and once that's done the REX is permanently blinded. It either retreats, surrenders/is scuttled or the pilot opens the cockpit to see out and gets torn to shreds when an AFV just fires some HE rounds at the mouth area.
The REX's strength is the ability to fire a sneaky nuke from anywhere and the RAY doesn't carry any kind of equipment to detect that and counter it anyways, and it's not any better than some tanks and IFVs at taking it out in direct combat if it does find it.
>>
>>14755855
An excuse to build more robots

C'mon think of the robots
>>
>>14755855
What I want to know is why produce something to counter something that isn't even mass produced. There's only one REX, and, no matter who gets the schematics, there's no way in hell someone could put it together in the same quality as REX. And REX can already be taken out by a single man, nevermind the possibility of actual anti armor weaponry.
>>
>>14755855
Because in case you forgot, the radome required several direct hits from artillery grade weaponry to take out, REX itself is a hell of a lot faster than a tank, and the only reason Snake was able to take it out was because he's a genetically engineered clone of the greatest soldier ever and because Otacon was a dork and intentionally gave REX a weak point. And even he needed an assist from a super cyborg to win.

Assuming REX's durability and agility are consistent in gameplay and story, even a small group of AFV's probably couldn't take it out before getting destroyed, especially if their operators are even less capable than the Genome soldiers (who were supposed to be the pinnacle of special forces, lest we forget), and even moreso if the copy REX's had designers smart enough to remove the video game weak point.

I mean, just try soloing some of the Outer Ops with ZEKE in PW. Totally doable.
>>
>>14755947
Isn't ZEKE smaller, faster, and equipped with better weaponry than REX?
>>
>>14755962
I don't know about smaller, but it is a bit faster since it has rocket skates. I still think REX could probably outmaneuver most artillery setups and tank enough hits from the few it can't.

Anyway, ZEKE can have the exact same weaponry as REX, but it's all irrelevant since it's only ZEKE's railgun that can oneshot everything anyway. Although the homing missiles are great for AoE. REX has homing missiles too though
>>
>>14754771
Yes
>>
>>14752757
>it made no sense
of course it did, nanomachines son
>>
>>14755962
I don't think ZEKE had an FEL
>>
>>14752672
But is it cute?
>>
File: IMG_1208.jpg (23KB, 250x186px)
IMG_1208.jpg
23KB, 250x186px
OK, so REX was Army, RAY was Navy/Marine Corps, so what would the Air Force Metal Gear be? ICBMG?
>>
>>14758719
Air force would use a modified Chrysalis AI weapon designed to act as the world's most terrifying attack helicopter complete with nuclear attack functionality. And drones. That also turn out to be nukes.
>>
File: TX-55_ModDB.png (280KB, 620x443px) Image search: [Google]
TX-55_ModDB.png
280KB, 620x443px
>>14752868
Seconding. At least you can transport these without drawing attention.
>>
>>14755962

ZEKE is kind of the closest thing to proto-REX, anything it can do REX can do better

REX is meant to be the ultimate Metal Gear, it's just one that never got to actually be that on screen thanks to it only being in MGS1, and being a dusty wreck in MGS4 (which still smashed the shit out of a top of the line dedicated anti Metal Gear even in that reduced state)
>>
File: jehuty_in_1080p.png (251KB, 500x366px) Image search: [Google]
jehuty_in_1080p.png
251KB, 500x366px
>>
>>14754642
>tfw I agree with Snapfit for once
What has the world come to
>>
>>14758858
Air force don't fly helicopters.
>>
>>14754642
>PoOPS
Wow, you really are a dedicated shitposter.
>>
>>14759554
Don't worry anon, we all say stupid shit at least once.
>>
I honestly feel like Cocoon was my favorite design besides Metal Gear Chaioth Ha Qadesh from Ac!d 2.
>>
>>14754677
RAY was designed to destroy REX's inferior unlicensed clones. I repeat, shitty knock-off of REX.
They don't consider the power of real REX when designing RAY because they thought that thing is already gone and no-factor. But surprise, it's still alive and kicking RAY's ass easily.
>>
>>14754614
PW just reiterates that Big Boss feels really bad about The Boss. MGSV introduces a fake Big Boss that impacts absolutely nothing because nobody outside of 3 people know he's a fake. You could ignore both games and nothing else in the series would change, therefore they quite literally add nothing to the overarching story.
>>
>>14751466
remember how they put this thing in mgs4 and then forgot to give the player any reason to ever bother using it
>>
File: 8657534342.jpg (90KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
8657534342.jpg
90KB, 1280x720px
>>14751366
>no EXCELSUS
>>
>>14760073
Remember how Snake crawling through the microwave tunnel was stupid and unneeded since he coulda just sent the MK2 through there to press the button?
>>
>>14760084
not nuclear
literal fucking PR
>>
>>14760084
Camel Spider Mech with the name Metal Gear slapped on for PR purposes (explained in codec info dumps).

It's still rad as hell, though REX is still the best.
>>
>>14759836
Why do these stories need to add to the overarching plot to be good? MGS1 also adds almost nothing other than Liquid and Ocelot and everyone seems to love it
>>
>>14760142
but then you wouldn't have got to watch snake's butt explode
>>
>>14760172
>not nuclear
Neither was Ray, but no one ever says it's not a Metal Gear.
>>
File: 1472582058090.png (304KB, 490x324px)
1472582058090.png
304KB, 490x324px
>>14753821
bruh, like whoa
Thread posts: 109
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.