[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Patlabor 2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

I just watched the movie and what in the actual fuck? This was nothing like the first movie or the anime series (yes I know it's not the same timeline). I have a lot of questions because many of the cultural references went over my head.

-What's the deal with the birds? They were everywhere in the first movie and then there's the Yatagarasu which is typically ominous, but are seagulls also ominous?
-Did Nagumo turn herself in with Shige?
-What is the parallel between the JSDF's deployment in Cambodia and wanting to start a war in Japan itself?
-Why does Shige want to see the future?

I hope you guys understood better than I did because I'm confused as hell.
>>
>>14751191
Have seen the "Early Days" OVA before starting the movie?
Now, I will attempt to answer your questions.

>-What's the deal with the birds? They were everywhere in the first movie and then there's the Yatagarasu which is typically ominous, but are seagulls also ominous?
Sorry, but this beyond the scope of my knowledge. Someone with major in literary or film theory might help.
>-Did Nagumo turn herself in with Shige?
No. She arrested him the way police in Asia does. Which was actually an emotional and intimate moment between them, as they reunited after these years
>-What is the parallel between the JSDF's deployment in Cambodia and wanting to start a war in Japan itself?
Years of peace after great the defeat has made the average Japanese misplaced from reality of conflict. To make them experience the chaos and shake them to senses, he planned all this chaos - as I interpret. And some underhanded commentary on nature of JSDF and having a conventional army, I think. There is credence to statement many say that awareness of post war Japan is quite essential to get the themes of this movie, considering 60s student agitation had an impact on Oshii which also resulted in Watch dog of hell franchise (Jin rou, red spectacles, stray dogs)
>-Why does Shige want to see the future?
Japan gains it's manhood again. Something like that. Or how things will with changing time, whether Japan is able to assert itself or not.
>>
>>14752389
I would like to add that even I got bored first time I watched since all I did see previously was Movie 1.
Years later after watching Early days OVA and the Movie 1 again, this time around I enjoyed it.
At it's core, it is mostly that one last mission and reunion sort of things of SV2 after many went to their individual path years later.
Like gather with your hommies for one last gig sort of thing.
>>
>>14751191

certainly not what we got. The further we move from the future we dreamed of in patlabor the sadder I get.
>>
>>14751191
The second movie pulls in characters from much later chapters of the manga, while most of the rest of the anime follows the characters from the early manga.

The third movie, WXII, wasn't even written as a Patlabor script, the Patlabor elements were added to the already existing script.
>>
>>14752389

I got this impression as well. Japan doesn't really know what a war is, lives in a peaceful society that benefits from the fact it doesn't participate in other nations' wars, has a self defense force that it technically shouldn't have, and complains about the UN expecting it to contribute on the global stage despite being a country that has renounced war. I think people want Japan to stay peaceful with the hope that other countries one day may follow, but Oshii presents an argument through Arakawa that peace is not some absolute concept as much as it is a part of war. Wars can be started during peaceful times and peace can be created through war.

I read the Oshii and Miyazaki interview about the movies and Oshii seems to suggest that Japan should become more militarized. I looked into the birds more and they are apparently representations of gods that are judging Japan for its hypocrisy.
>>
>>14752457
Wasn't the Wasted XIII a whole arc in the manga?

>>14753663
If you think this interview suggests Oshii wants more militarization, I guess it would be hard to misinterpret that. But Goto is so often the voice of reason in Patlabor, and he was the one arguing that an unjust peace is superior to just war, or however they phrased it. I mean, of course seeking more militarization doesn't mean turning Japan into a nation of hawks, but I would at least count Patlabor 2 as still an anti-war film.
>>
>>14753663
>>14755722

I don't really see that as what Oshii was trying to say either.The entire interview between him and Miyazaki seems to express more of a sense of lost of direction as a society than feeling the need to militarize. Take note that this is around the time when the bubble just bursted in Japan.
>>
Patlabor is about the characters, does anyone really care about the timelines? Its a spattering of random shit that happened in their careers. It doesnt matter what order you watch it in its all good shit
>>
>>14756022
Thats the idea I think. In Patlabor Oshii was asking questions, not giving answers. A simple asian cartoon guy cant say whether unjust hypocrite peace is better than a shitty War to help those that provide that Peace for your country.

Whos more noble, Switzerland or Japan? Are they both countries that take advantage of others militaries while stroking their peace boners?
Remember, China and North Korea are ALWAYS right next door and they do have a bone to pick with Japan. Isnt it Japans job to keep them in check? Or do they just cry for help to the USA someday when their neighbors finally go off the deep end?
>>
>>14751191
>This was nothing like the [other piece of the franchise]
Welcome to the Patlabor triversa-universe!

>-What's the deal with the birds? They were everywhere in the first movie and then there's the Yatagarasu which is typically ominous, but are seagulls also ominous?
Nigga, omnious birds LMAO.
Just Oshii doing Oshii thing.
>-Did Nagumo turn herself in with Shige?
In the "still in love with you" way, yes. Goto BTFO.
>-What is the parallel between the JSDF's deployment in Cambodia and wanting to start a war in Japan itself?
Something about Shige's men left to die whereas Japanese people are all comfy away from conflicts.
He hopes Japanese People will be strong again.
Or something.

>>14752457
This is some high calibre bullshit.
>>
>>14752457
Patlabor has always been anime original. The manga is a side-project based on it.

i.e. you're spouting a bunch of horse shit.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.