[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /m/ think of the Devilman OVAs?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 10

File: you better fucking believe it.jpg (241KB, 1436x1076px) Image search: [Google]
you better fucking believe it.jpg
241KB, 1436x1076px
What does /m/ think of the Devilman OVAs?
>>
>>14750092
they're fucking neat
and laced with drugs
>>
File: Hootin Tootin Jinmen.jpg (185KB, 1436x1076px) Image search: [Google]
Hootin Tootin Jinmen.jpg
185KB, 1436x1076px
>>14750099
What do you think of the English dub?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhLJqSch0FHQD9QGvWtbdYy9LTv7aD7OE
>>
I don't know if this counts but I saw the Cyborg 009 vs. Devilman crossover with a pal and it was bretty cool.
>>
OVA episode 1 was the closest we'll get to a proper adaption
good art and style
>>
>>14750107
>I'M NO LONGER AMON, HE'S EATING SHIT IN HELL! YOU CAN CALL ME DEVILMAAAAAAAN
It's pretty much perfect.
>>
They get progressively worse. Was honestly bored through most of Amon.
>>
File: henshin.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
henshin.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>>14750245
>bored
You've got to be kidding me.
>>
>>14750298
Most of the good parts happen in the first 15 mins, save for the part where Amon chomps down a loli which actually succeeded at being a bit shocking that first time around. Definitely the worst of the OVAs, but still decent enough for what it was and also shamefully making me want to fuck Ryo, but it's not like the manga didn't do that too once Ryo became Satan. Stupid sexy Satan. But it makes sense that Satan would actually be really hot if you think about it. I have a love/hate relationship with a lot of the ways that Western/Christian mythology gets portayed by the Japanese. One thing that I always liked is that, coming from a culture that mostly just uses Crosses and Christian symbology in art purely for aesthetic value, Devilman had one of the more biblically accurate portrayals of Satan's character in modern fiction that I can think of, even if the story itself and it's interpretation of Armageddon was Nagai's own creation. I really do wish that we'd gotten a more faithful OVA adaption of the entire manga though.
>>14750107
This is always gonna be the definitive version to me, not that the Japanese version is bad or anything, but the English version while intentionally corned up still honestly fits the whole vibe of the show so much better precisely for that reason. It sounds mostly ad-libbed and surprisingly natural in most places, despite all of the British people trying awkwardly to sound American. Getting blazed and watching this on vhs in my buddies garage back in high school was actually my first exposure to anything Nagai, and I've been a huge unironic fan of almost everything that's come out of the guy's brain ever since. The first Devilman OVA, Shin Mazinger and Mazinkaiser feel like the closest anime has ever gotten in terms of actually capturing the same vibe as his manga.

More than anything though, a TV adaption of Violence Jack would make me the happiest man in the world but I know that there's no fucking way that'll ever happen.
>>
>>14750092
I liked the first 2, but I didn't like the changes compared to the manga. Amon was ok I guess. The Cyborg 009 crossover was cool, and it's funny if you consider that for both series everything goes to shit right after. Only problem I had with it is the modernizing, like characters using the internet for example, but that is only a problem for the Cyborg 009 side anyway so whatever.
>>
File: nightmare fuel.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
nightmare fuel.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>>
File: the ancient past part 1.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
the ancient past part 1.webm
3MB, 640x480px
Webm time. I'm making a few.
>>
File: the ancient past part 2.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
the ancient past part 2.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>>
File: i'm devilman.webm (2MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
i'm devilman.webm
2MB, 640x480px
>>
File: devil punch.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
devil punch.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>>
That end part was pretty funny.
>>
File: devil action.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
devil action.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>>14750817
Oops. Forgot webm.
>>
>>14750640
How is Cyborg 009? it seems kinda cool
>>
>>14751954
I like it. The characters and the art carry it, the plot is kinda simple anti-war stuff but still good, the action scenes are good too. Unfortunately the manga had some problems with publishing (changing magazines, meddling editors), leading to some things like an arc ending abruptly, retconning the origin of the main character only to have the retcon ignored right after, the author being forced to continue the story after writing the ending, and then dying before writing the new ending... Still worth a read anyway. Or you can watch the 2001 anime, it changes a lot but it's great, and somehow they adapted the last arc perfectly from the manga from what I remember. What I said about the modernizing being a problem is that to me at least the manga's anti-war themes have a lot to do with the setting of the Cold War, one of it's arcs is about the Vietnam War for example, and one of the main characters' back story involves getting captured while trying to cross the Berlin Wall.
>>
>>14750092
I like them a lot. All two episodes.
>>
Best Worst dub ever, still mad they never finished these. But with Cyborg 009 getting more content, maybe 009 vs Devilman was successful? Crossing my fingers
>>
>>14750092
/m/ hive mind declares that devilman isn't /m/ and that you should take it back to /a/.
>>
>>14752086
>Best Worst dub ever

But that isn't how you spell UK's english Ultimate Teacher dub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSDj5vgQ4OA
>>
>>14754607

The Uresei Yatsura dub where they all speak in cockney accents was great
>>
>>14754941
UY as chavs makes sense
>>
File: CJ5nffaUAAAthDc.png (168KB, 500x424px) Image search: [Google]
CJ5nffaUAAAthDc.png
168KB, 500x424px
I like them, but they don't compare to the manga. But it's hard to beat perfection.
>>
>>14753914
>One newfag declares himself to speak for all of /m/ when we've had regular Devilman threads since last decade

/a/ literally doesnt know who Go Nagai is.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.