[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When did you stop taking the mecha genre way too seriously?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

When did you stop taking the mecha genre way too seriously?
>>
The start.
>>
>>14746053
This. How do you take a genre of animu about big mechanical robots punching each other seriously in the first place?
Especially when they start pulling out swords and shit.
>>
>>14745991
You do know why the ELS turned into a flower though right?
>>
File: 1470850244658.jpg (48KB, 470x500px) Image search: [Google]
1470850244658.jpg
48KB, 470x500px
Autistic discussions on internet where one tries hard to insert academic analysis in their chinese moving picture sequences made me shut down my brain and realize the truth.

>>14746076
By saying
>"it's not actually a mecha anime"
>"it's not mecha with some plot. It's story with mecha"
>"mecha is just background stuff"
>"who cares about robot when so much 2deep4u stuff is there"
>"replace mechs with tanks and it's same thing"

Sometime I wish I had never interacted with animu "fans" outside /m/.
>>
>>14745991
I just take the serious with the goofy
Anyone else notice mecha has a lot of unintentional comedy? I don't hold that against mecha, I love it for that.
>>
>>14746081
I love how the 00 movie is a filter for retards like the OP.
>>
>>14746076
This is why I don't like mecha shows that take themselves seriously. I will never be able to take the concept of mecha itself seriously, so no matter how hard you drop those drama bombs, when it comes time for the robots to actually fight, any kind of emotional buildup goes out the window

The less realistic and the more ridiculous, the better. It's just a shame that most shows don't have fun with the concept of having a giant robot or existing in the kind of world that a giant robot could exist in. The few of them that do are my favorite shows.
>>
>>14745991
No, no OP. Your opening statement should be:
"WTF DID I JUST WATCH!?"
>>
>>14746076
With a context that justifies that. If you try to imagine a robot without context it's obvious that does not work.
>>
>>14745991
When have you begun to take seriously detective films, action movies, horror movies or any other narrative that is not a documentary?

It's pure entertainment. Autism reigns supreme when there are people taking any of these products too seriously.
>>
G gundam when I was 10. Taking things too seriously is a drag.
>>
>>14746391
So G Gundam is one of your favorites?
>>
File: woah.jpg (56KB, 350x263px) Image search: [Google]
woah.jpg
56KB, 350x263px
When I read Tips & Tricks issue 93. It was a triple feature - a guide for the Federation campaign in Federation vs Zeon, a guide for Robotech Battlecry, and a collection of building designs and tips for Armored Core 3.

The Federation vs Zeon guide showed all of the mobile suits, and I recall being intimidated by some of them (the Zeong in particular), but then I saw this guy in the bottom corner of the page, under a section where they talked about certain names in arcade mode letting you play as certain characters. I saw this guy and immediately took the game less seriously at a glance, although it would be 11 years until I decided to play it.
>>
I never did. To me, a good mecha is a story which uses giant robots to further a politically-charged plot.
>>
>>14746657
Pretty much everything Imagawa directed is on my favorites list (even Tetsujin), with Shin Mazinger being at the top

Weird and imaginative stuff like The Big O, Dai Guard, FSS and Gun X Sword are also can give me that same feel sometimes. I'm currently watching Hiwou Senki and it has some potential as well.

Basically, I just don't have any interest in generic space wars, so I'll probably never watch 0079 or any of UC or LoGH or anything like that
>>
>>14745991
What's wrong with taking the story and characters completely seriously while acknowledging that mechs are unrealistic?
I'll never understand the mentality of trying to be 'above' your hobby because it isn't super mature.
>>
>>14747310
It's not so much trying to be "above" something, which sounds pretentious as shit. It's more like a problem of mecha fights being cartoony and outlandish no matter the show they're in or how the show tries to frame it. The fights can be really jarring with series that attempt a more serious tone or that try to appear more realistic, so it often is more consistent if the rest of the show is just as wild as the robot fights
>>
>>14747310
This sort of. I can understand why some would think robots look cartoony, but I think it work so long as you have the right human elements in place. For example, having two characters fight for a well established and emotionally involving reason will always be exciting.
>>
>>14747213
this
>>
>>14746076
Just imagine it's like Wrestling and it suddenly makes sense. It's all seriousness in enjoying spectacles.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.