[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did this happen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 10

File: Untitled-1.png (2MB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.png
2MB, 1680x1050px
How did this happen
>>
File: Civ-8JUUkAAGEFU.jpg:orig.jpg (24KB, 320x396px) Image search: [Google]
Civ-8JUUkAAGEFU.jpg:orig.jpg
24KB, 320x396px
>>
I don't know, no one sensible would post a pic that badly done
Look at all that white, with all the promo pics for either series you'd think making one that looks good would be easy
>>
>>14745579
decades of weed and sleep deprivation.
Kawamori ain't what he used to be.
>>
>>14745586
It gets the point across, sorry for being lazy.
>>
AND
>>
>>14745593
>what he used to be
when did you think he was ever anything
>>
>>14745579

>60+ years in-between

Looks fine to me, I've seen power creep of similar scale occur in 3 months or less.
>>
>>14745579
Make a show about idols and continue to use the same formula thorough the years? whats the problem ?
>>
WE
>>
>>14745654
KYUN KYUN
>>
>>14745656
KYUN KYUN
>>
File: 1472646870483.jpg (450KB, 1492x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1472646870483.jpg
450KB, 1492x1080px
Reminder that the previously realistic gritty pro-war masterpiece Macross has been degraded into "Idols in space", it has fallen to the otaku pandering market and instead of being a stalwart for us manime fans it's now closer to AKB0048. Remember to support Sunrise and the upcoming gundam to show japan we like our pro-war realistic space operas and wont stand for our cherished long running masterpieces to be savagely devalued like this. First it was Macross, Next it'll be LotGH unless you do the right thing.
>>
>>14745579
>>14745654
SDF was a show about fighting a war against goofy aliens who were discovering Earth culture and wondering what the fuck was the deal with that. A very dense pilot had a romance with a teenager who was kind of a bitch who became a celebrity, and then had a love triangle. The focus was more on the fact that Minmay was a celebrity, and that music was a very easy way to spread Earth culture because her face is on everything and you just need to turn on the radio to hear it. When music was weaponised, it didn't have any unusual properties, it just made the Zentraedi go "what the fuck is this i don't understand" and freak out.

Fast forward to Delta and we have a not-magical-girl idol group using magical music while constantly holding mid-battle concerts to fight a magical partially music-based mind control plague against a bunch of assholes who won't shut the fuck up about the wind, where 3/5 of the idols are one-dimensional cutouts just there to sell music. And so on.

The magic music started at 7 so you can't really blame Delta for going off the rails but that doesn't make it any less stupid.
>>
>>14745666
>The magic music started at 7 so you can't really blame Delta for going off the rails but that doesn't make it any less stupid.
Disagree, Delta actually puts some kind of technobabble behind the music magic, in 7 it was just straight up fucking magic. If anything Delta DID make it less stupid.
>>
>>14745666
this
>>
>>14745670
Singing = magical fold energy that does whatever the plot wants isn't a particularly good justification.

I can go "no, it's not magic, it's just manipulation of atoms to create fireballs via incantations" doesn't make it any less magic.
>>
File: 1469991977760.jpg (1MB, 2358x3296px) Image search: [Google]
1469991977760.jpg
1MB, 2358x3296px
Don't you talk shit 'bout my Kumokumo. She's a best.
>>
>>14745674
>Singing = magical fold energy that does whatever the plot wants isn't a particularly good justification.
Probably not a good justification, but it's more justification than 7 gave.
>>
>>14745675
If you like pretentious bitches, sure.

What offends me more than the bad writing is how incredibly transparent it is that Walkure only exists because idol groups are popular, because only Freyja and Mikumo are actual characters, the other three just sort of existing with absolutely zero personalities or relevance, with the occasional half-hearted attempt to justify their existence like one being Messer's waifu or the ridiculous hacker shit.
>>
>>14745684
Kaname was more of a character than Mikumo until the latest few episodes when the latter started getting a personality and the former stopped having lines other than saying "Mikumo" over and over in a shaken voice.
>>
>>14745677

7 had Dr Chiba and called it sound waves instead of fold energy. Which is really much the same level of justification. The show had him researching it in multiple episodes, building different things to take advantage of it, the UN Spacy making their own band to do that and so on. Saying 7 made no effort to justify musical magic is ignoring a lot of things.
>>
>>14745690
This.
Pretty much the only thing that separates 7 from Frontier and Delta is that the latter linked it directly to fold and vajra while the other didn't make any such connection.
>>
>>14745691
>This.Pretty much the only thing that separates 7 from Frontier and Delta is that the latter linked it directly to fold and vajra while the other didn't make any such connection.

7 and Frontier for all their wackiness (7 more than Frontier) still manage to tell a compelling story. Delta fails at that. Actually Delta fails at everything except music. And that's the fucking problem.
>>
File: 1456379812274.png (9KB, 201x175px) Image search: [Google]
1456379812274.png
9KB, 201x175px
>>14745699
And if you're like me and don't like the show's j-pop to begin with, there's not a single good thing about the show.

It mostly succeeded in giving me a much higher opinion of Frontier, honestly. All of my problems with Frontier suddenly seem incredibly minor and the musical elements far more gracefully integrated when you compare it to Delta.
>>
>>14745579
Nothing. It has just done what it always has. The power of music and soaps in space.
>>
>>14745670
>Disagree, Delta actually puts some kind of technobabble behind the music magic, in 7 it was just straight up fucking magic. If anything Delta DID make it less stupid.

What bullshit. You didn't even watch 7.
7 revolves around the scientific power of music. From the first episodes it's clear the military is using Basara for their own agenda. How the hell do you think Basara come into possession of the red valkyrie ? It was given to him by the military (although without his black friend telling him the truth). And Dr Chiba ? Forgot about him and the whole tactical music team ? 7 has done more to demystifiy music than any other Macross series.
>>
>>14745705
>And if you're like me and don't like the show's j-pop to begin with, there's not a single good thing about the show.
If you don't like the music I think it's time to accept that you're no longer the target audience for Macross anymore.
It's clear that Frontier and Delta have teenagers who like that sort of music and theme as their primary target instead of mecha and macross fans.
>>
>>14745719
>It's clear that Frontier and Delta have teenagers who like that sort of music and theme as their primary target instead of mecha and macross fans

Frontier had j-pop music, but it also had all the trademarks of godly mecha fighting and itano circus. You know the one fucking thing that's completely missing in Delta ? The 2 series are not even on the same playing field.
I guess Delta-fags have nothing better to do than try to push Frontier into the mud with Delta. But it doesn't work, Delta is shit. Accept it and move on.
>>
>>14745725
Delta has itano circus and good mecha fighting. You're clearly not watching or just too stupid.
>>
>>14745725
Frontier was set in a highschool with a prettyboy MC and you're trying to tell me it wasn't aimed at teens? It was such a huge success exactly because it was aimed at a wide audience. There's massive amounts of people who never saw any Macross but Frontier, you just aren't seeing that many of them because you're on /m/. The Macross fanbase crowd might be very vocal but they don't have enough buying power to make such a massive blockbuster like Frontier happen.
>>
>>14745727
>Delta has itano circus and good mecha fighting
Good mecha fighting where only the Hayate gets all the screentime doing absolute nothing with recycled footages. Whereas all pilots in Frontier are relevant, each have their roles to play and have a significant amount of screentime.
>>
File: macross-hand-comparison.png (2MB, 1663x644px) Image search: [Google]
macross-hand-comparison.png
2MB, 1663x644px
Better comparison
>>
>>14745738
Ignoring the vocaloid mind control program again?
>>
File: nonyanallowed.png (259KB, 317x299px) Image search: [Google]
nonyanallowed.png
259KB, 317x299px
>>14745738
But Freyers is one of the few good things about Delta.
>>
>>14745731

> Frontier was set in a highschool

It wasn't. It featured a high school, but it didn't take place in one. Only one episode even gave the school prominence, and even then it was only for part of the episode with other stuff taking place in the wider setting. That's like saying Delta took place in an idol training camp.

Marcross Frontier was certainly aimed at teens, bit then, so is all Marcross. Frontier isn't the only one guilty of it, or guilty solely because it had a high school in it.

>>14745745

Why are you trying to pretend she's a protagonist, to say she should be in that picture?
>>
>>14745727

zero had better fight choreography than delta has so far.
>>
>>14745776
It baffles me when the fight choreography of the 14 year old Zero does way better than the modern CGI Delta.
>>
>>14745776
Zero was an OVA.
Delta is 2 cour series by Satelight, who cannot into scheduling. Kawamori wasn't even allowed to do missiles for more than a couple seconds because they couldn't afford it.
>>
>>14745783

How the fuck are Satelight still struggling for money after the successes of Frontier and the entirety of Symphogear?

I'll gladly admit my ignorance with regards to how revenue works in that respect, but surely they can't be so deep in the red that they could barely animate missiles.
>>
>>14745792
I don't know how the money stuff works but I'm assuming most of it goes to the production committee, not the studios. The music revenue obviously goes to the music labels.
And I believe it has less to do with how much money they spend on it but more with time even though they probably go hand in hand. Satelight notoriously fuck up schedules hard so they have to rush out the episodes and put in the minimum time needed to make the them look acceptable.
Symphogear had that problem in the second and third season too, where everything just falls apart animation wise in the second half while the first episodes look absolutely amazing.
>>
>>14745783
>can't afford fucking missiles

obviously i've read that before in these threads, and, if that is true, and not someone just shitposting with no source, then they should have thought of a way to make the dogfighting a little more interesting.

macross dogfighting was built around shooting as many fucking missiles as possible at something in order to kill it. not having missiles and fighting in the atmosphere just isn't as engaging, especially when actual skill to pilot is trumped by having some genki baka sing to give an inexperienced pilot the ability to outgun an ace.

they established that hayate is a good dancer with vfs; have the vfs fight in more urban environments where battroid is needed; these are alien worlds, so have an area with impossibly tall trees where dogfights can retreat to after fighting in the atmosphere; if missiles aren't an option for the production team, make fighting with guns more interesting by being in a non open environment. zooming around with shit cg that has absolutely no sense of momentum or force while pew pewing at each other is just not engaging
>>
>>14745792
They literally dump quite a sum of money into Walkure since Walkure is more important than Delta.
>>
>>14745792
>How the fuck are Satelight still struggling for money after the successes of Frontier and the entirety of Symphogear?

A couple of options :

- Embezzlement
- spending all the profits on alcohol and hookers
>>
>>14745804
It's not Satelight that dumps money into Walkure, it's Flying Dog. And they get all the Walkure money back with shitloads of profits.
>>
>>14745805
Satelight animators probably live off the budget of a cup of ramen a day.
3D animators might be better off though, they get one egg with their ramen instead.
>>
>>14745803
>putting VFs in settings where they can't just fly around aimlessly

That would require someone actually having to choreograph fights, rather than 2fast2furious-ing around with motion blur and jpop.
>>
>>14745808
>It's not Satelight that dumps money into Walkure, it's Flying Dog. And they get all the Walkure money back with shitloads of profits.

I just don't get how is it that Kawamori and Studio Satelight are in the inferior bargining position. After all Macross belongs to Kawamori right ? Without his consent nothing is done right ? So why are music companies, and other pulling the strings while the creator of the show and his studio get shafted ? At least they should all be on same level, in terms of profits.
>>
>>14745816
I have no idea, but I'm always hearing how some anime series get shafted by executives or something. Plus animators have been living in shit condition for years.
>>
>>14745816
Because of muh sponsors.
>>
>>14745805
Are you sure the money isn't for Kawamori's weed stash?

>>14745816
>>14745819
So, if the Macross series dies, it's not due to lack of sales, but the company going under. That's just brutal.
>>
>>14745822
Satelight probably won't go under, they have other profitable series, like Symphogear.
Macross might just go under because Kawamori can't get sponsors or some who let him do what he wants to do. Even though Delta is selling well sponsors are probably disappointed it isn't a huge success like Frontier was.
This is why Kawamori is getting chinese sponsors for his next original series, he's probably sick of executive meddling.
>>
>>14745803

> these are alien worlds

That's actually a good point. Al Shahal, Ragna, Color, Alfheim and probably a few others are all alien worlds and they look completely terrestrial. There's nothing alien feeling about them physically. Ragna had an odd culture but that's about it.
>>
>>14745826
If the current project that he is working is a success, then most likely the Chinese sponsors will probably help fund the next Macross project. If he could get sponsors from China instead of Japan since China is pretty much a wealthy nation now.
>>
>>14745836
Well, that might just be because the Protoculture just terraformed everything and seeded the wildlife.
>>
>>14745836
>There's nothing alien feeling about them physically.

Alien animals is the full extent of these things for the whole Macross. They don't land on whatever planet is in reach.

See the Heaven in Macross Plus (weird birds), that planet Macross 5 found in Macross 7 (those dinosaurs), the whaler planet in Dynamite 7 (space whales, duh) the planet of vajra in Frontier (well, vajra), and now Ragna in Delta (catfishes).
>>
>>14745803
I think it was beyond Satellite's ability to do much more than what they gave us in Delta. The non-Kawamori directors say they paid special attention to stuff like light reflection, but I think the only one who bothered to think about battle choreography was Kawamori. He made a big deal about teamwork in the dogfights in the early interviews, but we didn't get that. They probably didn't let him do what he wanted, which was closer to the stuff in episode 1, because they couldn't do it. I don't think Satellite has anyone competent left in their CG team.
>>
>>14745883

Well the Vajra planet had that weird ring thing around it. It might have been the Vajra nest or some other Vajra structure, but it was there and visible while they were fighting in orbit. I had forgotten that there was even a planet in 7 (i wasn't thinking of Dynamite at all), but yea them always being rather terrestrial looking with an odd looking animal or two is a good point.
>>
>>14745903
Those were Vajra as the ring disappears at the end, IIRC.
>>
>>14745579
Time has changed. We are the grandpa who will never understand the modern time we live in.
>>
>>14745962
>Time has changed. We are the grandpa who will never understand the modern time we live in.

Most people liked Delta.
The problem is not the show itself, it's the extended airing that gave us the rather weak-ish second half instead of a movie to tie it up.

Of course, there are genuine idiots but those should have left the train back in 95 along with Macross 7.
>>
>>14745815
This and windie knights are the worst attempt of replicating Yellows ever.
>>
>>14745979
>most people liked Delta
/a/ pls.
>>
>>14745995
But I liked Delta. It went into "Kawamori second half of the series" syndrome though
>>
>>14746012
And I did not. Windies are shit and background characters sans Messer were nonexistant. And Messer was killed anyway.
>>
>>14745618
The DoDonPachi series comes to mind. Not that quickly though.
>>
>>14745725
Frontier was pretty generic and awful too, man.
>>
>>14746111
Still better than Delta. Not that it's so hard to beat Delta.
>>
>>14745757
But, it plays a part in every Macross, and more so in the TV series'. And it was a plot point that was made with the female lead as its base, took control of everything, and brainwashed people in an effort to weaponize music that went way out of control.
>>
>>14746141

Yes, and she was a an antagonist, and has no part in a picture that only has protagonists in it. Not even all of them at that. There's no reason for her to be there, your wish to see more pictures of her not being a reason.
>>
>>14745886
>paid attention to light reflection

this isn't DYRL; no need to go overboard on technical details if the general motion is fucking garbage.

>made a big deal about teamwork

yes, like how no one could match keith except for messer, even through teamwork, until that didn't matter anymore after messer's death.

it's sad, really, because the idea could have been great. fuck delta.
>>
File: formation crossbone.webm (2MB, 856x480px) Image search: [Google]
formation crossbone.webm
2MB, 856x480px
>>14745886
We did get some teamwork.
>>
File: delta teamwork.webm (1MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
delta teamwork.webm
1MB, 640x360px
>>14747729
>>
>>14747729
>>14747732
>DELTA FIVU and friends

this was all one episode, right?
>>
File: teamwork.webm (2MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
teamwork.webm
2MB, 640x480px
>>14747735
The first webm is from episode 23 and I forget where the second comes from. This one is from episode 6 I think.
>>
Delta reached too big. If you want to tell the story of some literal whos in a literally where part of the galaxy, then by all means do it. Keep it small--keep the crisis in a tea cup. Delta is reaching for Frontier levels of urgency, and the enemy threat is just not up to the task.
>>
>>14747751

Frontier overstepped itself too really. And I like Frontier. The ending with Grace trying to hijack the Vajra fold network to take over the galaxy was stupid though, and keeping it a local threat to Frontier itself and maybe some other colonies would have been fine. Grace being part of some grand conspiracy to have a surprise enemy was dumb anyways, and Kawamori really needs to stop building up one enemy and then trying to wash them of all problems in favor of a real enemy who hasn't got anywhere near the focus at the last second.
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.