[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Literally what the fuck Tomino

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

>Thus, I have met you, a person named Shou.
>You have not yet realized your own reasons for fighting, correct?
>Or do you seriously believe that it is to save Byston Well?
>You think of these as the problem of strangers,
>or is it that you enjoy the battles?
That's not true.
>Is that truly so?
Battle is bargaining with life!
As if there's time to enjoy that?!
>If that's the case, why did you not defeat the enemies,
>Drake, Bishott, and Shot
>instead of being bewildered by the enemies before you?
That's just logic!
Drake would defend himself!
>That is only natural.
>Overcoming that, is that not what a Battler does? Please do not be spoiled!

Why is he supposed to be spoiled
what is with tomino and all this fukcing spoiled shit every gundam mc spoiled spoiled spoiled fuck those bitches from tomino shows
>>
>>
I kinda sense this is about the nip word that can mean naive.
>>
Reminder this is the dialogue people say is amazing and subtle and a realistic depiction of human conversation
>>
>>14732935
Apparently the translation is shit.

Anyway, if he's finding fun in the battles and not taking the situation seriously, he's not going to kill his enemies. She's saying he should because it's a life or death situation.
>>
>>14732935
The subs for Dunbine are apparently quite bad.
>>
>>14732935
>>14732965
I want to rub myself her in bubblegum blue hair
>>
>>14732935
Blurays fucking when? How come Japan releases shitloads of old shitty shows; but the quintessential medieval mech fantasy has been left out?
>>
>>14732987
>[Judges the writing of Japanese shows based on obviously amateurish literalized translations] Haha fucking owned Tomino you hack!!!
>>
>>14733031
>>14733169
Is this the DVD release, or fansubs?
>>
>>14734330
I didn't know it was fansubbed
>>
Is it worth watching Aura Battler Dunbine if the subs are crabsticks?
>>
File: Sirbine art.jpg (581KB, 1000x783px) Image search: [Google]
Sirbine art.jpg
581KB, 1000x783px
>>14733169
It's about the level of some of the better crabsticks, as far as I know. You'll get the general idea of what's happening, but that's about it.

>>14734330
It's the DVD release. Dunbine is one of ADV's fucked up translations that nobody's redone. Apparently they were pretty slapdash about getting it done, since the only reason they licensed it was because Carl Macek was apparently a huge fan of Dunbine.

>>14734513
I'd say so, if you like Tomino's stuff. The dub is pretty hilarious, too.
>>
>>14734513
It's not like they're in engrish. I never had any problems figuring out what was happening.
>>
>>14732935
> North Americans subbing his shows poorly is Tomino's problem.

Ok then
>>
>>14734950
No one is saying the guy is flawless, they're just saying it's fucking retarded to judge writing quality based on subs.
>>
>>14734536

A reminder that because nobody has resubbed Dunbine, Carl Macek is the only reason we have it in any semblance of English at all.
>>
>>14734972
Fuck Macek, no wonder it's a piece of shit translation.
>>
>>14732987
Thats not what tomino dialogue is known for at all. Its famous for being weird and stilted. So stilted it becomes sort of iconic, in ways that don't really translate to english
>>
>>14735005

And yet nobody has done a better job.
>>
>>14734970
I don't know if this was meant to disagree with me, but that was what I was saying.
>>
Wait, weren't there some other, older subs?
IDK Shin-Getter's or something.
>>
>>14734112
Animax is currently airing a HD remaster of the series. BD is mysteriously listed on Amazon. Soon.
>>
>>14732935
It's spoiled behavior to ignore or not take seriously your responsibilities
>>
>>14736523
Don't you dare crush my hope, kind anon.
>>
>>14732935
People are attributing this crazy dialogue solely due to the obvious shit translation but failing to realise that the real madness can't be made up by a bad translator.

>or is it that you enjoy the battles?
Sudden accusation out of nowhere.
>Is that truly so?
Sure is hard to belive that you don't like gambling with your life.
>If that's the case, why did you not defeat the enemies,
SUDDEN ABSURD SUBJECT CHANGE! If you don't like fighting why didn't you kill these guys?! Holy fuck this is pure Tomino, translators did nothing wrong here.
>Please do not be spoiled!
You need to kill all the enemies every time. It doersn't matter how badly it's worded, this is unreasonable.

The dialogue was fucking crazy in the original, a better translation would help the conversation flow better but she's still saying the same absurd shit.
>>
>>14738218
>You need to kill all the enemies every time.
>Don't kill the people who will keep coming back every episode until you kill them

Wew
>>
>>14738218

If you don't enjoy battle then you can minimize the time you spend battling by killing your opponents the first time you battle them so they don't come back. "Don't be spoiled" is probably something like " Don't be immature" or "Don't be idealistic". It makes perfect sense.
>>
>>14738420
What does not make sense is the expectation that killing them all is within the pilot's ability. Is she not having a go at him for not being good enough to beat them all? It's an unrealistic expectation that only a character in a show directed by Tomino would have.
>>
>>14734112
>Quintessential medieval mech show
You mean Galient right? Dunbine mevhs looks dumb
>>
>>14738434
Do you know the context of the scene or are you just inferring here?

She could have been complaining to him that he had been consistently not taking killing shots that he could be taking over several battles, as opposed to her issue being him not being good enough to kill every enemy on the battlefield in one battle. My guess would be that it is the former but Its been years since i watched Dunbine. The natural reading is the former as well given that she is asking him why he chose not to kill, " do you like battles? why dont you defeat the enemy?", if he was incapable of it then there would be no choice and no reason for her to ask this, the former reading makes everything she says consistent. It seems to me that you are just grasping at straws here to try to make a case against Tomino.
>>
>>14734128
Are you that shocked anymore?
This is the same board where people have cited game soundbites from DWG of Kamille as some damning critique of Zeta's dialogue.
>>
>>14735005
To be fair, part of this is also on ADV.
They picked up the show as a favor for Macek (partially because they figured his name would have enough pull to help move it)
and the end result just makes it clear ADV essentially went "Sure Carl, that's fine. You do whatever you gotta. We'll be over here trying to get this latest boob comedy for cheap."

Even before you get into the translation issues, the US release of Dunbine was a shining example of zero quality control being practiced. You don't have to dig too deep to find subtitle typos and inconsistent romanizations aplenty (and some even of things that should be easy to know as a western audience...they fucked up 'John Bull' for fuck's sake.)

About the ONLY area where one can really say ADV tried on this was marketing.
Which is probably why it shot them so hard in the foot. They figured between Macek and Tomino's names alone, they could spin gold on this and hyped it the fuck up - promotional deals, spreads in NTUSA, all the fixins...
...then they found out the hard way that old anime don't sell well...that goes double when the actual product is a mess.

...and that's the story of why the final discs now fetch such disgustingly exorbitant prices.

>>14735027
Likely for the same reason we only ever had crabsticks of Mazinger Z for years - subbers, while acknowledging the translation was terrible, still went "Hey, at least it's something" and moved on to some other project.
>>
>>14739640
I wish Discotek or Rightstuf would rescue the license. Maybe with the blu-rays.
>>
File: XsL7FB0.jpg (730KB, 1280x907px) Image search: [Google]
XsL7FB0.jpg
730KB, 1280x907px
>>14738649
You take that back right now
>>
File: Galient0073.png (983KB, 1365x2008px) Image search: [Google]
Galient0073.png
983KB, 1365x2008px
>>14738649
This is basically straight out of Dunbine
>>
>>14740197
That's all I'm asking.

However, I doubt we'll see licensed Dunbine anytime soon knowing that -final volumes aside- the DVDs are dirt cheap and very easy to get. If anything, they'll release Ideon instead knowing that they could stamp a "The inspiration for NGE" on the cover or something like that.
>>
>>14740197
Fuck, I would LOVE it if Discotek could save this one.
To hear them say it, they've been in talks with Sunrise, so who knows?

Not gonna waste away waiting, but it does give me a shred of hope.

>>14742028
>the DVDs are dirt cheap and very easy to get.

Even that's shifting.
Used to be only the last two were pricey, now that price uptick is starting to creep back into just the entire back end.

That said prices are for a series ADV half-assed just makes it that much worse...
>>
>>14739640
>Likely for the same reason we only ever had crabsticks of Mazinger Z for years - subbers, while acknowledging the translation was terrible, still went "Hey, at least it's something" and moved on to some other project.

Additional note on this one - look at how long we've had only bootleg subs of Dragonar to work with.

and even that clean-up is STILL taking a long time.

That no one's tried to fix Dunbine is sadly not that shocking. More people would rather try and work on something that hasn't been even remotely done in English yet than something that's at least got a sloppy, error-riddled patchwork that kind of gives you an idea what's happening.

One leg beats no legs and all that.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.