[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Darkest/Best/Spoofiest Tokusatsu?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 38

File: grey classy af.png (446KB, 718x493px) Image search: [Google]
grey classy af.png
446KB, 718x493px
I watched Kamen Rider Ryuki, and Timeranger, and I want more.
We all know that the best of any franchise series is the one with the darkest, most violent, or most depressing tone.
In your opinions what are the darkest Kamen Rider series?
What are the darkest Sentai series?
Any other suggestions? Dark Ultraman perhaps?

On a side-note, I watched Akibaranger and I absolutely adored it. So I would also like to know what was the most spoofy/trope-y Rider/Sentai
>>
>>14722513

Shin plays out more like a monster horror film than a super hero show
>>
>>14722528
Shin? izzat a Rider or a sentai? "Mosnter Horror Movie" got my attention
>>
>>14722528
OIC.... rider... Just attempted to google
>>
>>14722534
It's a Rider movie. ZO is much better at being both a rider and a horror movie though. Shin will bore you to death. There are no dark sentai.

What you really want is Garo, which has blood and tits and everything you seem to want.
>>
File: 1442073663037.jpg (230KB, 806x1076px) Image search: [Google]
1442073663037.jpg
230KB, 806x1076px
Open your eyes for the next Faiz
>>
>>14722546
I noticed it's harder to have a dark Sentai, because there is a "team" there is friendship and hope, whereas Riders always ride alone.
>>
>>14722565
After V implies that it's just as much soul-crushing drudgery as any Japanese job.
That's probably darker than the usual "dark" toku material when you think about it.
>>
>>14722513
>Dark Kamen Rider

Most of the series have at least a couple dark moments because being a Rider is suffering.
>>
>>14722570
That kind of humor seems like it could be up my alley.
>>
>>14722583
it's a fun low budget comedy about the team going out drinking after work juxtaposing Japanese office bullshit with sentai
>>
Guyver 2 was cool and the Zeiram films are neat
>>
>>14722582
I did notice that theme while just doing research.
Of course I mean one that is particularly dark/depressing.
I also noticed that much of Japanese TV has the "Hamlet-Effect" of having absolutely everyone we care about die in the last episode (so the series can't possibly continue). So I'm getting kinda used to that.
>>
>>14722590
>one that's particularly dark

The Showa series ping-pong between goofy and bleak, Amazon in particular gets really bloody, and I would also recommend checking out what's subbed of the original Kamen Rider.

As for Heisei series, here are some you should check out.

>Kuuga

Godai himself is the most positive, upbeat protagonist you'll find, but the show itself has a triple-digit confirmed body count before it even ends and a lot of on-screen deaths to boot.

>Agito
Same deal with the gruesome on-screen deaths, also being Gills is absolute suffering.

>Ryuki
Everyone dies.

>Faiz
MISUNDERSTANDINGS.

>Blade
Starts out goofy but has a pretty fucking dark ending.

>OOO
Pretty light-hearted for most of the series, but the final arc gets really bleak

>Gaim
See Ryuki
>>
>>14722611
Thank you, This is a really thoughtful response.
>>
File: PR_RPM_logo.png (67KB, 288x174px) Image search: [Google]
PR_RPM_logo.png
67KB, 288x174px
>>
>>14722611
>>14722614

Also, I'm going to go ahead and echo the suggestion for ZO above. There's like zero character development to get you invested in anyone enough for me to call it "depressing" but it's pretty fucking spooky in terms of monster design, and is just a really entertaining movie in its own rights.

I will also echo the recommendation for Garo, in particular the first two seasons and associated movies. (the other live-action works are okay, but not nearly as good). It's explicitly aimed at an older audience and deals with more mature themes as a result.
>>
>>14722611
>about to watch Gaim
>See this
fug
>>
File: 5 rangers.jpg (52KB, 624x475px) Image search: [Google]
5 rangers.jpg
52KB, 624x475px
Spoofiest?

Ultraman Zearth
>unlike the other Ultramen, Zearth is afraid of getting dirty and is an extreme germophobe.

Akibaranger

Dunno about Riders
Den Ace
>Man fights monsters by either groping a girl or drinking beer to become giant.
>loses his head the first episode.
>Monster dances over the credits.
>Den Ace comes back to stop the evil Alien Oppai plans.

Then there's comedy bits like Kamen Rider HG, Hard Gay as a Kamen Rider.
And of course, Down Town's Five Rangers.
>>
>>14722513
>In your opinions what are the darkest Kamen Rider series?
>What are the darkest Sentai series?
About KR, the beginning of Black is pure terror. It looks like an 80's terror movie. The series/movies has a more serious tone and almost do not have space for comedy.

About sentai, many titles from mid 80's are pretty hardcore... In general, early sentais has bad coreography with old actors (79-84), while sentais from 2000's are softcore, with tons of CGI, and young actors. However, in mid 80's you got mech arms ripped, legs destroyed, kamikaze attacks. Same thing for the human fights.

I recomend Changeman (85), Flashman (86), Maskman (87) and Liveman (88). All of them has the same "core": they got nice themes, enemies and fights, being pretty more violent than the rest. Talking about 90's, try Jetman: the enemies are dumb as hell, but is one of the most controversial sentais ever, with good mech fights. About Zyuranger, it's also good, specially to compare with Power Rangers season 1.

However, if you REALLY want violence, you need to watch 80's metal heroes, specially Juspion (85), Metalder (86) and Jiban (89). Metalder is dark, adult theme. One hero against an army. Juspion may look dumb, but the fights are raw (head rips, arm rips, shit like that) and Jiban is the most violent one: traumatizing deaths, overkill style.
>>
File: jiban.webm (3MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
jiban.webm
3MB, 320x240px
>>14722668
>>
File: juspion.webm (3MB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
juspion.webm
3MB, 400x300px
>>14722668
>>
File: black kr.webm (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
black kr.webm
2MB, 320x240px
>>14722668
>>
>>14722656

To be fair, I kind of overexaggerated, but most Rider series with more than a main and secondary Rider will have at least one major death. They also deal with the ACTUAL apocalypse (both via alien invasion and collateral damage by other people/organizations).

I like the show a lot though, watch it for sure.
>>
File: metalder.jpg (191KB, 359x369px) Image search: [Google]
metalder.jpg
191KB, 359x369px
>>14722513
>Darkest/Best/Spoofiest Tokusatsu
Gavan/Sharivan/Shaider has their spooky moments because of the maku magic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0GEJKkX7_g
Bizarre for a kids show, but they are not violent as it looks. If you want something a bit more punchy, try the 3 "next generation" movies from 2013.

Depressing theme? Metalder. The ending is depressed as fuck.
>>
>>14722656
Gaim strikes an odd balance of super dark and super goofy. I'd actually say it's the best to start with because of that. It gives new viewers a good range of what Karen Rider can be.
>>
>>14722668
Soda loved his drama. God bless him. I'd say Go-busters also works. By the end of it there were some pretty depressing concepts brought up. Not very high death count though.
>>
>>14722668
In terms of 90s Sentai, GoGo V is the absolute darkest. People are constantly in peril, and a demon clan are trying to wipe everyone out. It's like mashing the entire Rescue Police Trilogy into one show.
>>
>>14722734
>Depressing theme? Metalder. The ending is depressed as fuck.
yeah Metalder's pretty grim
like the monster who just wanted a wife and kid and Metalder kills him
or the robot who just wanted to play violin and Metalder kills him
>>
>>14723067
Metalder is not a well adjusted individual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WGFCBIiPJs

Bitching theme, though.
>>
File: gogov_20.webm (3MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
gogov_20.webm
3MB, 320x240px
>>14722760
>Soda loved his drama. God bless him.
THIS. And he has some "appreciation" about magic/dark themes, which can guarantee some spooky scenes and dark enemies. That mix of "metal/military heroes" vs "magic enemies" are always great.

>>14722774
>In terms of 90s Sentai, GoGo V is the absolute darkest.
Agreed. The Saima family is a great group of villains. And the theme is neat: a band of demons using dark magic to create armageddon was well used during 1999-2000, the supposed "end of the world". And the heroes and mechs using extinguisher, "rescue" vehicles and swords that can "invoke light" and shit like that was great. Another great example of "good tech" vs "evil magic".

By the way, the mech fights here has some nice moments. There are at least 10 episodes with pretty raw 2x1/2x2 fights, with arm rips and kilotons of explosives.
>>
File: metamorphose.webm (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
metamorphose.webm
2MB, 320x240px
>>14723067
>yeah Metalder's pretty grim
>>14723095
>Bitching theme, though.
Agreed. It was first Toei real "adult" series. Today, is a cult among toku, however, unfortunately made bad numbers at that time.

Ironies of life: Black was also aired in 87 and was a huge success. However, the character was already known and the "abduction" scenes were pretty disturbing, even nowadays.
>>
>>14723263
>local demons try to bring mom home before senility claims her
>get cock blocked by dickass scientist and his estranged children

GoGoV is really just a violent family feud.
>>
File: mfw.png (1MB, 1265x1005px) Image search: [Google]
mfw.png
1MB, 1265x1005px
>>14722546
MFW Guillermo del Toro just stole this idea from ZO
>>
File: garo-red-requiem-2.jpg (128KB, 671x413px) Image search: [Google]
garo-red-requiem-2.jpg
128KB, 671x413px
>>14722565
>I noticed it's harder to have a dark Sentai, because there is a "team" there is friendship and hope
Things changed, man.

In 80's, the focus was about adults fighting aliens in a raw way with bad practical effects. All sentais from that time were basically reboots of military Goranger's theme (Denjiman, Dynaman, Bioman, Changeman...).

In 90's, it was teenagers against monsters, with less violence, more presence of kids and mech combats (Megaranger, Gingaman, GoGoV). However, practical effects got pretty better (GoGo V and TimeRanger, the last examples of "old sentai"). Unfortunately, Metal Heroes were done.

Pos-2000, since GaoRanger, things got really different with "modern sentai". They tried to cast more "young nice guys" and "kawai girls" as main characters, using CGs and much less practical effects. The variety of themes was nice: beast, samurai, ninjas, sorceres, police, but they were definitely different than before, with much less violence and even more childish tone (endings with dancing, friendship themes, shit like that).

In general, I have some doubts if current jap kids really watch and buy it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-amniZ7CXc

>>14722546
>What you really want is Garo, which has blood and tits and everything you seem to want.
Nice choice - I completely forget about it. As an independent production, they are trying to hit the "young male adult" audience: darker monsters, edgy characters and tits.
>>
>>14724420
>GdT will never make a trilogy of Masked Rider The Black Sun, Masked Rider The Shadow Moon, Masked Rider The Century King
;_;
>>
>>14722546
Shin had some great fight scenes and the transformation scenes were insane/perfectly fit spooky toku

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7TnbrQHML0

Though the movie itself has problems unrelated to the action.
>>
>>14722513
What's that one jetman weed edit video?
>>
Shinkenger is a really dark sentai
The red starts out as being completely unsocial and never smiling, and his misery is a huge part of his character until the end where it's explained.
The sentai are the decendents of a previous team that failed, and mostly died - previous red is dead, pink was left paraplegic and comotose and could not raise her own child.
The villains are in a horrific limbo, and are mostly born from the sanjo river, made of human misery, running through it or are humans that fell there through acts of mass murder.

At one point, little yellow samurai with self esteem problems is going to die if the shinkengers can't retrieve her soul from a monster in the sanjo river and learn that they could go there if they did something so terrible it forsakes their humanity.
Everyone except red is actually seriously about to do it before gold comes in with an alternative.

It's pretty much my favorite sentai, like a good rider series there's a kind of optimism throughout and the darkness is to be overcome instead of celebrated.
>>
>>14726394
There's two of them, actually.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnSAsfNIafI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOzBNs8hyOw
>>
File: shinken dank.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
shinken dank.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>14726879
>>
>>14722668
>In general, early sentais has bad coreography with old actors (79-84)

Having actually watched at least some of the early sentai series, this absolutely isn't true.
>>
File: reds.jpg (86KB, 896x246px) Image search: [Google]
reds.jpg
86KB, 896x246px
>>14726969
>Having actually watched at least some of the early sentai series, this absolutely isn't true.
Basically 10 years difference between each one, senpai: an "old uncle" from 70's, military menudo from 80's, high school hothead from 90's, a "kid" from 00's+...

About coreography, many actors from 80, specially 70's, broke legs and arms because all of them were "stunts with actors roles". Since the retirement of Kazuo Niibori (red guy) in early 90's, Toei decided to separate main actors from stunts for logical reason: if something bad happens, they could be obligated to change/or even stop the show (the only exception was about Gavan and Sharivan). Result: better coreography and faster fights, without accidents.

Take a look at this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEfppv9oaPA

...and try to compare with THIS (10 years later):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IjK4ScD_rc

Incomparable.
>>
>>14726969
>this absolutely isn't true.
Before I forget: 27, 24, 21, 20-21 y.o.
>>
>>14727645
I don't really care about ages, I was more attacking your assertion that Super Sentai didn't have good choreography until Bioman. Battle Fever through Dynaman are all really solid in that area, imo.

I haven't seen enough of Gorenger or JAKQ to really form an opinion, although I've heard others say that Gorenger's choreography is pretty bad up until the point where the JAC takes over the stunt direction.

To be quite honest with you, I'm not sure what you're going on about with most of your post regarding stunts. But barring the face actor from doing stunts in suit has been a thing since Hiroshi Fujioka broke his legs.
>>
>>14726394
OP here.... I watched timeranger, and I just thought Grey's death scene was classy as fuck.

Didn't know about the weed video but thanks because now I know.
>>
>>14727892
The later Battle Fever J eps did have some pretty decent choreography IMO. My kingdom for another Dairanger though. Put ALL the budget into the fight choreography.
>>
>>14728011
>Drunken Boxing Jakiechanranger
With a robot made out of ladders and chairs
>>
File: Sun-Vulcan-frogs.png (334KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Sun-Vulcan-frogs.png
334KB, 640x480px
>>14722513
>Darkest
Kamen Rider Black has a real dark start but unfortunately doesn't keep that direction for long. Kuuga is the darkest full series.

>Spoofiest
1 + 2 = Sun Vulcan.
You must wtach Sun Vulcan. It's stupid and it knows it. The most fun Super Sentai.
>>
>>14728011
I have a soft spot for Battle Fever because I like it when a team has a fencer, desu.
>>
>>14728172
I wish Denziman was an option, since I found it honestly just as fun of not moreso.
>>
>>14728188
I love what I've seen of Denjiman but sadly it forever suffers from nosubs syndrome.
>>
>>14728296
At least somebody salvaged the scripts for the episodes DFF did.
>>
>>14728296
>>14728490
I know that Rampage are planning on doing that next, if they ever get to finish Goranger first.

Plus, the show has more of Machiko Soga.
>>
>>14722513
From what I've heard some of the Rider manga are darker than the shows managed.
>>
>>14723067
>the robot who just wanted to play violin and Metalder kills him
Didn't violinist robot just relocate to an amusement park?
>>
>>14728555
The original Kamen Rider was pretty horror-oriented for the first couple of episodes.
>>
>>14728550
Only thirty more episodes to go.
>>
File: showa x heisei.jpg (139KB, 1324x653px) Image search: [Google]
showa x heisei.jpg
139KB, 1324x653px
>>14727892
>I was more attacking your assertion
It's was just my opinion, mate. Just saying - in my opinion - early sentais (Goranger, JAKQ, Battle Fever) were pretty bad, like "prototype shows" with a severe lack of safety (for the stunts, specially metal heroes). Denjiman --> Dynaman were "just" bad for me, specially the mech fights, spandex visual and design conception (the earlier mechs were terrible...). You can have some fun? Of course you can. But I'm trying to talk about visual quality here, not exactly fun...

In general, things started to getter better with Bioman, increased with Changeman and got neat only with Flashman, 11 years later. Of course, I'm talking about overall production: effects, BGMs, fights, mech/character design and tone.

About coreography, I think it's a reflex of each epoch. Just it. Take a look at red guy: Niibori was a former swordsman, but their fights got "speed" and "ferocity" only 10+ years later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rr8hSZA2lg

About actors, well... It's pretty explicit the differences between those decades. I saw those Heisei Kamen Riders and just think - no "offense" - they look like faggots.

I like 00's+ sentais? Not much. But I have to admit they really tried to offer different themes (what's nice). However, they lack the macho visual instead of fags.
>>
>>14722570
>Hot, young, new yellow
>She's engaged
>Dat profound sadness
>>
File: bursting zits.webm (335KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
bursting zits.webm
335KB, 800x450px
Amazons has gory stuff like filename.
>>
>>14728631
>It's was just my opinion

Fair enough then.

As far as mecha fights go...I have to agree with you for the most part. However, I don't think the problem with them was with how the fights were choreographed but rather with the overuse of transformation stock footage in order to pad out the final five minutes of an episode. They got better about this when Super Sentai's run-time was shortened ten episodes into Dynaman.

I'm not really gonna touch on the other aspects of production too much because, to be quite honest, it isn't relevant to what I wanted to address in the first place. I do prefer Michiaki Watanabe's BGM scores for Gorenger through Goggle V though, they're simply too funky not to like.

Personally, I prefer manlier looking protagonists in my shows since it suits my taste a lot more. Still, folks using this image unironically is pretty silly, especially considering Renn Kiriyama did not look like that in W.
>>
>>14728673
The original Amazon is also pretty good if you like dismemberment and monster arterial spray.
>>
>>14722513
>We all know that the best of any franchise series is the one with the darkest, most violent, or most depressing tone.
If you´re still 12 and can´t deal with the fact you like shows for kids maybe.

As for recomendations, there´s no actually dark sentai/rider/ultraman. But in reality you´re asking for 4kidz dark sentai/rider/ultraman, so my recomendations would be

>sentai
Jetman,maybe Flashman
>Rider
Kuuga, Shin,ZO,Amazons
>Ultraman
Nexus

>So I would also like to know what was the most spoofy/trope-y Rider/Sentai
Akibaranger is hte only one within the sentai franchise that does so. Some people say Carranger but that´s only a few times, it´s mostly a straight sentai show.
There´s also After V to my understanding, but I couldnt get past the first episode.
For Rider there´s G and for Ultraman I dunno.
>>
>>14728765
> for Ultraman I dunno.

The aforementioned Zearth.

There are also the Nice commercials, but those don't really count.
>>
>>14728765
>Some people say Carranger but that´s only a few times, it´s mostly a straight sentai show.
I don't know how a show where the Green at one point daydreams about doing little kids' homework can in anyway be called a straight sentai show.
>>
>>14728811
>at one point
>show has like 50 episodes
Well ,it sure helps to base your opinion on the overall show instead of a specific scene.
>>
>>14729183
That was one scene of many, that were just straight up ridiculous:

>The enemy hires a villain consultant, and keep him on the payroll because he's cheap
>The team tames two wild cars
>The enemy had a sentai team complete with a remix of the OP, with lyrics describing running off into delinquency
>The red gets hassled by the extra ranger for jaywalking
>They cure the evil influence/ teammate goes bad by making him burp

>straight sentai show
No.
>>
>>14729237
Plus the mentor is a kid who pretended to die in battle, to blackmail the cowardly would-be heroes into helping him.
>>
File: HORY SHEET.jpg (14KB, 480x368px) Image search: [Google]
HORY SHEET.jpg
14KB, 480x368px
>>14728673
HORY SHEET
>>
File: mad gallant btfo.webm (3MB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
mad gallant btfo.webm
3MB, 400x300px
>>14728754
>if you like dismemberment
Slashing "metal villains" count, anon?
>>
File: metalder-18-arm-nosound.webm (2MB, 544x408px) Image search: [Google]
metalder-18-arm-nosound.webm
2MB, 544x408px
>>14731060
>>
File: MONEY MONEY MONEY.png (1MB, 640x1439px) Image search: [Google]
MONEY MONEY MONEY.png
1MB, 640x1439px
>>14731060
Yes, of course it does.

Plenty of other reasons to watch Juspion, though.
>>
File: amazon beheads.gif (1MB, 250x194px) Image search: [Google]
amazon beheads.gif
1MB, 250x194px
Amazon could get silly though...
>>
>>14731356
...That's one way to do a rocket punch.
>>
File: Ow_the_edge.jpg (63KB, 400x366px) Image search: [Google]
Ow_the_edge.jpg
63KB, 400x366px
>>14722513
>We all know that the best of any franchise series is the one with the darkest, most violent, or most depressing tone.

To actually answer your question, try Janperson or Changeman.
>>
File: Laughing Bant and Kek.jpg (30KB, 550x372px) Image search: [Google]
Laughing Bant and Kek.jpg
30KB, 550x372px
>>14722513

Well Maskman is utter tryhard dogshit so that'll be right up your alley. Seriously, it's the ultimate nadir of Sentai.
>>
File: images.jpg (22KB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
22KB, 512x288px
AmazonS would be the darkest, IMO. Although, I just find the series too edgy, personally.
>>
>>14732501
>Seriously, it's the ultimate nadir of Sentai.

Nah, that would be Fiveman.
>>
File: kek.png (941KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
kek.png
941KB, 1280x720px
>>14732501
>>14732585
>>
File: Hands-Up.jpg (42KB, 625x352px) Image search: [Google]
Hands-Up.jpg
42KB, 625x352px
>>14724420
On The Silver Globe, actually
>>
>>14732613
At least shit like Goseiger and Ninninger is fun.
>>
going along with that, what's the most violent toku?
>>
>>14732949
Amazons?
>>
>>14732949
Ultraman Ace.
>>
>>14733028
Watch Leo or Fireman, the fights are brutal.
>>
>>14732490
>Janperson
The updates being sporadic are no reason to avoid watching it, honestly.
>>
>>14732613
If you think Goseiger is the worst that Sentai has to offer, you clearly haven't seen much.

>inb4 NEVER FORGET.jpg
>>
>>14733080
I did watch Leo but I decided to post whatever 70s Ultra that came to mind instead.

Haven't watched Fireman yet.
>>
>>14722546
Great call. ZO is imo a tokusatsu masterpiece; it is indeed quite flawed story-wise but visually speaking it's one of the best ones I've seen. If only it was a mini-series instead of a single short movie...
>>
>>14722668
Also, while I am at it, I might as well praise this post for being so detailed. I've checked some of these on youtube and Metalder looks really interesting despite some of the really goofy looking enemies. If the plot and fights are good enough, I can get past that. It helps that I used to have a metalder toy as a kid (never knew what it was).

Do you guys thing KR will ever get back at doing a series that can be enjoyed by both kids and adults instead of really pushing the flashy colors and ridiculous settings? I thought Ghost was the limit of that goal but then Ex-Aid proved me wrong just with a trailer. I'd personally want to see another Blade or Faiz but without the filler episodes (blade) and the incredibly awful script (Faiz). I like Amazons but it is kinda edgy for edginess' sake.
>>
>>14734785
Probably not, unless horror becomes popular again and folks stop buying the collectibles.
>>
I would say Den O is actually one of the darker Kamen Rider shows if you look beyond its light-hearted tone.

In other shows, humans at most get their limbs torn off, eaten, turned into monsters themselves, commonplace stuff. However in Den O, if the Imajin have their way, the victim will cease to exist as if he/she was never there. In a way, this is more painful than any physical pain you can inflict.
>>
>>14733829
You might as well watch that one raw, because the only way to get Hi No Tori Fansub's releases of Fireman is on their website's forum.
>>
>>14735615
Well, that's not really a problem since I have an account there. The problem is whether they will finish it in the next five years or not.
>>
>>14722628
I really liked the writing of this series. The darker tone was awesome and i really loved the self-awareness. Like when they asked why they were wearing spandex if they were going into battle, or why the zords had googly eyes, or why there had to be a massive explosion every time they transformed and what would happen if he transformed in his kitchen. Shit was hilarious
>>
File: metal.jpg (428KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
metal.jpg
428KB, 1200x900px
>>14734785
>Metalder looks really interesting
Nowadays, Metalder become really a cult: lone cyborg hero fighting and army of evil robots. And the ending is really depressing - definitely the metal hero with biggest drama. It's not for everyone, but worth a look.

If you like it, I recommend to watch metal heroes. People talk much about sentais and KR, but metal heroes are neat too, with own style: space sheriffs, ninjas, police, cyborgs, all of them with nice tone and great practical effects.
>>
>>14737180
They get talked about a lot more since they have new entries every year. And subs.
>>
>>14735636
Unfortunately, it's hard to tell at this stage.

>>14737180
On a side note, some of the episodes are HK-only, but are either passable or amusing enough.

>>14737403
At the least, Sailor Otaku's releases usually get much joy, since the guy puts 'em out at machine gun rate after proper preparation.
>>
>>14724420
>Not knowing all spics are thieves
>>
>>14722668
Were the metal heroes inspired by Robocop or just part of the same robot trend?
>>
>>14722684
This is incredibly metal.
>>
>>14737730
Jiban certainly was.

Metalder was based on Kikaider, and while Janperson has shades of Robocop, it always felt more Robot Detective to me.
>>
File: 652323.jpg (382KB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
652323.jpg
382KB, 1500x1125px
>>14737739
Thanks, anon. Slashing space bitches since 1985.
>>
File: jiban's rambo mode.webm (3MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
jiban's rambo mode.webm
3MB, 320x240px
>>14737730
To be honest, metal heroes started earlier, in 82, with Gaban --> Sharivan (83) --> Shaider (84), the Space Sheriffs trilogy.

Then we got Juspion (85), Spielban (86), Metalder (87), Jiraya (88), Jiban (89)...

Robocop is from 1987 and influenced Jiban DIRECTELY (it was supposed to be a Jiraya sequel, with ninja theme, but producers changed it due to the success of the movie). Nice change.

Then, Jiban introduced the machinegun/bazooka + jetpack, when Hollywood decided to put it into Robocop 3 (1993).

Copies everywhere.
>>
>>14737730
It goes both ways, Gavan inspired the design of Robocop and Robocop inspired the premises of Jiban and Janperson
>>
>>14738148
Almost like a smaller scale version of the Doctor Who/Star Trek cross pollination with the Borg and Cybermen. Neat.
This thread has convinced me I need to get into Metal Heroes. I tried out Garo recently and while I liked the idea of a more "adult" toku, I didn't care much for the theme, but I love this shit.
>>
>>14737886
>while Janperson has shades of Robocop, it always felt more Robot Detective to me.
There's also a hint of 8 Man in his design, as well.
>>
>>14729237
Wait, you were serious?
>its a show about 5 colored heroes who fight motws sent by an evil group and finishes the monsters with a mech
>its not a straight sentai because goofy shit happens

No sentai is a straight sentai show I guess.
>>
>>14732501
Stick to Gokaiger

>>14732573
>edgy
In fact is one of the few media I´ve seen that attempts to present a "gray" conflict by actually doing so instead of the usual "a part of the bad guy´s motive is wellintended, he´s actually good guise!!".
It´s not really edgy,but definitely one of th closest to it.
>>
File: maximum edgy.jpg (39KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
maximum edgy.jpg
39KB, 640x480px
>>14738806
>No sentai is a straight sentai show I guess.
Yes. It's still a kids show. However, there are always more/less goofy, violent, dramatic or childish scenes/themes than others. Same shit for metal heroes, power rangers, KR, ultraman and even kaiju shows. That's exactly what people are discussing here: which one is more, which one is less.

In my shitty opinion, I love the 80's, but I have to admit sometimes Toei gone too far: Jiban has an unbelievable death scene, the most traumatizing scene in toku history: excessively edgy. As a kid, I got shocked. As an adult, I think it was too grotesque for a kids show (pic spoiler). Of course he got ressurected and blew the fuck out everyone's asses, but that's another story.

Nowadays, Toei try to avoid it adopting a more "family" style, almost Disney-like. Zyuohger is the actual perfect example.

So, series outside Toei, like Garo, are trying to fulfil this adult audience. Toho also tried it in 88 with Cybercops. Unfortunately, never got a sequel (but it's a good show, I recommend it).
>>
>>14739068
>Yes. It's still a kids show. However, there are always more/less goofy, violent, dramatic or childish scenes/themes than others. Same shit for metal heroes, power rangers, KR, ultraman and even kaiju shows. That's exactly what people are discussing here: which one is more, which one is less.
I literally never questioned that, but ok.

>Jiban has an unbelievable death scene, the most traumatizing scene in toku history: excessively edgy. As a kid, I got shocked. As an adult, I think it was too grotesque for a kids show (pic spoiler). Of course he got ressurected and blew the fuck out everyone's asses, but that's another story.
I havent watched the show, but it feels you´re just applying the edgy label to anything you wont see on the teletubbies anon.
>>
File: medic kisses.webm (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
medic kisses.webm
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>14732501
Not a big fan of Sentai but you just convinced me to download this. If you fragile manchildren hate it then it must be good.
>>
>>14739096
It's really just him and maybe some other guy. Maskmen is decently liked. Liveman is much more popular around these parts, though.
>>
>>14739096
Heart is a giant faggot I swear to god
>>
>>14739068
> almost Disney-like

...How? Just being family friendly is not enough.
>>
File: liveman_48.jpg (82KB, 640x440px) Image search: [Google]
liveman_48.jpg
82KB, 640x440px
>>14739136
>Liveman
Brain extraction can be extremely painful.

>>14732490
>try Janperson or Changeman.
Changeman was probably the best "military sentai" of all time. Unfortunately, some episodes (specially the last 2) were too "megalomaniac" for the 85's technology...

>>14740355
Since Disney got the western license, they started to change many sentai plots with Toei, to make the adaptation easier and friendly. Don't know about Nick.

>>14737886
>Janperson has shades of Robocop, it always felt more Robot Detective to me.
>>14738686
>There's also a hint of 8 Man in his design, as well.
Definitely. To me, Jiban is more "police guy fighting monsters", while Janperson is really a "detective robot fighting thieves, mafia, crazy robots" and stuff like that, with much more comedy scenes (Kevin robot, goofy enemies....).

>>14734785
>It helps that I used to have a metalder toy as a kid (never knew what it was).
It should have been - probably - a VR Trooper toy (the unholy Saban version of Metalder), mate.

>>14737730
>Were the metal heroes inspired by Robocop or just part of the same robot trend?
Winspector ep.31 showed a dark police robot kicking asses in NY. Basically an one-army evil american robot, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoH2X5oyP9c

>>14739082
>I HAVENT WATCHED THE SHOW, but it feels...
So stop this shit and download it.
>>
>>14743244
>Unfortunately, some episodes (specially the last 2) were too "megalomaniac" for the 85's technology...
I'm glad that Toei cut down on green-screening for a bit after Flashman.
>evil american robot
The evil part was only because he got stolen. Before then, he was doing the 'Murrican way of solving problems, for the sake of justice.
>download it
Might be tough for the anon to do, since only 1 episode got subbed for now.
>>
>>14743244
>Since Disney got the western license, they started to change many sentai plots with Toei, to make the adaptation easier and friendly. Don't know about Nick.

That seems kind of contrary to what I heard, which was that Disney did not give a fuck about marketing PR.
>>
File: yoko.jpg (37KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
yoko.jpg
37KB, 640x480px
>>14743270
>Might be tough for the anon to do, since only 1 episode got subbed for now.
Cowards! Learn filipino, portuguese or just watch the shit without subs! Do it for her, before she pulls the fucking trigger!
>>
>>14722656
It's not even remotely true, though a few riders do die. In Ryuki everyone does die and the world gets reset into an alternate world
Thread posts: 121
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.