[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Now that the dust has settled, what's next for Kenji Inafune's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 9

File: 1473472255777.png (230KB, 470x305px) Image search: [Google]
1473472255777.png
230KB, 470x305px
Now that the dust has settled, what's next for Kenji Inafune's Mighty Number 9 franchise?
>>
The trash bin.
>>
the bargain bin at 5 below.
>>
Nothing
>>
>>14718733
Better than nothing.
>>
Chapter 11
>>
>>14718713
An unmarked grave. Boy do I feel dumb for backing this thing.
>>
>>14718798
Don't, it was a great con job, everything seemed perfect when he made the pitch.
>>
>>14718841

No it didn't. It was pitched to a group of people so blinded by nostalgia they where completely unable to see the main had no actual game creating credentials. The only thing Inafune ever did was draw a bunch of robots. This isn't something like Iga or Suzuki who actually know how to make a game asking for money.
>>
>>14718841
>everything seemed perfect when he made the pitch.
That's why I don't kick myself over it, what we had at the kick-starter step loooked amazing and promising not to mention kick-starter still was still a novel concept. My only regret is I put a fair bit into and I woulda preferred being able to put that into DHMIS which is the kick-starter that fully paid off and I have pride for backing.
>>
>>14718713
BLACKED.com
>>
>>14718841
>>14718798

Wasn't a con job. They wanted to make a good game. It's just that Inafune, Inti-Creates and Comcept are just blundering morons.

Bloodstained might be having some of the same problems.
>>
>>14718853

The myth is that Inafuen is the creator of Mega Man. This myth seems to have taken hold in the early 2000's. Probably because Inafune is credited as "character designer" for a bunch of games, even if he only did a little bit of art here and there, instead of most of the character deisgns.

The reality is taht Inafune had very little role in MM1-2. He made a few designs, some animations, some promo art. But he was a minor figure. Akira Kitamura and Nobuyuki Matsushima were the key forces behind those games.

And games constantly are confused by the difference between a director vs. a producer. Often they credit producers for the quality of games when directors are way more important.
>>
>>14718873
True, but I remember that the initial kickstarter listed other people who were bailing out of capcom at the time
>>
>>14718873
This. Pretty much the Edison or Jobs of Megaman.
>>
>>14718864
Inti-Creates is a damn good studio that has made plenty of fine games. It's just that the focus with MN9 clearly wasn't with the game itself. Not after they got that first taste of nostalgiabux and started with all the multimedia shit before the game was even out.

Anyway, as for Bloodstained, the demo has been out for awhile now and it seems to be exactly what everyone wanted it to be. It bodes well on the final game. It makes me wonder if Kojima would do as well since he's also ex-Konami, but I guess Sony loves him too much for that to matter.
>>
>>14718886
>True, but I remember that the initial kickstarter listed other people who were bailing out of capcom at the time

All the "Mega Man veterans" that Inafune promised were artists and composers. Which is nice, but you need the directors and level designers. MN9 had rookies on the case.
>>
>>14718915
It also should be noted that Bloodstained goes no-holds-barred in how shamelessly it's aping the Igarashivania style.

Bloodstained is literally a Castlevania that was painted over to replace all Konami properties with OC Donut Steel material, and while I'm ok with it it's still fucking shameless as hell what Iga and friends are doing. Creatively bankrupt, dare I say.
>>
Are they still going to do that cartoon?
>>
>>14718713
I would normally post the Wonka meme, but that might be in poor taste.

>>14718864
>Inti-Creates
Not quite, considering that one higher-up who made a stink after the MN9 trailer came out.

>>14718969
At least Manami Matsumae wisely branched out for other projects.
>>
>>14718991

Nope.

They made a short video to show to investors and we've heard nothing about it since. That means no one paid a few millions to produce a series.

A big company like Square or Cpacom could do a multi-media release, but not some tiny studio like Comcept.
>>
>>14718991
What do you think?
>>
>>14718713
>what's next for Kenji Inafune's Mighty Number 9 franchise?
A funeral.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oShTJ90fC34
>>
>>14718975

Iga kept getting his budgets slashed. Order of Ecclessia had a budget half of his previous games, at a mere 500,000. Considering the game is as good as it was, it's remarkable. And Konami was not interested in making the Order of Ecclessia 2 that he wanted to. He then spent the next few years in the mobile division. None of his ideas were appreciated, because the kind of games he made before aren't fit for mobiles. And he felt that his job security was not guaranteed at Konami anymore. This was a first for him. Konami had changed. And it was just a few years until they entirely shut down their games division and fired everyone.

Once Iga saw that Inafune hit it big with crowd sourcing, Iga thought about doing the same. To be freed from the shackles of Konami and make the game he wanted to. That would mean some fan pandering, but okay, whatever. So I don't blame him at all.

Bloodstained is pretty much what an Order of Ecclessia for the 3DS would look like, with more of a budget, and more focus on a bigger castle.
>>
File: asadanakaris.png (83KB, 448x400px) Image search: [Google]
asadanakaris.png
83KB, 448x400px
>Kimo Kimo left Capcom to work on this POS
>>
>>14718873
>And games constantly are confused by the difference between a director vs. a producer

No kidding. Im personally really sick and tired of seeing Kojima getting credit for Zone of the Enders. In absolute fairness he himself never TOOK it so I can't really blame him if the internet is going to be stupid.
>>
>>14719038
Haters don't need to rely on logic, just look at David Crane getting blamed for Super Pitfall, even though he never was involved.
>>
>>14718975
I don't think it really matters. Castlevania was a really cool franchise, but it doesn't seem like it has a chance in hell of returning with Konami the way it is now. Of course, neither does Mega Man for Capcom, but the difference here is that for whatever reason, Castlevania's format (either classic or Iga style) doesn't seem to be anywhere near as popular as Mega Man's when it comes to the indie scene.

And that aside, there just aren't as many Castlevania games as there are Mega Man games anyway, at least as far as main titles go. The entire Castlevania franchise could maybe comprise 2-3 Mega Man series, and that's including all the awful 3D games.
>>
>>14718873
Except Inafune said himself plenty of times that he's the creator of Megaman. That is considered fraud because he didn't create Megaman.

Are we now defending this fucking jew ass shit?
>>
>>14719024

Well see it's shit like that make me likely to trust Iga with his kickstarter. He's a very hands on kind of producer who got his start actually programming shit on the PC Engine or something

I was all over Shemue 3's kickstarter not just because I wanted it but look at what Yu Suzuki did with his career. AM fucking 2. The man actually knows how to make a game.

Inafune is the "idea guy" who lets all the other people do the real work for him.
>>
>>14719069
Translation issues. He uses the loan word "creator", but that's more equivalent to what we'd call a "developer" in English. Basically anyone who works on making something. Translators just take it too literally and paste shitty translations like "I'M THE CREATOR OF MEGAMAN!" everywhere.
>>
>>14718915
Bloodstained's been delayed, but at least IGA was up front about it rather than springing it on us at the last moment. The other thing is that he mentioned getting more developers, so maybe he noticed the issues with MN9 and is trying to get more experienced people on board, which is a good sign he's been paying attention.
>>
>>14719069

There was a huge decades long myth that Inafune created Mega man. Inafune only made a few side comments here and there that he didn't do it. And even then, he doesn't properly credit Kitamura, merely calling him "his mentor". Never by name. He didn't make the myth, but he sure as hell benefitted from it. So he didn't correct it anywhere near as much as he should have.
>>
>>14719094
What's the word used?

And fucking Inafune can speak English, he fucking knows.
>>
>>14719094
>Translation issues. He uses the loan word "creator", but that's more equivalent to what we'd call a "developer" in English.

except he's not really one of those either
>>
>>14719095

The last update before this, they said that they were in mass asset creation mode. Just creating hundreds of stages, enemy models, etc. That needs a lot of people. They likely just need more grunt work. The game has largely been planned out already.
>>
>>14719096
He himself said that he's the creator of Megaman.

He didn't only benefit from the myth, he fucking spread the myth by his mouth.

That is a crime.
>>
>>14719106
クリエーター Literally the English word "creator" as a loan word in Japanese, but it's used differently than how we'd use it in English.
>>
>>14719124
Oh bullshit, except he knows English and he knows full well he's talking to an English audience.

You are making excuse for him.
>>
File: 1466554559802.jpg (178KB, 825x886px) Image search: [Google]
1466554559802.jpg
178KB, 825x886px
It's sad how much better Azure Striker Gunvolt was than MN9; a project that was finished in a fraction of the time and for a fraction of the cost
>>
File: 230344pege628pinbcwwew.jpg (139KB, 576x815px) Image search: [Google]
230344pege628pinbcwwew.jpg
139KB, 576x815px
>>14719008
You don't even need to be a big company to do a bunch of shit like that, Inti managed to kickstart a franchise on their own while also working on MN9, they managed to create a original game, a sequel, a bunch of music CDs and a fucking ova, all of this without having to ask for money from clueless retards, using money from their own pockets to create a game to celebrate their anniversary.

The irony on that is so great that its nearly a physical thing
>>
>>14719222
Adding to that, the double-pack will be distributed by a company that is known for a successful Kickstarter, whose star gets an appearance.
>>
>>14719222
Kickstarter is a fucking scam.

You don't need hundred thousand of dollars to make a fucking platformer.
>>
>>14719124
In Japanese he's referred to as Rockman's 生みの親.
>>
>>14719222
God fucking damn, I did not notice that watermark on the bottom, anynone have that pic without any of that shit?
>>
>>14719236
The Shovel Knight or the Shantae guys? Either way it will be cool, I liked their Mighty Gunvolt a lot more than the actual mN( game even
>>
File: gunvolt.png (1MB, 575x703px) Image search: [Google]
gunvolt.png
1MB, 575x703px
>>14719248
>>
>>14719263
Thanks m8
>>
File: 1466536059948.png (260KB, 1110x914px) Image search: [Google]
1466536059948.png
260KB, 1110x914px
>>14719257
The former. Granted, both have the same DNA (since Yacht Club is a splinter company). Just hope WayForward won't get much heat for delays.

>>14719239
The only Kickstarter I've ever seen that doesn't rely on it for everything was for some Game Boy-styled shmup thing (the game by itself is self-made funded, supposedly). This ought to happen more.
>>
>>14719288
So why is it a Kickstarter?
>>
>>14719298
Primarily for a Jake Kaufman soundtrack. That's it, the only reason aside from extra content stretch goals (not that it matters, since the goal funding wasn't achieved), though it'll get licensed music as a back-up plan.
>>
>>14719288
It happens. For instance according to the Indivisible KS the crowdfunding is about a tenth or so of the budget and was mainly a way to prove the potential market's existence to the company that was going to give them the rest of the money.

>>14719239
You're underestimating the money needed to make something solid there. Simply hiring people, people with skills in computering/music/graphics/beta testing/whatever else is needed, for the duration of game development, gets expensive real fast, and that's only a fraction of the total cost. They can't all be the Cave Story guy and single handedly make an entire game from start to end in their basement for five years.
>>
>>14719352
>They can't all be the Cave Story guy and single handedly make an entire game from start to end in their basement for five years.
Most kickstarter games take years to make, and they still don't come close to Cave Story.

Making excuses for these guys is retarded, I care about results, not how they fund their shitty ass games.
>>
>>14719352
>the crowdfunding is about a tenth or so of the budget and was mainly a way to prove the potential market's existence to the company that was going to give them the rest of the money.
So would they give back the crowdfund money after the execs start funding them?
>>
>>14719399

No that money was spent on hookers and blow
>>
>>14719239

You need hundreds of thousands of dollars to have a staff of 6+ people work for a year.
>>
>>14720082

Not if they're mexican
>>
>>14720082
You need one fucking dude to make a video game.
>>
>>14720134
Yeah, but it won't necessarily be a very good videogame. In terms of music alone, one guy could do, say, chiptunes or maybe even recordings on his own, but if you want an orchestral score, you need an orchestra of a bunch of people. So that's at least one instance where aiming high necessitates a group of people.
>>
>>14720260
There's no guarantee that a group of people will make a very good or good video game.

Fucking ZUN was making music by himself and it was better than the highly-paid orchestra.

You can't replace talent with money.
>>
>>14720269
Zun could at least replace his character portraits with money

Because damn son
>>
>>14718713
>franchise
Haha
>>
>>14720300
He could and he did with the fighting games.

Fan still prefers his art because it's more genuine.
>>
>>14720269
Oh yeah, I agree 100%. Talent isn't the same thing as money, and those who think it is often find themselves easy to scam. I'm just saying that some things will require a team effort; if you want your game to have an orchestral score you need more than one person because an orchestra by definition is a bunch of people, to take one example.
>>
>>14720317
Which is why in Japan, there are doujin orchestral remixes that don't cost hundred thousand dollars to make.

No, that does not work.

With modern technology, you can even make orchestra with a computer.
>>
>>14720134
I mean, you can go ahead and correct me, but this post and the others that I assume are you just makes you come off like you think group work or wanting qualities in your game that happen to cost money are all just scams because every game developer should be some demigod of talent that can do everything on his own.
>>
>>14720333
Oh, that's interesting, I didn't know such programs existed, though there'll always be the appeal of a 'real' orchestra for some people (I doubt the emulation is perfect yet).

But even admitting that, you also have to take time into account. If you're one guy making a game, you have to do everything yourself-graphics, coding, music composition, etc. etc. etc. If you're a busy guy who's got a lot of stuff going on, that sort of time committment may not be practical for you (IGA has to take care of a family too, for instance). At that point, it may be practical to spend money on other team members to spread the work around. Or, to put it another way, in many cases it may be worth it to trade money for time and hire a team instead of putting everything on one person and working yourself to the bone.
>>
>>14720499
They are not scams if they are good games.

The commercial games don't require crowdfunding, they have nothing to do with the customer's money.

But the crowdfunded games that cost hundred of thousand dollars to make, but still are shit, now those are scams, because it promises something and fail at it.
>>
>>14720516
ZUN was making game with his fucking computer in few years interval.

His output really isn't any different than any AAA devs and is actually faster than KS devs.

>If you're a busy guy who's got a lot of stuff going on, that sort of time committment may not be practical for you
ZUN makes games as hobbies, the KS guys's games are a job.
>>
>>14718853
>asking for money
This is the fundamental problem. A person who already has a name in the industry shouldnt be asking the consumers for money, he should be able to procure it in a more proffesional way.
>>
>>14720543

Not to mention without personal risk involved you end up getting halfhearted garbage like the AVGN movie.
>>
File: 1470421659567.jpg (17KB, 249x242px)
1470421659567.jpg
17KB, 249x242px
>>14718864
>Wasn't a con job.
>>
>>14720542
>His output really isn't any different than any AAA devs and is actually faster than KS devs.

Well, yeah, I mean I like ZUN's games just fine, but you can't really compare them to AAA games. The first Touhou shoot-em-ups were nice pixel 2d games, but you can't seriously argue they look as aesthetically impressive as Bloodborne, and there's no way a game like Bloodborne could have been made in less than 10 years without a team; one guy wouldn't have been able to handle making the 3d models, and then textures, and then the music and voice acting, and the AI, and so on, and so forth.

I agree with your point about KS, though, it does seem as if Kickstarter projects tend to be worse managed, on average, than others. Mighty No. 9 was easily the worst recent example I can think of, but even successes like Shovel Knight have been hit by several delays.
>>
>>14720571
Dude, KS games look even worse than some ZUN games.

Nobody is comparing ZUN's graphics with the AAA shit, but the AAA shit doesn't ask for your money to fund it either, so it's a moot point.
>>
>>14720134
>there are actual people this fucking retarded
>>
>>14718975
Eh, fuck it.
If Konami wanted this sort of support, they would have put the work in, but instead they threw it in the closet, and now someone's made a knock off that they can't do anything about.
>>
>>14718975
"Creatively bankrupt" is a dumb meme propagated by people who only care about novelty appeal (which they often call "innovation") so don't take it too seriously.
>>
>>14720580
Yeah, that's true, though in fairness there are some nice looking KS games. The Bloodstained demo, early as it was, looked pretty cool, with little details like the way Miriam stood reminding folks of SoTN. In fact, ironically enough, MN9 made a proof of concept demo that actually looked decent in motion and more similar to its concept art. They must have really messed up somewhere for the final game to end up looking so bad.
>>
>>14720269

This is true, but at the same time you have much better odds of a group of people making a good game than one person.

Yes there are incredibly talented workaholics that are willing to lock themselves in their home for several years and make a game all by themselves, but that combination of talent and willingness to work themselves like that is rare.

It's like how Rooster Teeth had to hire like 20 animators to replace Monty Oum, because they couldn't find anyone else that was as talented an animator as him and also insane enough to do stuff like stay up 3 days straight animating nonstop.
>>
>>14720134
It's best to have at least more than one involved. Say, for instance that you can't do programming or music, but can do graphics, artwork and sprites/tilesets/level designs.

>>14720914
Like anything else, the 10% of KS games that look good look really good, and those are usually the ones with pixel art that isn't minimalistic.

On an unrelated note, it baffles me that it's taken until recently for Konjak's Noitu Love 2 to actually get ported at all, and he's a guy who was part of the indie game scene's genesis.
>>
>>14720269
Zun is a hack who hasn't had to rewrite his code base in years so suck off /agdg/.
>>
File: 1468326998041b.jpg (117KB, 579x587px)
1468326998041b.jpg
117KB, 579x587px
>>14718713
Swept under the rug like Kenji's existence.
>>
>>14718713
Recore
>>
>>14719062
It's not as popular because it requires actual work
>>
>>14721813
yeah a megaman clone means eight mostly linear levels
free roaming castlevanias are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more work
>>
>>14719062
>>14721813
Although fan-made sequels/remakes do exist regardless (the upcoming Lecarde Chronicles 2, in particular, has veteran CV talent involved).
>>
>>14721819
No joke, free roaming nonlinear sidescrollers are not easy to do if you have zero experience and no one holding your hand along the way.

And platformer games are already harder to make than you'd think! Real easy to fuck up the physics, if not grossly overthink them. Slopes? One way floors? Determining what stuff is active or not or if it's in memory or not?

You will learn just how much you take for granted with the genre.
>>
>>14719239
Pay for your rent, bills, equipment, programs, VAs, devs, advertisement firms, bill-paying-guy, etc. If you think art isn't a business/expression combo: You're dead wrong.

Other than that: I hope the next one can pull an FF14/MM2 for the franchise, because Capcom needs a smacking along with Konami. And, by god, Inafune needed one too, badly. Daddy Capcom helped pump his ego up hard, IMO.
>>
>>14722744
>Capcom needs a smacking

But they unfucked Resident Evil and made it fun again with Revelaitons.
>>
>>14722324
Given that, the makers of Mega Man X: Corrupted have balls of steel for even attempting this kind of approach for a non-ZX Mega Man fan game.

>>14722744
Just hope to god that they won't pull a Sonic Boom by making a game based on Man of Action's cartoon, as the Rockman Corner folks theorized.
>>
>>14722748
And then somehow proceeded to shit themselves in the very next Revelation even though it wasn't limited by handheld capabilities anymore and then there is that Umbrella Corps abomination, now we wait and see how RE7 will play out
>>
>>14722755
Seriously though, I joined a game dev club at my uni just so I could get a shred of a clue where to start (pro tip: don't let one person write all the code unless that person is you and you plan on going solo at all times), and all I got out of it was a rather meaningful lesson on platform game design:

Don't use a physics system to handle the platform collision detection, you end up with curved platforms that are impossible to actually get onto.

Oh and I guess I also gained an appreciation for how music looping works in the nitty gritty of things. If I could go back to that semester I'd have written up an entire subsystem to the "engine" monstrosity we were working with that was purely dedicated to doing things expeditiously with music and sfx.

Additional pro tip: if you ever think of writing a game engine, start with what your target features will be. It'll help a lot with structuring your work load as opposed to just thinking of shit on the fly and adding it in in a stream of conscious.

That, or just use preexisting engines and game maker kits out there, scratch work is only really good for when you're dissatisfied with off the shelf options and you want to target specific features that lack support in say Unreal Engine.
>>
You haven't forgotten have you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YngbHOz--oc
>>
>>14722842
>Rev2
>not fucking amazing

Only mistake was being an episodic game when the episodic format was proven to be a disaster years ago.

Oh and I guess half assing the co-op so that it's only able to do couch co-op, but the asymmetric design was top notch and made the buddy character more than just an irrelevant prop like in Rev1.

In terms of pure mechanics it was fucking phenomenal and had no business being as good as it was. I only hope Resi7 maintains the same respect towards having actual mechanics of play in its survival experience and not just fall prey to the hiding horror movement.
>>
This is really neither here nor there, but his name is Keiji Inafune, not Kenji Inafune. Please don't insult Kenji. He probably hasn't even done anything wrong.
>>
>>14722755
If Capcom wants to cash in on a tie-in game for money they will. Even if it's a cheap flash game on the broadcast channel's part. There is an even chance if it's a mild hit on TV.

>>14722748
MML3 and how they treated a certain face of SF dev makes Capcom look like a "black-company" entirely warrants it. The whole AAA game scene and the industry in general is becoming a bit too skeevey or something.
>>
>>14722856
Valuable advice there, I'll keep that in note.

>>14725136
Somehow Nintendo still comes off as better, since they honored a Zelda fan whose brother died to epilepsy. Also, while Sega is still trying to keep Sonic relevant, at least they directly collaborate with the fans. They're certainly not perfect, but they try sometimes.

But really, the indie scene is a lot more tight-knit and nicer, even if chances of their games succeeding are ambiguous after the MN9 incident.
>>
>>14720307
>Fan still prefers his art because it's more genuine.
Genuine garbage, maybe.

They only prefer him to do his own art so they can keep making fun of it and/or have a much lower bar when they start churning out the fanart. ("well at least it's better that THAT guy's!")
>>
>>14722755
How's Corrupted coming along? Haven't looked them up in a while.
>>
>>14725173
JKB Games seem to still putter along.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3c7Y8itcPs
>>
>>14719239
Go make one and get back to us on how much spent.
>>
>>14720134
Yeesh, rest in peace if you can only program and write, but can't do art. Not everyone is an ubermensch.
>>
>>14719376
You're looking for good games, why care about the process if it's different for everyone? Oh right, bait. Just sounds entitled
>>
>>14729231
>You're looking for good games, why discuss Inafuck and Mighty Nope
>>
>>14729257
That, too.
>>
This thread was moved to >>>/v/351710648
Thread posts: 106
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.