[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Macross vs Robotech

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 18

I want to get into this series but don't know which to pick. I would try both but the number of spin-offs are too many for a person with limited free time. I also wanted to know if some of the spin-off can be watched having only seen one version of the show.
>>
>>14711925
You can't really watch anything later if you do robotech. Robotech also jams multiple series together instead of just sticking with Macross, which is the part you actually want.
>>
File: colored dickculture.jpg (331KB, 974x1539px) Image search: [Google]
colored dickculture.jpg
331KB, 974x1539px
Just watch Macross, dude.

Robotech is a joke of a property whose only accomplishment is keeping Macross out of the west for nigh on 30 years.

AND WE
>>
>>14711925

Here goes :

Robotech : read the 1980s-early 1990s mckinney novels. No less no more. Forget about the animated Robotech it's is steaming pile of nonsense.

Macross : Watch Frontier + movies. If the series manages to warm your heart to japanese idols and music go for Macross 7. Stick with it to the end. It gets really epic by the final episodes. If by the end of 7 you're still rocking and singing go back to the original SDF. It isn't as great as 7 and Frontier but it is the original. Watch it only for cultural value if nothing else. If the shock is too rude drop it and watch the movie version instead "Macross Do you remember love ?". The movie version is a condensed alternate retelling of the tv series. It's not perfect but animation wise it's fuking great. One of the best high budget high quality animated feature length movies of the entire 1980s and 90s. It can hold its own even today compared to some of Ghibli's high budget modern movies.

There are a couple of ovas, but nothing really fundamental so you can leave them for the future.
Be warned about the latest installment of the franchise : Macross Delta. It should not be your first entry into the franchise, it has too many fucking problems, animated wise, character wise, story wise to be really engaging and the probability you'll hate the entire franchise too high. Start with the good entries and leave Delta as the last of the last.
>>
>>14711960
>watch it backwards and upside down
wat
>>
>>14711944
ARE
>>
>>14711960
>Don't watch Macross Delta Series
>B-but watch Frontier TV
This is fukin retarded. You should end yourslef.
>>
File: 1465814560166.png (1MB, 1280x719px) Image search: [Google]
1465814560166.png
1MB, 1280x719px
Watch Robotech the Original Saga™ if you're a pretty cool guy who doesn’t afraid of anything
Watch Macross if you're a gay nerd who watches gay moe idolshit.
It's that simple.
>>
>>14711966
>>watch it backwards and upside downwat

You never ever want to tell someone who's new to a franchise to watch it in production order. It is the stupidest thing to do, and the quickest way to make a potential fan of the franchise be disgusted and leave Macross forever. Especially if the fan is young (so born I'd say in the 1990s or even early 2000s) and he/she has to watch a 1983 series with all the low quality it entails as first entry into a franchise that spans almost 4 decades. You entice someone with honey not salt. Hasn't your grandpa or grandma ever told you so ?
>>
File: Vary-Scared.png (43KB, 218x172px) Image search: [Google]
Vary-Scared.png
43KB, 218x172px
>>14711960
>Starting Macross at Frontier
>Not starting Macross at the original

Just stick to Macross. Go in production order. Macross II became retroactively non-canon so skipping it won't really hurt and it doesn't really matter if you go with the OVA or movie version of Plus, since the movie only has something like 15 minutes of new footage and most of it was in the final battle. I haven't seen the Frontier movies, so somebody else will have to tell you about their big differences.
>>
>>14711982
>You never ever want to tell someone who's new to a franchise to watch it in production order.
yeah otherwise the shock could be too rude and the soup would decrease
>>
This is all great info guys, I think I'll stick to Macross. I'm 29 and have seen lots of old anime so the crappy animation of the original wont really bother me.
>>
>>14711982
Well, sperg, some people aren't triggered by older animation as you seem to be so telling them to start with the first is a good idea.
>>
>>14712000
Movie 1 = Recap + new content at the end
Movie 2 completely new content
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT6UlfoeK3Q
>>
>>14711982
Maybe if you're a fucking pleb but on /m/ we actually expect people to handle older animation because that period contains basically every culturally significant mecha as well as some of the best series to date. Production order is fine.
>>
>>14711960
>Be warned about the latest installment of the franchise : Macross Delta. It should not be your first entry into the franchise

Get fucked.
Delta -> Frontier -> Pure -> SDF -> 7 -> D7 -> Frontier Movies
...and loving it.

As long as they don't start with 7 or Robotech, there are no really wrong choices to be made.
>>
File: 1468464509655.jpg (261KB, 900x785px) Image search: [Google]
1468464509655.jpg
261KB, 900x785px
>>14711960
Delta was my first Macross, I came into it at episode 10, and proceeded to catch up on the rest of the series while waiting for new episodes. Episodes 1/2 were enough to get me hooked on the entire franchise.

It's all a matter of taste, dude. Speaking of taste, Frontier is one of the weaker installments, with the movies being mostly good. Also Plus is my favorite

>>14712000
I went into the movies expecting mostly recut footage with some new stuff, but I was surprised to find that the first movie was basically 50/50 in terms of recut old/new animation, and the second being almost entirely new. The movies are much better than the TV series, and change the story pretty significantly.

>>14711971
ALL

>>14712007
If that's the case, I'd recommend just going production order. Be sure to watch SDF before DYRL though.
>>
>>14712012
>Maybe if you're a fucking pleb but on /m/ we actually expect people to handle older animation because that period contains basically every culturally significant mecha as well as some of the best series to date. Production order is fine.

We on /m/ ? Who the fuck is we ? Do you speak for all of us you dipshit ? This is one of those instances where bullshit groupthink comes into play. /m/ never disappoints.
The intelligent thing to do is too recommend to a potential fan to start from the best entries and then work from there. SDF no matter how much in love you're with it, or see it through rose tinted glasses is not the best entry in the Macross franchise. Not the best by a long shot.
>>
>>14711960
>high budget high quality animated feature length movies
>If the shock is too rude
>you'll hate the entire franchise too high.
holy shit this ESL babble is hilarious post more you are golden like hot cakes
>>
>>14711982
>>14712036

Not him
I support production order.
>>
>>14711982
I watched the original macross for the first time about a year ago as my first taste of macross and did just fine.
>>
>>14712036
>frontier is best because I saw its best!
>my opinion is be all end all despite the majority of anons in the thread saying I'm full of shit!
>>
>>14712066
you must have to many rose corlorings on your lenses because otherwise your shocks will be bad
>>
>>14712007

op here I'm gonna start with the original and work my way up. I got into Gundam the same way and still consider the original groundbreaking. I hope I get the same kind of enjoyment from this series again thanks for all the input.
>>
File: image.jpg (113KB, 650x365px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
113KB, 650x365px
Robotech X everyone...
>>
File: That's dandee.jpg (75KB, 530x298px) Image search: [Google]
That's dandee.jpg
75KB, 530x298px
>>14712036
>Best in the series
>Frontier
>>
File: all laughing.jpg (225KB, 2048x1228px) Image search: [Google]
all laughing.jpg
225KB, 2048x1228px
>>14712070
ALL LAUGHING
>>
>>14712077
how were their faces at the end?
>>
>>14712083
they were not laughing when the end came
>>
File: allahuakbar.jpg (87KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
allahuakbar.jpg
87KB, 640x360px
>>14712083
Going by the tweets and such, they were "satisfied" pretty well.
I'd really question just who the fuck buys their shit nowadays if I hadn't been aware of the Battletech unseen obsession.
>>
File: all laughing.jpg (107KB, 1920x800px) Image search: [Google]
all laughing.jpg
107KB, 1920x800px
>>14712070
>>
>>14712098
Mostly uneducated South Americans. Interestingly enough, one South American man from that covention asked if they could take his copies of the Perfect Macross art books, translate them, and mass produce them.

Gonna change the subject here but I wonder how HG would handle localizations of the newer Macross shows. Renaming the characters is definitely something they would do and it'd be pretty funny to see what generic American names they could come up with.
>>
>>14712126

"Robotech the shadow masters chronicles starring: Fist RockBone, Gristle McThornBody, Hack BlowFist, Reef BlastBody, Dirk HardPec and Lucy as the idol."
>>
>>14712149
Found this on an old thread:

>Mankind has defeated the ROBOTECH MASTERS and gained true superiority over PROTOCULTURE (tm). Now, they are boldly going where no man has gone before - forming the Colony Fleets and heading out to find new homeworlds.

>However, they didn't count on a new enemy appearing, one whose power is greater even than ROBOTECHNOLOGY! The vicious insect-like Vajira suddenly attack the Colony Fleet Frontier, throwing Al Stevens into a war fought by the Special Mercenary Services and their advanced Veritechs.

>With the assistance of friendly Zentradi forces, the SMS have to find a way to defeat the Vajira while protecting the Frontier Fleet, but things get more than a little complicated then the Galaxy's Angel, Sherry N, comes visiting.

>A fiery affair ensues, but Al's childhood friend Sally Lee complicates matters still further as her own singing career risks overtaking Sherry's.

>And as if THAT wasn't enough, might danger be lurking closer still to home? What is the hidden agenda of Frontier's president? And will Al ever be reconciled with his estranged father, a celebrated ballet dancer and actor?

>In this exciting sequel to ROBOTECH: THE MACROSS SAGA, get ready for spine-tingling action, plenty of laughs and more than a bit of great music!
>>
File: lolotech.jpg (255KB, 1000x1549px) Image search: [Google]
lolotech.jpg
255KB, 1000x1549px
>>14712077
>The guy in the front row covering his face in shame.
>>
File: 1344640018105.jpg (1016KB, 1000x1122px) Image search: [Google]
1344640018105.jpg
1016KB, 1000x1122px
>>14712176
>>Not Andy Solomon
>>No Ku Klux Klan

I am not ALL LAUGHING.
>>
I am an uneducated south american and who the fuck it's Ku Klux Klan.

That can't be right.

Also, should I watch Orguss?
>>
File: 1447906983233.jpg (132KB, 616x944px) Image search: [Google]
1447906983233.jpg
132KB, 616x944px
>>14712646
>Garry Cackles
lel
>>
>>14711982
i was born in '96 and i just finished my first watch of SDF and do you remember love today. the only thing wrong with the original series was continuing past where hikaru saves hayase from the grand cannon. your opinions are stale and your memes are shit, mongrel
>>
>>14712715
I like Goobly Bowtie the best.
>>
>>14711940
>You can't really watch anything later if you do robotech.
Bullshit.
All you need to know is that the information that only comes from the narrator and isn't mentioned by the characters is robotech-only. Nearly every line of Macross dialogue is unmodified.
>but protoculture is plants
No character in the show knows this so it doesn't affect anything whatsoever.
>but bridge bunnies die offscreen
and are never seen in Macross sequels anyway so who fucking cares?

The only legit changes to the dialogue were the replacement of comments about alcohol or suicide because it was marketed as a kids show.
>>
>>14711976
But what about those either are a pretty cool guy who watches gay moe idolshit or the a gay nerd who isn't afraid of anything?

Things are not that simple sometime, anon.
>>
Macross:
- Superior BGM
- Superior songs
- Uncensored version

Robotech:
- Really stupid narrator

Choose one.
>>
>>14712726
Is this a shop?

Why would anyone tolerate this?
>>
>>14714872
this is very real
>>
>>14714876
So why would anyone watch that over the Manga Entertainment release at the very least?
>>
>>14714894
no choice
now if you have it Harmony Gold changed it to this and you're stuck
>>
>>14711925
I would get into Macross by first watching which version is the easiest to find (macross/robotech: the Macross saga), and then looking up the important alterations to plot points (character names, important events, terminology diferences, et cetera). It's not really hard to do since most of what you need to know for the other series to enjoy them is just getting down the basic plot. They literally pulled most of their mythos from Macross, and rewrote the stories of Southern Cross and Mospeada to fit into Macross because of broadcasting standards back in the day. It's really just a lot of easy to do corrections, but some fans make it seem like they changed so much that it's unidentifiablely 100% different. Also, the cannon the valkyrie fighter designs were retconed in the movie Do You Remember Love, and the movie is a movie in universe.

BTW, despite this: I've just triggered several of the type mentioned earlier. Just watch whatever is available and shift to Macross before the Bionoid chapter in Robotech.
>>
File: 1469402550816.gif (1MB, 500x373px) Image search: [Google]
1469402550816.gif
1MB, 500x373px
>>14714899
> be me
> watch my dvds

Holy fuck, they did change it
>>
>>14714917
you could have stopped it if you got out of bed that night you heard all laughing downstairs
it wasn't santa's elves
>>
>>14714914
But, as mentioned. If you're old adverse: watch the newest one or the series or two before. Macross has heavy music elements, and it always plays a part in stories.

Music is one of the most universal concepts amoungst humans and maybe beyond. Macross will delve into the beyond. If the AKB48 anime is too much for you: run.
>>
>>14714924
>Macross has heavy music elements

Hey man, it's a pretty darn big part of why Macross is fun.
Any nicompoop can make transforming robots or a romance story in mecha.
But pulling off a Disney with the music heavy while still definitely not a musical series, that's what sets th whole thing apart as anime by large skimps out on music outside of some horrible OP/ED.
>>
>>14714986
Yeah, I completely agree. It's like Gundam with its bad-or-maybe-good romances. But, some people are allergic to cooties, and hate those elements. Those people worship Plus while ignoring the vocaloid, and have a skewed memory of Macross as totally grim&gritty. That is why I mentioned the AKB48 anime.

"NO FUN", pfft...
>>
>>14715038
>tfw Plus is my favorite
>tfw 7 is my second favorite
>>
>>14715055
I'd r8 them

> plus
> SDF
> II. Yeah, I said it. II.
> 7 / Frontier are interchangable for me
> Delta so far
> Zero

Delta could shift around depending on the last few episodes and a movie or two I guess.
>>
>>14715071
I forgot to mention that they're all good though.
>>
File: [info highs externally].jpg (149KB, 680x600px) Image search: [Google]
[info highs externally].jpg
149KB, 680x600px
>>14715071
>>14715076
>Plus
>Second half of 7 (I've actually forgotten almost everything from before Sivil showed up)
>DYRL/SDF
>Frontier Movies
>Delta note: music goes Delta/7>INFO HIGH>Frontier>all else
>Frontier
>Zero
Haven't watched II Yeah all of them are good, I don't understand it when people start shitting on one Macross or another, they all set out to do different things.
>>
>>14715150
>Yeah all of them are good, I don't understand it when people start shitting on one Macross or another, they all set out to do different things.

People shit on one Macross or another because some entries are genuinely shit.
Being part of the same franchise doesn't automatically eliminate the deficienes and stupid ideas writers come up in each and single entry. There are good entries in the Macross franchise and there are shit entries in the same franchise.
What's depressing is the fact that Macross fans generally speaking are more infantile than Gundam fans. The later fans at least have the intellectual honesty to understand that not all Gundam series are on the same qualitative level. Macross fans act like petulant childs, when someone points that such and such things are plain dumb within the context of Macross they all cry out like their favorite toy had been broken. Fuck them all.
>>
>>14712758
>All you need to know is that the information that only comes from the narrator and isn't mentioned by the characters is robotech-only. Nearly every line of Macross dialogue is unmodified.
>The only legit changes to the dialogue were the replacement of comments about alcohol or suicide because it was marketed as a kids show.
You seem to forget that it was established by Exedore and the rest of the cast that the Zentraedi were completely created from protoculture and that they nor humans weren't ever created by the Protoculture race at all since its quite clear they aren't meant to exist in Robotech. They are completely replaced by the Robotech Masters who not only had nothing to do with us, but never actually created or "mastered" anything; they're just a bunch of old dickheads who raped their galaxy with a bunch of stolen tech and magic space fuel, and cloned themselves stupid (no, seriously, these guys are some of the dumbest aliens in Sci-fi). Not only that, the editing team even went out of their way to call the sizing chambers "protoculture chambers" which, again, are identified by ordinary characters as such to further show that Zentraedi are magical clay monsters. Even the Zentraedi, especially Khyron still refer to protoculture as a fuel source. They spent the whole "Messenger" episode to make sure this was clarified. Narrator has very little to do with changing people's minds.

Furthermore, they even mesh Southern Cross footage with Macross' in the episode "Robotech Masters" to show what the Masters are and what they're doing before referring back to more Macross. This completely cements that everything in the Masters Saga happened/is about to happen.

Really, the narrator is just an annoying condescending chatter box who not only has to fill in tidbits of unseen script rewrites, he's also needlessly explaining everything in every scene, sometimes even getting facts wrong. You can't tune him out because he makes up 50% of every episode.
>>
>>14715457
None of which is really that important to the rest of Macross. 7. Now that series has important stuff, like song weapon development, and how music effects the whole universe's creatures. The rest is tech trees for Valks.
>>
>>14715625
Besides a basic plot summary or understanding, of course.
>>
>>14715150
music goes Delta/7>INFO HIGH>Frontier>all else
wew lad
>>
File: 230px-Mylene_Flare_Jenius.jpg (69KB, 613x244px) Image search: [Google]
230px-Mylene_Flare_Jenius.jpg
69KB, 613x244px
>>14715625
>None of which is really that important to the rest of Macross. 7. Now that series has important stuff,

One being the fact that in Masters Saga the offspring to Max and Miyria is Dana Sterling, but in Macross she supposed to be Mylene Flare, who are nothing alike.

But keep on trying to convince everyone that the Macross Saga of Robotech is totally in sync with Macross.
>>
>>14715457
>weren't ever created by the Protoculture race at all since its quite clear they aren't meant to exist in Robotech
Yes they do, they're just called "The Masters"
Try harder.
>>
>>14715727
Nope. Just watch the first third (Macross stuff), and note that you could make a list of ten or so things that you actually really need to know, and a name change list of actually important characters. This series is so easy to digest for a world that has run so long.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.