[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

To be a true mechafag, is it customary to watch EVA?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7

File: Evangelion_Unit-01.jpg (1MB, 3678x5076px) Image search: [Google]
Evangelion_Unit-01.jpg
1MB, 3678x5076px
To be a true mechafag, is it customary to watch EVA?
>>
If this isn't just shitposting, the correct reply is you should watch at least a little bit to form your own opinion of it, but as far as mecha goes, the show doesn't really offer a lot of mecha content towards the end. It's mostly character drama after episode 14.
>>
File: 1400931302758.gif (1MB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
1400931302758.gif
1MB, 250x188px
>>14711848
Oh it's not intended to be shitposting, but thanks I guess.
>>
It's one of those shows that I think everyone should see once. Just because of how much of an impact it made.
>>
>>14711855
but i don't watch shows made after 1995
>>
>>14711868
Then your missing out
>>
It's great and I even like most characters except Asuka and Kaworu.

But no, there's no such thing as a required watch, just watch whatever you like.
>>
Just watch it so that you can either say you love it and its a master peice or that it's overrated tryhard psudeo deep shit.

Either way just watch it for yourself so you can decide which camp you are in.
>>
It's an experience though not necessarily a good one
>>
It is a rip-off of Zeorymer
>>
Honestly as far as mecha is concerned, I think the original Macross is more important.
The original gundam definitely is as well, it's insane how many Black-Tristar throwbacks still happen today, let alone references about everything else in the series.
>>
>>14711868
That's an strange line.

Why 1995?

Besides that you should watch it, because it's good, I don't feel the need to recommend it or praise it, it's a good series with a good movie,

You like anime?,you like mecha?, it has both.
>>
It's my favorite Ultraman fan fiction.
>>
>>14712707
any anime made after 1995 is otaku garbage, thanks to evangelion

no thx
>>
I got my friends to watch it after showing them some gifs and videos. Then made them watch EOE together just to see their reaction at the Shinji beating it scene.
>>
>>14711843
>To be a true mechafag, is it customary to watch EVA?

If you consider yourself a "mechafag" then yes it is. It's like presuming that people have seen Star Wars or Rocky if they consider themselves movie buffs. although you may not personally like it, there's no denying that it's solidified itself as part of the greater popular culture.

Personally, I think there are some things that Evangelion does well, but it is WAY overrated and the fandom hyperbolize the show too much in their praises.
>>
>>14712833
i'll stick to my 70s and 80s mecha no thanks

i tried watching eva once, i didn't make it far. it was boring as fuck and there were no crazy pilots or hard boiled politics.

i'm not interested in the japanese condition either. they deserve everything bad they get after world war 2
>>
>>14712968
>there were no crazy pilots

What? There are no sane Eva pilots.
>>
As a huge Eva fan myself, I'd say yes, only so you can judge for yourself. Love it or hate it, it's part of the greater Japanese pop culture lexicon (not just within the anime community) and deserves at least a chance.

The show is definitely not without faults, I admit.
>>
>>14713634
call me again when your pilots are made up of rapists and murderers.
>>
File: 1461992772351.jpg (18KB, 284x339px) Image search: [Google]
1461992772351.jpg
18KB, 284x339px
>>14711843
>should a true mechafag watch the most popular and influential 26 episodes in mecha and possibly all anime?

/m/ what have you become
>>
>>14713962
Rapists and murderers get sent to jail all the time and the insanity plea does nothing for them. Try again.
>>
>>14713962
Shinji literally kills the best friend he ever had in episode 24 and EoE the hospital scene while Asuka was unconscious is enough to convict Shinji with sexual assault.
>>
I don't know what I dislike more, the pretend oldfags or the newfags.
>>14713962
Shinji murders angels and people and faps to coma bitches.

Sound insane enough?
>>
>>14714307
>>14714309
Nope.

He's not Hayato Jin and Dr Saotome
>>
>>14714311
Well he's fucking Shinji and his dad is Gendo, the man who stops Instrumentality and the man who plans Instrumentality, respectively.
>>
>>14713962
Getter?
>>
>>14714300
>influential 26 episodes in mecha
What have you become? Because that isn't remotely true.

>>14714311
People like you are the reason that the Getter is cancer meme started
>>
File: SK97uq0.jpg (22KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
SK97uq0.jpg
22KB, 640x480px
>>14714451
>Getter is cancer meme
What is this about?

I recently saw like 10 episodes of Getter Robo Armageddon and didn't think that highly of it.

But what's this about it being cancer now?
>>
Here is my list of purely subjective "If you haven't watched these, but call yourself a mecha fan, I will look at you strangely" shows (Note I only said shows, let's not get too complex by adding manga in the mix):

>NGE
>SDF Macross
>Macross Plus
>Big O
>Gundam Compilation films (Original and Zeta)
>Gunbuster
>At least one of the Mazinger shows
>Patlabor TV

These are what I consider essential. I'm not saying you have to like them, but if you haven't seen these and consider yourself a true mecha fan, I'll look at you strangely.

That said, if you ONLY seen these and consider yourself a true mecha fan, I'll still look at you strangely.
>>
>>14714492
>Gundam Compilation films (Original and Zeta)
I'd look at you funny if you said you watched the Zeta movies without the series. What kind of retard does this?
>>
>>14714492
So by your viewpoint I'd have to watch all of these to be a true mecha fan, completely all the way through?
>>
>>14714502

>Sitting through all of Zeta

Hell, I'd say you can actually get a good idea of the series by watching a >10minute video:

Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_kFgOWyez0
>>
>>14714507

You'd have to be able to hold a conversation with someone who references things in any of the episodes, yes.
>>
>>14714492
>Big O
>Macross Plus
>These are what I consider essential.

I really like Big O but it is not "essential" , same goes for Macross Plus.
This is a list you made out of your ass with your favorite shows.
>>
>>14714519

>Big O
>Not essential

Ye guilty

You'll also take care to notice the sixth and seventh words of that post.
>>
>>14714482
Shitposting happened
>>
>>14714522
It is not.
>>
>>14714528

I'd argue it's pretty essential for any western mecha fan considering it's place in the history of East/West mecha production and funding.

But okay, your loss.
>>
>>14714531
>considering it's place in the history of East/West mecha production and funding
The fuck are you talking about? It's inconsequential in that regard outside of the fact the second season got funded by the west, but considering how AWFUL the second season is that shouldn't be something to remember. There are far more significant series that played a part in bringing views and encouraging bringing more shows to the west.
>>
File: mfw rage.jpg (119KB, 1090x928px) Image search: [Google]
mfw rage.jpg
119KB, 1090x928px
>>14714519
>Big O
>not essential
mfw
>>
EVAs aren't robota at all, just giant monsters with a life support implant.
>>
>>14711843
so much faggotry in this thread.

the answer is yes, regardless of whether you like it or not.
>>
>>14711843
>To be a true mechafag, is it customary to watch EVA?

Absolutely not. If you want to be a true mechafag,

You watch

all 193 episodes of the original Tetsuwan Atom
All 97 episodes of the original Tetsujin 28
all 222 episodes of Mazinger Z + Great Mazinger + Grendizer.
All 140 episodes of MSG, Zeta and ZZ

You can stop at Victory Gundam, because every mecha anime post 1995 is garbage.
>>
>people say Eva is deep and nuanced ye the angels have no character traits beyond "RRAAAAA I AM A MONSTER"
>>
>>14714492
>Gundam Compilation films
What if you watched the shows but not the films?
>>
>>14711843
EVA isn't even a mecha show
>>
>>14715618
This.
Anno discussion is only allowed here because Godzilla is /m/.
>>
>>14715343
nobody has ever said the angels have deep and nuanced personalities. the shows depth does not hinge on them having personalities either so your criticism is meaningless.
>>
File: image.jpg (161KB, 773x468px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
161KB, 773x468px
>>
>>14712699
SDF made a huge impact, even if most anime viewers don't even realize it.
>>
>>14716525

Isn't SDF Macross responsible for the "OMG TRANSFORMING ROBOTS!!" fad in the 80s?
>>
>>14716544
That and it had a big hand in helping the idol craze. The Itano Circus, although not actually first seen in SDF, was popularized by Macross.
>>
Always remember:

Start with the EOE tang scene, then when that scene ends watch the series, then start EOE from the beginning.

This is the correct way to enjoy pre-Rebuild Evangelion.
>>
>>14712699
>Black-Tristar throwbacks still happen today
In non-Gundam shows?
>>
>>14711843
Many people say that Eva was influential. I would dispute that on several grounds, but there are a few anime that seem to borrow specifically from Eva, particularly Rahxephon and Fafner, and stretching it a bit, Eureka Seven. I've also heard Bokurano and G Dangaioh borrow from Eva. Of course, these comparisons are mostly superficial, but then, Eva is a mostly superficial anime. It's only fair to draw these comparisons because they are based on the very few things that were unique to Eva specifically.

>>14716544
Transforming robots were a thing long before the 80s. Try watching a non-Mazinger 70s show, anon. Almost all of them feature some sort of parts reconfiguration whether it be combining or transforming, at least among what has been subbed.
>>
>>14716811
Its influential in the sense that it got a lot of people to do things related to the anime industry. There so many people that used eva as their gateway into to anime manga and propelled them in to going further. Its why theres a lot of industry people who cite eva as a very important show to them.
>>
>>14711843
If you like anime in general, you should watch it. It's a fairly well done series, though it's nowhere near the masterpiece some people say it is.

Misato is best girl.

>>14716811
Evangelion's generally considered to be where a lot of modern anime trends got popular, and also brought in a boom of people going into the industry. I think it's considered the first midnight anime because of widely successful ratings in repeats, too. Not sure on that one. Pretty sure it's one of the big reasons Akihabara is what it is today, as well.

It's a pretty damn influential show.
>>
>>14716896
>where a lot of modern anime trends
Such as?
>>
>>14716873
>>14716896
only americans hammer eva on the internet

the rest of the world doesn't give a damn

if eva is a must watch show, then you should technically be watching naruto, which is way more popular worldwide
>>
>>14714531
Gundam wing is totally essential if that's the case.
>>
>>14711843
hell no
>>
File: 1473208496265.png (858KB, 931x720px) Image search: [Google]
1473208496265.png
858KB, 931x720px
Well I just finished EVA completely along with that EoE movie. Just haven't watched the Rebuild movie.

It's alright I guess. Preferred it's comedic moments over its "deep" shit.

Rei is a literal whatever and is worst girl.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.