[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

takahashi interview

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 249
Thread images: 30

File: takahashi_dougram-1200x891.jpg (208KB, 1200x891px) Image search: [Google]
takahashi_dougram-1200x891.jpg
208KB, 1200x891px
Didn't see a thread for it
http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2016/09/06/ryosuke-takahashi-on-directing-anime-and-how-his-works-have-defined-mecha-for-over-three-decades/#54d78ac97c73
>>
Highlights from that interview and some personal insight into them:

>>“As to how the story of Dougram was made, during the 60s and 70s the security treaty between the U.S. and Japan was a very hot topic, especially with students. So there were lots of demonstrations and even riots. However, the older generation in Japanese society had no real issue with the treaty and were continuing their lives as normal. While students on the other hand would go to demonstrations and throw rocks. For me, I wasn’t involved with either group. I was a moderate, holding the middle ground. This was because my family was just my mother and I. My mother also worked at a labor union and as I child I grew up with that. In addition, inside the labor union I understood that there were many layers of management. It wasn’t a simple boss in charge and everyone else working, there was complexity. Though my mother was at the lower end. From that point of view, I didn’t agree with the communist approach. So I was more moderate. That’s why I wanted to show that kind of story in Dougram, where Crin’s father is part of the establishment and the guerrillas oppose that with Crin in the middle, as he doesn’t really know how the world works yet. As I was given a lot of freedom on the story, I put a lot of thought into it as well as my experiences."
>>
>>14708751

>>“As for BattleTech and MechWarrior, I wasn’t really aware of the fact that they used the mecha designs and story setting from Dougram. Personally, I don’t tend to think about my own copyrights all that much. As long as people are happy with something I’ve made then that’s OK with me. Of course, if Sunrise finds legal problems with copyrights and asks for me to do something about it, then I will consider that. As an individual though, I don’t follow those things. In addition, I am not interested in gaming and don’t work in that either. Naturally, as a creator I am happy that people in gaming reference my work a lot. I really like that.”
>>
>>14708756

>>"When I started on the second mecha series, VOTOMS, I started to think about what needed to be fixed after Dougram. The problem with Dougram was the mecha’s size. The Dougram was around 10 meters tall, which in animation can be depicted as being both small and large. So that wasn’t great in terms of the mecha’s sense of scale. The other major problem was the mecha’s speed at this size. Compared with Gundam, which features fights mostly set in space and looks fast, Dougram was entirely ground based. So battles were just running around on the ground and that lacked speed. I really wanted to do something about both the size of the mecha and its speed for the second series I did. From that point I thought about what would be a realistic size, so maybe 2 to around 5 meters. If it was 2 meters, maybe some small Japanese person could pilot it but it’s closer to a powered suit than a full on mecha. Also powered suits and powered armor were getting popular around that time too. Though, for me at that size, that wasn’t a mecha it was a powered suit, so 2 meters was too small. However, if it was 5 meters when drawn in the anime it won’t be that different between the 10 meter tall Dougram. People wouldn’t really notice the difference in terms of the animation. So I thought 4 meters was just right. At the same time, Okawara was thinking along the same lines and he too thought 4 meters was the smallest size where a mecha could still have a pilot and be a mecha. So we both agreed at that time that 4 meters was the right size for a realistic mecha."
>>
>>14708759

>>"“In terms of the story for VOTOMS, I had two main choices; one based around someone fighting within a hierarchy like in Mobile Suit Gundam, with the main character part of that system, and the other focused on a totally free man, so not part of any group or faction. I couldn’t really decide on which story to do and so I asked Yoshiyuki Tomino for his advice, on which story should I pick. Tomino thought it should be the free man, so from that I took the story in that direction. Following that I thought how would this free man need to pilot a mecha, so being free and still able to pilot a mecha. I took a hint from the Steve McQueen film, Junior Bonner, as he travels around different towns with his horse as his rodeo partner and makes money by winning the rodeo. That lead into Chirico Cuvie, where his partner is not a horse but a mecha and he fights from town to town in battling arenas to make money. This allowed Chirico to pilot a mecha without the need to being part of any kind of military faction or organization."
>>
>>14708764

>>“The mecha battling idea I also got from pro wrestling but I wanted to make it more serious, as it was obviously more deadly. One additional thing is that in my childhood and younger years, there were Jeeps everywhere left over from the Second World War. These Jeeps were originally made for military use but after the war ended, they were used everywhere and for non-military purposes. In that sense, I wanted to have the mecha in VOTOMS show up in a situation where the war was over and the mecha is no longer used in the way it was originally intended. Though, I didn’t want the mecha being used in construction or anything like that, so this rodeo type tournament in the form of mecha battling was a good fit."
>>
>>14708756
That struck me. For all the bashing it gets over here, the Japanese creators really don't seem all upset about the "Unseen" battletech mechs.
>>
>>14708773
>“The mecha battling idea I also got from pro wrestling
I want to know who his Fave Five are.
>>
>>14708773

>>"For Mellowlink, Takeyuki Kanda was the director. He’d worked on Round Vernian Vifam. The producer gave Kanda the series and I thought he was good with stories that dealt with younger characters. So I made the main character of Ality Mellowlink to be younger than Chirico and the word “Mellow” meant he was also a softer and more emotional type of character too. I also really wanted the story to be based around people’s beliefs. In that, Mellowlink believed in his team mates and that he’d avenge their betrayal. So the story was all about revenge really. In things like jidaigeki, there are lots of those kinds of revenge stories so I wanted to do that in a mecha anime."

Would Takahashi's fondness for Jidaigeki be why he was involved with the Rurouni Kenshin anime and Carried by the Wind Tsukikage Ran?
>>
>>14708779
It didn't really affect them, IIRC. Ultimately the designers already had their work seen by the people they wanted to show it to.
>>
>>14708751
>>14708756
>>14708759
>>14708764
>>14708773
>>14708806
This man's insight is astounding. I firmly believe that Takahashi is one of the most criminally underrated creators in anime. His ability to weave reality into fantasy is on Yokoyama's level IMO. Takahashi is hard boiled.
>>
File: gil-kun.jpg (34KB, 680x584px) Image search: [Google]
gil-kun.jpg
34KB, 680x584px
Thanks for the thread, OP. It was a great read. It's kinda rare to see those kind of interviews in our side of the world.
>>
This interview is very nice.

>>14708779
It doesn't get all that much IMO.
>>
Does Dougram have blurays?
>>
>>14708764

Wouldn't that imply Steve McQueen got his worse killed every other scene and he had to get a new one?
>>
>>14709037
horse*
>>
>>14708626
>it's ollie shilling his article again
>>
>>14708820
DEM GRAINS THOUGH
>>
File: Milia_Mac7.jpg (57KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Milia_Mac7.jpg
57KB, 600x450px
>>14708779
The creators don't really pay much mind because Battletech didn't really have any influence on them or their work.

Robotech is the only offender here, since it actually attacked Kawamori and Macross directly multiple times under mafia-tier circumstances.

It's just Battletech players running their mouth that end up getting the flak.
As long as people don't act like retards (and the stereotypical BTech grognard has a bit of a problem with that), it's really just more ways to play with our favorite robots, really.

We don't point out just how much Evangelion outright stole from other anime unless an idiot from /a/ comes around, either. It's the same principle.
>>
>>14709155
Plus it's not like BT INTENTIONALLY stole the designs. They paid for the rights to use them and credited the original designers, it just turned out the people they paid didn't actually own the rights.
>>
File: Archer original.png (2MB, 1400x640px) Image search: [Google]
Archer original.png
2MB, 1400x640px
>>14709365
Eh, BT is not exactly completely honest with all the shit either (for instance, there are pictures of something from Mosapeda in one of the old Wolf's Dragoons books), but it really doesn't matter in the end. Copyright rules tend to be on the retarded side of things, anyway.

It's just a work of some mecha nerds who liked giant robot anime and wanted to share it with the people who didn't have the means to grow up with it.
Heck, Char was a character in BT along other Zeta characters.
>>
>>14708764
There is just something so fascinating about hearing a director from overseas and talking about the influence they got from some form of media around the world in another language
>>
>>14709553
>Heck, Char was a character in BT along other Zeta characters.
>It's just a work of some mecha nerds who liked giant robot anime and wanted to share it with the people who didn't have the means to grow up with it.

When you put it that way, it sounds cool. Like a giant mecha crossover.
>>
anyone have that pastebin with all the oshii interviews and other stuff?
>>
This is really really cool. Thank you OP.
>>
>>14709578
>giant mecha crossover.
wow, a strategy game like that would be super, like some robot war or something
>>
File: kunio_okawara_desk.jpg (277KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
kunio_okawara_desk.jpg
277KB, 1280x720px
>>14708756
It actually varies and Takahashi made a point in saying that the rights aren't his but Sunrise's. What's more if Sunrise intend to do something about things like this he also said he'd support that. Generally, the people I talk to react differently over this issue, which is something I wanted people to see.

>>14709077
I don't post anon. Also if you see someone post anon and say it's me, it isn't.

Somewhat, connected I also interviewed Kunio Okawara last month. No sure if people here saw that?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2016/07/29/kunio-okawara-the-man-who-designed-gundam-and-created-the-profession-of-mechanical-design/
>>
>>14709932
>without him we wouldn’t really have mecha in the first place.

How one line can destroy an entire article
>>
>>14709932

Enjoying these articles a lot. It's cool to see this in English
>>
>>14710041
In the real robot sense, without his Dougram and VOTOMS designs we wouldn’t have BattleTech and Heavy Gear. What’s more, those games for many exemplify what mecha can be. So without Okawara, that situation wouldn’t exist. Obviously, in a super robot sense, Okawara was pre-dated but he was one of the first to be credited as a real mecha designer. He also helped birth the real robot and turn it into an actual thing.

Anyway, got lots more interviews in the pipeline.
>>
>>14710051
Thanks, they are a lot of work but need doing. A lot of these guys are in their 70s now.
>>
>>14710054
Tomino when?

Anyway, thanks for all the interviews so far.
>>
File: trash-opinion.jpg (23KB, 500x674px) Image search: [Google]
trash-opinion.jpg
23KB, 500x674px
>>14710054
>implying "real robot" is anything other than a SRW created buzzword
>>
>>14710073
Can't really say what I am working on next but hopefully people will find the articles interesting.

>>14710078
Whether it comes from SRW or not, it's still a valid and useful description.
>>
>>14710054
>He also helped birth the real robot and turn it into an actual thing.
The design has nothing to do with whether something is real or super.

And none of your statements explain how Okawara created mecha.
>>
>>14710057

I feel like most old Japanese game devs and anime people don't know how popular they are overseas and the die of old age and exhaustion.
>>
>>14710090

Oh god, is it 2012 again?
>>
>>14710097
Real and super depend on the story and how the robot is handled, not what it looks like. How someone could try to argue otherwise is insane.
>>
>>14710090
The design has an enormous role to play in whether it is real or super. For super robots, the design can be anything as there are practically no rules to govern its operation. Whereas real robots, it’s more about form follows function. This is why both Dougram and VOTOMS were so useful in gaming, as the ruleset that determined their operation is mostly inherent in the design. So when you copy those designs, you’re actually copying not only the visual aspect but also how they work and in turn how your game will play.

Without Okawara, the Western concept of what mecha are wouldn’t exist. To the extent that a lot of modern Western designs are clearly stuck in an 80s fuelled time loop obviously inspired by his works. Whether you like his designs or not, without him we wouldn’t have the contemporary understanding of what mecha are and can do.

Okawara also has a massive influence over how modern Japanese designers work as well obviously. When I interviewed Takayuki Yanase and Kanetake Ebikawa on their work on the Dariusburst games last year, they openly cited Okawara as still a main influence for them.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2015/11/28/dariusburst-chronicle-saviours-is-the-game-weve-waited-over-a-decade-for/

Anyway, to my mind without Okawara what we know as mecha today just wouldn’t exist.
>>
>>14710093
Sadly, this is very true and much of that is down to the language barrier I often find.

>>14710114
I think the gaming aspect really helps clarify that though. It's all about rules, something Takahashi talked about. Super robots eschew rules to look cool, whereas real robots have to operate within them. Their design is often inherently linked to that.
>>
>>14710054
>Anyway, got lots more interviews in the pipeline.
Look forward too it. I know you are more into the weeb thing, but I'd love it if you could get interviews with Syd Mead, Gendy, the Megas guys (George Krstic and Jody whatever), the Exosquad guys, etc
>>
>>14708756
Did Battletech really use story elements from Dougram? Heavy Gear's setting seems more closer than Battletech's.
>>
>>14710125
>The design has an enormous role to play in whether it is real or super.
It does not. For example, take these robots. They are considered to be real robot.

You want to argue realism or function, but these things do not exist with mecha. Every single element is rule of cool. Nothing about a Gundam is logical. It doesn't make a lick of sense. The difference is that in its story Gundam is a soldier robot and that's what made it different.
>>
>>14709906
>super, like some robot war or something
I'm not following you.
>>
>>14709932
Will you interview Nagano or maybe Izubuchi asking him to finish Rune Masquer?
>>
>>14709906
Nah, it's be a Super DUPER robot war
>>
>>14710318
>interview Nagano

Haha, like that will ever happen. Nagano is the most reclusive mecha designer in the anime industry.
>>
>>14710322
People have managed to interview the mysterious entity known as Shirow so I think anything is possible.
>>
>>14710326
That was before the earthquake and horsecocks, anon.

Nagano is like a corporate entity. His own social media pages aren't even run by him, but the higher-ups at Kadokawa. The only people who have been able to successfully interview him nowadays are big-time Japanese magazines like Eureka.

I would love to eat my words, but Ollie would have to go through tons of legalese to even be within 50 feet of Nagano.
>>
>>14710337
>His own social media pages aren't even run by him, but the higher-ups at Kadokawa.

They're really bad at running them considering they often go months without a single post.
>>
I'm loving these interviews, especially the Makato Kobayashi interview.

Thanks, Cacophanus- awesome work.
>>
>>14710352
Well yeah, they exist to simply promote events, not as a blog for Nagano. It's using Nagano as a brand name. Ollie won't have access to someone like that easily at all. I doubt he'll be able to get Katoki either, who has a similar marketing behind his name.
>>
>>14710322
They say if you can catch Nagano, he's forced to give you three wishes. But you must choose wisely. They can often backfire.
>>
>>14710372
I've seen a bunch of interviews in moonprint with Ka. Doesn't seem like he's a recluse or anything.
>>
>>14710422
No, Katoki's not a recluse, but he's the property of Bandai. Pretty much all the interviews you see with him are Q&A's about his own products like the Ver Ka manuals. Nagano is kind of the same way in that most of his interviews are in Newtype magazine where FSS is published. But he rarely pops up unlike Katoki, who has a new kit to advertise every few months.
>>
>>14708751
Oh, this is a great interview. I never knew Takahashi's approach to Dougram was so influenced by things like labor unions, this is fascinating.

>>14708756
Haha, it seems like he's a real nice guy too. I bet the Battletech guys would be happy to hear he's happy they reference him.
>>
>>14710419
>be me
>catch Nagano in his basement
>Me: "I want you to release Gothicmade!"
>Nagano: *retcons all of FSS into Gothicmade*
>his face when I try to kill him shortly after
>>
>>14710480
>be autistic
>write greentext story
>>
>>14709932
Is this actually Ollie?

If so, thank you for bringing us these interviews. I love Takahashi's works, so this was a great read.
>>
>>14710180
My remit at Forbes is to cover Japanese games and pop-culture, as I live and work in Tokyo. That's about it really. I've done lots of different interviews and features since I started. I get that the mecha thing is more picked up on here but it's a big part of the pop-culture in Japan. To not cover it would be just very weird.

>>14710265
Realism in a real world sense is something that “real robot” doesn't necessarily stand for. Just that within the context of its world setting that it consistently adheres to its own rules. Such as with how mobile suits work down to the discovery of the obviously fictional Minovsky particle. The rule of cool still applies to a degree but like Takahashi said, it's about the rules. The Gundam Wing mecha maybe flashy but they have strict and mostly consistent limitations. Limitations that are also present on the designs themselves.

>>14710354
Thanks, I am glad at least someone here likes these articles.

>>14710520
Yep, it's actually me.
>>
>As an aside, many people think that Yoshiyuki Tomino is the father of Gundam and it’s clear he did have a role in its formation and writing. Yet after reading both the manga and now seeing the anime of The Origin I am more inclined to think the heart of Gundam was and always has been Yoshikazu Yasuhiko. Especially as the recent Tomino series Reconguista in G is somewhat of an erratic endeavor.

>Tomino clearly revels in tangential chaos but Yasuhiko has grounded Gundam again and made it relevant for a modern era of anime.

People are actually taking this faggot seriously?
>>
>>14710736
How do you set up all these interviews? Does having the Forbes nametag help?
>>
>>14710769
If you read the Okarawa and Kobayashi interviews, they both indicate that Tomino was by no means the only figure involved in the production of various Gundam anime. It’s obvious really and something Takahashi was keen to clarify, as he spent most of the interview citing the work of other people on his various productions. I still regard Tomino very highly but an anime’s production is a complex one in terms of all the people involved.

>>14710771
Not really, in general people in Japan are very wary of the Western press. So I have that to deal with. I also think it’s one of the main reasons why other Western publications get discouraged on covering the pop-culture here. However, I know a great deal about the subject matter I cover and that tends to put people at ease. When I start to talk in detail and from memory about the various things people have worked on, that often gets them very excited and happy to open up. As I don’t think they expect someone from the West like me to know about any of this stuff. For instance, Kobayashi was super happy I knew of Dragon’s Heaven and gave me a big bear hug after my interview with him.
>>
>>14710838
>For instance, Kobayashi was super happy I knew of Dragon’s Heaven and gave me a big bear hug after my interview with him.
This is pretty cute.
>>
>>14710769
At least he's giving us valuable interviews. I appreciate that.
>>
>>14710838
>Not really, in general people in Japan are very wary of the Western press. So I have that to deal with. I also think it’s one of the main reasons why other Western publications get discouraged on covering the pop-culture here. However, I know a great deal about the subject matter I cover and that tends to put people at ease. When I start to talk in detail and from memory about the various things people have worked on, that often gets them very excited and happy to open up. As I don’t think they expect someone from the West like me to know about any of this stuff. For instance, Kobayashi was super happy I knew of Dragon’s Heaven and gave me a big bear hug after my interview with him.

Interesting. So how do you contact them and set up the interviews then? Do you just email or call them, or is there more to it?
>>
>>14710973
It really varies, for Takahashi I had to go through Sunrise to set it up but with Okawara I just e-mailed him directly.
>>
>>14710838
Also, are you like actually fluent in Japanese or is there a translator with you?
>>
>>14710983
I can speak Japanese a bit but with interviews I always use an interpreter. I don't want to misquote anyone.
>>
>>14710982
>I had to go through Sunrise

If he can go through Sunrise maybe he can get Nagano and perhaps steal a copy of GTM from his vault.
>>
>>14710992
>>14710997
Yeah Ollie, have you even seen Gothicmade? Kind of surprising to not hear you of all people not talk about it.
>>
>>14711005
I arrived in Japan at the end of 2013, so I missed it sadly. Friends saw it though and weren't overly impressed.
>>
>>14710997
Nagano hasn't been affiliated with Sunrise since the 80s. Going there will do him no good. To reach Nagano he would have to go through Kadokawa, which is an even bigger monster than Sunrise and almost on par with Aniplex. Not to mention various other legal entities Nagano owns like EDIT.
>>
>>14711009
It with playing in a select theater early this year
>>
>>14711009
You mean the shitposting moon guy who talked about it here on /m/ and 3.0 when they came out?
>>
>>14711012
I missed that too then, as I was busy with work.
>>
>>14711015
Doubt it, these were Japanese friends and I am pretty sure they don't post here.
>>
>>14711021
Were they at least familiar with FSS? Most of the complaints I've seen from the movie stem from people who went in expecting mecha action and getting buttblasted when there was practically none.

Hell, are you even familiar with FSS?
>>
>>14711026
Of course! I love FSS. Got all the manga and bought the English versions of that too. Seen the anime and built far too many mortar headd kits over the years as well. I mean, what kind of a question even is that?!?

My friends that saw Gothicmade were mixed in terms of knowing about Nagano and FSS. The general consensus was that it just wasn't that good. I still want to see it myself though.
>>
>>14711035
Thoughts on the GTM designs and vol 13?
>>
>>14711037
I really like the old FSS designs. I get that Nagano doesn't own those and he's tried to redesign everything so he can reclaim the rights. I tend to prefer Nagano's older work though.
>>
>>14711035
>My friends that saw Gothicmade were mixed in terms of knowing about Nagano and FSS. The general consensus was that it just wasn't that good. I still want to see it myself though.

General consensus was that if you read FSS it was a pretty great movie, if you weren't familiar with it you would be confused as fuck and probably not like it, especially the lack of action and mecha. Essentially the same complaints as the original FSS movie.

Hell, it even got praised by Toshio Okada and Makoto Kobayashi, so that counts for something.

Be a true pioneer and watch it for of all /m/ the next time it pops up Ollie.
>>
>>14711042
>I get that Nagano doesn't own those
Is there actually a credible source for that?

Also did Takahashi say anything about FLAG?
>>
File: gtm mk-ii.jpg (83KB, 604x848px) Image search: [Google]
gtm mk-ii.jpg
83KB, 604x848px
>>14711042
>I get that Nagano doesn't own those and he's tried to redesign everything so he can reclaim the rights.

Wait what? You actually believe this silly rumor? If Nagano didn't have the design rights to the Mortar Headds because they looked like L-Gaim designs, then why would one of the new designs be literally the L-Gaim Mk-II?

From all the sources I've seen Nagano just got bored of the old designs for whatever reason.
>>
>>14711044
Interesting, my friends that read FSS weren't all that impressed with it. The same as those that hadn't even heard of FSS.

Kobayashi is a good guy though and will totally check out if it is ever on in theaters again in Tokyo. It's just that the start of this year was crazy busy for me and I had practically no free time.
>>
>>14711053
>Interesting, my friends that read FSS weren't all that impressed with it. The same as those that hadn't even heard of FSS.

That's not what this site tells me:

https://www.anikore.jp/anime_review/3917/

Still, I can imagine them being pretty salty about it if they adored the Mortar Headds and found out this movie effectively retconned them. out of existence.
>>
>>14711048
Takahashi didn't really talk about FLAG at all, except in passing about use of CG like in Pailsen Files. We actually ran out of time and there were loads of other things I wanted to ask, so maybe next time if there ever is one.

>>14711050
It's not so much about the designs directly but about the overall rights due to the publishing deal FSS initially had. Sunrise and L-Gaim don't come into it and even though that looks like the Mk. II it's still been modified enough to be something clearly new. After all the old Junchoon is basically the L-Gaim and that never incurred any legal issues. Anyway, when I get to interview him it's one of the main things I will ask about.
>>
>>14711058
Well, they are my friends and not an anime review site. They are a mixed bunch too, so it was interesting to me that they all responded in the same way. Like I said though, I want to see it if I can.
>>
>>14711059
>It's not so much about the designs directly but about the overall rights due to the publishing deal FSS initially had.

Interesting, so you're talking about Toyspress and EDIT, along with Automatic Flowers then? Is it because Nagano left Toyspress in '06? So Toyspress currently owns the rights to FSS. And how would Nagano still be getting those FSS plastic models from Volks to be made then? Weird stuff, but if true that would definitely be a better explanation than "Nagnao went insane as usual".
>>
if you ever get to interview Go Nagai, ask him why his mangas aren't available in English
>>
File: nagano-sazabi.jpg (337KB, 834x1109px) Image search: [Google]
nagano-sazabi.jpg
337KB, 834x1109px
>>14711059
>when I get to interview him

Damn, did you actually manage to schedule it? I'm impressed.
>>
>>14711076
Here's one reason why

>Vertical asks Dynamic Pro
>DP wants them to do Mao Dante first
>Vertical says no
>>
File: 1469289528193.jpg (17KB, 500x382px) Image search: [Google]
1469289528193.jpg
17KB, 500x382px
>>14708626
>As for the story, as I briefly said before my family was just my mother and I. This is because my father died fighting in Second World War, in New Guinea, and he left for the war a month before I was born. So I’ve never known my father. In that regard, all the stories I make tend to have a father like figure as an integral part of the narrative. Mostly to oppose the main character. In Dougram, the father figure was Crin’s actual father but with VOTOMS this father like figure was in fact Wiseman. However, in the case of Galient this opposing figure was Marder. Where Marder had this idea about how the human race should be and he wanted Jordy to act in that way but Jordy obviously opposes that. So it’s always this opposition between father and son.
>>
>>14711135
Yeah, this gave me feels too. Poor Takahashi ;_;
>>
>>14711135
Ok but did Takahashi have blue hair himself when he was young?
>>
>>14711026
>Most of the complaints I've seen from the movie stem from people who went in expecting mecha action and getting buttblasted when there was practically none.

Yes, that's a good description of FFS.
>>
>>14711071
I never thought it was Nagano being crazy, as that makes no sense. However, it’s this kind of thing I want to drill down on in interviews. Like with the Galient designs with Takahashi. I knew Okawara only penned the Galient and Izubuchi did the rest, but we never knew why. It’s widely assumed that the situation with the early editions of FSS that Nagano wasn’t in full ownership but I want to find out for sure. To be honest, that’s the whole point of doing interviews like this.

>>14711081
We’ll see. I can’t make any promises though.

>>14711135
Yeah, when he said this in the interview it basically broke my heart.
>>
>>14711186
I recall someone here translating some parts of a book about Ookawara mentioning why he was called in. Something about Izubuchi's (not directly mentioned) not looking like a MC's mecha or something. Someone here probably remembers this thread.
>>
File: nagano-ikuhara.jpg (37KB, 318x706px) Image search: [Google]
nagano-ikuhara.jpg
37KB, 318x706px
>>14711186
>I never thought it was Nagano being crazy, as that makes no sense.

You do know who you are talking about, right?
>>
>>14711202
Well the interesting thing there is that Okawara also said that the roller dash in VOTOMS was due to saving animation costs, as it required few cels. However, Takahashi said that wasn't true. So, yeah it's always best to get the direct answer as a lot of the time, even in books, the information can be misleading.
>>
>>14711220
In terms of his work output though, he's very consistent and diligent. I wasn't talking about his personality more about professional decision making.
>>
>>14711225
FSS had a lot of delays and hiatuses though, not sure I would call him consistent either. Not to mention 6 whole years on Gothicmade. Nagano is not exactly a diligent individual.

There's also a bunch of Japanese rumors about how those hiatuses are because he's spending all his time playing video games, but I'm not sure if that has any truth to it at all.
>>
>>14711231
The situation with FSS and Gothicmade may in part be down to this whole rights situation. His work for other studios has always been very good though, or so I hear. On the video games thing, yeah heard that too. Apparently, he loves Monster Hunter but like I said, doing interviews is the only way you find out what's really going on.
>>
>>14711225

Thank you for coming all the way here Mr. Barder. I really loved your interview with Shoji Kawamori. You managed to get both Okawara and Takahashi into the radar for English speakers.

I have this one question: How do you select the people you interview?

Sorry for going off-topic in this thread. BTW, I'm the one posting at >>14708756, >>14708756, >>14708759, >>14708764, and >>14708773.

Also, what Takahashi had to say on Layzner:

“Regarding the early cancellation of Layzner, I don’t know the details behind what Sanyo, one of the show’s sponsors, did. Though it is true they pulled out their sponsorship of the series. The reasons why Layzner likely stopped early are only probably two; either the ratings of the show were low or the toys and kits didn’t sell well. I am guessing it was probably both in this case."
>>
>>14711321
Well, like I said previously my remit at Forbes is to cover Japanese games and pop-culture. So the interviews I do are to do with that. Personally, I try and talk to more of the hands on people, as there’s no such thing as a super creator, which is why I spoke with people like Kobayashi. While I knew he’d written and directed Dragon’s Heaven, he’d also worked on Zeta Gundam and Yamato. So he’d have insight on the various layers of anime production. I also try and find people that haven’t been interviewed before, with things like the Yoshiki Tanaka interview being the first one he ever did for an English publication (I also have a feeling that the same is true for Okawara as well). In the case of Kazuya Niinou I wanted people to know more about how Dragon Quest Builders was made. As that game merges Minecraft within the framework of classic Dragon Quest. Anyway, all the interviews require a lot of groundwork, with the Kawamori interviews taking around a year of preparation before they went ahead. So it’s a lot of work but I think thus far it’s been worth it. Glad you liked the articles at least.
>>
>>14710736
>Realism in a real world sense is something that “real robot” doesn't necessarily stand for.
So then what does it stand for?
>Just that within the context of its world setting that it consistently adheres to its own rules
What mecha series doesn't? Here lies the MASSIVE FLAW in your argument.

You're just another generic know-nothing who claims to be some sort of mecha expert when the fact is you have no fucking clue what you're talking about because your experience with mecha is limited to a handful of Tomino and Takahashi series along with some video games. You assert that super robots look a certain way and follow no internal consistency. This is wrong on every single level.

You're a pleb, plain and simple.
>>
>>14711415
Most super robot series have a vague set of rules that are quickly superseded via often magical means. The designs of super robots also don't imply their basic functionality. Real robots on the other hand have to work within stringent rulesets and their designs often show how they operate in a functional sense. These are broad categories and they aren’t hard and fast but they are still useful. Much of this originates from gaming, as games are based around rules. It’s why we tend to lack a lot of action oriented super robot games, as they aren’t bound by rules, and also why the whole battle animation setup in Super Robot Wars came about.

As for the other stuff, whatever. I’ve been watching mecha anime and playing mecha video games since I was a little kid. I don’t profess to be an expert but I am hardly a pleb either. If I was, I doubt the likes of Aramaki, Kawamori, Kobayashi, Okawara or Takahashi would even talk to me.
>>
>>14711221
>Well the interesting thing there is that Okawara also said that the roller dash in VOTOMS was due to saving animation costs, as it required few cels. However, Takahashi said that wasn't true.
They both can be right there. One had the idea of going for something fast and the other had the higher-ups leaning in and telling him to add more dashes because those are cheaper to animate.
The comments probably come from two different interviews with each having its distinct focus.
>>
>>14710769
>Yasuhiko has grounded Gundam again and made it relevant for a modern era of anime.
By essentially copying every Tomino did and making it more stupid?
>>
>>14711424
>Most super robot series have a vague set of rules that are quickly superseded via often magical means
This is false.
>The designs of super robots also don't imply their basic functionality.
Actually, it does.
>Real robots on the other hand have to work within stringent rulesets
That false. Just like at all of the magical stuff Gundams consistently pull, such as creating impervious energy shields from emotions.

>These are broad categories and they aren’t hard and fast but they are still useful.
No, they're damaging. We can directly observe this by your posts asserting that supers are nonsensical inconsistent magical things while reals are stringent machines that follow absolute laws based on their design. These are both incredibly, incredibly false and shows how new you really are.

>Much of this originates from gaming
No, it doesn't. Not in the slightest. It directly originates from marketing for Mazinger Z and marketing for Gundam. Would you stop spewing baseless bullshit for a second?

>It’s why we tend to lack a lot of action oriented super robot games, as they aren’t bound by rules
What? That's an insane statement. The fact is, that most mecha IPs aren't popular enough nowadays to get video games made except for Gundam. But there are still video games based on non-Gundam robots like Mazinger Z, they just tend to be older. SRW is just an exception but it includes all the mecha that it can.

>I don’t profess to be an expert but I am hardly a pleb either.
You're already showing how disgustingly ignorant your are ITT though. This is shit /m/ has discussed for years yet you're still on the level of MAL.
>If I was, I doubt the likes of Aramaki, Kawamori, Kobayashi, Okawara or Takahashi would even talk to me.
Are you seriously implying they only talk to knowledgeable fans? That's a ridiculous statement, you seem to be full of them.

Your ignorant article comments just continue to poison the well of mecha.
>>
>>14711415
>>14711424
Eh, I'd say you're both wrong.

Real robot shows simply explain the robot while super robot does not.
"We made a robot because X vs there was once a robot who did X."

he distinction comes from games and it's not like there are any real barriers as to how you can make your dream robot show.
>>
>>14711349

I meant you personally. As in, are you willing to interview anyone, especially if requested? Like, are you willing interview someone who doesn't get that much on popularity, like say, Lim Dal-Young?
>>
>>14711426
The comments are from interviews I conducted with the same question to both parties. The difference is that Okawara started on projects before the animation began, as he had to design toys to keep the sponsors happy. Whereas Takahashi worked on the animation when it entered production. As Takahashi dealt with the animation budget directly I am inclined to think his comments are more accurate.

>>14711435
The Origin makes Gundam human in the way the original TV series and movie were, the emotional heart feels like it was Yas (as it was mostly absent after that). You see it in series like Giant Gorg too. I am glad to see it back really.

>>14711449
Super robot shows for the most part break the rules they set out all the time because it is satisfying in a narrative sense, to see the protagonist break free of restriction (something Takahashi also mentioned I might add). Most super robot design also doesn’t imply functionality, they just look cool. Some of the later era types are better at this but they are closer to super real robots than full on super robots. Real robots are built on limitations, that’s what makes their anime tense. The gaming angle is a big part of all this as it grounds a lot of this, as games need rules to operate. The fact super robots don’t get mecha action games isn’t down to investment really, as even on the Another Century’s Episode games they treated both Shin Getter Robo and Aquarion as basically very heavy real robots.

Finally, anyone I interview wouldn’t talk to me if I didn’t know in considerable depth the work they had done. Being a fan doesn’t come into it. They need to feel confident I share the same knowledge base. It’s one of the main reasons I’ve been able to secure these interviews in the first place.
>>
>>14711528
Personally, I try and pick individuals I think either myself or others might find interesting. Especially, if they haven't been given a voice previously.

In regard to Lim Dall-young, while I love his work my remit is to cover Japan really. There are some exceptions to that, as I have covered games from China and Thailand, but generally in terms of interviews the focus needs to be Japanese.

I get that people here want Nagano to be interviewed but I am currently focusing on many of the older figures in Japan. As I am very much aware that they won’t be with us forever.
>>
>>14711508
>Real robot shows simply explain the robot while super robot does not.
Since when was Unicorn explained?

>>14711531
>Super robot shows for the most part break the rules they set out all the time
That is a completely baseless generalization. Between both real and super there are about the same frequency of robots that break their own rules. You're welcome to post proofs.

>Most super robot design also doesn’t imply functionality, they just look cool.
MAL level comment. Or are you seriously trying to imply that Gundam's samurai helm human face is more of a functional design that Mazinger Z's pilder docking head?

>Real robots are built on limitations, that’s what makes their anime tense.
This is also all completely false. You are directly saying that super robot series lack limitations, lack tension, lack functionality, lack logic, lack basically everything good in writing. You a typical real robot plebeian posing as someone knowledgeable. This is the kind of newfag drivel you hear all the time from people literally new to the genre of mecha. You should really stop, because it is quite obvious that you have no experience with anything outside of what you deem real robot. You have a very limited scope of mecha.

>The fact super robots don’t get mecha action games isn’t down to investment really,
No, it's down to that pretty much only Gundam and video game original IPs gets regular mecha video games especially nowadays. There are all kinds of robot video games that are JP only.

>Finally, anyone I interview wouldn’t talk to me if I didn’t know in considerable depth the work they had done.
You only interview a very small subset of creators that you personally know and like. That does not somehow give you credentials to talk about mecha series that you have no experience with.

Now, besides all of this bullshit that you've dug up, how about the main point? How did Okawara create mecha? That is an absurd statement.
>>
>>In regard to Lim Dall-young, while I love his work my remit is to cover Japan really. There are some exceptions to that, as I have covered games from China and Thailand, but generally in terms of interviews the focus needs to be Japanese.

I see, but you're aware that Lim has written for Japanese publishing companies, right?

To get back on-topic: Given that Takahashi couldn't stick around that long during your interview, was there anything you could have brought up, but couldn't out of time restraints?
>>
>>14711577

Meant for >>14711539.
>>
>>14711554
In the context of Gundam Unicorn, you see that at the end of Char’s Counterattack that the psycho-frame is able to wield extreme kinetic power when it is only based around the pilot’s cockpit. This is upgraded in Unicorn when both the Unicorn and Banshee have the same material throughout the mobile suit frame, amplifying the effects, which at the end of Unicorn is something similar to an I-Field. Within the context of the story it’s telegraphed quite overtly.

Getter Robo uses Getter Rays as a get out pretty much all the time, without much in the way of narrative build up or exposition. Gundam, while vague, is a lot better at explaining the limitations of things like Newtypes. Whereas in VOTOMS, it’s shown that the real potent aspect to the mecha is Chirico himself, as the Scopedog is a factory built machine and entirely unremarkable.

On Gundam’s face, Okawara stated he made that to look like a samurai and that Gundam bridged the super and real approach, so not everything was purely functional. This he corrected on further series like Dougram and VOTOMS. However, the things like the beam sabers being placed on the backpack in Gundam. You can see those and where they originate when used. Not to mention the shield and beam rifle. You can see what they do, it’s very obvious.
>>
>>14711554
Super robot anime has tension, logic and some fantastic writing but on the whole it’s just that the mecha are wish fulfilment. I mean I love series like Dancouga, and that admittedly has more real robot elements, but it has a lot of wonderfully daft aspects to it. Its part of its charm I suppose. I like the pathos in a lot of super robot anime though.

As someone that works in games for a living, the type of mecha games we get isn’t limited to investment as studios like Level-5 are making games like Megaton Musashi. A game very much based around classic super robots (though it isn’t an action game, for obvious reasons). Gundam gets a lot of games because people want to play those. As for games being Japan only releases, is that even a thing in this day and age? Most consoles are region free and importing games is incredibly easy.

On the interviews, for instance Okawara wouldn’t have let me interview him if I didn’t know the super robot shows or earlier anime he’d worked on (all of which I’ve watched obviously). I interview all manner of people, whether I personally find them interesting or not. It’s my job.

As for my final comment on Okawara’s interview, “without him we wouldn’t really have mecha in the first place”, as I already said, what many regard to be mecha stem from the work Okawara has done. Mecha in the West wouldn’t exist in the way we know it today. His impact has shaped and codified what mecha is in terms of them being functional, though fictional, machines. He designed them as vehicles based around an abstract ruleset, even Go Nagai didn’t do that. In that regard, as mecha are known today he is very much responsible for that.
>>
>>14711577
Yeah, he has and that might be angle I could take (as I have in the past). It's not that I am against interviewing someone like him but that my remit is quite specific. I am entirely open to suggestions though. I mean, I work for my readers. It's not about me.

On the Takahashi interview, I wanted to find out more about why Layzner had been cancelled. I also wanted to talk more about Gasaraki as well as discuss Blue Gender. Not to mention talk about Flag in more detail.

In case you are wondering, we talked for about two and a half hours. While he was quite energetic, he is quite old and I didn't want to tire him out. He's a really kind and calm person though.
>>
>>14711591
>Gundam Unicorn
>Within the context of the story it’s telegraphed quite overtly.
>Getter Robo
>Getter Rays as a get out pretty much all the time, without much in the way of narrative build up or exposition.

Why are you pretending you know anything about Getter Robo while simultaneously defending Unicorn? Please stop being disingenuous.

>Whereas in VOTOMS, it’s shown that the real potent aspect to the mecha is Chirico himself, as the Scopedog is a factory built machine and entirely unremarkable.

Then you bring this up after slamming Getter Robo? In Getter Robo, the getter machines are just one of hundreds of machines. They don't require special pilots. No individual machine is some special irreplaceable robot.

>it’s shown that the real potent aspect to the mecha is Chirico himself

again going to Getter Robo since you wanted to use that, the entire first portion of the series is about finding pilots good enough for the robot. You're being hypocritical.

>On Gundam’s face, Okawara stated he made that to look like a samurai and that Gundam bridged the super and real approach, so not everything was purely functional.

But then what about decades of real robots that followed? None of those designs are functional. They're all humanoid fighting robots like anything else. Many of them are even clown colored which goes against your narrative.

>>14711592
>but on the whole it’s just that the mecha are wish fulfilment.

This is an insane comment. Somehow real robots aren't wish fulfillment? It's pure fantasy for the sake of being cool.

>Dancouga, and that admittedly has more real robot elements, but it has a lot of wonderfully daft aspects to it.

So you say that Dancouga is basically real robot, but because it has "daft" aspects to it, then it becomes super? That's idiotic.

>Gundam gets a lot of games because people want to play those

Gundam is a major Bandai property. Of course it gets games. It has nothing to do with being real or super.
>>
>>14711592
>As for my final comment on Okawara’s interview, “without him we wouldn’t really have mecha in the first place”

Is completely different from

>Mecha in the West wouldn’t exist in the way we know it today

>He designed them as vehicles based around an abstract ruleset, even Go Nagai didn’t do that

Go Nagai did that with Mazinger Z and Yokoyama before him. Ishinomori also did much of the same.

What are you trying to say is that Okawara has been a huge influence, and he has. But saying
>without him we wouldn’t really have mecha in the first place
Is plainly false and frankly full stop dumb.
>>
>>14711592
>He designed them as vehicles based around an abstract ruleset, even Go Nagai didn’t do that.
Pretty sure Mazinger was supposed to be driven like a motorcycle.
>>
>robot in robot army
real robot
>robot super hero
super robot

/m/ has been over this way too much to now know this, we need a sticky
>>
>>14711678
He didn't really do that at all with Mazinger. Every robot as a concept was completely unique to itself. Gundam designs followed a set of mechanical design cues based around the technology of the setting resulting in a series of mechanical designs, intended from the outset to be nothing more than equipment, that looked like they were in fact built in a factory using mundane tech that follows the rules of physics for the setting.

tl;dr he was the first to actually design robots to be mundane frigging robots and reflect that visually. Before that even mass produced robots in other settings looked like Super MCs and Braves and shit.
>>
>>14711592
>Getter Robo uses Getter Rays as a get out pretty much all the time, without much in the way of narrative build up or exposition

Have you read Ken Ishikawa's Getter Robo Saga manga series? Because it does sound to me that you haven't.

The entire narrative of Ishikawa's series is based on Getter rays.
>>
>>14711695
>he was the first to actually design robots to be mundane frigging robots
What is Tetsujin 28? That's a real robot right there, and it predates Mazinger.

The division between real and super is actually pretty fucking simple.

Back in the 70s, people thought Mazinger loooked cool.

Back in the 80s, people thought Gundam looked cool.

It's not rocket science. Designs change over time.
>>
>>14711695
>He didn't really do that at all with Mazinger. Every robot as a concept was completely unique to itself.
Except all of the Photon Power Lab robots had similar designs/traits and all of the mechanical beasts followed their own design style.
>>
>>14711701
Points for actually going there. Nobody brings up tetsujin for these discussions. That said, there was only one tetsujin. There was no 'rule' to follow for designs as there was only one design.
>>
>>14711695
>please ignore the pesky detail that my entire post is complete bullshit
>>
File: laughing_nekoII.png (763KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
laughing_nekoII.png
763KB, 800x800px
>>14711703
>That said, there was only one tetsujin
>Tetsujin 28
>Twenty Eight
>there was only one Tetsujin
>>14711705
>>
>>14711702
And they still looked like Super MCs, and the Mazinger Army were each unique, one of a kind machines instead of Mazinger GMs.
>>
>>14711707
I've never watched the show admittedly but I've never seen any indication that there were more tetsujins. I haven't assumed numbers attached to names meant anything in years.
>>
File: download.jpg (486KB, 750x563px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
486KB, 750x563px
>>14711695
>that looked like they were in fact built in a factory using mundane tech that follows the rules of physics for the setting.
Really? If I was the factory manager, I'd fire anyone who would design the Gundam for functional purposes.

I really want to know why you think Mazinger's and Gundam's designs are that far apart. Because I don't see anything in Mazinger that makes it more impossible than anything in Gundam.

Mazinger isn't fucking Ginguiser for heaven's sake.
>>
>>14711709
28th is the production number. Go watch the 2004 remake to see what I'm talking about.
>>
>>14711708
>And they still looked like Super MCs
That's a rather vague insult.
>and the Mazinger Army were each unique, one of a kind machines instead of Mazinger GMs.
That's because Mazinger is actually more realistic about having giant robots than Gundam is. In real life, how many air carriers do you think a nation like the USA has? Hint: there are only 10. Each robot in the Mazinger army takes an incredibly long time to build so the number was few.

However, they all shared the same design points and lineage. But in the story, Yumi's understanding of photon power isn't good enough to match Kabuto's Mazinger, so each of the Mazinger army robots are just design aspects of Mazinger. This means that each robot is based on a single weapon wielded by Mazinger, with Dion being designed for Breat Fire and Bion being for Rust Hurricane. Million Apha is designed for Photon Beams. I don't have enough room to go into details, but it's plain to see that each robot is functionally designed and adheres to the narrative of the story. Eat shit.
>>
File: mazinger-army-reborn-3.jpg (137KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
mazinger-army-reborn-3.jpg
137KB, 1280x720px
>>14711708
>Mazinger Army were each unique
>>
>this thread

I really wish casuals didn't try to write about niche subjects.
>>
>>14711727
It's always the real fags who are this ignorant.

They all grew up watching Gundam Wing and Robotech, and have a clouded perception of pre-Gundam series.
>>
>>14711720
I guess I'm just being nitpicky about shit like vents, joints, and cameras.
>>
>>14711752
>vents, joints, and cameras.
and were added because they looked cool
>>
>>14709932
Fuck off ollie you filthy britbong
>>
>>14711321
>either the ratings of the show were low or the toys and kits didn’t sell well. I am guessing it was probably both in this case
I remember reading this somewhere long time ago that Layzner was aired at the same time slot with Zeta Gundam on a different channel. So basically people are flooding to Zeta since it's a new Gundam work after a while while Layzner stays in the shadows.
>>
>it's really a ollie shilling thread
god dammit you fucking stupid weeb
>>
>>14711727
I wish ollie would die already
>>
>>14711773
>>14711777
>>14711779
I didn't know this pleb already had a history. He just gets worse with every post.
>>
>>14711727
Why are we so defensive over our interests?
>>
>>14711794
Because contaminating anything with misinformation is poisonous. We're already on life support, we don't need idiots yanking at the plug. Dismissing over half of a genre as ridiculous kiddy shit that is inferior to Gundam is a death knell.
>>
>>14711796
From what i see, it's just one. The Real Robot thingie. Is that all?
>>
>>14711801
yeah it's just some tismos arguing over labels because they're too fucking stupid to watch shows and actually comment on the show they watch
>>
>>14710838
>in general people in Japan are very wary of the Western press

Why is that? Are they worried that whatever they'll say be just made into "oh those crazy japanese are so weird" fodder?
>>
File: Yu.jpg (38KB, 638x478px) Image search: [Google]
Yu.jpg
38KB, 638x478px
>>14711531
>You see it in series like Giant Gorg too
The characters in Giant Gorg were largely one-dimensional. The only interesting character was Captain everyone else barring Yu and Manon were either just there or insufferable.
>>
>>14711822
Japan actually has a lot of things they want to keep hidden. Probably out of agenda. Mass protest in Japan was not publicize in news or even let any journalist close to it. I heard that even their entertainment they have a habit to not let the world know. Like how and why Johnny's is ruling the entertainment industry there.
>>
>>14711801
More like dozens of ludicrous statements involving mecha that aren't Gundam or its ilk. The article would be good if it featured the interview and absolutely none of the writer's shallow thoughts on mecha.
>>
File: Johnny5-2.jpg (64KB, 548x800px) Image search: [Google]
Johnny5-2.jpg
64KB, 548x800px
>>14711864
>Johnny's is ruling the entertainment industry there
wat
>>
>>14711231
>FSS had a lot of delays and hiatuses though, not sure I would call him consistent either. Not to mention 6 whole years on Gothicmade. Nagano is not exactly a diligent individual.

FSS's only big hiatus was during the production of Gothicmade, which stopped the series for 9 years. And let's not forget that Nagano more or less worked on Gothicmade with a skeleton crew and didn't go the easy route with computers and CGI like Shinkai, and then got hit by the big 2011 earthquake right before he was about to be done with it.. I don't know how the final product turned out, but it definitely took massive amounts of effort to make.

If you've read any other thing about Nagano, like his section in the Origin and Yasuhiko's later comments about him, you would know that he works his ass off. He's definitely not like Miura or Togashi.
>>
>>14711869
Okay i had a giggle.

Though seriously, they had an agenda of some sorts because their set of beliefs are clashing with the western thoughts. What they find okay is not okay with the western world whose their job is trying to hammer their ideal on the world.

Like the Olympic 2020 case where the UN trying to shame Japan for their child pornography comic. Then some Japanese ambassador (who is a woman) came to the stage and defend it saying that "Most child porn artist are woman. Stripping that is equal to stripping their rights of expressions". And "There are serious case of rapings in India and major problem needs solving around the world. How about you focus on that instead of some porno on a paper?".

As you can see, they have a lifestyle to protect and an ideal to protect in this world whose the west decide what is good for them.
>>
>>14711886
>Most child porn artist are woman. Stripping that is equal to stripping their rights of expressions

Savage.
>>
>>14711886
You sure you're not remembering wrong? From what I remember it was about the depiction of women in Japanese media.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2016/03/03/japanese-response-to-un-proposed-ban-for-media-depicting-sexual-violence-is-cogent-and-sane/#6e79a7321795
>>
>>14711886
Though seriously what the fuck are you talking about with "Johnny's is ruling the entertainment industry"
What the fuck is a Johnny's.
>>
>>14711936
I guess i do remember it wrongly. I think that is the right one.

>>14711938
It's a huge entertainment company in Japan. They pretty much dominating whatever pop in Japanese music industry. It's not much different than US pop dominance though. Different is that they have some set of criteria of monopoly and does not allow other entertainment company to compete with them toe to toe
>>
Western media and especially are scummy social engineers, they are not there to get the truth out, but try to brainwash every cultures into their political correct, progressive versions.

Even Gandhi said:
"“I believe in equality for everyone, except reporters and photographers.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
>>
>>14711956
>Western media and especially journalists are scummy social engineers*
>>
File: jt2-4.jpg (133KB, 490x693px) Image search: [Google]
jt2-4.jpg
133KB, 490x693px
>>14711864

>Johnny's

OH MY GOD! THEY'RE NOT EVEN HUMAN!
>>
File: tumblr_njcrvrb1oz1r1cd1go1_1280.jpg (770KB, 1280x1519px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_njcrvrb1oz1r1cd1go1_1280.jpg
770KB, 1280x1519px
>>14711247
He also loves Phantasy Star Online and even did some designs for it. IIRC, Gothicmade was originally announced as being a completely new work with no relation to FSS.
>>
File: lartofflel.png (239KB, 606x456px) Image search: [Google]
lartofflel.png
239KB, 606x456px
>>14711956
>>14711961
>Western media and especially journalists are scummy social engineers*
>>
Has Takahashi ever commented on how Vietnam influenced the Kummen arc?
>>
>>14711677
Getter Robo’s use of Getter rays are all over the place though, in the manga and anime. That’s intentional admittedly and finding good pilots is not the same thing as Chirico being basically indestructible though.

Real robots aren’t wish fulfilment a lot of the time as they are simply vehicles, just something the characters use. This is why the characterisation is so important on a real robot show or manga, as they are what people identify with (and by extension the mecha they use). I mean there’s very little difference in terms of the standard Zaku II design and Char’s Zaku II S, yet the latter is a lot more popular because people identify with the character to a greater degree.

All real robot designs are functional in some way, coloring is a moot point because often within the context of the narrative, camouflage is not something that overtly matters.

The daft aspects to Dancouga don’t make it super, the fact it breaks its own rules does.

There are also plenty of major properties that Bandai has access to and they don’t make action based super robot games. There’s a fundamentally good reason for that in terms of game design and why the Super Robot Wars games restrict a mecha’s functionality to a battle cinematic.

>>14711678
The entire interview is about his designwork. That’s the context of the whole piece and the final comment is in line with that. While Mitsuteru Yokoyama created Tetsujin 28-go, the way in which those types of mecha were designed hasn’t endured. What mecha is today wouldn’t exist without Okawara, that’s entirely obvious.
>>
>>14711731
I find Gundam Wing tedious and I am no fan of Robotech. I watch, read and play pretty much everything mecha related. Have done so for years.

>>14711682
That was the original Energer Z design that had a motorbike ride up the back, rather than the pilder. Anyway, just having motorbike controls doesn’t translate to the mecha operating like a motorbike or even a vehicle. You can still have a disconnect there.

>>14711696
Yep, I have and but the usage of Getter rays isn’t consistent but that’s obviously intentional. That’s part of the narrative point, as they are meant to be somewhat mysterious. Breaking rules is not a bad thing, I actually like that in super robot anime and manga. It’s a nightmare for gaming though.

>>14711825
The characters in Giant Gorg were at least warm and human and it’s something the original Mobile Suit Gundam had in spades. The Captain in Gorg was actually a very simple and venal character though and intentionally made to be dislikable once he’s revealed for what he is. Yuu on the other hand is the moral fulcrum and I liked how that interacted with Manon. Rod and Lady Links turned out to be a lot more interesting too, as they weren’t just plain villains. On the whole Yas is really good at this kind of thing and it’s nice to see it back in manga and anime like The Origin.

Anyway, just to clarify yet again - I didn’t post this link to the interview (as I don’t post anon). I also don’t shill, as I don’t see the point. The few times I occasionally post here I do so because people seem interested in the articles I’ve done and want to know more.

If making out that I am somehow ignorant about mecha makes you feel better, then that’s your prerogative. I don’t care as I still enjoy watching, reading and playing everything mecha related.
>>
>>14713507

Don't take the bait.
>>
>>14713507
>tripfagging
wew lad
>>
File: 1459576471629.jpg (53KB, 495x495px) Image search: [Google]
1459576471629.jpg
53KB, 495x495px
>Shitting on a guy giving us good /m/ related content
>>
>>14710769
That is 100% true, though. Especially where it concerns the Origin manga.
>>
>>14713507
Thanks for doing these interviews, it's great to get easily accessible info from the creators about this stuff, especially for the older material.
>>
>>14713504
>Getter Robo’s use of Getter rays are all over the place though, in the manga
No.

>finding good pilots is not the same thing as Chirico being basically indestructible though.
Nice goal post movement. Very tactical.

>Real robots aren’t wish fulfilment a lot of the time as they are simply vehicles, just something the characters use
Are you implying super robots are any different?

>This is why the characterisation is so important on a real robot show or manga
Are you implying super robots are any different?

>All real robot designs are functional in some way
Yeah Death Scythe is totally a functional design.

>The daft aspects to Dancouga don’t make it super, the fact it breaks its own rules does.
So now you're defining super as robots that their own rules?

>There are also plenty of major properties that Bandai has access to and they don’t
Because nothing sells more than Gundam in terms of mecha.

>the final comment is in line with that
The final comment is ridiculous and plain false no matter what context. Okawara didn't invent mecha.

>What mecha is today wouldn’t exist without Okawara, that’s entirely obvious.
Except you didn't say that. You said Okawara created mecha. You can't substitute the line I'm arguing against with an entirely different statement. That's dumb.

>>14713507
>Yep, I have
Obviously you haven't. Feel free to prove your point with facts.

>If making out that I am somehow ignorant about mecha makes you feel better, then that’s your prerogative. I don’t care as I still enjoy watching, reading and playing everything mecha related.
Stop trying to act like a boo hoo victim. The fact is simple - you talk about things you don't have any idea about and your write things that are ridiculous and false. The actual interview portions of your articles are good because it's various creators giving their opinion. But as soon as you switch over to your own "insight" the article just becomes highly skewed misinformation.
>>
>>14713716
What the fuck is wrong with you
>>
>>14713787
insightful comment hmm really makes you think
>>
>>14713608
>That is 100% true, though
Found the retard
>>
>>14710769
Yeah, anything involving his opinion is trash. I mean, who actually believes this kind of baseless drivel? This guy is so caught up in his own fantasies he lost reality.
>>
>>14713716
Chirico’s indestructibility is something that emphasises the everyday nature of the mecha he pilots. That’s not goal post movement, just the basic point.

Super robots aren’t basic vehicles for the characters, they are a lot more than that. They often have their own will after all. If anything, super robots are as much of a character when compared to the pilots themselves. Real robots are just a functional backdrop, something that Takahashi also made a big point of.

Characterisation is obviously important in a super robot anime or manga but the emphasis is split more. In real robot works, the mecha take a back seat.

The Death Scycthe, bar some styling, is indeed a functional design. Each of the weapons are telegraphed in their operation based on the design. You can see what they do.

On sales, it depends on what you are talking about. Kits, yes Gundam is a big seller. On toys, it really depends as older super robots like Mazinger Z often do better. When it comes to games though, most developers and publishers still focus on the real robot side of things as it translates better into gaming due to the more consistent rulesets and limitations.
>>
>>14713716
The final line of that Okawara piece says “as without him we wouldn’t really have mecha in the first place.” That doesn’t mean he created mecha outright but that mecha in a current design sense wouldn’t exist without him. The whole article is about his designs and ultimately how they’ve gone on to shape modern mecha designs across the world. Not to mention that he is the first credited mecha designer, something he makes an understandably big point about. It’s about his designs and the context of that.

As for reading the Getter Robo manga, well I’ve read it. My copies, like a lot of my manga, are still back in the UK so I can’t send photos but I have it.

Finally, you don’t know how these articles are written, nor how I work the discussion into the responses. These articles are as much me as the people I interview, they have to be otherwise they would be disingenuous. If you see a disconnect then that’s entirely on your part and probably rather wilful with it. Again, these people wouldn’t even talk to me if they felt I didn’t know anything about their work. It’s just that simple.
>>
>>14713963
You said
>Whereas in VOTOMS, it’s shown that the real potent aspect to the mecha is Chirico himself, as the Scopedog is a factory built machine and entirely unremarkable.
That mentions nothing about Chirico being unkillable. It states that the shows focuses on the pilot being specia. Getter Robo also does this. Do not attempt to move the post.

>Super robots aren’t basic vehicles for the characters
Many of them are as basic as your average Gundam. In fact, that's the point of series like Tetsujin and Mazinger. They emphasized that these robots were just tools and could be used for good or evil depending on who controlled them.

>Real robots are just a functional backdrop
In what way that isn't also commonly depicted by super robot series?

>In real robot works, the mecha take a back seat.
But that's false. In fact, it's the opposite. Real robot works focus on introducing many robots and fictional pieces of technology, taking up tons of narrative time making up explanations for them. Super robot series tend to put the characters and narrative at the forefront, with the mecha serving as a (metaphorical) vehicle for the characters. Either way you look at it, you're wrong.

>The Death Scycthe, bar some styling, is indeed a functional design
Delusion can only go so far.

>Each of the weapons are telegraphed in their operation based on the design. You can see what they do.
Wow, so revolutionary. It's not like I could tell Dancougar's cannons were for shooting or that Tetsujin's rocket packs were for flying. Real robots sure are revolutionary.

>On sales, it depends on what you are talking about.
The entire IP, obviously. Are you daft?

>>14713967
>The final line of that Okawara piece says “as without him we wouldn’t really have mecha in the first place.”
>That doesn’t mean he created mecha outright
Yes, that's exactly what that means. That is literally what that combination of words means. Your supposed intent does not match what was written.
>>
>>14713967
>As for reading the Getter Robo manga, well I’ve read it
Then back up your claims instead of just making vague criticisms.

>Finally, you don’t know how these articles are written
Irrelevant. All I have to see is that you've filled a web page with half assed opinions presented as fact.

>These articles are as much me as the people I interview
I suggest you chop out your portion. It doesn't enhance it.

>they have to be otherwise they would be disingenuous
Nah, if you took out your portions they would be good and actually genuine.

>If you see a disconnect then that’s entirely on your part
No, I see bad reporting and research on your part. This isn't based on opinion, but on fact.

>Again, these people wouldn’t even talk to me if they felt I didn’t know anything about their work. It’s just that simple.
You keep trying to use this as a justification, but they would talk to any press who is able to and cares enough to meet them.
And besides, this is incredibly flawed because even if you could claim to know anything about the people you interview, that doesn't give you a free pass to write bullshit about things unrelated to that. Just because you know who Okawara is and asked him some questions doesn't mean you can suddenly make sweeping statements about super robot mecha. That is an actual dumb thought, no exaggeration.
>>
>>14713987
>>14713987
Chirico is potent in the sense he is unkillable. That’s one of the main parts to VOTOMS’ narrative.

Gundam is not a great example as it bridges both real and super, as it was the first to do so. However, Tetsujin and Mazinger are made out to be special in the narrative in a way that something like the Scopedog or GM really aren’t.

The super robots are also the main focus of attention in whatever work they are in. The reason you have so many variants in real robot shows is because they are entirely factory made and disposable. The technological explanations are also present to give tension, as it limits what the characters can do.

The entire IP of Gundam is indeed very successful but I was talking about games and why real robots are more readily usable compared to super robots.

That final line makes sense in the context of that article, if you want to take it out of context then you can do that but that’s not what the line says. Bear in mind Okawara was fine with it too, so there’s that to think about.
>>
>>14714010
>I was talking about games and why real robots are more readily usable compared to super robots.
Because people think they look cool?

The entire IP of Gundam is successful because it got milked to death.

Gundam is an anime franchise, Tetsujin 28 and Mazinger are manga franchises.

Okawara is a mecha designer. Go Nagai and Yokoyama are storytellers.

Understand these differences. No one wants to ape Tetsujin 28 otherwise you'll get sued by the Yokoyama estate.
>>
>>14714010
>Chirico is potent in the sense he is unkillable. That’s one of the main parts to VOTOMS’ narrative.
Look, either you have a problem saying what you mean or you just constantly backpedal. Either way, you need to shape and write what you mean the first time.

>Gundam is not a great example as it bridges both real and super
No it doesn't. Gundam is as real robot as it gets.

>However, Tetsujin and Mazinger are made out to be special in the narrative in a way that something like the Scopedog or GM really aren’t.
There you go talking about things you don't know again. Tetsujin is not. Tetsujin is the 28th of a type of robot. Mazinger is as special as the Rx-78. Even Chirico gets special robots like the Rabidly Dog.

>The super robots are also the main focus of attention in whatever work they are in
Just like every mecha series.

>The reason you have so many variants in real robot shows is because they are entirely factory made and disposable.
That has nothing to do with what I said, though.

>The entire IP of Gundam is indeed very successful
Which is why it gets games.

>That final line makes sense in the context of that article
I read the article and that's where I read the line. The line does not make sense in any context because the line literally says that Okawa created mecha. This is basic English. If you had added a "as we know it" somewhere in there then your line would make sense in context. But you didn't and it doesn't.
>>
>>14713999
Okay, I am not making criticism at all here. I am simply stating the differences between real and super robots. As laid out I should add by the people who have designed them and worked on various anime to that effect. I like Getter Robo, what makes you think I don’t?

Each of the interviews are compressed from very long discussions, so I can’t just chop my stuff out of it. The fact you can’t pick out what’s mine is also telling.

You use the word “fact” a lot and I don’t see you backing anything up. If you really are the expert you think you are, prove it. At least I’ve gone out and sourced interviews with these people and tried to promote their work. I don’t see you doing anything constructive here.

I am not making sweeping statements about mecha and I am simply reporting back what many people who work in mecha related works think and have said. If that disagrees with your world view, then I am not sure I can really help you with that. The articles are also checked prior to publication, to avoid misquoting, and not one of them has ever had any issues. So maybe you need to do your research?
>>
>>14714021
>Okay, I am not making criticism at all here.
Then back up your statements about how the manga is inconsistent. Stop trying to deflect it into something else.

>The fact you can’t pick out what’s mine is also telling.
What? I never said nor implied that. The fact that you have had so much trouble with reading comprehension and writing what you actually mean is very, very telling.

>You use the word “fact” a lot and I don’t see you backing anything up.
I've given plenty of examples, but mostly any reference I made to facts was commenting on how you love present your opinions as them.

>At least I’ve gone out and sourced interviews with these people and tried to promote their work.
Stop trying to defend yourself with epeen. We're not talking about who has gone out and done the most interviews. We're talking about the gross misinformation laced into your articles. I don't care how many interviews you've done, something baseless is baseless.

>I am not making sweeping statements about mecha
Anyone who has read this thread can see otherwise.
>The articles are also checked prior to publication, to avoid misquoting, and not one of them has ever had any issues.
But it has nothing to do with quotes from people you've interviewed. It has everything to do with your statements. It's incredibly pathetic how you're just trying to shield yourself with the whole interviewer bit after I've spent this entire thread ripping down your bullshit.
>>
>>14714021
>I am not making sweeping statements about mecha and I am simply reporting back what many people who work in mecha related works think and have said
Who said that real robots are chosen for games because they follow a set of hard rules?

My experience with coding games is rather limited, but I'm pretty sure they have many physics libraries which brings their models and characters to the ground.

Gundam, Mazinger and Tetsujin 28th are all walking mechs. What's the difference?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHr2IeOCPBk
>>
>>14714016
No, it’s because real robots work within a ruleset.

>>14714020
I did write what I meant the first time. Not sure what you mean here really.

By the designer’s own admission, the original Gundam was pulled back from being full on hard sci-fi (or real) and that’s why he added a face and other super robot like elements. It’s in the interview!

Tetsujin is indeed the 28th mecha but in the series and manga it is made out to be special. I’d agree that the Mazinger and RX-78 are similarly special, except the Mazinger is a lot more powerful, whereas the Gundam is considerably more fragile and limited in what it can do. As for the Rabidly Dog, yes Chirico gets a custom unit at the end of the series, but the bulk of the mecha up to that point are mass produced and throwaway.

Gundam gets games because it is popular and it’s easier to make into an action game because the rules are more coherent.

On the final line thing, again, you are the only one to point this out and even my editors and the guy who was interviewed had no problem with it. Not sure what else to say except that really.
>>
>>14714021
>I am not making sweeping statements about mecha

wat

>For super robots, the design can be anything as there are practically no rules to govern its operation. Whereas real robots, it’s more about form follows function.

>Without Okawara, the Western concept of what mecha are wouldn’t exist

>Super robots eschew rules to look cool

>Most super robot series have a vague set of rules that are quickly superseded via often magical means.

>The designs of super robots also don't imply their basic functionality.

>It’s why we tend to lack a lot of action oriented super robot games, as they aren’t bound by rules

>Super robot shows for the most part break the rules they set out all the time

>Most super robot design also doesn’t imply functionality, they just look cool. Some of the later era types are better at this but they are closer to super real robots than full on super robots.

>Real robots are built on limitations, that’s what makes their anime tense.

>Getter Robo uses Getter Rays as a get out pretty much all the time, without much in the way of narrative build up or exposition.

>Super robot anime on the whole it’s just that the mecha are wish fulfilment.

>Real robots aren’t wish fulfilment. This is why the characterisation is so important on a real robot show or manga

>He designed them as vehicles based around an abstract ruleset, even Go Nagai didn’t do that.

>All real robot designs are functional in some way

>The daft aspects to Dancouga don’t make it super, the fact it breaks its own rules does.
>>
>>14714039
Ah the great Sandlot Tetsujin 28-go game. Like with Gigantic Drive though, they had to dial back a lot of what the mecha could do in those games. Much like with the supers in the Another Century’s Episode games in fact.

It’s also not so much a coding or physics aspect that’s the issue with supers, more design. Having something that is pretty much omnipotent and indestructible means you can never really lose. So in action games they always have to tone that down.

>>14714036
I didn’t say the manga is inconsistent but that the usage of Getter rays are portrayed as something almost magical. I don’t mind that and don’t think it is wrong or stupid, that’s just what it is.

I also have no epeen, I really don’t care about that. You are the only one that seems to be getting worked up here and I am really not sure why. Do you want me to stop interviewing these people? Is that it?

If you think the articles are laced with gross misinformation then please list the errors. I will then run it by the respective parties involved in each article to see if they concur.
>>
>>14714053
That's just discussion though and responding to other people's points. Surely their comments would be as "sweeping"?

Anyway, I only posted here as I saw someone linked the article I did. Apologies if that annoyed anyone. I won't be posting again. Thanks.
>>
>>14714040
>I did write what I meant the first time
You wrote
But said you meant
>Chirico’s indestructibility is something that emphasises the everyday nature of the mecha he pilots. That’s not goal post movement, just the basic point.
Which is not equivalent whatsoever.

>Tetsujin is indeed the 28th mecha but in the series and manga it is made out to be special.
In what way.

>I’d agree that the Mazinger and RX-78 are similarly special, except the Mazinger is a lot more powerful, whereas the Gundam is considerably more fragile and limited in what it can do.
Are you kidding? Gundam is faster than Mazinger, jumps higher and has more powerful weaponry. Mazinger never blew up battleship after battleship like Amuro + Gundam did.

>As for the Rabidly Dog, yes Chirico gets a custom unit at the end of the series, but the bulk of the mecha up to that point are mass produced and throwaway.
You can say BUT BUT all you want, fact is that even Chirico gets special robots (and so does many of Chirico's allies and enemies throughout the series).

>Gundam gets games because it is popular
Yes.
>and it’s easier to make into an action game because the rules are more coherent.
No, this is just your baseless opinion.

>On the final line thing, again, you are the only one to point this out and even my editors and the guy who was interviewed had no problem with it. Not sure what else to say except that really.
They don't fact check your opinions about super vs real. They check the interview for quote accuracy. I'm pointing where you're wrong and giving you direct counterexamples. You cannot hide behind your credentials in the face of lacking a factual rebuttal to the exposure of your outlandish claims.
>>
>>14714054
>I didn’t say the manga is inconsistent
Let's see
>Getter Robo uses Getter Rays as a get out pretty much all the time, without much in the way of narrative build up or exposition.

Let's check again
>Have you read Ken Ishikawa's Getter Robo Saga manga series? Because it does sound to me that you haven't.
>Yep, I have and but the usage of Getter rays isn’t consistent

There you go again making false statements and backpedaling on things you've said.

>You are the only one that seems to be getting worked up here and I am really not sure why.
A u mad tier response. You're doing great, lad.

>If you think the articles are laced with gross misinformation then please list the errors.
I've been doing it ITT. Why are you saying this now?

>>14714065
>That's just discussion though and responding to other people's points.
So? We're talking about your statements.

>Apologies if that annoyed anyone. I won't be posting again. Thanks.
Hopefully you'll also refrain from making sweeping statements about subjects you are ignorant of. k thx bai.
>>
>>14714054
>they had to dial back a lot of what the mecha could do in those games
Such as what? You never give examples. What can Tetsujin 28th do that Gundam cannot?

>more design
What's hard about Mazinger's design as opposed to Gundam's? In fact, the later Gundams are lot more detailed than the original Mazinger.

>Having something that is pretty much omnipotent and indestructible means you can never really lose
Are you kidding? Since when was Mazinger omnipotent and indestructible? Mazinger had trouble throughout the series and it even got damaged. Really, what the hell are you talking about?
>>
>>14713584
we've been meaning to give this guy his due especially after he spouted his non-factual /m/ opinions in his forbes articles.

I don't know if he'll ever answer for his claims with specific examples or he's just going to tap dance around them.
>>
I want to fucking kill the autist that ruined this thread
If i wanted bto scroll through endless greentext nitpicking id be on /v/
WHERE are the MODS?
sorry you had to deal with that lame shit OP
>>
>>14714190
Stop using the word "we" you pieve ofnshit spic motherfucker
Scrolling through all your stupid bullshit has literally given me a headache
>>
>>14714233
>>14714236
>spouts non factual shit
>call for mods when your positions get attacked
You guys are faggots. You shouldn't be defending writers like this guy. He can answer for himself.
>>
also, his only defense was that he must know shit because he talked to people in the industry, even though his non factual statements have nothing to do with the interviews.
>>
>>14710736
You could interview Syd Mead and ask him about how working on fundamental was, and then interview him about all the other stuff
>>
>>14714065
Goddammit, you faggots chased him away with your autism
>>
>>14714054
>It’s also not so much a coding or physics aspect that’s the issue with supers, more design. Having something that is pretty much omnipotent and indestructible means you can never really lose.

wow realfag delusion is strong
it is hilarious that he thinks his statements aren't total bullshit
>>
>>14714476

I can agree. In regards to the usage for the usage for "Super Robot" and "Real Robot," the usage on how we use said terms does have its relevance. How else will you differentiate robots built as tall as skyscrapers to fight giant monsters from robots built as military vehicles. I blame studios being put on a leash by toy makers.

I agree, we had Mr. Barder here, and you lot just blew it. We never had people who write up articles like these here in 4chan.
>>
>>14714609
Who gives a shit?

Bad journalism is even worse than no journalism.
>>
>>14714612
>journalism.
>nerd talks to old man who discusses how the toy commercial he made was inspired by pro wrestling
>journalism
>>
>>14714648
So in short, it's just trash.
>>
>>14714658
Haha, nice, dude
>>
The interviews are good. What's bad are his own comments.
>>
File: CNN.png (246KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
CNN.png
246KB, 640x480px
I kinda agree with the anon sperging.
There were some suspicious claim from the author in this thread.
He kept the conversation alive so it was all fair game. If he wanted the other guy to fuck off he could've just ignored him.
In the end it doesn'st matter, this thread is gonna die.
I hope we'll get more interviews because everyone agree that the quoted part are excellent.
>>
For the last time, for anyone who doesn't get it already

Real robot = robot soldier
Super robot = robot hero

It has nothing to do with power levels or logic.
>>
Interesting interview, and I liked the Okawara one.

I have more of an appreciation for Okawara now; it's also interesting that one of his favorite projects to work on was Votoms.
>>
>>14711435
>by essentially copying every Tomino did and making it more stupid?
To add to that, Gundam in general is just Tomino copying everything Heinlein did and making it more stupid.
>>
File: realfag superfag BTFO.jpg (154KB, 600x910px) Image search: [Google]
realfag superfag BTFO.jpg
154KB, 600x910px
>>14714814
>pic related.
>>
>>14714476
I only questioned his poorly formed arguments.

He's hired by Forbes to write these kind of articles. When writers go unchallenged, they self validate themselves with their own bullshit.

In our case, since mecha is such a niche topic, he can say bullshit and get away with it. Of course Forbes will approve. It's not like people who worship billionaires would know anything about Chinese giant robot cartoons.

His entire argument was that he's right, because his article was approved, and that the people he interviewed were willing to let them be interviewed. Literally non arguments.
>>
This thread was gold anons
>>
>>14715066
thank god your truthy justice was here or else we'd all die
>>
>>14715110
Fucking a whole thread over Super vs Real argument?
I really miss when redtext extension were handed more lavishly
>>
>>14715110
He wasn't me. I'm the autist that battled the Forbes guy.

>>14715139
Honestly, I didn't even start it about super vs real. I said he was crazy for stating in his article that we wouldn't have mecha without Okawara. He started mumbling some stuff about how Okawara invented real and how everything before gundam was essentially nonsensical with no consistent narrative etc etc etc. I just can't believe this guy is putting his opinions into articles. Just stick to the interviews please.
>>
>>14715110
>>14715139
No one fucked up anything. I asked him a few questions and the other guy hammered him a lot more.

He couldn't answer them, and was doing a tap dance. I'm sorry Pedro. I'm not going to suck anyone's dick just because they wrote an article about Takahashi.
>>
>>14715170
>>14715173
thanks it really helped everybody
>>
>>14715178
Of course.

Then you wouldn't get retarded arguments about how GGG reconstructed the super robot genre after Eva.
>>
>Another thread derailed due to real vs super chimpouts

I now believe autism exists.
>>
>>14715186
It wasn't even about super vs real.

The writer was literally saying that Okawara invented mecha.
>>
>>14715186
Why would you condone false statements? On /m/?
>>
>>14715191
>implying Okawara didn't
>>
>>14715197
yes, and I'm Steve
>>
Currently watching the film version of The Longest Day, and other than the beaching landing sequences, which I'm not there yet, forgive me, but I've noticed that early in the film, the dramatis personae had their names shown on-screen. Would Takahashi have gotten that idea from the film for implementation in Dougram and VOTOMS Last Red Shoulder?
>>
File: votoms1.webm (3MB, 719x480px) Image search: [Google]
votoms1.webm
3MB, 719x480px
That interview was awesome. I liked Dougram. Votoms not so much -- but I do adore roller dash.
>>
File: god damn.png (43KB, 250x269px) Image search: [Google]
god damn.png
43KB, 250x269px
>The roller dash was to make the mecha faster but what I was really concerned about was that adding wheels under the feet would make the mecha look like a childish toy. In my childhood, the tin toys I had always had wheels underneath. So maybe adding wheels would make it feel like one of those toys. To solve that I decided to have a good sound effect, so something realistic and almost violent sounding might fix the problem.
>>
File: right-basilisk-1.gif (71KB, 344x600px) Image search: [Google]
right-basilisk-1.gif
71KB, 344x600px
>>14717979
>You can pinpoint the exact moment makers of Heavy Gear realized why their setting is doing so badly and is solely known through those two video games Activision produced once they lost the Mechwarrior license.
>>
>>14717988
I mean, it's so SIMPLE. And obvious! And entirely GAME-CHANGING!

A simple "VweeEEEEEE" sound effect. Holy hell.
>>
Geez guys, you could use some maybe logic and that goes both for the interview guy and the truth seeker guy.
>>
>>14718057
>the truth seeker guy.
That's way more badass than it actually is
>>
>>14718063
not even justice I want to get tism
>>
Someone post the dougram FREEDOM AIN'T FREE edit
>>
>>14711603
If you ever get him on a good day and ask about Gasaraki, ask him about where he got the ideas for the second half of the show from.

I figured it was based on then recent times, I dug up some interesting articles from the 90's about rice hoarding in the middle of that decade and stuff that paints an interesting picture about the grain economy and how IRL things went comparatively sunshine and rainbows with foreign rice filling the void as best it could (not that Japan really wanted gaijin rice if it could help it), but I would love to hear it from the man himself.

I mean normally I give little fucks about geopolitics in the real world but the second half of Gasaraki got me real interested in the Asian rice economy.
>>
>>14718526
Food economies comes up in Dougram, too
>>
>>14718526
There's an entire arc of Oishinbo with people panicking over Australian and Californian rice imports and the degraded quality of Japanese rice. Oishinbo is a very thoroughly researched manga, although for what it's worth it can also get a bit overly nationalistic at times.
>>
>>14718526
Takahashi is a nationalist, so that much is expected.

Still, independence agriculture should be desirable for every nation.
>>
File: dougram spurde.jpg (105KB, 814x544px) Image search: [Google]
dougram spurde.jpg
105KB, 814x544px
>>14718172
>>
>>14715173
Fuck off you autistic shitposting faggot. Find something else to sperg out about. Like cancer.
>>
>>14719127
He's not shitposting.

He's contending a point and does a good job at it.

This board and its ass kisser attitude, man.
>>
>>14719159
He's braying "NO YOU'RE WRONG!" Like an autistic jackass and calling someone who visited 4chan to talk about Ryosuke Takahashi and Kunio Okawara a pleb. Telling you both to fuck off and die isn't ass kissing, its a survival instinct for good thteads on this board.
>>
>>14719333
Except the guy was asking simple ass questions and said pleb can't even counter his points.

>Telling you both to fuck off and die isn't ass kissing, its a survival instinct for good thteads on this board.
So far said pleb has proven he knows jackshit about what he talks about. You are just asskissing him because he talked with some japs.
>>
>>14719344
You aren't worth the time it would take to go through the thread and dissect all of the ways you're wrong, and your definition of pleb seems to be based on such tenuous grounds as, "disagrees with me on the minutia of the definition of some bullshit." People like you who miss the forest for the trees are literal cancer, so, for the third time, Fuck off and die, this place will profit on the loss of your malignancy.
>>
>>14719398
>You aren't worth the time it would take to go through the thread and dissect all of the ways you're wrong
So you aren't even arguing.
> and your definition of pleb seems to be based on such tenuous grounds as, "disagrees with me on the minutia of the definition of some bullshit.
My definition of pleb is nigger who don't know what they are talking about, which is the pleb in this thread, when asked to answer simple questions.
>Fuck off and die, this place will profit on the loss of your malignancy.
How about no, go back to your safe space, because /m/ ain't one.
>>
>>14719127
>>14719333
>>14719398
>disagrees with me on the minutia of the definition of some bullshit
Hahaha now that's some hardcore dick sucking.

I asked this fucking pleb of a writer a few basic questions, and he tapped dance around all of them.

You want good threads? Me too. What I don't want are shitty threads where plebs like Cacophonus make nonsense claims without even backing them up.

Fuck you and your dick sucking.
Thread posts: 249
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.