[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk about Foundation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 8

File: foundation_covers.jpg (371KB, 1248x662px) Image search: [Google]
foundation_covers.jpg
371KB, 1248x662px
And Asimov's work in general, please.

I've been rereading Foundation and Earth and I thought of something. It is possible that aliens do not exist in the Milky Way because the robots genocided them while the second wave of space colonization started? After all, neither the first nor the zeroth law of robotics do not apply to alien lifeforms. That would explain why the only sentient animals in the Milky Way are the humans and the solarians, who were like humans during the second wave of space colonization.

And another thing. If the reasoning behind Galaxia was the threat of an extragalaxial invasion, why nobody thinks of just building a robotic army with the three laws programmed, but able to kill aliens with ease? It seems a lot more simple than the whole Gaia thing, and not as creepy.
>>
>>14708563
>I've been rereading Foundation and Earth
>rereading Flash Bazbo's Sexy Space Adventures of Sex (guest starring Foundation and Robots)
wat
>>
>>14708563
I've only got hallway through Foundation and Empire. I should probably finish the series before I visit threads like this.
>>
>>14708643
Seeing what happened with the spacers' worlds is cool, tho.
>>
>>14708563
>It is possible that aliens do not exist in the Milky Way because the robots genocided them while the second wave of space colonization started?

...so in this future, the Germans rather than the Americans built the robots?
>>
Is the Empire trilogy good? I only ever see mention of the Robots and Foundation series.
>>
>>14708884
It is good, just not as great as Foundation or Caves of Steel.
>>
>>14708563
Someone post that snipit of Rebellion of Zeon being put down in past history of the Empire in Foundation Trilogy.
>>
>>14708563
Arkady is my waifu.
>>
>>14708563
>tfw you want to edit these covers to feature Aeolia, Ribbons and ELS-tan but you can't draw for shit
Have the writers of 00 ever confirmed that it was influenced by the Foundation?
>>
File: zeon foundation.png (15KB, 517x199px) Image search: [Google]
zeon foundation.png
15KB, 517x199px
>>14709055
>>
>>14710060
Was the Terraist cult in LoGH influenced by the Earthlings in Pebble in the Sky?
>>
>>14710060
Aeolia was a huge Hari Seldon, for sure
>>
File: Norby Cover.jpg (20KB, 254x378px) Image search: [Google]
Norby Cover.jpg
20KB, 254x378px
>>14708563
>tfw Norby the Mixed-Up Robot will never be made into a movie series
>>
>>14710060
Was SU-Cordism Tomino's thoughts on The Mayor's chapter of the first book?
>>
I name myself Arkady in like the majority of games that let me play a gril

That is my contribution to this thread
>>
File: the spice.jpg (234KB, 640x1440px) Image search: [Google]
the spice.jpg
234KB, 640x1440px
Are the other Foundation books good? I mean, it's Asimov, but I was very satisfied with the original three books. Do they do anything more than flesh out the rest of the setting?

>>14708645
Foundation and Empire gets really fucking good in the latter half. Good enough that it slingshotted me into finishing Second Foundation two days later.
>>
File: ozh0bbvepctrg0c2dulb.jpg (505KB, 1000x557px) Image search: [Google]
ozh0bbvepctrg0c2dulb.jpg
505KB, 1000x557px
>>14710772
They are pretty meh compared to the original trilogy, only bother reading them if you have read before the Robot series or you won't really understand what's happening.

>>14710070
I never thought of that, but it's possible. Asimov's earthlings are way more crazy tho.

>>14708645
You have not read the second half of Foundation and Empire? You should, it's the best part of the book, and the third book is the best by far. Shit hits the fan in there, man.
>>
>>14708563

Could be there were no sapient aliens to begin with.

>http://arxiv.org/pdf/0907.3432.pdf

People tend to generalize from the sole example of Earth. They look out at the hundreds of billions of stars in the Milky Way and say "It HAS to have happened somewhere else too!". Trouble is, we have no idea what the odds are for life developing, and even less for sapient intelligence emerging. People in favour of abundant sapient life tend to start flapping their arms and huffing that it's "arrogance" and "humanocentric" when you disagree with them, but I don't think it's clear-cut at all. The arguments for rare sapience are compelling, and for me the jury is still out.
>>
>>14710772

I wasn't a fan of Foundation & Empire. Mostly because I disliked The Mule as an antagonist, but also because I didn't like the shift away from the vignette format of the original Foundation.

I loved that Foundation had loads of characters who each had a chapter or two and them it moved on. It gave a great feeling of the passage of time and how people influenced events. The second book really just concentrated on one set of people and it just wasn't as interesting to me.

I hated how perfect The Mule was as well though, and I think the final page or two typifies that - because his plans have just been destroyed and he can never get total domination like he wants, but he just shrugs, slides it off and calmly accepts it. And it's a boring reaction. Even in defeat he made no real effort or emotion. I've yet to read Second Foundation because the second lost me. I'll probably read it at some point, but I feel no compelling desire to do so.

>>14711279

I think life is too persistent and wide spread here on Earth and the universe too big with literally billions, if not trillions of chances just sticking to the observable universe alone for there to be no other examples of life around. Even if it's not sentient.

What I think a lot of people dismiss too is the idea we might be the first to come along. Some species or planet has to be. could be us. And if not the first to come along we might be the first sapient species. Or one looking out in to the universe.

Even if we're not it's our duty to act like we are, at least until another is found, because even if we're not, if we can't confirm it we might as well be and the f we're wrong and wipe ourselves out or something then something unique, possibly eternally unique will be gone.
>>
>>14711492
>his plans have just been destroyed and he can never get total domination like he wants, but he just shrugs, slides it off and calmly accepts it.
I thought after the Second Foundation psychic overpowered him mentally, he commanded him to do just that. So the Mule didn't really have a choice.
>>
>>14711514
Yes, the First Speaker mindrapes the Mule into submission and makes him a benevolent dictator and makes him forget about the Second Foundation.
>>
>>14711514
>>14711807

I think you two may be thinking of something from Second Foundation, because that doesn't ring a bell to me at all. I'm talking about when he thinks he's about to find the location of the Second Foundation and Bayta kills the source, destroying his only possible avenue to locate it. Which happens in the final pages of Foundation and Empire - with The Mule just shrugging his shoulders and resigning himself to the loss despite his ability to control people, his explicit attraction to Bayta and her destruction of something he'd crossed the galaxy to find. I just readers an unrealistical acceptance because he should be more emotionally invested in it and thus more emotionally distraught at it's denial.
>>
>>14711835
yeah I thought they follow that up with, like, some sort of EXACTLY AS KEIKAKU punchline to indicate that Mule really got Foundationed
but it's been a while since I've read it
>>
>>14708563

Nope. Aliens don't exist in this series because... narrative necessities AND their existence wasn't proved in real life.
Anyway for knowing something about aliens from Asimov's point of view, he wrote something interesting in The Gods Themselves.

Actually Gaia isn't the THE choice, but PART OF the choice... the rest is up to people's will.
>>
>>>/lit/
>>
>>14711807
>first speaker
>prime palaverer
>preem palver
Pottery.
>>
>>14711259
I'm going through it. It's getting pretty tense, what with the Trade planets considering revolution and the possible annihilation of everything by the hands of The Mule. Not sure if I auto-spoiled, but I suspected the clown to be the Mule pretty early on and confirmed it after doing a search on a whim. Stupid Google. The guy was really suspicious and for the guards to have left him alone was pretty uncharacteristic of the Mule.

>>14710772
I'm really looking forward to The Second Foundation. It could be anything! It could even have developed into actual Space Wizardry like barbarians imagined the first foundation to be!
>>
>>14711861
If Kamen Raider and Star Wars are /m/, then the fucking father of robotics should be too.
>>
>>14712292
>It could be anything!
Honestly, Asimov caught me in like 5 different ruses throughout Second Foundation. Ruses within ruses even.
>>
>Foundation and Caves of Steel will never be OVA's
>>
>>14710351
>ywn see Norby's cute double opposable thumbs animated in full 3D
>>
>>14711259
>Really? Perhaps their ambitions were more harmful and extreme. I guess you're right. But from a visual, visceral standpoint, the Terraists seemed more deranged. The indoctrinated Terraists had no regard for their own lives, the series made them out to be slasher film monsters. Asimov's Earthlings had worse intentions, but they seemed more like overambitious, resentful humans than madmen.
>>
>>14708563
>I've been rereading Foundation and Earth and I thought of something. It is possible that aliens do not exist in the Milky Way because the robots genocided them while the second wave of space colonization started

That is essentially the thesis of the second foundation trilogy by the Three Bs. It's an interesting idea buried in a whole lot of shit including the idea of Chaos.
>>
>>14710060
It's not the writers I believe, but rather the director Mizushima himself. He has used western media for inspiration before with Concrete Revolutio (using Watchmen). The only time there was a known and clear case of the writer from one of his works taking influence was Expelled from Paradise.
>>
>>14711835
>>14711845

Just checked my copies. It's in Second Foundation at the end of the first part of the book, which is called "Search by the Mule."
>>
File: Sheppo.jpg (23KB, 636x358px) Image search: [Google]
Sheppo.jpg
23KB, 636x358px
>>14708563
>the robots genocided them
>>
Bump
I declare you not a /m/an if you haven't read some damn Asimov
>>
>>14710351
>>14713457
Has no one else read any Norby books?
>>
File: fondationmanga4.jpg (524KB, 2000x1422px) Image search: [Google]
fondationmanga4.jpg
524KB, 2000x1422px
What happened with the manga adaptation? Anyone has translated it into english?
>>
>>14717920
Thes Japanese adaptions of Asimov?? Holy shit where
>>
>>14711861
Oi, fuck off
There are more Asimov fans here
And besides, /tg/ has book threads all the fuckin time
>>
>>14721504
https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=104586
>>
>>14721512
It's been a while since I've been there, but didn't /lit/ think that SF and Fantasy were pleb ghetto genres? Regardless yeah, /m/ has book threads occasionally.

>>14717836
Loved them as a kid. My favorite was the book about the messed up family of the old guy who found alien parts of Norby, and fixed them up.
>>
>>14722729
/lit/ is all about masturbating to dead philosophers and thinkers while not actually reading their work or anything at all
>>
>>14722729
/lit/ has a science fantasy general up.
Pretty neat. Talked about the gundam novelisation with them once.
>>
I didn't care for the inclusion of the Second Foundation. The Mule was one thing, what with him being a genetic deviation, and thus a wild card of sorts. But the whole "shadowy group who actually controls things" soured me on wanting to continue the rest of the series.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.