[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does the new Voltron differ from the old?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8

File: netflix-voltron-design-pic.jpg (112KB, 757x505px) Image search: [Google]
netflix-voltron-design-pic.jpg
112KB, 757x505px
How does the new Voltron differ from the old?
>>
>>14703891
Alura went from a blonde haired blued eye white chick to a chocolate space elf and pilots the castle instead of the blue lion. Also Pidge is a grill.
>>
Old Voltron actually has Voltron.
>>
>>14703891
Older Voltron/Golion is more convoluted, new one has a more structured narrative. Golion is also far more violent but it's also more violent than old Voltron.

Also in the original Keith is the captain and while still red her pilots the black Lion, Shiro (I forget his 80s name) wore black but piloted blue and he also gets replaced(he dies on Golion like by episode 6 or something), and Lance was blue but piloted the red Lion. Like or hate the new series, at least here it makes sense that the pilots color fucking matches their lions.
>>
>>14703967
>Shiro (I forget his 80s name)

Shiro.
>>
>>14703980
He had a sub name didn't he? I don't think anyone kept their Japanese name when they adapted Voltron from Golion.
>>
>>14703995
Is the dub any good?
>>
>>14703995

Shirogane? he was Sven in voltron
>>
>>14703967
Basically this.
>>
>>14704021
I only loosely remember it, I saw it when I was a child. I asked in the 70s-80s thread if it or Golion are worth watching. They said Golion is a fun, surprisingly violent, and crazy show like most of that era of anime that if you enjoy that kind of thing it's an enjoyable watch.

Voltron heavily chops up Golion with parts from Dairugger(called vehicle Voltron when they brought the whole thing over even tho they weren't connected) as well as some originally commissioned animation. If you can enjoy cheesy 80s cartoons that are ultimately just villain of the day vs a Cobra Commander/Skeleton type villains army then you can check out Voltron and see if you like it.

Even tho I know it's impossible with how Voltron forms to deconnect on the fly, how cool would it be if in Defender of the Universe they shouted "Go lion!" and Voltron separates into the lions? (think open get in Getter Robo)
>>
>>14704050
Didn't he have a twin who replaced him in since they removed Shiros death in the dub?
>>
The new one has a contemporary design (glowing highlights, in other words) and the old one does not. Also, I'd say both Voltrons have spent almost equal amounts of screentime fighting separated, which is impressive considering that the new one has less episodes.
>>
>>14704082
In Golion, Shirogane dies and much later on his twin brother Ryou shows up.
In Voltron, Sven just gets "injured" and is shipped off (off-screen) to some "medical planet". Later on, when they use the Golion foootage of Ryou, they just say that it is Sven returned.
>>
File: time to form voltron.jpg (77KB, 1200x669px) Image search: [Google]
time to form voltron.jpg
77KB, 1200x669px
>>14703891
hot chocolate
>>
File: mihoshi_of_tenchi_muyo-14140.jpg (35KB, 640x436px) Image search: [Google]
mihoshi_of_tenchi_muyo-14140.jpg
35KB, 640x436px
>>14708436
Sis?
>>
>>14708473
>>14708436

Delicious Brown Elves
>>
>>14703891
Zarkon is strong enough to beat a lion on foot, so he's already more active than his lazier classic incarnation.
>>
>>14708518
The angle they are doing that Zarkon was the previous black paladin made him a lot more interesting.
>>
>>14703967
that whole deal where the pilot colors didn't match the lions they were piloting made no fucking sense to me
>>
>>14708722
It feels like they designed Golion and were like "well the leader has to pilot the head, but the leader has to be the red pilot, but you can't make the black pilot the leader.... Eh, fuck it"
>>
>>14703891
>How does the new Voltron differ from the old?
Diverse Castâ„¢
-Allura essentially an all new character with a radically different personality.
-Much more humor centric
-Pidge is now a girl, instead of a girly boy
-The lions are useful for combat when they aren't combined.
-There is no prince Lotar. (yet)
-Less episodic, more over reaching story
-As previously said, their pilot costumes now match their lion's colors.
-Keith isn't the leader
-Zarkon is emperor, not king. Also a badass who has ruled for thousands of years.
-Voltron itself is used sparingingly
-No blazing sword (yet)
-The Dynotherms are not connected. The infracells are down. Megathrusters are not go. (Shiro does do the "I'll form the head line" once though)
>>
>>14708795
>The Dynotherms are not connected. The infracells are down. Megathrusters are not go. (Shiro does do the "I'll form the head line" once though)
They better do this once in a while for truly hype fights that shit gets real.

My only gripe with new Voltron compared to old/Golion is that sometimes the humor is a bit too jokey or forced, though that was mainly in the first few episodes. I don't know if that's a throwback to the 80s cornball jokes of Voltron original or its the influence from the show runners who had a penchant for this kind of humor in Avatar: the Last Airbender and Korra: the Big Mistake.
>>
>>14708795
>The Dynotherms are not connected. The infracells are down. Megathrusters are not go
Allura and Coran said those lines during take-off.
>>
>>14708803
>My only gripe with new Voltron compared to old/Golion is that sometimes the humor is a bit too jokey or forced,
That's my problem too. Like you said in the later eps it flowed better. Hopefully it's more like that in the second season.
>>
>>14708808
Must have missed that part.
>>
>>14708811
I think it was a forced source of levity, since the paladins developed more of a rapport with each other the humor flows a lot better and feels more natural by the end of the season. Could do with a little less "LOL HUNK LIKE FOOD" stuff, but other than that the closing episodes were a lot better.

Alura's stupid psychic mice also piss me off and feel very unnecessary. But then again Allura is easily the worst member of the cast, so I guess they are trying to do something to make her into something since her old version was pretty bland and boring.
>>
>>14708811
I miss the music and some of the old Voltron poses. The new Blazing Sword while cool in battle just looks underwhelming compared to the original, too.
>>
>>14708436
Wow they managed to make a brown skinned character look ugly.
>>
>>14709084
So realistic!
>>
>>14703891
I watched this, I never saw any of the previous ones before.
>>
>>14709084
The shade of brown they use for Allura is real offputting when against her hair and the fucked up lighting never does it any favors.
>>
>>14709084
I will fucking cut you
>>
>>14713482
Alura is easily the worst character in the show.
>>
>>14713500
She's not the mice
>>
>>14713501
She's directly responsible for those stupid things and they are treated as an extension of her character. So yes she is, she's just the biggest rat of them all.
>>
File: 58843543_p0.jpg (2MB, 1648x3560px) Image search: [Google]
58843543_p0.jpg
2MB, 1648x3560px
>>14709099
>>14713482

I wasn't being sarcastic. I love brown anime girls but the hair and eye designs are awful. Those pointy bits on the side look shitty.
>>
>>14709084
>brown
That's the problem, she isn't delicious brown, she's black. Black characters are always ugly.
>>
>>14708803
>Korra: the Big Mistake
Hah, that's amusing.
>>
>>14718188
It was, it was a fucking trainwreck and the mecha they randomly threw in was retarded, nonsensical, and unneeded.
>>
File: 31._Pidge_scoring_food.png (2MB, 1792x1009px) Image search: [Google]
31._Pidge_scoring_food.png
2MB, 1792x1009px
>>14708795
>Pidge is now a girl, instead of a girly boy
its a boy i don't care what he says.
>>
>>14718204
Pidge was very clearly a girl from the beginning
>>
>>14718259
and?
>>
>>14718383
So deal with something that was obvious from the start
>>
>>14718204
An interesting take on the character. And hopefully, she'll be more interesting as well.

>>14718195
I don't care too much about it, really.
>>
File: FALA2_zps7dd85042.jpg (77KB, 754x300px) Image search: [Google]
FALA2_zps7dd85042.jpg
77KB, 754x300px
>>14708436
She definitely would have looked better if she looked like her original design instead if this bland new one.
>>
File: Jerid.jpg (87KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Jerid.jpg
87KB, 1440x1080px
>>14718610
it wasn't obvious to me
>>14719073
>An interesting take on the character
it bugs me when they change stuff like gender and nationality on preexisting characters from a franchise or novel. but since I have no real attachment to Voltron its not a big deal to me but it really doesn't matter in the long run. I find Paige to be my favorite character in the show so what gender she/he is is irrelevant.
>>
>>14719306
Blonde princess in a pink dress is less bland?
>>
>>14721997
I think that's the joke
>>
>>14719339
Is way better than the original, that was just 80's generic kid for self-inserting who is the cliché nerd/supergenius. And any other series before this one (Third Dimension, Voltron Force) doesn't do any better.

>what gender she/he is is irrelevant.
Pretty much this. Baby teens and adult-children (specially tumblr), believe that to make good characters you have to slam DIVERSITY(tm) in their faces and make hollow cardboard figures to fulfill their ego trips.
They forget to first make a good character, and add the rest later.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.