[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Importance of setting?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 8

File: The Five Star Stories - II - 079.jpg (477KB, 1092x1500px) Image search: [Google]
The Five Star Stories - II - 079.jpg
477KB, 1092x1500px
So, I'm trudging through Five Star Stories (which gets its name from how for every one story you read, there's four crammed into the footnotes, editor marks, prefaces and addendum), and while the central narrative is an almost surreal space opera with elaborate shoulder pads, the stories told in the background are an extensive network of minor characters who never appear as anything more than a short text blurb and possibly an image and who might have done nothing more than contribute towards a new design of an engine coolant system.

While it has many good points, the overwhelming feeling of "details for the sake of details" that dominates not only the mecha and character designs, but every aspect of the story, made me start looking rather scornfully at other settings where people try to hide mediocrity behind a wall of ultimately useless information.

Major transgressor, and even more guilty of using an overwhelming amount of superfluous details in its art? 40k, where artists are paid by the amount of skulls they can fit in each picture, and where the writers are trying to populate all 40,000 years of an entire galaxy despite everything you ever really need to know can be summarized with "...in the grim darkness of the far future there is only war."

But, we end up walking a pretty difficult line, deciding what details are necessary and what details make it clear that you don't know when to stop putting things in like augmented humans who can eat brains and absorb memories.

What is it that makes one setting detailed and rich, and another a bloated load of distracting elements that serve no purpose beyond overwhelming you and keeping you from seeing that the larger picture is just an inchoate mass of disjointed information?
>>
File: max1.jpg (86KB, 441x769px) Image search: [Google]
max1.jpg
86KB, 441x769px
Might as well ask here. What happens to this guy?
>>
I don't think there's any intentional obfuscation in either exsmple.

Nagano is building the world as fancy strikes, and FSS id just a medium to express that through, instead of the world existing as a stage for a story beyond what story we get from the history (past and future) of the setting.

With 40K people keep buying the books, so GW keeps having them written, resulting in an ever larger pile of shit made up as they went along.

For your question, it'll largely be down to how the author presents things.
>>
>>14701260
I think Maximum HOLTFORS got retconned out of existence before he ever made a full appearance

Maybe Nagano realized he'd picked the worst imaginable name.
>>
>>14701101
You don't understand 40k, and comparing it to FSS is bullshit.

You're talking as if the purpose of all those skulls and minor characters and planets in 40k was to make you understand the catchphrase of the game. It's the other way around: the catchphrase is there as the premise that will enable not only the artists and writers of Games Workshop, but also YOU to come up with all sorts of intricate backstories for your plastic dudes and to craft all kinds of baroque and gruesome miniatures and setpieces.
>>
>>14702906
Why do you think he was retconned?

Also, a lot of those pages like the one you posted come from art books/data books. They can be ignored.
>>
>>14702958
It's just a bullshit unsubstantiated rumor.

As far as I know he still hasn't made a real appearance in the manga though.
>>
File: 019.jpg (445KB, 940x1200px) Image search: [Google]
019.jpg
445KB, 940x1200px
>>14703138
>As far as I know he still hasn't made a real appearance in the manga though.

He did make an appearance, as a crossdressing shota, in Volume 11. But that's it. He's raped to death offscreen later by the SATAN and then goes to the Taika universe.
>>
File: 7c0d64c8.png (523KB, 800x1100px) Image search: [Google]
7c0d64c8.png
523KB, 800x1100px
>>14703168
As for why he's a trap, it's just to satisfy Nagano's fetishes.
>>
>>14703168
>He's raped to death offscreen later by the SATAN and then goes to the Taika universe.

Source
>>
File: 19596468_p0.jpg (649KB, 800x1100px) Image search: [Google]
19596468_p0.jpg
649KB, 800x1100px
>>14703245
>3225年からのスタント遊星攻防戦にて戦死となっているが、実際はジョーカー太陽星団とは別の宇宙「タイカ宇宙」の巫女シルビス・レィス・ヴィーナスに召喚され、彼女によって初めて『人』と呼べる存在となり、謎の敵勢力『アンカー』と長い戦いを続けていく。後にシルビスと結ばれ、その4万年後の子孫として全能神U.R.I.が登場する。

dic.pixiv.net/a/マキシマム・ハルトフォラス
>>
>>14703283
That's not much good since I can't read that
>>
File: NT201311_60-61.jpg (460KB, 1828x1170px) Image search: [Google]
NT201311_60-61.jpg
460KB, 1828x1170px
>>14701101
FSS's ridiculous setting and timeline is kind of a double-edged sword. As a universe, it works incredibly well, and almost everything makes sense in its context. The stories happen in "real time"- there are no "epic" journeys that take place in the course of a single week like so many other stories. And while there are recurring characters, none of them really visibly develop onscreen, which is also fairly realistic. The setting, much like our world, does not revolve around the characters. On the flip side, it makes the reader apathetic to the overall story because there's no particular character or side to cling on to, and the amount of detail is overwhelming. FSS is very interesting, but simultaneously boring in the narrative sense. Then again, I guess that's why it's called Five Star Stories and not A Five Star Story.
>>
>>14701260
he's or she's only appeared in a vision and i doubt he'll ever make it to the actual story. I think he is an artificial headliner born from Silvia's err.. fatima womb and kaine's sperm (of which she stole from, no idea how, maybe she jacked him off), the embryo stayed in her womb for 9 years (i think) before he was finally bone.
>>
>>14703187
So is Maximum a hermaphrodite like Anaterasu?
>>
It depends imo.

A lot of detail is not necessarily a bad thing, especially if those details are actually used.

But if you have tons of detail but never use them, you might as well not have them.
>>
>>14706814
The Machine Messs are brought up in the manga, one of them actually appears during the Majestic Stand.
>>
I heard he retconned everything so I stopped caring about the plot and just read it for the designs.
>>
File: 3655433326383.jpg (344KB, 1253x1600px) Image search: [Google]
3655433326383.jpg
344KB, 1253x1600px
>>14707026
It was mostly a graphical retcon. Mostly new terminology and GTMs instead of MHs. Here's a pic from the latest chapter.
>>
File: 1469569423277.jpg (991KB, 1373x1741px) Image search: [Google]
1469569423277.jpg
991KB, 1373x1741px
>>14707071
Here's a flashback to when the Empress encounters the Scritti
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.