[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Gundam 00 considered to be the best AU series?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 7

Why is Gundam 00 considered to be the best AU series?
>>
Because all the others are awful, except for G and X, which are both better than 00, imo.
>>
>>14690995

It's one of the only AU series that tried to do something different with the plot. The characters were pretty cool too.
>>
>>14690995
really great non gundam MS
>>
>>14690995
>Gundam 00 considered to be the best AU series
But it's not.
>>
>>14691009
>G and X
>not awful
nice shit taste pal
>>
>>14690995
Because its one where the staff actually cared about it, aside from the animators being lazy pieces of shit everyone else did half-ass their work in it, compare with AGE where the level-5 guy just pulled the plot from a game and put it there, down to the random encounters, and IBO with its nearly infinite filler
>>
>>14690995
It's shit

>>14691009
Those are shit too
>>
>>14690995
But X was.
>>
I'm kinda sad I wasn't here to witness AGE with /m/.
I was here for Try though so that's something.
>>
>>14690995
It's almost always babby's first AU or babby's first Gundam

I can guarantee you that it's about 75% of the browsers on this boards' very first Gundam/intro to Gundam, so much, if not almost literally all its praise, stems from nostalgia and nostalgia alone.
>>
>>14691157
>It's almost always babby's first AU or babby's first Gundam
I thought that was Wing.
>>
>>14691157
I don't know what you're talking about. Most people here had Wing as their first.
Also I watched 00 in its entirety recently and I still enjoyed it as much as always.
>>
>>14690995
Largely because the animation quality above average standard after all these years.
The plot isn't half bad either. I enjoyed it more than Zeta.

00 is certainly one of the more, if not the most, optimistic of the Gundam shows.
>>
>>14691160
>>14691184
Not to start something, but I always see 00fags deflect this criticism to Wing.
Which is entirely false yet incredibly persistent, I have no idea why the board tries to perpetuate this meme.
You might not think so, but the vast majority of posters here weren't even born when Wing was shown on American TV (and not all posters here are American, thank god). Most people on 4chan got into anime in the last 6 - 7 years so naturally they'd watch the newest series - 00. I figure that if you do a survey you would find that 00 is generally most people's first.
>>
>>14691202
>the newest series
at the time*
>>
>>14691202
I've always considered /m/'s userbase to be significantly older than the average 4chan anon, due to the age of topics/shows discussed.
I came to /m/ specifically during 2007 where the assumption that most anons started with Wing was an accurate one.

For most of the threads regarding "first gundam anime" that I've cared to participate in, I still generally see more Wing than 00. In fact, the last thread I bothered to check out of that kind, only had 2 mentions of 00.
>>
Every single gundam is shit.
>>
>>14691195
>Humanity is incappable of anything without a super computer manipulating them to the belief's and ideals of a deadman.

Really isn't optimistic at all.
>>
>>14691202
Most people start watching anime around the age of 13. Anyone in their mid-late 20s had Wing as their first Gundam. Early-mid 20s it was probably Seed or Destiny. It would be people in 18-20 who saw 00 when they were 12-13. This means Wing is still a fairly common first.

>>14690995
It's got better writing and characters than most other AUs. Even if you think S2 is just a Zeta clone, you have to admit it's a reasonably well-made Zeta clone. Its criticisms largely come from disagreement with its message rather than that message coming with bizarre storytelling, major production failings, or both. It's simply better than the others in essentially every regard.
>>
>>14691579
The characters are boring though. Setsuna is the worst Gundam protagonist, Marina is the worst princess, Sumeragi is a worse Murrue, etc.
>>
>>14690995
>why is any anime considered to be good
Usually it's the writing quality people refer to, unless they're shallow and/or simple-minded then they'll probably mean they just liked the animation or character designs or some shit.

00 is the best written AU but that doesn't mean you have to like it.
>>
>>14691594
Setsuna falls flat because he's a deluded lunatic who claims god is dead when all he did was replace his old one with a new robot god as his excuse for forcing his ideals onto others and he stays that was after trans-am shows up to carry him for 2 thirds of the show.

Marina just doesn't do shit period. Yet she's constantly forced onto the screen as if she's vital to the plot.

Sumeragi is a pair of drunken tits that people fap over and that's her character. Oh and she fucked Billy over between S1 and 2 because exploiting his kindness is a good guy thing ofc.

Al/Hal has no character development beyond going from moaning about Marie to telling her how to think and act.

Irish snipers little development either but at least one got a cute 3 episode waifu.

Christ just thinking how many character got no development while Marina got 2 dozen scenes of her doing jack shit makes me angry.
>>
>>14691473
The only way you could possibly know is if you've seen them all, which in that case I'm wondering why you keep torturing yourself and angrily posting about it? Must be a masochist thing.
>>
Maybe.. I become a Gundam?

Shit's just madoka with robots, god damn Setsuna's a shitty protag. I can't take the show seriously because of him and the other two emo crybabies.

LockOn is cool, but neither iteration gets any characterization.

The entire show is just god awful and its Gundams rely on Mary Sue Particles and plot armor in order to get anywhere.

It's worse than G Gundam in my opinion.
>>
>>14691009
>G and X
>not shit
>>
>>14691195
>00 is certainly one of the more, if not the most, optimistic of the Gundam shows.
what

X is literally "normal humans will rebuild society" while 00 is "we need an AI to guide us to a better future"
>>
>>14691157
Try again faggot:

>was 10 and got the original MSG movie trilogy dubbed on VHS
>then W on Toonami
>then G on Toonami
>then 0080, 0083, and CCA on the Adult Swim
>followed by Seed
>then Zeta
>and then ZZ
Project harder.
>>
>>14691723
Wrong.

>>14691624
>Setsuna falls flat
You are retarded.
>Marina just doesn't do shit period.
That was her point you troglodyte, she's called poverty princess because her focus was to be an influence on Setsuna but she would wield no actual power unlike characters like Relena or Lacus, you ADHD riddled new age low-brow disphit.
>Sumeragi is a pair of drunken tits
Thanks for proving you didn't watch the show.
>>
>>14690995
>Why is Gundam 00 considered to be the best AU series?

how can you be so wrong? its not the worst but far from the best, middle of the road at best.
>>
>>14691726
well its was /m/'s first gundam, as in it aired around the time /m/ was made, it think that and code geass are why /m/ exists cause /a/ was tired of all the gundam and CG threads.
>>14691151
AGE was my favorite time on /m/. it was around the same time we had "toku isn't /m/" shit going on. It was a lot of fun
>>
>>14691628
Wait what? Isnt half the reason people on this board watch gundam is to talk about how shit it is?
>>
>>14691754
>/m/'s first Gundam
SEED-Destiny was airing when /m/ was made like 3 years before that, stupid.
>>
I watched the first 13 episodes and fucking hated it, the characters were all unlikeable little faggots except for Lockon

Should I bother trying to pick it back up and finish it? I'm starting to think drama mecha shows and most Gundam series just aren't for me
>>
>>14691767

It took a shitty series like Destiny for /m/ to be created.
>>
>>14690995
They're not alternate universes, there's just a bunch of /m/orons in denial about the single timeline.
>>
File: Patrick.png (159KB, 573x317px) Image search: [Google]
Patrick.png
159KB, 573x317px
I enjoyed 00 because there were the little things like Lockon not shooting the body of mobile suits but instead the arms or weapons. Also it had the best minor pilot and romance subplot of all time.
>>
>>14691614
>Usually it's the writing quality people refer to, unless they're shallow and/or simple-minded then they'll probably mean they just liked the animation or character designs or some shit.
>unless
Nigga, a big hint that someone is simple-minded is judging audiovisual media solely con the writing
>>
>>14691845
Disagree.
MiniPato is extremely simplistic in its "animation" but was entertaining due to clever writing.
Allowing pretty colors and flashy lights to WOW you into liking a shit story is the truly simple mind.
>>
>>14691834
I like it when pilots go for non-lethal shots, but only if they have the justified skills to back it up, and as long as they're not overly preachy about it.
>>
File: Patrick the Ace.jpg (168KB, 684x772px) Image search: [Google]
Patrick the Ace.jpg
168KB, 684x772px
>>14691834
I legitimately cried a bit when I thought he died near the S2 finale.
>>
>>14691873
Pretty much all the tension in the climax of the movie was just because I was worried for him, and I freaked the fuck out when he almost died again
>>
It was one of the best tributes to the Gundam franchise in that it wasn't just establishing its own ideas and themes as an anime, but it was both modernized with real-life themes on war for season 1, followed by a more sci-fi expression of wondering about the future in season 2. Everything about it was just top-notch and, even though there are a few flaws here and there, it has a great narrative structure that balances both action and drama so well.
>>
>>14691845
So basically no matter how well written something is, I'm not allowed to enjoy it if the animation is bad or what? You sound like a moron
>>
>>14691919
How much did Sunrise pay you to post this?
>>
>>14691819
Dumb tripfag
>>
>>14691919
I don't know if this is a joke post or not, but after watching it again I began to notice how 00 makes TONS and TONS of nods and little references to the original 0079 series.
I'd have to watch it again to make a list, but one of the most clearest in my mind is when one of the mooks complains to his superior about how he's scared to go up against the gundams, and he gets told to just crash into them for a two rank promotion.
>>
>>14691009
G is pretty based, for some reason /m/ has been infiltrated by a lot of G haters.
>>
>>14691579
Don't forget that 4chan, despite the policies, almost entirely consists of people aged 14-20.
>>
>>14690995
You're mistaking popular for good, OP. They aren't the same thing.

Gundam 00 isn't good, but it is extremely well targeted at the general audience of mecha shows.

It took the "Extremely angsty, self important protagonists who have problems with authority" theme that is popular with young adults and took it to an extreme while also having high production values and plenty of cool robot designs.

It also didn't do anything completely retarded like try and appeal to a different audience at the expense of alienating a large portion of their actual audience like AGE did, or make the mistake of letting Tomino be involved in it in any way like they did with G-reco.

Basically it was a well produced show that properly identified its audience and pandered to them.
>>
>>14692468
>Gundam 00 isn't good
>it was a well produced show that properly identified its audience and pandered to them

So... it's good then? I don't really understand why you would think it isn't good if it did what a good show should do, which is appealing to its audience.

Unless the only way you judge a show as being good is if it was a masterpiece unrivaled by other shows, then I'm not sure what you are even trying to complain about with 00.
>>
>>14692468
Thats the thing though AGE at first looked like it was ment to appeal more to kid but ended up with a fairly generic gundam plot and a enemy faction that makes Gihren look like a pacifst. It's like
they changed their minds towards the end of S1 and went for normal gundam stuff.

Then Build Fighters came along at did everything AGE was supposed to do and made it look easy.
>>
>>14692620
The problem was that in spite of its fairly generic storyline it managed to turn off half its audience early on just with the character designs.
>>
The GN Gundams are fucking sexy.
>>
>>14692346
I don't see how anyone can watch G and not like it.
>>
>>14692506
If your standard of quality is how effectively a show panders to it's audience then sure. But by that standard Moe series are also "good".
>>
What I really want to know is why S2 is so much worse than S1
>>
>>14692773
Every /m/ show panders to /m/ because it has mechs in it.
>>
File: 1447324395557.png (606KB, 628x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1447324395557.png
606KB, 628x1080px
>>14692773
/v/ please go.
>>
>>14692778
Because everyone complained about the Gundams not having mouth vents.
>>
What "Turn A" isn't considered AU?
>>
File: 1466021504053.jpg (561KB, 1280x1414px) Image search: [Google]
1466021504053.jpg
561KB, 1280x1414px
>>14690995
We all know that G Reco is the best Gundam series around.
>>
>>14692741
I think the biggest fuckup Sunrise made with AGE was revealing Asemu and Kio in the early press materials. It deflated all the tension and mystery around the characters making their fates (along with the series) a foregone conclusion.

I seriously hope the marketing "expert" who made that call got their ass fired.
>>
>>14692748
The Thrones are misshapen abominations though.
>>
>>14691735
The thing about Marina is that in this franchise, she's an actual pacifist. Not the "I won't kill unless I absolutely have to" kind like Kira, but the Ghandi type. Her belief is so strong she wouldn't even use a gun to defend her own life or those around her, whereas even Relena said "fuck that, we need to fight to preserve peace".

But ultimately, pacifism doesn't work like it does in the movies. It's more a psychological thing, and if the enemies don't have a conscious it's ultimately worthless. Even India's independence had more to do with the INA than Ghandi's movement. So on people like the A-Laws, Marina is useless. But on the general public, and people like Setsuna, she can affect and change him in many ways.
>>
File: happy dade.png (219KB, 422x499px) Image search: [Google]
happy dade.png
219KB, 422x499px
I'm on episode 21 of season 1, and coming off of watching all of UC I like that it's trying to be something different.

But seriously
>Gundam 00 or: The Depression of Saji Crossroad

>>14692869
Turn A is very deeply tied to UC, and shares a timeline with it. Just because it also considers some of the AUs up to its release as canon doesn't make it an AU.

Same deal with G-Reco.
>>
File: mi4qnUgXO1qfxv5io1_500.jpg (766KB, 850x939px) Image search: [Google]
mi4qnUgXO1qfxv5io1_500.jpg
766KB, 850x939px
>>14692891
He said AU series dumb ass, you give fans of G-Reco a bad rap.
>>
>>14693196
And everyone knows you don't need to help them with that.
>>
>>14693196
nobody fucking considers Greco UC or any good. It's barely above seed destiny and thats only cause of the waifus
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.