[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the Thunderbolt Manga any good? Also what Gundam manga is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 17

File: gundam_thunderbolt.jpg (111KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
gundam_thunderbolt.jpg
111KB, 1200x675px
Is the Thunderbolt Manga any good?

Also what Gundam manga is worth reading in general?
>>
>>14689782
Arc Performance always does good work, check them out.
>>
We're Federation Hooligans, Return of Johnny Ridden, Acguy 2250 Miles Across North America, 0083 Rebellion, Thunderbolt is pretty good yeah, I like the Crossbones personally but I know there's some mixed opinions, From a Place Beyond The Blaze, Lost War Chronicles, Gundam Legacy, F90 and Silhouette Formula 91, there's a lot of pretty solid things
>>
File: page001.jpg (894KB, 1100x1600px) Image search: [Google]
page001.jpg
894KB, 1100x1600px
>>14689782
You should at least read the first volume of Thunderbolt

I don't think the second part is as bad as some people here think it is
>>
gundam manga is better than gundam anime.
>>
>>14690928
Whats wrong with the second part? Does it get better again after that at least?
>>
File: page074.jpg (329KB, 847x1200px) Image search: [Google]
page074.jpg
329KB, 847x1200px
>>14691038
>Whats wrong with the second part?
Nothing, really. It just goes into some weird historical territory in relation to the rest of UC at the time it takes place. That and the RX-78AL looks seriously weird for early UC.

Also, it has best Feddie waifu
>>
>>14691038
It gets a bit weird after the oyw technically ends and they need a new enemy.

over half the zeon military refused to accept the surrender and still hold some territory on earth (mostly in the ocean), the zeon scientist was so traumatized by the beam saber thing she mentally regressed to the mind of a 5 year old and thinks Daryl is her dad, a cult of Buddhist monks captured the scientist with data on the p-type and is working to build their own. The cult is led by a newtype experiment from the war who is brainwashing most of his followers, including Claudia who is alive, and the cult has declared that they are independent of the EF and control a chunk of asia. Both Zeon and the EF want the P-type data and last I saw Zeon was looking to ally itself with the cult when stealing the data failed.
>>
>>14689782

Gundam Crossbone
>>
I'd say anyone who doesn't own or have at least read this series isn't a true fan
>>
File: Ecole-du-ciel-(2).jpg (1MB, 1502x710px) Image search: [Google]
Ecole-du-ciel-(2).jpg
1MB, 1502x710px
>>14691190
>>
>>14691168
Adding on to this
For all the vaunted military realism of the first part, the second has a scene which rivals Wing in terms of ridiculous luck - a group of Acguys huddled together, surrounded by a mob of suicidally motivated GM pilots all charging them and firing.

Despite that, the Acguys seem to take little to no major damage even though they're rendered a really easy target under the circumstances.
>>
>>14691190
>anyone who doesn't want a comic book with a shitload of pointless changes to canon isn't a fan of the original anime whose canon this shits all over
Lucky for me, you are not the authority on whether others are "true fans" or not.
>>
>>14691206
Anime when?
>>
>>14691294
>Female lead
>Banrise
Even with Try, they advertised Fumina as the MC and then Sekai spent 26 episodes ruining everything.
>>
>>14691314
Let Satelight do it.
>>
>>14691284

>MUH MUH CANON

Define what 0079 canon is, the tv show that got meddled with so much that Tomino wrote a novel with different canon to that he later changed his mind about and greenlighted Origin, please explain
>>
>>14691314
People keep saying this lately, but she was never advertised as the lead. All three try fighters were and they always appear together in the early advertisements.

Are people just getting the opening bit of the first episode confused with the marketing?
>>
File: latest-12.jpg (111KB, 334x450px) Image search: [Google]
latest-12.jpg
111KB, 334x450px
>>14691339
For example, here's the promotional image from when they unveiled the characters. Fumina isn't even in the center of it.
>>
>People still think Thunderbolt isn't its own timeline
I seriously hope you aren't like this.
>>
>>14691367
Gundam Wing and Endless Waltz aren't considered separate. Why should Thunderbolt?
>>
>>14691284
>a shitload of pointless changes to canon
Good thing The Origin is an alternate telling of 0079, and isn't canon.

>>14691378
Thunderbolt features a full retcon of units, and has a slightly higher tech and resource level than normal UC. It's its own canon.
>>
File: Char_39_s_Zaku_II.webm (1002KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Char_39_s_Zaku_II.webm
1002KB, 1280x720px
>>14691284
Gundam "canon" is an ever-changing, ever-fluid mess of back and forth lore-changes, conflicting sources (animated and otherwise) and poorly implemented additions. Origin is actually pretty inoffensive in comparison to the majority of OVAs and side stories out there.

The OVA seems like it's going on to reboot the OYW wholesale instead of simply serving as a mere prequel. Good thing, too; UC Gundam is in need of a clean slate if they're never going to bother with anything past 0100.

>>14691329
Tomino doesn't greenlight a damn thing. He barely has anything to do with modern gundam save for G-Reco and occasional public appearances where he either acts like a grumpy old man or an eccentric happy coot.
>>
>>14691394
>Good thing The Origin is an alternate telling of 0079, and isn't canon.
Sunrise seems to be treating it as the new de-facto canon, actually. They already said that the OVA might go on to be a retelling of the original series at an english convention, provided it's successful enough.
>>
>>14691353
Is Ecole du ciel lighthearted like Try?
>>
>>14691409
>Origin is actually pretty inoffensive in comparison to the majority of OVAs and side stories out there.
This. 08th MS Team and 0083 are far harder to reconcile than the changes Origin makes.
>>
>>14691416
Just because it has an adaptation does't mean it's canon. This is a big problem with the Western fanbase. Everything has to fit somewhere in canon, and no one can just take a piece of media by itself. A lot of the blame can probably be placed on Marvel's influence on the mainstream media, and the focus on "cinematic universes" and larger canon.
>>
>>14691378
Because you don't see any waffling on what designs are official and they didn't do something like they did for 0080 to explain why the designs are different from other Gundam series. Plus the whole deviation after the battle of A Baoa Qu and the author saying he wasn't bound by establish canon for his story.

>>14691394
The Origin is just its own timeline, it's still official.
>>
>>14691445
Considering that the japanese attitude towards conflicting crap in the anime is "different depictions of history," writing Origin off is pretty retarded since it falls perfectly under the same pretense.

I'd say some aspects of the manga are actually even more sensible than the 0079 anime. I actually liked the fact that the White Base went directly to Jaburo instead of some globetrotting adventure, and THEN headed to Odessa with Revil and his army.
>>
What are the objectively top 3 best Gundam manga?

Also what are the objectively top 3 best Gundam anime?
>>
File: 1457129828171.gif (2MB, 500x362px) Image search: [Google]
1457129828171.gif
2MB, 500x362px
>>14691471
I haven't read a lot of gundam manga but what i've watched are the series and the best ones are
Zeta, Victory and 079
>>
>>14691456
>>14691467
Sorry, I should have worded my posts better. Origin is its own canon, like Thunderbolt. I didn't mean to sound like I was dismissing it entirely. I fucking love the Origin, and I think its version of the One Year War is better than the main timeline's.
>>
>>14691456
>Because you don't see any waffling on what designs are official and they didn't do something like they did for 0080 to explain why the designs are different from other Gundam series.

Which is kind of my point. Thunderbolt's status is very much like Endless Waltz; it's just the mangaka taking visual artistic license with whatever he wants. Sunrise said he could do whatever he wanted because generally speaking, they don't really care much with any other manga artists working for them. Pretty much every Gundam Manga in UC or otherwise features some wacky, unlikely series of events coinciding with other series and not meshing terribly well.

>Plus the whole deviation after the battle of A Baoa Qu
To be fair, as over-the-top as his material has been since that point, he hasn't really done anything that really conflicts with anything else. It's a bit big in scale, but we don't really get much info on the post-war period anyway, so it's all pretty much fair game.
>>
>>14691418
no, it gets darker she joins the Zeon.
>>
>>14691056
>and the RX-78AL looks seriously weird for early UC.

that without mentioning it's capable of atmospheric flight
>>
>>14691284
please define "pointless". Because the additions in the manga serve to deepen the original series' world and characters far more than the original series had time to.
>>
>>14691489
But Zeta is terrible and Victory is mediocre as fuck
>>
>>14691536
I'm not that anon, (and I do like The Origin) but stuff like the RTX-65 Guntank I think is dumb. It should have just been a Type-61.
>>
>>14691497
>Origin is its own canon, like Thunderbolt.
I don't even really see the point of segregating either of these, especially since Sunrise never really bothers. "Correct History" is completely fluid as far as Gundam is concerned. Any sort of claim that Origin is it's own canon always seems to come from the fans eager to have a concrete series of events when half the time, Sunrise just retcons it the next year, anyway. In fact, I'd say that with how they are treating Origin and tie in works like MSD, it actually juxtaposes with 08th MS team far better, with Federation MS development happening in a way that complements it, and as time goes on and MSD continues, it's probably going to reference other side stories in relation to Origin.

But aside from that, if we can take 20+ Mass Produced Gundams and 40+ GMs stomping around in Asia and various parts of the world before even Gihren's speech or a second colony drop happening before Zeta, I don't see the need to segregate Origin or Thunderbolt into their own separate universes, since their events or changes are far less jarring or contradictory. Gundam "canon" has always been a very fickle, very fluid thing to begin with.
>>
>>14691206
>From cadet to hostage to pirate to anti-government rebel and back again
The author probably drugged himself.
>>
>>14691523
With extremely specialized equipment, though. The unit itself isn't capable of that.

We've had Goufs and Zakus flying on dodais and shit since way early on.
>>
Here's the official list:

Gundam Manga Worth Reading
-Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin
-Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossbone Gundam
-Mobile Suit Gundam: Ecole du Ciel
-Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Deleted Affair

Gundam Manga Not Worth Reading
-Everything Else
>>
>>14691589
But Thunderbolt is better than all of those except for The Origin
>>
>>14691497
Gundam canon is a mess and will always be a mess
Bandai doesnt care and will add in things that will contradict other things as long as it sells more toys, because at the end of the day, that's the bottom line.
>>
>>14691206
Anime WHEN?!!

It'll be another comeback for Haruhiko Mikimoto after Kabaneri, and the designs can work nowadays
>>
>>14691206
I didn't like ecole du ciel's art for some reason
>>
File: Ecoel-du-ciel-gundam.jpg (3MB, 4700x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Ecoel-du-ciel-gundam.jpg
3MB, 4700x1200px
>>14691660
Too moe?
>>
>>14691742
>>
>>14691747
>>14691742
Too much Female pilot for a gundam.
>>
>>14691646
First thing's first, Mikimoto actually needs to finish it.
Though an adaptation might succeed in lighting a fire under him to do that.
>>
>ctrl-F 'The Plot to Assassinate Gihren Zabi'
>0 of 0

You shame yourselves, /m/en.
>>
>>14691514
Except in Gundam Wing, the redesigns are in line with a straight up retcon rather than reality warping like you are implying we'd have with Thunderbolt (Again, it would only have validity if they pointed out they were a different model from the base Zaku II like they did in 0080 and 0083.) Thunderbolt also conflicts with the timeline as it was currently laid out since Zeon never had any major movements after the armistice was signed until the Delaz Declaration. If half of Zeon's forces didn't stand down and were still fighting the Federation, I doubt the Delaz Fleet's appearance would have been as big a shock as it was, even after 3 years.

As for the anime version, they're still using the Thunderbolt designs for all the mobile suits that appear regardless of their area and unless they continue to use that design in future works, it would not have merit to say Thunderbolt can work itself into the main timeline.

>>14691637
They're all considered official, it's what is considered the main one that has created contention.Although you can't say things can't be easily sorted out

Going off of Bandai's stance that if it's animated, they consider it official and using the One Year War as a base point, we can state there are 4 different timelines for UC.
>Movie Timeline (Main timeline)
>TV version Timeline
>Origin
>Thunderbolt
Any OVA or show that doesn't have events or characters that contradict the timeline are also considered part of that timeline. (I.E. 0083 is part of both the Movie and Origin Timeline)
>>
>>14691226
desu senpai if this was Wing, the Acguys would've charged into melee and killed them all with beam sabers. Instead they were forced to retreat and the MC has to be rescued when he tries (and fails) to kill 3 mooks at once.

>>14689782
imo the manga is good. some of the more extreme and "controversial" changes imo are really not that big of a deal. the scientist girl is basically Casca now which i think is a retarded trope but overall it's become very entertaining.
>>
File: video-paper_map_of_palau.png (892KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
video-paper_map_of_palau.png
892KB, 1280x800px
>>14691394
>and has a slightly higher tech and resource level than normal UC.
This is kind of a difficult issue to deal with, since First Gundam was produced back in the late Seventies, but nobody has come out and stated that the Universal Century doesn't still take place in "our" future, the future of 2016. So things they wouldn't have thought of in '79 might still exist in UC 0079, once staff members think of them in the Nineties, Oughts, or Tens. And it's a little unfair to keep UC 0079 in the retro-futuristic past when it's in a future with a whole new class of particles and swords made out of plasma.

Take this foldable motion display paper seen in Unicorn, which was previously seen in the ANT Zeta films. In the Eighties they might not have thought of this technology, but in the Oughts, it made perfect sense to include this, partially to make the films less retro-futuristic. For all we know, this tech existed as early as 0079.

Eventually, real life might look more futuristic than the RX-78-2, so by then it will be strange to say "The Atlas looks too advanced for the One Year War". It would be nice if someone just decided that the Universal Century is an alternate history, like Macross's timeline. Like if the Earth Federation were confirmed to have been formed in 1997.

>>14691568's point is also important.
>>
>>14691329
>Define what
>>14691536
>please define
lol no. Not even the point. Anon defined ME as "not a true fan" because I like the source material more than the rewrite.
Let me reiterate that:
People who think
>>14691409
>UC Gundam is in need of a clean slate
are telling me THEY are more of a fan than I am because they like it LESS than I do. It's fine like it is. The last fucking thiing the franchise needs is yet-another-UC-rehash. Nearly everyone on /m/ who didn't get into Gundam through Origin has been complaining for a decade that they need to stop retelling MSG. MSG does not need retelling.
>>14691329
>Tomino wrote a novel with different
So you're saying that Tomino likes it less than I do, and that somehow makes me not a "true fan".

"True fan" just means "people who agree with what I like" and you can shove it up your collective asses.
>>
>>14691837
First post nigga
>>
>>14691849
>Except in Gundam Wing, the redesigns are in line with a straight up retcon rather than reality warping.

It's not a retcon it's literally just ver. Katoki.

It's an anime; you can get away with that kind of shit.
>>
>>14691967
No one's telling you anything, faggot. I just said that if Gundam is just going to keep telling new OYW stories instead of actually progressing the bloody timeline or expanding on the later years of the calendar, might as well fucking reboot the damn conflict to accomodate all the bullshit they brought in with 08th and whatnot. It's not bad bullshit, mind you, but fuck if any of it fits in with MSG.

Which is part of the reason why, at this point, I'd totally be down for an MSG retelling. Fuck, it's better than ANOTHER Alternate Universe when Sunrise has about twenty to work with as is. I'd rather Gundam just get back to it's roots than just inarticulately fuck around with the brand whenever they need a new generation of fans.

>Nearly everyone on /m/ who didn't get into Gundam through Origin has been complaining for a decade that they need to stop retelling MSG
No, YOU and a select few at best have been saying that, and I'm just presuming that, because I've never actually seen that opinion expressed on /m/. What we've been saying is that we need less OYW side stories populating the conflict with MORE and MORE Gundam types when the RX-78-2 was supposed to be the special snowflake. Plenty of people here and elsewhere have been pretty excited at the prospect for a newly animated Mobile Suit Gundam for quite awhile now, and Origin seems to building up to fitting that bill and then some.
>>
File: GundamTypePaleRiderSpace-1-1.png (1MB, 642x1137px) Image search: [Google]
GundamTypePaleRiderSpace-1-1.png
1MB, 642x1137px
>>14692061
>What we've been saying is that we need less OYW side stories populating the conflict with MORE and MORE Gundam types when the RX-78-2 was supposed to be the special snowflake.
This. I love me some RX-78-4/5/6, but Gundam needs to slow down on the OYW's internal expanded universe. It's getting a bit ridiculous when they add in a unit that's literally a spin off of another side story unit with equipment from other side story units.
>>
>>14692022
Figuratively, they're designs that are put into a battle that already took place in the series. That's a retcon.
>>
File: Frozen teardrop.jpg (113KB, 500x713px) Image search: [Google]
Frozen teardrop.jpg
113KB, 500x713px
>>14692291
Retroactive Continuity implies that the events of Endless Waltz override the TV series versions. They don't. In the context of EW, they've always looked like that. In the context of the TV series, the Gundams always remained in their Okawara appearance. Two different interpretations of the same suits. Not a retcon.

A retcon would be something like Frozen Teardrop, where there were Gundams running around before the events of the TV series and the main cast not only knew about them, but a few also *piloted* them, but never mentioned them in the series proper. THAT'S a retcon.
>>
>>14692372
You can have two interpretations, but one must take priority in the end because this is not Schrodinger's Gundam where both versions should hypothetically exist at the same time.

The fact they animated events from the original series that the Gundams took part in with the Endless Waltz version is a retcon in terms of how the suit appeared. You could only try to use the contextual argument if they didn't animate that scene and one could claim they got modified after the fact.
>>
File: 1411670685553-1.jpg (950KB, 1219x1135px) Image search: [Google]
1411670685553-1.jpg
950KB, 1219x1135px
>>14692481
>Schrodinger's Gundam where both versions should hypothetically exist at the same time.

It is exactly this because it's fucking fiction, -animated fiction- at that, and they can do whatever the hell they want and not give a single thought to making it override previous canon or segregating it into another continuity for the mouthbreathers that worry about this kind of shit.

Get over it, bitch. Damn...
>>
>>14691660
Faggots find it "too girly"
>>
File: Wing Zero & Wing Zero EW.jpg (65KB, 1224x684px) Image search: [Google]
Wing Zero & Wing Zero EW.jpg
65KB, 1224x684px
>>14692372
>In the context of EW, they've always looked like that. In the context of the TV series, the Gundams always remained in their Okawara appearance. Two different interpretations of the same suits. Not a retcon.

This. Notice in most games that feature Gundam Wing, the Okawara Gundams still show up, often alongside the EW Gundams, then there was this shot in the 30th anniversary video.

Sunrise acknowledges both TV and EW. They aren't separate and one doesn't retcon the other, nor does one version take priority outside of the specific work it's part of.
>>
>>14692641
Reminds me of Black and Black RX.
>>
>>14692650
In the context of Decade, sure.
Because otherwise Black RX is the sequel series upgraded version of Black.
>>
>>14691756

There's never enough Gundam for Christina MacKenzie.
>>
FACT: Origin is the only Gundam manga that isnt a low effort spin off
>>
What is the Berserk of Gundam?
>>
>>14693293
IBO.
The boat never ends.
>>
>>14693293

Starts out amazing in the first half (Golden Age, Conviction) and then absolutely shits itself in the second and loses what made it good in the first place. (Millennium Falcon, Fantasia)
>>
File: DAT01_000a.jpg (488KB, 1660x1400px) Image search: [Google]
DAT01_000a.jpg
488KB, 1660x1400px
I wish Kai Shiden's Report/Memory go translated.
>>
>>14689782
Return of Johnny Ridden is pretty good. Crossbone is fun.
>>
I got around to DL the original gundam series but i can't play it well with MPC. Can someone help me?
>>
>>14694959
It's by [Zeonic-Corps]
>>
>>14690137
Anyone know the best place to grab these? I have Johnny Ridden but want to check out the rest.
>>
>>14695009
http://pastebin.com/zDqTp4hj

A few are here
>>
>>14694964
>>14694959
what do you mean it doesn't play well?
>>
What do you guys think about Beyond the Time manga?
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.