[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What dialogue Tomino ACTUALLY wrote.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

A lot of people shit on Tomino as a writer of dialogue, but the truth is that he rarely writes his own show's scripts outside of the novels/concepts/approves drafts and ideas.

Here's an actual list of the Gundam shows he's personally written the script for. I'm not saying these are good or bad, but rather these should be taken as a direct indication of the man's writing style. Everything else is someone else's screenplay.

MSG TV: Episode 14.
MSG Movie Trilogy (I assume he did any new dialogue or changes, but what was the same came from the show.)
Zeta: Nothing. Just directed/oversaw things. Writing was shared between half a dozen script writers.
Zeta Trilogy: Wrote any new dialogue/new scenes.
ZZ: Same as Zeta.
CCA: Wrote the script.
F91: Wrote the script.
Victory: Same as Zeta/ZZ.
Crossbone Manga: Story scenario and a few script tidbits. Likely the overall outline and ideas, but not word for word.
Turn-A: Same as above.
Turn-A Movies: Screenplays. Again, presumably any new dialogue/scenes are his.
G-Reco: Script Writer. Episodes 1-26.

Tomino of course wrote any novel versions of each show, and anything where he is credited as lyricist Rin Iogi. He wrote the outline, concept and scenarios for each show and approved the character designs and their overall roles. He also oversaw all storyboards and scripts. But beyond that? He didn't pen nearly as much as this board gives him credit for.

Does this mean what he did write is good/bad? I leave that up to you. G-Reco is apparently 100% true form Tomino, top to bottom. Same with the new stuff in the compilation films and all of CCA and F91. Make of that what you will.
>>
File: many-keks.jpg (175KB, 500x382px) Image search: [Google]
many-keks.jpg
175KB, 500x382px
>>14675997
>G-Reco: Script Writer. Episodes 1-26.

Guess now we know why it's so shit.
>>
>>14675997
>didn't write Turn A's dialogue
Was wondering why it was so decent, UNIVEEEEEEEEEEERSE and a couple other small moments aside.
>>
>>14676102
There's got to be more of a connection. It's no coincidence that most of his shows have some unusual or unique dialogue throughout. Sure, you'll get CCA's COULD HAVE BEEN A MOTHER TO ME and all that but even Japanese viewers note that his dialogue is different than most directors.
>>
OP here. To put out my own opinion, I think Tomino is a pretty good novelist, but is a so-so script writer.

I liked episode 0079 14. I think his additions to the 0079 films were brilliant all around. I like CCA, but many people have problems with it. I like F91, but its pacing is a crazy mess. I think the Zeta films and Turn A films are forgettable.

I think G Reco has a lot of very good ideas, but is outright strange and bizarrely paced. This seems to be the case with almost everything he has personally written. Much, much less so with stuff he oversaw.

I think Tomino's world building and novel writing is much more solid. His character motivations, plot ideas, and other concepts come across much more clearly in written text.

He is of course a brilliant visual choreographer and storyboard director, despite his pacing issues. His mecha action is consistently top notch and super creative, fluent and well plotted. Even G Reco was no exception to this. His scenery is beautiful and well plotted out.

He is a master world builder and I think all the shows he oversaw but didn't so much do himself are very good whereas his novels are themselves well written but give him the appropriate time to flesh out their details.
>>
>>14676134

He no doubt oversees and tweaks things, probably suggests lines here or there. He is in charge of what shows up on screen for each show and directs the actors performances too.

But... this whole "Tomino dialogue" meme is greatly overstated. It's true about stuff he directly writes, but a lot less so about stuff someone else did.

I'm sure the credits don't full reflect his involvement, but each show where he didn't write it himself has a specific person who DID write each episode script. Every one is accounted for.
>>
>>14676134

Also, if you pay close attention, stuff he is credited for feels very different than stuff he isn't. Yes, there are similarities and similar themes, but everything he directly wrote throws traditional anime pacing and structure almost completely out the window for something which flows somewhere between the pacing of a live action film, and a documentary. That's why G Reco, CCA, the new footage in Zeta's films, and F91 can be so incredibly jarring compared to the rest of the shows. Think about it.
>>
I'm pretty sure he's used pen names to write scripts for episodes of TV shows, since he reportedly doesn't like overshadowing the work of the rest of the staff. Hence why he uses a pen name when he writes songs. What those names are and what episodes they wrote I don't know off hand, but I've seen it discussed on occasion, usually in a thread that, like this, notes his lack of writer credits and I don't think it's far fetched considering that we know he does write and we know he does use pseudonyms. Him only writing one episode of a Gundam TV show prior to G-Reco, and then writing all of that (and being allowed to) seems more far fetched frankly.
>>
>>14676200

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=29367

This adds Zeta episodes 1-16, 18, 21-23, 27 and 31 to his credits. Victory 17 and 45, ZZ scenario for 44 and 47, and Turn A 36.

Personally, I actually think all of those are good episodes, but that's just me.
>>
>>14675997
I wonder if he had more of a hand in VGundam ep. 20. It was really reminiscent of Tomino, with mecha preparation, interpersonal dialogue, and warfare in equal parts. I don't usually pay that close of attention, but it felt really, for lack of a better term, "Gundamcore."
>>
>>14676227

This is the only pen name he's found under. All other writers have written for non-Tomino shows, so they're all seperate people.

Note that most episodes also have individual directors too.
>>
>>14675997
>Zeta: Nothing. Just directed/oversaw things. Writing was shared between half a dozen script writers.
>Zeta Script:
Hiroshi Ohnogi (6 episodes)
Meigo Endo (18 episodes)
Miho Maruo (5 episodes)
>Minoru Yokitani (22 episodes)
Tomoko Kawasaki (ep 3)
Yasushi Hirano (ep 12)
Yumiko Suzuki (18 episodes)
>>
>>14676140
I think that like most creative people in charge of large productions, Tomino needs someone to occasionally "reign him in."

I agree with him being a fantastic world builder and great at general character building, but when it comes to the nitty gritty of scripts he definitely needs a strong editor, I think.
>>
File: 1454183664043.jpg (197KB, 654x640px) Image search: [Google]
1454183664043.jpg
197KB, 654x640px
>>14676102
Actually, when it come out, everyone said it was bad (even /m/)

Only few years later, people start to say it was really good show.
>>
>>14676405
>Actually, when it come out, everyone said it was bad (even /m/)

/m/ didn't even exist until after SEED, dumbass.
>>
>>14676439
4chan didn't even exist in '99.

I guess that guy is going for the lazy ass "say something factually wrong, go LOL EPICALLY OWNED if someone points it out" trolling method
>>
>>14676439
I think he means the first years of /m/, when a lot of people didn't know about/watch the show.
>>
>>14675997
Your problem is that you don't understand anime production roles and how credits work.
>>
>>14676134
The director of a show has input on everything in the production, from animation to yes, screenwriting. A lot of work doesn't get credited because it would be redundant.
>>
>>14676447
Tons of people already saw and loved the show in 2004. So no, he's totally wrong.
>>
>>14676329
Most people aren't really familiar with Minoru Yokitani as being Tomino's alias.

The more popular alias is Rin Iogi.

I wonder if he had any other pseudonyms.
>>
>>14676543
>I wonder if he had any other pseudonyms.
Didn't he use another one for her dubbing work on G-Reco?
>>
>>14676102
It has just as many weird lines though
Guin's comment about skirts to borjarnon generates far more confusion than 'the world is not square'
>>
>>14676145
To be honest i find it rare that Tomino completely loses me with dialogue. Yes there are some weird lines but there are a million reasons why that could be the case
>>
>>14675997
Being a director he has the ability to tell actors to change lines, he directs them on line delivery (this is why Tomino shows have weird frantic non-dramtic voice acting) and can basically cut things from the script at will and perhaps most importanty he gets to tell writers how to write characters. The dialogue may not be his but he can tell a writer 'this woman wants the main character to be her child.' and the script must be written around his insanity.

A lot is attributed to the writing but logically his chaotic directing must be causes the shows to turn out so wonky.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.