[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Introduce in IBO a team that has access to beam weapons. How

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 7

Introduce in IBO a team that has access to beam weapons. How fucked up is the cast?
>>
>>14674184
Depends. Despite how Gundam likes to treat beam weaponry, it's not the end-all be-all of weapons. Real-world research into directed energy weapons has shown that beams are hard to keep coherent over range, and it actually takes more energy from a beam to cause damage than it would from a solid projectile. It's just that it's easier to add energy to a beam than it is to a projectile, so they theoretically could be very damaging. Just on their own, beam weapons would not necessarily be any better than the kinetic weapons already used in IBO, and might be in many ways worse. Given that nano-laminate is stated to be good against incendiary weapons, it probably has good properties against thermal damage as well as kinetic.
>>
>>14674184
Assuming no further BS on either side, the IBO group is royally fucked, unless the beam wielding unit is either a battery-powered unit like SEED MS or early beam-weapon equipped UC MS where beam weapons took forever to recharge and wasn't directly powered off the reactor.

For one, the IBO-verse have no real anti-beam defense. The most they can do is just armor up like Gusion and hope it can spread the damage over a larger surface area.

Of course, pilot skill counts too, and a mook in a UC Jegan would likely lose out to the melee-centric Gundams helmed by manchild soldiers.
>>
>>14674184
>Given that nano-laminate is stated to be good against incendiary weapons, it probably has good properties against thermal damage as well as kinetic.

Actually, we have something about that. In the show itself, it's stated that NLA can be burned off. If I recall correctly, prolonged exposure to napalm would do the trick. If it's normal napalm, that puts it between 1500-2000 degrees Fahrenheit.

Compare this to the Zaku, which is armed with a super hard steel alloy. Steel melts at around 2500 degrees Fahrenheit.

> But that Graze Mika rode in on survived reentry

From the looks of it, there was some melting going on with the Graze despite it not breaking into pieces. A space shuttle going through reentry will face temperatures around 3000 degrees.

Want to know what also survived reentry? The RX78's shield (at least in the movie). Sure, Amuro did have to throw it away afterwards but it did the trick. The shield itself was more durable than the Gundam's Lunar Titantium body and you want to know what was enough to cut through that shield? Zeon heat weapons.
>>
>>14674403
What if it's super duper napalm
>>
>>14674184
Nigger, they would get fucked if someone with a actual flight pack and long range weaponry appeared
>>
>>14674184
That would be a pretty cool twist in season 2. The final boss is simply a mobile suit or two that can use beam weaponry. Turn something we normally take for granted into a real threat for the characters.
Wonder if they'd pull something like that.
>>
>>14674594
They'll do the same thing they've done for the past decade.

It'll be a not-zeong that breaks apart into not-rx-78.
>>
>>14674238
In Zeta we already see UC beam weaponry are capable of overpowering and pushing back MS that are thrusting forward. The Nahel Argama even pushes the Palau halves around with minimal power.
>>
>>14674568
The Gundam had a weapon called Super Napalm but it's only used to destroy the wrecked Guncannon and Guntank spares in the beginning of MSG. If that stuff really destroyed Gundarium it's hot stuff.

>>14674403
>Want to know what also survived reentry? The RX78's shield (at least in the movie). Sure, Amuro did have to throw it away afterwards but it did the trick. The shield itself was more durable than the Gundam's Lunar Titantium body and you want to know what was enough to cut through that shield? Zeon heat weapons.
The shield was cooled by some sort of special coolant from the crotch piece. The shield did survive but it was cooled in the first place.
>>
>>14674616
Yes, and a sufficiently powerful kinetic weapon would do the exact same thing. I'm not saying that Gundam doesn't tend to have powerful beam weapons. I'm saying that there's no automatic reason to assume that beam weapons would be powerful.
>>
>>14674184
Hell let them fight something with Shield bits or funnels and their fucked
>>
>>14674630
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB_xnSULiIM&t=0m55s
>>
Minovsky or GN Particles, I don't think they have much of a chance.
>>
>>14674184
I thought they said pre-airing that beams are useless against mobile suits unless fired by ships or something.

So I would assume near useless and Mikazuki is just going to solo everyone anyway.
>>
File: Re-Entry Condom.jpg (74KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Re-Entry Condom.jpg
74KB, 960x720px
>>14674403
In the series it uses the Re-Entry Condom and has lost its shield.
>>
>>14674607
Only unicorn did that,00 kinda did but the reborns was more of a guntank.
>>
>>14674847
>The Guntank has a reentry shroud
>it doesn't have hands to deploy it though
Guntank Owned Counter +1
>>
>>14674833
What you heard is a combination of two different things, namely that there isn't beam weapons and that the NLA made MS guns useless. People took that to mean NLA made beams obsolete when really the setting didn't have them.

>>14674847
>>14674630

Okay, barring that we do know of another MS with Lunar Titanium. The Zeta Gundam, a machine we've seen performing reentry unassisted multiple times. And each time it was in working condition afterwards.

TFW a GM's beam spray gun would rip Barbatos apart.
>>
>>14675031
I think you're confusing Gundam's Yamcha for it's real Krillin, the Guncannon.
>>
>>14675078
You notice that big ass backpack the Zeta wears? Yeah that is a big fucking wing/heat shield for re-entry. So yeah, it is hardly normal operations for an MS. Every other MS of the era had to ride down on a ballute or Flying Armor.
>>
>>14674580
No, long range weaponry won't work. You have to be up close to penetrate nano-laminate armor. Yes, that makes no sense but it's still stated in the show.
>>
>>14675011
>reborns was more of a guntank.
>>
>>14675153
>nuh uh, no gun can ever penetrate nanolaminate armor
>no gun will ever hit as hard as a mobile suit swinging a sword

seriously, fuck the show
>>
>>14674691
>I'm saying that there's no automatic reason to assume that beam weapons would be powerful.
>>
>>14676147
For all we know, beam weapons might have been abandoned centuries ago because NL armor renders them ineffective.
>>
>>14674691

Dude, I don't think you get it.

See, the reason why UC Gundam even bothers with Mobile Suits is because of the sheer power of beam weaponry. It turns out that a Beam Rifle has immense firepower. It's as powerful as one of a ship's guns, and a well-placed shot will rip through a battleship.

This causes the paradigm of warfare to change, and it actually makes the Gundam viable. A single Gundam armed with beam weaponry (Or just one rifle) is a lot harder to hit and a lot more efficient than a whole fleet of ships.

Remember, Minnosky particles means that radar and homing weapons don't work as well in UC. The best guided weapons are the ones that are controlled by Newtypes.

Even stupidly large Mobile Weapons are still smaller than ships, and can boast even more firepower. Battleships become absolutely useless except as a supply dock/ferrying Mobile Suits around.

It's Scissors/Paper/Rocket Launcher.
>>
File: 1464224082643.jpg (6KB, 175x171px) Image search: [Google]
1464224082643.jpg
6KB, 175x171px
>>14675354
Whoever thought to make the armor in IBO stronger than fucking gundanium but with the plot convenience of phase shift is more retarded than half the shitposters on /m/
>>
>>14676697
Eh...not exactly.
The first deployment of mobile suits predates the development of the MS-sized beam rifle. Loum showed that mobile suits could wreck battleships because of their relatively small size and high mobility even when using conventional weaponry against battleships equipped with beam weapons. The Gundam's beam rifle just took that one step further so it had the small size and high maneuverability of a mobile suit AND the power of a battleship weapon, which is why it dominated the Zaku.
>>
>>14674184
Is the OP suggesting Celestial Being? Because if he is then the answer is simple.
Clean house.
Even the S1 suits would be more than enough.
>>
>>14674238
Real life and Gundam are two entirely different things
>>
>>14675153
Isn't that just down to a lack of firepower on the part of the mobile suits in IBO?
>>
So this is the next-season upgrade to the main character's gundam in the new IBO huh? Pretty meh.

Looks like he gets rid of his fun giant club/wrench in exchange for a club more in the shape of a sword.
At least its not switching to the damn katana as his main weapon at least.
>>
>>14677959
It's basically a tetsubo, which is fitting as it's a weapon commonly associated with Demons in Japanese mythology.
>>
>>14677934
That would only make sense in an atmosphere. In space a projectile won't lose kinetic energy over distance, but they still say you have to be close to damage it. As I said, it doesn't make sense.
>>
>>14678041
It's suggested in some dialog during the Brewers incident that ahab reactors do really weird things to gravity.

The gravity distortions over sufficiently long distances would disrupt a projectile's trajectory such that it loses efficiency and fails to penetrate a given nanolaminate-armored surface.
>>
>>14678041
No, I'm saying IBO MS are lacking in ranged firepower compared to other settings.

The RX-78 might be near-impervious to fire from a zaku machine-gun but that doesn't mean Lunar Titanium can withstand the likes of a beam cannon.
>>
>>14678094
Okay, let me try that again:

In the vaccuum of space, a pistol will do the same damage at 60 miles as it will at 100 yards. All projectile weapons are long ranged in space. It's not like in an atmosphere where a rifle needs to be really, really powerful to have damage and accuracy at two miles.
>>
>>14678122
>>14678041
What in the blue hell are you even talking about.

That has absolutely nothing to do with the statement that IBO mobile suits have inferior ranged fire power to those of other universes. They have inferior guns because the writers are obsessed with evoking knightly combat and don't give their MS the kind of guns the kind of ranged weaponry you see in other gundam series, most notably any sort of beam weapons.

Repeating it doesn't change that original error.
>>
>>14678138
Okay, when you said "lack of ranged weaponry" you meant "lack of beam weaponry".
I responed to what you SAID, not what you THOUGHT.
>>
>>14677959
I like it more than regular Barbatos. It gives it a more knightly look especially with the shoulder armor.
>>
>>14678155
>How did you misread it such?
Saying mobile suits are lacking in the ranged combat department compared to other Gundam universes is such a major part of IBO's design there's no other way to take it.
>They barely have any guns even not taking account the lack of beams weapons, all they have are basically machineguns and smoothbore cannons. You'd see that stuff on an Anf, even a bog-standard Zaku II has more options.
>>
>>14678195
Simple, really.
The statement in question was that you had to be close for (projectile) weapons to be effective.
The fact that the comment referred to projectiles and the reply did not mention beams gave me no reason to assume you were bringing beams into a beamless universe. It read as if you were saying the IBO suits had weak projectile weapons.

Let me compound the original comment into your clarified reply so you can see how it makes no sense:

>but isn't the fact that you have to be close for projectiles to do damage just because (IBO has no beams)?

See that? You weren't talking about the same thing I was, and you're acting like the fact that you didn't say anything about beams is my "original error" so basically fuck you.
>>
the IBO universe is almost as shit as the cosmic era in terms of shitty tech gimmicks, the only reason they get a slight pass as a universe is because at least they have yet to literally reuse UC designs with the same same damn names but a bunch of ugly crap stuck to it.
>>
Honestly Iron Blooded Orphans is barely even a Gundam series.

Its pretty much a different show but with the Gundam brand slapped on it for marketing purposes.

Whats tying it to the franchise, the fact the 72 magical super frames with thier double reactors are called 'Gundam' frames and the generic terms of the mechs is mobile suits? Change those two names/terms and it could be any series.

With the official word being the universe will never have beams weapons and such an extreme focus on physical melee weapon combat its not like it has much in the way of Gundam staples.

Even G-Gundam as a super robot show where Gundams were used in a fighting competition as an alternative to outright war between the space colony nations had more actual Gundam spirit and ties in it.
>>
>>14678279
So you want a rehash?
>>
>>14678279
Beam weapons are kind of rare even in UC, anon..

hence the "HOLY SHIT THEY'RE USING BEAM WEAPONS" spiel from the Zekes pretty much any time they show up.

I think your standard of what makes a Gundam show a Gundam show is more than a little fucking silly.
>>
Some translation from the hg kit:
>Gamma Nanolaminate Sword: When compressed Ahab Particles are transmitted to the sword via the connecting cable, a gamma nanolaminate reaction is induced on the blade's surface, which has a special nanolaminate structure. The gamma nanolaminate active blade can destroy the nano laminate structure of MS and ships' armor when they come into contact. In theory, this can be considered an extremely powerful weapon. However, as the compression technology for Ahab Particles lack stability, even at a time when the technology allows for the development of the Gundam Frame, there is only a few successful cases/examples. This technology is now completely lost.

>Sledge Hammer: A striking weapon that also serves as the Gamma Nanolaminate Sword's sheath. In this state, it is an excellent weapon as it is easy to wield. Mountable on the side skirt.

>Shotgun: Main shooting weapon, has short effective range. For machines that excel at using high mobility to approach enemy at a rapid pace, the shotgun can be utilized effectively as a mid-range weapon.

So does it work like the gn sword or something?
>>
>>14680243
>>14680243
>hg gundam astaroth origin
>>
>>14680243
Oh god, he is actually going to use a katana as his weapon from now on, and it will be the 'ultimate' weapon. Fuck this shit.
>>
File: 3f521_IMG_2563.jpg (66KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
3f521_IMG_2563.jpg
66KB, 640x427px
>>14674797
The Gundam had quite alot of weapons.

Head Vulcans, Multiple Beam Sabers, Beam Javelin, Gundam/Hyper Hammer, Beam rifle, Gundam Bazooka, Super Napalm
>>
File: 01Ph001.jpg (87KB, 639x800px) Image search: [Google]
01Ph001.jpg
87KB, 639x800px
>>14680333
That's not from the new barbatos, its from Astaroth Origin.
>>
>>14680349
Well that's alright then.
>>
>How fucked up is the cast?
the same as Zeon for all of MSG. It doesn't matter because plot armour.

They've said multiple times that IBO wont have Beam weapons, and it's one of the few good decisions they made.
>>
>>14680341
Does it use the Super Napalm in the movies, or Origin? It only used it once in the TV series, the first episode.
>>
>>14674238
We are talking about a series where Ahad reactors not only act as minoskvy particles but also control gravitons.
Beam weaponry being lostech until Clans of Pluto invade earth sphere is something not out of scope for IBO.
>>
>>14674238
Beam weapons in Gundam are massive particle beams, not electromagnetic beams as you seem to be talking about.
>>
>>14680243
So, they are essentially trying to ape what the GN-Particles did to the gundams in 00?
>>
>>14680243

Shit, it would had been awesome to have railguns with gamma nanolaminate rounds. Literal beamspam.
>>
>>14680056
>Beam weapons are kind of rare even in UC, anon..
Not since the GM was mass produced.
>>
>>14681860
Apparently.
>>
>>14683560
Not until Star One/Solomon. Otherwise it's just the saber. Hardly the mainstay of their force till that time.

I'll grant you pretty much any of the other UC series, but for a considerable portion of the OYW (literally until it's last few months) and the first Gundam series, having one equipped on a mobile suit was unheard of outside a few individual examples yet to be put into production
>>
>>14680349
Why isn't this the main ms?
>>
>>14674184
00 fucks up most universes it comes across.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.