[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Italy and Mecha popularity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 134
Thread images: 27

File: itlarge.gif (2KB, 448x297px) Image search: [Google]
itlarge.gif
2KB, 448x297px
Is there any reason for it? Italy seems to be the place it's most popular outside of Japan to the point that series which fail in Japan still seem popular there. Spain seem to like mech a lot too.
>>
Dunno but Mazinkaiser >>>> Goldrake
That should summon the Italian
>>
>>14673137
>Is there any reason for it? Italy seems to be the place it's most popular outside of Japan to the point that series which fail in Japan still seem popular there. Spain seem to like mech a lot too.

No Italy doesn't love mecha. What Italy loves, or at least the 40+ year old generation is the mecha anime they saw when they were young in the late seventies, early eighties on tv. This "old" generation doesn't like anything outside of old Nagai shows and 0079 Gundam. That is it.
They have no concept of Takahashi mecha, other important series done by Tomino etc... They are ignorant of 30+ years of mecha anime from the eighties onwards.
>>
They licensed a lot of titles back in the 70s, afaik.
>>
>Spain seem to like mech a lot too.

They only like Mazinger. Most other mecha shows (and even a wide variety of anime in general) have like no presence there.
>>
>>14673156
Surely they like Goondumb Wind with a hype-OP like this
https://youtu.be/iNj5UaE6SAc
>>
>>14673156
Stuff like Daitarn 3 is pretty popular there compared to everywhere else, even Japan. But I agree it's all 70s.

Is there any reason that did get so much of it localised?
>>
>>14673156
They do know of Trider G7, God Sigma, Baldios and Time Bokan spin-offs, at least.
>>
>>14673184
>Is there any reason that did get so much of it localised?

Local tv stations were buying anime by the bucketloads in the seventies and early eighties so broadcasters could fill their timeslots with cheap very cheap content. Most of it was localised, but of course the localisation was shit. People complain about english dubs of anime, well if you've ever heard an italian dub of anime from the 70s/80s you'd be suprised as it is way more shittier than any english dub. Those old italian dubs are literally invented and don't follow the original japanese script.
>>
>>14673275
Makes sense to some degree, so localised is probably the wrong word for it. I've heard of similar stuff being done with other shows but I can't think of any off the top of my head.
>>
>>14673137

I don't have a lot of precise info cos I never lived there. My parents moved to Italy recently. And I gotta say, while there is a big nostalgia factor, there is definitely a market for mecha stuff. Every time I go there I pick up a LOT of /m/ manga. They have published everything Mazinger, Getter Robo, Five Star Stories, Gundam... there's just a huge manga market in Italy.

Why is that? When did it start? What's its history? Sadly, these things I don't know because while I speak Italian and I'm part of the diaspora, I've never lived there nor do I have Italian friends who are anime fans, sadly. I'd be super into knowing that history too, anon.
>>
File: goldrake.jpg (19KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
goldrake.jpg
19KB, 480x360px
let's summon italian anons and see what they say. pic related to summon italian /m/en
>>
>>14673168
Spain's the only European country that prefers Mazinger Z to Grendizer because they were the only country that got Mazinger first, right?
>>
>>14673299
I thought it was Mexico which loved it? Guess Spain comes hand in hand but yeah.
>>
>>14673168
Jeeg was popular enough to get that one not-/m/ live action film.
>>
Armored Core Last Raven is almost impossible to find outside of Italy and Spain for the EU actually. There's obviously more love for general /m/ stuff than other yuros.
>>
>>14673275
>Those old italian dubs are literally invented and don't follow the original japanese script.
Confirmed for not knowing what the fuck you're talking about.
List one time this happened except the ultra censored Mediaset adaptations from the 90's.
>>
>>14673898
the original 0079 dub is totally fucked up, also it was done illegally
the mediaset gundam wing dub is surprisingly good in my opinion, they even stopped censoring after 15 or so episodes, compared to the english dub it's a masterpiece
>>
Explains why I got the ZZ manga and CDA in Italy
>>
>>14673156
Because they don't care, and it's just nostalgia based on what was on TV at the time.

To them, it's just "those old shows" and that makes sense.
>>
>>14673137
>>14673275
>>14673286

Grendizer has been the first anime ever aired there(except maybe Heidi?).
Before it, there were mostly shows like Looney Toons.
You can imagine the quality jump in animation and storytelling.

Because the massive success, Italy started to buy more anime, especially robot anime, as they were super-cheap. They were localised cheaply, too, so most dub weren't really good.

This was especially true once local private television networks were possible.

this stopped in late-90s, for a number of complex reasons.

The manga market did start in the late 80s\early 90s, mostly by young anime fan.
Because manga were DIFFERENT from the usual comics published in Italy(mostly Disney, Bonelli and American Capes) it was a success, especially with giant-hits like Dragonball on national TV in the mid-90s.
It did help the anime on Mediaset had censored a lot of things, so they could sell more manga "uncensored!!"

the bubble did since deflated, but the variety of genres and stories in manga makes them still a viable market

>>14673898
Actually, having a screenplay in broken english was a godsend back in the 70s\80s, MANY series came without one, and as much had incomplete or inintelligibile ones.
>>
>>14673156
>and 0079 Gundam.
It is not THAT popular tough. Not like Goldrake at least.

>other important series done by Tomino etc
Daitarn is well known.
>>
>>14674014
Star Comics and old Planet Manga being based.

Also we have got Thunderbolt and The Origin years ago.
>>
The italians have always been big on machinery. See futurism or their car industry.
>>
>>14673137
Italy did get a lot of mecha shows, seemingly more than us Americans got. I mention this a lot, but Dragonar is of course one of them, the Italian subs make translating a lot easier (and Gorge, if you're around, I'll release episode 23 soon). I'm not sure if mecha in particular is popular in Italy, though, as opposed to anime more generally...IIRC Hokuto no Ken was -huge- there. Anons tell me Kenshiro is as well known among Italian guys growing up in the 1980s as Optimus Prime is in the U.S.
>>
>>14673293
Grendizer was the first anime I ever watched. I was 4 or 5 years old. Don't remember much, except that I learned swearing from it and that my grandmother thought the robot design was preposterous.
>>
File: robopresepe.jpg (721KB, 2001x1375px) Image search: [Google]
robopresepe.jpg
721KB, 2001x1375px
>>14673137

The answer is quite simple: Italy is a very religious country.

For Christmas, the kids and their parents build the "presepe" (a diorama of the birth of Christ) together and decorate it with with biblical figures and giant robots, as the tradition dictates from time immemorial.

Making the presepe is a very fun activity, and this strengthens the love for figures and giant robots in the minds of the young ones.

Pic obviously related, and proof of thruth of my explanation.
>>
>>14673137
I dislike how nobody ever wants to ask about Sahibs and robot anime.

Oh sure, go ahead and ask Italy.

I'm sure they'll provide a fun thread.

Eat shit, Italy.
You, too, France.
>>
>>14676474
>The answer is quite simple: Italy is a very religious country.
But we don't have Creationists pushing to teach Bible during Science classes.
>>
>>14676488
How many did you get?
>>
>>14676503
That's probably because catholic countries tend to have mandatory classes on the RC faith already.
>>
>>14676508
The are not mandatory. In many schools you can get out during that particular class.
>>
File: goldrakeovomaltina.jpg (112KB, 728x510px) Image search: [Google]
goldrakeovomaltina.jpg
112KB, 728x510px
>>14676503
True, but we do have parents putting giant robots in the presepe, following what St. Paul said in his Fifht Letter to the Ephesians:

"And Lo, let thy kids playeth with the Giant Robots, for they are one of the finest creations of the Lord, and definitely pretty rad. Also, don't forget to drink your Ovaltine."

Pic doubly biblically related.
>>
File: 1383703584722.gif (879KB, 352x264px) Image search: [Google]
1383703584722.gif
879KB, 352x264px
>>14676517
>for they are one of the finest creations of the Lord
>>
>>14676517
>I want an official Soul of Chogokin Space Thunder-action Double Harken model Grendizer
>>
>>14676517
Wasn't Italy the place that gave us that Super Robot Wars Nativity comic with Dai X and a ton of others
>>
>>14676503
>>14676508
Also, I think creationism is more closely tied to Protestantism than Catholicism. I'm reading some books on Thomas Aquinas, the influential Catholic saint, and it seems his theories (and by extension, Catholicism's) lend themselves better to a more metaphorical reading of the Bible than the sort of literalism creationists rely on.
>>
>>14676506
Everything Europe, South America, and North America got with a few minor exceptions.
>>
>>14673898

The hell are you saying? If you lived in Italy you should know VERY well how the dubbing situation was.

Well, here's just a short list for you but it's longer:

Daitarn 3 (redubbed)
Zambot 3 (redubbed)
Gundam 0079 (redubbed)
Godam.
Grendizer (redubbed)
Voltes 5.

With the redub we had the proof of how much was very wrong in the first old dub, and with subtitles it was even clearer.
The same goes for many others shows, even not /m/ (is Galaxy Express 999 /m/? lol)
>>
>>14676566
Galaxy Express is /m/ as fuck. Matsumoto, spaceships, androids, etc.
>>
>>14676440
>IIRC Hokuto no Ken was -huge- there. Anons tell me Kenshiro is as well known among Italian guys growing up in the 1980s as Optimus Prime is in the U.S.
HnK was huge in Italy but it was a phenomenon in France. France is the only place where HnK became as big as it was in Japan.
>>
One time when I visited Italy I've seen a collectable edition with figures named "World of Go Nagai". Sadly the issue was with the figure that didn't interest me very much.
>>
>>14676503
>>14676529
anti-science sentiments always been more a Protestant thing than a Catholic one: the Church sees sciences as a way to better understand the world, which is a good thing.

Also the having spent many centuries in coordinated efforts to better analyse and understand the Bible, it made obvious to everybody there were contradictions and inconsistencies which resulted in the formal stance "God trusts us understanding it's just metaphors"

...then with Protestantism, everybody else started to read the Bible by themselves without leaning on the previous reasoning made by other people(especially Catholics! they were corrupt therefore their reasoning false!) which basically did reset Christian Theology to stone age, for them.

>>14676508
>>14676511
can't speak for other countries, but in Italy the Religion Education class(1 hour\week) is optional in public schools(which in Italy are something like 90% of the schools, probably more)
>>
>>14676595
They tried for a german release during the 00s, but it predictably bombed hard.
>>
File: Starzinger 4.jpg (551KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Starzinger 4.jpg
551KB, 1920x1080px
>>14676474
I want the Jan Coogo
>>
>>14676595
>HnK was huge in Italy but it was a phenomenon in France. France is the only place where HnK became as big as it was in Japan.

Goldorak or Albator were phenomenon in France. Not HnK.
I remember when it first aired on french tv, on TF1 on club dorothee. They took it off the air after a couple episodes because it was to violent (ha ha ha ha ha). After that, the powers that be basically invented a comic script and used that for HnK. It literally became a comedy in french, with lots of french word jokes and the like. A real travesty to such a great manly anime.
In Italy on the other hand, the series while dubbed entirely with only a couple of actors, had a pretty faithful script to the original japanese. The series aired on local tv stations for almost 20 years. That's right, from the 1980s up until the late 1990s. The whole series, 150+ episodes were broadcast. It's fair to say an entire generation of italian kids were brought up on the adventures of Kenshiro.
>>
>>14676440
Lupin III is a national institution over there. I ran into a tattoo parlor over there with Jigen's face plastered on the signboard.
>>
>>14676474
Fuck yeah, X Bomber.
>>
>>14676535
You remember any show involving a Princess protagonist old man? I've got a colleague at work who grew up in Egypt and she remembers watching Mazinger Z and this other show she can't recall the name of.
>>
>>14676528
Sasuga renaissance country
>>
File: jojo1994.jpg (65KB, 396x600px) Image search: [Google]
jojo1994.jpg
65KB, 396x600px
>>14676355
Not to mention us literally growing up on JoJo, manga is profitable here.
>>
A confirmation of all the stuff you previously said is that Linebarrels ceased publications after vol 11.
Damn...
>>
File: canvas.png (8KB, 285x177px) Image search: [Google]
canvas.png
8KB, 285x177px
>>14673137
>the place it's most popular outside of Japan to the point that series which fail in Japan still seem popular there.

You just described the US.

Lrn2geography.
>>
>>14676503
Young Earth Creationism is a protestant thing.
>>
>>14678267
Mediaset bought LIFELONG rights to the Lupin III tv series, and most likely has a priority option to buy anything Lupin related

.>>14678098
>had a pretty faithful script to the original japanese
with the limits of incomplete\broken english\straight japanese\sometime missing scripts. They had to make up a lot of bullshit because that.

Also, it was often aired alongside Saint Seiya and Tiger Mask right before dinner.
>>
>>14676474
I still have somewhere the complete Gattiger (with its fuckhorrible package) and that componible GodSigma
>>
>>14676596
You can find that kind of things everywhere and everytime there's a "manga" convention/fair/whatever it's called here, I'm in a small town near Venice and from spring to autumn there are always at least 4-5 of those conventions about manga, comics and there's always a fuckton of 80's mecha and western cartoons (everyone has a boner for He-Man here) related things.
>>
Remember that part in the Bible where all the 70s Super Robots came to see Baby Jesus in Bethlehem? I don't know what these fedora tipping atheists are all griping about. They're probably just mad because they don't believe in GodSigma.
>>
File: mirai no tameni.jpg (65KB, 419x260px) Image search: [Google]
mirai no tameni.jpg
65KB, 419x260px
>>14683697
sounds like some 00 gundam UNDERSTANDING shit
>>
>>14676440
Lupin III, Dragonball Z and HnK are still huge over here.

Tiger Mask, City Hunter, Ranma 1/2, Ultraman and 70s mecha are well-known among the 30-40yos, while 80s mecha shows (e.g. Trider G7 or God Mars) aren't as popular.

Younger generations are big on DBZ clones like One Piece or Naruto, but that's mostly because they've been aired non stop since the late 90s. We've hardly had new mecha anime as of late: not even Evangelion is very well known among people in their late 20s/early 30s.

Mtv used to show new anime weekly up until 10 years ago but even then we only got minor mecha shows like Aquarion or Last Exile.

A distributor (Dynit) tried to bring the Gundam fad over here by dubbing most of the UC movies (0079, Zeta ANT, CCA, F91, 0083) and Endless Waltz but I don't think anyone gave a fuck.
>>
>>14676474
>no Daltanious
WHAT BLASPHEMY IS THIS
>>
>>14684122
I gotta ask, how do Italians like Jojo? Given that part 5 was set in Italy, I thought you guys would really like it.
>>
>>14673137

Spainfag here.
I can confirm that the only /m/ show that pretty much everyone knows (I'm talking about 30-35 year old people at their very lowest) is Mazinger, which got cut halfway from parent complaints. It, "Heidi" and "3000 leagues in search of mother" form some sort of anime holy trinity for older people. I can't remember another Mecha anime that got anything more than cult status.

I can't complain about quantity of imported anime/manga, though. It was a pretty big market/viewing demographic for children-teens from mid-80s to very late 00s. It seems like nowadays there's no market in TV for it other than awfully-dubbed Doraemon reruns, internet subs pretty much killed all interest.

Then again, I discovered recently that shows like Ultraman, Ultraseven and Winspector got complete runs here and no one gave a damn.
>>
File: MazingerSanchis-7.jpg (67KB, 350x468px) Image search: [Google]
MazingerSanchis-7.jpg
67KB, 350x468px
>>14686890
Then there's the anecdote of a Taiwanese localisation of the Mach Baron feature film getting dubbed as "Mazinger Z, the robot from the stars". It even got a freaking comic adaptation, not joking.

As far as I can tell, bloggers that saw it when they were children say that no one got fooled.
>>
File: 1064.jpg (363KB, 1100x880px) Image search: [Google]
1064.jpg
363KB, 1100x880px
>>14686907
>Then there's the anecdote of a Taiwanese localisation of the Mach Baron feature film getting dubbed as "Mazinger Z, the robot from the stars".
I'm pretty sure I have that on DVD. I've upped some MB thing that was dubbed in Spanish as Mazinger, dunno if it's Taiwan.

Wonder if it's from the same people that made those Taiwan KR movie adaptations that Germany got after Inframan.

I think I've uploaded the ISO to mega but I don't see a link quickly in desuarchive. I might have put a link in the big download link thread over on 8/m/.

I'm at work so I can't check there since the nsfw banners can get waaaaaaaaaay nsfw
>>
File: 8136651462_365e5dd14b_z.jpg (234KB, 640x425px) Image search: [Google]
8136651462_365e5dd14b_z.jpg
234KB, 640x425px
>>14687072
>Wonder if it's from the same people that made those Taiwan KR movie adaptations that Germany got after Inframan.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they're related, since the German version of the film shares the same name ( Roboter derSterne = El Robot de las Estrellas) and got released two years later (1976 in Germany, 1978 in Spain). They only changed Mach Baron and Lalastein's names to Mazinger and Dr. Hell, the dubbers didn't even bother changing any other character's Taiwanese names. Forget about Koji Kabuto, it's all about a nobody called Tien Yu!

Pic related: Spain's own not-giant Mazinger Z statue.
>>
>>14687291
Okay I got to a different office so I could check. I was right, I uploaded it a while back. Here's the iso of the dvd I got at a Walgreens:

Mazinger Z (Spanish dub of a Baron) iso
https://mega.co.nz/#F!qIhECZ7A!4_lWvVArUE6ikBpks1KyOw
>>
>>14683714
A translation:

"And in the end everyone gathered around Baby Jesus' hut.

All the beings from the Earth and the universe, from worlds near and far, but everyone guided by the same thought and by the same feeling: Fraternity and Peace.

For they all have finally UNDERSTOOD that only with solidarity and love there will be peace and serenity, not only on Earth, but in all of the Universe!

Merry Christmas, kids!"

Yep, it's definitely UNDERSTANDING.
>>
>>14683697

Ave Maria, Vergine de Gundamlupe
>>
>>14687403
>Yep, it's definitely UNDERSTANDING.

Why is there such hate for UNDERSTANDING ?
All the problems in our wretched world stem from people not wanting to understand one another. And this gives rise to genocides, wars, racism, resource hoarding....you name it.
>>
>>14673137
Matsumoto's stuff, Grendizer and Mazinger were huge over here, but curiously we never got some other stuff like Gendum outside of 0079 and Wing, VOTOMS, Galient, and so on, most shows by Tomino never got here as well, Xabungle, Ideon, Dunbine...
Basically, Italy in the 70's/80's was all about Tatsunoko and Toeizingers, at least regarding anime, we did get the occasional curiosities like Samurai Troopers, Ginguiser and a few other things like Godsigma, but mecha anime wasn't really as big as you would like to think, better than the non-european market, but that's not saying much.
What we did have in terms of anime was Shoujo stuff, you would never believe the crazy amount of Shoujo anime we got and I pity the soul who didn't grow up with pic related. Then of course, there was Lupin, a lot of cool stuff like Ashita no Joe, Tiger Mask, Bem or HnK.
Oh, and we also got quite a lot of Toku, even kind of obscure ones like Megaloman, never really understood how we even got those things.

Then came the 90's with the Slayers and Mahou Shoujo explosion, good times, brings tears to my eyes really.

What you should look at here was the manga market though, we grew up with JoJo which is only now getting popular worlwide, lots of cool minor /m/ stuff like Wingman/Shadow Lady, The Last Man, even if our market quality kind of declined since the late 90's we're still in great shape when it comes to manga, though I noticed that Germoney has caught up in the last decade, I'm really happy for them although I don't get why their volumes are so costly, they cost roughly double the amount of our volumes and they aren't really better in terms of paper or covers.
>>14676488
Afendi, you break my heart.
>>14684925
>how do Italians like Jojo?
For people in their 30's it was pretty fucking big, JoJo was one of the bestseller shonen here, arguably one of Star Comics' biggest publications, I can still remember the Jotaro VS Kenshiro arguments in school.
>>
>>14687538
>I can still remember the Jotaro VS Kenshiro arguments in school.
Haha, that's great. God bless Italy.
>>
File: doc martin.jpg (19KB, 300x224px) Image search: [Google]
doc martin.jpg
19KB, 300x224px
>mfw nobody of your friends watched gundam wing when it aired in 2001
>mfw they still air DBZ but never aired gundam wing ever again
I'm fucking mad at berlusconi
>>
>>14688442
>people blow each other up all the time in DBZ
>people actually die in DBZ, they just so happen to be revived
>meanwhile Heero and Trowa survive getting blown up multiple times, and Heero promises to kill anyone be meets but never goes through with it
>wing gets censored

Fucking idiot censorship.
>>
File: I am here.png (879KB, 960x544px) Image search: [Google]
I am here.png
879KB, 960x544px
>>14673137

Italy was part of the AXIS alliance in WWII... we developed mecha along side our Germans and Japanese comrades. They are waiting in reserve for WWIII. All roads lead to Rome.

>Why did you post an Irish flag, OP?
>>
>>14689889

For the record...

>Saint Seiya (Knights of The Zodiac) will always be Italia's favorite anime.
>>
>>14676529
Bishop Barron (back when he was just Father Barron), gave a great speech on this topic. I think you'd find it interesting.

The key point that he hits 90 seconds in is that the Bible is a library, not a book, and you need to be sensitive to what section you're in. Watch the whole thing if you have time though.

https://youtu.be/Ha5flTRTZWY
>>
Because, back when the private television became possible in Italy in the early 80s, they basically came with a kit made up of a bunch of tarot readers and assorted quackery, a regional news broadcast nobody cared about, some old movies and lots of crappily made, crappily edited and crappily translated jap shows. Most of them were old robot series, and stuff that couldn't get past the RAI's strict censoring (having Miss Doronjo getting half naked for a few frames basically each episode greatly upset the censors, for instance). The real reason behind the popularity was because they were dirt cheap, and the capillarity of regional broadcasting.
>>
Haha, it looks like someone wrote a paper on this:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/264089012_The_Italian_anime_boom_The_outstanding_success_of_Japanese_animation_in_Italy_1978-1984

I oughta read it when I get some free time.
>>
>>14689872
DBZ was censored in Spain. They cut Freezer killing Krilin in Namek, and I think some scenes of Bulma's tits.
>>
>>14689892
>Saint Seiya (Knights of The Zodiac) will always be Italia's favorite anime.
Just like Latin America
>>
>>14690159
>they basically came with a kit made up of a bunch of tarot readers and assorted quackery
Ahhh, the tarot readers, they still went strong until the mid 90's, kids these days don't know the epic tarot memes of the times such as LA LUNA NERA and the subsequent LA MERDA SECCA.

Though what I miss more than anything is the summer Lupin movie marathons, every summer there was a Lupin movie almost every week, it was godly.
Morning anime, lunch time anime, 16:00 PM anime and even some Lupin movie on top of it, the good times when the kids were divided into Saint Seiya and Samurai Troopers fans, Mazinger vs Goldrake, now you don't have any of this, it's all DBZ and Naruto, none of the kids these days even watched all the cool stuff like Master Mosquiton, Yu Yu Hakusho, Ghost Hunter Mikami, Attacker You!, Corrector Yui...Thank god I still have a few VHS of those.
>>
File: 1395729460737.gif (2MB, 499x280px) Image search: [Google]
1395729460737.gif
2MB, 499x280px
>>14673175
Every fucking time
>>
>>14687428
Mostly because it's never actually written well. Lots of mecha anime just invoke the concept by yelling 'UNDERSTANDING' at the top of their lungs without actually doing the development work necessary to convince the viewers that the characters actually understand each other, leading to this whole meme.

It's more about lazy writing than about the actual substance of the theme itself, basically.
>>
>>14673156
Uhh that still way better than America where everyone is ignorant of almost all mecha
And the fact that the old generation is into that stuff means theres more young people in Italy into the newer mecha than in America
>>
>>14678098
Why are the french such wimps? If it was full of ridiculous raunchy sex they wouldn't even care. Frogs make no fuckin sense
>>
>>14684122
>not even Evangelion is very well known among people in their late 20s/early 30s.
Imagine being an American where everyone believes NGE basically invented mecha
>>
File: YEE.jpg (14KB, 377x377px) Image search: [Google]
YEE.jpg
14KB, 377x377px
FUCK ITALIAN DINOSAURS
>>
File: IMG_20160903_125029.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160903_125029.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>14687339
>>
File: IMG_20160903_125037.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160903_125037.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>14695466
>>
>>14693630
>Why are the french such wimps? If it was full of ridiculous raunchy sex they wouldn't even care. Frogs make no fuckin sense

HnK was broadcast in France as an anime for children. Little kids 6-10 years old. That's why the shitstorm erupted. French do not have a problem with sex, they would show things on prime time tv that would be totally unacceptable to broadcast in the puritanical US of A. On the other hand they tend to have a problem with violence when it's aimed at kids. This was true 30 years ago and I suppose it's still true to this day.
>>
>>14695466
>Wow! $1

That cheap?
>>
>>14697335
yup
I was checking the cheap spanish-language dvds for luchadore movies but was surprised to find super bargain (alleged) Mazinger
>>
>>14676503
Italy is roman-catholic religious, not fucking-stupid religious. The latter has less kiddy raping, but it's still better to be roman-catholic in terms of becoming a not-a-nutbag.
>>
>>14701563
but kiddy diddling tho
>>
>>14689889
>They are waiting in reserve for WWIII.
For what? To be dropped once and never fired?
>>
>girella.exe
Che la lasagna vi inghiotta tutti, subumani di merda
>>
>>14703551
Cos'è una girella? Ne sento spesso parlare ma non capisco mai cosa voglia dire.
Certe volte indicano gente cresciuta con cartoni anni 80, altre volte descrivono gente a cui non garbano titoli moderni, ecc ecc.
>>
>>14695469
>This movie's story deals again with the fight between Good and Evil. In the side of good, our main characters are Professor Lu, created (sic) of Mazinger Z and the guardians of the Stars, a group of young people made of TINYU, driver of Mazinger Z's Flying-Car, LEE, PAIN and LIN, CHANG pilots, with its Flying Bike, and little LUN, younger brother (sic) of LIN, the only female protagonist. Our young friends go through different adventures, putting their lives on the line. On the other side Doctor Hell and his steel bodyguards are the ones who carry out his evil plans to conquer Earth and establish the ROBOT EMPIRE.
>>
>>14705099
And I just noticed 'younger brother' is actually right because the girl is Lin, not Lun. My bad.
>>
>>14705100
>>14705099
neat
>>
>>14705052
Indica quello, il pubblico di nostalgici che preferisce l'adattamento della loro infanzia all'originale
Il problema in breve è che la preponderanza di sta gente nel pubblico e negli addetti ai lavori ha portato ad una stagnazione mortifera del mercato, vedi yamato video con le loro riedizioni ad infinitum fatte alla cazzo
>>
>>14705052
the "Girella" is a snack that in the years 70/80 was very much in vogue.

The derogatory term "Girellaro" means what >> 14705120 says with an addendum: it is not people who simply prefer their childhood versions, something more than legitimate, but they want the new re-editions(and even the various modern remakes!) are made with those old editions as base, wrong names, mistakes and all!

And a correction: the workers tend not to be girellari, they have a different problem: they are prima donnas who think little of the original, so they change dialogues on the spot because they sound better, remove english because it's an italian edition and bullshit like that.

Luckily, people actively working that way are actually few and most just need a "don't change anything from the scripts you are given" to don't bother with changing anything.
Of course, the "right first time" problem of having to dub something(blockbuster movies included!) for the previous week remains...

Yamato Video would need its own thread to bitch about it.
>>
>>14705590
Wow, your anime life is suffering.
>>
>>14705938
Let's put it this way: Yamato doesn't put correct sub even when they know a series has been translated wrong.
>>
>>14705938
>Wow, your anime life is suffering.

Even with all the suffering we get a pearl from time to time. We had a very good (quite faithful) dubbed edition of Brother Dear Brother.
We're also gettting the dubbed/subbed edition of Yamato 2199 this year while Voyager's american version got canned midway. Leaving american fans with the only option of spending 100$ or so per volume to get the Japanese versions.
>>
>>14705959
>We had a very good (quite faithful) dubbed edition of Brother Dear Brother.
IIRC, it had a lot of little translation problems, nothing one notices right away but building up together caused a number of nonsense.

Then again, we have every Ghibli film ever, all of them dubbed the best possible way.
We have both OPM and Prison School dubbed dvd\brd boxs, too, a very short time after getting them legally subbed for free- hell, they are currently available dubbed for free online

Yamato 2199 gets the name Starblazer 2199 only as imposition of the Japanese partners, too.
>>
Is it there a place that collects rips of manga licensed in Italy?
Are there even any rips at all of italian-only translations?
I was looking for Shameless school/Scuola senza pudore but I was not able to find anything. Same for a few other titles. I'd buy the volumes and scan them myself but I live in a shit tier country so the shipping is more expensive than the books themselves which is absolute bullshit.
>>
>>14705938
>your anime life is suffering
Only if you're one of those sad sacks of lame shit that gives a fuck about official license shit. sincerely, who the fuck cares about material translate in our tiny little language in 2016 when you can read free scans online and buy physical goods from the source thanks to internet?
>b-but rare stuff translation
Like what, those shitty Dynamic pro crossovers? most nip material published in Italy is garble
>>14705952
Cos'è sto inglese di merda, hai preso lezioni da sirtao
>>
Sembri il ramezzo
>>
>>14676488
Hey vaffanculo man
>>
>>14676488
Ah right, the tripfag from /m/ that thinks he's worth some shit
Its really a head to head in patheticness with Paul "otashit" johnson
>>
File: Brando-The Horror.jpg (73KB, 720x419px) Image search: [Google]
Brando-The Horror.jpg
73KB, 720x419px
>>14673175
Does not sound too bad. Maybe a little 'too long...but that's nothing. In France, we had this ... The horror... the horror.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHNLtZh3g1A
>>
>>14705590
>>14705952
Is Yamato Video really that bad? I'm using their version to help translate Dragonar right now, and from what Starseeker has told me the Italian subs (translated by Gorge) aren't that bad, though there are some changes to be made here and there.
>>
>>14707558
It varies heavily by episode, comparing the sea to a pot of pasta was probably the most noticeable. There's also been a few times where I can see the translator picked the wrong homophone for the translation.
>>
>>14706252
>when you can read free scans online
Free scans online are just as bad as shitty official translations, I don't understand why in our time and age people still think that the stuff they put out on most sites isn't garbage, there's just a few translator circles that actually know their shit, all the rest is as bad, if not worse than most official translations, same for videogame patches, which are somehow held in high esteem when they're just as shitty as the garbage that comes out from Nintendo Treehouse or any publisher, but for different reasons.

Either learn the language or stop bitching about translations in general.

E per la cronaca, lamentati quanto vuoi dei doppiaggi e delle traduzioni ma almeno il nostro mercato è uno dei più grandi al mondo, e non siamo teste di cazzo come molti americani affamati di soldi da copyright che non pubblicano nemmeno roba come JoJo, e se la pubblicano la censurano pateticamente.
Tanto ogni traduzione fa schifo per natura se la confronti col materiale originario, è inevitabile, l'unica cosa che puoi fare da traduttore è arginare i danni ma purtroppo molta gente è stata educata in maniera retrograda nei confronti dei principi di traduzione sino a un paio di decenni fa, quindi ti devi subire i traduttori che "adattano" invece di tradurre, e succede ovunque, anche in giappone è così.
Fattene una ragione, almeno con un pò di fortuna i nostri pronipoti potranno avere delle traduzioni migliori, ma da qualche parte bisogna iniziare.
>>
>>14703413
to fight off invading aliens know as JEW
>>
File: 1471645314967.jpg (56KB, 400x399px)
1471645314967.jpg
56KB, 400x399px
>>14695466
>>
File: 768px-Elephant_clock,_Dubai.jpg (157KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
768px-Elephant_clock,_Dubai.jpg
157KB, 768x1024px
Southern countries always had a obsession with technology.
>>
File: 1468213829970.jpg (30KB, 300x428px) Image search: [Google]
1468213829970.jpg
30KB, 300x428px
So riddle me this: italians love mecha so much but then how comes that recent ips, Fafner to say one, get no attention from general public? are those giraffa people to blame or just mecha isn't hip anymore?
>>
>>14714442
The second one, i know very few anime fans that can name a mecha ip that isn't gurren lagann, gundam or evangelion. Full metal panic has a relevant fanbase mostly made of 25ish yo fujoshi though.
>>
>>14714534
Well that's pretty sad, it seems that mecha as a genre just reached its expiration date worldwide.
Maybe technology spreading on daily life of everyone has its role in killing the magic.
>>
>>14714442
Fafner's problem is that it's Fafner.
It's a niche series within an already niche genre.
>>
>>14714442
>So riddle me this: italians love mecha so much but then how comes that recent ips, Fafner to say one, get no attention from general public? are those giraffa people to blame or just mecha isn't hip anymore?

You haven't been reading the thread eh ? Italians never liked mecha. The Italian kids of the seventies and early eighties liked Nagai shows and 0079 Gundam because those were the shows that aired at that time. That is it. What small portion of that generation grew out of their infantile love for those dubbed shows might have developped a love for mecha. But they're a very small minority. Even to this day, of the 2 anime publishers in Italy, one Yamato Video does nothing but re-edit old 1970s mecha cartoons on dvd. How the hell can you develop an anime fanbase that loves mecha with this kind of policy ? Nobody cares for 1980s mecha shows, except Macross. Nobody cares for 1990s mecha shows except Evangelion and so on and so forth.
The ignorance of Italian fandom when it comes to mecha is legendary. Anything out of Nagai's 1970s confort zone and it's game over.
Fafner is a jewel. Especially its sequel Fafner Exodus. Yet it's almost unheard of in Italy. Even among people that download fansubbed anime.
>>
>>14715198
>Farner problem
Can't really deny that, guess I've chosen a bad example
>>14715201
>You haven't been reading the thread eh ?
Man I don't understand this burning hate you seem to bear towards those girela manchildren since, according to what the other anon said, they're just a ininfluential niche of masturbators. and please let me point out that your assblasted tone make you sound not very objective and kind of a cunt despite having extremely refined tastes. chillax man
>>
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJmIVClhY3H/?taken-by=nisi_satouri
>>
Did MJP got released in Italy?
>>
>>14715281
STOP TRYING TO CROSS PROMOTE MJP WHENEVER FAFNER GETS MENTIONED
>>
>>14715260
>Man I don't understand this burning hate you seem to bear towards those girela manchildren since, according to what the other anon said, they're just a ininfluential niche of masturbators. and please let me point out that your assblasted tone make you sound not very objective and kind of a cunt despite having extremely refined tastes. chillax ma

I don't hate them as much as I don't give a shit about them. But the point to understand is this : those manchildren may be a minority BUT the people that publish home video editions of anime in Italy cater almost exclusively to this stupid niche. Don't ask me why. They don't spend a lot of money buying anime goods, but somehow there is this conviction that to sell some anime (especially if it is mecha) in Italy then it has to be Mazinger or Gundam or Zambot 3 because those were the animes that the first generation of fans saw on tv 40 fucking years ago. And this way of thinking fucks the rest of the fandom. You know, those fans that actually want to buy new anime. Anime that hasn't been broadcast on tv 1000 times over. Anime that belongs to the XXIst century. Anime from the eighties and nineties that almost no Italian knows about.
That said, now with streaming options being a reality some new quality shows are being made available on home video. Like Yamato 2199. But by and large most home video editions of anime are just re-edits of anime that everyone and his dog has seen on tv for over 30 years because they cater to this fucking niche of manchildren.
>>
>>14674011

How bad is the Italian dub of 0079? As in, does it even follow MSG's basic plot, or go off the rails with random shit?
>>
>>14715392
>How bad is the Italian dub of 0079? As in, does it even follow MSG's basic plot, or go off the rails with random shit?

The original Italian dub of Gundam 0079 is bad. Name changing, inventing things that weren't in the Japanese is par for the course. If you watch the original 1980s Italian dub of Gundam you're following the adventures of Peterrei, Scia' and zion. Oh you also have plutoniom radios (invented only for the italian dub) and some characters say things that make no sense at all.
Basically it's shit. The second dub made in the 2000s is leagues better. Much more faithful to the Japanese although the performance is so-so.
>>
>>14715289
>the people that publish home video editions of anime in Italy cater almost exclusively to this stupid niche. Don't ask me why
Man that's fucked up. I don't want to make racial stereotypes, but its like the old girela guys built the system to cater they own desires exclusively while giving a clean public image. like a manchildren mafia of sorts
>>
File: 6lXpyD6.png (103KB, 315x293px) Image search: [Google]
6lXpyD6.png
103KB, 315x293px
>>14715666
Sorry, it was meant for >>14715348

>666
>>
>>14715409
>Plutonium radios

WTF? What's the story with that? How did they manage to work those in?
Thread posts: 134
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.