[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Robotech novels:a lost gem?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

I am a avid macross fanatic, a huge fan of DYRL, Plus, basically the entire franchise and loving the hell out of delta, also grew up on robotech because of my father (one of the few people who saw the robotech movie in a theater back in the day) and recently just to have something to do and to see how hey were, i bought this lot of the old robotech novels and as i am reading the first book genesis, its actually really entertaining, like why don't people bring these up that often?
>>
First for the obligatory HG shitposting
>>
>>14672674
Oh robotechx will be laughing any second now but at least there might be some talk about the novels at least lol
>>
>>14672639
Spoilers, it's typical 70s scifi. Time travel is used to explain why the entire series is a closed loop.
>>
File: 1316659565154.jpg (159KB, 800x502px) Image search: [Google]
1316659565154.jpg
159KB, 800x502px
They're better than the series, I'll give them that. For the Macross section, though, Macross (either the original subs or the ADV dub) is still better.

And all the usual reasons for HG. As long as you grab them from the library or a used book store, get them.
>>
>>14672682
>They're better than the series,
>I'll give them that. For the Macross section, though,
>Macross (either the original subs or the ADV dub) is still better.

Be careful when saying they're better than the tv series. It is true insofar you're referencing the old versions that is pre-Yune era books. Anything that has been written since or rewritten according to the new cannon is shittier than shit.
Someone who has never heard of Robotech or watched the wretched tv series can certainly enjoy the books. They have always had a much more cohesive and interesting storyline. New age in certain aspects (hey even Kawamori fell into this so non criticism) but it holds pretty well. And the end result of 18 books is that the story is surprisingly non contradictory, and ends with a long mystery finally resolved (Kawamori do you hear this, fucking solve the mysteries in Delta). I remember reading the books as a teenager in the late eighties early nineties and I have enjoyed them much more than the tv series. The tv series I watched only once when it aired and never had the will to rewatch it again. But I read the whole written saga several times. It's that engaging.

>And all the usual reasons for HG. As long as you grab them from the library or a used book store, get them.
>>
>>14672726
>Kawamori do you hear this, fucking solve the mysteries in Delta

Not gonna happen. Besides potentially killing sequels, even if he solves them, you have no guarantee the answers won't be discarded as part of the 'just an element of that version' out.
>>
>Battlehymen
>>
File: Robotech Fandom dead.jpg (46KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
Robotech Fandom dead.jpg
46KB, 960x640px
>>14672639
Not really a lost gem. In almost every Robotech thread someone mentions they are about the best Robotech material out there, it is just hard to see amongst all the shit-flinging and ALL LAUGHING.
>>
>>14672682
>>14672726
>They're better than the series
>They have always had a much more cohesive and interesting storyline
This. I would even go as far to say that they're the only real way to experience Robotech for what it is; A trippy but fun and entertaining adaptation to an otherwise awesome show. They're much darker in tone and they really build up a history to the characters and events, pacing things out to where you don't feel like you're being vomited on with exposition and random bullshit like in the tv show.

Viewers do need to beware, though; The latest 'reprinted' editions have been edited and altered by order of Tommy Yune so that they are more in tune with his god-awful Shadow Chronicles. Its best to find the older copies at libraries or used book stores. Just about every Half Price Books has a handful, so they're not too rough to find.
>>
>>14673682
Tell me about this robotech thing and this " we laughing" meme.
I am kind of lost here.
>>
>>14676625
Robotech was a amalgamation of three anime series, Super Dimensional Fortress: Macross, Super Dimensional Cavalry: Southern Cross, and Genesis Climber: MOSPEADA. The plots were re-written to connect the series and a horrible narrator was hired to tell you what you are seeing on the screen for 85 episodes. It made for an fair to good localization of the series involved, especially for the mid 80s when it first aired.

After the first series a couple of abortive attempts at sequels happened and the company that made it engaged in some ultra-faggotry that even caused the Society for the Promotion of Faggotry to say, "Hey guys, you need to take it down a notch."

This led to constant whine wars between the pro and anti Robotech people. One insistent troll appeared on /m/ spamming several things that Robotechfags should do in the guise of Macrossfags, among others harassing a VA, he always ended his posts with "AND WE AT ROBOTECHX ALL LAUGHING!" Thus a shitty meme was born.
>>
>>14672639
I bought the whole series when they first came out.
I suspect I may have thrown them out to make room for my Dr. Who/Star Trek/BOLO books.
>>
I picked up #1-#6 at the thrift store a while back. Haven't got around to reading them yet.
>>
>>14677877
Things really exploded once JUSTposting became a fashionable shitposting meme, giving birth to the ANDposting variant of robotechx.
>>
>>14677877
Thanks, anon.
>>
>>14672639
Picked up everything through #18 back in 99-00. The Macross ones were fine, I'd even go so far to say they were pretty good for late-80s paperback sci-fi ("good" being HIGHLY subjective...). Southern Cross was where things took a dive into the weirdness zone, New Generation was even more bizarre, and Sentinels made me feel funny things, which I later realized were the whole "this was written on drugs" feelings. End of the Circle wrapped everything up, and included the chronicles of the young Rick Hunter's sex life with an older girl, but is also the definition of an acid trip.

...I'll admit, the comics go off in even more wacky directions than the novels (the Wildstorm ones excepted, and even though you'll all hate me for this, I kind of liked Ted Nomura's work when Antarctic had RT), and Palladium's RPG is full of holes and makes some questionable post-New Generation decisions (and has elements reminding me vaguely of Macross 7), so yeah, when it comes to expanded universe stuff, Robotech is lacking.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.