[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

we could have had it all

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

File: ge-hardiman-1-copy.jpg (83KB, 500x699px) Image search: [Google]
ge-hardiman-1-copy.jpg
83KB, 500x699px
think of what we would have today in 2016 if this research didn't stop in the 1960's

http://www.gereports.com/do-you-even-lift-bro-hardiman-and-the-human-machine-interface
>>
>>14665316
we would probably have an even more nightmarish world than the one we currently have.

Because all flashy shit aside, the overwhelming majority of mecha anime takes place in worlds nobody in their right mind would want to live in.
>>
File: 1470510166602.jpg (286KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
1470510166602.jpg
286KB, 450x450px
>>14665329
>the overwhelming majority of mecha anime takes place in worlds nobody in their right mind would want to live in.
UC colony life looks somewhat safe. Just make sure you're living in a neutral colony or at least a colony away from the constant wars, and it's pretty okay, I guess.
Also Paradigm City if you're lucky enough to be a rich bastard living in the domes.
>>
>>14665339
that reminds me of the Appetite For Destruction cover
>>
>>14665316
>Hardiman started in 1965
Man, it took those guys six years to read Starship Troopers?
>>
>>14665329
The Macross universe seems like a decent place to live as long as you're not caught up in the events of whatever show is going on at the moment.
>>
File: mdgeist2_dbnl1.png (303KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
mdgeist2_dbnl1.png
303KB, 640x480px
>>14665329
What's the worst that could happen?
>>
>>14665316

The research didn't stop according to that report, it ran in to technical issues that made it pointless under current conditions to continue. They needed to solve battery life issues along with issues relating to force feedback and strength versus weight in materials before anything could be done with the idea.

Those avenues didn't stop too, just the end result of having a combined product that met a specific configuration. Those issues are only now being resolved. There's no need to imagine what we'd have, because it's what we actually do have.
>>
Among other things, we still to this day don't really have a great way of making the exoskeleton sense the movements of the operator quickly and accurately, without tiring out the wearer. Sensing the electrical impulses in the muscles is fast and effortless, but not particularly accurate. Pressure sensors are accurate, but necessarially lag behind the user and need to be acted against with force. As far as I know, any viable exoskeleton made with near-future technology is going to need a complex integration of a number of different types of sensors all run through some fairly complex software to get it to work. We're barely approaching the point where that is feasible today, the 60s weren't anywhere close.

I assume the hardiman used some kind of tuned mechanical hydraulic valves that the wearer would press against while moving, and that would move the suit's limbs. That shit ain't ever gonna work, though. It's hard work to move it, it lags behind the user, and it requires not-insignificant amounts of effort to use at all.
>>
File: Mosher_GE_walking_truck-x640.jpg (343KB, 640x746px) Image search: [Google]
Mosher_GE_walking_truck-x640.jpg
343KB, 640x746px
MY EMPIRE OF DIRT

Also: amusingly, the GE walking truck was more or less a powered exoskeleton. The driver's legs controlled the rear legs and the driver's arms controlled the front legs.

Apparently it was exhausting to operate even over short distances.
>>
File: guntanks in downtown.jpg (181KB, 900x604px) Image search: [Google]
guntanks in downtown.jpg
181KB, 900x604px
>>14665498
>early SDF times
>death toll:6+billion just counting humans
>decent place to live
>>
>>14668316
Not surprised it was exhausting. That's basically large scale QWOP.
>>
>>14665316
They never once actually powered up that suit in the pic because they were afraid itd rip the wearer apart
>>
>>14665316
they stopped it because why fucking bother when robotic arms and forklifts do evrything perfectly fine?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.