[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Escaflowne New dub

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8

File: escaflowne.jpg (43KB, 410x240px) Image search: [Google]
escaflowne.jpg
43KB, 410x240px
TV series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PPVISGfl4M

Movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnMA4HoEyu8

DVD/Blu-rays slated for October 18
>>
Is this the Three Mechateers
>>
>>14654004
I'm super nostalgic for the original dub, but this sounds okay. When I get my BDs I'm going to blaze through the Japanese and original dub tracks, but this might be worth a rewatch some time down the road.
>>
Part 1 Escaflowne Panel Q&A: Answers from the directo Akane: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/funimationprod/the-vision-of-escaflowne-a-new-hd-dub-for-the-clas/posts/1660096
>>
Is there any good medieval/Fantasy mecha anime like Escaflowne?
>>
>>14655646
Yes

Aura Battler Dunbine, Panzer World Galient and Yamato Takeru, to name a few.

If you like kids shows, there is also Wataru, Ryuu Knight, TV Rayearth, and Granzort.
>>
>>14655646
>>14655668
There's also Hepoi, though it still lacks subs.
>>
>>14655646

Scrapped Princess
>>
Vic Micnogna as Folken is still a terrible choice. He doesn't have nearly the range as I'd expect from Folken's voice. Then again, he is going up against Nakata and Dobson so it was to be expected.

Hoping its a better preformance than Mendoza from Garo at least.

Hitomi sounds bored out of her mind from what I can tell. Might just be the line they chose though.
>>
Im concerend about Van. Didn't hear much of him in the trailer and all the roles I see him listed as are for...softer characters
>>
>>14655646
Cant believe nobody's given you breakblade as rec yet.
>>
>>14654004
This looks magical. Like it seriously sent chills down my spine, which is weird cause the only nostalgia I have for this series is a weirdly high quality abridged series I watched back in high school.
>>
>>14654004

Ahh, that movie trailer. The music still gets me.
>>
>>14654004
Hmmm... I always expect Escaflowne to be more about the Mecha than about the shoujo stuff.

<sp>it never is</sp>
>>
>>14657309

It's pretty goddamn shojo
>>
>>14657309
>>14657328
To be fair, there's 5 versions of escaflowne due to the endless fighting between director, producer and original creator. Its just odd we got all the versions .

We have the show which was tight knit shojo mixed with action and trad. mecha (Akane, the directors vision mixed with bits of the Kawamori, the writer and creators, vision)

We have the original manga, which was action based and more 90's ranma esque with partial nudity, magical girl transformation, etc.(the Studio's vision mixed with the mangaka's Aki)

We have the second manga, which is extremely shojo with everything basically being clamp style escaflowne (the original creator, Kawamori, ideas mixed with that series mangaka, Yashiro)

We have the movie, which was a lot more action based (the producer, Takanashi, take on it all and given the greenlight by bandai to do it, which in itself was a favor to the producer and director of the TV series since the show never really took off in japan and neither did the 3 mangas)

And we finally have the last manga which was a mix of it all and was just sorta handed to a bunch of famous mangaka related to bandai/sunrise and told do a story based off of the show or manga. It had 0 direction and was just basically fan interpretation of events.
>>
>>14657358
Escaflowne is one odd fucking beast of a show that got no fan reaction in japan due to it premiering less than 2 weeks after both evangelion and gundam wing ended. The manga never did amazing numbers there and the plastic model kits bandai released where some of the worse kits ever released.

Oddly enough, this still didnt stop bandai of america paying top billing (because bandai of japan always put their own products up for bidding in other territories and made their own overseas subsidiaries bid on their own property against other companies)

This also didnt stop fox kids from also paying a huge fee to air it (and butchered the show, removing all shojo elements, to violent for fox kids elements, and replaced all of kanno's music with 90-00's anime techno such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5ZXbrqPjKM).

For example, the first episode was deemed too shojo in its entirety, so they just took the dragon killing part with the heart, cut it and sped it up and put the 'important parts' in the 45s opening so viewers wouldnt be confused when the episode started with her on gaia. The entire show was cut to around 10 episodes (for the entire series) and never again aired on fox kids.

Despite this, Escaflowne became a 'huge' hit in the US, easily toppling that of japan. Its these numbers that allowed bandai to let the movie go forward. It even is why tokyopop paid top billing for the original manga rights, which also sold decently well in its US run.

imo, this is the firefly/serenity of anime. Surviving despite its extreme numerious fuckups by pure fan willpower alone.
>>
more like escano dont fight vanwne
>>
>>14657361
It helps that YTV actually had the decency to air the whole show in Canada without any fooling around.
>>
>>14657361
iirc it also had the misfortune of being put opposite Batman Beyond, so it even had a hard time finding the nerd crowd.
>>
File: Ytv-zone-phil-and-snit-small.jpg (38KB, 530x380px) Image search: [Google]
Ytv-zone-phil-and-snit-small.jpg
38KB, 530x380px
>>14657582
YTV was the shit.
>>
>>14654004
It always surprising that a 20years old anime like Escaflowne is better than 80% of the anime that we get now with the animation, OST and story.
>>
File: No regrets.gif (87KB, 300x233px) Image search: [Google]
No regrets.gif
87KB, 300x233px
>>14655958
Yes.
>>
>>14657645
because a lot of anime now is done by the numbers. What will appeal to audience A and C, What pose will sell the most gunpla, which current Jpop star did we get to sing opening A and which fading (but still popular) star will sing closing B, etc.

A lot of the older anime did actually start with a pitch. Sure, the number game was still there, but its like apples and oranges if you compare it to today. They where allowed much more freedom and could take more risks. They where ok to blend the genre some.
>>
File: CfCasyLUYAAtDLu.jpg (109KB, 600x674px) Image search: [Google]
CfCasyLUYAAtDLu.jpg
109KB, 600x674px
https://twitter.com/nobuteruyuuki/status/716242437442699264/photo/1
>>
File: CfCq-XsVAAIv6IW.jpg (113KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
CfCq-XsVAAIv6IW.jpg
113KB, 600x800px
>>
>>14654004
is a new dub really necessary?
>>
>>14657799
Nope. Doubled with the fact that it seems to be inferior to the original dub. But funimation /HAS/ to redub everything they get a license to. This could be simple, like hellsing ultimate, where they spring for the original VA's, or like this one, where they just use the inhouse normals they have.
>>
File: canvas.png (7KB, 239x211px) Image search: [Google]
canvas.png
7KB, 239x211px
>>14657361
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5ZXbrqPjKM

With all respect to the OST, I thought that NA intro music was rad as fuck when I was younger and still think so as an adult. I was pretty disappointed when it got cancelled in the US -- it wasn't even an immediate cancellation as they had the gall to run the first few episodes as reruns before taking it out of rotation completely.
>>
>>14657823
>>14657812
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSlNHi6wgQQ

It doesn't compare.
>>
>>14657825
I wasn't comparing.

Just saying that the NA OP got hype.
>>
>>14657812
>random techno done on the cheap by sabans israeli friend (who does his own impressive stuff in all honesty) is better than kanno
Yea, no.
>>
>>14657836
>better than kanno

Again, I didn't say that at all.

This is why you have no friends.
>>
Why don't they do another new one for the 20th anniversary?
>>
>>14657855
It's people like you that are the reason why there's a slew of shitty remakes and reboots over the last several years.
>>
>>14657855
Part of the charm of Escaflowne is the incredible production values, the low involvement of Kawamori not making it shit and the absolute 10/10 fights coreography and mecha design.
Literally all those things have become worse in these 20 years, the mechs would be CGI shits that are jarring, clash with the 2D characters that are drawn by shitters and Kawamori being Kawamori would turn it into another disaster.

So no please keep Escaflowne out of this shitty decade.
>>
>>14657799
The BDs have scenes that weren't in older licensed versions, and therefore wasn't in the old dub.
>>
>>14658368
>The BDs have scenes that weren't in older licensed versions,
?
>>
>>14658369
Literally as anon says. The Japanese releases didn't have EVERYTHING up until the blurays. As Bandai Ent received what Masters Japan had at the time, they didn't get the cut footage that didn't make the original broadcast.

It's more like 10 minutes and I wouldn't say its warranting of an entire new dub myself, mainly because I've had shows that I follow that have had way more cut footage just smashed into a Bonus Features section.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dam3BjACs38
>>
>>14657944
>the low involvement of Kawamori
He's one of the original creator.
>>
File: Jesus Fucking christ.png (6KB, 701x99px) Image search: [Google]
Jesus Fucking christ.png
6KB, 701x99px
>>14654004
Good god, they do want people to buy this, right?
>>
>>14658893
Don't you know, they're treating US anime fans just like the otaku fags in japan, like we're all full of cash and shit

Funimation: "60 dollar Complete/Perfect Collection sets that used to be standard? FUCK THAT KEKEKEK"
>>
>>14656014
Yeah... but that's Vic Mignogna's thing, being miscast. I actually like him for a lot of roles, but he's so often used for characters his voice just doesn't make sense for.

I'm glad this exists though. I love Ocean group, and theres no deficiency for them or their directors but the old Escaflowne script was rife with translation errors, and not small ones.
>>
>>14658912
to wax old fart:
BACK IN MY DAY the subbed vhs Esca set from animevillage was more than that. I remember the con I was at the weekend the FoxKids version debuted for some reason the dealers got into a pricing war over the VHS box set. Friday it was around $200~$300 and by Sunday it was $80.
>>
>>14658921
actually I think that was a different con that had the price war.
might be mixing up old AFOs and old AWAs

still, it was expensive and there was a pricing war, regardless of which weekend

sage for alzheimer2x
>>
>>14658921
80 dollars seems about right for 26 episodes, a movie, and an artbook. My standard here is the new gundam sets, which are about 50 a piece for 26 episodes.
>>
>>14658939
back then $80 for a series subbed was insane
these were the days of $20 for two to four dubbed episodes, $30 for subs
>>
>>14658921
It's actually kind of fascinating to realize how far we've come pricing wise.

RightStuf will sell you half of a Gundam series subbed for the comparative cost Bandai Entertainment used to ask for 4-5 episodes bilingual on a single DVD.

Under the circumstances, that Escaflowne price could be a LOT worse.
>>
>>14658921
Back in my day, son, which was the EARLY DAYS of akon and such, the VHS release from animevillage ran about 17$ per VHS and the box set was about 90 (this was at the con. You could actuallt get it cheaper at samgoodie/Suncoast). By the time the dub came out, you could get each VHS for 12 or 75 for the entire set. The DVD set that came with the movie and the soundtrack ran me 35$.

Sounds like your bidding war was local to your con.
>>
File: tantrum rad.gif (1MB, 560x315px) Image search: [Google]
tantrum rad.gif
1MB, 560x315px
>>14658893
>Retail Price: $179.98

Welp, that puts me out the game.
>>
>>14657358
>>14657361
So when do we get the version that really IS all about the Mecha?

When you say "action based" do you simply mean more fights? Do we see more varied mech action?
>>
>>14657936
don't be silly, anon isn't a lazy suit
>>
>>14658450
Check the episodes' directors, he pitched the idea and fucked off which is what he should do more often.
>>
>>14657944
yeah, but don't you wanna see hitomi as an idol??
>>
>>14657944
>he doesn't like Maximum Kawamori
>>
Escaflowne could have been longer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dam3BjACs38
>>
>>14663562
Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twjKtk75omo
>>
>>14663562
Huh, I watched that version.
>Hitomi's mom's eyes
every time
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.