[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When will we get an interstellar gundam series ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

File: Gundam.jpg (28KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
Gundam.jpg
28KB, 300x225px
When will we get an interstellar gundam series ?
>>
IIRC some of the late UC stories take place in solar systems apart from ours.
>>
>>14649733
>When will we get an interstellar gundam series ?

We already have one. It's called Robotech.
>>
File: 1467418463154.jpg (180KB, 963x1136px) Image search: [Google]
1467418463154.jpg
180KB, 963x1136px
If we got a 002 / season 3 that's exactly what it would be.
>>
File: 615418.jpg (51KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
615418.jpg
51KB, 640x360px
>>14649733
Isn't that basically what we got at the end of 00?
>>
>>14649733
00 set the groundwork for that but then everyone complained NOT MUH GENDUM. So now, aside from the odd BF special, we're gonna see more OYW ripoffs until the day the franchise croaks.
>>
>>14649824
Late UC doesn't exist (according to Bandai).
>>
>>14649944
I think he means for more than a 5-minute epilogue.
>>
Hopefully never.
>>
>>14651646
Why ?
What would make it outright unnapealing to you ?
>>
>>14651668
Pretty much, at that point it's so unrecognizable that it shouldn't even bother trying to be in the same series. It would just be using the name for marketability.
>>
>>14651679
Why though? It's not like G doesnt exist? It's a war drama often between a faction of "Earth humans" and "Space humans" and delivers a message. The message, story, execution and others change series by series but the genre doesnt change. The war drama could play out between different solar systems.
>>
I could go for a Gundam series set in another star system, but limited to that one star system.

I don't want to see wormholes or faster-than-light travel/communication. So I guess if the characters were put into stasis or had cybernetic/genetic immortality or stayed the same age through time dilation during near-light speed trips, that would be fine, too.
>>
>>14651711
G is also a case of just using the brand for marketability. Not really the best example. Gundam is a franchise that has already given away most of what dignity it had as a 1979 toy commercial, but that doesn't mean I'd rather not see it decline further.
>>
Turn A technically but it isn't what you are looking for.
>>
File: 00 AwotT Saki.jpg (454KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
00 AwotT Saki.jpg
454KB, 1920x1080px
>>14649931
>tfw no 00 S3 about the QT innovader going into deep space to search for Setsuna
>we won't get an episodic series about humanity spreading UNDERSTANDING to other star systems
>the innovader wars will never be animated
>>
>>14651755
I agree with you but it's not like a serious real robot war drama cant be done on an interstellar level. G seems out of place because it's essentially a shounen super robot show.
>>
>>14651836
>I agree with you but it's not like a serious real robot war drama cant be done on an interstellar level.
100% agree, but I don't think it should be a Gundam show.
>>
>>14649949
Do they actually think this?

I actually thought they even consider G-Saviour to be 'canon' but they just pretend it doesn't exist and never mention it.

Unless you mean late UC that isn't animated, in which case, you are right.

>>14649733
Gundam should probably never be interstellar. Just do something original, as far as I'm concerned, it's no longer thematically Gundam if you leave the solar system, or entirely ignore earth.
>>
>>14651867
> it's no longer thematically Gundam if you leave the solar system
how?
>>
File: CannonShells.webm (3MB, 720x385px) Image search: [Google]
CannonShells.webm
3MB, 720x385px
>>14652038
I probably should have put a "to me" there.

For me, Gundam is tied to the fragility of people and the earth. Comparing the science fiction setting of Gundam to Macross, humans are powerless to the forces of nature like vacuum of space, and are constantly teetering on the edge of destroying themselves, be it through pollution, war or lack of resources. The characters wear big clunky normal suits when ships enter combat, Mobile Suits kill with only 1 direct connection from beam weaponry, ships and MS burn up in the atmosphere if not properly prepared. I could list a bunch more.

Many aspects of Gundam's fiction build towards the idea that it is grounded in reality. A consequence of Macross' fiction is that humanity feels powerful, but this is okay because the focus of the story in Macross is mostly about the characters, and while it does make commentary about society and culture, it does not look at some of the more philosophical topics Gundam attempts to cover.

Purely from a fiction point of view, an interstellar Gundam would break down the real robot setting too far. When you allow a civilization to exist intergalactically, by consequence you also hand every person with access to interstellar transport a weapon of mass destruction, or introduces a handful of other problems.

My reason for suggesting that Gundam should always be centered around the Earth, was that I personally think it's important to teach kids the importance of protecting our environment, and its much more obvious for the target audience of Gundam (children) to get the message when Earth is the subject. I actually think that maybe as a hard and fast rule it's too strict, seeing as how something like Turn-A could have just as easily been another planet without much story changes.

Sorry for assuming familiarity with Macross, hopefully this has been helpful.
>>
>>14652228
It's a fair point, gundam always had that aspect of environmentalism to it but I think it could work in an intergalactic setting as well.
For example something like Sidonia where the remnants of humanity are confined to a ship due to messing up the earth with war and pollution,
you could use a setting such as this to get the same points across imo
>>
>>14652228
The familiarity of our solar system also helps the messages stick. For instance, seeing Syndey get destroyed really made me feel that the future is going to be bright
>>
>>14652299
Something like this could work. A gundam where humanity is reaching out into the rest of the universe because Earth got fucked up. So they're a limited colony fleet with few resources inbetween them. There's a good survival aspect there. Perhaps one side of the fleet rebels against the other, and they're all cut off. Then you could work in a message about how humanity must work together in order to survive in such harsh conditions instead of fighting or something.
>>
>>14652362
Right.

It is so much more obvious when it is Earth that is being destroyed.

Of course just my opinion. It's not that it couldn't work, I just think that maybe making an original series instead of invoking Gundam would be a better choice for that.

>>14652380
>where humanity is reaching out into the rest of the universe
Turn-A suggests that the Turn-X came from a colony such as that. Judau had a Newtype colony that was set to go to Alpha Centauri according to a Victory side story, so I guess it COULD happen.
>>
File: Fixed.jpg (397KB, 1744x1490px) Image search: [Google]
Fixed.jpg
397KB, 1744x1490px
>>14649916
>>
>>14652960
>Everything leads to Robotech
wtf is that shit.
>>
>>14652960
>everything leads to robotech
haha oh wow
>>
Sunrise is afraid of completely departing from the formula.

If we ever get an 'interstellar' Gundam it will be like Turn-A... set in the post-apocalyptic ruins of a solar system that was populated by humans. There will be no aliens.

That lets them test the waters without venturing too far from the familiar.
>>
>>14652960
>acknowledging G-Saviour
>>
File: 1466466120595.jpg (227KB, 1294x1230px) Image search: [Google]
1466466120595.jpg
227KB, 1294x1230px
>>14653103
>>14653185
>>14653391
>>
>>14652380
So... Battlestar Galactica with mobile suits instead of vipers?
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.