[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MM9 - Monster Magnitude 9

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: mm9.png (61KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
mm9.png
61KB, 400x300px
What's the general opinion on it? I mean, the concept is great (A government-sanctioned team focused on monitoring and stopping giant monster threats scientifically. Basically, Ultraman without Ultraman), but it's really hard to find anything about it.

I understand that the second and third books haven't been translated for lack of interest/sales/niche audience, but is the Shinji Higuchi-directed live-action show bad enough to justify the fact that no one seems to have interest on subbing it?
>>
Man I forgot MM9 got a tv series.

Or that there's more than one book.
>>
>Ultraman without Ultraman
Sooo... Ultra Q?
>>
Nah, it's more like a down-to-earth SSSP: The series (Or any other science-y monster squad. You know, the colorful guys with fancy jets and mostly useless pew-pew lasers)

...Or at least it seems so, I don't know since I haven't managed to get the translated book yet. I just like the idea of Ultra Squad meets Patlabor/Dai-Guard without mechs.
>>
>>14640263
The books are so much better than the actual series. The series takes the Patlabor approach to compensate for its low budget, but it focuses so much on the team that we literally don't get any actual monsters until the final episode. Even then, said fight is between two shadows with puppet-tool animation, and it's a really weak adaptation of what is the best part of the first book.

Honestly if you want the MM9 series done better, watch Neo Ultra Q. If only because you actually get to see a modern world where kaiju are commonplace.
>>
The first book is pretty much the best kaiju novel on the market (no matter what Jeremy Robinson might try to tell you), and it's chocked full of monster movie/history/world mythology Easter eggs.

I keep trying to pester Viz about releasing the second/third/side-story novels, but it's pretty unlikely at this point considering how much time has gone by since they put out the first one. They also screwed up that release with some seriously boring cover art; that may be a part of it not doing so well, on top of the fact that the kaiju fandom is tiny and fickle.

...also, it's not entirely without Ultraman, depending on how you interpret the final chapter.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.