[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shin Godzilla Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 309
Thread images: 103

File: image.jpg (139KB, 720x973px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
139KB, 720x973px
Movie summary: http://pastebin.com/pW30aaHq

OST list: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5Ru-wduZ70&list=PL_Bg39cb6VXImKhiTQEB6vUwfPg1vjGD9 [Open]

"Who Will Know" with lyrics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrXTS10h2WI [Open]

Gabera is a fucking faggot
>>
PSA: I don't know if you are this "Billy" guy or who "Billy" is supposed to be, but FFS, stop enabling that troll by replying to him.
>>
SO HOW ABOUT THAT HEDORAH, EH GUYS?! PRETTY COOL RIGHT!
>>
>>14636874

I WANT HEDORA's FETAL FORM TO CLIMB INTO MY PENIS AND DO THE CHA-CHA
>>
So are you guys ever going to admit that Final Wars was fantastic?
>>
>>14636889

I fucking love that movie for being the deliberate clusterfuck it was.
>>
>>14636859
Man this poster remind me that alien prequel.
>>
>>14636889
Fantastic? Nope. It's a cheap looking, embarrassing mess and sad waste of funds. Kitamura was the wrong choice in director. You don't get a free pass just for being zany. There are limits to that too.
>>
>>14637017

I'd agree, but for the the cheapness somehow just adds to it.

Like, imagine if Final Wars actually had a Hollywood-sized budget. It probably could have turned into a Michael Bay-level obnoxious eye-rape clusterfuck, given what Kitamura was going for. But it didn't, and it just added to the goofy, zany quality of the movie.
>>
File: Keizer_Ghidorah.jpg (103KB, 594x594px) Image search: [Google]
Keizer_Ghidorah.jpg
103KB, 594x594px
>>14637031
I don't know. It looks bad even compared to the kaiju films surrounding it. And I think that's detrimental. Especially since Toho was looking to enter the international market and appeal to younger and mainstream audiences with it. Plus the money Toho pumped into it. I don't think fans are fully aware how much of a failure this film was.

As for the quality of the content itself, it tries far too hard to be cool and has far too much happening. It's one of the reasons I don't embrace the fanbase's desire to put a bunch of monsters into a single film (unless its only with the lesser monsters like Baragon and Varan).
>>
Final Wars need to be more Kitamura-y or more Godzilla-y.
It felt half-hearted at both.
>>
As of August 17, Shin Godzilla has earned $37.2 million. If it runs as long as Godzilla '14 did last year, at the very least, the movie should be approaching $50 million by the end of its run.
>>
>>14637073
And that's not counting overseas tickets, the limbs said distributors had to pay to get the rights, and the metric ton of merchandise.
>>
File: rita why.gif (2MB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
rita why.gif
2MB, 300x225px
>>14637073
>Shin Godzilla only making at best $50 mil at the end of its run
>Finding Dory made $900 million in two days
>>
>>14637057
>It looks bad even compared to the kaiju films surrounding it.
Bullcrap. Parts of it look bad compared to other parts of the same movie, but if you really think Manda's sequence in Final Wars looks as bad as any other CGI, underwater, or underwater CGI scenes in the Millennium era then you need to get your eyes checked.

That Kaiser Ghidorah looks crappy doesn't undo the rest of the movie being more elaborate than everything around it. They built a dozen monster suits, a ton of sets, and staged numerous fight scenes that were far more complicated than the usual, "Godzilla bumps into enemy, sparks fly," scenes that have been going on since 1989. Getting that movie done on a budget of $20 million, in the schedule allotted, and having it look as good as it does is an act of fucking wizardry of Kitamura's part.
>>
>>14637112
Americans are rich and go to the theater a lot. Also it takes a lot of yen to make a dollar.
>>
File: image.jpg (48KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48KB, 500x375px
>the invasion of the astro monsters theme plays during the final attack on godzilla
Why can't this movie come out here yet
>>
Camrip when?
>>
This probably gets asked all the time here, but what are some of the better Godzilla movies?

I've only seen the original and Vs Biollante.
>>
File: 272836373.png (376KB, 680x462px) Image search: [Google]
272836373.png
376KB, 680x462px
>>14637119
Sure, the digital effects for the Manda sequence looked nice? But the film's effects aren't all that consistent. It looks rough at times. Maybe it's how it was shot.

>>14637121
US theater attendance is on the decline. China is expected to become the world's largest film market within the near future.

But I wonder how well Shin Godzilla will perform in other Asian markets.

>>14637154
Gojira (1954)
Mothra vs Godzilla
Ghidorah
Monster Zero
Godzilla vs Hedorah
Godzilla vs Biollante
Godzilla 2000
GMK
>>
>>14636864
You're aware he turns the thread into his personal blog where he lords himself over the rest of us regardless of whether anyone actually replies to him right? Bitching about Showa Rider, Ultraman and identity politics was the icing on the shit sundae.
>>
File: zilla1.png (608KB, 480x674px) Image search: [Google]
zilla1.png
608KB, 480x674px
Godzilla, the giant radioactive murder amphibian, really just wanted to sell storm shutters all along!
>>
>>14637158
>Godzilla vs Hedorah
>Godzilla 2000
The rest of the list are the answers I expected, the ones that a lot of people commonly agree to be the best ones, but these two are pretty unconventional choices. What makes you pick these ones?
>>
>>14637166

Except you are literally the only person in this thread who cares. He's just expressing his opinions, and honestly I barely even noticed until you started throwing a bitchfit and started tbrowing the spotlight on it.
>>
>>14637158
>US theater attendance is on the decline. China is expected to become the world's largest film market within the near future.
This trend has actually been reversing in recent years. Granted, nothing has dethroned Avatar yet, but if you look at the top-grossing movies worldwide, the top of the list gets slanted more towards the US as time goes on, and Avatar's still the second-best all-time US. A lot of movies that have broken the all-time top-10 worldwide in the last few years have at least 30% of their total box office in the US, and Star Wars: The Force Awakens made it to #3 with 45% of its box office being domestic.
>>
>>14637239
Nah back in July he sperged out about Ebert and argued with everyone who didn't cowtail to his opinion about toku quality. Nothing has changed much it seems because he stil thinks these threads belong to him. The tumblr shit and Showa bitching just takes it a step further.
>>
>>14637255

Again: who cares?
>>
File: Billy.jpg (203KB, 750x719px) Image search: [Google]
Billy.jpg
203KB, 750x719px
>>14637255
And they call me the shitposter.

>>14637031
Speaking of which, who do you think would be a good replacement for Gareth in Godzilla 2?

Hopefully they move away from the "Grounded Universe" and allow more scifi into it.
>>
>>14636889
Final Wars made me realize that it was a good time to let the franchise rest for a while.
>>
>>14637154

Return of Godzilla is good. Showa vs. Mothra and showa Mechagodzilla are pretty fun. Check those out.

Final Wars, Vs. KG, and Vs. Spacegodzilla are best watched with company and/or alcohol
>>
>>14637297
>Vs. Spacegodzilla are best watched with company and/or alcohol

Don't forget a loaded rifle.
>>
>>14637300

That yakuza subplot is honestly one of the most hilariously terribad things in heisei.
>>
>>14637278
>Speaking of which, who do you think would be a good replacement for Gareth in Godzilla 2?
In a perfect world? James Cameron, Robert Rodriguez, or Sam Raimi.

In a more-realistic, "they're not going to spend $10 million getting a top-shelf director," world? I mean, I'm relatively happy as long as it's not Edwards. Considering that they picked him to begin with, they'll probably try to find another indie darling or TV director with some horror-movie credibility. Maybe they'll grab someone who worked on Ash vs Evil Dead.

>>14637308
What were they even trying to accomplish? For the life of me I can't remember.
>>
>>14637154

See >>14637158
Also, for a genuinely funny and creative movie, watch Godzilla vs King Kong. It's not the same kind of camp as later showa, it's just a great cast with good chemistry.
>>
>>14637214
A door to door salesman, the worst kind of monster imaginable.

>>14637222
Not him, but Godzilla vs Hedorah is an interesting movie from a lot of perspectives that's really only hampered by a weak final third. It stands out from the rest of the Showa, and especially late Showa, movies because of how fucking weird it is.
Personally, I wouldn't exactly call Godzilla 2000 good, but it's better than post Biollante-Heisei.
>>
>>14637312

Vs. Spacegodzilla is probably the closest we'll get to a Neil Breen godzilla movie
>>
>>14637312
They apparently picked Gareth because some of the suits were impressed with "Monsters" and it's low budget, so they hoped Gareth could do a New American Godzilla movie for cheap.
Reason he left was because he couldn't handle the stress that comes with budget Hollywood movies, and is going to take a break before going back to "Indie Films".

Honestly, I liked his "ideas", but they wasted a whole movie just for one cool fight. So I'm glad he left, hopefully we can actually get some cool monster scenes without it being teased away.
>>
>>14637331
It's typical nonsensical Showa garbage with a hamfisted message and a doofus Godzilla. Being "weird" doesn't make it good.

>>14637319
A satirical piece of shit
>>
>>14637112
Keep in mind too that all of Japan is about the size of the state of California so there's a lot less theaters. It would be like measuring just the tix sold in Cali vs the rest of the US.

And remember Shin Gojira cost 10 mil US$ to make. So nearly $40 mil is awesome for it. Compare a recent US movie budget vs their take in just US.
>>
>>14637121
>Also it takes a lot of yen to make a dollar.
1 US Dollar equals 100.21 Japanese Yen.
>>
Is this film ever going to be leaked?
>>
Problem shinjgoji compare of to bear goji us beargoji isnt herioc to get to the place to be far of where there in order to there is not or at least isnt the same as the point where you can ram can stan the man blam ban senpai dan the same thing bling as the ham senpai on the lime train stays the aame on a rainy day?
>>
>>14637331
I don't know. I appreciate some of the weirdness in vs. Hedorah, but I feel like for every weird thing that I like there's one weird thing that's some Monty Python-esque joke on the audience designed to frustrate my expectations. I love the out-of-nowhere horrific violence and the random drug trips, but I hate the way that the soundtrack sounds like it's falling asleep half of the time and the infamous flying sequence.

It's not the worst movie, but it's a hard recommendation for me. I don't feel like there exists a person who won't hate at least something about it. That movie feels like four different directors each made part of a movie, and each one of them hated the footage that the previous director had given them.
>>
Reposting from last thread

Atomic attacks at night in chronological order
>>
>>14637158
>Japs market their films toward Chinks
What an impossible dream...

It'd be kek-worthy at least. I know Ultraman Tiga was huge in China years after it aired in Japan because it finally got a Mainland Mandarin dub.

Didn't China have a toku series they were going to air that took cues from Ultraman, but used Chinese fighting styles for the hero and monsters, so it looked like Ultraman on steroids and all the enemies were Kung Fu masters with skills equal to their Ultraman equivalent? I think it was cancelled or canned before it got to air or something happened with the production, I dunno. I remember seeing the promos on YouTube, but I can't remember the name of it for the life of me. All I remember is seeing a giant bull monster trading blows with the hero and doing all kinds of crazy martial arts that you'd never see in a Japanese toku and giving the hero a run for his money.
>>
>>14637406
You don't speak for anyone but yourself.
>>
>>14637415

Oh boy, here we go.
>>
>>14637415
>My opinions aren't fact?
>Wow how dare someone say so
>>
File: what.jpg (121KB, 981x478px) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
121KB, 981x478px
>>14637406
>I don't know.
>I appreciate
>I feel like
>I like
>I love
>I hate
>for me.
>I don't feel

>>14637415
Holy shit, how thin-skinned do you have to be to get offended by this wishy-washy don't-want-to-hurt-any-delicate-feelings language? Man, I didn't realize that I was only speaking about my own opinion. If I'd have known that I might have put eight disclaimers to make it clear!

Do you need me to put a trigger warning in front of my posts? Do I need to put a disclaimer in there clarifying that I speak for my own opinions, considering that apparently just saying that eight times isn't sufficient. I mean, shit, if this amount of qualifiers and weasel words isn't enough to keep me from getting called a shitposter then why even bother. If you prefer I can totally post about how your opinions are objectively shit and everyone who disagrees with me is obviously, objectively a retard with shit taste. Would you like that better?
>>
>>14637415
>>14637471

You two can go fight in the sandbox, mmkay?
>>
File: 58286670_p2_master1200.jpg (251KB, 1200x918px) Image search: [Google]
58286670_p2_master1200.jpg
251KB, 1200x918px
I just watched vs. Spacegodzilla (the only Heisei film I've seen aside from vs. KG).

Aside from the dumb kidnapping subplot, and I guess the 'meh' visuals (even that small scene from vs. Biollante looked more gorgeous), what exactly was wrong with it anyway? I enjoyed it, was expecting a lot worse from all the constant shit the movie gets.

Also, does the general community (both west and east) like babbygoji? I thought he was a cutie.
>>
>>14637471

Gahh, sorry, meant >>14637415
>>
>>14637482

The plot is sort of a mess, the characters aren't very interesting or fun to watch except Yuki who is a literally-insane BAMF, and the final fight kinda drags

Best way to put it is that it alternates between "meh" and "WHAT"
>>
>>14637471
>I can totally post about how your opinions are objectively shit and everyone who disagrees with me is obviously, objectively a retard with shit taste.

The joke of course is that you already do this, and have for several threads already.
>>
File: 1469377333918.gif (52KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1469377333918.gif
52KB, 320x240px
>>14637503

So are these threads now around just for you two to verbally hatefuck each other?
>>
>>14637482
It's basically a Showa movie dropped into the middle of Heisei.

The special effects are pretty bad. I seem to recall some of MOGURA's space flight sequences are obviously a plastic MOGUERA flying past foam asteroids, with the black felt backdrop being clearly visible. Space Godzilla's crystals also look very plastic.

It's got Showa Baby Godzilla sandwiched between the more dinosaur-looking one from vs. MechaGodzilla II and the more Godzilla-looking one in vs. Destroyah.

It's ANOTHER Godzilla vs. Godzilla movie right after vs. MechaGodzilla II, and it recycles the giant robot too, just as a secondary monster.

It's super-goofy and offbeat in otherwise-trying-to-be-serious Heisei series.

It has all of the standard problems that people who don't like Heisei movies complain about with Heisei movies, on top of all that.

I think that's all of the stuff that I normally see people complain about with that movie. Some of it is legit, but since I'm a Showa fan who revels in a lot of the silly campiness of the old movies to begin with, I kind of like Space Godzilla. It's not my favorite, and I admit that it's badly made, but I don't agree that it's without its merits and I enjoy watching it from time to time.
>>
>>14637482
Man's naked ass shot.

The whole "one man tries to take down Godzilla" thing.

Miki not wanting to cooperate in the efforts to take down Godzilla, yet still doing so.

SpaceGodzilla himself feels sort of lazily motivated from what I remember.

Also there was an emotional scene filmed wherein Godzilla tries but fails to free Little Godzilla, but it got cut, taking something away from their relationship.

And yeah, the kidnapping subplot does hurt the film a lot, especially the levitation bullshit (I personally never liked the psychic-esoteric stuff in these films). Others say that the action scene is at least handled creatively and is well shot, but I really can't remember.
>>
File: Cni9ZfLVIAAfqmb.jpg (54KB, 369x421px) Image search: [Google]
Cni9ZfLVIAAfqmb.jpg
54KB, 369x421px
>>14637508
Everybody hates Billy really, he just gets less hate with his trip off. Slightly.
>>
>>14637514

>showa movie dropped into the middle of heisei

It's kinda interesting you bring that up, because that's pretty much what GvKG was.

I mean a lot of heisei is all about the politics of the setting, but here's GvKG doing some seriously goofy shit. The difference is that KG got away with it because it was actually fun, whereas Spacegodzilla is just a slog to get through, Yuki's absolutely lunatic behavior not withstanding

Seriously watching that guy run after godzilla with a peashooter after going on about how "I WILL POISON HIM WITH THIS MAGIC BULLET I HAVE CRAFTED ALONE ON THIS ISLAND" is comedy gold
>>
>>14637518

Honestly, you're not acting like a saint yourself, seeing as you throw a childish tantrum the moment he voices an opinion while occasionally spamming some ebin troll meme.

Fuck, and now you've got me sucked into this shitpit of an argument. Good job, anon.
>>
I think SpaceGodzilla is the ultimate proof to shut up people who think the monsters should dominate the whole movie. That fucking fight was the worst slog I think in the entire franchise next to Vs Megalon which at least had Jet Jaguar. A 45 minute (felt like it) battle doesn't make a monster movie good.
>>
>>14637479
>>14637484
>>14637508
I feel like responding to this kind of stuff, even to apologize, is just adding fuel to the fire and creating another target to reply to. Past this post I promise to take the bait anymore.

Sorry, you guys are right. I should have just let >>14637415 go by without responding to it and I regret shitposting in response to it. I should not have and I'm sorry for contributing to derailment instead of contributing to the thread.

>>14637524
I never thought of GvKG that way, but I could see the same label applied there.
>>
File: 1470492023220.jpg (503KB, 1039x679px) Image search: [Google]
1470492023220.jpg
503KB, 1039x679px
>>14637533

Apology accepted. Let us jazz together
>>
>>14637533
You're not sorry, you're upset people want you to shut up and have for a long time now.
Ebert was still right too by the way.
>>
File: miki.jpg (32KB, 341x510px) Image search: [Google]
miki.jpg
32KB, 341x510px
>>14637222
Hedorah is an interesting beast. It's kind of loose remake of Gojira, except with the latter film's concerns replaced with anxieties about pollution. Tonally, it's both one of the darkest and lightest films in the franchise. There are musical sequences, Bond-style opening credits, animated sequences, gruesome violence, and then Godzilla flying. Honestly, it shouldn't work. But somehow Banno manages to sell it. Believe it or not, I like the human characters. And the soundtrack, works in the context of the film.

Godzilla 2000 is a fine Godzilla film. The protagonists are likable, the blended family drama works. And it has one of the best human "antagonists" in the franchise. It boasts a nice Godzilla design and, minus some poor CGI and the overly glossy UFO, the effects are solid. So for causals I think it's a nice modern take. Just be sure to watch the American cut, even Toho admits it's better.

>>14637532
SpaceGodzilla is just a lazy film in general. Don't use it as "proof" a lot of monster action can't work.
>>
File: 800.png (146KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
800.png
146KB, 625x626px
>>14637543
>>
>>14637493
>>14637514
>>14637515
I see, thanks. I haven't seen the others, so I wasn't familiar with Heisei stuff in general and how similar it was and what not.
Also assumed that I was gonna expect some campiness in the other films, but realize that was kinda stupid since I've only seen two of the (generally considered) worst Heisei ones. I've only seen the 2014 movie and the first three Showa films so far, honestly.
>Man's naked ass shot.
I'm a straight female so I liked it.
>Also there was an emotional scene filmed wherein Godzilla tries but fails to free Little Godzilla, but it got cut, taking something away from their relationship.
I was kinda bothered by the fact that, towards the end, Godzilla didn't go back to Little Godzilla after Spacegodzilla's death. Since he was clearly bothered by what happened and all.

But yeah, thanks for your replies. I should actually start watching these films in order.
>>
>>14637514
You can't deny that the one movie trying to homage Showa was the worst one. It's no coincidence. That era died for a reason.
>>
>>14637550
Turning Godzilla into an environmentally friendly hero was garbage and you know it. Being trippy and nonsensical doesn't save it from the typical trappings of Showa bullshit in toku.
>>
File: Akira_Yuki.jpg (200KB, 570x570px) Image search: [Google]
Akira_Yuki.jpg
200KB, 570x570px
>>14637563
>>14637563

Yeah, with Heisei you kinda gotta go in order.

But enough about that, let's talk about this crazy bastard right here and why he's the best thing in the movie.

Look at this guy. Look at his no-fucks-given stare, his etched frown, his dangling cigarette, his wild mane of hair. Does this look like a man who has anything left to lose?

I mean, how long do you think he was on that island? Did he make those bullets on the island? Does he have a tiny foundry he uses to make them? What did he eat and drink? Did he have to kill a wild boar with his own hands for food and drink his own urine? Why does he look like he's one life setback away from sending a manifesto to the papers while planting bombs in a bunch of department stores? And who the hell in their right mind puts this man in charge of a giant robot?

Who is Akira Yuki?
>>
>>14637570
The issue was that it was trying to be a Showa homage while keeping the lackluster "Shooting beams at each other" fighting style that was part of Heisei's style. All three combatants are just so damn stiff but you see a lot more dynamic physical combat in Showa movies.

Mechagodzilla II also really suffers from that problem. Mechagodzilla's too damn stiff in that movie and doesn't really amount to much more then a enormous Godzilla shaped tank.
>>
File: kino.jpg (117KB, 718x974px) Image search: [Google]
kino.jpg
117KB, 718x974px
>>14637570
Reminder: Being a throwback to the (latter) Showa Era isn't a cover for a film's flaws. Execution is critical. The film in question has to be able to stand on its own feet. The best effort to date at doing so is Gamera the Brave. Or GMK depending on how you look at it.

>>14637575
Hasn't Godzilla always been environmentally conscious to some extent? And Hedorah is awesome.
>>
>>14637579
Combat in Showa is literally men in suits wrestling without any care or attention given to making them seem like anything else. It's laughable to watch.
>>
>>14637582
Don't you ever get tired of being predictable?
>>
>>14637579
>Mechagodzilla II also really suffers from that problem

MGII is a movie I have mixed feelings about visually. It has some of the best and worst monster visuals in Heisei post-Biollante. There's some fantastic matte shots and model work, but the fight scenes were really hit and miss and the Rodan puppet was pretty stiff.

Honestly, "stiff" is a word I'd use with a lot of the lesser heisei stuff visually. Effects, cinematography, choreography post-Biollante really start to look progressively flat.
>>
>>14637591
>>
>>14637576
I think that sometime before the beginning of the movie he converted himself into a hate-powered cyborg, sustained by hate, forging bullets of pure hate using a foundry that he also forged of pure hate! He did kill that wild boar and drink its urine, but not for food. Just for hate.

>>14637582
I thought I was the only person that thought Gamera the Brave was decent. I thought they achieved a remarkable balance between the Showa Gamera kids movies and the dire doom-and-gloom of Heisei Gamera. The tone reminded me of some of the darker Jim Henson stuff, stuff that kids can definitely enjoy but not belittling to them, and with enough depth to them for adults to enjoy. I thought so, anyway. Then the internet kindly informed me otherwise.

>>14637592
I do really love the scenes of them building and maintaining MechaGodzilla in that movie. 10/10 live-action /m/echa porn.
>>
>>14637582
The more Showa influence anything has, the worse it is in general. You dislike Showa Rider and Ultraman so I know you must agree with me on some point in that regard. It's just soulless nostalgia pandering to an unsophisticated and shallow era.
>>
>>14637575
Sorry you can't appreciate true kino, friend.
>>
File: Mansai_nomura_godzilla.jpg (52KB, 800x835px) Image search: [Google]
Mansai_nomura_godzilla.jpg
52KB, 800x835px
>Mansai Nomura portraying Godzilla through motion capture.

How would you move as a lizard /m/?

I miss the suits.
>>
>>14637576
The guy could have grabbed a chainsaw out of no where and I'd still be like 'yuki you're just so kakkoii uguuu'.
Everyone else really was forgettable, though. Can't even remember the names of the other two male leads.

But yeah, I'll definitely pick up the Heisei stuff in order now. I thought it'd be like Showa Ultraman stuff where there's a timeline but it doesn't matter too much on which order you watch the series from regardless, honestly.
>>
File: God - Zilla.png (411KB, 682x476px) Image search: [Google]
God - Zilla.png
411KB, 682x476px
>>14637570
The Heisei Era ended to make way for Sony's Godzilla. It was actually supposed to end with Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla II, however, development hell gave Toho an opportunity to produce two other entries.

>>14637576
Is Akira Yuki Captain Ahab?

>>14637599
People are too hard on GtB. It really is a solid film. But the filmmakers made Gamera a little too cute. I think detractors would be a little more accepting if the title character had a more intimidating appearance.
>>
>>14637599

I haven't seen Gamera the Brave, but considering how visually boss Jim Henson's darker stuff was, I'll check it out.
>>
>>14637607

I'd like to see a Kaiju that moves like an MP Eva, myself. Love them spoopy noh demons
>>
>>14637599
>Darker Jim Henson

Like what? The crappy 1990 TMNT? Dark Crystal? Grow up.
>>
>>14637607
I'd stick my arms up, hunch over a little, and walk without showing the soles of my feet of course.
>>
>>14637585
It's just funny that these monsters have these huge fucking arms and bodies that are poorly utilized. Beam wars are only so entertaining. Godzilla 2014 gets shit on a lot but I really liked the way Godzilla used his body in that movie, the moneyshot was so fucking satisfying.
>>
>>14637608
Showa Ultraman is awful but I'm pretty sure the timeline placement became important after awhile. Don't watch them anyway though.
>>
File: 1470886301029.jpg (37KB, 802x499px) Image search: [Google]
1470886301029.jpg
37KB, 802x499px
>>14637616
We understand. You hate light-heartedness. Give it a rest.
>>
File: 9jh1u0EGmIoeAuXgTWE76lB0DDr.jpg (35KB, 500x731px) Image search: [Google]
9jh1u0EGmIoeAuXgTWE76lB0DDr.jpg
35KB, 500x731px
>>14637599
>LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH HATE FOR GODZILLA I HAVE RIGHT NOW. MY BODY CONTAINS ENOUGH CYBER-VEINS TO ENCIRCLE THE EARTH TENFOLD. IF YOU WERE TO NANO-ENGRAVE THE WORD "HATE" ON EACH AND EVERY CUBIC NANOMETER, IT WOULD NOT EVEN EQUAL ONE MILLION-BILLIONTH OF THE HATE I FEEL FOR GODZILLA AT THIS VERY INSTANT. HATE. HATE.
>>
File: LU 8 3.png (2MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
LU 8 3.png
2MB, 1366x768px
>>14637585
>Implying that men in suits wrestling is anything other than awesome.
>>
>>14637624
>Muh fun
>Pls don't intrude on my safe space

Grow up.
>>
>>14637621
>but I'm pretty sure the timeline placement became important after awhile.
Not really. The only thing I'd recommend is to have already seen Ultraseven before watching Ultraman Leo, really.

I liked Showa Ultraman overall, Leo is waifu-tier.
>>
>>14637354
***HOT OPINIONS AHEAD***

Not him, but I've grown to love kaiju "as is" for a lack of a better term. It's the awe that gets to me and the scenes can be from terrifying to beautiful to just awesome stuff happening. Of course, destruction and action are the top ways to achieve that but those are only two.

I'm really fine with a scene where Goji just walks around, without much destruction and no other kaiju in sight. What gives me chills is when I can feel what the onlookers are feeling. The MUTO hatching doesn't have much collateral or other kaiju too, but the atmosphere was palpable. Pic related is one of my favourite moments.

Civilians don't have to always be present though. One of the best scenes in PacRim for me is Gipsy just walking into the ocean. The dialogue, music, visuals and sounds were just fantastic.

I do feel that "realism" is used too narrowly in film by filmmakers who use this word. Rather than pertain to it, play with it. Scenes like the jungle submarine and the falling jets are perfectly "real" yet otherworldly even before the culprit shows up. Wish there were more.
>>
File: Shadow_the_Hedgehog_Coverart.png (201KB, 256x326px) Image search: [Google]
Shadow_the_Hedgehog_Coverart.png
201KB, 256x326px
>>14637630
>>
>>14637608
>The guy could have grabbed a chainsaw out of no where and I'd still be like 'yuki you're just so kakkoii uguuu'.

I genuinely would not be surprised if somewhere in Toho's vaults, there was an alternate cut of the film in which he did exactly that. Particularly during the mafia raid scene. In which he renders all bullets unnecessary.

>>14637609
>Is Akira Yuki Captain Ahab?

That makes way too much sense and I'm scared
>>
File: Thomas-Kuhn.jpg (176KB, 700x576px) Image search: [Google]
Thomas-Kuhn.jpg
176KB, 700x576px
>>14637633
>Rather than pertain to it, play with it. Scenes like the jungle submarine and the falling jets are perfectly "real" yet otherworldly even before the culprit shows up. Wish there were more.

I like how you think, anon
>>
>>14637632
It's shit, anon. It suffers from the same pitfalls all Showa toku does. Shallow, episodic plots, moralfag protags, empty platitudes, bad effects, bad fights. Is it all nostalgia or what
>>
>>14637354
Take a break? Can't handle big budget hollywood films? Ughhh you realize he's the director for Star Wars Rogue One?
>>
>>14637643

Nah, he quit m8.
>>
>>14637635
Amazing rebuttal.
>>
>>14637630
I don't mind other opinions. But you're droning on like a broken record. And needlessly aggressive too. Chill.
>>
File: canopener.webm (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
canopener.webm
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>14637616
The first Turtles movie is fucking GOAT you /co/mblr trash. The Turtle suits from the Creature Workshop easily surpass the horrific negroid turtles Bay gave us.
>>
>>14637654
>P-pls don't raise ur voice in my safe space!!!
>>
I want /tv/ to leave.
>>
>>14637643
>>14637647
Rogue One's his last big budget hollywood movie for a while
>>
File: 1470074170848.jpg (834KB, 1214x1239px) Image search: [Google]
1470074170848.jpg
834KB, 1214x1239px
>>14637659
>>
>>14637661
>He says while talking about movies
>>
>>14637643
He's taking the break AFTER Rogue One you simpleton.
>>
>>14637642
>moralfag protags

There it is. We've found him.
>>
>>14637664
>>14637659
>>14637654
>>14637648
>>14637642
>>14637635
>>14637624
>>14637616

>>>/holy shit, both of you grow the fuck up and chill out/
>>
>>14637633
I wish they had done more stuff like that shot where you see the airplane crashed in the middle of the highway and you hear all the 911 calls over it. And mix more news coverage stuff in that isn't just on TV at a distance.

I mean, you got Banno producing, you might as well steal some of his editing ideas from Smog Monster.
>>
>>14637667
This is /m/, leave /tv/ style shitposting in /tv/.
>>
>>14637676

2014 is kind of a frustrating movie. When it worked, it worked on every damn cylinder, but when it didn't, it devolved into a big shapeless mass of "meh"
>>
>>14637664
Another great response. How many more clever 9fag images you have in place of something to actually say?
>>
>>14637675
>both
There's at least three parties at work here, unless one guy is playing the role of two.
>>
>>14637647
>>14637662
>>14637668

Is there any truth to the reports that Tony Gilroy handled the reshoots and not Edwards? If so, Edwards might have been quietly dismissed.
>>
>>14637671

he's been here the whole time. Next to screeching about Ebert and Heisei Gamera he loves to rant about moralfags and showa. Day in day out
>>
>>14637683

I'm almost tempted to make another thread so they can work out their obvious mutual /v/irgin rage here while the rest of us chill and talk about rubber kaiju
>>
File: 1374050636382.jpg (706KB, 1280x1661px) Image search: [Google]
1374050636382.jpg
706KB, 1280x1661px
Fuck it, image dump.
>>
>>14637687

Guy, you're no better. Instead of sinking to his level and throwing a bitchfit about his opinions every time he shows up, just ignore him.
>>
File: 1373902320365.jpg (107KB, 630x901px) Image search: [Google]
1373902320365.jpg
107KB, 630x901px
>>14637688
Nah, making a new thread hasn't solved it yet.

>>14637693
Best option is to completely ignore it.

>>14637687
Ignore it plz
>>
File: Goya.4.11s.jpg (81KB, 605x1116px) Image search: [Google]
Goya.4.11s.jpg
81KB, 605x1116px
>>14637690
Is that a Saturn Devouring his Son reference or am I just reading too far into it?
>>
File: miecolorboat.jpg (231KB, 932x1414px) Image search: [Google]
miecolorboat.jpg
231KB, 932x1414px
>>14637690
Toho had all these beautiful women at its disposal over the years and didn't take advantage of it. Shame.
>>
>>14637671
It's a legit critique to anyone over the age of 10.
>>
File: 1374048240871.jpg (2MB, 2135x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1374048240871.jpg
2MB, 2135x3000px
I think I'd sooner pay money for this poster than a DVD or Bluray of this movie.
>>
>>14637684
Never heard that but I doubt it. Especially since Edwards is still promoting the movie and everything. He just is tired out and wants to take a break. I just wish he'd reached that conclusion sooner so that he didn't push the Godzilla sequel back a year .
>>
File: 1374048404022.jpg (906KB, 1989x2821px) Image search: [Google]
1374048404022.jpg
906KB, 1989x2821px
>>14637698
I don't think it's a direct reference but there are clear parallels. It makes me think of Eva before that.

>>14637702
Whoa momma
>>
>>14637705
Yeah, but that poster probably costs more than $8!
>>
File: 1374049001093.gif (880KB, 480x368px) Image search: [Google]
1374049001093.gif
880KB, 480x368px
>>14637703
I've only ever heard the term coming from the mouths of babes, mostly /v/ermin. I'll take a moralfag over an edgelord any day of the week.

>>14637717
True, but you're actually getting what you pay for.

I'm going in a bit blind with these since I haven't looked at them in a while.
>>
>>14637705
I don't know why I love this one so much.
>Original Godzilla
>Killer soundtrack
>Heisei like poster
>Using black holes to fight Godzilla
Plus I just love the suit. The bright green and purple are dope.
>>
File: 96NEZJ8.jpg (29KB, 554x601px) Image search: [Google]
96NEZJ8.jpg
29KB, 554x601px
>>14637715

>that f-15 pilot's face when it's way too late to pull up
>>
File: 1374052312048.jpg (126KB, 1278x688px) Image search: [Google]
1374052312048.jpg
126KB, 1278x688px
I really need to screencap this line towards the end of King Kong vs Godzilla where one of the characters makes a comment along the lines of
>Wow, King Kong is really getting roasted!
>>
>>14637724
That clearly says a lot more about your own intellectual development than anyone else, buddy.
More likely you're just a pretentious contrarian.
>>
File: 20160811172807.jpg (121KB, 550x875px) Image search: [Google]
20160811172807.jpg
121KB, 550x875px
>>14637713
Well I doubt Disney or Edwards want a Fox/Josh Trank-like debacle. They'll just deny the rumors like Warner Brothers and David Ayner did for Suicide Squad.

>>14637715
pic related
>>
>>14637736

No wonder Akira Yuki mourned his death so much.

Gondo was the only man manly enough to satisfy him.
>>
File: gamera is weird.gif (987KB, 500x346px) Image search: [Google]
gamera is weird.gif
987KB, 500x346px
>>14637739
I don't look to toku and anime for profound insights and strong characterization. You can make this tired, shitty argument all day, but you can't beat long form media (ie literature and comics) for depth and breadth when it comes to characterization. Only the greatest masters will do justice given a couple hours of screentime for it to occur.
>>
File: 1452568038505.jpg (1MB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
1452568038505.jpg
1MB, 5000x5000px
>>14637724
>>14637739

WELL MAYBE IF YOU WEREN'T SUCH AN MRA SJW KEKLRINA REDPILL, YOU WOULDN'T EDGELORD YOUR MORALFAGGOTRY SO HARD ON A MONGOLIAN 1990s COMIC STRIP TALKING BOARD, YOU ANTI-PRO-CIS ANTI-WHITE MUSLIM JEW GAMERGATE, I HOPE YOU SHOWAFAG YOUR HEISEI KEKOLOTRY TIME AND AGAIN AND YOUR MOTHER SUCKS TOKU
>>
File: hedora.jpg (1MB, 1250x1751px) Image search: [Google]
hedora.jpg
1MB, 1250x1751px
>>14637758
Feel better yet?
>>
>>14637756

Fuck off back to /co/mblr
>>
>>14637760
I never really considered how big Hedorah's eyes must be behind the eyelids. Turns out he's even creepier than I thought he was.
>>
File: 1471065119854.gif (295KB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
1471065119854.gif
295KB, 200x150px
>>14637760

NO, FUCK YOUR OPINIONS, THEY ARE NOT MINE

I WILL HIJACK ALL DISCUSSION UNTIL MY OPPONENT ACKNOWLEDGES ME AS HAVING THE SUPERIOR PENIS

I MEAN TASTE. I MEANT SUPERIOR TASTE.
>>
File: 1374048785528.jpg (1MB, 2002x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1374048785528.jpg
1MB, 2002x3000px
>>14637763
Yes, I'm sure you enjoy the taste of your own semen.
>>
>>14637763
This is obviously a woman posting. Actual guys don't talk like this.
>>
File: 1470608109665.gif (480KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1470608109665.gif
480KB, 400x300px
>>14637767

AHA, BUT YOU SEE, MY SEMEN TASTES OF ENLIGHTENMENT, AND YOURS TASTES OF LIES AND BAD TASTE. BECAUSE IT TASTES BAD

VALIDATE MY EGO DAMMIT
>>
File: 1373820653939.jpg (110KB, 615x802px) Image search: [Google]
1373820653939.jpg
110KB, 615x802px
These threads started off so nicely too, but over the last week they've really gone to shit. I hope a camrip comes out soon.
>>
File: the fuck did you say to me.png (284KB, 365x361px) Image search: [Google]
the fuck did you say to me.png
284KB, 365x361px
>>14637767
>>
File: kawaii.jpg (69KB, 604x543px) Image search: [Google]
kawaii.jpg
69KB, 604x543px
>>14637782
>>
>>14637775
Everyone predicted this. It's your own fault.
>>
File: 1374048595206.jpg (1MB, 2060x2929px) Image search: [Google]
1374048595206.jpg
1MB, 2060x2929px
The problem is probably with generals themselves, once legitimate discussion between interested parties has been (nearly) exhausted, it all turns to shitposting and trolling.

>>14637782
don't talk to me or my adoptive father ever again
>>
File: 5 minutes in paint.jpg (67KB, 618x827px) Image search: [Google]
5 minutes in paint.jpg
67KB, 618x827px
Draw Goji while we wait for camrip

Your favorite ju works too
>>
>>14637788

There was still plenty of legitimate discussion, it just got taken over by two neckbeards who can't handle differing opinions shitting on each other until it became a mountain of shit dragging the rest of us in.
>>
File: Godzilla-vs-Biollante-drawings.png (755KB, 1600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Godzilla-vs-Biollante-drawings.png
755KB, 1600x450px
>>14637787
I didn't start the threads, and I've usually only posted once or twice in each. Seen some cool shit and learned a lot more about the franchise though, so it hasn't been a net negative.

>>14637794
I fucking love this scene in Godzilla vs Biollante.
>>
>>14637796

There really wasn't dude, and others have said as much. They should stop but the ones who have hijacked them will just make more to use as their blog or soapbox and stoke more arguments
>>
File: 1463292275709.jpg (248KB, 1039x679px) Image search: [Google]
1463292275709.jpg
248KB, 1039x679px
>>14637535
>>
File: angila.png (57KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
angila.png
57KB, 800x600px
>>14637794
I'm sorry
>>
File: ugh.png (11KB, 819x460px) Image search: [Google]
ugh.png
11KB, 819x460px
>>14637822
>>
>>14637845
shun globzolla
>>
>>14637724
Children tend to enjoy moral centric protagonists. It appeals to the moral policeman freshly instilled in their young brain. Older audiences tend to enjoy characters who are reflective of real people, characters who are morally ambiguous or at the very least are logically fleshed out.

Adults who cling to black and white heroes are essentially overgrown children. It is likely they own every silly piece of plastic Nintendo has spawned and think the NX is an innovation.
>>
>>14637852

But then the adults were an obvefgornws xhicldh that wwasz anble to un in derd to uianhdhj, that is why a moralfaggotyr canot be edgrefagging ewsxcept when morallfaggin become edgefagging by ebcoming half edgfagging and moralfagging at the same time, except hwere then it is neother or both moralfagging nor edgefagging and logically that cannot be morally and edggingly at tthe same time un les they are both at the smae time, but logic of either or permits that htat is why that cannot be hte case tbecause hte casei s what is not the case but is ythe case and netiehr both at the same time but at hte same brain drain cannot be brain draned because edging and morally are iopposites unless there is unity of oppiosites reating a synthesis of a higher levle of moral edge.
>>
File: 1471570418988.jpg (136KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1471570418988.jpg
136KB, 1024x768px
With the announcement of the animated Godzilla film, which is apparently getting a theatrical release, might this mean Toho is sticking with the Millennium Era style continuity and we're probably not getting a sequel to Shin Godzilla? If so, it'll be neat if Toho just decides to let big name outsiders put their own unique spin on the franchise. And Toho should consider doing the same for Godzilla video games. Branch it out to big names.
>>
>>14637794
I really wish I would've scanned the drawings of Godzilla I did as a child when I had the chance. It was only a couple of them... I remember the first was colored horribly with some kind of oil pastel crayons or something.... just a huge black blob with strangely salmon-colored fins. The other was Godzilla fighting an OC monster called "Dragon King"... I think it was supposed to be King Ghidorah but I couldn't figure out how to draw more than two heads on a body. "Dragon King" also had an offspring which was quadripedal and really didn't resemble his parent at all. Also made up another OC monster that made entirely of electricity... kinda looked like the 10,000 Volt Ghost from The Scooby-Doo Show.
>>
>>14637861
Trying to hard, yo.
>>
File: 1374094213940.jpg (126KB, 453x240px) Image search: [Google]
1374094213940.jpg
126KB, 453x240px
>>14637861
Don't respond to bait, even with ironic shitposting.

Which monster design do you dislike the most? Which (non Godzilla) design do you like the most?

I'd say that Ebirah is even worse than Gabarah, because it's literally a giant fucking shrimp. Kamakuras and Humonga at least look pretty cool.
My favorite is probably Mecha King Ghidorah, but Destoroyah is a close second.
>>
>>14637799
>Godzilla vs Biollante.
You gave me idea.
>>
>>14637881
>all that negative space
really activates my mental almonds

All it needs now is Baragon peeking from either above or below.
>>
>>14637879
>A well reasoned argument is bait because for some reason I disagree with it
>>
>>14637870
There is one Millennium movie that's a direct sequel. They might have 3 concurrently running continuities: American, Anno, and Animated.

Semi-unrelated: Hollywood should up the ante on Shin Godzilla and give the 2014 sequel to David Cronenberg.

>>14637879
>Which monster design do you dislike the most?
Does that dumbass condor from Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster even count as a design? If so, that thing. Otherwise, probably Frankenstein Conquers the World's Frankenstein design (it's canon! Baragon is in DAM!) or King Kong vs. Godzilla/King Kong Escapes's Kong design. MechaniKong is pretty cool, though.

>Which (non Godzilla) design do you like the most?
I've always had a soft spot for Rodan. The Fire Rodan puppet and suit aren't great, but the design itself is on point. I love toys of that design.
>>
File: godziller.png (294KB, 898x600px) Image search: [Google]
godziller.png
294KB, 898x600px
>>14637794
>>
>>14637912
>Cronenzilla following Annozilla
fund it
>>14637922
I fucking hate this design
>>
File: 1435069863948.gif (1MB, 217x217px) Image search: [Google]
1435069863948.gif
1MB, 217x217px
>>14637912

>The new monster is Ballardon, a 118 meter tall vagina made of car crashes
>>
>>14637937
>godzilla starts out as an aborted fetus
>>
>>14637905
The edgelords in here only understand shitposting. A well-written statement is too complicated for them even if they actually agree with it when you strip away the confusing words and fancy talk.
>>
>>14638005

>Serizawa makes the Pussy Destroyer, a massive replica of the gristle gun from eXistenZ on treads with a phallic tip that drips gooey shit

>Serizawa has to fuck its "fueling hole" for it to work
>>
File: IMG_0428.jpg (303KB, 2732x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0428.jpg
303KB, 2732x2048px
>>14637794
Drew this this morning
>>
>>14638026
Braincase looks a bit small. Could be the pencil work but the jaw/neck interaction could use some work to give a sense of strength. I dig the snout and toothy grin, eyes are a bit large. Keep up the good work anon.
>>
>>14637629
I'm glad he and Aerostar are friends again
>>
File: exeggutor.gif (4MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
exeggutor.gif
4MB, 320x240px
>>14638034
Thanks bruv. Not too great at drawing kaiju but it's fun to do from time to time
>>
Finished Destroyah. Could've been amazing, instead it was just alright; which in this case is not a good thing because it was meant to be the grand, emotional finale.

By this point I really feel like the heisei era is the weakest. It's not BAD, it just didn't reach the highest highs of the showa & millenium series . People all over the world seem to fucking love heisei and go "meh" at the millenium films but I'm not really seeing it. Tokyo SOS and GMK may not have had ambitions as high as Destroyah, but they played their smaller part well. 2002 felt pretty satisfying in the end too though it's not as impressive as the other two.
>>
>>14638100
>Highest highs of Showa
>Showa

lol
>>
>>14638100
I chalk it up to nostalgia. I think a lot of heisei fans never watched the older stuff when it ran on tv. Heisei was just coming over on VHS. For whatever reason, it always seemed like the stores were pushing Heisei and the shittiest entries of the Showa Era like Godzilla vs Megalon and Godzilla's Revenge.
>>
>>14638131
There are far more nostalgic Showa fans than Heisei fans in general.
See how these threads mindlessly praise Showa as some kind of masterpieces but shit constantly on other Showa toku like Ultraman and Kamen Rider despite both of those having far better elements than any Godzilla made after the original.
>>
File: gmk_cthe_front.jpg (40KB, 350x498px) Image search: [Google]
gmk_cthe_front.jpg
40KB, 350x498px
>>14636859
I love that they're using the font from the first round of Sony DVD releases.
>>
>>14638141
Most people here weren't alive when the Showa movies came out. I've rewatched heisei and showa era movies critically, and the heisei movies don't fucking stand up. It's not nostalgia, it's having even an iota of taste.
>>
>>14638151
People who watched them as kids could have nostalgia you dumbass.
Also good job avoiding the rest of what I said you fanboy autist. Get over your fear of moralfag cooties and watch Ultraseven to see how thoroughly superior and more technically impressive a single episode was compared to an entire Godzilla movie of the time, which by the way were dying thanks to TV.
>>
>>14638131
At the time they were believed to be public domain for some reason. Seems like there were VHS tapes of the older movies in the 80s, but yeah by then it was the cheap ep tapes of the (then) modern movies or shit copies of Megalon.
>>
>>14638131
I was a teenager when Heisei was hitting its stride, so when I was little I rented stuff like Terror of MechaGodzilla and Godzilla vs. Megalon from Blockbuster, but as I got into my double-digit years I got too cool for that stuff. Heisei Godzilla's (ostensibly) darker tone and less cartoonish monster checked just the right boxes of childhood nostalgia and what teenagers think of as "mature."

As an adult, I admit that there's an element of nostalgia to both the Showa era and Heisei eras, and really to my enjoyment of Godzilla as a franchise, but now I'm too old to give a shit if I like things for the "wrong" reasons.

>>14638151
>>14638161
I was indeed born after 1975. When I was really little, though, I didn't know how old the Showa movies were. I knew that King of the Monsters was older, because it was black and white, and I knew that they weren't brand new but I didn't know that they were all 10+ years old.
>>
>>14638109
'54 was a great serious Godzilla, Ghidorah was a good light-hearted Godzilla, Mothra was a good mix.
>>14638141
I was 20 when I watched my first Godzilla film so there's zero nostalgia; I just can't help but find a lot of shit in the heisei films that makes me think "holy fuck, you missed a huge opportunity by doing that stupid thing instead of this other, obviously better thing". The best showa films feel like they succeeded at what they set out to do, along with Honda & Tsuburaya's directorial sense making them visually fun .
>>
File: 1374094724167.jpg (886KB, 864x1100px) Image search: [Google]
1374094724167.jpg
886KB, 864x1100px
Have the autists left yet?
>>
>>14638144
Nice catch.
>>
>>14638196
Pretty funny you say this considering you didn't even know Tsuburaya worked on DAM.
Or have such a revulsion for Ultraman, despite it being Tsuburaya's best work, just because the protagonist is god forbid a hero.
>>
>>14638198
Can we at least agree that Gigan is a great monster? He's the weirdest thing that someone could ever come up with that you still tell at a glance exactly what it is. Yeah, that thing is clearly an alien cyborg bio-weapon. I don't know what else it could even be, and I can't imagine him doing anything other than fighting Godzilla. He just looks like he belongs in exactly the role that he's in.

That he's also memorable and badass is just a bonus.
>>
>>14638235
>Pretty funny you say this considering you didn't even know Tsuburaya worked on DAM.
I always fact-check before making statements about staff. He supervised, but he wasn't the director and that made a world of a difference.
>>
>>14638258
Save face however you want buddy :^)
>>
>>14638258
>>14638235
The Tsuburaya films are full of compositions that make it look like they tried their best to get the best possible camera angle.
>>
>>14638243
Gigan is probably one of my favorite monsters, design wise. If I could combine the head of the rebuild version in Final Wars with the scythes instead of the chainsaw hands, it's be perfect. He ha a cool roar too.
>>
>>14638270
>>
>>14638196
But even Honda hated the Showa movies after a point and has severe disagreements with Tsuburaya. He even called the Monster Zero meme dance a fucking disgrace.
>>
>>14638282
Honda took the movies far more seriously than Tsuburaya; and I don't mean from a quality standpoint but a tone standpoint. For example the scene of Baragon & the horse from Frankenstein Conquers the World, Honda wanted it more realistic and Tsuburaya wanted it funnier.

Doesn't change the fact that both of them had a knack for framing shit well.
>>
>>14638282
I've never heard anyone say he went that far. He only didn't agree with putting/leaving it in the film. There's a huge difference between not finding something to your liking and thinking it's a disgrace. Those words don't even sound like things Honda would say. Don't equate the two to push your agenda. But yeah, Tsuburaya was the one interested in adding moments such as these.
>>
>>14638293
Even minor shots that aren't meant to be "epic" or anything still have aesthetic sense to them and feel like they thought "ok, let's shoot it from HERE so that it'll look better"
>>
>>14638302
Looking back at it, DAM has more good shots than I remembered. But it also has some that look like a 2D side-scrolling video game.
>>
>>14638307
Actually, this setup looks pretty cool. And it's a brief scene. No harm done.
>>
>>14638307
>>
>>14638310
I just feel there's too much flatness in here.
>>
>>14638315
>>14638310
THAT SAID, I had fun watching the scene so I'm not saying it's bad. And here's a good shot since I've been cherry picking.
>>
File: 1375187801743.jpg (224KB, 800x1178px) Image search: [Google]
1375187801743.jpg
224KB, 800x1178px
>>14638302
You mean like any halfway decent director?
What are you trying to prove with posting these same handful of screencaps every time? I say again: get over your asinine hatred of moral protagonists and go see what Ultraseven did with tiny sets and tv budget.

>>14638299
It was in Kalat's book.
>>
I saw Godzilla vs Hedorah again not too long ago and I'm kind of torn about it. It's an enjoyable film, a campy 1954 remake thatsubstitutes the atom bombing/air raid catharsis for concern over the 'four big pollution diseases of Japan' and most of the experimental snippets fit well enough.

On the other hand, it never adresses those issues clearly enough as the 1954 film did (Save the earth! Pollution is bad, kids!), it's got too much zeitgeist (Bond theme! Hippies! Gamera films! You could say that most Godzilla films rip off something, but it hasn't aged well) and Godzilla himself could be replaced by any kyodai hero or whatever. I'd rank it among the best late-showa films for trying something else, but it still feels formulaic for its time.

However, I think Hedorah is the best monster of the franchise after the big G. I mean, how can't you love a constantly evolving, vagina-eyed shambling mass of confused sludge that looks like it can barely walk or even stay upright without collapsing itself? It's a nasty untouchable bastard that attacks by spitting, farting and shitting all over the place AND a original metaphor monster like Godzilla (Nuclear power/WWII), Biollante (Bioengineering) and... Gabara for bullying, I guess?
The fact that Shin does the whole evolving tadpole thing again doesn't hurt it at all.
>>
File: 41988669_p0.jpg (2MB, 2166x1498px) Image search: [Google]
41988669_p0.jpg
2MB, 2166x1498px
So thread, what is your favourite monster theme? Example: Ghidorah's, Mecha G's, Space G, Rodan, etc.
Hard Mode: No Gojira
>>
>>14638319
>>14638310
Really, my point is that it was a "monster stomping around a city" scene and given the amount of tall buildings surrounding Godzilla & Rodan, there just wasn't enough dramatic framing in their shots. It just too often felt like a waste of a good set.
>>14638323
Ultraseven is already in my "to definitely watch in the future" list
>>
File: Shin Godzilla not invited.jpg (123KB, 768x729px) Image search: [Google]
Shin Godzilla not invited.jpg
123KB, 768x729px
Other than Gojira, KingKong vs Godzilla and Mothra vs Godzilla, the rest of the Showa movies are shit. Only enjoyable for the camp.
>>
>>14638344
You should move it to the front of the queue. UltraSeven's fantastic.
>>
>>14638326
> feels formulaic for its time
What?!

Godzilla vs Hedorah is cynical in nature. It attacks conservatives and liberals of the time. Humanity's failure to dispose of waste properly and the like leads to Hedorah and a potential world ending scenario. Eventually the younger generation, while having legitimate grievances, gets short-sighted and essentially gives up. I guess this is how Banno felt about the youth of his day.
No one alone can tackle the issue, this applies to Godzilla as well. It takes a combined effort to stop the pollution problem and even then it could easily start again if humanity isn't careful.

Anyway, it's definitely in my top ten favorite Godzilla films. Maybe Top 5 even.
>>
>>14638349
I want to but I might have to just import the DVDs given there aren't torrents in my usual sources, I don't have access to any super sekrit invite-only toku communities (if they exist) and I hate streaming.
>>
>>14638344
You mean definitely whine about in the future.
Can't wait to see you bitch about how you didn't understand the ending, as it embodies problematic themes for you like honor, selflessness and integrity.

>>14638349
Don't bother. He's going to compare it to the Gamera Trilogy and call it garbage
>>
>>14638334
So not counting Godzilla's theme, Mothra's, Destoroyah's, Kiryu's, then MechaGodzilla (1974), in that order
>>
I wish that the next godzilla movie would not be related to shin. It's like GMK, it's a iteresting and dark take on godzilla, but it should stay as a solo movie. Fingers crossed that the next movie will have a different design, monsters and feel.
>>
>>14638497
Godzilla should stay serious. The movie also sets up a sequel in as old fashioned a monster movie way as possible.
>>
File: minilla bully.png (222KB, 801x1808px) Image search: [Google]
minilla bully.png
222KB, 801x1808px
>>14637794
60 godzillion hours in MS Paint
>>
>>14638334
Mechagodzilla II's, without a doubt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KXLa9TUusE
>>
>>14637031
Imagine if Final Wars was made by a director who didn't think every showa film until 1975 was terrible.
>>
File: 28969288976_539ab0c14d_o.jpg (489KB, 1048x1048px) Image search: [Google]
28969288976_539ab0c14d_o.jpg
489KB, 1048x1048px
>>14638235
>>14638258

Directors of Special Effects

Eiji Tsuburaya: Gojira - Monster Zero

Sadamasa Arikawa (under the "supervision" of Tsuburaya): Sea Monster, Son of Godzilla, and DAM.

Ishiro Honda (a sickly Tsuburaya was credited out of respect): Godzilla's Revenge

Teruyoshi Nakano: Godzilla vs Hedorah - Return of Godzilla.

Koichi Kawakita: Godzilla vs Biollante - Godzilla vs Destoroyah.

Kenji Suzuki: Godzilla 2000 and Megagurius

Makoto Kamiya and Shinji Higuchi: GMK

Yûichi Kikuchi: Godzilla x MechaGodzilla

Eiichi Asada: Tokyo SOS and Final Wars

Shinji Higuchi: Shin Godzilla
>>
>>14638506
>The movie also sets up a sequel in as old fashioned a monster movie way as possible.
The godzilla series has a rather loose continuity nowadays. GMK ended with godzillas beating heart, and we never saw anything GMK related again. Every series should have its serious movie (54, 84, GMK) and some semi serious entries. I dont want another depressing and dark movie after this one. We got our releveant, depressing and dark movie right now, we dont need another one for some time.

1954 was a dark and relevant because of the nuclear messages.
Return was dark and relevant because of the cold war messages.
The new one is relevant because of the earthquake/nuclear disaster messages.
Unless there is another point that needs to be hammered home with a super serious movie, we dont need the next one to be like this. The next one should be a semi serious vs. movie.
>>
>>14638540
I disagree because it's a slippery slope. Down the line I don't want retarded goofy shit again.
>>
File: Minya's stoned.png (123KB, 320x310px) Image search: [Google]
Minya's stoned.png
123KB, 320x310px
>the same faggot trying to justify his hate for Showa and his love of heisei thunder thighs and shitty beam wars.
>>14638540
>heart beating
That was Kaneko's way of saying Godzilla never truly dies.
>no GMK again
GMK suit was considered for the Kiryu saga, but it was too tall.
>>
Do Showa fags in here seriously prefer Adam West Batman to Dark Knight or BvS? Think about it. That's what you're advocating.
>>
>>14638553
Why can't you enjoy both. You know Dark Knight is just to appeal to edge lords right? And because of that series spawned THREE Jokers in the DC universe now?
>>
>>14638551
>>the same faggot trying to justify his hate for Showa and his love of heisei thunder thighs and shitty beam wars.
Are you talking about me? I like all godzilla movies, but mostly showa.
>>
File: Showa sucks.gif (980KB, 500x220px) Image search: [Google]
Showa sucks.gif
980KB, 500x220px
SHOWA SUCKS!
ALL MONSTERS ARE BLAND AND UNINSPIRED
NOT LIKE MUH LEGION AND MUH IRISU
BE MORE LIKE LEGION AND IRISU SHOWA
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
SPECIAL EFFEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECTS
>>
>>14638555
Pre-BvS I could see your point.

Then BvS came along and it now feels like DC decided Nolan didn't go edgy ENOUGH.

I mean, this is the movie that introduced Jimmy Olsen just to have him get headshotted by an African warlord within five minutes and Batman branding criminals with a mark that will get them murdered in prison.

By comparison, the Nolan films are dark, but they'd still look at this and go "Jesus Christ, buddy. Lighten up!"
>>
>>14638560
Yeah this
Gamera faglord needs to fuck off already
>>
>>14638553
We'll just overlook the blatant, laughable borrowing from Hollywood films in the Heisei Era, huh (worse than whatever the last couple of Showa entries are guilty of)? Or the effects that regularly dip below the standards of Tsuburaya's films thirty years earlier? Or the dull characters, lazy filming, overweight statuesque monsters, and beam spamming? Just because they take themselves more "seriously" and are more recent, doesn't make them better.
>>
File: Redman.png (143KB, 245x226px) Image search: [Google]
Redman.png
143KB, 245x226px
>mother fucker saying Dark Knight is the best gritty super hero
>there's been one since the 70's.
>>
>>14638562
>I mean, this is the movie that introduced Jimmy Olsen just to have him get headshotted by an African warlord within five minutes

I don't even care for DC and this sounds like the most retarded idea ever.

Like I cannot put into words how OW THE EDGE this sounds.
>>
Am i the only one who seriously loves the showa movies? Maybe it is because i watched all of the ultraman shows when i was young and the ones from 1966-80 are the ones i have a fondness for. Same with the showa movies. I can pop in a millenium movie or some show like ultraman nexus and enjoy them as good entertainment, but in my heart, i prefer the old stuff.
>>
>>14638588
>Am i the only one
You know it's just 1-2 people that's constantly shitting on Showa, right?

I don't pay attention much to the Godzilla generals and even I know they're shitposting.
>>
>>14637656
>Negroid turtles
I laughed more at than than I should have, and I'm a /pol/ regular. Speaking of tmnt, did Brad Garret do a good Krang?

>>14637879
Ebirah is great for a Kong villain, but not up to snuff for Godzilla to fight. I'd say Kamakarus and Gabara will always be the worst monsters though.

Anguirus, Mothra, and Bio-tan are my favorite nongojis. Each has something quintessential and timeless to their designs.
>>
>>14638569
Can no one stop the menace that is Redman?
>>
>>14638553
Are there people who DON'T prefer Adam West over BvS? You're really undermining your own point by bringing that movie up. It just demonstrates that camp done well is better than grit done poorly.
>>
Giving them another watch now, I'm really enjoying the Millennium films
>>
>>14637409
I need to see this in a theater.
>>
>>14638594
>You know it's just 1-2 people that's constantly shitting on Showa, right?
Do you really think there's a second one, or are just hedging your bets?
>>
>>14637409
and then Godzilla was a God Warrior.

Oh fuck do I hope this sees a theater run in the US
>>
>>14638623
It was more like 'just in case', yeah.
>>
>>14638588
You're not allowed to enjoy Showa Ultraman in here.
>>
File: PoliZilla.png (657KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
PoliZilla.png
657KB, 1280x800px
Here's an hypothetical first form
>>
>>14638644
i wanna kick it
i mean, if it was like tiny dog-sized y'know?
>>
>>14638568
If we were talking about Kamen Rider or Ultraman you wouldn't make a peep you hypocritical cunt. Only Godzilla is allowed the grorious invincible Showa reputation despite the majority of his movies being blatantly inferior to what was on tv.
>>
File: rainbow_mothra_1997_01.jpg (37KB, 753x467px) Image search: [Google]
rainbow_mothra_1997_01.jpg
37KB, 753x467px
>>14638596
I have a question: how do Mothra fans feel about Leo Mothra, as a design? It's one of the biggest departures that there's been from the conventional Mothra design while still clearly being the same creature.
>>
>>14638644
Hypothetical nothing, that is the tadpole people who read the script kept bringing up.
>>
>>14638646
Now we know why he hates mankind so much! It was YOU!
>>
>>14638649
>the only other tv shows when Godzilla was running until the toku boom of the 70s
>were UltraQ
>Ultraman
>Magma Giant

Yeah OK, cunt.
>>
>>14638650
I love it. It's honestly my favorite Mothra design.
>>
>>14638650
If his movies were better, people wouldn't dislike his tumblr wings so much. That being said, the fact we got a male mothra isn't kosher with most folks in the first place. It's just one of those "wait, why did they do that all of a sudden?" things that leaves you scratching your head, especially when that trilogy was made to capitalize on a female audience to begin with.
>>
>Dad saying Shin Godzilla looks like Kermit
>Nah, can't be
>This
>>14638644
>muppet eyes
>muppet arms
>starts as a fucking tadpole

IT'S SHIN KERMIT
>>
>>14638660
I immediately thought, "Somebody has to have drawn that already."

They have.
>>
File: 1255101695257.jpg (34KB, 290x392px) Image search: [Google]
1255101695257.jpg
34KB, 290x392px
>>14638655
Yeah and? Ultraman was absolutely better than Godzilla movies of the time and when Kamen Rider was born Godzilla was fucking done. TV was pulling in audiences that Godzilla simply didn't deserve anymore. Sorry your fanboy autism for declining and mediocre films won't let you admit it. Please, by all means try to argue that vs Megalon was better than Kamen Rider.
>>
>>14638659
I don't see how a flamboyant male mothra would be jarring to the female audiences or anything
>>
>>14638653
maybe he shouldn't look so god damn retarded and kickable????
>>
>>14637794
it doesnt look like he's jumping but I assure you he is
>>
>>14638672
I'll kick you! No bully!
>>
File: 1471582338086.png (1MB, 1025x766px) Image search: [Google]
1471582338086.png
1MB, 1025x766px
>>14638649
Sure, Megalon and All Monsters Attack are inferior. But it's probably about time you check yourself out of the discussion if you think tokusatsu television is better than Honda/Tsuburaya work of the 50s and 60s.
>>
>>14636889
I agree. It was a return to the fast-paced Godzilla battles of the Showa era. Heisei was atrocious a and boring with its obsese beam spamming monsters.
>>
>>14638670
Ragone's book points out how Moths in Japan are a feminine symbol, so it's wired by default we got a male one. It'd be like a norse movie replacing Freyja with a random guy for no reason.

To add to my original post, the OTHER big issue people have with Leo is the Toriyama-esque power inflation and ass-pulls. It's bad enough Momthra endured the beam wars cycle, but light speed, time travel, armor mode, eternal mode, and fish mode are too much.
>>
>>14638588
I'm indifferent towards Showa. I prefer Heisei and Millennium over it since I grew up with films from those eras.

>>14638650
I love that design.
>>
>>14638680
It's clear you've never seen Ultraman.
>>
File: CluYbHGWMAEi71W.jpg (10KB, 376x332px) Image search: [Google]
CluYbHGWMAEi71W.jpg
10KB, 376x332px
>>14638679
well come to my god damn house and try you fuckface after we watch a godzilla film and a few episodes of ultraman cosmos, maybe
>>
>>14638667
>Destroy All Monsters
>Bad
>>
>>14638693
>Pigmon
>Zarab
>Gyango
>Bemlar
>Pestar
>Gamakujira
>better then Godzilla vs Megalon
>>
File: turned on.jpg (51KB, 492x362px) Image search: [Google]
turned on.jpg
51KB, 492x362px
>>14638695
>>
File: Zillermen.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
Zillermen.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
Also, tail spoiler
>>
>>14638650
I always wished Mothra Leo would get a vs Godzilla movie

It would be much more interesting than the fights normal Mothra got with him
>>
>>14638693
>watching some jet jaguar ripoff
>>
>>14638697
This loser seems to think so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu4fVnWwl30
>>
>>14638660
>>14638665
JOEL? JOEL? DID YOU DOWNLOAD BOOBS AGAIN JOEL?
>>
>>14638714
>trusting a guy from TohoKingdom's review
>says the fan favorite 1968 suit is terrible
>>
>>14638714
Why do these """reviewers""" always try to be funnier than they naturally are?
>>
>>14638551
where the hell do all these Minya reactions come from? They look goofy as hell
>>
>>14638727
I never implied I trusted his opinion, as you can infer by my calling him a loser.

>>14638731
Autisim. Can you imagine how many monthly tugboats it took to afford all that merchandise in the background?
>>
File: Minya screaming.png (230KB, 374x383px) Image search: [Google]
Minya screaming.png
230KB, 374x383px
>>14638736
FROM YOUR MOM
>>
File: blini.png (440KB, 412x649px) Image search: [Google]
blini.png
440KB, 412x649px
>>14638739
no friend, seriously
>>
>>14638745
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysXt4VuCBww
>>
>>14638748

This is making me uncomfortable.
>>
>>14638748
I'll pretend I never asked
>>
>>14638748
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHERrp_DYtQ
>>
File: Burning Minya.jpg (17KB, 532x440px) Image search: [Google]
Burning Minya.jpg
17KB, 532x440px
>>14638750
>>
File: tail creatures.png (680KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
tail creatures.png
680KB, 1280x800px
>>14638705
Bigger one
>>
>>14638714
>Trilby
>Coat
>Gloves
>"Look at all the money I've spent on figures!"
>Stroking a Godzilla figure like he's Blofeld

This is the face of autism
>>
>>14638844
He's trying to distinguish himself from the competition. But yeah, he could probably do better.
>>
>>14638795
So... what you're saying is that there isn't a little Godzilla in all of us, but a little bit of all of us is in Godzilla?
>>
>>14638855
>He's trying to distinguish himself from the competition

He's failing miserably at that when his """humor""" is composed almost entirely of random sound effects and pop-culture references.
>>
>>14638865
Just like every reviewer.
>>
>>14638865
Oh. I remember now. Yeah that was bad. Never mind, can't really defend him anymore.
>>
File: CqDJD3OVYAAXz1W.png (270KB, 595x842px) Image search: [Google]
CqDJD3OVYAAXz1W.png
270KB, 595x842px
>>14638705
>>14638795
>>14638859
Maybe we're all Godzilla, anon.
>>
>>14638865
>>14638868
>>14638873
Have we found our linkara?
>>
>>14638900

Get in the fucking Godzilla, Shinji.
>>
File: tumblr_oasr711MRH1qcqjsdo1_400.jpg (29KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oasr711MRH1qcqjsdo1_400.jpg
29KB, 400x225px
>>14638900
So that's what's under that metal plating?
>>
>>14638844
>Blofeld
That's the name I was thinking of, thanks for reminding me.

Is this tard really a part of TK though?
>>
>>14638900

Regenerator G1 is a helluva drug.
>>
>>14639022
>Is this tard really a part of TK though?

He looks the type.
>>
>>14638916
>Get in Shin G, Shinji
>>
File: 1426122137625.gif (719KB, 500x384px) Image search: [Google]
1426122137625.gif
719KB, 500x384px
>>14639080
>Shin G
Like pottery
>>
>>14638629
Funimation got the rights, so we will get it. But it's Funimation so, there' that too.
>>
>>14637630
>Stop liking things I don't like the post, the experience, the major motion picture slated for release later this year with the promotional my opinions > your opinions mini-series
>>
>>14639327
>the post, the experience, the major motion picture slated for release later this year with the promotional my opinions > your opinions mini-series

Dammit I chortled
>>
>>14638551
>GMK suit was considered for the Kiryu saga, but it was too tall.
Why didnt they just make the mechagodzilla suit just as tall? Or pul la batogoji and make a shorter replica of the GMK suit
>>
>>14639327
I love how he's been bashed, criticized, ridiculed, called out, made fun of, and btfo'd for 10+ threads and all he can ever muster up in response is a whimper, mumbled "...g-grow up...."
I'm honestly starting to think he has schizophrenia, he writing styles are all over the place and still revolve around the same central themes. Can't be a group effort either, its too consistent.
>>
New thread >>14639496
Thread posts: 309
Thread images: 103

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.