[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /m/ think of Gundam Wing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 22

File: 6613.jpg (46KB, 225x319px) Image search: [Google]
6613.jpg
46KB, 225x319px
Watched all of the UC gundams already and moving on to the other "timelines" and wanted to know what people generally think of this show.
>>
>>14633158

>"You thought G Gundam was bad, wait 'til you getta load of this!"
>>
>>14633158
It has some stand-out moments and some fantastic MS designs, but it's a bit too long for it's own good. Uses way too much stock footage and it's generally just really slow.
>>
>>14633169
I actually skipped G Gundam despite wanting to watch the non UC gundam in order of release.
>>
>>14633158

Wing dabbles with some interesting ideas, like the role of soldiers in peace and how drone warfare could change things, things that could have made it ahead of its time if it had really done anything with them. Sadly it barely even dabbles in them and focuses more on melodrama, so unless you're big on that it's not really worth much beyond interesting ideas. The dub adds some cheese to make it more entertaining, but it's still rather a wash.
>>
File: 1470960605641.jpg (1MB, 1920x2160px) Image search: [Google]
1470960605641.jpg
1MB, 1920x2160px
>>14633158
Wing has some amazing moments and some of the strongest cast of characters in the history of the IP. The hot potato politics are really good at keeping you guessing how its going to end and does a good job of blurring the lines of badguys in a lot of cases (and just being badly written bad guys in a very few key cases).

But the biggest problem is pacing.

For every "OMG! ITS A GUNDAM!!" and just overall slaughter with mobile suits, you have

>So... Youre............... milliardo...... peacecraft............... of the sainc.... kingdom.....
and cant EVER forget
>HEEEERRROOOO
>HHHHEEEEEEEEROOOOOO
>herro.....
>HEEEEEEEEEEROOOOO YYYYUUUUUYYYYYY
>...HERROOOOOO

Its a good show if you can stand to push past the bad and it really will leave you will a long lasting remembrance of the show. Just so long as you dont go past endless waltz and read frozen teardrop. ever.
>>
>>14633158
aggressively mediocre
>>
>>14633158
Not as good as G, X or Build Fighters
>>
File: 60397-ep39.jpg (40KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
60397-ep39.jpg
40KB, 512x384px
>>14633158
Megatron plays the bad guy!
>>
>>14633158

A pretty meh cast all around, decent grunt designs, left over G Gundam designs, not very good politics, and overrated Tallgeese.
>>
still waiting on Rightstuf to release the blurays of this series.
>>
>>14633158
If you want to watch Wing...
watch 00, it's a better-generally-the-same thing
>>
>>14633181
G Gundam actually came out before Wing.
>>
>>14633158
It is the west's first gundam on tv and has lots of nostalgia value associated with it. It is the only gundam series many non gundsn fans in the u.s. have seen.
>>
>>14633542
They're nothing alike though.
>>
I watched it for the first time last year.

It was great until Relena became more of a character around Episode 9 or so.
>>
JUST WILD
>>
>>14633216
Were you watching the dub?
>>
>>14633158

Damn excellent soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ8LtuZyRew

And that's even before the two OP, which are great if you like J-pop.
>>
>>14634356
BEAT
>>
>>14633158
It was the first anime that made me get interested in Gundam.

Back then I was really new to anime.
>>
It's been years since I've watched it, but I remember some distinctly bad ass scenes.

Like (the blonde pansy one???) getting a hold of the Wing Zero (or system that it used) and going insane and just destroying an entire colony.

I know Relina was an annoying bitch, and Heero was stone-cold, no personality, muh-mission, which in this day and age would be considered an edgelord unfortunately, but I don't know why you can't have a show have a character like that every once in a while.

It's like Final Fantasy. You have Sephiroth who has a mom-thing going on, but Kefka was simply bad just 'cuz. Sometimes you don't need a reason. And it's refreshing to have a "just 'cuz" character and not have it been lazy-as-shit writing.
>>
>>14633158

I think it's all right. Don't regret watching it but I don't think it's a particularly great mecha. Love several of the Mobile Suits, some pretty good songs too. The constant shuffling around of locations and affiliations along with the superpowered MCs make me regard it as Gundam like a silly over the top Hollywood action movie. It's easy to absorb. I loved the fights between the unique MS's, and there's a good fanservice quality with how the pilots mix and match them and fight. The drone machines and Treize commenting on how they change the nature of war are the best part about the show, but so minimal that it can be easy to even miss the legitimacy of some of his points. I wonder how it'd be as a three cour.
>>
wing is underrated. its completely over the top and played with a straight face, its politics included. it owns. normies and ppl who dont get the aforementioned shit think the middle portion of the show is boring and i've literally seen someone post on here about falling asleep watching it lol
>>
its definitely the best alternate universe series by far
>>
I admit I've never been into Gundam, but once I tried to get into the it and watched this and dropped it after the 2nd episode.

The main character was an insufferable edgelord in all the non-good ways.

A friend of mine who is into Gundam told me to give it another shot, and I should because, damn, I know it was only the 2nd episode, but it was so fucking bad.
>>
>>14633158
Overrated. 00 was better.
>>
>>14633158
Some of my favorite characters and designs are from Wing, but even I can't defend how austistically they behave or the story plot or heavy reuse of stock footage. Wing is pretty mediocre in general.
>>
Wing is the kind of show which has a seemingly very good plot on paper, about grand stragegy politics with lots of factions and high stakes, but when you watch it you feel like those mexican soap-operas full of bad acting, nonsensical dialogue and characters switching sides every ten episodes or so for no reason.

The first few episodes are worth watching for the memes, but characters are so bland and unbearable that you probably will drop it halfway.
>>
>>14635953
>A friend of mine who is into Gundam told me to give it another shot
He lied to you
>>
File: gundam-wing-zero_306506.jpg (299KB, 1280x881px) Image search: [Google]
gundam-wing-zero_306506.jpg
299KB, 1280x881px
>>14633158
I love it since my waifu is in it. oh, and the EW version a shit
>>
File: 135888448_640.jpg (22KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
135888448_640.jpg
22KB, 640x427px
>>14633216
>Wing has some amazing moments
>>14633171
>It has some stand-out moments
>>14633181
>I actually skipped G Gundam
>>14633183
>Wing dabbles with some interesting ideas
>>
Wing has:

- A great dub (for good and bad voices)
- Hilariously over the top dialogue
- Everyone is insane
- The Status Quo keeps shifting
- Great narration
- Good designs
- Amazing still pictures

If that sounds good, try it.
>>
>>14638791
>everyone is insane

isn't this this the standard though?
>>
>>14638791
>- Amazing still pictures
Damn right it does. Someone start dropping the screencaps.
>>
>>14639727
Name a scene. I don't mean it as a challenge, I honestly don't remember when exactly, but I do recall the background art being nice.
>>
>>14639731
Someone on this board has a webm of what I think was a hijacked Taurus shooting up a Leo or something. Sorry, been a long ass time since I've seen it, but he and a few others pointed out how on model the whole sequenced looked, with some small details on the suits.

Part of that though is just the nature of film anime and the style back then to have good still images but not the most fluid movement. Which I always liked better. Of course, Wing is full of stiff movement and sometimes dry coreography but it's a treat on the eyes in terms of art quality. Moreso than G and X imho.
>>
File: Taurus Treize Faction.webm (2MB, 640x528px) Image search: [Google]
Taurus Treize Faction.webm
2MB, 640x528px
>>14639745
I don't recall any scene like that, except for when misguided mobile doll AI started shooting up Leos inside a hangar because they were set to regard anything attempting to escape their base as hostile enemies. Some Leos were detected leaving the area, so the Taurus dolls shot them down. The Tauruses knew that there were more Leos inside their own base's hangar, so they went in there and started shooting them all up.

I rather like this scene from the show when Tauruses were fighting Virgos. Usually Virgos are boringly invulnerable to everything but Gundams and suicide attacks, but this sequence was pretty cool.
>>
File: treize.jpg (13KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
treize.jpg
13KB, 300x225px
Fucking love wing, favorite Gundam besides msg.

Touches on themes no other Gundam series has like what is an ideal soldier? What happens when you replace real lives in warfare with machines? How exactly do you obtain peace or maintain peace after war? Sure the whole pacifism thing with Releina didn't really pan out well but I loved Dorothy always challenging her beliefs(and those...eyebrows). Hero is not an edge lord. He is actually very sensitive but Wing doesn't reveal thia as much as it should. Just about every Gundam protagonist has a mental breakdown in the cockpit. If you're in a war and have to rely on an emotional teenager with uncontrollable hormones piloting your super weapon of mass destructio you better pray he's atleast half as composed as Heero. That nigga kept his shit together. I'd trust him before I'd let a 'my emotions are made of glass' young new type with my life.

Only character I love more is Treize "I remember their names" Kushrenada
>>
File: mikudayo5.jpg (26KB, 468x314px) Image search: [Google]
mikudayo5.jpg
26KB, 468x314px
Heero and the chink were the reason why wing sucked ass
>>
>>14633158
When I was a kid watching this on Toonami I thought that they were talking about things I didn't understand. Now that I am older I realize they didn't either. It is about as deep as a puddle. But hot damn do they try to tell a story. I still find it entertaining regardless because of how melodramatic it is.
>>
File: 1386132092160.png (120KB, 434x400px) Image search: [Google]
1386132092160.png
120KB, 434x400px
>>14638788
>Gfag can't handle the bantz
>>
>>14633158
I'm getting quite a ways in UC and I was considering just stopping and leaving it at UC.
>>
>>14633158
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtQkoecIzng

Heero doesnt give fucks HAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>14633158
possibly the most melodramatic thing in existence
>>
When it was running on toonami i thought it was the coolest thing and as i watched/read more content i was still remembering it with rose glasses. When i came back and watched it again i felt like very few of the characters were likable at all, the story wasnt making me want to know what would happen next and out of all the gundam ive seen so far it gave me the biggest feeling of "we want to sell you toys and the story and characters come after" out of any of them. And if i could get rid of one show and replace it with something else i'd rather have a show folowing the leader of the turbines in ibo and his rise to the position he is at in ibo. It could be an action romantic comedy harem show about smuggling and business and i'd still prefer that over gundam wing.
>>
File: 15.png (2MB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
15.png
2MB, 1440x1080px
>>14638791
>Amazing still pictures

The level of detail in not only the backgrounds but frames can be amazing. Only appears for one frame in the OP, but adding that reflection is perfect. One of the many reasons I'm glad I sprung for the blu-ray box.
>>
File: 1452974653674.png (105KB, 584x338px) Image search: [Google]
1452974653674.png
105KB, 584x338px
>>14633158
My perspective of someone who watched Gundam solely through piracy on Computer.
After good initial episodes, it felt really boring till the end. Plot felt like mix mash of good ol' formula with interesting bits here and there (use of automatons in war). Side characters fall between okayish to pretty good. Trize and Zechs stole the show, I would had seen it as them being MC. Or just remove Wufei. Seriously fuck that guy.

What I actually liked was Endless Waltz (movie version).In short span it was way better than what tv series could offer in 27 episodes yet you have to undertake the strenuous journey through the bore of a tv series first( just like in Stargazer's case). At the end, I would admit that the it was worth the payoff.

From the pic related, I can fairly assume the cycle in 90s is repeated in this decade. And it pisses me off how same thing happened again this time too.
>>
>>14653876
>My perspective is of someone
Fixed.
>>
>>14653876
Beyond his initial "BECUZ UR A WOMAN" scene, I barely remember Wufei. Hell, I keep forgetting that Trieze dies at the end of Wing, because I forgot that he fights, and loses to, Wufei.
>>
File: 1459564557851.jpg (5KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1459564557851.jpg
5KB, 225x225px
>>14653991
>and loses to, Wufei.
>mfw this happens
>mfw he is the same shit in EW despite everyone moved on in life.
>>
That initial shot of the Tallgeese holding it's own head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3HrlQYa9i4
>>
>>14653876
Not going to lie, I never made it past like 5 or so episodes of Wing, and I liked Endless Waltz and didn't really feel like I was missing anything.
>>
File: leotransport.jpg (92KB, 600x234px) Image search: [Google]
leotransport.jpg
92KB, 600x234px
>>
>>14638777
EW is shit in general, should have called it Edgy Waltz.
>>
>>14650018
Seriously the only thing I remember about this one are the many scenes of tank-topped men staring longingly at each other.
>>
>>14639674

The Wing cast is particularly crazy, even for Gundum.

Heero is a suicidal sociopath, Quatre is a repressed homosexual with genocidal tendencies, etc.
>>
File: 1575.jpg (89KB, 871x968px) Image search: [Google]
1575.jpg
89KB, 871x968px
>>
File: 1472180274781.png (137KB, 268x268px) Image search: [Google]
1472180274781.png
137KB, 268x268px
>>14633569
>child soldiers
>earth vs space
>muh war
>muh ideals
>>
Why not watch TooLongDidn'tWatch's hatchet edit of Wing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npDP5JPecTQ

A shame he died at episode 22 though. RIP in peace.
>>
>>14664587
If you boil it down that hard, then you could say IBO is pretty much the same as Wing
>>
>>14665257
IBO also happens on mars, the same location for frozen teardrop. Somehow i wonder.....
>>
>>14664614
Glad I didn't go for the dub in retrospect.
>>
>>14633542
00 is fucking terrible, though.

It has the same flaws as Wing but amplified.

Oh, also 3/4ths of the Gundam pilots are emo tryhard faggots. LockOn is cool, but has probably some of the shittiest writing in Gundam history associated with him later on.
>>
File: destleo.gif (3MB, 603x464px) Image search: [Google]
destleo.gif
3MB, 603x464px
>>
>>14639674
Wing's cast takes insanity to its logical conclusion. They're all fucking nutjobs and they probably know it and don't give a shit.
It's a tad narcissistic, but each and every one of them being a selfish cunt (except for some of the background ladies like Noin and Wufei's cougar lady) makes for memorable character interactions.

Particularly such incidents like Trowa being deep down a sociopathic amnesiac clown libertarian who may or may not find his friends trying to kill themselves in amusing ways entertaining.

The only two that don't sit well are Wufei and Zechs.
Wufei is just a badly characterized misogynist assberger.
Zechs starts off pretty fun, but they shove him into a CCA scenario that makes relatively little sense given his previous inclinations.
>>
Truthfully it's badly overstretched in terms of plot.

Like someone glued together a ton of subplots and didn't take the time to flesh any out.

The show feels like 3 full-length seasons crammed into one.
>>
>>14633158
Wasted potential. Wasted too much time on politics and not enough of Wing Gundam and back story.
>>
File: dgw6hair-5.jpg (52KB, 308x440px) Image search: [Google]
dgw6hair-5.jpg
52KB, 308x440px
>>14650065

>There will never be a spin-off anime of Duo and Hilde working at the junkyard.

>>14653994

He was a shitty character from start to finish. He didn't have any positive factors going for him compared to everyone else.

With EW, Trowa cemented his status as the most bro-tier of the five. He was a great character once he got his shit together.
>>
>>14670925

Trowa following Heero all over the world on his autistic suicidal tour where he asks EVERY family member of the military leaders he killed to take revenge on him was unreal.
>>
Worst Gundam. Trieze was the only good thing about it.
>>
File: OZ-06MS Smagg the Smug.png (328KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
OZ-06MS Smagg the Smug.png
328KB, 500x667px
>>
>>14633158
Toonami nostalgia.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (64KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
64KB, 1280x720px
All I need to know about Gundam Wing is that it spawned pic related.

Gundam should have more non-Zaku asymmetrical designs.
>>
>>14670925

I think Zech's actions made sense. His whole deal with leaving OZ was in part Heero inspired him but not being bound to any pomp or chivalry and just being a "pure" soldier instead, it makes sense he would join up with White Fang, who embodied the same kind of ideals and attitudes that the Gundam pilots did in the early episodes.
>>
>>14638791
>- The Status Quo keeps shifting

Thats really the best part of Wing imo. The constantly developing socio-political situation makes the world very interesting. And seeing how the Gundam pilots fail their mission at first, but end up indirectly changing the course of events through inspiring others, who then help pick them back up again and lead them to the series' end where they get their shit together, makes for a really satisfying arc, even if the Gundam boys are bad characters.
>>
File: pottery.jpg (223KB, 958x1440px) Image search: [Google]
pottery.jpg
223KB, 958x1440px
>>
>>14670925
>who may or may not find his friends trying to kill themselves in amusing ways entertaining.
Which made his obligatory scene where he tries to self-destruct Heavyarms really confusing. Everyone else I can sort of understand, but he seemed to try it just for the sake of it.

He's still the only Gundam pilot there with any brains in him whatsoever.
>>
Zechs is the only decent Char Clone
>>
>>14633158
tl;dw Gundam wing was never completed.
I'm sad.
>>
I hear the director quit or was thrown out half way through. does anyone know at what point that was?
>>
I downloaded the Blu Ray series of Wing.
Should I be watching it in Subbed or Dubbed?
>>
>>14686375
English so you can hear glorious Septum
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtI0Aal3C6w
Never gets old
>>
>>14633158
My favorite Gundam series just slightly above G Gundam.
>>
>>14686425
Who did this? I've been looking through various credits but no one has this VA listed.
>>
>>14679550

I liked the very last episodes where the boys are all in the spaceship before the final fight. It was interesting seeing them all together since they spent most of the time alone or in pairs.

It was a bit short and underhwelming though, I would have liked a few more SoL moments of Squad Loonies together.
>>
File: tumblr_mcis7pDhFw1qh3ube.jpg (111KB, 500x367px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mcis7pDhFw1qh3ube.jpg
111KB, 500x367px
>>14688008
ugh.

there is enough SoL depicted in the Gundam W extra materials; let's leave the show itself out of it please.
>>
>>14642129

One of my all time favorite quotes.

"I believe what mankind needs is not absolute victory but a certain demeanor in fighting - an attitude toward fighting. In other words I fear that the era of the soulless weapons called mobile dolls, the era that the Romefeller Foundation is creating, may become an embarassment to the people of the future."

"With a fancy gun that has long forgotten the meaning of battle, I would feel no emotion, even if I were to shoot an enemy right through the heart."

Treize Khushrenada
>>
>>14688021
Heero
>Why is this homo hugging me

Duo
>Ayyy girl, wanna see me get it on with my guitarist

Trowa
>I don't really care what's going on, I just wanna play this bass

Quatre has got this 100 yard stare going on, and Wufei looks like he's confused and angry.
>>
>>14633158
I don't care for it, but I liked Treize and Duo.
>>
>>14688255
Replace "play this bass" with "pilot this giant robot", and that summarizes the actual series outside of Trieze/Zechs shenanigans.
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.