[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

LaserDisc

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 17

File: laser.gif (89KB, 464x348px) Image search: [Google]
laser.gif
89KB, 464x348px
I want to get into LaserDisc. What's model machine should I buy & what are some good laserdiscs to own?
>>
LD is a piece of shit meme medium only good for autistic hipsters (that's why moot collected them). At least VHS looks better, doesn't rot and can hold a full movie. LD is literally an LP for movies.
>>
>>14632893
>At least VHS looks better, doesn't rot

Am I being memed here?
>>
>>14632889
>I want to get into LaserDisc. What's model machine should I buy & what are some good laserdiscs to own?

Why ?
It's an obsolete format, low resolution, audio quality that can't rival high resolution audio.
Do you even realise how shit the video will look on an lcd tv ? Laserdisc players aren't made anymore in this day and age. Even if you manage to get one used, when it invariably breaks down than what ? I swear, it's like someone clinging desperately to VHS. Laserdisc days are over. It's not worth investing a dime into it, hardware and discs.
>>
File: wanna.jpg (177KB, 832x832px) Image search: [Google]
wanna.jpg
177KB, 832x832px
>>14632896

I blame regular show.

>>14632897

Tons of /m/ shows & OVAS on it that I want to get into that never got re-released past laserdisc. Just seems like a fun thing to get into.

>Audio quality that can't rival high resolution audio

Many laserdiscs had Dolby Digital Surround sound didn't they?
>>
>>14632893
You dumb fucking nigger. Compare the size of the discs. That laser disc can store more animation, superior sound, and an i-field.
Once the laserdisc is mass produced, we'll smash Sony for certain.
>>
As someone who's collected around 300 discs over the years, I can tell you right now that there is no reason to start collecting in this day and age. There are a handful of releases that aren't available in better formats, but overall, it's too expensive and you'll wish you just bought the Blu-Rays instead.

>>14632893
>>14632897
It is absolutely a better format than VHS. The picture and audio are even better than early DVDs. However, once DVD technology got better, it pretty much replaced completely replaced LD.
>>
File: VHS tape gal.jpg (157KB, 1165x810px) Image search: [Google]
VHS tape gal.jpg
157KB, 1165x810px
>>14632910
>There are a handful of releases that aren't available in better formats

Could you list off any specific ones? I wouldn't mind collecting just those titles if there's enough of them. I've been building a VHS collection & backing them up if I can find them cheap enough.
>>
File: $_35.jpg (16KB, 300x207px) Image search: [Google]
$_35.jpg
16KB, 300x207px
Laser Disc is really only worth it for the box art and the novelty of having something on Laser Disc. There are a few rare exceptions where the only decent version is the Laser Disc but that's rare as fuck.

DVD is an objectively superior format, better compression, better video quality, better audio and most everything on Laser Disc has a DVD release as well and the DVD is generally going to be cheaper and easier to get your hands on.
>>
>>14632889
Why?!

BakaBT has all the laserdisk released anime you need.
>>
>>14632893
Bullshit.

Laserdisk was the fucking BEST before DVDs. Undisputed fact.
>>
>>14632889
>I want to get into LaserDisc

Why not get into beta max while we're at it?
>>
>>14632934
>better compression
LD is uncompressed. That's why early DVD releases looked worse. They didn't get the hang of compression until around the turn of the millennium.
>better audio
That's actually debatable. LD audio is outstanding.
>>
>>14632942

Because there isn't any anime on betamax now is there?
>>
>>14632938
>Laserdisk was the fucking BEST before DVDs. Undisputed fact.

No. You realise that Laserdisk was an analog format right ? Analog video just like VHS. Same resolution as VHS or slightly better NTSC and or PAL. The only advantage of Laserdisk was the audio, you could get full resolution DTS on some disks while obviously the audio on VHS tapes was vastly inferior.
Laserdisks had laser rot, while VHS tapes had well the tapes that could get mangled/eaten by the VHS player.
Both formats were analog with all the downsides that went with it. Early dvds had shit compression and puny audio. Those defects were mostly overcome over the years. And nowadays with Blu-rays there is no contest at all.
High resolution video + high resolutio audio is light years ahead of any Laserdisk ever made.
>>
>>14632951
I saw a beta tape for MD Geist.
>>
File: gall.jpg (275KB, 1600x1483px) Image search: [Google]
gall.jpg
275KB, 1600x1483px
>>14632956
>Laserdisks had laser rot

You now that's only a few dozen discs from one specific factory right? Japanese laserdiscs were always vacuum sealed between layers so moisture didn't get between them. Very rarely did they suffer from rot.

>>14632957

Now that surprises me.
>>
Don't hate on laserdisc the packaging booklets and other extras are nearly as desirable as whatever is on the discs. You guys remember paper and physical media?

Which isn't to say the media itself isn't charming, because it is.
>>
>>14632981
>Don't hate on laserdisc the packaging booklets and other extras are nearly as desirable as whatever is on the discs. You guys remember paper and physical media?

Yes the packaging and big booklets were nice. But is it worth it 50$ per disc ? I don't think so. If you already have a collection keep it. But if you're trying to get into Laserdisk collection then no. Keep the money and buy the various Japanese blu-ray collector's editions.
>>
>>14632938
honestly I've seen a few CLV discs that looked worse than good VHS tapes
the early CBS/FOX CLVs I've seen (They Live, Rocky Horror) are amazingly shit quality
shitty mastering does wonders to waste a format

but yeah, "best ntsc" is like "most powerful 286 machine"

I've got a bunch because back when I got it your choice for importing moonmedia was LD or go home.
They're neat, and there are a few things here and there like the Python Holy Grail LD with the Japanese dub, but yeah you're mostly getting it to show off big LD covers at this point

last time I checked most LDs are pretty cheap on ebay, so it's a fairly harmless thing
>>
>>14633001
>the early CBS/FOX CLVs I've seen (They Live, Rocky Horror) are amazingly shit quality
>shitty mastering does wonders to waste a format

This is true. My copy of Wargames looks like ass. My copy of Goodfellas looks as good as any DVD I've ever owned

>last time I checked most LDs are pretty cheap on ebay

Only if you buy them in lots. Individual discs can be stupidly expensive depending on the title.
>>
>>14632991
>Japanese blu-ray collector's editions.
The ones that cost $200+?
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (36KB, 460x514px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
36KB, 460x514px
a few seconds glancing at "Gundam LD" on ebay shows a few going $5~$10 per disc, shipping can be a bit of a bitch though. Looks about the same $5~$10 per disc lol.
>>
File: 20131124_094607.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20131124_094607.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>14632897

>lct tv

Pleb.
>>
>>14632960
I am around 400% sure you can get Gall Force Eng subbed off BakaBT with no need to hassle with LDs.

If you really want the packaging, buy the packaging and then burn the digital files to a DVD. Put the DVD in the packaging, tada it's like owning an LD without the literal retardation involved with regularly using 20 year old obsolete technology.

But if you REALLY want to be 'that guy', go and do it. Maybe you'll be the anon that starts a hip new trend and brings LaserDisc back to modern/mainstream support. The way that North American turbohipsters have brought fucking vinyl records back into the mainstream. Pic related

That's right, you can now walk into fucking Walmart/Target/Macy's and buy a player.
>>
I just realized that CLV/CAV hasn't come up yet for OP.

Here's the deal. There's two formats of Laserdisc. Vaguely like EP vs SP vhs tapes. Most players I've seen do both "CLV" (the shit looking one) and "CAV" (the better looking one).

Many of the Japanese LDs I have are CLV. If you're looking for a player it needs to have CLV capabilities.

I've only run into CAV-only players in Education Surplus sales and stuff, but be alert about it.
>>
File: anime.jpg (32KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
anime.jpg
32KB, 500x500px
>>14633572

>PVM
>not a BVM

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh?
>>
File: hair.jpg (233KB, 1100x1033px) Image search: [Google]
hair.jpg
233KB, 1100x1033px
>>14633601

While CDs ae better than vinyl, people own records due to something called the "loudness war"

Basically albums kept being recorded at higher volumes to be heard better on radios & that pisses off music enthusiasts that feel many albums were treated better on vinyl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-O5l6NSsdY
>>
I honestly just want them for the art and the collectibility.
>>
>>14632934
>box art
This I some of the reasons why I'd like to get some. That also my main reason for buying things on vinyl. More presence and such.
>>
>>14633601
I think it's nice that record players are so readily available. Plus, there are a decent amount of things that are vinyl only.
>>
Didn't some of them come with OSTs? Where is the best place to buy them? Just go to japan?
>>
File: pioneerlaserdisc.jpg (78KB, 550x360px) Image search: [Google]
pioneerlaserdisc.jpg
78KB, 550x360px
Pioneer or Sony brand. Maybe, maybe Panasonic.

Don't fuck around and get a shitty cheap machine, these things are complicated as fuck and fragile. I bought one for $110 and then had to pay almost $200 to refurbish it after it broke. Delicate stuff. I had another one break that I ordered from Ebay...in transit, so make sure its shipped well.

Also don't get one from the 1980s those usually suck, and you have to flip the discs manually...
>>
>>14634176

appreciate someone actually answering my question.
>>
File: pioneer_dvl-919_us_model.jpg (75KB, 1325x596px) Image search: [Google]
pioneer_dvl-919_us_model.jpg
75KB, 1325x596px
>>14634176
for what it's worth I've got a Pioneer DVL-919 that I bought new
I never had any problem with it, but it's been a couple of years since I've had the chance to fire it up.

pic not mine but it's what I have
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ5msrmf5Tw
sage for 2x
>>
File: laserturtle.jpg (280KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
laserturtle.jpg
280KB, 720x480px
>>14632897
Collecting anything old an obsolete is pointless. But some people enjoy collecting things, and using them. People collect war memorabilia and antique furniture too. Some people like putting a giant disc into a giant machine and hearing the neat little noises. Fuck, if you take the top off the player, you can see a literal laser working inside and c'mon how cool is that?

Not everything has to be the newest and best. Some movies look nice on a Laserdisc, and some are obviously better on Blu Ray. Its all subjective. But LD is just a neat old format. And if you care about the difference with an LCD tv, fortunatley for us, there's a million CRT screens floating around, because those are, in effect, also obsolete.

Same can be said of VHS, the difference being VHS can be bought at any thrift store for a dollar or less, and are more a novelty these days. When they break, who cares, they're everywhere.

Its not about "clinging" to these formats as if they'll make a comeback, or thinking they're better than Blu Ray quality, its about liking neat stuff. Its totally subjective.
>>
File: bgcldwatchin.jpg (42KB, 486x648px) Image search: [Google]
bgcldwatchin.jpg
42KB, 486x648px
>>14634201
I find there's something to the is-ness of seeing Bubblegum Crisis the way the initial wave of fans saw it, more or less

Kinda like seeing shows taped off their initial TV run with the ads of the time in as opposed to a modern HD transfer.
and that turtle is great
>>
>>14634227
Didn't Bubblegun crisis LD come with a CD? Also how is your cat?
>>
>>14634227
Oh god no.

I sometimes wonder how shit it would be if I had to watch dubbed anime on Toonami.

I like my Japanese bluray rips with decent fansubs.
>>
>>14634238
possibly
I got mine 2ndhand
also some of those were pack-in with first batches or mail-in coupons.
I got a first batch 1985 Graffiti Of Otaku Generation (second part of Otaku no Video) that had a mail-in coupon for a long version of the ending song, Jyuubei-chan vol1 that came with the box.

Not sure about bgs though.
>>
File: goblin valk 2k14 and a half.jpg (195KB, 1268x780px) Image search: [Google]
goblin valk 2k14 and a half.jpg
195KB, 1268x780px
>>14634238
also my cat is fine, thanks for asking
I should get a new pic of her and that toy
>>
>>14634247
I meant more like off japanese tv, like I have some old Sailor Moon fansubs where they blow the big reveal of Super Sailor Moon in the commercial break
It's set up like
>oh no everybody's about to die
>The Sacred Thing is doing stuff
>what will happen
>eyecatch
>HEY KIDS It's The Sacred Thing Playset part of the Super Sailor Moon Playset BUY IT and it's just like in the show when she uses The Sacred Thing to become Super Sailor Moon!
>>
>>14632889
There's a pretty informative video by TechMoan on this very subject. Lots of good info.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOrn2hBsYKE
>>
Didn't moot get all of his shit at a garage sale? Anyone have the pic?
>>
>>14634371
the one with all the LoGH stuff?
>>
>>14634201
like folks going Gonzo over baseball cards... little pieces of cardboard but some folks value them. I would prefer a working device to collect for fun.
>>
>>14632889
Don't get laserdisc
>>
>>14634525
>Finding all of LoGH at a Garage sale

I'd fucking cum buckets.
>>
>>14633601
>>14633766
Vinyls are better than CDs in terms of tone fidelity. It's a simple case of analog sound vs digital approximations. However, vinyls get pops and scratches which can suck.

But it's not just a case of using old technology for no reason. In fact, you're just the exact opposite of what you're raging about. You scream about others being hipsters for using old stuff, when you are in fact a dumbass for being against old things. Just because a medium is newer does not mean it is better. Vinyls came back for a reason and everyone from fans to professionals can hear it but meanwhile you're just sperging about it.
>>
If you know Jap, might be worth it for Logh
>>
You don't buy LDs to watch them, morons.

I bet you idiots actually opened your DVDs/BDs, too.
>>
>>14634201
Precisely fucking this.
My dad and I both shoot pistols. He has told me numerous times he simply cannot understand the logic behind me buying shitty surplus pistols for $200 when I have a fully built 1911 for competiton and almost never shoot those things. I didn't buy them to shoot. I bought them because I am a nerd and I think they are cool. I would love to have a display case full of LDs and a nicely preserved player. I'd also like to have a wall covered in DVD/BD sets but holy shit that would be expensive.
>>
>>14636742
I'm not "raging". Music is not my hobby, so I found it ridiculous and hard to believe that a record player can beat a stereo system in terms of audio quality. Add to that the convenience and low maintenance of digital format.

Maybe it was a bad example, but I have more.

If you live in hipsterville, you will know that the current retro fad is " fixie" bikes. One-speed bikes that are literally inferior and less ridable for anyone with half a brain.

Same thing goes for LD, which is the real problem here. Maybe you know much about music. But you are NOT going to fucking tell me that LD is superior to digital or blu ray formats. It's purely obsolete technology; if you're trying to get into it in the 2016 you're either a dirty hipster or a collector.
>>
>>14632906
If it was made to store so much, why put a hole in the middle?

meanwhile VHS has no holes, it is a block of tv data
>>
File: Digital-and-Analog-Wave.jpg (125KB, 1000x700px) Image search: [Google]
Digital-and-Analog-Wave.jpg
125KB, 1000x700px
>>14641235
>, so I found it ridiculous and hard to believe that a record player can beat a stereo system in terms of audio quality
Look up how analogue and digital sound works

In basic terms, analogue is a wave while digital is ones and zeros. This makes digital an approximation of the proper wave, it can get closer and closer but will never be perfect thus isn't as accurate as analogue
>>
>>14641344
Did you ever see a cassette tape underage? Or are you joking?

Two holes.
>>
>>14634294
I still have memories of finding old Japanese television rips of episodes of G Gundam. Up to and including the final episode having a short spot promoting Gundam Wing starting the week after.

Also, one had an old SRW4 commerical spot on it.
>>
>>14641368
They aren't deep holes on VHS and the turning allows it to power the data like a windmill. "Disks" don't even have a turny part, they are simplified for millennials
>>
>>14641235
I have a fixed gear bike. They're fast, light and reliable. Why would I need multiple gears to ride on the road?

I honestly think you just get mad about certain people doing certain things for no good reason. You need help and you need to stop raging.
>>
>>14641344
You see the hole in the middle is so that the humongous laser disc can properly orbit.
>>
>>14642548
that's why you need to clear space around your LD player
>>
How much is a good laserdisc player?
>>
File: vol09.jpg (82KB, 440x447px) Image search: [Google]
vol09.jpg
82KB, 440x447px
Speaking of LDs, does anybody have better scans of the sleeves for Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040?
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.