[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Combining mecha are a recipe for a shitty show

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 16

Combining mecha are fucking shit. All these shows typically have the same problem.

Actually, I just want to bash on how shit Combattler was. What a piece of shit of a show. There is no defending of the second half of this series.

What's the point of the mecha even being made of several pieces and having multiple pilots? The main pilot seems to have all the input on what the mecha does. Sure, sometimes someone else gets a line in but it's pretty fucking rare. Sometimes the other characters get only like 2 lines of dialogue in.

Also, the second half kept repeating the same shit plot lines over and over again. Crab dude is given one last chance to destroy Combattler and he fails and the episode ends. No mention of it in the next episode.

The fight scenes are also typically shit. Compare it to Mazinger Z where Mazinger would often lose limbs in fights or would later need to be upgraded to deal with stronger foes. Combattler gets like no upgrades and all the enemy mecha are helpless against the same stock animation attack.

Only watched it for the hot evil empress.
>>
>>14631110
What the fuck are you talking about? Getter Robot is fucking great.
>>
But it's FUN, you queer homo.
>>
Where is the sahib when we need him?
>>
You would not last a fucking second watching a Brave show, you pleb. Get out.
>>
>>14631237
No, it's not. The setups are usually the same shit with no variety. The few episodes where the characters aren't in the mecha for 90% of the episode happen to be the good ones because the characters actually get a rare chance to interact.

>>14631586
Are you saying The Brave series is even worse?
>>
>>14631110
I liked the pilots being assholes to each other, but I guess Mazinger also had that (and the girl was part of that too there, unlike in Combattler).

Still the 2nd half had some good episodes, I thought, the first one with the lab in flames and their final attack blocked, the one with the city surrounded by a barrier where a little girl has to run around town to ring bells to break it, the one with the other guy from the orphanage piloting another machine... But, yeah, after the introduction of that goofy frog robot, there's no plot advancement at all in the 2nd half until the final 3 episodes. Everything is completely episodic.
>>
>>14631829
Could have spent all those episodes telling us more about the Kyanbell Empire but nope.
>>
>>14631110

Dat Chizuru tho
>>
File: answer.jpg (50KB, 633x479px)
answer.jpg
50KB, 633x479px
>>14631110
>What's the point of the mecha even being made of several pieces

Why do people still struggle with this? It isn't hard.
>>
>>14631230
>Getter Robo
>great
Hi there Pedro.
>>
Tryon 3
>>
File: Maximum overfag.png (711KB, 960x652px)
Maximum overfag.png
711KB, 960x652px
>>14631940
Fags will be fags
>>
File: 1408242362245.jpg (38KB, 704x480px)
1408242362245.jpg
38KB, 704x480px
>>14631940
>You will never be able to watch J-Decker unspoiled and witness this legendary scene for the first time by yourself
>>
>>14631940
How does that excuse everyone except the main character being mostly silent? That's just lazy.
>>
>>14631110
Then watch a show without combining mecha.

You know, like power rangers.
>>
>>14632624
Why does it matter so much?
You're also the guy who made the thread about Combattler's human drama with the hintingly autistic condition that it should happen simultaneously with piloting.
>>
>>14632984
Wouldn't that distract them, give the enemy an edge and ultimately doom all of humanity?
>>
>>14631940
>Because it looks cool.

But it doesn't. Sure, occasionally you'll get one that looks awesome, but Combiners typically look like ass.
>>
File: oldmanyells.jpg (12KB, 320x240px)
oldmanyells.jpg
12KB, 320x240px
guess combiners aren't really your thing then. good thing there's a metric fuckton of different anime genres to explore
>>
>>14632984
>Why does it matter so much?
>Why does character interaction matter so much

Gee, I don't know, so we don't go most of the episode with only one character talking?

Also, you've radically misinterpreted my last thread. Good job.

God forbid combining mecha use actual teamwork with all the pilots having different parts they control. Just have everyone but the main character sit and do nothing.
>>
>>14631110
The bait is weak
>>
>>14635127
>Defending the shitshow of a second half
>>
>>14635151
Yeah, because opening with the statement "combining mecha are shit" isn't bait on a board full of getter fags.
>>
File: 8a244747.jpg (82KB, 622x612px)
8a244747.jpg
82KB, 622x612px
>>14635184
I'm not wrong. They typically have no reason to be combining robots and don't lend themselves well to character interaction. Getter only works because it has different modes it transforms into. Thins like Combattler and Zambot don't.
>>
>>14635195
I've been on /m/ for 10 years mate, people like you come and go, If you don't like something, who gives a fuck, this is just classic pay attention to me my opinion is different bait post.
>>
File: 91EfJbnRhbL._SL1500_.jpg (331KB, 1500x1057px) Image search: [Google]
91EfJbnRhbL._SL1500_.jpg
331KB, 1500x1057px
>>14635303
I'm sorry my opinion isn't yours, shithead.
>>
File: Imgur-758a87.png (30KB, 500x399px)
Imgur-758a87.png
30KB, 500x399px
>>14635195
> those feels when next to no show will animate a girl with a bust that big
> those feels when the few that do go way overboard into Eiken territory
>>
>>14631110
>Combining mecha are fucking shit.
Fuck you. Zoids Fuzors was the best Zoids.
>>
>>14631110
>>14635195

S-s-source...?
>>
>>14635303
Sounds like someone needs to grow up and move out of mom's basement.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY2V7hX-WJw

All the good parts without the awful shit. They should remake the first 26 episodes.
>>
>>14635312
but its not an opinion, its just you shitposting and baiting.
>>
>>14635346
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=40282555
>>
>>14635408
I've fully explained my opinions and reasoning, not my fault you're ass is hurt.
>>
>>14635414
Yes, I made a typo before anyone points that out
>>
File: 54273651_p0.jpg (898KB, 850x1086px)
54273651_p0.jpg
898KB, 850x1086px
>>14635413
Oh my.
>>
File: 1453873739013.png (444KB, 457x457px)
1453873739013.png
444KB, 457x457px
>>14631110

i love how op says a bunch of true statements, but since hes the OP and this is /m/ everyone feels the need to disagree or defend their favorite shit animu
>>
>>14636096
Since this is /m/, I'm just going to assume he hasn't seen it, and the people who are bashing it or defending it haven't seen it either.

Also at least one person played an SRW with the show in it, so think they know enough to talk about it.

AKA like 90% of all /m/ threads.
>>
>>14636107
I watched Combattler V and I mostly agree with >>14631829, the hate for the second half is really overblown and it makes me think that anyone who comes out with this much vitriol is a shitposter parroting opinions about a show he hasn't watched. Especially given how the first half had a lot of forgettable episodes itself. I even remember a few of them specifically for how stupid they were (one episode where Juzo throws a gun and uses another gun to shoot the trigger of the first gun while the first gun is still in midair to hit his target, another where Hyoma's ex-girlfriend decides to sacrifice herself for him even though the situation doesn't warrant it and the feelings between them were mostly gone and so forth)

On its own merits, it's not as good of a show as Mazinger Z, but it had some quirky and charming characters, some decent early Sunrise animation and some cool villains. That's really about all you can ask from a 70s show; they all kinda run together a bit except for Daitarn and Zambot. Though I have been watching Daltanious lately and I will say that Nagahama definitely did a better job there.
>>
File: combattler1.png (782KB, 866x642px)
combattler1.png
782KB, 866x642px
>>14636141
God, you're such a fucking autist, anon. If "vitriol" is posting your opinion and explaining your reasoning then any kind of discussion that isn't ass kissing is doomed.

The first half suffer from a lot of similar problems regarding characters but it at least has an interesting set of villains and a satisfying conclusion. The second half does not and has possibly the most hilarious deus ex machina ever.

Here's an example of some of the stuff I ended up frustrated at towards the second half of the series: The mechanic villain will have no problem sacrificing his brother in one episode and then several episodes later is deeply disturbed with his Empress does just that. This is after at least 3 episodes of the same story of him given one last chance to beat Combattler.

Here's a screencap from one of the good episodes. Where the team actually get proper screen time.
>>
>>14635112
That's nice, but your thread looked like not thinking about what you read on Wikipedia. It doesn't matter to that how good or bad the hero cast were, they weren't the game-changers. Garuda was. His (and Sharkin's) legacy gave us Garma and Char eventually. Nagahama took notice of it himself and every title has a little more villain tragedy and families on different sides of war and crap. If you don't like it you can say Combattler added soap to mecha, because that's what it's on about.
>>
>>14631110
>Only watched it for the hot evil empress.
Isn't she voiced by Nozawa?
>>
>>14636141
>one episode where Juzo throws a gun and uses another gun to shoot the trigger of the first gun while the first gun is still in midair to hit his target
That sounds fucking awesome
>>
Hey clawshrimpy is back!
>>
>>14631110
>Compare it to Mazinger Z where Mazinger would often lose limbs in fights or would later need to be upgraded to deal with stronger foes.
>I've never see Mazinger Z
Only time mazinger lost anything was in Mazinkaiser and in the end of original 70s, most of the time Mazinger was getting upgrades and never really got damaged except for the pilder
>>
>>14636432
Mazinger got damaged all the time in the original 70s tv series, which is probably what he's referencing.
>>
>>14636429
Clawshrimpy doesn't talk about robots.
>>
File: 91DnkLK1h2L._SL1500_.jpg (381KB, 1500x1058px) Image search: [Google]
91DnkLK1h2L._SL1500_.jpg
381KB, 1500x1058px
>>14636410
>Garuda
Good thing he isn't in the second half of the show that I was fucking bashing on then. Like, did you even read my opening post? I don't even get how what I said sounds :"like what you read on wikipedia."
>>
File: sayaka.png (1MB, 841x633px)
sayaka.png
1MB, 841x633px
>>14636432
>>14636447
This. They would get sliced off or melted all the time. They were constantly needing repairs. Hell, their base even gets destroyed like three different time.
>>
>>14636598
My post was about the human drama shit you asked about previously. If we have it cleared up that whether or not they talk in the robot means fuckall to the drama rep you can hate the hodgepodge post-Garuda extension all you want, I personally didn't watch it.
>>
File: combattler3.png (845KB, 861x641px)
combattler3.png
845KB, 861x641px
>>14636661
I can almost feel the asshurt radiating off of your posts. And regarding my last post, it still didn't add "human drama" to mecha.

>I personally didn't watch it.
Oh wow. Now this is baiting.
>>
>>14636447
Some fucking super robot.
>>
>>14636254
>If "vitriol" is posting your opinion and explaining your reasoning
It's not. It's using inflammatory statements like "God, you're such a fucking autist, anon" in every reply like you are

>interesting set of villains and a satisfying conclusion
Discount Baron Asura finding out he was a robot all along doesn't really make him any more interesting

>has possibly the most hilarious deus ex machina ever
You know, a lot of people bring this up, but I can't really fault the show for it when the situation that necessitated it also had almost no buildup. The conclusion would have been forced either way. Though I will say that it had more buildup than Daitarn.

>The mechanic villain will have no problem sacrificing his brother in one episode and then several episodes later is deeply disturbed with his Empress does just that
Obviously. He's scared the same will happen to him.
>>
File: 057.jpg (222KB, 838x1200px)
057.jpg
222KB, 838x1200px
>>14636789
>Ur so mad xd
And I certainly have no doubts that the genre was different before and after the first sympathetic pretty boy villains.
Ironically Garuda really wasn't human.

>Now this is baiting.
The second half you really, really fucking dislike? I was not motivated to watch it either.
>>
>>14636867
You clearly are since you took my previous top and completely changed what I wrote about. Really owned me by taking two different points and combining them together to create something different.

>>14636846

>It's not. It's using inflammatory statements like "God, you're such a fucking autist, anon" in every reply like you are

That one response really invalidated everything I said!

>Discount Baron Asura finding out he was a robot all along doesn't really make him any more interesting

Actually it does. We sympathize with him while finding him pathetic

>Obviously. He's scared the same will happen to him.

Or more likely, it's inconsistent and bad writing.

>You know, a lot of people bring this up, but I can't really fault the show for it when the situation that necessitated it also had almost no buildup.

It's almost like the second half bad. Like I've been saying.

>>14636802
That's because Mazinger isn't really "super"
>>
>>14636096
It's because they can't argue back because they never actually watched the second half of the show or simply can't handle any kind of criticism. I now kind of understand the memes about Getter now at least.
>>
>>14637028
> That's because Mazinger isn't really "super"

But they call it a super robot in the opening.

This is false advertisement, I want my money back.
>>
>>14637028
>Actually it does. We sympathize with him while finding him pathetic
So like I said, he's discount Baron Asura. Him being a robot clone is ultimately meaningless in the context of the show.

>Or more likely, it's inconsistent and bad writing.
>It's bad because I say it's bad and I have no other argument

And I bring up the deus ex machina thing because I actually think it's good writing given the conflict set up. If you have to conclude your dumb show in a forced manner either way, you might as well conclude it in a way consistent with the tone.

Anyway, the second half is really the same as the first half in overall quality. It's just that the episode plots got more childish and cartoony. And that's not really a bad thing, just not to some people's tastes. It made a fair amount of sense to me. The whole fucking point of the show was to make its main robot look really awesome so the kids would want to buy the toy. May as well cater to the kids.
>>
File: 1459822402571.jpg (425KB, 2097x915px) Image search: [Google]
1459822402571.jpg
425KB, 2097x915px
>>14637037
>It's bad because I say it's bad and I have no other argument

More like it's bad because it goes against his previous actions in several other episodes.

>a way consistent with the tone
How is a greek dude coming down in a chariot from the skies "consistent with the tone"?

>Anyway, the second half is really the same as the first half in overall quality
You might be one of the few who actually liked the main cast getting shafted for many episodes to follow around annoying kid characters.
>>
>>14637282
>More like it's bad because it goes against his previous actions in several other episodes.
Such as? The guy was always pretty self-serving. It was pretty clear he was scared of Janera and not in mourning.

>How is a greek dude coming down in a chariot from the skies "consistent with the tone"?
Happy ending. The alternative is that they all die in a worldwide magma bath, which would have been an even stupider way to end the show.

>You might be one of the few who actually liked the main cast getting shafted for many episodes to follow around annoying kid characters.
I didn't really give a shit. The main cast wasn't interesting or cool enough for me to care. The show still had a Combattler V fight every episode and that's what I was there for.

>>14636424
It definitely was; it's just that I don't think that it's any more intelligent than stuff like a dinosaur Magma Beast thinking that the resident Boss Borot knockoff is its child or whatever and the stuff like that in the second half
>>
>>14631110
>stock animation attack
But that's wrong you fucking retard.

OP didn't watch Combattler but all you gullible shits believe it. This board is trash.
>>
>>14637387
Such as not writing themselves into a corner by introducing a fucking bomb or not having Combattler run out of energy?

They could have used that time to make them more interesting or cool. It was a silly introduction that made the characterization e en more uneven.

>>14637402
Their final attack is stock animation, fucktard.
>>
>>14640301
Yeah, sure, whatever. These shows weren't meant to end until the public was tired of them. The resolution of an episodic story barely matters since there's so little overarching stuff to be resolved. It's not like the ending would have been any more satisfying if it was different. By its nature, an episodic show really can't build up to a conclusion, so when it finally does end, you just get the sense of "well, it's over now".

And they were never going to develop the characters. 70s shows weren't about being complex or deep, they were about selling toys. Anything else was a waste of time, so you're lucky that we got any variation in them. And once again, it's also partly the result of the episodic format. Given how there's little continuity with which to develop these characters, it's incredibly difficult to have any meaningful character development because it all has to occur in the space of one episode and doing that runs the risk of making the characters seem inconsistent. So with shows like these, you end up with the characters having stock personalities that don't change much, although you do get occasional backstory episodes. Even the second half of Combattler had those.

>Their final attack is stock animation
The windup to it is, but the part where they actually hit the monster isn't. The choudenji spin drills through the MotW in a different way every time, and that's actually pretty impressive as far as finishing moves go. There's a lot of work put into showing how the enemy reacts to Combattler hitting it, Combattler coming out of the pose and the now visible inner mechanical details of the MotW. Usually all you get is
>Robot draws sword
>Robot dashes/jumps at MotW
>Hit flash
>Robot is now behind or above the MotW
>MotW explodes or the top half of its animation models slides away from the bottom half. It then explodes.
>>
>>14640372
It would have been satisfying if it were good like episode 26. But it isn't.

Also, a show doesn't have to be deep to have great characters. Zambot, Mazinger, Gundam, grendizer have a wonderful cast. This just comes across as you trying to justify the second half having no redeeming values whatsoever.

All of the shows I listed make good use of an episodic formula.
>>
>>14640398
Mazinger has characters that are far more inconsistent than the ones in Combattler ever were even if it is the better show in other regards. And Zambot was never really episodic even if it did have MotW for a time, though I will argue that Kappei legitimately started out as an insufferable little shit who only ended up as a worthwhile character because of his development. I haven't bothered with the other two.

> This just comes across as you trying to justify the second half having no redeeming values whatsoever.
No, this is me trying to tell you why the shit you're bringing up isn't really a big deal to me and probably shouldn't be to you either. Saying you don't like something like Combattler because of its plot or characters is silly because it was never really about either. The entire show was an excuse to show Combattler V in action and have it look cool in fights so kids would buy the toy. And if you're going to judge it for anything, judge it for how well it did that. Anyway, you're only bringing up a few specific moments in the second half that you didn't like, but I don't see how those ruined the entire show for you. That's the advantage of an episodic show. The slate is clean every episode, so the show will never wallow in shitty plot developments like a SEED Destiny or an A/Z or whatever.
>>
>>14631110
>Only watched it for the hot evil empress.
Fuck you man, I watched it for Hyoma and Juuzo.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.