[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Complex moves?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 37

File: Capture.png (4MB, 1878x1205px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
4MB, 1878x1205px
Excuse my stupidity, but i've always wondered something about Gundam. Is it ever explained how complex moves like pic related are performed by the pilots? Predictive software? use of manual controls but just awesome pilots? or just "plot" skill
>>
Like a fighting game there's a button combo to do said maneuvers after programming a macro for them.
>>
>>14627963
It's always glossed over but the general idea is there is a great deal of AI/automation when it comes to MS control, and better pilots know how to refine that movement manually in ways that are never explained
>>
>>14627963
It must be real easy being a Zeon remnant, when you watch the scene he literally phases through the beam spear. Doesn't duck under it, doesn't go around it, he just goes straight through it.
>>
>>14627963
↓↘← + meele
>>
>>14628006
Thanks,

This is sort of what i figured. Because by just looking at the type of controls pilots have, there is no way they could pull off some of the moves that they do.
>>
>>14628024
>he literally phases through the beam spear.

ughh thats a pole arm and the zeon suit is close
>>
File: 24013.jpg (65KB, 651x367px) Image search: [Google]
24013.jpg
65KB, 651x367px
>>14628068
Uh-huh, think about what you just said dude.
>>
>>14627963
It just werks bro
>>
File: stark jegan 2.webm (1MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
stark jegan 2.webm
1MB, 960x540px
>>
File: stark jegan 1.webm (1MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
stark jegan 1.webm
1MB, 960x540px
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (147KB, 498x750px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
147KB, 498x750px
This is a big problem in all mecha.

The only controls that make any sense are full body controls. But those are a minority. Most controls are like a tank or fighter jet.

They just do it. Really.

The in-universe excuse is that they have macros pre-programed that they can call up. But actually doing that would be a total nightmare to actually use in real time.

Gunbuster does it right. Noriko wears a suit and controls the movements. What she does, the robot does. Her co-pilot controls everything else. Despite being a very super robot shot, it is the most realistic human mecha control style ever.

The big robot american movie that name I can't remember did the same as Gun buster.
>>
>>14627963
All of MS movement was programmed, either preprogramed by manufacturer or customized by its pilot.

If i can take example from G-Reco, there is scenes where pilot always thinker their way throught the console before take it for a ride, that is the example of how the pilot installing their own custom movement pattern.
>>
>>14627963
>>14628024

>*teleports behind u*
>>
File: rdnerotrainer1[1].jpg (66KB, 494x537px) Image search: [Google]
rdnerotrainer1[1].jpg
66KB, 494x537px
Sentinel mentions that skilled MS instructors are hired by AE to develop MS macros that are then used by combat pilots.
>>
>>14627963
Realistically there's no way that a conventional twin-stick setup would control every possible point of articulation through pilot input.

It's sort of implied that in Gundam and many other mecha franchises that have such a control setup that an advanced on-board computer does a lot of the heavy lifting when it comes to articulation and locomotion. With this train of thought, all the pilot really does is point the mech in the direction they want to go and the computer does the rest. The performance of the mech would only be as good as the computer that controls it rather than the skill of the pilot.

However in a lot of these shows we see that the pilot really does have a lot of control over the articulation when they do things like hop on one foot, tear off their own arm with the other, or scratching their chin among other movements that have no tactical advantage in for a combat mech that are virtually impossible to control because of the limitations of the twin-stick setup. We also see that pilot skill can vary quite a lot and skill gaps can be quite large within the given cast of characters.

At the end of the day, it's just fiction. None of it has to actually make sense. As the audience we are just expected to swallow the blue pill that tells us that pilot skill matters and that the pilot are able to control a lot of the movements with just the basic twin-stick.
>>
>>14628024
>He doesn't i-frames
Check out this feddie cam
>>
>mash X for eloquent sabre dueling
>>
>>14628182
Never been a Nero fan but that's a sexy, sexy pic.
>>
>>14628193
It's because they can be programmed to do those movements.
>>14628005
>>
File: LR-Pacific-Rim.jpg (106KB, 1501x791px) Image search: [Google]
LR-Pacific-Rim.jpg
106KB, 1501x791px
>>14628138
>The big robot american movie that name I can't remember did the same as Gun buster.

Pacific Rim?
>>
>>14628241
I think he's talking about Robot Jox senpai.
>>
Isnt the nu-gundam and the sazabi partially controlled by thought?
>>
>>14628179
The pilot of the Efreet Schneid is named Reaver the Reaper.

I'm not even kidding.
>>
>>14628006
Doesn't this become an important thing in VOTOMS? I remember Chirico spends a few nights programming new moves for the Marshydog in order to keep up with Epsilon
>>
The macros probably take advantage of the MS's advanced scanner suite and only execute if they know that they're going to connect with the target. So at that point, it becomes which pilot can react faster with their macros I guess?
>>
>>14627963
Only G Gundam has ever had an adequate explanation, anyone saying otherwise is full of shit.
>>
>>14628271
ypsilon is too fast so chirico relies on the disk to help him keep up

it kinda falls apart when it's revealed that the disk was burnt out and chirico really was fast enough to match ypsilon, though.
>>
Mind link's are my personal favourite control method.

Full body is better visually though and twin stick with "macros" really creaks the suspension of disbelief a bit.
>>
It's something like the transition from a ground tank to a fighter jet. Both vehicles require the same combat roles----command, navigation, aiming/gunnery, communication, etc. On a tank these roles are spread across a crew, while on a fighter jet most of these roles are automated or handled off-site such that 1-man can pilot it. Even aiming at a target isn't really aiming, you're actually telling the computer
>hey, follow my crosshairs, this is an enemy
>you recognize it as an enemy? >Good, program a path and fire the missile.

Some shows take it further by having the mech directly interact with the pilot's brain, bypassing the macros and programming. Eg newtype tech, yf-21, EVA, IBO's freaky spine thing
>>
>>14628024
>>14628074
>still upset about a shitty barely customized GM II losing to a sidestory character cameo
>still raggin on about this one specific moment of shitty animation in a franchise full of them

Holy shit zeekfags are bad but you need to let go
>>
File: 2158486577858.png (286KB, 564x602px) Image search: [Google]
2158486577858.png
286KB, 564x602px
>>14628235
There are things that video games completely ignore (and many still have problems with) especially fighting games. Collision detection, inertia, and physics in general is over-simplified within their respective virtual worlds for sake of having the game play more smoothly because of how basic the commands have to be for the user interface and for the game to progress. For that to work in real life, every single possibility has to be taken into account and commands have to be tailored as such. For algorithm to like that to be built, it would be nigh-sentient and even then you still have to overcome the problem of having to pilot control commands so the robot does exactly what the pilot wants it to do. It'd be like having someone make a PBJ sandwich with just a few dozen possible inputs. Even though the person may know how to make the sandwich, they do not know that you want them to make a PBJ.
>>
It's like MUGEN if you had the ability to switch between AI and manual moves, with the ability to put new moves into the database.

Personally I'd want as many melee moves in my mech's arsenal as possible, in case I got stuck in a close-combat situation.
>>
>>14628543
this
video games don't have to deal with dirt shifting weird or a bird flying into your movement path
>>
>>14628208
>gundam: a telltale game
>>
>>14628138
The only problem with these is the lack of tactile feedback.
Like, what happens if you end up moving your army but the robot's gets stuck on something?

Though i guess a system that warns you about it and tells you to reappropriate your hand again wouldn't be that far fetched.
Voice commands on guns and such for all the Bustaaaaa-beeeeeeeeeeam action.
>>
>>14628193

Most "ace" pilots are usually known for their response time in how quickly they tell the mech to do stuff. And them pushing the buttons too fast for the automations to keep up is typically a problem. Which is also why the "their reaction time is too fast for the machine, they need a better one" is a thing at all.

The main reason for a pilot at all is for human judgement to be at the trigger more or less, like how they don't just automate drones in real life and let a computer do the work.
>>
>>14627963
IIRC there is this one Gundam Manga where all the GM were equipped with Amuro's combat data which turn them into a mini Amuros with his dodging beam at a last minute.

Even char at first thought it was Amuro behind the MS
>>
>>14628138
>a nightmare
WHAT
THE
FUCK
IS
INVERSE
KINEMATICS

MS limb movements are dynamically generated, full stop. You don't move the arm to aim, you move the pipper and the arm aims the gun where the pepper is pointing. It is literally all run by 9th grade geometry based off the 3D map built by the suits eleventy dozen sensors.
>>
>>14628266
*Reber the Ripper. Get the dick out your mouth.
>>
>>14628138

Macross does a pretty good job of it with the EX-Gear system, because most of the tie you just use modified jet controls (understandable, because most of the time it is in jet mode anyway) but you can shift over to the EX-Gear manual controls in order to have it mimic your arm movements for fine control situations.

Most battles, you won't ever have to switch to gear controls, but its an option for the cases where something unusual comes up. You can even slave your mech to your gear controls from outside the cockpit, which is neat!
>>
>>14627963
MS are literally a video game, except IRL and without continues.
>>
>>14627963
I like the way it was done in Dual or Eva and a few others in which the controls don't actually do much, they're just there so that you have a frame of reference. The mech operates based on your will (or brainwaves).

It's really the only viable method of doing anything in a mech outside of basic point and shoot maneuvers.
>>
File: 564575634.jpg (237KB, 1492x1080px) Image search: [Google]
564575634.jpg
237KB, 1492x1080px
I always figured it something like this;
>Pedals control thrusters
>Left stick controls Z-Axis movement
>Right stick controls central gross torso aiming
>Right stick HAT switch controls fine motor aiming (Toggle between ranged weapon and free hand)
>Right stick triggers (On-board subweapons, handheld ranged weapons)
>Main console weapon selector switches (Auto macro to pickup/store weapon in mounting points)

Melee combat would be hard as fuck, I can only assume you could toggle the stick controls to melee mode which configures the stick triggers to different attack patterns

Ranged combat could rely heavily on computer assistance like modern combat aircraft, and you could switch between manual aiming.

I imagine the bulk of switches and triggers would operate as switchable inputs, like the Shift, Alt, and Ctrl keys on your keyboard.
>>
>>14629358
>>14628543
The video game analogy refers more to the pilot's experience. All they need to do is understand how the machine should work and input the commands. The computer takes in all the variables you've mentioned and develops a set of movements to achieve the intended goal.

This basic concept has already been in use in environments with less variables, e.g. autopilot in the air and open sea, Fire-control systems of anti-air guns (planes fly too fast for humans to aim effectively) but it's true that we still have a long way to go before stuff you see in mecha shows can happen.

The most fundamental but complex "movement" they have to first perfect is ----standing still on two legs. An object with only two points-of-contact to the ground is fucking unstable. If you play with gunpla, you'd know. Our brain is actually doing a lot of subconscious activity just to keep us balanced on two feet. From the looks of freaky US army robots, it seems we're slowly but surely getting there. https://youtu.be/rVlhMGQgDkY
>>
>>14634329
Computer probably does most of that, just like it keeps planes stable in the air even though they shouldn't be.
>>
>>14634366
There's one whole episode in the live-action Patlabor series where the Auto-balancers go kaput and the pilots have to manually keep their labors balanced. Hilarious as fuck.
>>
File: gunbuster-1-balancing.jpg (109KB, 665x502px) Image search: [Google]
gunbuster-1-balancing.jpg
109KB, 665x502px
>>14634393
Same thing in Gunbuster.
>>
>>14634393
So that just proves my point.
>>
>>14627963
Magic
>>
>>14628138

Patlabor had those glovey things
>>
>>14627963
you pick a technique via button macro, suit's combat computer does its best to execute that maneuver against the target, it's some next level shit by the time that scene happens with refurbished units versus stock garrison models
>>
File: Black cockpit-620x.jpg (35KB, 620x407px) Image search: [Google]
Black cockpit-620x.jpg
35KB, 620x407px
Based on the cockpit, maybe the Getters from the Armageddon OVAs are "fully manual"? One lever for each servo?
>>
I thought they explained pretty early on that ms have computers that simplify actions. As for more complex actions, that's why we call some pilots aces/newtype hax. Zeon remnants are incredibly experienced and some of them are ace pilots from other series, like the efreet schneid in question (fred reber from side stories).
>>
>>14628303
but taking time to show chirico programming and preparing the software on his ride to get a tactical edge is a rarity in mecha.
>>
>>14634462
do remember Ryoma jury-rigged the Black Getter himself, on the moon, with chunks of other wrecked Getters
>>
File: Rgm-89d-ova.jpg (368KB, 630x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Rgm-89d-ova.jpg
368KB, 630x1080px
>>14627963
I wonder.

Suppose you got two Jegans. One is equipped with standard controls. The other is equipped with a mobile trace system. Both pilots are of equal skill and the stock Jegan has no special moves programmed and neither have any special gear. How would they fare in a fight to the death?
>>
>>14634587
Stock Jegan wrecks it completely at range if the one in the MT suit isn't a rifle expert.
>>
>>14634311
I've already been planning a cockpit for a while and the controls are a special beast to try and wrangle. The solution I've come up with is something like Steel Battalion and Battletech on crack. Two sticks, with twist rotation on each. Each stick is also mounted via linear bearings to the seat for an additional axis. Pedals can be rocked forward and back, and if another axis is needed the pedal assembly could be rotatable as a whole as well but that seems like it might be unreliable and finicky in combat. Aiming is down via the right stick, which moves a pipper on the screen. Twisting the stick rotates the mech on its axis with the pipper as a reference point, turning primarily with the waist. Left stick controls the mech's movement primarily, twisting the stick rotates the mech about its axis using the lower body. Add to this a plethora of switches and a HMTCS, and you're golden to pull off everything you see in gundam. Melee is handled via pipper like shooting is, and involves a hat switch for rotating the axis of the melee strike. The hat switch can be rotated without 'firing' the move to parry if using a melee weapon. Finer control is possible by adding in the various buttons and switches to the sticks for on-demand movements.
>>
>>14634393
>that Final Shooting pose

That's pretty good
>>
>>14634587
Stock Jegan will lose in a dance battle.
>>
>>14634329
The problem with that analogy is that modern automated systems serve very specialized roles on very simple platforms. Compared to what we see in the mecha genre, the real life automated systems have relatively simple algorithms because there's only a certain amount of variables that go into it. The auto-pilot on a plane can only manage to follow set headings by the pilot and deal with a bit of turbulence. It can't navigate around obstacles because it's not programmed into the auto-pilot and will smack into another aircraft with nothing more than a warning beep (if it's even capable of recognizing other aircraft). Automated systems in modern passenger vehicles can recognize obstacles, but again, there's a problem with navigating around these obstacles. They may recognize pedestrians and stopped vehicles, but they're not smart enough navigate around a traffic accident or negotiating certain turns on public roads. Even modern Anti-lock Braking Systems in passenger vehicles still struggle in the snow and loose surfaces compared to an experienced driver. Again, the reason why any of these systems work for the most part is because they have very specialized roles and only consider variables from the real world which would practically apply to these roles.

My point is that you can't really draw the comparison with modern automated systems and then make the leap of assumption that it's would be practical for use in a humanoid robot like the ones we see in science fiction. Furthermore, the platforms of which use these automated systems are of a distinct non-humanoid shape optimized for their roles.
>>
File: robot_jox_waldo_check.gif (994KB, 500x268px) Image search: [Google]
robot_jox_waldo_check.gif
994KB, 500x268px
>>14628138
>>
>>14636311

...although, who programs THIS sort of shit into the control interface?
>>
>>14636314

I mean, following the in-movie example of Achilles and the fists above, is Alexander squatting in his cockpit with an erection?
>>
File: 33533.gif (2MB, 276x171px) Image search: [Google]
33533.gif
2MB, 276x171px
>>14627963
>>
>>14636397
That looks like shit.
>>
>>14636397
#zeonwank
>>
File: kai5.jpg (27KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
kai5.jpg
27KB, 240x240px
>>14636397
>gif ends just before it gets blown by mudrock
>>
>>14629757
Hello, fellow engineer.

>>14627963
Unicorn actually have some great footage of MS controls in action - you use twin stick to control 3d movement of suit, aim with either some sort of HOTAS controls or targeting is slaved to eye movements. There seems to be some semi direct control over both arms and especially legs but everything is computer assisted. It's basically advanced fly-by-wire system and just like, say, F-16, is a very pretty brick without it's computers, so are MS.
Only alternatives are either newtypes, direct brain interfaces and yes, full body tracing - but that one sucks when your suit gets hit and G forces work all wrong for your perceived reality.

>>14628331
YF-21 actually had a very advanced AI on board that was doing the actual flying and on the fly adaptation of airframe. EVAs are, well, duh and IBO actually did whole direct neural interface right, even including feedback to the pilot.

>>14629348
It's that, self optimizing AI, always growing library of available moves - after combat download are a thing in Gundam, and pilots ability to utilize all of those and being able to override automatic system when needed.
>>14629562
Utilize pressure suit in reverse? Vibrations? Electrical current? Audible signals?
There is some cool rehabilitation powered suit in which you actually can dial up or down how much resistance joints give to user's movement. Combine this with, say, some heating pads or vibration engines and you have functional force feedback system.
>>
>>14634311
I wonder if there's an image gallery of every visible MS cockpit, that'd be helpful for figuring out what the possible control schemes for each are. Maybe some with close-ups of the sticks, like in the Wing OP.
>>
>>14635061
What about a potential system where the joysticks are mounted to their hubs via a connector cable, and if they're yanked out of the hubs, then the arms match the sticks' movements within the cockpit, like a rift/vive controller? Plant them back in their hubs and they return to auto-mode with typical controls.
>>
>>14636322
yeah. also the erection sprung out of his suit unassisted by his hands.

russian might.
>>
>>14636263
Fun little story, there was a situation where a Boeing 727 lost all power to its ailerons. The autopilot would have freaked out. The pilots landed the plane through skilful control of the throttle.
>>
FMP did it best.
>>
>>14629737
it would be somewhere in CDA, with Char and two wingmen in Black Tristar HiMo Zakus
>>
File: xabungle-01.jpg (38KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
xabungle-01.jpg
38KB, 300x225px
ahem
>>
File: GSELF.webm (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
GSELF.webm
1MB, 1280x720px
>>14627963
I don't know.
>>
>>14637135
Hybrid stick/controller system with additional body tracing capabilities for not-macroed moves?
>>
>>14634329
When that nigger got up I pooped my pants Alittle
>>
>>14635039
What part of "both pilots are of equal skill" do you not understand?
>>
>>14634311
>Melee combat would be hard as fuck, I can only assume you could toggle the stick controls to melee mode which configures the stick triggers to different attack patterns

That's pretty much how a dream of mine went where I ended up piloting Epyon.
>>
>>14639282
If pilots both have equally shitty marksmanship, Stock Jegan will win because all the pilot needs to do is to acquire and lock onto the target, the computer does the rest, that's what he's saying.
>>
>>14639669
mobile trace likely does the same thing

how accurate can holding what looks like a massless length of energy representing a gun be? mobile trace system would still have targeting reticle and whatnot, it'd just be stupid like holding a light gun or a wireless VR controller
>>
>>14629737
Char's Deleted Affair.

Which is retarded because ALL Federation Mobile suits work off the Gundam's Learning Computer data from Amuro save for the RX/RGM-79[G] series and the RGM-79A.
>>
>>14636450
It would probably suck a bit, I mean conceptually it sounds like a good idea as you would gain a great range of movement. But in live combat where you'll set shook around your cockpit and thrown around with G-forces things might get a bit wavy.
>>
File: Gelgoog_Jager_Promo.png (771KB, 840x473px) Image search: [Google]
Gelgoog_Jager_Promo.png
771KB, 840x473px
http://www.mechatalk.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=13806
MS PILOT MANUAL
Paraphrased from "Entertainment Bible 1: MS Encylopedia, One Year War Edition"

1. Console Explanation

An introduction establishes that, yes, this is the cockpit of the Gelgoog Jaeger. The images on the four main monitors are derived from the 12 cameras distributed around the mobile suit's body, to present the external world as if you were sitting in its head. (You're warned not to forget to protect the torso, where you're actually sitting.)

The communications monitor on the top console is used to communicate with the deck crew and operators aboard your carrier ship. Thanks to Minovsky interference, you can only get visuals over short distances; after that, it's voice only. Although there's a dedicated rear-view display, you'll get an automatic verbal warning if an enemy gets behind you, and you can then use the controls on the left console to put the rear-view image up on the main monitor.

Most of the mobile suit's critical functions are handled by the control sticks and foot pedals. The sticks control the flight direction, and also house the trigger and weapon selector, while the foot pedals provide throttle and braking functions. Even in combat, most of the mobile suit's functions are computer-controlled; as a result, even a grade-schooler could operate it.
>>
File: cockpit-.jpg (46KB, 287x337px) Image search: [Google]
cockpit-.jpg
46KB, 287x337px
>>14642069
Panel and Console Diagram

A diagram calls out the major controls in the mobile suit cockpit. The diagram is based on the latter-model Zeon cockpit used in Gundam 0080 (and the manual as a whole uses the Gelgoog Jaeger as its example mobile suit). The cockpit consists of a seat and four monitor panels - front, top, left, and right. The front and top monitors sport small control consoles, and the other instruments are built into the seat or its side consoles.

The top monitor console includes two smaller screens - a rear-view monitor and a communications monitor (on the left and right sides respectively). In between are a set of sensor mode selectors.

The front monitor console bears, left to right, generator starter switches; a threat warning panel; and monitor toggle switches.

The left and right armrests of the seat sport almost identical controls. Each side has a sliding control stick - I think the right is for weapons, and the left for steering, but there may be some functional overlap - plus a row of ten buttons for manually activating the apogee motors. The left armrest also sports a throttle lever, which seems to function something like a gear shift for the thrusters. Additional side consoles are attached to the armrests; these contain controls for communications and external monitor modes (on the left), drive/fuel system mode selectors, and warning monitors (on the right). A mysterious "index sub-console" dangles off the right console.

Finally, there are the two foot pedals - brake on the left, throttle on the right. The throttle pedal functions like a car's accelerator. (Note that the upper limit of your thruster output is governed by the throttle lever on the left armrest.)
>>
File: panoramic cockpit.jpg (430KB, 1024x963px) Image search: [Google]
panoramic cockpit.jpg
430KB, 1024x963px
>>14642069
2. Launch Sequence

When you enter the cockpit, first buckle up your seatbelt! Then turn on the generator (via the front console), check the warning monitors (on the right console), and use the monitor toggles (front console again) to switch to systems check mode. If anything's wrong, holler for the deck crew.

Now you're ready to get on the catapult. Set the drive system mode to "walk" (via the right console) and proceed to the catapult as per your operator's directions, picking up your weapons on the way. Use the throttle pedal to walk forward, the control sticks to turn, and the brake pedal to stop. (I think you're meant to keep the brake pedal down until you're ready to launch.)

Once you're on the catapult, it's time to warm up your thrusters. First set the drive/fuel system mode to "catapult shoot" (right console again), then release the lock on the throttle lever (left armrest) and slide it into "idling" position. Check the warning monitors again, and set the throttle lever to "taxi-ing" position. (This lets you use your thrusters to pick up a little extra speed during launch.)

When your operator gives you the signal, you're clear to launch. Just release the brake pedal, and you'll be shot into space. Using your thrusters as little as possible (to conserve propellant), join your teammates in formation. You can use the index sub-console (attached to the right console) to load pre-programmed mission routes, including your return course at the end of the mission.

(Note: From the following chapters I gather that, after launch, the throttle lever position should be set to "idling" - zero thrust - and the drive/fuel system should be set to "cruising" mode, but it's not clearly specified. I guess that's covered in the omitted Chapter 2.5, "Flying in a Straight Line.")
>>
File: cockpit.jpg (143KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
cockpit.jpg
143KB, 1280x800px
>>14642069
3. Combat Sequence

The warning panel (on the front console) will alert you to approaching enemies - in this example, because your mono-eye's infra-red sensors have picked up their thruster flares. Set the sensor mode to "scan" (via the top console), and the mono-eye will automatically seek out enemy targets. As you enter battle, set the drive/fuel system mode to "combat," and crank up the throttle lever for bursts of propellant-burning speed.

Set the combat mode selector on the right control stick to "shooting," and release the trigger lock. A targeting reticule will then appear on your main monitor, while enemy units will be tagged with target symbols. Use the control stick to move the reticule onto the desired target, get a lock-on, and pull the trigger. In close-quarters combat, set the combat mode selector to "melee." Go a few seconds at full throttle - can't waste propellant! - to close the distance, then pull the trigger to swipe with your beam sword.

In the course of this chapter's combat example, there's some discussion of dealing with battle damage. You can use the index sub-console to switch hands, the manual activation buttons will turn red to indicate lost apogee motors, et cetera. Also, as you use up your propellant, you should adjust the throttle lever to reduce your thrust.

Once combat is over, you can return to your mission route. Set the drive/fuel system mode back to "cruising" while you check for damage and glance at your propellant levels. All clear? Set the sensor mode back to "warning" (via the top console), put the throttle lever back into "idling" position, and continue on your course.
>>
File: cockpit panoramic.jpg (295KB, 1627x2236px) Image search: [Google]
cockpit panoramic.jpg
295KB, 1627x2236px
>>14642069
4. Escape Sequence

This chapter details the workings of the emergency ejection mechanism, which is activated by opening a box under the seat and pulling on the "escape ring" inside. The mobile suit's chest armor blows off, and then the seat is launched about a quarter of a second later. The seat's rocket motors fire for up to 30 seconds, with a peak acceleration of 16 gees; within five seconds you'll be a kilometer away from the mobile suit, safely clear of the blast radius. (I note that these figures indicate an average acceleration of 8 gees.)

Once you've ejected, you can maneuver the drifting seat with its built-in apogee motors. The life-support systems provide five days' worth of air, and three days' worth of food and water (presumably delivered in-helmet), while a beacon signals to friendly rescuers. Or unfriendly ones - thanks, Antarctic Treaty!

The chapter closes by discussing how the ejection mechanism can be employed in other environments - inside space colonies, on Earth, on the moon, et cetera.
>>
File: 20110217.jpg (283KB, 814x463px) Image search: [Google]
20110217.jpg
283KB, 814x463px
>>14642069
5. Return Sequence

Assuming your mission went well, you now get to return to your carrier ship. Your operator will guide you through the final stage of the approach. Once you reach the ship's hull, turn on your foot magnets, set the throttle lever to "idling," and set your drive/fuel system mode to "walk." Then, once you're safely back in the hangar, switch the drive/fuel system to "maintenance" mode. This will shut down the thrusters, lock all the drive systems, and finally power down the generator. Good job!

-- Mark
>>
File: 1471553215152.png (674KB, 782x936px) Image search: [Google]
1471553215152.png
674KB, 782x936px
>>14642069
>>14642075
>>14642082
>>14642086
>>14642107

This is actually really detailed and fascinating.

God bless Mark Simmons
>>
>>14628005
>hurf they just made a macro to rip off your own arm and hit the enemy with iy just in case, you know???
The shit you UC autists will say to pretend your shit is "realistic" is hilarious.
>>
>>14643181
If you watch anything Gundam related that isn't UC, Turn A and maybe IBO, you have a sad fucking life, literally worthless, if I were you I would kill myself.
>>
>>14643209
I don't follow
>>
>>14643214
Anything that isn't UC, Turn A or IBO is shit.
>>
>>14643181
I never said it was realistic. The most I've ever said is that it uses some realistic stuff in the setting (Lagrange point, o'neil cylinders, etc). It's a series essentially about space psychics fighting space psychics in giant robots.

It's just a very solid and relatively grounded setting for the plot.
>>
>>14643237
X is alright. G-Gundam is good but not really Gundam.
>>
>>14643237
Replace IBO with G-Reco and you'd almost be believable.
>>
File: Mobile Suit piloting 101.png (371KB, 1815x1570px) Image search: [Google]
Mobile Suit piloting 101.png
371KB, 1815x1570px
>>14642069
>>14642075
>>14642082
>>14642086
>>14642094
>>14642107
Screencapped for future reference when this subject comes up.
>>
>>14642086
>In close-quarters combat, set the combat mode selector to "melee." Go a few seconds at full throttle - can't waste propellant! - to close the distance, then pull the trigger to swipe with your beam sword.

This is probably the dumbest explanation for melee combat. There are literally dozens of possible ways to attack with a sword let alone defending with one. The melee combat capability is completely up to how good the MS is itself and not the pilot.
>>
File: The_Blazing_Shadow_Cap_5.2_scan.jpg (282KB, 1007x1536px) Image search: [Google]
The_Blazing_Shadow_Cap_5.2_scan.jpg
282KB, 1007x1536px
>>14644551
RFTA actually lets you manually angle the slice as well as the guard stance to counter melee attacks from specific angles, for what it's worth, so it's not ALL automatic, just mostly.
>>
>>14628265
>partially controlled by thought?

I think that's the Unicorn
>>
>>14644569
RFTA also had shit controls.
>>
>>14644930
pretty much any psychommu ms i think
>>
>>14644997
There are no shitty controls, just worthlessly bad pilots
>>
>>14644930
>>14645171
Somewhat like that. Psycommu needed newtypes to work but the full psycoframe frame of Unicorn allows even non-newtypes to use it.
>>
>>14645763
>controlling movement and aiming with the same thumb.

That's pants-on-head retarded.
>>
File: dreamcast-40409-11326616891.jpg (70KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
dreamcast-40409-11326616891.jpg
70KB, 640x480px
>>14645955
You're trying to play it like an FPS and not like a Giant Robot Simulator.

Git gud, loser. You have a lock on function; use it. Strafing/dodging/flanking literally could not be easier in that game
>>
File: 1469576432616.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1469576432616.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>14646996
>Strafing/dodging/flanking literally could not be easier in that game
This.
>mfw dancing around Zaku Cannons and their 120mm machine guns/180mm cannons as they struggled to land a single hit on my nimble Jim ass.
>>
>>14646996
>git gud
>at an already shitty game

Why?
>>
>>14645774
>Psycommu needed newtypes to work but the full psycoframe frame of Unicorn allows even non-newtypes to use it.
That's not true. The only people to pilot the Unicorns have been newtypes.
>>
>>14646996
>lock on function
kek...Could you imagine that IRL? I don't know how many times lock-on has screwed me in games like Zelda and the Souls games.
>>
>>14647841
>I don't know how many times lock-on has screwed me in games like Zelda and the Souls games.
How on earth does a literal fucking aimbot trip you up?
>>
>>14647682
>>at an already shitty game
Literally the only good Gundam game
>>
>>14648057

By fighting multiple enemies, dummy. Aimbots don't take on the most immediate threat, only the closest one. Seriously, go play one of the Souls games and see what I'm talking about for yourself.
>>
>>14648077
>Literally the only good Gundam game

It's a shame, really.
>>
File: images.jpg (17KB, 331x152px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
17KB, 331x152px
>>14648077
>>
>>14648086
Then you release the lock on and switch targets.

The problem is not the lock-on mechanic, the problem is you.
>>
To do Last Shooting, Amuro programmed a macro on-the-fly to make the Gundam walk a few steps, point the rifle upwards and shoot.

There's a prior episode where it shows him programming combat maneuvers using the computer at the White Base (so he probably transfers it to the Gundam by disk or whatever). It's probably only in the TV version. IIRC, it's after the first battle against Ramba Ral.
>>
>>14648397
Those weren't combat maneuvers for himself. He was analyzing the Zaku they retrieved and trying to figure out how to best predict the Gouf's capabilities.
>>
macros
>>
>>14628005
So Megas XLR then?
>>
File: carnage heart exa.png (358KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
carnage heart exa.png
358KB, 1280x1280px
>>
>>14648338
And sometimes it doesn't switch to the target you want. If you weren't such an apologist, you'd realize that it doesn't work well when fighting a cluster fuck of enemies. It's like you've never played anything more than a handful of games in your life.
>>
>>14627963
Well it's quite simple, you see they SHUT UP YOU FUCKING NERD!!

THAT'S HOW THAT SHIT WORKS!!

To be honest, only three series has anything that can explain how you can do complex movements like that. The full body suit from G Gundam, the spinal tap system from IBO and psychoreactive particles from GBF(not try, that shit just went full retarded in the worst way).
>>
>>14649871

>you'd realize that it doesn't work well when fighting a cluster fuck of enemies.

Not that guy but it works fine by me in Armored Core series , that is known for their auto lock on and shittons of mooks in one place.

>It's like you've never played anything more than handfull of games

It sounds more like you are the one who doesn't do enought games in your life m8.

If you want a real clusterfuck mess of robocontroll, try mechwarrior 3, mr. 360noscope.
>>
>>14653694
>If you want a real clusterfuck mess of robocontroll, try mechwarrior 3, mr. 360noscope.

Never got myself into a situation where it was a clusterfuck of enemies. My strategy relied on loading up with lasers and sniping from a distance. The biggest danger was to myself if I overheated and blew myself up.
>>
File: 56987412654753.jpg (42KB, 640x512px) Image search: [Google]
56987412654753.jpg
42KB, 640x512px
>>14653694
>playing with controls from AC2
God damn, is that ever frustrating. It's like they completely ignored the fact that the PS2 came with Dualshock controllers as standard. Just killing one guy was frustrating, let alone multiple enemies. Turned me away from getting any new AC games.
Thread posts: 130
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.