[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Battletech

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 17

File: Maddog.png (99KB, 467x600px) Image search: [Google]
Maddog.png
99KB, 467x600px
Is this the right place to talk about the battletech universe?
>>
File: atlas.png (868KB, 823x1001px) Image search: [Google]
atlas.png
868KB, 823x1001px
>>14605987
I know nothing about Battletech except that the Atlas is fucking sick.
>>
>>14605995
That is the only thing you need to know. We'll that, and that clans are for dirty cheating little fucks whose parents buy them whatever they want. fuck you jeremy you piece of shit
>>
>>14606000
Nice numbers, and yeah even the creator of battletech regrets implementing the clans just by how overpowering their weaponry is
>>
>>14606015
This is why every new Battletech thing reboots to 3025, back to the Succession Wars when everything was cool. I believe that the upcoming PC game is set there, too.

Did they get toned down in Alpha Strike, or are they still OP as fuck?
>>
File: Dat mad cat.jpg (52KB, 556x426px) Image search: [Google]
Dat mad cat.jpg
52KB, 556x426px
>>14606000
Fuck you, the Timber Wolf gives me wood.

Clan Wolf a best and Jade Falcon sibkos are full of edgy inbred retards.
>>
>>14606162
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJkixB91Uug

Look for yourself.
>>
>>14606162
>>14606015
>>14606174
a bit of a shame that madcat is the most recognizable mech in the franchise and one of the most recognizable western mech in general.
>>
>>14606174
>inbred
Scientifically impossible.
>>
File: timberwolf_r_awesome.jpg (77KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
timberwolf_r_awesome.jpg
77KB, 600x600px
>>14606174
unf
>>
I really like BT fuff. I read the TROs and Tech Manual with religious devotion and keep blueprints on my walls.

I am of course looking forward to the new game, might even indulge myself in some of that multiplayer they promised.
>>
>>14606000
>We'll that, and that clans are for dirty cheating little fucks whose parents buy them whatever they want.

Clans are just Gundams.
Overpowering toys for kids.

Just like most people don't give a hoot about GMs, neither do BTech fans give a damn about the more heavily anime inspired beginnings of BTech,
>>
File: 8SwamplandVictor.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
8SwamplandVictor.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
ここの住人では韓国軍にすら勝てないでしょう
>>
File: Whitworth1.jpg (54KB, 550x669px) Image search: [Google]
Whitworth1.jpg
54KB, 550x669px
I always end up being put off by all the bad art, but then end up liking weird or ugly designs based entirely on one or two good pieces of art, like the Eyeleuka or the Whitworth.
>>
File: 1200-full.jpg (2MB, 3840x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1200-full.jpg
2MB, 3840x1200px
BT is awesome. The roots are obvious enough, but they added enough new lore to make it a truly unique setting. You have Japanese giant robots, but the politics are approached in a western way.

And they don't have "the chosen one" in the "ultimate mecha" who can decide the battle on his own. Every pilot is just a cog in the machine and losses are to be expected.

btw what makes the pre-clan-invasion era so beautiful is the absence of an outside force. The BT timeline paints a very bleak future where humans will always be their own greatest enemy. They span out over hundreds of lightyears, but they still fight each other.
>>
File: Tired of BS.gif (242KB, 400x310px) Image search: [Google]
Tired of BS.gif
242KB, 400x310px
>>14607690
>And they don't have "the chosen one" in the "ultimate mecha" who can decide the battle on his own. Every pilot is just a cog in the machine and losses are to be expected.

You're on /m/ anon.
You can't feed us bullshit because we actually watch mecha anime and see the stereotype for what it is and also happen to know enough about Battletech to know that it has much more of these Rambo pilots than any "No chosen ones or alpha-omega machinery" anime.
Heck, Code Geass alone has politics, expendable pilots and so on served right on a silver platter for people who are not into mecha at all.

Meanwhile BTech has Kai Allard Liao, the Davion ruler, Sun Tzu for their Lelouch, Grey Death Legion for Macross' SMS/χαοσ,...
>>
>>14605995
>>14606000
I wish there were model kits of the Atlas. Or the Atlas II/III (the one with the RAC/gatling gun arm).
>>
A real pity BTech has never attempted to introduce new tech into the game. You would thought watching enoguh anime would make them stop the mechs from being walking machines and more like jetfighters with legs. I think the last series where mecha walked was Argveollen. Every other series abuses thrusters like crazy.

>>14607722

Indeed, this was what kept mecha relevant was through plastic kits.
>>
>>14607690
>And they don't have "the chosen one" in the "ultimate mecha" who can decide the battle on his own.
Spotted the guy who hasn't read the novels.
>>
>>14607789
>You would thought watching enoguh anime would make them stop the mechs from being walking machines and more like jetfighters with legs.
There are rules for transforming mechs, but they're fragile and the only thing they're really good at is deploying onto a planet and getting out to space again under their own power. If you got supply dumps to blow up or bridges to bust in a hurry, they're your pick, but they don't do so hot in an actual fight.
>>
>>14607824

I am not talking about literal LAMs, more like say if an Atlas were more like DOMs where they prefer to zip around in battle with hovercraft tech or Armored core style Verniers
>>
>>14607829
Well you can already use JJS and they are faster than plain walking through water or heavy woods already.
>>
>>14607722
>>14607789

Bandai High Grade Battletech kits never ever

It's a Smoke Jaguar get completely wrecked later season episode
>>
File: destroid-cheyenneii.jpg (161KB, 900x665px) Image search: [Google]
destroid-cheyenneii.jpg
161KB, 900x665px
>>14607880
He's talking about actual technological progress, BTanon.

It's been like 100 years in-universe and these people are still fighting with the same flawed designs they have since the whole Star League shtick.

Meanwhile, look at Macross and how people there quickly adapt and further their technology like a real space-faring race.

Not only do they always push the VFs forward, they also upgraded their destroids with wheels, since the original models were far too clumsy and stood no chance against any competent force.
>>
>>14607899
>He's talking about actual technological progress, BTanon.

Clan stuff is a lot better across the bank and they made a bunch of additionally disgustingly good weapons on top of that during the Reaving. They even miniaturized and improved on all concepts used in mechs in Protomechs. And a new class of transforming mechs was added to the rooster as well - some of those do have wheels.
>>
File: libyan technical tanks.jpg (100KB, 719x538px) Image search: [Google]
libyan technical tanks.jpg
100KB, 719x538px
I've never played B-Tech the table game and only seen bits of the video game, but are the mechs in there actually super fragile chicken walkers that need to go 10 miles an hour to hit things and can only fire big guns every 5 minutes?

It seems really unrealistic. Why not jut use tanks if you're not going to go into CQC or you can't manuver worth a damn?
>>
>>14607942
>unrealistic
Btech fanatics love to wank about how their mechs are the most realistic though.
>>
>>14607933
>Clan stuff is a lot better across the bank and they made a bunch of additionally disgustingly good weapons on top of that during the Reaving. They even miniaturized and improved on all concepts used in mechs in Protomechs. And a new class of transforming mechs was added to the rooster as well - some of those do have wheels.

Why didn't the non-Clan people organize into a faction that actually means something? You have an entire planetary league. Even the VOTOMS empires showed more organization.
>>
File: morrisonmeets7.jpg (122KB, 620x951px) Image search: [Google]
morrisonmeets7.jpg
122KB, 620x951px
>>14607944
>their mechs are the most realistic though.

After reading a comics, I learned that anyone spouting the word "realism" is a fucking hack who doesn't know anything.
>>
>>14607944
>Btech fanatics love to wank about how their mechs are the most realistic though.

It's people who know nothing about the setting, anon.
Anyone with a pair of eyes must see that something is really fishy when a gun fires 200 meters and the bigger the caliber, the shorter the firing range.

Like, the whole setting is designed around the appeal of fighting around in heavily gimped giant robots made out of scrap, spit and duct-tape.
Fighting with mechs that can't even fire their guns because they'll start falling apart, mechs that fall over if they step on anything that's not dirt, mechs that can be killed by a bad sneeze if the dice aren't in their favour,...
Realism was never a part of the equation and still isn't.
>>
>>14607789
Walking mechs is kind of Battletech's thing. The relatively low use of thrusters and flight is one of the things that I actually like about Battletech. The big, slow, stomping robots grinding each other down is one of the things that set Battletech apart from its roots after the early years.

Also the original Phoenix Hawk, based on the Macross VF-1, did transform. I believe that got dropped pretty early on, though, and is definitely gone since the whole Unseen/Ressen thing.

>>14607899
If they ever advanced the technology to the point where they could match/surpass the Star League-era tech then they would lose a big part of the setting. Tons of stories revolve around caches of lost tech or factions fighting over the only working instance of some Star League facility.

>>14607942
Depends on who's writing. Some lore does imply that Battlemechs are indeed stupid and inefficient, but they're the only working Star League weapons so they're what gets used. Mostly they just gloss over it because it's cool, like all mecha universes do.
>>
>>14607899
There progress tought, like not!valkyrie mech, semiflight mech and minimech thingies you see in Jihad and Dark Ages?

Problem is, they're always slap each others ass until they start crawling into 18th century techs again.

>>14607942
Battlemech actually into CQC m8, ever see Hachetman? That robot literally holding giant hachet zaku style while rolling into the show. There's even chainsaw, mace and even frickin gladius.

And "GANS ONLY XD" shit is mechwarrior thingie, that is just tonks-with-legs-normie-simulator. Actual battlemech move like MSes.

Also, "fragile chickenlegs" are actually just 80s doing 80s stuff, most of modern stuff looks pretty buff up.
>>
File: vlcsnap-9891.jpg (71KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-9891.jpg
71KB, 1280x720px
>>14608057
>The big, slow, stomping robots grinding each other down is one of the things that set Battletech apart from its roots after the early years.

Not really. It got stuck in the past, it didn't set itself apart.
While mecha in general moved on and improved its animation techniques, its designs and so forth, Battletech "stole" the formula back in the day and set on it for a bajillion years.
That's why everyone hates modern Battletech and all they do is play/read the old stuff.
I've watched a great deal of 80s mecha and they are awesome but I sure as hell wouldn't want to see more of that done nowadays when I could be watching something new and improved from contemporary sources.
>>
>>14607946
Because they're either busy stabbing each other upfront or to busy stabbing each other back.

>Political faction
>Actually means something

Kek
You're to naive kid
>>
>>14607942
>are the mechs in there actually super fragile chicken walkers that need to go 10 miles an hour to hit things and can only fire big guns every 5 minutes?
No, not at all. They are fast, nimble, and have no problems raining projectile weapon hell on things. No idea where you're getting the idea to the contrary.
>>
File: HAVWC(standing).png (486KB, 605x824px) Image search: [Google]
HAVWC(standing).png
486KB, 605x824px
>>14608101
Oh man, you're really sticking to the routine closely. Keep it up and somebody will bite.

As I said, we got FLAG-like transforming vehicles and third gen mechabeasts just recently, you better ignore those, because inculding them into your routine would indeed be hard.
>>
>>14607946
The Word of Blake arc was basically that. Except said faction tried to kill everyone so there goes that plot thread.

There was also some kind of illuminati but they were basically assholes.
>>
>>14607946
That was the Second Star League. It meant something for a couple years, then the Cappies used it for a land grab on a breakaway state of theirs, and then it was pretty much a figurehead.
>>
>>14607824
Under the old rules LAMs were godly. Heat free jumps at three times (kek) normal jump speed meant they were hard as hell to hit if you didn't bring an LB-X and that didn't even eliminate all the penalties their movement inflicted.

I played in a no holds barred custom deathmatch with 10 players and won with a 50 ton LAM. It was armed with a handful of Med Lasers and a couple SRMs. I think I got hit 2-3 times total in match. 6/9/6(18) movement kept me almost totally safe from fire. Shit was ridiculous.
>>
>>14609151
I know. They apparently nerf'd that by forcing you to transform into a mech if you want to hit anything that isn't stationary. Apparently units shooting them while they're jumping only recieve a flat to-hit malus as well these days.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.