[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Decoy Balloon Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 148
Thread images: 18

File: Dummy Balloons.webm (1MB, 1292x700px) Image search: [Google]
Dummy Balloons.webm
1MB, 1292x700px
>>
File: Dummy Ships.webm (1MB, 1292x700px) Image search: [Google]
Dummy Ships.webm
1MB, 1292x700px
That's strange, there was supposed to be text in the OP.
This is a thread about dummy balloons and whether they would actually be effective in space combat.
>>
>>14584967
Only in settings like UC where most forms of long range sensors are totally fucked because of Minovsky bullshit
>>
I fucking hated how a third of ZZ episodes involved creating fake asteroids.
>>
>>14584980
Technically, even in UC they shouldn't work, based on the fact that Minovsky particles aren't supposed to block IR radiation. The dummy balloons would be cold, the real ship wouldn't be. You'd need to put a heat source in the balloons equal to that output by the real ship's reactor. But the "Minvoksky doesn't block IR" thing is kind of inconsistent throughout the series, so whatever.
>>
>>14585001
The reaction that produces the gas to fill the balloons could be exothermic, giving off a similar heat profile to a ship.
>>
>>14584967
Inflatable dummys are a thing irl. They're not used in combat though. They're to make your force appear to be larger than it is and /or somewhere it isn't. For Space Combat they'd be of slightly less usefulness for this job as enemy sensors would likely be able to readily distinguish between a dummy ship and a real ship due to the higher levels of heat the real ship would have to shed.
>>
>>14585016
That could be, I suppose, but it wouldn't last very long. We're talking about producing as much heat as a fusion reactor, you might be able to have a brief spike of those temperatures from a chemical reaction but they'd fade fast.
>>
>>14584937
Where's the webm of the ReZEL that tries to block Riddhe's view with balloon spam like this?
>>
File: 0080 Christmas Decoy.webm (1MB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
0080 Christmas Decoy.webm
1MB, 720x480px
>>14585001
It wouldn't be able to differentiate real and fake asteroids though, considering both would be cold.
>>
>>14584937
Why is Nu loaded with ReGZ balloons and not Nu balloons?
>>
>>14584937
I really hate the dummy balloons. Unicorn kind of made them make sense, but usually I feel like it really doesn't make sense and was only thrown in because there has to be some form of EWS to keep up with advancing technology back then.
>>
>>14585001

>Minovsky particles aren't supposed to block IR radiation

They don't block IR, but they distort it. At high density they're supposed to even distort visible light. Otherwise missles would have been effective with IR guidance, but they arn't in the setting
>>
>>14585001
>Minovsky particles aren't supposed to block IR radiation

But they do. That's how they have compact fusion reactors. In open space the fields are less dense so it just blurs infrared like it does to light meaning that at long ranges it's possible to detect some blobs of heat signatures but not really indentify anything. And dummies are often mixed with real ships.
>>
>>14585091
Because the Nu was being completed at the last minute.
>>
File: 1460916068979.webm (712KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1460916068979.webm
712KB, 640x480px
>>
>>14585214
>Area 51
>>
>>14585268
I wonder why they chose to load the data screen with WW2 german armament names and details. Lack of imagination?
>>
>>14585268
Shit, they still get the state wrong, I guess in Gundam Area 51 is in New Mexico rather than Nevada.
>>
>>14585214
That must be scary as fuck for a regular zaku pilot.
>>
>>14585091
fancy custom MS dont have fancy custom baloons, they use the same ones as everyone else. makes a lot of sense when you think about it, though it would be better if they were all jegans.
>>
>>14585312
He's apparently Lt.Kerry.
>>
>>14585312
The white devil leaves no survivors
>>
>>14584937
>launches 4 pellets
>only 3 balloons
fucking anaheim
>>
>>14585159
I'm pretty sure the compact reactors are more due to I-Fields compressing the plasma without need for pinch magnets and the Minovsky particles catalyzing the reaction. The I-Fields repelling the plasma from the walls means that only radiative heating applies, not conductive, so it's a relatively small amount of heat that escapes the system.
>>
>>14585001
For mecha combat it could work, because you're going more by sight at a distance than anything else.
>>
File: F91 decoys.webm (625KB, 1292x700px) Image search: [Google]
F91 decoys.webm
625KB, 1292x700px
Moar balloons
>>
>>14585335
They SEEM to be using the same MS balloons into F91 times
>>
>>14586670
There are still Jegans in use during F91, so the balloons looking like them is still plausible.
>>
>>14585335
Not really. The goal is to distract the enemy and make them unable to tell which is the real one. If you launch a bunch at them that look like different MS then the one you're using is going to stick out like a sore thumb.
>>
>>14586727
Jegans and their longevity are GOAT.
>>
>>14586670
>>14586984
The shape is similar enough to the newer models the camera will probably detect them as Heavyguns anyways.
>>
evangelion had the inflatable decoy probably as a homage to something. More recently MGSV used decoy balloons heavily.
>>
>>14586912

I think the point is how nu is so new and incomplete that they didn't have balloons for it yet
>>
>>14586912
In the UC, operating systems determine the display of objects on the panoramic monitor based on visual cues from a pre-existing database of known MS designs. If the object doesn't exist in this database from which the OS then renders it in full detail, the OS the resorts to using direct feeds from the cameras and trying to fill in the details on the fly.

Obviously that database probably only contains mobile suits and spacecraft, since rendering asteroids from memory is retarded. OSes also display or ignore (and effectively make invisible) parts of its own MS and weapons as needed.
>>
>>14587383
Source on this?
>>
>>14587435
Unicorn and the Zeta Trilogy. There's also one episode of Zeta where the Titans deploy a bunch of Marasai dummies and the AEUG is cautious about approaching because at the faraway distance they were at, they couldn't tell if they were real or not.
>>
>>14587441
Never watched the Zeta movies but that did not happen in Unicorn.
>>
>>14585076
Was there a hamburger decoy too?
>>
>>14587455
Rewatch the first fight in Unicorn. When Marida recalls the funnels, the cockpit display makes the giant shoulder binders reappear to show the funnels docking, then erases them from the camera again.
>>
>>14587441
Also the reason why the White Base is referred to as the "Trojan Horse". Because Zeon didn't have any data on it, so Char named it after what it looked like: a Trojan Horse.
>>
Another example is MS Igloo manga's GM Camouf. It wouldn't ever pass for a GM up close and doesn't even have captured GM weapons, but it's vaguely similar enough that it can trick MS computers into thinking it's a GM.

It was a good enough disguise that a Zeon warship shot it down in an unfortunate case of friendly fire.

>>14587502
That doesn't have anything to do with the camera systems and augmented displays, though.
>>
File: 1387174551028.jpg (29KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
1387174551028.jpg
29KB, 720x480px
>>14587483
>>
>>14587105
https://youtu.be/Jg36EETf2OM?t=1m8s

I like how they added them into the Nu for SRWZ. They really added nice touches to otherwise straightforward attacks with the Nu/Zeta.
>>
Tomino sure love balloon .
>>
>>14587560
Should've been his dodge animation for regular beams and such, like they shoot the dummies rather than the Nu.
>>
>>14587500
That has jack shit to do with dummies and this supposed pre-existing database.
>>
>>14587641
>OSes also display or ignore (and effectively make invisible) parts of its own MS and weapons as needed.
Seriously read nigga, you asked him for a source on "this", but you didn't specify what you wanted a source on so he mentioned both.
>>
>>14587641
It's the same technology (real-time image compositing) but applied to improve the all-around visibility of the person's own machine rather than affecting the visibility of enemy MS.
>>
>>
>>14587675
>>14587441
Didn't they say that in G-Reco too?
>>
>>14587383
I know that, but the dummy balloon still needs to look reasonably similar to whatever it is mimicking to trick the OS.

The Nu still stuck out like a sore thumb in that barrage of ReGZ.
>>
>>14587721
I have no idea if it's mentioned in the actual dialogue, but Mask and the other Capital Army pilots completely fail to notice that the Megafauna that they were chasing in episodes 7 and 8 was just a giant dummy balloon. It isn't until he gets right up close that he realizes it's a fake.
>>
>>14586984
Well it's not like mobile suits were in demand after CCA/UC.
>>
>>14587756
>I have no idea if it's mentioned in the actual dialogue
I think they said that during the Kashiba Mikoshi resupply, when Aida was looking at the screen and Gisela (or someone else from the crew) explained how the radar works.
>>
>>14587746
AND Char was looking straight at him when he was launching the balloons... and then Char got distracted by the balloons anyway.

Why do we take Char seriously again
>>
File: ReZEL dummy balloon tactics.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
ReZEL dummy balloon tactics.webm
2MB, 640x360px
>>14587746
Char's likely not easily tricked by three Re-GZ units suddenly appearing on his screen, but they worked for his intended purpose of distracting him for a split second.

It's worth mentioning that in Unicorn, the ReZEL team's dummy balloon trick completely fails against Riddhe. My guess is that because Riddhe was a former ReZEL pilot himself, he probably knows the tactic and has practiced it with former wingmen. We can see in the video that his Banshee's own arms are visible in the field of view and the targeting system lists all of them as "unknown", maybe he was anticipating the tactic and turned off the CG compositing to gain an advantage, but that's kind of a far stretch.
>>
>>14587779
>Why do we take Char seriously again
somehow it took amuro like half an hour to kill him
>>
>>14587779
Even if you know they're just decoys, there's still a bunch of junk blocking your view, As seen in >>14587781
>>
>>14587781
That's genius
>>
>>14587781
Even if it failed, I kinda wish this was an attack in SRW
>>
>>14587779
>>14587746
In the case with Amuro and Char it was just meant to be a momentary distraction throwing off Char for a split second as random objects suddenly exploded into being about his viewpoint, and it worked

Thats the kind of Ace tactics Amuro uses, he will sacrifice equipment as a surprise equipment to create small openings, or set up traps to hit you unexpectedly.
I mean who can forget right at the end of MSG he sacrifices the damaged Gundam itself to take out Char.
>>
>>14588018
He does that a ton in CCA really
>>
>>14585214
Was that really meant to be the RX-78 standing there?
>>
>>14585641
>>14585159
Minovsky Reactors are Muon Reactors with Minovsky Particles instead of Muons. It's a low-temperature reaction, one of the many non-viable means of "cold fusion", mostly due to the fact that muons are hard to come by. Basically it takes more power to make muons than you can get out of a muon reactor, so Tomino invented Minovsky Particles which are a byproduct of Minovsky Fusion and make muon reactors viable.

The plasma used in beam weapons isn't supposed to be super hot, either. Remember that it isn't being funneled directly from the reactor, it's stored in an e-cap in the rifle and the only thing the ms is feeding to the rifle is electrical power.

The beam saber is shown to be a source of immense heat in 0083, but 0083 also apparently shows the saber being directly fed superheated plasma via a conduit in the mobile suit's arm while every other bit of reference material says they are rechargable. Oh, except for the Alex manual, which stated that it was the first MS to have plasma conduits in the arms so that problem of Amuro's beam saber running out wouldn't happen again even though it still happened to the ZZ eighteen years later.
>>
>>14587435
His ass.
This is one guy who throws this theory out every time Minovsky and cameras come up in conversation.

And he never, ever, explains why the television cameras used for the news broadcast were able to clearly see the fleet of dummy balloon ships if Minovsky fucks with visibility so much that you need this system he made up.
>>
>>14588043
>ZZ eighteen years later.

Doesn't that happen because the Hi Mega Cannon murders the ZZ's energy source?
>>
>>14587781
there's nothing he could have done if the pilot went for a stab instead of a swing
>>
>>14587781
>maybe he was anticipating the tactic and turned off the CG
Or maybe this CG that is never once mentioned in any show doesn't even exist.
>>
>>14588296
there is literally a webm like 3 replies above that with the CG composite being shown and talked about
>>
>>14587781

ReZEL balloons are pretty cute.
>>
>>14588022
Could just be a GM with one of the Gundam's shields
>>
>>14588329
I didn't see any mention of a standard CG visualization system for MS. In fact, the girl stating to Scirocco that it's a composite strongly implies that that *isn't* standard. One person saying "this image is a composite" is not remotely evidence of the system this one anon keeps blathering about.

Moreover, there is a scene in 08th MS Team where Norris Packard's display does produce a wire-frame of the terrain overlaid on the actual camera feed from his Gouf, and this enhancement is Atari-level compared to the realistic CGI that anon claims is standard in every MS.

And AGAIN, no mention from him EVER of why the television cameras don't have this problem that he claims plagues every mobile suit's camera. The fucking evening news got a clear enough shot that someone watching on a regular-sized television, not even a big-screen, that the ships didn't look right.
WHERE IS YOUR MINOVSKY INTERFERENCE NOW?
>>
>>14585214
jesus fuck Amuro, calm the fuck down!
>>
File: the data visul.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
the data visul.webm
2MB, 640x360px
>>14588453
It's just really heavily implied.

Here we see the CG visual system unable to render the Sinanju because data on it is not in the database. We can see a blur of the image taken from the regular camera though.

Rhidde downloads the data and says "I can see it now!"
>>
>>14584967
How do they inflate in space? Where do the compressors get the air from?
>>
>>14588539
TELEVISION.
CAMERAS.

Imply that, motherfucker.
>>
>>14588550
Chemical reactions, like in airbags.
>>
>>14588553
I was under the impression that Minovsky Particles interfered with longer wavelengths like radio.

They use CG visualization to give that 360 no-view-obstruction look.
>>
>>14585312
>>14588474
Amuro a best.

None of that 'not aiming for the cockpits' shit here.
>>
>>14588577
This is partially true.
The 360 cockpits are composite images from multiple cameras (which explains the binders appearing and disappearing in the Kshatriya's cockpit display).

But there's this one guy who swears that everything an ms pilot sees is a vr construct because he thinks minovsky interferes with visible light, causing the need for this vr imaging system showing virtual images rather than camera feed, and that this vr imaging system is why dummy balloons work.

Not only does minovsky not interfere with the visible spectrum, but visible light is much clearer in space than in an atmosphere, the whole VR theory is bullshit and is handily disproved by the clarity of the television cameras which he never attempts to address.
>>
>>14588550
>How do they inflate in space? Where do the compressors get the air from?
they talk about it in ZZ i think. something about the pressure causing the small amount of gas inside to cause it to inflate when in space.
because Jewdoh is asking why the decoys are so small when they're in the hanger.
It's been a while though so I don't remember it all that well, but they definitely talk about it.
>>
>>14588690
You're pretty close. There's compressed gas cartridges in them that inflates them from fully flat to "large rock" in the hangar's atmospheric pressure, but when they get throw outside into the vacuum of space they get a lot bigger.
>>
>>14588627

>Not only does minovsky not interfere with the visible spectrum, but visible light is much clearer in space than in an atmosphere

That is patently false according to numerous sources in background materials (Gundam Century, Gundam encyclopedia) and more recent animation (MS Igloo)
>>
>>14588869
>unsourced claim
>no explanation for TELEVISION CAMERAS
Actual animation trumps sourcebooks, and that one blurry image from Igloo doesn't prove shit except the ship being outside the focal range of their telephoto lenses.
>>
>>14587571
>Tomino sure love balloon .
I bet Tomino has an inflatable Sayla love doll in his closet.

>>14588043
>The beam saber is shown to be a source of immense heat in 0083
And 08th MS Team when Shiro makes a hotspring for his Zeon bitch.
>>
>>14588920
>when Shiro makes a hotspring for his Zeon bitch.
Oops, I said 0083 by mistake. That scene in 08th is the one I was talking about. He turns down a valve in the Ground Gundam's arm and decreases the intensity of the beam saber, which conflicts with all the gunpla manuals referring to the point where the beam saber is stored as a "charging dock" as well as the animated instances where a beam saber is thrown or otherwise released and continues to function.
>>
>>14588930
maybe that whole scene was a lie and he was bullshitting her so as to not give away actual feddie tech secrets?

or more likely 8th team series was just fucking dumb
>>
To slighty credit CG anon, I recall in the gundam novel that CG computer composite displays are what MS use.
>>
>>14588930
Or it's just an early prototype model of the beam saber without a built in battery yet.
>>
>>14588910

>mirage like effect
>out of focus
>>
>>14588910
Television cameras are typically used in areas not under concentrated Plotanium Powder. The closest a tv crew ever came to being in a live fire warzone where the plotanium powder spreading mobile shits was in Zeta when Char gave his speech at Dakar, I think it was. And you could hand wave that away as distance from the plotanium powder sources as well as being inside a building, on top of the thing they were filming was at close range.

Now please suck my dick faggot.
>>
What would happen to these balloons after the war? Would they be taken home and used as party balloons? Kept in storage so that they can be used again? I would totally buy a ReZel balloon.
>>
>>14589109
Target practice
>>
>>14587781
Would that ReZel have fared better if he just shot the Banshee in the back instead of going in for a beam sabering?
>>
>>14589100
It occurs to me that a TV crew filming a fleet slow-cruising through space pretty much gets to sit there shooting long enough for plenty of light and detail to be captured, whereas a combat pilot may only have fractions of a second at any given moment to glimpse what's otherwise a blur. If something's right on top of you but standing still that's great and you could see it clearly, but any other situation where you're darting around at multiple Gs it'd be kinda helpful to have some kind of software clarifying information and sharpening images for you in real time.
>>
>>14589100
Nice try, but we're talking about cameras on a minovsky-powered ship filming a fleet of minovsky powered ships (not all of them were balloons).
Also...poltanium powder?
We're talking about Minovsky Particles supposedly interfering with visible light here, what the fuck are you trying to pull?
>>
>>14589151
Target reticules, combat data, model number, IFF codes, all that is a given. But at line-of-sight range (which is the whole fucking point of mobile suits) there's no need to sharpen images in the vacuum of space. The absence of atmospheric hazing already has a *profound* effect on clarity.
>>
File: Jegan beam shank.webm (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Jegan beam shank.webm
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>14588274
Actually, right after Riddhe fends off the first ReZEL, the Jegan that was riding the ReZEL attempts to use a small but highly focused beam blade in a stab.

I suppose it might just be weird writing, but Riddhe gets rid of the Jegan by a kind of a pushing shove/punch using his shield directly into the Jegan's head, which has a longer reach.
>>
We've already seen that MS computers are able to produce apparently realistic CG on the fly as early as the OYW.

We see Chris using the Alex to run virtual training that (animation-wise) looks exactly like the real deal. And in CCA we see Quess and Hathaway train on Jegans using the virtual simulator built into the Jegans.

I don't know if they actually use CG to enhance visibility in combat but the tech is definitely there and has been for a long time by Unicorn's era.

Computers in UC are deceptively advanced. The Learning Computer or White Base's computers could simulate the Gouf's capabilities using Zaku II data. Ramba Ral's Gouf was able to calculate the path of the Gundam's beam rifle based on where its barrel pointed and it was able to extrapolate where the Gundam had moved based on a lack of data (looks side to side and then the computer points up right before Amuro drops down).

We see another simulation in the Mk. II Gundam Evolve episode, but that's not from the main animation.
>>
File: Gato beam sabre toss decoy.webm (3MB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
Gato beam sabre toss decoy.webm
3MB, 720x540px
>>14588043
>The beam saber is shown to be a source of immense heat in 0083, but 0083 also apparently shows the saber being directly fed superheated plasma via a conduit in the mobile suit's arm while every other bit of reference material says they are rechargable.

No it doesn't. There are no handplugs shown anywhere in 0083. Gato even tosses his beam sabre to use as a decoy.

>Oh, except for the Alex manual, which stated that it was the first MS to have plasma conduits in the arms so that problem of Amuro's beam saber running out wouldn't happen again even though it still happened to the ZZ eighteen years later.
The conduits in the hand only transfer electricity. The beam sabre doesn't consume plasma like its fuel, the beam blade itself is plasma and stays the same size and shape, it doesn't constantly disappear. I dunno if that bit about the Alex's manual is true, though.
>>
>>14589186
>No, it doesn't
You are correct. I meant to type 08th.
>>
>>14589190
There's no indication that it's a plasma conduit. All signs point to MS only delivering electricity to their weaponry until the GM, which has a hip mount charger for their beam spray gun that can resupply the e-caps.
>>
>>14585214

what is this from?
>>
Not talking about hazing, but the part where articulated bodies are moving in multiples and at high speeds, and the cameras have to pick out however much light hits them at any given moment in order to display a thing from whatever relative angle it's at and configuration it's in, clearly enough for the pilot to perceive that this is and axe and this is a gun and that's a leg and that's a wing. And present all that to the pilot in a way they can digest in that fraction of a second to give them time to process a reaction and act it out on the controls.

The entire reason the Gundam was so terrifying was it was so blindingly fast most Zeon grunts could barely even see it before it had shot them dead. The computer has to take an image, process it, and present it without enough time to spare for the pilot to react, and it has to do that constantly, sometimes in difficult terrain or with multiple contacts and at distance.
>>
>>14588053
Civilian TV cameras don't run their footage through a military targetting computer. That's why Amuro noticed there were no gun barrels on the dummy ships.

>>14588453
>I didn't see any mention of a standard CG visualization system for MS. In fact, the girl stating to Scirocco that it's a composite strongly implies that that *isn't* standard. One person saying "this image is a composite" is not remotely evidence of the system this one anon keeps blathering about.
It's because they have no data on the Gaza C that they cannot do a proper analysis/recognition scan of the mobile suit, and it's why they have to resort to showing a crappy composite where the computer fills in details.

>>14588627
Yeah, I don't agree with him either. I say it's just the camera feed from the camera, but slightly augmented by the computer rather than being 100% VR recreation of the outside world. Having a VR recreation where the computer analyzes and redraws everything it detects is needlessly complex and can be very prone to failure.

>>14589190
Oh, I thought you might have been referring to that. Yeah, makes more sense.

>>14589194
The hip charger isn't even present in all GM models.. and I'm sure it's never appeared in animation.

>>14589196
Gihren's Green, I believe.
>>
>>14589199
That's a load of crap. The reason the Gundam is terrifying is because of its gundarium armor. It's hard to fight something that can straight up ignore your standard weapon.
>>
>>14589158
Anything powered by a minovsky reactor isn't constantly shitting out minovsky particles thick enough to be used for ECM/jamming/etc. Otherwise anything with a minovsky reactor would never be able to use the radio.

>>14588453
>Moreover, there is a scene in 08th MS Team where Norris Packard's display does produce a wire-frame of the terrain overlaid on the actual camera feed from his Gouf, and this enhancement is Atari-level compared to the realistic CGI that anon claims is standard in every MS.
This is completely true. Not all series incorporate the same ideas and sometimes the animation doesn't work either with some ideas. Gundam likes to pick and choose what they'll incorporate into shows. In the latest shows it's easy to do more advanced graphics on screen when applicable so they'll be more receptive about on-screen real-time augmentation, but it was unnecessary for the 08th MS Team so they didn't use it and had a line of sight based scanning system instead. Also, CCA/Zeta/F91/etc doesn't explicitly show cockpit display augmentation/analysis either, we only assume it is true because somehow dummy balloons are treated as if they may be real rather than extremely vague looking balloons.
>>
>>14589212
That's a load of bullshit, the reason its terrifying is because it could destroy your Zaku in one shot.
>>
>>14589209
>Civilian TV cameras don't run their footage through a military targetting computer.
Which proves that Minovsky Particles don't interfere with the visible spectrum. That's all I'm trying to say.

This guy:
>>14588869
is the only person I'm making a point of disproving because he keeps pushing his fan-theory about the panoramic cockpit display being cgi-only because minovsky interferes with standard cameras and newcomers believe him. Yes, the display system does use enhancements and does overlay combat data. But that is only to aid the pilot, not to compensate for Minovsky hampering normal vision.
>>
>>14589230

> proves that Minovsky Particles don't interfere with the visible spectrum

It doesn't. It just means that the Minovsky particle density is not high enough

>is the only person I'm making a point of disproving because he keeps pushing his fan-theory

Except I am not even the same guy you were talking to. Here is a source that you dont' need to buy:

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%9F%E3%83%8E%E3%83%95%E3%82%B9%E3%82%AD%E3%83%BC%E7%B2%92%E5%AD%90

In particular,

>『ガンダムセンチュリー』ではミノフスキー粒子が可視光線に影響を与えるかどうかは言及されておらず、アニメ内にもそのような描写は存在しないが、中には基本的に可視光線に影響は及ぼさないものの、赤外線には影響する[13]ため、高濃度下では赤色が見えにくくなるという報告もあるとされる[5][注 3]。また、高濃度になれば放射線をも防ぐという報告もあるとの記述がある[5][13]。

Hope you can read moon.
>>
>>14589223
>Otherwise anything with a minovsky reactor would never be able to use the radio.
So did you miss the fact that mobile suits use laser communication and touch communication because battleships shit Minovsky everywhere?

Mobile suits don't, not until Late UC, but battleships do have that problem while active. There are even instances where White Base is by itself in areas where there's been so much Minovsky activity in the past that they can't use the radio even though there's no enemy vessel actively broadcasting Minovsky particles. If radio communication wasn't a problem, you wouldn't need mobile suits fighting in line-of-sight combat, you could just radio-control missiles at your target.
>>
>>14589240
>infrared
>visible spectrum
Anon....go to bed. Your source just proved my point. There is no mention of visible light being affected, but only infrared being affected under very high concentrations.
>>
>>14589240
>>14589230
Can we just agree that in general this is fucking stupid? Dummy Balloons are a ww2 technology which makes sens for their place in gundam, a franchise mostly based on ww2 technoloy
>>
>>14589248

>ミノフスキー粒子が可視光線に影響を与える

Do you know what that means? Google translate not working for you?

>高濃度下では赤色が見えにくくなるという報告もあるとされる

That line literally said even reddish colours are harder to see under dense Minovsky interference

BTFO
>>
File: fighting a newtype.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
fighting a newtype.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>14589212
>>14589227
That's not all true. The Gundam doesn't act like a tank that shrugs off damage, except maybe early on a few times in the series. While it can wreck your shit with one accurate shot, so can anything else with a beam gun.

Amuro's generally depicted as a fast and mobile enemy that you can almost never hit, thanks to his newtype senses and the RX-78-2 being one of the more agile MS of the OYW. Late in the series, Amuro isn't shown being unfazed by machine guns, bazooka rounds, and beam blasts. He's literally dancing around all of it instead.
>>
>>14589264
>trusting Google Translate
>not realizing that "under reds" is "infrared"
Go to bed, anon, you're only making it worse for yourself.
>>
>>14589244
>So did you miss the fact that mobile suits use laser communication and touch communication because battleships shit Minovsky everywhere?
Touch communication isn't definitely a thing until late UC, perhaps maybe Zeta era has it but it's uncommon. Laser comms require line of sight and for sender/receiver to be still or not moving very fast relative to each other. Imagine trying to talk with a moving target by lasers, especially during a battle. They would need to resort to laser comm turrets or something else ridiculous just to speak with one person if they were moving around so much.

They're still using radio. Gato and Kou speak to each other in battle that way, Kou even tells Gato to use a specific frequency.

Besides, it's BS that they're constantly spreading particles. Haven't you heard of UC warship commanders explicitly giving orders to raise minovsky particle levels for jamming purposes?
>>
>>14589285
>Touch communication isn't definitely a thing until late UC, perhaps maybe Zeta era has it but it's uncommon.
So Zeta is now Late UC? Touch communication was heavily used throughout Zeta, far from uncommon as you'd claim.
>>
>>14588022
>>14588429
I thought the implication was that it was Amuro, and that it was highlighting high terrifying, and overwhelming fast he and the gundam move.

That to me makes his being "the White Devil" make a lot more sense, when you consider someone trying to fight someone capable of that.
>>
>>14589346
I've always heard that it was supposed to be a decoy since it didn't dodge just before the Zaku began firing.

I could totally see Amuro doing doing that without a decoy, but I'd expect to see it dodge
>>
>>14589386
He could just tank the Zaku shots though.
>>
>>14589272

No I am telling you to use Google translate because obviously you can't read moon. It literally says Minovsky particles will affect visible light (可視光線)
>>
>>14588022
I figure it was just a GM. From that distance you can't really make out any detail other than that it's whitish and has a big red shield.
>>
>>14589555
Yeah, but we never see it move away and the beam rifle shot comes from the far right of the screen. There is no way he circled around that quickly and closed the distance that fast. It has to be a GM or a decoy and the zakus got ambushed when they gave away their position.
>>
>>14589678
Read the whole sentence, choomba.
Or at least look at the few words before 可視光線
>is not mentioned whether affecting visible light,

While the phrase "affect visible light" does appear, it's part of the sentence that states that in Gundam Century's mention of Minovsky Particles it does not say that it will 可視光線.

See how the rest of that sentence changes the meaning of 可視光線?
>>
>>14589693
In game GM's don't exist in the story at that point. You might fight a few because of the randomness of the AI's tech development and low player skill but that's supposed to be happening when the Gundam first comes to Earth.
>>
>>14589715
True. The date on the video is Oct 1st. The GM roll-out isn't for another month.
>>
>>14589703

And yet they mentioned that high density particles blurs red colours,i am pretty sure that means the red in visible spectrum in this context.
>>
File: Jegan down.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Jegan down.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>14588539
>>
>>14588453
And in 8th MS team the gundam have USB hand plugs.
>>
This thread raises a question for me.

We know the Nu was rushed to get it on the field as soon as possible.

Was the Nu actually complete? I've heard tons of fanon over the years where people speculate that the High Nu was the intended final design. AKA The Nu we got in the movie was a slapped together frame with basic construction to get it in the field.
>>
>>14590219
The Nu was rushed, but it was the intended design. The Hi-Nu is just a bulked up design that was meant to go with the more bulky/powerful suits from the novel.

All the techs really did in CCA was put the manufactured parts together and some minimal testing before Amuro had to take it out.
>>
>>14586984
>yfw the Salamis Kai outlived the Jegan
GOAT SHIP
>>
>>14589320
No, I mentioned Zeta because it's separate from late UC. Late UC introduced the finger wires that were specifically for communication whereas Zeta had a lot of suits just get up close to each other to talk.

I don't recall the suits in Zeta needing to touch each other to talk, it may have just been them getting closer so minovsky interference isn't as great. It's easier to communicate to closer targets via radio than farther, with fewer minovsky particles to interfere with radio transmissions in between.

>>14590254
Hi Nu is actually smaller and shorter than the regular Nu Gundam. It's thought that Hi-Nu might be a complete version of Nu because the Nu Gundam doesn't have a funnel dock, the fin funnels are just bolted to each other and cannot refuel once launched, which seems like an incomplete system. On the other hand, the Hi-Nu does have a functioning dock for the fin funnels so they can return and refuel.
>>
>>14590646
they are like star trek's Miranda, the eternal redshirt ship.
>>
File: panoramic cockpit.jpg (430KB, 1024x963px) Image search: [Google]
panoramic cockpit.jpg
430KB, 1024x963px
>>14584967
They only work in the context of Universal Century because of how a mobile suit's camera's work in relation to the display and on-board targeting computer.

It should be noted that in UC, what the pilot sees aren't actually what the cameras see. A mobile suit cockpit display is actually a picture perfect computer recreation of data that the camera's and sensors collect (this is why the change from three monitor to fully panoramic display happened so soon and easily; Mobile suits already had various sensors all around the body for sensing the environment for locomotion or detecting incoming heat signatures. Upgrading was a simple case of swapping out those sensors for more advanced ones that picked up more detailed visual data.)

That's why later cockpit displays can display or "edit out" a mobile suits limbs from the pilot's interface as necessary, like when Kshatriya's wing binders retrieved it's funnels in episode 1, and disappeared from view.

A camera is able to lock on to a detected heat signature or object and search the computer for the data it is to display to the pilot by filling in the blanks with the database's image. If the computer can't figure out what it is, then the pilot will have difficulty maintaining a lock on and the target will be a fussy mess (this is why the Nahel Argama's forces could barely fight the Sinanju until Alberto sent them the data via laser communication). The GM Camouf was actually meant to take advantage of this by fooling the on-board targeting computers of Feddie MS into thinking they were GMs until they were up close.

Dummy balloons work similarly for MS; they are meant to be crude recreations of the mobile suit that used them that will momentarily confuse the on-board computer (and thus hopefully the pilot.) They can also double as explosives, which would come in handy in fighting an MS insistant on taking you down at melee range.
>>
File: salamis.jpg (840KB, 1748x1226px) Image search: [Google]
salamis.jpg
840KB, 1748x1226px
>>14585038
>We're talking about producing as much heat as a fusion reactor, you might be able to have a brief spike of those temperatures from a chemical reaction but they'd fade fast.

IR sensors only work on detecting heat they can percieve, and seeing as any detected heat sources tend to be mobile suits (and even then, mostly the thruster trail) or incoming fire, there's a good chance the ships hide their thermal signature particularly well somehow.

After all, IR sensors never really seem to do a whole lot of good at detecting ships. The Federation managed to sneak a good portion of their fleet to A Baoa Qu, after all.
>>
>>14585214
This is giving me Zeonic Front PTSD
>>
>>14590869
They're not perfect recreations, just augmented camera feeds. Otherwise you couldn't have the Banshee's display which clearly didn't pick up the ReZEL dummies as real suits.
>>
>>14591560
Someone posted the answer above.
>>
File: cockpit panoramic.jpg (295KB, 1627x2236px) Image search: [Google]
cockpit panoramic.jpg
295KB, 1627x2236px
>>14589230
>fan-theory
Actually, the fact that MS use a CG system for their displays is fucking OLD info from UC text books and mentioned in passing in the show. Pretty sure the Zeta novels went into it too, but I could be wrong on that. In any case, it's not a fan-theory at all. It's old news.

It's not just the panoramic displays, though; the OYW-era cockpits use it CG enhancement to a smaller degree in order to display far away targets to the pilot. panoramic cockpits just apply CG wholesale because it's the only way the panoramic cockpit can work without going berserk as AMBAC does it's thing. The idea of the computer compiling the image from dozens of camera feeds into a working panoramic adjusted recreation of data gathered by the sensors is kind of the only way the mobile suit can move it's limbs about without changing the display angle of each hemisphere, like shifting the time slider on VLC media player back and forth.

>>14591359
That's probably more because the dummy balloons were so close that the computer can make out that they are not mobile suits. Had Riddhe been farther away, the computer might have been fooled for a brief second.

It seemed like the Rezel pilot was more trying to fool Riddhe himself with a momentary visual distraction so he could get in close and disable him than actually using the dummy balloons for their intended function.
>>
>>14591768
>Actually, the fact that MS use a CG system for their displays is fucking OLD info from UC text books and mentioned in passing in the show. Pretty sure the Zeta novels went into it too, but I could be wrong on that. In any case, it's not a fan-theory at all. It's old news.
Which databooks are those?

>That's probably more because the dummy balloons were so close that the computer can make out that they are not mobile suits. Had Riddhe been farther away, the computer might have been fooled for a brief second.
Possible. I'm trying to remember if there's ever been an occurrence of an MS fooled by a dummy balloon and if it showed up that way on the display, but I don't think it happened. I mean, we know it's supposed to work that way, but there actually isn't a lot of animated evidence to go on.

>It seemed like the Rezel pilot was more trying to fool Riddhe himself with a momentary visual distraction so he could get in close and disable him than actually using the dummy balloons for their intended function.
Not really. There were several seconds in between launching the dummies and trying to attack the Banshee from behind. If you look at the webm, you can see that the ReZEL actually stops moving and starts floating in an attempt to mimic and blend in with the dummies.
>>
File: parade-main.jpg (100KB, 810x540px) Image search: [Google]
parade-main.jpg
100KB, 810x540px
>>14589109
Used in Thanksgiving day parades
>>
>>14591768

Interestingly the Alex, supposed to be one of the first MS using a panoramic display is also the first one shown creating a simulation for training. I think it's also a proof that the panoramics displays use CG heavily. Also, I always found that weird that panoramic displays in UC doesn't show stars all across them but only in tiny bits, maybe that's on purpose and not an animation error, to demonstrate that the sensors and the computer system recreate a perfect visualisation of space but can't be accurate enough with far away objects like stars or planets?
>>
>>14591562
>147 posts
Nigga you crazy thinking I'm reading all that shit. Just tell me you ungrateful cuck.
>>
>>14591560
Gieren's Greed, IIRC.
>>
>>14592266
That would be a fun parade.
Thread posts: 148
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.