[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What age did you grow out of Evangelion? For me, it was 17.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 9

File: Neon_genesis_evangelion.jpg (80KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Neon_genesis_evangelion.jpg
80KB, 640x480px
What age did you grow out of Evangelion? For me, it was 17.
>>
>>14584421
Same age you grew out of making shitposting threads
>>
File: Mmm.jpg (219KB, 560x577px) Image search: [Google]
Mmm.jpg
219KB, 560x577px
>Not enjoying Eoa for being the giant middle finger to the fans that it was
>>
File: 1249105796237.jpg (60KB, 450x557px) Image search: [Google]
1249105796237.jpg
60KB, 450x557px
Eva came out when I was 16, I refused to watch it until my 20's because I didn't like popular things and children pilots sounded like a stupid premise. My enthusiasm for the tv series and Eoe has only gotten stronger as I get older.

So basically fuck you OP
>>
File: vlcsnap-2011-06-03-14h46m09s107.jpg (27KB, 704x480px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2011-06-03-14h46m09s107.jpg
27KB, 704x480px
I discovered it about the same time my nuts dropped, which helped me empathized with the MC, who was also going through that same process.

Also he and I had the same beating material at the time, pic related.

I'm old now and I haven't grown out of it; but I don't whack to drawn material anymore. Not that i'm against it, I just can't get off on it anymore.
>>
>>14587520
EoE is a shitty retcon though. Why would you like that?
>>
>>14584421
When I found out that Eva just rips of Tomino, Ishikawa and Go Nagai works.
>>
>>14587650
>tfw you find out Gundam is shit for ripping on older mecha and Yamato
>you find those are shit for ripping on older sci-fi and gigantor
>you find those are shit for ripping on humanity's experiences with technology and industrialization
Creativity is dead
>>
>>14587670
None of those are as uninspired as Evangelion though.
>>
>>14587692
Wow, as a genre progresses the works tend to become derivative? You're shitting me, I guess Eva didn't try to do anything new with itself because it was just so "uninspired".
>>
I just watched it for the first time this past week; I'm 23. I enjoyed it immensely.
>>
File: 1423616291565.jpg (27KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1423616291565.jpg
27KB, 640x480px
>>14587670
>>14587701
This is the most loathsome Evangelion fanboy argument that you always see. Not only is it a destructive narrative of inept creativity, but it is ultimately strawman argument based on simplifying the situation into binary idiocy.

There is a massive difference between works that are part of an evolving genre and media that is created by patching together major works into a shallow imitation of whatever was actually good. Stories will have similar elements and people will be inspired by others' works. But you can create something original, which doesn't necessarily mean breaking conventions and revolutionizing things like you would be quick to assert to support your strawman. However, there are plenty of copycat works. These are works that do not attempt to express a view or thought of the creator, but is just an attempt at a type of work that is made up of whatever the director was influenced by.

It's the reason why Quentin Tarantino can talk about how much he loves and is influenced by incredibly great movies of yesteryear then end up making the most overdone style with no substance patchwork film, something that is just a bunch of things he liked from other directors thrown together with nothing under the surface.
>>
File: 1460841385902.jpg (430KB, 870x1038px) Image search: [Google]
1460841385902.jpg
430KB, 870x1038px
>>14587670
>>14587701
>>14587822
Is Evangelion that type of shallow copycat work? I don't think so because it manages to make a memorable cast and message, though Evangelion does have a strong copycat streak. But again, this is another starwman that faggots like you just love to use. Posters only ever bring up Evangelion's copycat elements to counter general misconceptions by newfags. Stuff like "Evangelion is real robot/hybrid/first gritty super robot" or "Anno was the first to" etc bullshit.

Of course, you even get mad if someone mentions that they are turned off by Evangelion's closeness to other works. This is a legitimate stance, since there is always going to be a portion of people who believe that previous creators did those scenes and elements far better than in Evangelion and naturally that would lower their appreciation of Evangelion. Don't be a faggot and stop being sensitive. Evangelion is good, but it's also incredibly unoriginal even compared to other works. This is the truth, deal with it.
>>
>>14587822
I like how everything Eva rips off is "inspired", but when something has even a little bit similarity with Eva it's instantly a rip off, a clone.
>>
>>14587826
Gaogaigar is inspired. It has references to other things.

Evangelion is a ripoff. It is a reference to other things.

You can replace Gaogaigar with The Simpsons and Evangelion with Family Guy, if this concept is difficult for you.
>>
>>14587825
>Is Evangelion that type of shallow copycat work?

Yes. Anno has a curse. One the one hand, he has a knack for film making, and he's a good draftsman. On the other hand, he has extremely narrow interests (a self admitted otaku). That's what he has been doing since his directorial debut with Gunbuster: pastiche homages to older works, similar to Tarantino, like that other anon remarks.
>>
>>14587830
A similar anime to Evangelion would be Giant Robo the Animation. A key difference between Giant Robo and Evangelion, is that Imagawa Yasuhiro is overtly referential and reverential of Yokohama Mitsuteru's works, while Anno is covertly appropriating the stuff he enjoyed growing.
>>
>>14587835
while growing up*

I need a coffee.
>>
>>14587835
giant robo is a much better written work than eva
>>
File: 51040739_p0.png (432KB, 1000x808px) Image search: [Google]
51040739_p0.png
432KB, 1000x808px
>>
>>14587670
It's not just that he rips them off. It's that they did it better.
>>
>>14584421
i was never really into it enough to say that I grew out of it. I only recently watched it a few months ago. Definitely over-hyped. Maybe I'd've thought it was cool if I had seen it on Toonami when I was a kid or something. But as an adult, I found it to be pretty dumb and pretentious despite having some good execution on some ideas.
>>
>>14587567
>shitty retcon

How? Everything that happens in it happens in episode 25 and 26
>>
>>14588320
Ignore him. He's just a summerfag that doesn't know the proper definition of "retcon.'
>>
>>14588320
Go back to Evageeks faggot.

>>14588332
You too. Even the staff say the fucking film is an alternative continuity version of the last 2 episodes.
>>
>>14588320
>>14588750
>>14588332

But he's right, though.
Seriously, everything that happens in End of Evangelion, happens in those two episodes and vice versa.

End of Evangelion is basically just a big budget version of those two episodes.
The older I get, the more I appreciate the psychology and character realism of Evangelion.
>>
>>14588818
>The older I get, the more retarded I get
Fixed
>>
>>14588843

Well that's very poignant.
It's simply baffling how people like you are so insecure that you readily insult anything you can because that's all you can do.
I feel better about myself every time I encounter someone as pathetic as you.
>>
>>14588857
Go back to Evageeks you faggot.
>>
>>14588818
What part of Eva do you think contributes the most to the character realism?
>>
>>14589119
Also curious about this since Eva has some of the most unrealistic characters this side of the Justice League, especially for their given roles in the show

The most realistic people in the show are Aoba, Hyuga, Tohji, Kensuke and Hikari, so of course, there's almost no focus on any of them
>>
I still haven't watched it.
>>
>>14588857
These two replies
>>14588843
>>14588866
were not mine (i.e. the guy you were replying to). I really can't be bothered, since you're dead wrong. Similar things happen in the TV ending and EoE, not the same things. End of Evangelion also introduces a lot of relationship nonsense out of the left-field, which is why Anno and his minions had to further edit episodes 21 to 24 from the TV series (21'-24') to better lead into into that continuity.

Anno and Tsurumaki have admitted as much in interviews. So there's really nothing to discuss here. Any form of "TV ending and EoE share a timeline" is nothing but fanwankery, mostly pushed by Evageeks. So on that note, I will reflect the troll's sentiment:

relocate your ass there.
>>
>>14588818
The characters in Evangelion are not at all realistic. They're deliberately theatrical: they are shaped more by their role in the narrative then their purported identities as reflections of human individuals.

Anno is not a naturalistic director. I doubt he is even capable of naturalism, given his narrow-mindedness.

I want to say though that in spite of several dismissive replies in this thread, I actually like NGE. But I can't stand the fanbase and the "public toilet graffiti" they draw due to it.
>>
>>14588818
One final note, the fact that you "appreciate" the "psychology" in Ecabgelion definitively proves that you are a pretentious twit. Anyone who seriously gobbles up Freud's horse shit can be dismissed out of hand as a cretin.

I've said this before in the last couple of days: NGE was a product of its times. It was created in the cauldron of literary postmodernism that was the 1990s, both in Japan and elsewhere.

If Anno hadn't done it, someone else would have made Neon Genesis Evangelion.
>>
I still enjoy a lot of aspects of Evangelion, even though I now recognize its flaws.

Rebuid is still up in the air. 3.33 might be a disaster but could be salvaged by what they do in Final.

I liked the secret society plotting the downfall of the world and I really liked the bio-metric aspect of the Evas. (I still think the idea of LCL being a way to protect the pilot from G forces in the cockpit is really neat)
>>
File: 2187.png (189KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
2187.png
189KB, 500x300px
>>14587900
>>
>>14590231
>I still think the idea of LCL being a way to protect the pilot from G forces in the cockpit is really neat
Mazinsaga. 1990.
>>
>>14584421
Getting real tired of the fag from /tv/ and /v/ trying to force their maymays here.
>>
>>14589449
Freud was correct and only got dismissed by other psychologists because they were terrified he'd reveal to the world that they have incestuous tendencies.
>>
Honestly I respect Evangelion and recognise that it's a quality series, but I don't like how nihilistic it is. I dislike how out of all the most famous super robot series there are, the grim, depressing, alienating subversion / deconstruction got to be the most famous and popular one. I mean, I get why that is, at the end of the day it's a really striking series with really high production values and many memorable moments, regardless of whether you think it has any kind of true depth or not, but still.

Also, I don't think I'll ever get over how fucking bad the ending in the original series was. Still need to watch EoE some time.
>>
>>14590318
But aren't all the most popular mecha series the grimdark but not too grimdark ones?
>>
>>14590331

Well, maybe the overall most popular ones, but speaking personally they're not always to my taste. The one real exception for me is Armored Trooper Votoms, which I enjoyed for its intrigue and had a gritty setting that really worked in its favour. My other favourites though are stuff like Gaogaigar, Dai-Guard, Patlabor, ie, series that know how to have fun. I really liked Gunbuster too, I thought the series of emotional peaks and valleys that series takes you through is virtually flawless. I can't help but wonder what went on in Anno's life for him to make an uplifiting series like Gunbuster and then turn round and make something as emotionally bleak as Eva.
>>
>>14590318
I'm a super robot fag, and I like grim.

That said, I couldn't finish Evangelion and I dropped it on episode 16,

The show is so slow, and literally nothing of importance happens, plot wise. Yes, I heard the show is character-driven, still, I didn't find the characters interesting enough to keep watching.

Honestly, I'd rather stick to Mazinger and Getter. Mazinger doesn't have the deepest of plots, but it has interestingly designed characters (Baron Ashura), and robot rape, which is always a plus in my eyes.
>>
File: tumblr_m6rapvcBiQ1r6ur81o1_500.jpg (31KB, 213x280px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m6rapvcBiQ1r6ur81o1_500.jpg
31KB, 213x280px
>>14590318
Consider watching Brain Powerd.
>>
>>14590460

Okay, I'll keep it in mind.
>>
17, but I rewatched it at 22 with more context, within its medium and as a narrative in general. I realized that all the reasons your average anime watcher thinks its deep, or anything is deep for that matter, are entirely superficial and retarded. The actual logic of the plot and how convoluted it is means shit, but its an interesting piece of television for what it did to its own characters and especially to its viewers.

Also the mech designs are to this day some of the most striking and good
>>
>>14587520
>>
>>14590290
No, he's being dismissed because his theories are unverifiable horse shit he pulled out of his own wide horse ass.
>>
>>14590318
EoE was worse. Much worse.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.