[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Yellow Hardsubs Appreciation Thread -- No Whitesubs Allowed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 9

Remember when you were young and naive and the world was great?
>>
File: 1445631268920.jpg (172KB, 640x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1445631268920.jpg
172KB, 640x1440px
>>
yellow subs for talking, white subs for thinking
>>
>>14561497
Most of the board is so young they'd shit themselves if they tried watching anything old enough to have yellow subs or hardsubs.
>>
File: 1460099675423.jpg (37KB, 628x470px) Image search: [Google]
1460099675423.jpg
37KB, 628x470px
That was before I watched anime. When I started watching anime I was 13 and pretty edgy but still watching entry-level comedy-drama-haremshit for some reason. Then I slowly gained good taste and then threw away that taste for mecha and 70s-90s shit, and by that point I couldn't think of a human being I personally hated.

But I digress. I never saved screencaps and I usually watch newer versions, so I don't think I have many yellow sub images anyway. But here's something that's kind of old and makes me appreciate the world.
>>
>>14561517
Well, unfortunately, that's all we got in some cases. I want to watch Sakigake Otokojuku at some point and that means I'll have to put up with HnG's hardsubs if I want to get my hotblooded delinquent fix.

But hey, it's better than having to sit through TVN shit for Gaiking LoDM
>>
>>14561539
Why is Noriko peeing in the bath?
>>
>>14562758
Intense masturbation session with her homies
>>
File: norikopubes.webm (398KB, 808x456px) Image search: [Google]
norikopubes.webm
398KB, 808x456px
>>14561539
Have a webm buddy.

And don't forget that there ain't nothing wrong with a little guilty pleasure bullshit.
>>
>>14561517
I'm in my late 20s, but I wasn't born early enough to remember the golden age of fansubs. I associate yellow subs with Macross 7 and LoGH, actually, because central-anime used that color.

I wonder if that's played a part in timing...when making scripts for Dragonar I put the Italian script in white and the Japanese script that my various Japanese translators looked over in yellow. Maybe it's cause I always associated yellow with Japanese more, though of course the practical reason is to make it easy to differentiate the two sub tracks.
>>
No matter how many times it happens I still get angry when I watch a blu-ray and it has white subtitles.

Every person who argues yellow subtitles are bad deserves a few decades of beatings in the afterlife
>>
>>14562845
Just watched something with off-white, almost lavender subs. Very thin borders (if there were any, can't remember). 100% awful choice that blende with the screen half the time. I think it was 3.33, so it's not like the experience was ruined or anything but take heed: yellow is best.
>>
>>14562807
>>14561539
Is this a special edit? I don't remember ever seeing pubes on her in all the versions I watched.
>>
>>14563022
It's from making-of material, it's not in the actual OVA
>>
>>14563069
I heard it was on the original Laserdisc release.
>>
>>14561510
blue subs for boys, pink subs for girls
>>
>>14561497
>Hardsubs
But the filename says it's from a DVD. Did the actual DVD have the subtitles burned into the video?
>>
Both are fine since they're legible in most circumstances with the black outline.

I'm curious what caused the switch and why, though.
>>
>>14563452
A not insignificant amount of people used to bitch endlessly about how yellow subtitles were 'ugly'. Companies unfortunately listened.
>>
>>14563490
At least Discotek are going against the grain and doing their own thing.
https://bakabt.me/torrent/182825/mazinger-z-0choba
>>
>>14561539
>and by that point I couldn't think of a human being I personally hated.

Why do you mean by this? Isn't it good to not hate people?
>>
>>14563532
He meant he dropped his earlier edgelord attitude, though I don't see why you care about his blogshit
>>
All Europeans I know hate yellow subs but I grew up with them and honestly don't mind them much at all. I prefer white but I am perfectly okay with yellow.
>>
>>14561497
I can't help but view this discussion as being about Chinese and Europeans.
>>
>>14564310
I'm fine with yellow subs or white subs. Both are fine.
>>
>>14561497
YELLOW AND SEAFOAM (green or blue) ARE THE ONLY ACCEPTABLE COLOR CHOICES FOR SUBS
>>
Subtitle quality is not determined by what colour the subs are, but rather by whether or not they have a stroke in a different colour than the fill so they never blend in with the background. The subs could be rainbow coloured with little flower patterns for all I care, as long as I can still read them
>>
>>14564483
you mean outline/shadow?
>>
>>14563443
It's U.S. Manga Corps' Zeorymer DVD from 2001, so yes.
>>
>>14564512

There's a big difference between outline and shadow.
Outline is good and enhanced readability.
Shadow is hipster shit that does nothing.
>>
File: can't perform subs.png (409KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
can't perform subs.png
409KB, 720x480px
Way too many early anime DVDs used this exact typesetting and I hated it to death. If you look at it on a computer it doesn't seem so bad but try watching these subs on a TV set and get back to me; the outline was just not thick enough.

AnimEigo got it right and got it right early on: bold font with a big, thick outline. Their only problem was having left-aligned subs but aside from that they were golden.
>>
>>14565067
I agree, yellow subs need to be thick with a big outline. I don't have a pic on hand but the Tekkaman Blade DVDs got things right in this regard.
>>
File: 1430441513270.jpg (10KB, 285x287px) Image search: [Google]
1430441513270.jpg
10KB, 285x287px
>mfw yellow subs on an HD source
The only thing that gets me harder is that slight echo-y sound old dubs have
>>
>>14562821
>Maybe it's cause I always associated yellow with Japanese more

It's okay, you can say you're a racist here.
>>
Yellow subs can look nice with the right colour and font.

Most yellow subs look like shit because they have that blurry scratchy jagged font going on.
>>
>>14566164
It took me a second before I got this...I must be tired, haha.
>>
File: source comparison.jpg (413KB, 1440x480px) Image search: [Google]
source comparison.jpg
413KB, 1440x480px
>>14566022
I remember being younger and watching Trigun on DVD for the first time, and volume one had these huge but easily legible subs that were a cinch to read, then come volume two I practically had to squint to read them and being young and ignorant at the time I couldn't put my finger on what was wrong.

Only later when I'd become more attuned to the finer details of this stuff did I realize it all came down to awful typesetting, and I'd come to find out was amazingly abundant on anime DVDs in those days. I don't know if it came down to purely technical limitations of that period(couldn't be, considering AnimEigo's stuff) or what but I think it's safe to say that anime DVDs from the early 2000s would generally never be considered a model for good subtitling presentation.

Pic I attached is a sub comparison between the old Manga release of Hokuto no Ken and the more recent Discotek release. As as always best wishes to the wonderful folks at Discotek for mostly doing everything right.
>>
>>14566174
I really hate that standard white color most media players use. I always switch them around to one yellow or another, while looking for the perfect font I can't find.
>>
>>14566164
I always like my subs to be slanted
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.