[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bionicle dead again

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 167
Thread images: 34

File: mask_of_creation2.jpg (334KB, 2488x1124px) Image search: [Google]
mask_of_creation2.jpg
334KB, 2488x1124px
http://www.lego.com/en-gb/bionicle/newsboard

>G2 Bionicle was so shit that Lego just cancelled it after 2 years

I really hope this means they sell the IP to some other company that would really know how to take advantage of it.
>>
I assume Ninjago's hitting the target demographics better or something?

Poor old magic masked robots.
>>
>>14556111
No, Star Wars Ultrabuilds.

But at this point Lego's reputation can no longer allow it to pull off a dark story like Bionicle again.
>>
I'm not even sure who to blame.

The AFOL's and rabid G1 fanboys who raged about it, yelling "THAT'S NOT MUH BONKLE!" and "CONSTRACTION/CCBS A SHIT!"?
Lego for focusing way too much on licensed lines instead of their own IPs to the point where like 2/3rd of their products is based on licenses, with most being Disney-related?
Kids who simply aren't interested in action figures and robots anymore as they used to be?
The design team for falling way to often back on the same bone and shell types despite having a wide array of parts available to go wild with?

Oh well, we still got some really cool sets out of the four waves.
>>
File: onemt.jpg (1MB, 1017x1000px) Image search: [Google]
onemt.jpg
1MB, 1017x1000px
Good, the 2016 sets were so goddamn terrible it deserved to die.

2015 sets were pretty good though.
>>
>>14556128
It's because Lego didn't put in any serious effort in this line at all. There was nothing special about the story, and other lines like Star Wars Ultrabuilds were cannibalizing sales as well due to similar but superior set design. Lego really thought they could ride the wave of nostalgia, but as expected, that didn't last long.
>>
Slizers reboot when?

They were /m/ as fug
>>
>>14556234
Not just the story, but the marketing as well was also nonexistent.
>>
They remade bionicle?
>>
>>14556126
It's not that it didn't have a dark story, it's that it didn't have an engaging story.

Ninjago is hardly G1Bionicle dark but it's story is far more engaging than G2Bionicle's "story."
>>
File: Tahu_Nuva_emerging.png (856KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Tahu_Nuva_emerging.png
856KB, 1280x1024px
Well shit. At least we still have cool sets from the Nexo Knights line.

Bionicle was a lightning in a bottle case. So much so that there wasn't steam left by the end of the original run. The inevitable failure of the relaunch somehow feel more like closure than a tragedy because there's no longer that lingering doubt about whether the series had to end when it did in 2010.

As things stand, the original six Toa Mata will remain the most iconic characters in the franchise, which is as it should be. Metru fags can suck it.
>>
>>14556128
>I'm not even sure who to blame.
TLG, BZP and TTV.
But mostly TLG
>>
>>14556558
I liked TTV back when they were actually posting leaks and calling Lego, BZP, and the entire Bionicle fandom out on its shit. Then when Bionicle revived they became another BZP, with the Lego cocksucking magnified.
>>
>>14556456
>Metru fags can suck it.
But 2004's story was objectively darker than 2001's
>>
>>14556055
Don't really care because there was very little I liked about G2 anyway, but it sucks they couldn't even reach the "guaranteed" 3 year run.

I'm not surprised, though. All those rumors about the line ending, even the BS ones, managed to spread a great deal of pessimism throughout the fanbase. Lego's handling of the reboot has been a disgraceful mess from the start, from the typo-ridden website, to all the leaked videos, to the guys at helm not giving the slightest shit about making the story work, the retarded golden mask contest, culminating in this wholly unspectacular cartoon they put out on Netflix. The question of what the fuck was the point of even rebooting it arises.

Still, though, I was sorta hoping we'd at least get another wave or, you know, Makuta. Maybe I would have at least bought him.

But hey, apparently we're getting the concept art made public, and that was always the best thing about the reboot.
>>
BZP on suicide watch
>>
File: msg.jpg (1MB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
msg.jpg
1MB, 1680x1050px
>>14556568
Dark =/= good. Bionicle 2001 worked so well because the concept was ridiculous but very well executed.

Bionicle started out as a good piece of sci-fi that got fucked over as time went by because executives wanted to sell toys and misunderstood the creators' original intent and just mimicked all the wrong parts. Does this ring a bell?
>>
>>14556577
BZP will just shift to Lego proper.
>>
>>14556577
Just you watch. BZP will literally turn themselves into a lich and become a oozing pool of filthy sludge like the Robotech fandom.

Garbage fandoms don't die. They just fester.
>>
>>14556571
>The question of what the fuck was the point of even rebooting it arises.
Making a quick buck selling toys?
>>
File: hajime.jpg (26KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
hajime.jpg
26KB, 480x270px
I eagerly await the balls-to-the-walls Bionicle reboot that will come 30 years from now that will be in the same vein as Gatchaman Crowds was to the original 70s anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ0I9LQ2EOA
>>
>>14556608
>30 years from now

What a thought. I wonder if I would still care enough about Bionicle by that time to support it. That's longer than all the years I've been a fan of Bionicle put together, and I've been a fan since literally the beginning.

Thanks anon. This post really did make me think.
>>
>>14556608
It's JoJo.
Except the Stands are Toa.
>>
>>14556055
They'd sooner dump it in Lego Dimensions for extra dosh.
>>
Which one was your first?
>>
>>14556649
Lewa
>>
>>14556608
>Gatchaman Crowds

I would give money to see Taku Iwasaki make his version of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v78I_VfIHC0
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (253KB, 1131x707px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
253KB, 1131x707px
>>14556649
How many internet points would I lose if I were to admit that it was Tahu?
>>
>>14556652
It will be the same but with dubstep and Lotus Juice rapping.
>>
>>14556649
Tahu. No regrets. Brother picked Kopaka
>>
>>14556456
YOU ARE NOT THE FIRST TOA
>>
>>14556649
Gali Nuva
>>
>>14556691
Oh hey, mine too.
>>
File: Gali error.png (82KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Gali error.png
82KB, 640x360px
>>14556649
This smoochie gal right here.
>>
>>14556678
Tohunga pls. Watch your health. We still need your guidance you know.

>>14556723
Did you know then that she was a girl?
>>
File: Onua.jpg (178KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Onua.jpg
178KB, 1024x768px
>>14556649
These claws were the coolest shit.
>>
>>14556748
>Did you know then that she was a girl?
Oh hey that's right, I did not. But I learned soon enough, once I got that mini-CD with Onua.
>>
>>14556760
They were. Really unfair in the unmasking game too. A monkey could win wit those grabby claws. The only Toa that had a chance against Onua was Lewa, with the hooked axe.

>>14556761
Huh, interesting. I never got Onua so I didn't find out till I started reading the comic at the Bohrok Kal arc. Came out of nowhere. I had to read that one page thrice just to be sure.
>>
>>14556649
P O H A T U
>>
File: Nuhvok.png (579KB, 750x600px) Image search: [Google]
Nuhvok.png
579KB, 750x600px
>>14556649
I can't remember if I got Pahrak at the same time or after, but I always count Nuhvok as my first. Glorious little bastard.
>>
>>14556649
This would be super neato if it was possible to replicate, but with the cut parts nope.
>>
>>14556587
>Bionicle got fucked over because executives wanted to sell toys
>executives wanted to sell toys
>to sell toys

Uh, hello? That's the entire POINT of Bionicle.
>>
>>14556234
It's a shame, because the first line was honestly fucking brilliant. Even the Skull guys were pretty amazing, but they still were building off of the first half of the years having phenomenal and creative set designs that really made it look like the line could hit great highs with the actual sets if not the story. Honestly, Bionicle was always sort of the other way around during it's initial run. The sets looked great, don't get me wrong, but they were sort of bland affairs in terms of actual design. Aside from the crazy initial Rahi who, of course, never did very well.

Then the second year came out and it was largely more of the same. Some of it was neat, but it became clear they were largely going to coast off of the designs of the very first wave. I barely even bothered to keep up with it then. The magic seemed gone. Last time I checked my local lego store, a month or two back, they barely had any Bionicle on the shelves.

Oh well, it was cool to get what we got, at least.
>>
File: tumblr_mmb67f58741rdjn0ko4_400.png (260KB, 352x490px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mmb67f58741rdjn0ko4_400.png
260KB, 352x490px
>>14556650
This right here. I think his mask honestly has somewhat of a more nostalgic and interesting appeal to me because of it, even though it's not really my favorite.
>>
>Bionicle Breaker game never
>>
>>14558608
>>any decent Bionicle game never
Amended for accuracy.
>>
>>14558616
>decent
The MNOLG basically made the setting for the first year. Though it was "just" an adventure game. I liked the prequel GBA game too, but it was nothing special. Still decent, though. That's all I played. Aside from the Mask of Light game which definitely wasn't decent.

Supposedly the Labyrinth of Shadows game was good? As was Heroes, even if it was non-canon as fuck.
>>
>>14558657
That online ame was the only one that was actually really good! I don't know about Labyrinth of Shadows, but I tried the GBA game, and it's not very good at all. As for Mask of Light, I never played that either, but I always liked the way they designed the Toa. Looked pretty good for the time too.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGQAYpolb3Q
>>
>>14558864
Still amaze me how they manage to capture, synthesize and concentrate so many good ideas into one single line of product. Such a shame new fans, if there are any, still never be able to experience it the way we had.
>>
File: 1448550495852.jpg (56KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
1448550495852.jpg
56KB, 720x405px
>>14556748
>Be on a school trip to Legoland in 2001
>Be Bionicle master, follow the story and own all Toa mata but none of the Rahi sets because family is poor
>Getting on the bus at the end of the day to go home
>See some kid has just bought a Gali and is already playing with her on the bus
>"Ooh, I've got her! She's really cool!"
>He looks at me like I just spat in his face and mutters "It's not a her, it's a boy..."
>>
>>14558876
Bionicle was, as another anon stated, a real fucking lightning in a bottle situation. So many things about it contributed to it being what it was that it's almost shocking it came out as it did at all.

Lego at the time wasn't doing so well. Pretty much every wasn't profitable aside from Harry Potter and Star Wars. They wanted their own, similarly narrative product they fully owned. A variety of Bionicle prototypes were made, the vaguely Polynesian robot theme was settled early on, but the real idea that sparked the story was that the design, Christian Faber, was recently diagnosed with a brain tumor. He had a flash of an idea of tiny robots delivered by pills arriving to cure the disease in the head of a giant robot. This basic idea would underpin the story for an entire decade, 7 years longer than originally planned. Because of that, the team had an actual goal to work towards and a twist to the setting constantly underpinning everything that kept things cohesive (not that they didn't get a bit out of hand anyway as time went on).

Other weird fuck ups marred the first year or so. Several game and merchandising ideas fell through. Pretty much every lore thing didn't work out, and this might have tanked the series, but for the one exception. The much loved online flash game, which was only meant to be a side story to the "real" plot. Thus fans became enamored with the world and side characters, while the main heroes were mysterious, rarely seen figures. It even had a properly coherent, if odd, setting and aesthetic. The lack of proper information even added to the setting, making the whole place seem even more mysterious. This was also the time internet sites being places to really get into a series were becoming a thing, and places like BZPower, and the other place can barely recall because you weren't allowed to mention it on the former, acted as lightning rods drawing the community together.
>>
>>14556650
>>14558546
My niggas, Lewa was my first set as well. I remember watching a commercial for him over and over, trying to figure out, how to put his axe on his back.
>>
>>14558910
>the team had an actual goal to work towards and a twist to the setting constantly underpinning everything that kept things cohesive

This rings true. Sure you got the feeling that there were mysteries and hints at a bigger plot with an actual goal in G2, but as a whole, it felt like walking into a house that's simultaneously being built and crumbling around you as you walk. Even the writer of the books admitted that Lego kept rethinking their ideas, making it very difficult for him to try and string together a coherent world and story.

Yeah, G1 dropped the ball hard as it went, the soft-reboot or retool in 2009 being a prime example of Lego wanting to do something different with little effort, and then pulling the plug before achieving anything. G2 feels the same, except that they had fumbled up even more, being unable to learn from G1's mistakes and make good use of today's multimedia-centric advertising.

I don't even get how it could go so wrong, it's like they tried hard to avoid G1's problems, but didn't quite grasp what those problems were. They dropped the heavy lore and world-building, arguably one of the main things that attracted kids to the franchise in the first place, but they still kept shoddy storytelling, horribly distributed, often inconsistent media, and the plot didn't feel mysterious, instead it felt like they had no fucking idea of what to do with it because they barely explained anything.

At least the sets did manage to correct some issues people had with the original run, too bad they had so little budget to work with, and they still made some baffling design decisions.
>>
>>14558475
That was also the point of Mobile Suit Gundam. Doesn't stop it from being a masterpiece of sci-fi storytelling, or the first year of Bionicle either.
>>
>>14556649
Onua Nuva.
>>
File: Tahu_keyv.jpg (111KB, 550x412px) Image search: [Google]
Tahu_keyv.jpg
111KB, 550x412px
>>14556649
This bad boy
>>
File: 1403235741036.jpg (34KB, 534x464px) Image search: [Google]
1403235741036.jpg
34KB, 534x464px
>>14559384
Mine too.
>>
>>14558910
People gave Farshety the credit for Bionicle's quality back in the day, but now it seems that it was Faber and the other designers who really gave it that unique spark.
>>
File: 1369692-pohatu_mata_set.png (463KB, 588x346px) Image search: [Google]
1369692-pohatu_mata_set.png
463KB, 588x346px
>>14556649
This guy right here. Pohatu's the best.
>>
>>14559684
>People gave Farshety the credit for Bionicle's quality back in the day

No, people only accepted Farshtey because it seemed he was the only one left who gave a shit about the story, but as it reached its end in G1 it became clear that he was not a good writer, nor did he understand Bionicle at all. Faber and Bob Thompson were the real creators.
>>
>>14559684
Greg worked well under certain constraints. Yeah, his writing altogether felt pretty generic and very action-scifi comicbook-like, but at least he was dedicated as fuck and much better than the woman they hired for the first few books.

Actually, I think nowadays Greg tends to get a bit too much shit from some fans. I hated the directionless mess that the web serials were, but I've also seen people blaming him for everything that went wrong with the story, which is going too far.

I wonder though what would have happened had Greg Weisman stayed on board for a bit longer.
>>
File: Bionicle.jpg (43KB, 480x384px) Image search: [Google]
Bionicle.jpg
43KB, 480x384px
>>14559758
Wait, Greg Weisman was part of this? Fucking figures that he cursed it.
>>
>>14559783
Yeah, he got a writing credit for the first movie. No one knows if he actually contributed anything because he got sacked pretty early on.
>>
>>14559758
>>14559783
>>14559800
>Greg Weisman

I don't see how he could have contributed anything to Bionicle, considering Mask of Light was the first "kidification" of Bionicle.
>>
>>14559803
He might have made the films less shit or had input on the overall direction of the writing. Who knows, maybe he would have supported the other Greg in vetoing the decision to make Vakama evil.
>>
>>14556649
Gali
>>
>>14556649
Kopaka. Got this for my 7th birthday
>>
>>14556649
Onua, got pretty much every other black colored Bionicle toy too.
>>
TAKUUUUUUUUUUUAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
>>14556128
>I'm not even sure who to blame.
The corporation is always to blame. Never blame your fans for not wanting to spend their money on something.
>>
File: TPhoto_00026.jpg (20KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
TPhoto_00026.jpg
20KB, 640x480px
>>14558456
Are the parts cut? The only thing that looks like it might be are some round pegs(the kind of stick used as a wand from the harry potter series), but I wouldn't be surprised if Lego had those pieces released for one purpose or another at such a short length.

Either way, I really like the design and the more I look at it the more I want to put one together, even though I haven't played with Legos in months

bought a $4 set of a dude in a car at the checkout while getting groceries a couple of months ago and built this out of the set
>>
File: rey.jpg (43KB, 423x800px) Image search: [Google]
rey.jpg
43KB, 423x800px
>>14556234
>Star Wars Ultrabuilds were cannibalizing sales as well due to similar but superior set design.

Man, the SW Ultrabuilds were fucking amazing. I honestly would not mind a Galidor reboot using the CCBS sytem.
>>
>>14559783
(Farshtey)
>>
>>14560526
No, Weisman. He was part of the Mask of Light writing team before he got kicked off of Lego for yawning at a meeting.
>>
File: 1439881380876.png (450KB, 752x941px) Image search: [Google]
1439881380876.png
450KB, 752x941px
>>14560360
>those clothes
>>
File: 1463594502914.jpg (257KB, 534x700px) Image search: [Google]
1463594502914.jpg
257KB, 534x700px
>>14559694
>>
>>14559694
pohatu was the most fucking badass bot in bionicles
look at that motherfucker's mask. it says "I'mma kick this boulder so hard up your ass there won't be any ass left by the end of it."
and fucking sandkaratekungfu shit.

>but lewa is /m/y waifu
>>
>>14561493
>G1 Pohatu was a bro, always sociable, always positive, always reliable
>G2 Pohatu is the exact opposite, a rude jerk and a loner

I'm not one of those people that go "not muh geewun" at every divergence, but this hurt.
>>
>>14556568
2001 had that atmosphere of discovery and adventure to it, followed up by bohrok murdering everything. 2004 being in a urban setting less so
>>
I liked the white one. His mask was cool, and he actually used a shield.
>>
>being a kid trying to figure out how to pose the Toa arms properly because the arm connected to the gear were too loose and swung out of pose too easily
>>
>>14558910
>Pretty much every lore thing didn't work out
What lore things were those? Only thing I recall outside of the MNOG was the video with the rocks and the videos with Toa finding masks.
>>
>>14561493
>lewa
>waifu
fag
>>>/m/
>>
>>14564081
Pin that arm with that connector, anon. You know you want too. Oh and don't forget to take out the gear.
>>
>>14556055
Lego has always been overpriced but the Bionicle Lego sets were even worse than most.

Glad I don't have kids.
>>
>>14564091
Probably referring to the scrapped PC game and the planned 2001 movie, of which we know absolutely nothing, other than that it was proposed at one point.

There were also the comics, which didn't get an ending because of the game.
>>
>>14556649
Fuck that! I was a bionicle "newfag" Cuz my first set was Matau Hordika back in 2005. I never get a to a mata/Nuva becuz I didn't know they existed until 2006 and I wanted Tahu but guess what? Those fagots were 2001/2003 exclusives. And I still got Matau... He is a part of my moc lol
>>
File: image.png (498KB, 492x491px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
498KB, 492x491px
>>14556649
This jokester right here.

His 2015 version was the first G2 set I bought as well, did it as a sort of honorary thing.
>>
I never got what the original Toa's left hands were supposed to be
>>
>>14564937
I thought they were guns until I read the comics. They were probably intended to have some function, but ended up being portrayed as weird looking, but regular hands in the instead.
>>
>>14564937
Baseball mitts for catching the masks
>>
>>14564937
I still don't know

It's also weird stumbling into this thread. I don't come to /m/ often and mostly just stick by the plamo threads. I honestly had forgotten about Bionicle and all that it was during my childhood. I remember first being introduced to the series by fucking mcdonald's of all things, and then being hyped about everything else. I even went to go watch the mask of light movie that I remember none of, and how hyped I was for the dudes with the spines on their backs and the worm leech things in their backs.
>>
File: christmas-haul-061.jpg (1MB, 3296x2472px) Image search: [Google]
christmas-haul-061.jpg
1MB, 3296x2472px
>>14556649
This lava-surfing badass right here. My bro got Pohatu. And then we had all six by the end of the year plus a few Turagas. Ialso remember spending a lot of time on MNOLG, and walking in the dead forest and Onu-Koro caves for what seemed an eternity at the time. Also, the mini CD-Roms with cool animation and lore, and the comic book that was published by DC Comics IIRC but for some reason in my country it was in Picsou magazine and the Lego magazine.
>>14564150
From what I remember most of the stuff in the first comics wasn't in line with the whole G1 lore, it wasn't dropped
>No ending because of the games
Wait, what ?!
>>
>>14565110
*was in line with the G1 lore
>>
>>14565110
>Wait, what ?!
The '01 comics had no ending. The first issue was an introduction, the second and third basically told filler stories with hints to what might come later, and that was it.

Originally, they were supposed to tie into the game, which is why the comics couldn't depict the Toa getting their Golden Masks, fusing into Kaita, wrecking the Manas and their own shadow clones, and then fighting against Makuta.

In the first '02 comic, the Toa already have the Golden Masks and have faced Makuta, so unless you played MNOG, you had no idea what you missed out on. And even MNOG only got to show these events (aside from the shadow Toa part) because the PC game got canceled.
>>
>>14556342
>Slizers
I miss roboriders
>>
>>14565110
>the mini CD-Roms with cool animation and lore

Are there any uploads of those anywhere? I never got those.
>>
File: barbatos.png (354KB, 636x912px) Image search: [Google]
barbatos.png
354KB, 636x912px
>>14556055
Serious question, would Bandai/Sunrise have done a better job with the Bionicle license than Lego? Not from a kit design standpoint, but from a story and media standpoint?
>>
>>14565369
http://biomediaproject.com/bmp/promo-cds/
>>
>>14565373
I don't know shit about them, but to do a worse job than what Lego did with their own IP, you'd have to really strain yourself.

The decision to cancel Bionicle G2 apparently came pretty early in its run. It seems that, from what we know, it performed so poorly from the get-go that Lego had to act really fast and scrap the franchise as soon as possible. It may well have done worse than the much maligned Hero Factory.
>>
File: Eva01.png (310KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Eva01.png
310KB, 1024x768px
>>14565571
>on /m/
>not knowing about Bandai and Sunrise

What the fuck are you doing here?
>>
>>14565591
I'm here cuz of the occasional Bonkle and kaiju breads.
>>
>people were into Bionicle because of the story
>mad because a new toyline that got released in your 20's isn't as dark and serious as it was when you were a fucking kid
>>
>>14565999
This honestly

I frankly didn't know there was a story as a kid`
>>
>>14565999
nice trips

>>14566012
the story was pretty fucking good for a toy line. sure it was just a basic struggle of light and dark, but the way it was executed was fantastic. it's a world of robot organisms fighting, living, actually having character growth and struggles. i'm probably speaking through nostalgia vision, but it was fun.
>>
>>14556649
Vakama here
>>
File: Faber1999_Fauna.jpg (541KB, 1341x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Faber1999_Fauna.jpg
541KB, 1341x1600px
Christian Faber ought to stop wasting his talent at Lego and go join Thomas Romaine and Kawamori at Satelight and make the next biotechnology masterpiece.
>>
>>14566341
Does he even do anything for Lego these days? Last I heard, he was working on some Bionicle showroom or something, and forming his own creative agency, separate from both Lego and Advance.
>>
>>14564025
I don't know why they saw fit to change them personality-wise. Didn't they make G2 Kopaka clumsy as hell instead of the cool operator he was in G1?
>>
>>14565571
I liked Hero Factory a lot
>>
>>14566406
They did, but that was only shown in his bio and in one of the animations where he slips.

In the Netflix show, his personality has been changed again, to the point where he feels more like G1 Pohatu.

In fact, most of the Toa personalities seem to have been changed for the show, and those odd quirks mentioned in the initial bios never come up.

>>14566416
I didn't mind it myself and would have bought the sets if I had the money. But it undeniably had a very vocal group of haters, which gave it a negative reputation. Many Bionicle fans were laughing when it ended to give way for Bionicle G2, and now even that has failed, so in retrospect, HF seemed to have had the better run after all.
>>
>>14566341
It still baffles me every time I see concept art of Bionicle just how much work went into G1 and how something with as much potential as Bionicle could have been so utterly wasted as time went by, and then reincarnated only to have its corpse raped.

Faber probably feels like total shit right now thanks to how Lego unnecessarily dragged his primary life's work through the mud. I would be fine if he decided to pull a Nagano and bring back Bionicle under a different name and his own personalized vision (like FSS to L-Gaim), with no toy companies behind his back telling him what to do.
>>
>>14566458
>Faber probably feels like total shit right now thanks to how Lego unnecessarily dragged his primary life's work through the mud.

He does hint at being pretty pissed when he made this image for his blog yesterday. Poor guy.

Right now Faber is working on this story involving a girl raised by a robot in a post-apocalyptic world where all animals have evolved to eat human waste products and the main villain is literally an oil rig. If he pitched it to Kawamori I'm sure it would get greenlit for an anime original work, given how much Kawamori loves his ecological themes with robots.
>>
>>14566458
>It still baffles me every time I see concept art of Bionicle just how much work went into G1

This, you'd never guess it was all for a toy line if someone showed you all this stuff. I feel Bionicle could easily have become an expansive and more mainstream franchise if it had gotten better media support, for example a long running cartoon that isn't as halfassed as the Netflix one, or a genuine comic run that's more than just a free extra for the Lego Mag. It almost pains me to see how much uncreative shit is getting expanded into media franchises, whereas Bionicle is like an unexploited goldmine.

The movies were a valiant effort to present the story in a more suitable audio-visual format, but yeah, they were just shoddy direct to video movies that gained little recognition.
>>
>>14556568
To me nothing will compare to the first two mask of life settings, Voya Nui and later on the ocean featuring old matrons who were turned into toas and not exactly fit. IIRC the green one threw a bitch fit when the black one had the power of flight, but by the time it was climaxing at the ocean bottom they had turned into full fledged heroes.
>>
File: barnes-noble-gunpla.png (1MB, 1064x798px) Image search: [Google]
barnes-noble-gunpla.png
1MB, 1064x798px
>>14556587
>>14565373
With Gundam on the rise in the US again, and starting to show on store shelves in normal retailers (with plans to go to Toys R Us this fall) and broadcast all over the internet on streaming sites with shows like IBO, and even showing up on Toonami, I wouldn't be surprised at all if in one or two years Gunpla totally steals the constraction figure market from Lego and becomes the "next Bionicle" here in the US. People can shit on IBO all they want, but it knows how to SELL, unlike Lego and their non-licensed action figure themes.

I actually hope this happens, Bandai's model kits are the perfect competitor for Lego. It would encourage both sides to step up their game.
>>
>>14565378
God bless you sir
>>
>>14556649
Kopaka. I started out with that cool white motherfucker, and now I have all of them. Mata, Nuva, Phantoka, Master and Uniter.
>>
>>14566045
Well, now that is special. Did you like the set or were your disappointed you didn't get a Toa?
>>
>>14565012
Ha, I like this. It makes sense, so this shall be my new headcanon.
>>
>>14566822
Not him but because I was a kid and he was red.
>>
>>14565373
Not necessarily. It's complicated because Bandai expect and produce very developed and mature product series, but a part of what made Bionicle great is how artsy and untamed it was, like others said in this thread.

But I'd be lying if I said I don't want to see a Bionicle kit by Bandai.
>>
File: goalkeeper.jpg (216KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
goalkeeper.jpg
216KB, 1280x720px
>>14565012
>Pohatu has two mitts
>also played the Bionicle equivalent of football before it got converted into hockey during 2003
>he's a fucking goalie
>>
>>14566524
What a good sport. I really like his commemorative paintings like this one. But he need not worry about his legacy though, as nothing will change the legendary status of the original toyline.

Unity

Duty

Destiny
>>
>>14566720
>I actually hope this happens, Bandai's model kits are the perfect competitor for Lego. It would encourage both sides to step up their game.

Don't forget they both have the Star Wars license and offer their kits at similar price levels. Too bad Bandai can't bring their SW kits officially to US stores because of the Disney agreement.
>>
>>14566637
Bionicle toy/lore synergy is such a good and miss sometimes that it would be helpful to make a list of runs that worked particularly well. First two Toa teams both had really good runs. Mata for the swag, and Metru for the coherent and interesting story. BOHROK and Rakshi deserve special mention. Then after that the Mask of Light arc on Voya had good story from what little I know, but the sets always looked to me. The toys for the 3rd iteration of the Toa Mata looked pretty cool, but the story didn't stand or to much. Everything else was pretty meh for me. Did I miss anything?
>>
>>14566855
These lores are getting a little too deep.
>>
>>14566905
The soft-reboot or retool in 2009 with the Glatorian looked promising. They finally returned to a more elemental themed, colorful set design and the backstory seemed to be aiming for a classic, low-tech, almost sword-and-sandal like setting. A lot of fans hated that it wasn't about the Toa or Matoran anymore, but I liked the fresh start.

But then that only lasted for half a year, and Lego fumbled up everything when they decided that the retool didn't work and just canceled the line. The toyline quickly turned into a vaguely Mad Max-ish "crazy warrior vehicles in the desert" fare, but the story was too caught up with its own mismanaged continuity to put any focus on them, and the entire thing just fell apart.
>>
>>14567822
I never saw it that way, as a reboot, but you have a point. For me the Glatorian run went straight from slight shock and surprise to disappointment with the travesty that was Stars.

If the toys and story tie in actually ran its course and took off, who knows what could have happened! The new toy designs were pretty on-point, even though I didn't get any.
>>
So is this the place to discuss G1 lore and what not? I've completely just lost interest in it as a toy theme now since Lego was just a complete hack about it, but at least there is still the fantastic 2001-2010 story/world.
>>
>>14567920
I always felt re-introducing Mata Nui so soon was a mistake from the storytelling standpoint. The new universe and story didn't have enough time to develop. Even if they had stayed true to their original plans for 2009-2011, that still wouldn't have been enough. But I guess if they had brought Mata Nui in later, that would have confused the kids trying to follow the story even more.

>>14567998
I guess so, but /m/ Bionicle threads don't usually last long and have so far been very rare.
>>
>>14566880
>Unity
>Duty
>Destiny

Even the reboot seemed to be built on the virtues, 2015 being about Duty, 2016 about Unity, and probably 2017 would have been about Destiny, but they had to cram that into the ending of this year's story.

But for whatever fucking reason, they messed up the order. The Journey to One cartoon lists the virtues not once but twice as "Duty, Unity, Destiny", even though a major theme in the original line was that Unity came first.
>>
File: Faggots.png (165KB, 1384x286px) Image search: [Google]
Faggots.png
165KB, 1384x286px
I miss when Stuart Sayger did the art for the comics.

>>14560372
I just got Jango Fett last weekend. good shit.
>>
>>14565110
>Also, the mini CD-Roms with cool animation and lore
When I first got Gahlok Kal this was basically my first ever introduction to the actual existence of mini CD-ROMs.
>>
Anybody remember "BATS ARE NOT FUCKING RODENTS GREG"
>>
>>14568295
Fucking Le-matoran...
>>
>tfw can't get original Toa Mata sets back together because they were cannibalized for parts to make shitty MOC over the years some of which were given away to extended family for their kids to play with
>>
>>14568359
If you have cash to spend you can always get them secondhand. Hell some people sell the sealed sets, though for a pretty penny.
>>
>>14568375
Yeah, but they won't be MY sets.
>>
>>14568375
Is Bricklink the best place for that?
>>
>>14568426
It's the most obvious place to look for them. Though unless you opt for ore-owned stuff, you may not get the best deals, because people there know how much the sets are worth.
>>
Are the books readable anywhere in digital format or should I just read the wiki story summaries instead to catch up on everything that happened since the Inika first appeared which was around the time I stopped paying attention to Bionicle?
>>
>>14556649
Nuju Metru. I then got Turaga Dume and Nivawk and a second-hand Gali Mata.
>>
>>14571865
http://cross-wired-freak.tumblr.com/post/68472919868/bionicle-chronicles-bionicle-adventures-bionicle
>>
>>14564150
Wasn't the 2001 movie supposed to contain a human protagonist?
>>
>>14571991
No idea. I think movie companies only started proposing that idea to Lego when they saw that Bionicle had already become a hit. I'm guessing the 2001 movie would have been a straight adaptation.

But I recall Greg or someone mentioning that the reason he thought the movie got scrapped was that even Lego wasn't sure what to do with the line. Even the PC game that almost came out had a totally different tone and ideas compared to the comics, MNOG or those CGI clips. There was no clear vision back then, just a jumble of ideas.
>>
>>14571865
You're better off with the comics for most of it, although there are some interesting side stories in the books. Vakama going back to the ruins of Metru Nui to grab the mask of time is a favorite of mine.
>>
>>14572102
>You're better off with the comics for most of it
Why, though? Those never go into detail and even in years where there was no movie to tie into, they gloss over tons of stuff and leave you confused. Most of the comics were shit, and depending on who you ask, the art either salvaged it or made it worse.
>>
>>14572887
That's when you get into the books.
>>
>>14572102
That was great.

>Hey Makuta, how do you plan on ruling forever when the concept of linear time is fucked?
>>
>>14556649
I feel underage

Vahkis are the coolest bunch
>>
>>14572887
Detail was the death of the Bionicle atmosphere of mystery and myth.
>>
>>14575688
How does that tie into the topic of comics vs books? The comics weren't mysterious, they just flat out neglected to give you huge chunks of the plot.
>>
File: throwbots.jpg (20KB, 467x350px) Image search: [Google]
throwbots.jpg
20KB, 467x350px
>>14556649
Fuck your new-fangled bionicle shit. This was my first.
>>
File: Don't cry.jpg (42KB, 416x302px) Image search: [Google]
Don't cry.jpg
42KB, 416x302px
>>14556652
>Click link
>All those suggestions
>All those songs you remember vividly
>Tfw travelling back in time to your childhood
Man, I think I got dust in my eyes
>>
>>14558400
Ma nigga
>>
>Flow of the River 2 never
>>
>>14576113
>tfw got the entire Throwbots collection for under $80 on eBay last year
I'm tempted to get another Millenium just to have his giant titan form along with his motorcycle form side by side.
>>
>>14556649
WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT THAT'S NOT KOPAKA
>>
>>14579591
Do it. Slizer combiners are objectively better than Bionicle ones.
>>
>>14566887
>Too bad Bandai can't bring their SW kits officially to US stores because of the Disney agreement

Is it only in US, or anywhere that isn't Japan? And why does that agreement exist?
>>
I wasted so much fucking time trying to learn how to use RMXP because of BZP's RPG forum.
>>
>>14556456
This.
>>
>>14556649
Tahu of course. Any other firsts are inexcusable.
>>
>>14583909
My first was Gali because I liked blue better than red.
>>
>>14583909
>parents let their child choose rather than surprise their child
Pretty shitty childhood, m8

My parents got me Kopaka for my birthday, saw that I enjoyed him and that there was a bigger story to the toys, and proceeded to get me the rest of the Toa.
Thread posts: 167
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.