[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is /m/'s opinion about Gundam The Origin?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 11

File: qd3U-large.jpg (26KB, 280x400px) Image search: [Google]
qd3U-large.jpg
26KB, 280x400px
What is /m/'s opinion about Gundam The Origin?
>>
>>14542117
It's the Prequels of Gundam.

Next.
>>
>>14542117
retcons out the ass, but Char gets pretty good development.
>>
>>14542117

too many zeon pandering,
tried to paint them as a less bad guy in 0079,
so many sudden awkward humor that felt weird given the show serious tone,

like Tomino said, it is kinda crappy.
>>
>>14542117
goofy characters ruined it, at times it looks like a parody
>>
>>14542117
If there's one thing that deserves the Zeonwank label more than Unicorn, it's The Origin.
Needless to say, they completely butcher Char's character and make him seem way more psychopathic and batshit disturbed than he ever appeared to be in all of his Tomino Gundam appearances.
>>
>>14542366
>If there's one thing that deserves the Zeonwank label more than Unicorn, it's The Origin.
They're both deserving of the Zeekwank label.
I personally blame Gaia Gear for kicking off the trend though.
>>
Haven't watched the OVAs due to
>CG

But the manga is fantastic, and it's 20/20 hindsight on the original MSG plot probably has the most worth in the entire Gundam franchise as an actual story and not as a vehicle to sell toys. It's also perfect for newcomers that don't want to read obscure conflicting secondary material on the pre-war events and how mobile suits developed.

>>14542366
>>14542351
>>14542370

>Origin
>Zeonwank

Merely giving more character development to everyone and detailing Zeon's rise to power and slowly building conflicts with their political rivals and the Federation in the flashback volumes/OVAs makes it Zeonwank? Who knew?

It puts Zeon even more at fault for what they did, becoming the worst war criminals in human history after the colony drops, making them rotten from it's core (but not without it's level-headed people, Degwin chiefly), even putting a negative (read: truthful) view on Deikun.
>>
File: 1468695642596.png (212KB, 383x347px) Image search: [Google]
1468695642596.png
212KB, 383x347px
wait so is this zeonwank or is it worth watching?

or is it somewhere in the middle?
>>
the origin manga and anime are totally different

but at this point anything new that concerns the prime UC timeline is a blessing

so bring it on
and char is a brutal heartless pedo bastard btw
>>
Literally Zeon fanfic.

Like, it's the kind of thing that people joke about being Zeon did nothing wrong but actually real
>>
>>14542366
>zeonwank
The Origin, at least the manga, is the first work I have ever seen.that pictured the colony drop as well as the use of G3 in a so DETAILED way, and such scenes probably would being contained in next episode.
Feel free to call it zeonwank.
>>
>>14542888
Did you even watch it, or just, read the manga, even? Because it's more ZEON DID NUFFIN WRONG!! than "Zeon did nothing wrong".
>>
>>14542117
Zeon Fanwank.
>>
File: Roselucia_Deikun.jpg (44KB, 360x400px) Image search: [Google]
Roselucia_Deikun.jpg
44KB, 360x400px
A series of shitty retcons worse than the original very limited glimpses into the backstory and horrible recharacterizations of classic characters.

Also, WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS CHARACTER
>>
>>14542357
>goofy characters

have you even watched MSG ?
>>
>>14542117

It's very, very pretty. I like to flip through the manga like an art book.

The stories are...interesting. Most of the Zabi/Char/Sayla stuff makes the characters even more one-dimensional and stupid than the anime, but I just read it as an AU.
>>
>>14542351
>tried to paint them as a less bad guy in 0079

What? They took Char's dad and turned him into a rambling lunatic in Origin completely destroying like the one reasonable portion of Zeon's backstory.
>>
>>14543589
This character makes char a pedo.
>>
>>14543589
>Also, WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS CHARACTER
As much of a point as Lalah's role in the original series: Not much really.
>>
>>14543589
Her point was to be the jealous dried up hag that imprisons and later kills Char's hot mother.
>>
>>14544074
Lalah was there to explore the whole newtype thing more and to give Char and Amuro more of a reason to personally hate each other.
>>
>>14544242
Lalah sucks.

I understand her importance but her character has no character. She is a plot device.
>>
All the references to '3' kinda pissed me off. Also making Char great at everything he does without effort kinda cheapened his character for me.
>>
File: 1425187979291.jpg (336KB, 1010x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1425187979291.jpg
336KB, 1010x1500px
>>14542117
THEY ARE GLORIOUS
>>
>>14543570
For the 4th or 5th time, please explain how The Origin is Zeonwank.

>>14543712
>Most of the Zabi/Char/Sayla stuff makes the characters even more one-dimensional and stupid than the anime

Mind explaining instead of posting outright lies? Because that's wrong, and probably proves you haven't really read the manga. Pretty much everyone comes out more characterized and fleshed out in The Origin than the original MSG.

One example is Dozle, who is seen deeply caring for his soldiers, calling for unity among his fighting family, trying to come to terms with/justify/contextualize being the main person behind the operations in the very early OYW that killed billions of people, interacting with his wife and daughter, and just generally being a fun, lovable guy with a big heart.

Another one would be Degwin, who is the most sensible in his entire family, about his people first, questions his family's moves toward war at every turn and his deep caring for Garma because he doesn't want him to turn out like his siblings.

>>14543589
>very limited glimpses into the backstory
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>14544876
I noticed you left out Kycillia. Is it because the Origin changes to her character are complete irredeemable trash?
>>
>>14543712
>but I just read it as an AU

Thats exactly what it is though. What the fuck else would you read it as?
>>
>>14544305
Who is the fat guy on the right?
>>
>>14544952
Top, middle, or bottom?
>>
I think it's pretty good. I hope they make a full animated series of Origin, seems like the OVAs are already hinting at it don't you all agree?

Can't wait for ComicWalker to have the manga complete in it's glorious coloured form. Does anyone know if it's near completion?
>>
>>14542351
>>14542357
>>14542366

What the actual fuck? Any examples or just hate?
>>
>>14542117
OVAs look like shit and the dub's voice choices were bad.

Manga is great, and is definitely worth a read for anyone that enjoyed the original series.
>>
>>14544965
Well I doubt he doesn't recognize Pappy and Hitler 2.0
>>
>>14544965
See >>14545015

Never even heard of pompadour Musashi.
>>
>>14545021
That's Blex Forer, AEUG leader guy who dies and is succeeded by Char in Zeta
>>
>>14544952
If your refering to the bottom right that Blex Forer from Zeta Gundam.
>>
manga is really good, one of my favorites.
OVA looks like shit just like the direction. stick to the manga
>>
Origin is anti-Zeonwank because it made Zeon Deikun a genocidal maniac, Kycillia a completely evil bitch with no redeeming qualities whatsoever, Jimba Ral a psycho, and Char even more of a sociopath asshole than he is in the original anime.
>>
>>14542117
> What is /m/'s opinion about Gundam The Origin?
Manga is a masterpiece.
Anime is decent.
>>
>>14544988
The Char Aznable identity isn't made up, it's the actual name of a kid that Casval knew, and intentionally used as a tool and lead to his death.

Casval and Artesia as were living on Texas colony, in the home of the Aznable family under the false identities of Edward and Sayla Mass. Casval befriends Char Aznable, a kid who happens to be the same age as Casval and appears outwardly identical, except for their different eye colors. Char is a Zabi fanatic and applies to the Zeon military academy, and Casval sees a way to sneak into side 3 and start his plans for revenge against the Zabis.

Casval also applies to the academy (under the Edward Mass name of course) and both of them are accepted, but at the Texas colony spaceport, Casval knows that they're being watched by Zabi agents who will attempt to assassinate Casval if he steps foot on that shuttle headed to side 3. So he concocts a plan.

Casval puts a revolver in Char's luggage. Casval passes through baggage check just fine, but Char is caught and is marked for additional security checks. Char is distressed and Casval acts like the best possible friend, telling him "hey let's swap clothes so you can go on ahead to Side 3 on the first shuttle, I'll take that security check for you and meet you later on tomorrow's flight". Char agrees.

Char boards the shuttle, which explodes on route to Side 3 because of a bomb that was placed there by Zabi agents. Casval goes through the additional security checks, and leaves on a later shuttle under the Char Aznable identity he just stole (the revolver wasn't illegal, it was apparently a collectors' item and had no ammunition, and he gives it to the security guard who was interested in it).

TL;DR Origin invents a convenient character that existed solely for Casval to steal the identity of and send to his death. And Casval didn't bat an eye at the whole process.
>>
Why is the Federation around in side 3 for so long in the Origin? Holy fuck, when did Zeon get the time to build up that army?
>>
>>14545100
The origin didnt create a character, it created the sequence of events that explained how casval and artesia took the adopted names sayla and eduard, and how casval stole the real char aznable's name.

There was always a char aznable that casval stole the identify from. The origin just showed how he did it.
>>
>>14542888

>Like, it's the kind of thing that people joke about being Zeon did nothing wrong but actually real

I have had a good laugh for a solid one minute. Thanks man. No sarcasm here.
>>
>>14545297
None of the databooks I know alluded to that, what's your source?
>>
>>14545094
How is Jimba Ral a psycho? He's just an old fool, attempting to come to terms with his lack of power.

>>14544305
Why is Revil there? I can kind of understand Blex, he at least somewhat matches the rest, but Revil is pro-earth.
>>
File: smug sleepy man.jpg (22KB, 220x224px) Image search: [Google]
smug sleepy man.jpg
22KB, 220x224px
>>14544305
>>14544952
>>
>>14543589
That's Marina Ismail when Setsuna didn't give her the D.
>>
It doesn't look nearly as impressive as Unicorn.
I'm not super engaged in the characters like I am with most other Gundam, but the plot is entertaining enough.

I give it a B+
>>
>>14544300
I don't care much for all the 'Look how awesome Char is!' wankery either, but to me it's sort of balanced out by how much they show Char to be an unambiguously psychotic, manipulative asshole.
>>
>>14545719
No. It's balance when reasonable strengths are countered with reasonable flaws.
The "unambiguously psychotic, manipulative asshole" part makes it that much more of a wankery. Some people just like to fap to nutjobs
and I guess Yas is one of them so he makes Char his perfect little Mary Sue.
>>
>>14545904
The thing is that Char's flaws (pettiness, arrogance and myopic focus on revenge) don't really come to the fore until he starts getting his shit kicked in by Amuro.

I think the problem with Origin is that there's no one for Char to bounce off of to bring him down to Earth a bit. Sayla is just a kid, Real! Char Aznable was a tool, the Black Tri Stars are comic relief and I don't think he says more than a few words to Ramba Ral. The closest thing was Garma and whatever friction between them was sacrificed for yaoibait to make the fujoshits wet.
>>
>>14545947
>pettiness
>myopic focus on revenge
I implore you, please, stop memeing and try to use your own brain to understand the world around you and what makes it move.
>>
>>14545947
>Black Tri Stars are comic relief
Not really. The first time they meet him was being in Zaku Is during the moon battle, and we only see his attitude pissing Ortega off.

The second time was the Battle of Loum, and they hardly interacted with other there, but you had the still-mad Ortega still telling the grunt soldiers at the briefing to "Beat Char!" (in kills) and make Loum known more for the Black Tri-Stars exploits rather than Char's.

>The closest thing was Garma and whatever friction between them was sacrificed for yaoibait to make the fujoshits wet.

They had friction? Even in original MSG they were friendly with each other (or, Garma friendly with Char) due to the whole academy days thing in both. Also Char x Garma is one of the oldest yaoi pairings in anime if you're going there.
>>
>>14545904
>>14545719
It's a real shame you guys don't like Charwank, because in that regard the Origin III cannot be topped.
>>
File: but steel is....png (287KB, 535x465px) Image search: [Google]
but steel is....png
287KB, 535x465px
>>14543834
>What? They took Char's dad and turned him into a rambling lunatic in Origin completely destroying like the one reasonable portion of Zeon's backstory

I share same opinion. IIRC in the tv show it was shown how his health deteriorates gradually while he lies on his deathbed whereas his death is now instantaneous who had his screws loose.
>>
>>14543589
If you haven't realized it, Origin the OVA is a pretty much a soap opera.
>>
>>14542117
Only Sayla got proper backstory.
Rest seems like attempt to keep up with the memes.
>>
>>14542117
> ITT: we hate THE ORIGIN now
What happened? When the manga was coming out everybody was sucking each other's dicks while praising it to no end.
>>
>>14546524
It happens a lot, just look at Zeta, or G-Reco, or BFT etc.
>>
>>14546268
In the Origin they only really show him the night before he dies.
>>
>>14546541
Anyways, to add to this, it's okay to like something while acknowledging the problems it has at the same time. Of course, even considering the flaws listed above I still prefer the manga version of events much more than the OVA (which while somewhat staying true to some events in a few places, also exaggerated some events in a few others). The only thing the OVA has going for it IMO is the nice 2D character animation, which I wish was also the case for the robits.
>>
>>14546524
That's what happens with pretty much everything. People praise it at first but then they actually watch it or read it.
>>
>>14546592
>That's what happens with pretty much everything. People praise it at first but then they actually watch it or read it.
What is actually happening is that all the people too uninterested to actually read The Origin, waited for the anime, only to watch it uninterested, and therefore getting nothing out of it.
>>
>>14546268
You guys didn't watch the show. Char's dad is never shown in the msg tv series or movie trilogy.
>>
File: Gundamep38f.jpg (70KB, 902x674px) Image search: [Google]
Gundamep38f.jpg
70KB, 902x674px
>>14546947
>Char's dad is never shown in the msg tv series or movie trilogy.
Yes he is
>>
>>14546971
Char's papa was pretty old considering Char was just a kid
>>
>>14546979

theseedisstrong.jpg
>>
>>14544876
>>14544885

Mostly I was thinking of Kycillia, though I wasn't too fond of Garma being such a wimp compared to his MSG version, but character growth can happen, so I'll let it slide.

Char is practically bipolar; completely psychotic, as others have pointed out, unless he's around Lala or Sayla.
>>
>>14543589
Every Lenin needs a Krupskaya, even space Lenin.
>>
>>14542117
The manga is an unnecessary rearranging of dates and events with really nice artwork. The anime is less problematic in terms of story events but is equally extraneous.
About the best thing I can say for Origin is that I'm glad they're not doing the entire OYW because the autistic canon arguments would have been even worse than when people were insisting that the manga retconned the show.
>>
>>14545094
Ark Performance does wank the best. They practically hand out competence like welfare making even fodder likeable.
>>
>>14547436
>The anime is less problematic in terms of story events
No. At the very least with the manga you're already aware that it's set in an alternate version of the UC timeline, with its own events having no bearing on the mainline universe whatsoever. The OVAs however insist that its version of events are set in the same continuity as the original anime, further muddying up the OYW saga with another extraneous side-story among a whole sea of other extraneous side-stories that contain contradictory elements on their own.
>>
>>14547645
MSV-R when? I could use some more Yazan and loli ace in my life.
>>
>>14545387
It is the cover of a gihrens greed game
>>
So Lalah is apparently being played by Saori Hayami now
>>
>>14544305
>No Mashymre
>No Glemy

What a pleb taste
>>
>>14549001
Dammit, I've been waiting for Keiko Han to reappear.
>>
>>14547647
True, but some of the more pointless and overt changes were undone, like the RX-75 predating the V Project by ten years for example. Also the fact that it's prequel-only means that all the changes made to the OYW itself don't apply, like the White Base only travelling down the west coasts of North and South America instead of circumnavigating the globe, whether Jaburo happens before or after Ireland, where Odessa was, etc,
>>
>>14545719
>Char to be an unambiguously psychotic, manipulative asshole
honestly I prefer this, as it makes the turns he takes in both Zeta and CCA more understandable(assuming those even happen in The Origin universe that is)
>>
File: 201607281455137a7.jpg (61KB, 500x525px) Image search: [Google]
201607281455137a7.jpg
61KB, 500x525px
>No giant head crest

The fuck did they do to Ral's MS-04?
>>
>>14551438
>makes the turns he takes in both Zeta and CCA more understandable
What? How so? In what world?
>>
>>14553565
Some people think that nobody sane would throw an asteroid.
>>
File: 20160728145514533.jpg (51KB, 500x525px) Image search: [Google]
20160728145514533.jpg
51KB, 500x525px
sweet ,char has a custom zaku I in origin 4
>>
>>14542117
I adore Yas' manga, but the series just suffers from certain directorial choices.

WHY WHY WHY DIDN'T THEY DO IT LIKE UNICORN? THEY HAD THE FUNDING, THEY COULD HAVE DONE IT LIKE UNICORN, THEY DELIBERATELY CHOSE NOT TO AND IT WASN'T A MONEY QUESTION GAAAAAAAAAAAH
>>
>>14543589
Please tell me Char kills this bitch.
>>
>>14543834
>hat? They took Char's dad and turned him into a rambling lunatic

Yes because being persecuted for years by the EF , while the future of an entire side rests on your shoulders wont put high levels of stress on a man
>>
>>14554635
she isn't in any other UC series, so probably.
>>
>>14553060
I like this, whatever it is.
>>
>>14554635
She dies of illness in-between part 1 and 2.
>>
File: 20160729_132222.jpg (997KB, 1016x1118px) Image search: [Google]
20160729_132222.jpg
997KB, 1016x1118px
>>14555101
The ms ral uses instead of a zaku I during the guncannon fight. In the manga it's got a big mohawk-like crest.
>>
How come the manga is mostly b&w but the scans online are all color? I want a color origin collection!!
>>
I like it, it's fun and charming.
CG sucks, but at this point, it's bare'y even a mecha anime, so I don't take much issue with it.
The retconning is kind of annoying and unnecessary at times, but I've stopped giving a shit about Gundam canon a long time ago, so I've just been enjoying the ride.
>>
>>14544305
What the hell is Blex holding?
>>
>>14560652
A pipe
>>
>>14561250
It's obvious now, Scirocco's belt made it kinda hard to make out for me.
>>
Is it out already?
>>
>>14561459
december
Thread posts: 98
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.