[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sidonia no Kishi

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 16

File: Sidonia-no-Kishi-Tsugumori.jpg (107KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Sidonia-no-Kishi-Tsugumori.jpg
107KB, 1920x1080px
Why does /m/ hate Sidonia ?
>>
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-07-24/knights-of-sidonia-creator-director-discuss-possible-3rd-season/.104630

Knights of Sidonia manga creator Tsutomu Nihei and Knights of Sidonia anime co-director Hiroyuki Seshita discussed the possibility of a third season of the Knights of Sidonia television anime series at the "Spotlight on Tsutomu Nihei" panel at Comic Con International in San Diego on Saturday. When asked if Knights of Sidonia was getting a third season or if it would get movie adaptations, Nihei said, "I'm also waiting for Sidonia 3! But I'm not the one who is making it or getting funding for it. So it's up to this guy" and pointed at Seshita.
>>
>>14533182

I don't know that /m/ hates it, I'd say it just doesn't like it, which isn't the same thing. Regardless, I personally dislike it because it has an interesting setting that it does nothing with, a boring lead character, a heavy focus on romance but with loads of different possible permutations - it's basically a harem show with all the negatives that implies. I stopped reading after about half the run because of it. The anime has an added problem of bad visuals, though I stopped watching that after a few episodes so it may improve later. I doubt it though.
>>
>>14533188
Yeah, except for combats, the show is pretty boring.
>>
>>14533182
because your mother didnt abort
>>
>>14533182
More like did /m/ actually watch Sidonia? I know I didn't but I would like to hear opinions about it so I may give it a try.
>>
Anyone tried to watch the interpollation/60 FPS version?
>>
>>14533236

I haven't, but that webm wouldn't convince me to give it a try either since a lot of the movement seems a bit too sudden and looks almost like it's skipping frames, presumably because it's going through them faster than initially intended.
>>
>>14533236
This make's it look a lot like a video game cutscene. Not an improvement.
>>
>>14533182
Wait, /m/ hates Sidonia now? Since when?

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I personally don't like it that much because it went from amazing mecha battles in a subtly surreal sci-fi setting with underlying horror elements to fucking moe harem anime with all the former elements taking a backseat and the mecha battles going full retard.
>>
>>14533218
The sound design is GOAT, the setting is great... The actual story has promise but eventually devolves into some kind of harem romance with mechs slapped on.

The manga finished recently(?) and well, the ending was the most disappointing thing ever. So many loose ends were left, too.

I'd still watch it though, because the battles gave me a huge /m/ boner, and the sound is wonderful.
>>
>>14533260
Thank you. I don't mind the 3D at all as long as the fights are good.
Also dem openings by Angela really makes me want to watch it.
>>
>>14533259
I said that to provoke a discussion.
I was sick by the lack of Sidonia content on /m/.
>>
>>14533236
>watching interpolated garbage

Stupid fuck, why would you insert diarrhea between every other frame?
>>
>>14533182
I loved it.

But then I expected a SoL/harem show.

Good music, funny characters, stellar voice acting, the show doesn't take itself too seriously.

It was just a very fun show.
>>
>>14533182
Like a lot of shows it is premise over everything else. The whole last of humanity in space is a neat idea but that is all the show ever does with it. Even the slightly more interesting aspects like the evil council are just killed off and never brought up again after not really doing much. Despite being in the title Sidonia is the most boring part of the show, the ship has no personality and doesn't feel like a real place. This really hurts the show as so many characters say they want to protect this place so much.

This is pretty much the problem with the whole series, interesting idea gets dragged along for ages and then never really comes to much. From clone girls to being overtaken by the bad guy and growing monsters on the ship if just felt like he had no idea where to take these elements. And then the end we have the bad guy just sort of show up and fight the MC who they barely have a connection to.

Oh and the whole "oh know we sent out or best 12 guys and they died!" gets boring very quickly and ruins the whole atmosphere
>>
>>14533260
>the setting is great
Without talking about those insert pages or saying the premise is cool, what was actually interesting about the place?
>>
>>14533236
That looks awful.
>>
>>14533403
>"oh know we sent out or best 12 guys and they died!"

I don't remember this being common in the manga.
>>
>>14533182

Its a solid idea that, after a short time, gets absolutely pissed away.

Everyone else has already talked at length about it turning into a harem show. But my big problem with it is that they introduced the Gauna as this massive threat, where even a single Gauna is a disaster movie... And from then on forth their only new idea is "Gauna! EVEN MORE THAN LAST TIME!" On repeat with ever bigger numbers, which turned the Gauna into paper mache mooks.

The Guns that kill Gauna mark the point where the show dives headfirst into its biggest mistake, since it enabled them to further mookify them
>>
>>14533433
It happened every time they sent people out on a mission. They'd send a load out who ended up getting killed so the mc had to go and be amazing
>>
>>14533434
It got more annoying as those guns worked so well yet they'd still show a load of people dying. Like just sit back and snipe you can easily kill a load with a shot

Also we never learnt anything about them. I get the show didn't need to but it didn't really take anything in any real direction
>>
>>14533439
Nope.
IIRC at same point they had even zero casualties thanks to the new kabi guns.
>>
>>14533182
Cause it should have more Blame! and less harem
>>
>>14533236
interpolation works well when you're going from 30 to 60.

This is going from 12 to 60.
>>
>>14533443
>Like just sit back and snipe you can easily kill a load with a shot

And they did kill a lot them.
The problem was that the enemy did develop counter-measures.
>>
>>14533457
Anime is 23.something or 24 fps.

Trying to change it to 60 is ridiculously stupid.
>>
Neat concept, good start, but bungled middle, and disappointing ending.
>>
>>14533182
The anime is fine but not the best, leaving your preference for 3D asides, it cuts/rearranges the plot to happen in different ways than the manga so a few things might not be properly paced.

It also has anime original stuff.

I prefer the manga, sure it's not perfect but it's still much better than 80% of the garbage this board loves to talk about.
>>
>>14533182
After initial development, there was no further exploration of the setting mid way in the story.
After meandering here and there a while, it just ends.
To be honest, I think this was bound to happen.
The scope of the story was too huge for it's lifespan series like this can have.
>>
There's little doubt in my mind Nihei just didn't know what to do with the manga after the first couple of chapters and went on autopilot until his publishers let him shit out a half-assed ending.
>>
>>14533248
I've seen better looking cutscenes than that.
>>
>>14533182
I love SnK even with all the SoL stuff and haremshit.

I just think the ending was shit and even though I am a massive yurifag who saw the signs between Izana and Midorikawa I was soured by the fact that Midorikawa became a dude. Haven't been trolled that hard in years.
>>
>>14533556
Izana was not into girls.
>>
>>14533573
But Midorikawa was and that's all I cared about.
>>
>>14533434
>mookify
From the verb to mookify, right ?
I didn't know that was a thing.
>>
>>14533590
You seem like the type of feller who gets mad when people use 'flanderization' in regards to characters being reduced to a single trait.

Language is fake famalam we made it up take the kabi lance out ya booty
>>
File: 1401384644961.jpg (13KB, 285x317px) Image search: [Google]
1401384644961.jpg
13KB, 285x317px
>>14533580
>>
>>14533556
>signs
You mean scene with no build up. It was literally they saw him with penis and went I guess we are lesbians now
>>
Maybe my brain just got rotten, but I started to find Izana pretty cute over time.
>>
>>14533236
First, this is an awful webm. Whoever made it was bad and should feel bad.
Here's one I made for comparison purposes. The 60 fps looks better for the character movements and in some cases the mechs, but there's a ton of artifacts when there's lots of things on the screen (gauna explosions for one). The shell casings here in this webm look awful too. Nothing I could do about it.
As for a watch, I'd say it doesn't matter. Both look irritating. The untouched is chop city and the interpolated is a pixelated mess.
Just go with the Director's Cut or whatever.
Just go with the
>>14533479
Sidonia is chop city, that was the point.
>>
File: Knights-of-Sidonia-Wallpaper.jpg (166KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Knights-of-Sidonia-Wallpaper.jpg
166KB, 1920x1080px
Honaka sisters (official) H-rated content when
>>
>>14535309
I meant Honoka*
>>
File: 1469365614040.png (117KB, 589x722px) Image search: [Google]
1469365614040.png
117KB, 589x722px
>>14533260
apparently Nihei rushed the ending of Sidonia so he could work on the BLAME! movie according to his comic con panel
>>
I really enjoyed S1 and S2 of KoS, hope it gets a 3rd season on Netflix.
>>
>>14534216
The one you posted looks like shit, takes all the weight from the mechs movements.
>>
File: Benisuzume .webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Benisuzume .webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>14535512
Didn't say it looked good.

Here's the other for reference.

It doesn't look good either.
>>
>>14533479
>Anime is 23.something or 24 fps.
23.976 and no.

While the film is being played back at 23.976/24 FPS most animation is done 'on twos'. Or in the case of anime sometimes threes four and fives depending on how lazy and low budget we're talking. That means the animator doesn't draw a new cel for every goddamn frame that shows up on screen, he draws one for every two frames and things like background elements might scroll 'on ones' and this is why actually playing it back at 12 FPS would look wrong even if you're not missing any new frames. The problem with Sidonia and a few Japanese 3D animation shows is they stuck with the 'on twos' approach and rendered their anime at 12 FPS which looks incredibly choppy for 3D animation.

This is why a lot of 3D sections of TV anime looks so bad and why merging 3D and 2D doesn't really work.
>>
I really like, its my favourite Nihei manga.
>>
>>14536700
let me expand:

why do I love Sidonia? because for me it was always a slice of life story and not a "we must defend sidonia, we must purge all gaunas, we must discover all the mysteries and shit". We star with the Tanikaze, he had a long background but he didnt care about it, for him, being a gardes pilot was a job to achiev what he wanted the most: living in peace in sidonia. But differently from most /m/ anime where they want peace but rarely shows how they deal with peace, Sidonia no Kishi does: Nagate enjoy eating, he enjoy being with friends, having parties and such. Thats why I think the ending is really good: He defeats the most menacing enemy at that point (Ochiai), he is at peace, just like Sidonia is. Sidonia as a spaceship its not a warmongering machine that will destroy all gaunas, its a system, they live there, they have their peaceful times there, they enjoy their lives there. When they are being attacked, they will fight, but when they arent being attacked, they are living. For them, to discover the mysteries about what is gauna, how do they communicate and such isnt important, living is.

The ending gave this sense of closure of Tanikaze duty as a knight of Sidonia, he will live and Sidonia will go on, in space, where they can be attacked or anything, there will be others, just like the title says: KNIGHTS that will protect Sidonia.

For me to see Sidonia this way, I can understand why so much people dont like it, The way they see all this is different and what they expect will never be found.
>>
File: 1398833680376.jpg (231KB, 842x658px) Image search: [Google]
1398833680376.jpg
231KB, 842x658px
>>14536729
I guess that was Ochiai's problem.
He was too focused on discovering the mysteries about what is gauna, how do thy work and so on and cared too little to be part of the Sidonian society.
>>
The fight against Benisuzume in the S2 was sick
>>
>>14533182
>why does /m/ hate __
>why does /m/ love __

is this a new meme
>>
>>14537004
>why does /insertboardhere/ hate __
>why does /insertboardhere/ love __

Has been a meme for a very, very long time, newfriend.
>>
>>14536729
This would be a more compelling point if the characters, their interactions and their relationships were interesting. Instead they are just as bland as some generic season's trash. Even with a giant penis monster they don't take the concept of her living in society that far, she just acts continually childish and stupid. And lets not get started on Tsundere-tron
>>
File: angry Tsmug.webm (359KB, 794x720px) Image search: [Google]
angry Tsmug.webm
359KB, 794x720px
>>14537499
>they don't take the concept of her living in society that far, she just acts continually childish and stupid
>>
File: knights-of-sidonia-4013591.jpg (165KB, 728x1051px) Image search: [Google]
knights-of-sidonia-4013591.jpg
165KB, 728x1051px
>>14533182
It's not hate, HOWEVER

Sidonia is the weakest of Nihei mangas, and the CGI is pretty crap on the first season. Alas, first season is very bland and looks more like a flash webseries than an actual anime.

The second season was better, but the manga (the worst Nihei work, remenber) still better, so

YEAH FUCK SIDONIA AND WTF THAT FUCKING TENTACLE COCK WOMAN IDK FUCK THAT SHIT

But the bear fetish is ok imo
>>
File: 1456392983243.jpg (267KB, 805x692px) Image search: [Google]
1456392983243.jpg
267KB, 805x692px
>>14537499
She was really shy, she was only able to be herself with her friends, its understandable her actions.

Even when their relationship with their surroundings is not that well developed, the characters relate with each other in the little things, that is the beauty of Sidonia.
>>
I love it.

It's basically BSG with mecha, complete with total homage to camera work, sound design and choreography.
>>
>>14533182
I liked it until the talking penis showed up.
>>
>>14539242
>>14538372

Was Tsumugi a pure fanservice move or the product of Nihei's deepest intention ?
Being a reader of Blame! and Biomega I tend to disown the latter.
>>
>>14533182

because it's fucking boring
>>
It had cool set design, and an interesting setting at the start, and I personally enjoyed the rather video-gamey escalation of tech, but none of the characters were particualrly interesting, nor were any of their interactions.

It was kind of cute when (main character) would fly around in his robot with (Tsumugi?), but otherwise I can't really be arsed to care about his various waifus, too many of them look the same anyway.

The ending feels like the author straight up just gave up on the project and half assed an ending in one volume.

Pretty typical Nihei fare, really. If anything, he's getting better at drawing people.
>>
I liked it, was hoping for another season. Its not amazing, but the combat and music is good and the harem stuff wasn't annoying. Its not knock your socks off wow, but its good for a mecha show with harem shit in it.
>>
>>14533182
I hate the full show CG.
>>
>>14534078
she got more feminine over time.

Didn't you see the second season bath scene?
>>
>>14534078
She became a transexual meme over the second season.
>>
File: 1400278520436.png (709KB, 1280x633px) Image search: [Google]
1400278520436.png
709KB, 1280x633px
>>14534078
Izana has always been cute.
>>
It's the worst Nihei work and the most derivative, no wonder it's also the only one that got successfully adapted thanks to mecha-shit, haremshit and generic shit written all over it.
The diarrhea inducing "animation" doesn't help either, too bad because the premise and the mechs are cool.
>>
File: knights-of-sidonia-2.jpg (121KB, 1200x750px) Image search: [Google]
knights-of-sidonia-2.jpg
121KB, 1200x750px
I don't know. Knights of Sidonia is one of my favourite /m/ franchises, along with Patlabor and Ghost in the Shell.

Nihei Tsutomu and Izubuchi Yutaka are the best living mechanical designers, in any case. No one else gets the real robot look spot on like they do, right in the sweet spot between functional believability and cool aesthetics.
>>
>>14546529
>It's the worst Nihei work and the most derivative

That would be, ironically, Abara. There's no need to be a hipster. Most mainstream =/= worst.
>>
>>14538372
>the worst Nihei work

Why do you faggots keep repeating this shit? Have you read anything Nihei other than Blame!, Sidonia no Kishi and Biomega? You should, that way you'd know what the worst NIhei work actually reads like.
>>
>>14533403

Read the manga. The anime was much more focussed on the personal relationships between the characters than the world building and story.
>>
>>14547301
I did, if anything the manga drags that shit out more especially the later chapters which for large stretches almost drop everything for SoL
>>
>>14533182
Looks like shit compared to even the lowest of 2D anime budgets
>>
>>14547264
Abara, NOiSE... then?
>>
>>14547426
Both Abara and NOISE are actually pretty fucking awful. His one-shots vary a lot in quality too. Sidonia is up there with Biomega in quality.

Blame is still Nihei's best work, even after all these years.
>>
I just finished watching Knights of Sidonia and the first season I didn't like the animation at first but really enjoyed how brutal it was. The second season I warmed up to the animation a lot more but I didn't like how much slice of life shit got crammed in there (seriously it was like from episode 4-9 where the show was nothing but 90% sol), however the last couple episodes sort of made up for it for just being amazing.
>>
>>14547361
Here's your (you)
>>
Just marathoned the whole thing because why not.

S1 held my interest, I liked the harder sci-fi bent it had going for it, objects have momentum, even the stupid romance shit had some neat sci-fi space survival aspects. It had this sort of mysterious and foreboding atmosphere to it. The ship itself being hundreds of years old and holding all sorts of secrets. It was far from perfect, obviously the CGI is shit but that's to be expected, the protagonist is an uninteresting dud, the interpersonal relationships were standard, stock, and lame, but it game me a bit of an ender's game vibe and I kinda enjoyed it for what it was.

S2 was pretty much shit and I really have no idea why it had such a drastic tonal shift. I kept waiting for it to get back to the cool sci-fi stuff but kinda just wallowed in wore out anime tropes, pointless love triangles, battles that were all style over substance and just nothing really I was interested in watching anymore. The CGI was better this time around, characters were noticeably more emotive but that didn't save our wet fish of a protagonist from being dull and uninteresting but it's still far from something I'd say looked good. I thought the Guana got pretty boring in this season too it's almost like they ran out of tricks in the first season. Which brings up the fact that this show had some serious power creep issues. Apparently they've been fighting these things for hundreds of years they've encountered 400-something of them prior to the start of the show, and all of them were killed with kabi spears. But suddenly we get man-made kabis and they evolve and adapt and rapidly get stronger in a matter of weeks, basically to the point the old weapons are worthless.

They really lost me with that second season. Not sure I'd stick around for a third.
>>
The ending was a bit too cheesy/saccharine (how did they even restore Tsumugi's personality just from a tiny piece of placenta?) but other than that, Sidonia was great.
>>
>>14533236
This looks worse than the original footage.
>>
It saddens me how Nihei forgot how to use black after the first few volumes. Don't known if it's laziness or poor artistic choice, but those full white pages with faint outlines broke my heart every time, specially after reading Abara.
>>
>>14538488
Which was the only good that thing came out of NuBSG
I was glad they did it in this show it makes up for the bland character models and awkward walking animations they have.
>>
File: 1443329970857.png (56KB, 299x334px) Image search: [Google]
1443329970857.png
56KB, 299x334px
>>14556017
What happened to the black?
>>
>>14556267
The black saw the ship that was going to take him to a distant land and thought "not falling for that one again."
>>
>>14556267
I think he meant to say that Nihei stopped painting shadows in some of the panels later on in the manga. There are even several two page spreads where only the outlines are drafted, without any shadows.
>>
>>14533182
The entire last year of the manga.
>>
>>14535460
Oh come the fuck on. If he was getting bored of it and wanted to move on I could kind of accept it but he shot Sidonia on the head just so he could go back to Blame!?
>>
>>14558469

The really sad thing is he could have just announced an indefinite hiatus while he worked on Blame! with the intention of going back to it in a year or two when he was finished that project and I doubt most readers would have been too upset since he'd hardly be the first mangaka to go on hiatus and he certainly has better reason than Togashi or even Miura, who appear to be taking many breaks simply because they can get away with it.
>>
>>14535460
Is their a youtube video of this comic con panel?
>>
>>14558469
Blame! is called that for a reason.
>>
this show started off really good with the humans going through space trying to survive and being hunted by the aliens or whatever the fuck they are but I KNEW THAT IT WOULD GO FULL ANIME and completely forget the sci fi setting and it happened when it became a love triangle. fuck
>>
So, what was really the Gauna?

Who left the relic with the Kabizashi?
>>
>>14561718
mysteries best left unsolved
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.