[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /m/ think of RahXephon? A lot of people like to call

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 10

File: rahxephon.jpg (252KB, 850x1201px) Image search: [Google]
rahxephon.jpg
252KB, 850x1201px
What does /m/ think of RahXephon?

A lot of people like to call it an Evangelion clone. Does it surpass the show it supposedly copies? Does it strike out in its own direction in any way? And above all else is it worth giving a shot?
>>
I never saw it as an Eva clone. Just about the biggest thing they share is being a "deep" show. It's a very satisfying watch so I'd say just check it out now.

I liked it better than NGE.
>>
It's an eva clone on the most superficial level, but aince anome and video game fans cannot fathom depth beyond the immediate logic of whatever bullshit narrative they were consuming, the show was written off.

Nge's depth has pretty much nothing to do with the plot.

Rahxephon, as i recall, was kind of flawed, but goes in an entirely different direction earlier on. It reminded me more of ff8, it's more focused on the arc of the maon two charactrers in a more traditional sense, and it has a great aesthetic. I think it's definitely worth a watch, but it doesn't stick the same way other shows do.
>>
I thought Rahxephon was absolutely awful, much worse than Eva. And I don't even like Eva to begin with.

It's incredibly pretentious. Unlike with Eva, there is almost nothing happening at all other than it trying to throw every bit of half-baked pseudo philosophical rambling and convoluted symbolism the writers could think of at you. This is apparently more important than things like establishing setting details or having action scenes with any semblance of stakes or tension.

Yes, it does have its own identity distinct from Eva, despite several similarities, but you don't really start to see that come into full force until like 3/4 of the way through.

But anyway, I'd say avoid like the plague. If you want a not-Eva, check out Fafner, which surpasses Eva and then some
>>
>>14532136

I remember watching RahXephon on TV when I was younger. I never saw Eva, so I cannot compare it, but I know I really dug RahXephon. Kinda sad that it can't be discussed on its own merits often. Makes me want to watch the show again.
>>
>>14532136

HAIR!
>>
It's really more of a brave raideen homage than eva, even the creators admit it.

with that said, I really liked it plot and character wise, animation was decent and so are the mechs too
>>
I liked pretty much all of it except the finale.

So, I liked it.
>>
>>14532419
Also, 'Bitterly Cold Holy Night', is one of my top 10 single episodes of a show, and RXP isn't near the top 10 for my favorite series.
>>
>>14532423
Good taste.
>>
>>14532136
Boring Eva clone with delusional fans claiming it's not
>>
>>14532136
I'm around half way through. It's not exactly a compelling show. At times it comes across as pretentious, needlessly convoluted, and dull. And while it is similar to Neon Genesis Evangelion in some respects (occasionally pushing the line between homage and plagiarism), it does go off in its own direction eventually. Though honestly, if a certain development is about to happen that I think is going to happen, dropping a good chunk of the robot/conspiracy stuff and focusing on the romance would have been more interesting. Also, the fights are usually boring.
>>
It both is and isn't an Eva clone.

I mean it is essentially a gritty 90s version of Raideen. But at the same time, it REALLY takes what was popular and profitable from Eva and applies that to itself.
>>
>>14532558

Did you get to the sad scene?

I don't need to specify what, if it's happened you know.
>>
The OP song Hemisphere is one of the very few anime songs that I would use the word beautiful to describe.
>>
File: Karellen.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Karellen.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>14532136
>>14532456
Only ignorant people say its an Eva clone. Especially evident if Eva is their first anime.
People say the same thing about Xenogears, ignoring the interviews where the directors of both anime have stated Childhood's End (by Arthur C Clarke) as their direct inspiration.
>>
>>14532680

That and if any mecha anime was the inspiration for Gears, it was blatantly G Gundam. Grahf is just a combination of Darth Vader and Master Asia.
>>
File: Raideen.jpg (58KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
Raideen.jpg
58KB, 600x800px
>>14532680
My bad. I meant Xenogears and Eva were both inspired by Childhood's End. Rahxephon on the other hand is the spiritual successor to Raideen, which Evangelion also apes. Obviously, since Eva fans are babies and refuse to watch any mecha anime older than Eva, that means they'll never watch Raideen and discover how much of a ripoff their beloved anime truly is.
>>
File: 281563_zps04f941f5.jpg (41KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
281563_zps04f941f5.jpg
41KB, 500x374px
>>14532697
>that means they'll never watch Raideen and discover how much of a ripoff their beloved anime truly is.

Who cares that it's a ripoff when it's actually better than the animes it rips off. Only the hipsterest of the hipsters would deny this.
>>
>>14532176
>check out Fafner, which surpasses Eva and then some
>Fafner
>surpasses Eva

Did you hit your head or something?
>>
>>14532697
>>14532680

Go fuck yourself. Evangelion is one of the later mecha shows I watched, and you're so much in denial it's hilarious. It's not just that Raideen is a common inspiration to the two shows. Rahxephon copies entire plot points and character dynamics from Evangelion that did not exist in Raideen. That's why people rightfully call it an Eva clone, not a Raideen clone. Because with the latter it only shares some setting elements, while with the former it shares entire narrative segments.

Here's an analogy: if a show features a spaceship on a voyage around the galaxy it probably apes Yamato. But if it features a spaceship on a voyage, and idols and mecha pilots have a prominent role, than it apes Macross, regardless of the fact that Macross itself copies Yamato.

It's the same with Rahxephon and Evangelion. Entire blocks of the stories are ripped off from Evangelion, because the arrangement of those elements in the narrative is most similar to Evangelion's, irrespective of them existing separately in other titles prior to Evangelion.
>>
>>14532798
>trying to use logic with Rahxephags
It's useless anon, they'll still crawl in their safe spaces yelling "WAAAH IT'S A MODERN RAIDEEN WAAAH" like they always do.
>>
File: Hand.webm (23KB, 300x226px) Image search: [Google]
Hand.webm
23KB, 300x226px
>>14532672
BEHOLD
>>
File: 1469335203501.jpg (245KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1469335203501.jpg
245KB, 800x1200px
>>14532697
>>
File: 487783498214.png (135KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
487783498214.png
135KB, 640x480px
>>14532665
This?
>>
>>14536565

No, you know which one I mean.

A Y A T O
>>
File: 1234567890-.jpg (644KB, 2261x2328px) Image search: [Google]
1234567890-.jpg
644KB, 2261x2328px
>>14536582
Unless I'm forgetting something, I don't remember anything much sadder than that. I'll watch a few more episodes tomorrow and be on the look out.
>>
>>14536605
He's talking about episode 19.
>>
>>14532136
A bad clone
>>
>>14532136

Check it out, /m/ is kinda on the fence with this one, but at least I guess you'll like the music.
>>
File: 3223433546.jpg (788KB, 1416x2968px) Image search: [Google]
3223433546.jpg
788KB, 1416x2968px
>>14547473
Yes. While I have a fair share of misgivings about the show itself, I love the reoccurring downbeat theme (12years).
>>
File: golgo avatar.jpg (43KB, 620x382px) Image search: [Google]
golgo avatar.jpg
43KB, 620x382px
>>14532136
I dunno if my life was really shitty when I saw it but, I swear I cried at the ending. The series just felt sad as fuck to me, but it was good nonetheless.
>>
It's like someone tried to draw their own Eva but realized they were ending up with nothing but boring ripoffs so they decided to add a bunch of random shit onto the design.

Shadow Star is the superior Eva clone.
>>
>>14536582

I physically winced. The cut was deep.
>>
>>14532136
I love Rahxephon and will admit initially they did copy a little too much/try too hard to be like Eva, but it broke off and ended up doing its own thing.

More importantly though, I love it because without Rahxephon, bones would never have made E7, and I fucking love E7. E7 is godlike. Thank you rahxephon for teaching bones.
>>
It had a lot of potential and some great scenes, but 90% of the show consisted of two people standing in a room together, whispering about some pseudo-philosophical bullshit. Then one character would start to say something plot-relevant and the other would get super offended and say, "Don't you dare say it!" and the scene would end.

I've seen the show twice and the movie once and I barely remember any of it.
>>
>>14548019
>Shadow Star is the superior Eva clone.

Fuck no. Mohiro Kitoh is an idiot who's idea of a dramatic story plays out like some 14 year old's DARK fantasy. People complain about Urobutcher for relying too much on cheap shock tactics but Kitoh is way, way worse.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.