[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Old FSS Movie scans

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8

File: fss_movie_mecha.jpg (183KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
fss_movie_mecha.jpg
183KB, 1024x768px
Does anyone have proper scans of the original mecha and character designs for the old 1989 FSS movie? Not Nagano's art, but the ones made specifically for the movie like pic related.

Hell post all the art you can find of the old movie if you can, it's one of my favorites.
>>
This movie sucked. Only 2 minutes of mecha, really?
>>
File: 20160720_212659.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160720_212659.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>mfw this hangs over my battlestation

All I know is that it came out of a late eighties Newtype magazine
>>
File: kog.gif (3MB, 260x151px) Image search: [Google]
kog.gif
3MB, 260x151px
>>14521440
2 gorgeous minutes that are some of the best mecha animation ever.
>>
>>14521440
Gothicmade is probably just like that so don't watch it if it ever comes out!
>>
This movie was gorgeous and I'm upset we never got a sequel because Nagano decided to be a dick.
>>
>>14521554
Nagano had nothing to do with there not being a sequel. The movie itself is a one-shot advertisement for the manga, like Nausicaa, Akira, and Gunm. There was never going to be a sequel.
>>
File: junchoon4.gif (158KB, 835x723px) Image search: [Google]
junchoon4.gif
158KB, 835x723px
>>14521608
You're probably right. But it still upsets me that a sequel was never made, because it would have been the ideal time for it back then. Nowadays nobody can animate FSS without resorting to CGI (Gothicmade being the exception as opposed to the norm, and it doesn't look anywhere near the visual level of the FSS movie).

The Colus-Hagooda arc, which takes place after the movie, is by far the best arc of FSS. They could have just animated that arc and none of the rest and I would be satisfied. Had it been made in the early 90s with depressed Anno as the director and the talented animators back then, it would have been a masterpiece.
>>
>>14522323
My favorite part of that arc was the fatima listening to the baby in the Queen's stomach.
>>
>>14522323
>with depressed Anno as the director

You had me up to this point. Not saying he's a bad director, but why him of all things? Why not Ikuhara or Tomino?
>>
>>14521516
Gothicmade was exactly like that according to those that watched it in Japan. One of them was one of the more known namefags as well.

But they added that it was almost like a flash animation; just static poses of the GTMs as they "teleported" around each other.
>>
>>14522373
>But they added that it was almost like a flash animation; just static poses of the GTMs as they "teleported" around each other.

I've read a few reviews of Gothicmade, both English and a couple moon ones, and this is the first time I have heard such a complaint. Most people were complimenting the mecha animation, and the complaints stemmed from the character animation. The only complaint for the mecha animation was that it was too short and there wasn't more of it, which is the same thing people said about the old movie.

http://otakuusamagazine.com/Anime/News1/-Review-Mamoru-Naganos-Gothicmade-4836.aspx

Still not passing any judgement until Nagano decides to hurry up his hand-pressing of every BD and actually release the damn thing.
>>
File: FSS Book V -63.jpg (164KB, 1093x1499px) Image search: [Google]
FSS Book V -63.jpg
164KB, 1093x1499px
>>14522362
>Tomino

Already did L-Gaim and we all know how that went. Tomino is also better at TV series than movies.

>Ikuhara

Visually he would be a good fit, but thematically FSS is nothing like the rest of his works, especially the Colus arc.

>why Anno?

Lots of battle scenes (including Anno's favorite- tanks), a good amount of boardroom/strategic planning meetings, characters with twisted psychs and pasts, an overall melancholic feel, and killing off a an MC who is the personification of a Reifag, along with both of his Fatima waifus. Not to mention all the DEEP symbolism (though it is actually deep unlike some of Eva's Christian imagery).
>>
>>14522425
I feel like that has more to do with Eva than it does Anno. Anno is just a simple guy who likes his toku and military gadgets with a dose of nationalism.
>>
>>14521608
I'll never understand why Nagano fags want to deny his faggotry especially when Gothicmade turned out how it did. Unless you're saying that a prolific artist like him somehow couldn't get any talent to back it up andhe had to do everything himself.
>>
>>14522323
>Gothicmade being the exception as opposed to the norm,
And it looks like fucking garbage based on the trailers shown and the reception from people who's seen it
>>
>>14522547
The FSS movie had literally nothing to do with Nagano, plain and simple, including its distribution. Don't know why you would be complaining about a nonexistent problem.

>Unless you're saying that a prolific artist like him somehow couldn't get any talent

It's called money, dumbass. That doesn't come free, but it's what you need to actually hire people. And, no I have no idea how Gothicmade turn out because I have never seen it, and neither have you.
>>
>>14522555
>The FSS movie had literally nothing to do with Nagano,
He was involved in the production you fucking dumbass. Creators don't just give their works to people with no involvement whatsoever.
>It's called money
That's even worse. So you're saying investors didn't want anything to do with a manga series that's been running for 20 years at this point? Seriously look at the difference in cast between the movie and Goticmade
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=544
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=10099
So you're telling me that Nagano wanted to do everything himself and couldn't get enough funding despite his resume and not because he burned his bridges for years and nobody wanted to work with him? You truly are deluded.

>And, no I have no idea how Gothicmade turn out
Then you've been living under a fucking rock. Impressions have been out for years and they aren't good but given how far you have Nagano's dick up your ass you'll praise it anyways.
>>
>>14522581
>He was involved in the production you fucking dumbass.

He wasn't.

>Creators don't just give their works to people with no involvement whatsoever.

He didn't own FSS at the time, Kadokawa did, because they also owned Newtype magazine, which is where FSS was being published. The movie was made without his blessing.

>That's even worse. So you're saying investors didn't want anything to do with a manga series that's been running for 20 years at this point?

Gothicmade was never advertised as being FSS.

>So you're telling me that Nagano wanted to do everything himself and couldn't get enough funding

That's exactly what I'm telling you.

>resume

He has never been a director nor has he animated anything, what are you talking about?

>burned his bridges for years

With who?

>nobody wanted to work with him

Sauce?

>Impressions have been out for years and they aren't good

Sauce?

>Nagano's dick up your ass

You're the one being ass ravaged by him, not me. Take your asspain elsewhere.
>>
>>14522532
That's why I said 90s depressed Anno. Modern Anno should just stick to Godzilla.
>>
>>14522425
>Already did L-Gaim and we all know how that went. Tomino is also better at TV series than movies.

L-Gaim was fucking awesome though? Especially the Full Flat stuff.
>>
File: Gothicmade_World_Guide_147.jpg (223KB, 1200x1553px) Image search: [Google]
Gothicmade_World_Guide_147.jpg
223KB, 1200x1553px
>>14522581
The only reviews we've had are from someone not even familiar with Five Star Stories. Fucker didn't even recognize the characters that showed up at the end.
>>
>>14523666
It was the same guy who translated the Nagano "quote" about Turn A (with all the extra "FUCK SHITTY SHIT FUCK" thrown in to make it more colorful), Moonymous, so I would take his word with a massive grain of salt.
>>
>>14522323
fuck anno overrated hack
>>
>>14522425
>Lots of battle scenes (including Anno's favorite- tanks), a good amount of boardroom/strategic planning meetings, characters with twisted psychs and pasts, an overall melancholic feel, and killing off a an MC who is the personification of a Reifag, along with both of his Fatima waifus. Not to mention all the DEEP symbolism (though it is actually deep unlike some of Eva's Christian imagery).
so you want evangelion with nagano mecha fuck your shit taste
>>
File: Fatima.Est.full.390015.jpg (565KB, 1147x889px) Image search: [Google]
Fatima.Est.full.390015.jpg
565KB, 1147x889px
>>14518677
The movie had 2 big problems: it skipped the intro scene with the LED Mirage and Vatshu battle, as well as the end scene where Amaterasu shows Lachesis the Jagd Mirage's skeleton while talking about the nature of war. Both of those scenes were very important in providing the rather twisted context of the FSS universe.

The second and even bigger problem with the movie was the way the story was presented. For the most part, events that were portrayed in the movie were the same as the manga equivalent, but the tone and overall feel was off. The director tried to make it look like some kind of shoujo with an actual romance between Sopp and Lachesis, whereas the manga takes itself less seriously and focused more on the worldbuilding, and it was more Sopp saving Lachesis to help his old friend and marrying her for political reasons.

Finally, just my personal preference, but I hated the character designs in the movie, especially the Fatimas. Not because of their skinniness, but because the shape of their faces and overly detailed eyes brought them to a next level of uncanny valley. Nagano's original designs were simpler and less terrifying.
>>
>>14524291
I wonder how fucked up the GTM version of the Jagd Mirage will look.
>>
>>14524517
The original was pretty fucked up to begin with, but that was kind of the point.
>>
>>14524291
>The movie had 2 big problems: it skipped the intro scene with the LED Mirage and Vatshu battle, as well as the end scene where Amaterasu shows Lachesis the Jagd Mirage's skeleton while talking about the nature of war. Both of those scenes were very important in providing the rather twisted context of the FSS universe.

Probably had to do with time constants. The movie was only 60 minutes long.
>>
>>14522323
Well, at the very least, we never have to worry about FSS going the Berserk route with any future adaptations.
>>
>>14523611
L-Gaim had zero consistency and retarded characters. So much so that you can't even tell if its joking or not most of the time. Also, Gavlet Gablae is one of the worst characters Tomino has ever written, and that's saying something. No wonder both Tomino and Nagano were dissatisfied with it.
>>
How come no one has ever translated the books missing from the U.S release?

And for that matter, I noticed quite a few errors in the U.S translation too. Like a character's name would suddenly be written in phonetic Japanese instead of the proper name.
>>
>>14526739
You have awful taste.

>>14526847
Archive Scans posted a blog post about wanting to get someone to do them. The translator would have to be familiar with the series for the translations to be readable though.
>>
>>14526847
>How come no one has ever translated the books missing from the U.S release?

FSS is really hard to translate. You have to understand the universe and terminology to know how to decipher the dialogue, especially the technical terms. There was someone a few threads back who translated a single page of the newer volumes and gave up because the bizarre terminology and German acronyms threw him off.
>>
>>14525677
I know, but I'm just saying that as an adaptation, it did not live up to its full potential.
>>
>>14526739
I mean, FSS is basically the same way, except it jumps around a lot, so it's more difficult to get bored with it.
>>
>>14531852
FSS has a more interesting setting and more depth to its story, and for the most part is pretty tonally consistent. Jumping around the timeline makes the story more confusing, but it doesn't change the identity of the work. L-Gaim has no idea what it wants to be.
>>
File: 1447962499162.png (38KB, 302x300px) Image search: [Google]
1447962499162.png
38KB, 302x300px
>>14531873
>FSS has a more interesting setting and more depth to its story, and for the most part is pretty tonally consistent
>>
>>14532031
>Idiot response from an idiot who likes L-Gaim

P O T T E R Y
O
T
T
E
R
Y
>>
>>14532050
They're both shit.
>>
>>14532065
Only thing that's shit here is your taste, anon.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.