[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getter Rays: how do they work?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 9

File: 123212541.jpg (299KB, 800x1167px) Image search: [Google]
123212541.jpg
299KB, 800x1167px
What do you guys think of Getter Rays? How does it work? What does it do? Is it really that dangerous compared to say GN particles or Minovsky particles if they existed our world?

Also when's the next Getter Robo anime? Its like 18 years since the last one.
>>
File: 1468042695361.jpg (160KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
1468042695361.jpg
160KB, 1000x800px
>>14518412
They're fuckin' evil
>>
>>14518412
Any mecha franchise that doesn't print money like Gundam is dead anon.
>>
>>14518452
Don't say things like that!
>>
>>14518476
Case in point.
>>
>>14518483
RGZ was great though and S2 DID star Gett-chan.
>>
>>14518476
>girls
Get a load of this gayboy.
>>
>>14518541
>he doesn't want to be a cute 2D anthropomorphized Getter 1 loli with magical powers
What are you, some kind of faggot?
>>
>>14518412

There's nothing to be explained. It's an Deus ex-machina device Ishikawa found to accomodate his lazy writing,
>>
>>14518547
>needs to confirm faggotry
>is on /m/
>>
>>14518592
Its a plot device in Getter Robo no less then anything else in most other mecha, not sure why you are trying to hand wave it like that but its pretty dumb.
>>
>>14518599
This.
Compare to minovsky particles, GN particles, neutron jammers, etc. from Gundam.
>>
There will never

ever

EVER

be a real Getter anime adaptation
>>
Getter Rays work like Spiral Energy.
>>
>>14518698
You mean Spiral Energy works like Getter Rays, except on a lesser level.
>>
So okay, so is Getter Energy the source of all life via evolution? Or is it that it simply is some sort of cosmic power that empowers evolution in life to a higher state and level? If so why did it fuck over the Dinosaur Empire so badly for no reason?

Does it have a some sort of bias for human kind alone in the universe?
>>
>>14518698
Spiral Energy is a lot friendlier.
>>
>>14518698
Yeah if you neutered Getter Rays and made it less cosmic horror inducing, then sure. To a very small extent.
>>
>>14518745

Getter doesnt care, Humans being 'choses' is just the caprice of Getter.
also, IIRC There are other Getter races in the galaxy.
>>
Getter: Old Testament YHWH
Spiral: New Testament YHWH
>>
>>14518777
>It doesn't care
>That's why only humans are the race it will literally go back in time to protect
Nah mate.
>>
>>14518777
>There are other Getter races in the galaxy.
that was a one-shot written way after ishikawa's death
it also featured the main villain from kyomu senki so it's not really serious
>Getter doesnt care
we really don't know
>>
>>14518599

I never said anything otherwise.
>>
File: Getter Rays.jpg (186KB, 723x553px) Image search: [Google]
Getter Rays.jpg
186KB, 723x553px
>>14518412
IT JUST FUCKING WORKS
>>
File: that fucking spin.webm (1MB, 638x480px) Image search: [Google]
that fucking spin.webm
1MB, 638x480px
>>14518412
>What do you guys think of Getter Rays?
They're radioactive.
>How does it work?
It's an energy based lifeform.
>What does it do?
What they want.
>Is it really that dangerous compared to say GN particles or Minovsky particles if they existed our world?
It's a form of radiation that plots and manipulates people. It kills everything through overexposure. It fuses matter together. You decide.
>Also when's the next Getter Robo anime?
Never. Ken Ishikawa passed away.
>Its like 18 years since the last one.
12 years.

>>14518592
Are you on your lunch break, Mario?

>>14518745
>So okay, so is Getter Energy the source of all life via evolution?
Maybe.
>Or is it that it simply is some sort of cosmic power that empowers evolution in life to a higher state and level?
It's a form of radiation that alters biological creatures. Which is an actual thing in real life; cosmic radiation does actually mutate genes.
>If so why did it fuck over the Dinosaur Empire so badly for no reason?
Getter radiation was directly responsible for the huge climate change on Earth that wiped out the Dinosaur Empire. The dinosaurs wanted to alter Earth's climate back to what it was, but Getter energy did not want so many species to go extinct because of such a drastic change to Earth's climate.
>Does it have a some sort of bias for human kind alone in the universe?
It seems to have chosen humans, according to clone Musashi, but that's up for debate.

>>14518779
This is surprisingly accurate given how malicious Getter energy is compared to the kid friendly Spiral energy.

>>14518925
Getter energy has clearly defined attributes in the manga. In the animations, not so much.
>>
>>14518412

It depends on which Getter story wwe're talking about. Initially it's just a neat and convenient energy source for giant robot shenanigans. But as the story goes on, it starts to resemble the Ide, in that it is apparently conscious, actively plans and plots things as stated earlier, and plays favorites, and by "play favorite" I means decides who lives and who dies based on who it likes.

Like the Ide, its goal seems to be assimilation. Unlike the Ide, the Getter is far more direct in its methods: Instead of making its chosen group tear each other apart and collecting their being that way, the Getter has its chosen race go out and absorb whatever is in their path. Its method are very messy, and do cause some major character to become gibbering masses, Ryoma fears the Getter for a reason after all.
>>
>>14519022
>Initially it's just a neat and convenient energy source for giant robot shenanigans.
It was a form of radiation that was highly destructive and radioactive at first. At the end of Getter G, Brai wondered what Getter radiation truly was.
>and plays favorites, and by "play favorite" I means decides who lives and who dies based on who it likes.
I disagree. Getter energy directly states that all life must be preserved, but doesn't value individuals over the entire species. Getter energy doesn't really have a chosen group, it just has vessels since it lacks a physical body when not crammed inside of a robot.
>>
>>14519025
A collective alien species recongizing the threat Getter Emperor represented sent one of their own back in time to prevent Getter Emperor from retroactively existing. Getter wiped out that species in its own time from the future and went back in time to G to stop them.

It definitely does not give a shit about entire species if something goes against it.
>>
>>14518779
>>14518954
Spiral Power is Amoral, it is not an entity or something that human concepts like morality applies to. It doesn't decide or force its user down a certain path, its just a cosmic force without any sort of personification that is so powerful its overuse causes the universe to split apart at the seams.
>>
>>14518698
>>14518729
>>14518748
Getter and Spiral work nothing alike, save for the OVAs. Remember:
Getter Rays come from space and power plants. Getter Energy also has ulterior motives.
Spiral comes from the heart and is generated by sentient Spiral races.
Now if you've only seen the OVAs, I can understand this misconception. In New Getter and SvN, Getter channels through the hosts body, making it look like how when TTGL characters get hype and power up themselves.

That said, The Anti-Spiral was definitely worried about a Getter Emperor type situation.
>>
>>14519025
>Getter energy doesn't really have a chosen group, it just has vessels since it lacks a physical body when not crammed inside of a robot.
Getter literally killed the dinosaurs for no reason.
>>
File: Crazy shit 59.jpg (292KB, 1456x1192px) Image search: [Google]
Crazy shit 59.jpg
292KB, 1456x1192px
What the fuck did I just read

I just finished Getter Robo Go and I have no idea what's going on with that ending (it was fantastic but still weird as fuck)
>>
>>14518954
12 years since New Getter? Man, time fucking flies.
>>
>>14518698
Getter Rays were the spiral nemesis all along
>>
>>14519687
Shin Getter absorbed whatever dumb robot Gore's widow threw at it, then flew off to terraform mars for future human use, where it may or may not have been picked up by the filthy insect as a basis for Bug.
>>
>>14519744
>>14518700
Awesome posts dude
>>
>>14519626
It did not wipe out that species of alien. There's an entire planet of them in Arc.

>>14519665
Getter radiations rained down on Earth as it traveled from the center of the universe. The dinosaurs had to go underground, but they survived and eventually began to live alongside Getter based life forms.
>>
>>14519868
But in NGR, Getter Rays originate from a different universe and their effect on life is so violent and discriminatory that it wiped out other countless species in the main universe that the Heavenly Kings were going around attacking Satome's laborartory to prevent a repeat of that scenario.

>It did not wipe out that species of alien.
It damn well as tried as closely as possible, it wiped out their main homeworld after all.
>>
>>14519919
>But in NGR
Why are you suddenly talking about New Getter Robo? That's silly.

>it wiped out their main homeworld after all.
But it did not wipe out their species.
>>
>>14519932
>Why are you suddenly talking about New Getter Robo?
Getter Robo is a meta-series, anon.
>>
>>14519990

So? That has nothing to do with you suddenly switching your argument to something that has no relevance.
>>
>>14520004
I'm not switching arguments here, I'm pointing out the nature and characteristics of Getter Rays as a system and concept are wildly different in every medium of the series.
>>
>>14520015

But that has absolutely nothing to do with your previous arguments. This is insanity.
>>
>>14520048
It actually is completely in concert with my earlier post, anon. I never changed goal posts or made any sort of fallacy here, I brought up another series in the Getter Robo franchise illustrating the ambiguous and often horrific aspect of Getter Rays.

There is no insanity here.
>>
>>14520113
>It actually is completely in concert with my earlier post
It isn't. You're talking about a completely separate fiction that has no bearing on your previous subject (the manga series).
>>
>>14520249
>completely separate fiction
Its not, we're talking about Getter Rays in general here, not Getter Rays to a specific aspect of the Getter Robo meta-series, dude. If you want to lock the topic to its usage and how its defined in the anime vs the manga, that's fine with me but no distinction was made prior to that in the thread.
>>
>>14520325
We only discussed events pertaining to the manga series and you randomly started talking about New Getter Robo in relation to events of the manga, which has absolutely no bearing on the whether or not Getter wiped out aliens in the manga. Additionally, getter energy in new getter has no bearing on getter energy in the manga. You're being supremely retarded and it's sad.
>>
>>14520440
What do you mean "randomly"? I brought it up specifically because as I've said repeatedly before hand in the thread, the nature of how Getter Rays alternates depending on the story in question. Which is part of the tangent here, you are crying sour grapes and the personal insults are kind of pathetic.
>>
File: RYOMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
RYOMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>14518412
>>
>>14518436
Why do people find King Crimson's power hard to understand? It pulls time forward 10 seconds or so and only the user has memory of what happens. While not especially powerful by itself, when you put it in the context of "holy shit how did everything just jump around" and note that King Crimson is a punchy close-range stand, you end up with something very powerful: On-demand element of surprise.
>>
>>14521992
Because in the context of the series it is almost never treated the same way twice.
>>
>>14521992
Because for years the translations were fucking garbage.
>>
File: yat_rk01.jpg (110KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
yat_rk01.jpg
110KB, 480x640px
Getter Teams posting time? Getter Teams posting time.
>>
>>14519919
>NGR
Different continuity.

Getter rays functions differently in each continuity: what >>14519868 is talking about is the Getter Saga continuity.
>>
>>14518412
They're like radiation but not really.
>>
>>14522206
isn't light a type of radiation?
>>
>>14522208
Sorta. Except light doesn't rape evolution in the ass or punch out cosmic deities.
>>
File: cosmic_rays.png (59KB, 1314x446px) Image search: [Google]
cosmic_rays.png
59KB, 1314x446px
I should think that Getter Rays, like cosmic rays, are subatomic particles -- that would make the most sense, wouldn't it?

That being the case, it's my opinion that "Getterites" would be a better name than Getter "Rays." A bit more intuitive.
>>
>>14519025

> I disagree. Getter energy directly states that all life must be preserved, but doesn't value individuals over the entire species. Getter energy doesn't really have a chosen group, it just has vessels since it lacks a physical body when not crammed inside of a robot.

While it may say this, it's deeds are at best callous toward other life forms. The dinosaurs may have ultimately survived, but you can't say they didn't have legitimate grievances.

The Emperor is a bad end no matter how you spin it; it's greedy and destructive by its very nature, and goes around blowing up planet without much of an indication of why. The people absorbed by the Getter may well love it, but no one else is privy to that, and only see some HUGE army of seemingly invincible robots coming to eat their planet. The Emperor is so dangerous that it gives even the Getter's vessel pause. You don't have to go outside the manga continuity to come to the conclusion that the Getter's goals and methods are flawed at best.

If the ELS were considered to be in the wrong for absorbing people when that was literally their way of communication, why not the Getter, which does far more damage to everything it comes in contact with?
>>
>>14523599
Getter is like a force of nature, it's not a hero or villain.
>>
>>14523604

The things about forces of nature is that they don't have a will of their own. They don't act in accordance to self-interest, nor do they have any agendas.

The Getter has all of these.
>>
>>14523630
Getter's will is a natural extension of the universe, it's different from an individual's personality. Getter does not act in self-interest and it does not have an agenda. Getter is a natural phenomenon.
>>
>>14523724
>Getter's will is a natural extension of the universe.
I find that debatable at best. Both the anime and manga continuities show it as some sort of primal cosmic force that seems more like an anathema to the universe then anything else.

Didn't one of the manga side stories and even Ken's own manga (can't remember the specific but I know it wasn't GO iirc), show Getter Emperor continually consuming on life and matter till it would eventually destroy the universe simply by its sheer scale? That doesn't seem like a part of the natural order of reality.
>>
>>14527185
>I find that debatable at best
It's directly stated as such in the manga multiple times.
>>
>>14527194
Its stated, or claimed by a character?
>>
>>14527185
Well the universe is going to eventually succumb to entropy anyway. Emperor has enough power to set off big bangs which it acquired by consuming and growing. What if it's all just part of a natural process to create and destroy for all of eternity?
>>
>>14527199
Stated by Getter.

>>14527201
Exactly. Even if Emperor consumed the universe, it would probably just give birth to a new one. What the other guy doesn't seem to get is that Getter is a natural force of the universe and is part of the cycle of life and death.
>>
>>14527206
>Stated by Getter.
Color me biased but I wouldn't trust what the literal embodiment of anarchy has to say about itself.
>>
>>14527214
Well, it's been pretty obvious that you're trying to create your own head canon rather than looking at the actual story so I'm not surprised that you would deny information presented by the story.
>>
>>14527214
Unfortunately we can't ask Ishikawa what he thinks because he's no longer among the living but given his Buddhist leanings I have a hard time feeling like he wanted Getter to be outright evil, given how anyone who interacts with it and becomes part of it seems to reach total enlightenment. Of course you can then argue that they've just had their mind taken over by this seemingly omnipotent force and that probably isn't entirely wrong

Obviously we're supposed to be skeptical like Ryoma initially was and it's portrayed as a cosmic, eldritch terror but that also might just be commentary on nature itself. The sun gives us light and life, the sun is also an immensely powerful and horrifying nuclear reactor that's going to expand and die erasing, all life in the solar system with it.

The universe is cruel, Getter rays are just another part of the cycle of creation and destruction it would seem given the information we have to go on.

I really feel like it's left open for interpretation and unfortunately complicated by the fact that we'll never get an answer from the man writing it, though we probably never would have anyway.
>>
>>14527220
There is no headcanon here, just speculation and debate by everyone involved.

>>14527266
That's what I was saying like some other people in the thread, its more ambiguous or gray then black and white when dealing with the likes of Getter Emperor or Getter Rays in general here.

>I really feel like it's left open for interpretations and unfortunately complicated by the fact that we'll never get an answer from the man writing it
What if Nagai wanted to take over for where the late great Ken left off?
>>
>>14527310
>What if Nagai wanted to take over for where the late great Ken left off?

I really don't think he'd ever have any interest in doing that and I'm not sure he'd be the best fit anyway.

It's just going to be one of those things that will be left unanswered forever beyond different people's takes in future multiverse stories.

Although I'd love to see a full anime adaptation that goes through the entire saga and puts an ending on things but I'm not going to hold my breath on that one.
>>
>>14527310
>There is no headcanon here
o rly
>the literal embodiment of anarchy
>show it as some sort of primal cosmic force that seems more like an anathema to the universe
>act in accordance to self-interest
>Emperor is a bad end no matter how you spin it
>it's greedy
>plays favorites
>decides who lives and who dies based on who it likes
>>
>>14527380

Anon who posted >>14523599 here.

The stuff I wrote is based on what I read in the manga, and what I saw the Emperor do.

- I called it greedy since it devoured and absorbed planets, and is implied to do it regularly.
- I said it played favorites because of how it attached to humans in the manga, while other races it came in contact with had to deal with its nasty side.
- I said it decides who lives and who dies because of the sort of stuff it did to people that weren't its chosen vessel.
- I called the Emperor a bad end because the manga seems to regard it as being a dangerous thing. It may be able to pump out a Universe, but I've yet to see it actually do that. Instead, I've only seen it float around and eat planets while the alien populace hopelessly struggle against this invincible foe.

If I'm incorrect, feel free to set me right.
>>
>>14527456
- that has nothing to do with greed
- getter has killed plenty of humans
- literally every getter pilot besides Hayato and Sho have died so you cannot say that
- you cannot call anything an end when the story never ended in the first place and left out many major details that you don't know
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.