[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just finished Build Fighters and loved it. Should I give Try a watch?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 11

Just finished Build Fighters and loved it. Should I give Try a watch?
>>
File: no.jpg (185KB, 800x640px) Image search: [Google]
no.jpg
185KB, 800x640px
>>
File: 1444388674850.gif (929KB, 319x240px) Image search: [Google]
1444388674850.gif
929KB, 319x240px
>>14514522
>>
>>14514522
Yes, just be aware that it isn't as good
>>
You're not the boss of me now!
>>
OP here, just wondering what makes it so bad?
>>
>>14514576
Asspulls
Protag doesn't play by the rules
not muh
>>
>>14514576
Bad animation, bad action, awful characters, it has no sense of fun, barely references Gundam at all, it's just awful all around.
>>
>>14514576
Its boring.
>>
>>14514576
You know all the fun, the Gundam love, likable characters and overall atmosphere of the first season right. None of it makes it to Try.
>>
>>14514522
Just watch it and decide for yourself.

At least like 3 fights are decent. Tryon is with it at least.
>>
>>14514522
Try is gay, sort of due to the protagonist becoming a useless stereotypical "action shonen protagonist too dense to see a gaggle girls wanting his dick." He even fights with what I find to be a TRYhard martial arts MS (which, for how good G is, shouldn't have been the main character's MS as Gundam is more a giant robots with guns and laser swords show).

I just hate Sekai so goddamn much. Though TRY in general is written fairly badly (though there's a lot of asspulls and deus ex machina that a martial arts gundam pulls in general by its own super robot-esque nature).
>>
>>14514576
Pick your poison:
>>14514583
>>14514594
>>14514600

The only real answer:
>>14515187
>>
>>14514563
This. It's still entertaining, just in a more passionless, generic shonen kind of way.

>>14514600
That's IBO.
>>
>>14515224
>for how good G is, shouldn't have been the main character's MS as Gundam is more a giant robots with guns and laser swords show

Don't even go there. G as a whole had gimmicky fun shit and made the best out of its karate mocap. Sekai is basically reduced to spamming super moves like a kid playing Street Fighter for the first time and he just figured out how to do Ryu's inputs. I'm also using that analogy because Sekai's special attacks are all supremely uninspired, day 1 shitty fighting game ripoff stuff.
>>
Pros
>gunpla designs

cons
>poor writing
-too much telling and not showing
-haremshit
-deus ex
-generic anime cliches out the ass
-too many characters to develop at once
>3v3 battles are supposed to be the main focus of the show but they always take a back seat to a solo Sekai fight where his plot armor prevents him from losing
>Tatsuya doesn't even feel like a real character anymore, he had all this development in S1 and then he comes back as just a 1 dimensional "MEIJIN KAWAGUCH" character
>very forgettable

Don't get me wrong, season 1 has it's flaws as well but it was still really good but idk what went wrong with Try
>>
>>14514522
You should, if only to see how quickly and thoroughly a perfectly good thing can be ruined by the need to soullessly produce more content to sell. It is nowhere near as good as the original.

The world bends over backwards to accomodate the incredibly dull new cast, down to having the protagonist just find an incredibly powerful Sei supercustom and taking it for his own at the very first ep and important figures like the Meijin or Sei just talking up how much Sekai loves gunpla battle even though he essentially got into it because his school didn't have a karate club, a girl with tight spats asked him and he knows nothing about Gundam at all.

Everything is boxed into a bad take of generic punchy shonen complete with asspulls galore to make sure the right people get to the right fights, new rules, system limitations and abilities come up at just the right time to ensure the protags and final boss team move on and it's never ever subtle. The Build Knuckle spam and clear parts superpowers that dragged down the original's last few fights are taken to new extremes by making the MC only do that. Sure, he has more than one superpunch, but they're all equally dull. Haremshit is thrown at the densely karatesexual protag to achieve nothing as well.

Gone is the love for the franchise shown by the original and the many and sometimes clever little references and winks that were wholly justified fan pandering. What few characters still bring the same sense of love for the franchise and model building as a whole are just secondaries and bound to lose to the MCs. It's generally agreed, waifuism wars aside, that these side characters with similar gimmicks and/or stories as the protagonists are essentially superior versions of them with more endearing and entertaining character arcs.

It is just not a good show, and the original being as good as it was only makes it worse.
>>
Of course. Prepare yourself.
>>
>>14515497
This, all of this. Watch it just to see how a good show gets ruined by a soulless sequel.

And if it becomes unbearable, you can always drop it.
>>
You know you all should have seen Try being bad coming in the first place since Yƍsuke Kuroda wasn't the writer of Try.
>>
I've watched about two episodes now and I just find it majorly confusing.

Like Sekai looks a lot like Reiji but has nothing to do with him? And why are there separate clubs for building and battling?
>>
File: 1464892422211.gif (197KB, 462x326px) Image search: [Google]
1464892422211.gif
197KB, 462x326px
>>14514522
No...
>>
>Just finished eating an 18oz sirloin steak and loved it. Should I eat this huge pile of dog shit next?
Literally what you asked, OP.
>>
>>14514576
There are some designs that are cool, and the intro scene for the Tryon 3 is fucking great, but overall, it just lost a lot of what made BF good.

Give it a shot. It's still enjoyable enough, just doesn't reach any of the highs BF did.
>>
There was no more of this
>>
No more of this
>>
you bet your bottom dollar there wasn't any of this
>>
>>14521259
>Babby Farters
>a sirloin steak
>>
And all of this is right out the window
>>
>>14521586
Compared to Tryhards? Yes, yes it is.
>>
>>14521572
Soul
>>14521576
Humor
>>14521582
Character
>>14521589
Competency

All the things Try Lacks.
>>
>>14521214
Sekai's resemblance to Reiji is only there to keep you watching in hopes it'll be explained but they are in no way related. And the separate clubs are just the writers poor excuse to have some sort of conflict to have Yuuma have some "character development" and join the gunpla club
>>
>>14514522
Yes
>>
Did you finish BF and think to yourself, "man, I sure love how every fight ended in the Build Knuckle!"

If so, Try is the show for you. Only instead of Build Knuckle getting completely reanimated and used in different ways each time, you just get stock footage JIGEN HAOH RYUU over and over and over and fucking over.

Sekai uses more finishers than he throws regular punches. Even assuming the animators had the budget of a shoestring, that's just awful choreography.
>>
>>14515497
Build Knuckle being the finisher every time wasn't even a problem unless you really wanted it to be. Each fight the SBS had was noticeably different throughout, and though the Build Knuckle was always the final blow (because that's kinda the point of a finisher), it was different each time so it was at least interesting to see what they'd do next.

Meanwhile almost every single fucking fight the Build Burning has is the exact same.

>Sekai is in trouble!
>JIGEN HAOH RYUU
>Sekai wins!

I still can't believe he once won a fight because the fucking Try Burning took pity on him.
>>
>>14514576

They figured they had the kiddie audience hooked and stopped....er...trying.
>>
>>14522443

Ive lost count of how many times Ive said it but Build Knuckle at least had shit going on around it.

The fights weren't about LOOK HOW AWESOME AND COOL THE MCs ARE

It was about testing their resolve against Feleni

It was about connecting on a human level with Aila who was lost and confused

It was about saving the stadium and people from an out of control space crystal

It doesn't matter how many flashy attacks you throw out or how cool you win. Without a solid and emotional connection to the characters it's just lines moving.
>>
>>14522443
Don't forget the Denial Gendumb fight.

"I used all my techniques one after the other on him and they had no effect! I know! I'll use all my techniques on him one after another! YAY IT WORKED GO TEAM SEKAI!"

Or Mr. "I can't be beaten by Chicken How're You, oh wait I just got beaten by Chicken How're You." But I mean, at least he scored his waifu, so there's that, I guess...
>>
AUGH! And I just remembered that stupid fucking Team SR-8 fight.

"Fumina made them do teamwork!"

>all she did was make Sekai punch harder and Yuuma shoot further and they solved their own fights by doing what they were already doing.
That is the exact opposite of teamwork.
>>
>>14522573
The instant team work thing was something that bugged me, typically a show will have a "we gotta learn to be a team" episode, and we didn't get anything like that.
>>
>>14514522
Just play Gundam Breaker 3.
>>
>>14522573
And then she needed Lady Kawaguchi to tell her that "You know, Fumina, being a team leader doesn't mean turning into a bunch of add-on parts and letting them do the fighting". Not that Lady did anything else, mind you; she was just like an appendix of Tatsuya that sometimes acted on her own.
>>
>>14514522
>loved it
>GBF
Nice shit taste.
>>
>>14523222
please, tell us more about how Gundam is a serious show about the horrors of war and the toys are secondary
>>
>>14523438
Please kill yourself, baby.
>>
>>14522573
Honestly, incredibly unpopular opinion, but it's for this reason that I can't stand Minato either. Dude came into the show expecting to be some bigshot rival for Yuuma because he lost that one time, and only joined the competition to get back at Yuuma because the dullhard couldn't give a damn about him. He sold his gunpla without any hesitation or care about the work beyond the money it'd make, and begged his way into some random team and forced them to use only his partsformer suit that only gives him control after it combines.

People kept saying that Tryon 3 is the only saving grace of Try, but it seemed to me just as bad as Team Try at actual teamwork and came outta fuckin nowhere too late for Minato to say "this is my true heart of gunpla design" and not sound like a massive attentionwhore.
>>
Saga vs Yuuma is one of those things that really annoys me. It was definitely some other guy that was supposed to have beaten Yuuma in the past, but then they just threw away that storyline for some reason. Probably because it didn't have enough of jegan-how-are-you.
>>
>>14523557
It was awful how Adou went into the final fight with a wrist injury.

Literally a handicap Reiji had in the first show, it's like the Try Fighters really were the villains.
>>
>>14523540
>He sold his gunpla without any hesitation or care about the work beyond the money it'd make

The Mega Shiki? It was a commision piece. He's a pro modeler, he does commissions. Yuuma does too.

It was for a friend of his too.
>>
>>14514522
Just wait and see if the first show's OVA comes out eventually.
>>
>>14522800
The point Lady was making was that Winning was flawed in that alone its underpowered and can't handle its own gimmick. She was telling her to make her gunpla capable of being competent on its own before playing support.
>>
>>14521576
>There will never be a series of a young Takeshi that culminates n him winning that tournament.
>Also meeting a young Rinko and a cute shota Sei
>>
>>14523665
Takeshi never won a world tournament. He was runner up.
>>
just watch it for Minato

everything else is filler
>>
>>14523540
There was also no Minato seeking guidance from Maoh, who should have become the new master of the gunpla school.

Seriously, all those characters and the only real cameos was Chiina and Nils.
>>
>>14523669
I remembered as I was typing but forgot to edit. Either way it had to be a great battle and be about the love of gunpla rather than shoehorning asspull victories.
>>
>>14523679
>who should have become the new master of the gunpla school.

Why would Chinan be dead? We never got his actual age and its only been 7 years. With how gundam ages work he could be in his 50s.
>>
>>14523689
He could just retire. Just griping about lack of cameos is all.
>>
>>14514522
Remember how in BF towards the end every fight got settled with BUILD KNUCKLE? Every fight in Try is like that and there isn't a good supporting cast to save it.

I can't think of a single time sunrise has made a sequel better than the original, barring Zeta gundam
>>
>>14521304
>the intro scene for the Tryon 3 is fucking great
I never understood why people were shocked and confused by Tryon 3. There were other transforming mechs in the show. I always got the feel that the entire audience was there for an indoor soccer match and were confused by the people playing with toys.
>>
>>14524559
They were shocked at a degree of creativity that was a bit more than just "this existing unit but better". This is a world that revolves around Gundam of all things, after all.
>>
>>14524583
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twJTHpZnTSI
A few people think it's cool. Most are just kinda dumbstruck or think it's silly.
>>
>>14524559

Because everyone playing in the time of Try was a bunch of no fun edge lords
>>
>>14524393
I like how the writers said that that they weren't really satisfied with Build Knuckle being the solution to all problems for the build strike.

So instead they designed a martial arts oriented character and gundam so Build Knuckle would being the only solution would be more fitting, as if that was the right way to solve that problem.
>>
>>14514522
You could give it a TRY!~
>>
>>14525561

It's almost brilliant in it it's idiocy
>>
>>14525743
GN drives.
>>
>>14515465
>3vs3 supposedly a great catch
I was more than excited to see gm cardigan to fight as a support role, gives commands, map controling with teamwork
what I got is mere shit
>>
>>14514576
Try is what you thought Build Fighters was going to be.
>>
>>14522484
>It was about testing their resolve against Feleni
That 1-on-1 fight in Ep.15 was solid as fuck
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.