[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats /m/s opinion on battletech?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 179
Thread images: 47

File: BATTLETECH-06.jpg (581KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
BATTLETECH-06.jpg
581KB, 1920x1080px
Whats /m/s opinion on battletech?
>>
>>14502419
Shit.

>23-56 foot tall mechs
>Armed with like two primary weapons
>Of middling power
>Exposed cockpits perfect for sniper shots
>Shittiest starships in all sci-fi
>Shittiest lore in any major Western sci-fi franchise since 2005
>iLClan
>>
>>14502441

Well if you're calling out size, I imagine you're not opposed to the 65-feet tall machines that Gundam tries to pass off as feasible?
>>
>>14502419
Would be okay if not for its retarded "muh superior realistic western mecha" faggot fanbase.
>>
>>14502445
I think he's pointing out that they are massive but are practically BB guns.

>>14502419
A nostalgia driven franchise.
The new stuff is shitty, the old stuff is hopelessly old.
I've still enjoyed my fair share of the games and am looking forward to the Battletech Game, though.
>>
>>14502441
>Mobile suits are 70 feet tall
>Armed with 1 primary weapon, perhaps 2 or even 3 if its not a mook suit
>A Dire Wolf battlemech is armed with a Glaug in each arm and a 10 tube missile launcher on the side for kicks
>40.5 tons of armament, half the total mass of a Zaku

>>14502464
If weapons in battletech seem weak it not because they are aren't powerful, its because battlemech is absurdly tough for no good reason and takes up to 20% of a mechs total mass. If a Zaku took 12 ER medium lasers to the face there wouldnt be anything left of it
>>
>>14502441
>Misrepresenting battlemech fire power
>Ignoring the 20 years of world building and the vast majority of battletech lore so you can shit on Dark Age

Did the Star League era stop being a thing suddenly? The succession wars, Clan Invasion, FedCom Civil War?
>>
>>14502501
>If a Zaku took 12 ER medium lasers to the face there wouldnt be anything left of it

The joke here is nothing in Battletech can shoot 12 ERMLs and live to tell the tale about it, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6DF2qCd9TI
>>
File: shadowhawk.jpg (11KB, 198x300px) Image search: [Google]
shadowhawk.jpg
11KB, 198x300px
>>14502419
Old PC games were fun.
Fanbase is comprised mainly of insufferable willfully ignorant faggots.
Best designs come from old nip animu.
Shadowhawk is the best battlemech.
>>
File: vf-0s-reactivearmor.gif (168KB, 625x900px) Image search: [Google]
vf-0s-reactivearmor.gif
168KB, 625x900px
ふーん
>>
>>14502521
Technically thats 15 Clan ER Large laser which is more than twice the the fire power 12 ER Mediums and also ludicrous.

I reckon any battle mech with more than 13 tons of standard armor could survive a 60 point alpha from 12 MLs with good torso twisting. A completly front loaded 100 ton mech could survive all 60 points to the centre torso with 2 points of armor left over. Thats with standard armor, hardened armor can bump that figure up to 124. It could theoretically take a heavy capital ship class weapon to the chest and live.

Dont even get me started on super-heavy battlemechs
>>
File: Black Knight battlemech.png (283KB, 645x800px) Image search: [Google]
Black Knight battlemech.png
283KB, 645x800px
>>14502525
>Hating on my nigga the Black Kight
>>
>>14502521
Mechs dont actually explode like that in Battletech. That is a solely MWO exclusive mechanic, and has no bearing on battletech as a whole. In fact, the primary loadout of the Nova omnimech is 12 clan ER medium lasers which generate 60 heat, 36 of which it can sink in 1 turn which keeps it below the automatic shut down threshold of 30.
>>
File: destroid-tomahawk.gif (150KB, 575x800px) Image search: [Google]
destroid-tomahawk.gif
150KB, 575x800px
>>14502419
Eh not really my thing. I get what it goes for, it took a really cool design from my favourite nip cartoon and decided "hey lets make an universe based entirely on this kind of design." It just feels kinda drab and boring though. But I can appreciate the effort to make 'that' kind of robot into the main players.
>>
File: HBK-4P.png (453KB, 698x812px) Image search: [Google]
HBK-4P.png
453KB, 698x812px
>>14502419
seems ok to me.

& need more Hunchies.
>>
There is literally 30 years worth of world building and literature surrounding battletech, and i doubt even 10% of /m/ has more than a passing familiarity with it outside of the few mechwarrior game that they've played
>>
File: Aniki thinking like steave jobs.jpg (88KB, 576x768px) Image search: [Google]
Aniki thinking like steave jobs.jpg
88KB, 576x768px
/m/-/tg/ thread?

Where do I start in battletech, shadownrun, jovian chronicles and heavy gears?
They seem so massive.
>>
>>14502649
For Battletech, you want to start by buying the latest anniversary box set and gathering about 3-5 friends who are interested in playing. The box set come with everything you need to play, including maps, record sheets, a whole battalion of miniatures and even a painting guide. Likely the best value in tabletop gaming at the moment. After that the Tactical Op and Special Ops rules books will provide all of the rules you need to play battletech at the tournament and advanced rules level.

If you want to learn more about the setting, which is truly massive, you can start here
>http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Timeline
>>
>>14502678
>http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Timeline
>13 centuries of lore

jesus
>>
File: anywhere no arashi.jpg (69KB, 362x499px) Image search: [Google]
anywhere no arashi.jpg
69KB, 362x499px
I have loved BT since the early 90's
>>
>>14502419

Love it, still play the table top with my co-workers every few weeks or so and still have MW3-4 some where around here.

also

You will all bend the knee to clan Jade Falcon.
>>
>>14502419
I fucking hate it for popularizing certain ideas of mecha in the west which have never gone away whilst completely ruining several already good-to-decent franchises with what has to be some of the most ass backwards "lore" I've ever fucking heard of, horrible art, etc. I hate also how some of its fans tout the nearly hypocritical-sounding ass backwardsness of this story as "realistic".

I respect its age and the grognards who play or have played the tabletop. They have been around for decades.
I have no respect for those, however, who grew up on the vidya.

I am alone in this. Whatever.
>>
>>14502734
>I fucking hate it for popularizing certain ideas of mecha in the west which have never gone away
This is a case of people simply projecting, not Battletech's fault. It's got just as many fast and maneuverable mechs as it has plodding trashcans. Fuck, it has mechs that transform into jets and tanks too. People just ignore all that and claim it's all slow clunky shit because that's what they want to believe is right.
>>
>>14502464
I'm looking forward to the new game.
>>
>>14502734
>whilst completely ruining several already good-to-decent franchises with what has to be some of the most ass backwards "lore" I've ever fucking heard of

How does the lore of one franchise ruin another, completely disconnected franchise?
>>
>>14502734
>I fucking hate it for popularizing certain ideas of mecha in the west which have never gone away

Actually, you should blame Mechwarrior.
Battletech itself is normal with the mecha that are more than a brick on legs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzMeWxZvmwA

Meanwhile, the grognards call Battletech itself as "anime garbage".
The new Battletech fits their narrow-minded Mechwarrior-fueled views, though.
All the deigns have arms for show and consider using actual joints as cardinal sin.

Honestly, it's all pretty stupid.
>>
File: t10b.jpg (50KB, 302x400px) Image search: [Google]
t10b.jpg
50KB, 302x400px
>>14502972
Technically you're right in that it doesn't, but I'm still salty AF.

Take Dougram for example. Relatively grounded setting with a believable background of political discontent and a false-flag coup, exchanged for a setting in which some people sill live on tribal levels whilst operating mecha.

Also, the art part is killing me. Take for instance the Blockhead T10.
>>
File: 191px-Wolverine.jpg.png (32KB, 191x268px) Image search: [Google]
191px-Wolverine.jpg.png
32KB, 191x268px
And behold the Wolverine. How? Why? I can't say anything, but I prefer the Blockhead.
>>
File: supernova-fleck.jpg (193KB, 520x500px) Image search: [Google]
supernova-fleck.jpg
193KB, 520x500px
>>14502521
I remember in Mechwarrior 3 if you took the stock Supernova and fired all of its ER Large lasers at once, the sudden skyrocket of heat buildup would blow up instantaneously.
Left a sizable crater too, since the ground geometry in that game could get "damaged" like that.
>>
>>14502419
Murder every single annoying fanboy I've met over the years and I have no problem with it. Needs more Atlas punching shit.
>>
>>14502419
The lore triggers my autism. It's great.
>>
>>14502646
>/m/ knowing anything about anything outside Gundam

What did you expect?
>>
File: 364px-3025_Atlas1.jpg.png (411KB, 808x600px) Image search: [Google]
364px-3025_Atlas1.jpg.png
411KB, 808x600px
>>14503036
>>14503043
Ehh, the TRO art is bad by default.
Still, stuff like >pic related is the perfect eye opener to the whole "We bought these designs, honest!" business they've got going on with the old designs.

The franchise deserved all the shit it got.
>>
File: P1010290s.jpg (59KB, 314x469px) Image search: [Google]
P1010290s.jpg
59KB, 314x469px
Haven't played the TT for quite some time outside of MegaMek.
I still love reading technical readouts and the TechManual (I even have BT blueprints hanging on my wall like some mad scientist). So I guess I'm more in for the fluff these days than the actual game.
>>
I liked the old novels and MechWarrior games.

Nothing to come out of the franchise in recent years has interested me much.
>>
File: mechcommander.jpg (106KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
mechcommander.jpg
106KB, 1280x720px
>>14502419
I like the setting and enjoy some of the books and videogames set in it.
The overall mech design isn't my favorite, but there are a few designs I really like.
>>
>>14503083
They were licensed.
>>
>>14503051
yeah but in MW3, you just equip it with gauss or light gauss and snipe legs.
>>
>>14502710
You lucky sun of a gun
>>
>>14503036
>a setting in which some people sill live on tribal levels whilst operating mecha
Who does that?
>>
File: 1Thief2cover2.jpg (39KB, 400x395px) Image search: [Google]
1Thief2cover2.jpg
39KB, 400x395px
>>14503179
Yeah, and the Atlas traced itself. I agree my pic is not the greatest proof of their thievery but I can't find /tg/'s original ATM.

Plus, even Kawamori is still salty about the whole ordeal according to the interview with him posted on /m/ about a week ago.
>>
It's probably great and all, but all I know about it is chickenwalker and trashcans on legs.
>>
>>14502419
It's shit
>the only cool mechs were directly lifted from Macross and Dougram
Pathetic, but atleast they knew who to rip off.
>>
>>14502419

GAS THE CLANS

SUCCESSION WAR NOW
>>
>>14502419
Further proof that it should be illegal for Americans to own IPs or create things.
>>
File: Phoenix_hawk_iic.jpg (113KB, 900x776px) Image search: [Google]
Phoenix_hawk_iic.jpg
113KB, 900x776px
>>
>>14502419
Everything wrong with western mecha design.
>>
>>14503036
Tell me right now what the major plot of battletech is
>>
File: you got the touch.jpg (102KB, 561x720px) Image search: [Google]
you got the touch.jpg
102KB, 561x720px
>>14503051
Mechs dont actually blow up from overheating, thats just one of the many misconceptions the MW games creates about battletech, chief of which being the idea that battlemechs are "tanks with leg" that plod around the battlefield and not capable of pick related
The Mechwarrior games are probably the worst introduction into the franchise you can have aside from Mech Assault, but sadly its probably the only exposure the Battletech 90% of /m/ has had. Which really makes this the last place someone should be asking for an opinion on Battletech.
>>
I'm just waiting for the game to come out next year
>>
>>14504393
Once there was Space America, but it pissed off a dude's grandfather, so he destroyed it by making the Space US Army fite him after he conquered it from inside.
After that, the Space US Army left known space and all those Un-American nations fought over the remains for a few hundred years.

Eventually, the Space US Army which had become furries returned in order to find out who's the strongest.

The telephone company tried to fursect them and attacked everyone who wasn't on board with their agenda, so everybody united to kill them instead because their rates were insane. As a result of that, they have to now live with furries, safe for that new nation that was led by a phone company plant/Trump stand-in, because he built a wall in space that keeps the furries out of his nation.
>>
File: some people just wanna go fast.jpg (49KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
some people just wanna go fast.jpg
49KB, 300x400px
>>14502419
I unironically love the firemoth/dasher.

The lower half of it being L-gaim is also a plus in my book..
>>
>>14503198
Probably a sparcely populated planet that got nuclear apocalypsed during one of the early succession wars, thus knocking it back into the pre-industrial revolution. Since a battlemech can be mothballed for literally centuries its not hard to justify mad max styled tribes duking it out for a few decades in half functioning mechs left over from the succession wars.

In any case, anon is just being a cherry-picking asshole. Dumb shit like that has nothing to do with the setting as a whole and comes up only a few times in the 30 years of battletechs existence usually as minor fluff pieces in TROs and Era Reports, meant as nods to things outside the franchise, or as a joke like the Arbys riot.

Dont let that annon mislead you. Battletech is Game of Thrones in space with explosions and gaint robots
>>
>>14504439
Yeah, that about sums it up.
>>
>>14503043
The problem with Battletech art is that there is a significant number of entrenched and enfranchised BT fans who think that anything that isn't the 80's as fuck brick artwork is sacrilege.

I'm dead serious.

BT art can be pretty damn good in the right hands (I'll point to MWO with the expectation that someone will call MWO's aesthetic just as bad but from the opposite end of the spectrum) but it's held back for a lot of TRO releases so as to pander to a userbase who prefers it to something that doesn't look like a gigantic rectangle.

>>14504430
Crazy mech on mech action is cool and all but MW does have one leg up against BT (unless I skipped a page in TacOps or something that adds it into the game rules), and that's
>jump jets can be used to skate on the ground and do tactical donuts and not just jump in the air

Have you ever seen a Jenner turn on a dime before?

It's amazing. Truly mind-opening experience.

Now you get to go fast without having a gigantic turn radius.
>>
>>14502441
>Exposed cockpits perfect for sniper shots

The exposed cockpit hatches are made out of material that can take limited amounts of autocannon fire and explosive missile barrages. I don't thinkyour dinky little fifty caliber bullet's going to penetrate.
>>
>>14504564
I remember doing that in MW2. Making a Nova skate around and fly like a anime robot was great fun.
>>
>>14504564
There is also a significant number of fans who think the art sucks, the figurines are terrible, and just use pieces of paper to represent the mechs.
>>
>>14504489
Yeah I was actually trying to coyly call his bullshit to task but the fact that he couldn't even respond pretty much says it all.
>>
>>14504564
>>14504617
Battletech's real "problem" is that there are a significant number of fans who like the game one way, and a significant number of fans who like the game another way, and they're all perfectly acceptable and correct, but they just fling so much shit at each other constantly that it makes it highly unattractive to new blood.

Each side blames the other for ruining the game when in reality they're all fucking ruining the game by being super douchebags and they all refuse to accept this fact.
>>
>>14504697
The best battletech fans are the ones that accept Battletech is kind of flawed. The threads about bitching about the aging rule set were more fun than the mechwarrior wank. I won't deny mechwarrior is part of the franchise's longevity though.
>>
>>14502501
Mobile suits almost always have a primary ranged weapon, and a primary melee weapon. Everything else can be added onto it because there are no "heat" limitations, "tonnage" limitations, or hardpoints because they have fucking hands that can grab shit and fire weapons. Only the Archer has hands in Battletech and their main purpose is to pick up crates on raids.

>>14504592
You can easily snipe the cockpit with a Gauss Rifle in most Mechwarrior games. And Mechassault lets you hijack the mech.

>>14502510
I said worst lore since 2005 and I stand by it. Everything since 2005 has been crap. Jihad, Dark Age, the fucking Wars of Reaving, the ilClan nonsense. Shit.

Most Mech's effective firepower is limited because of heat. Unless you're running full ballistics, in which case it's ammo. You could Alpha Strike and be fucking useless for whatever time is left until your mech gets blown up by your opponents. And the Warships are even worse.
>>
File: zaku.jpg (38KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
zaku.jpg
38KB, 600x600px
I remember when people posted Battletech to "piss off the weeaboos"

To piss off the weebos with... what? Shoddy illustrations? Lax production ethics? Expensive porches? Terrible, shapeless blob miniatures? A complete inability to reform or reinvent itself? The yeastiest, groggiest fandom of all mecha? The worst-handled gaming franchise on this side of Sonic the Hedgehog? Throngs of furry players?

C'mon. It's okay to like BattleTech. I play it avidly. But you really shouldn't assume any form of superiority with that track record. You can't afford to be arrogant.
>>
>>14504878
>Only the Archer has hands in Battletech and their main purpose is to pick up crates on raids

You should just stop talking now because you obviously know jack shit about Battltech. You're even referencing the video games as canon depictions of how the universe works even worse you're referencing Mech Assault, the farthest from canon depiction of the Battletech universe there is. Its basically fan fiction.

Have you even played classic Battletech? Did you know that there are hand held weapon rules, did you know that there is no such thing as hardpoints in battletech, that there are torso mounted cockpits, a whole set of melee rules that include melee weapons and rewards mechs with hand actuators, which is why half of all existing battlemechs have at least 1 fist for the sole purpose of bitch slapping?

Why dont you actually learn something about the setting before you go spewing forth shit into the thread.
>>
>>14505023
I dunno why anyone wouldn't want to submerge themselves in the rules for BT.

There's so much crazy shit you can do with them.
>>
>>14502521
What? No, a Nova Prime can do that. Like that's it's entire loadout, 12 cERMLs.
>>
>>14505046
>Aerospace fighter gets shot down
>Its flaming wreck crashes into enemy command mech
>Enemy command mechs flaming wreck crashes into Warhammer
>Warhammer falls off cliff onto another mech killing both
>Aerospace fighter safely ejects into friendly space

"And that, sibkin, is how I earned my bloodname"
>>
>>14502688
The secret to BT is that it's not a giant robot wargame, it's a giant robot historical wargame.
>>
>>14505046
Do you want to have a giant robot boxing match on the deck of a ship in half gravity in the middle of a locust swarm? There's rules for that.
>>
>>14505046
How easy is it too adopt other robutt models into the BT ruleset?
>>
>>14505215
Pretty damn easy.
>>
>>14504884
Stale pasta
>>
>>14505215
It's doable, but you'll have to finagle a bit.

There's an entire rulebook dedicated to building custom battlemechs (read: giant robots in general), and if that's not enough to model what you're going for there's another rulebook dedicated to the ridiculous nonstandard rules (this is where hand-held weaponry is implemented, for example. Said rule also incorporates gun dropping due to getting shot in the mech-hand.).
>>
>>14504884
>The yeastiest, groggiest fandom of all mecha?
That line always cracks me up.
>>
>>14505290

Still gets a laugh out of me.

Took a while for me to get the "expensive porches" joke though
>>
File: Erinyes.jpg.png (96KB, 646x919px) Image search: [Google]
Erinyes.jpg.png
96KB, 646x919px
Protomechs.

That is all.
>>
>>14504878
>Only the Archer has hands in Battletech and their main purpose is to pick up crates on raids.
There are numerous mechs with hands in BT and a wide variety of melee weapons as well. You don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>14505535
Man, watching the old 90's Battletech cartoon, I've got a bit of a soft spot for the Axeman/Hatchetman design
>>
>>14502441
>exposed cockpit
Stop this meme

Why do you assume cockpit glass is actually "glass"? Mecha are always equipped with the latest in phlebotinium tech, high-powered lasers, 'luna' titanium, super powered actuators and mind-link control systems.

And yet the cockpits are always just "lol glass" to you people.

In a world where 60-foot tall bipedal fighting machines exist, clear armor is the least of your realism worries. In fact, the US army is closer than ever to achieving it (search "Spinel"). Materials scientists will probably have very effective clear armor within the century.

It's sensible and highly efficient. It cuts down on the amount of cameras and visual systems you need, which means less chance for a crippling breakdown. It can be repaired and replaced easily, too.

Who's to say that the sniper shot will have a better chance at the 'glass' anyway?

There is NO INTRINSIC LINK BETWEEN TRANSPARENCY and FRAGILITY

You only think there is, because everything you've handled that's clear has also been weak. Either too brittle like glass or too soft like acrylic.

But out of all the ridiculous mecha technologies, clear armor is hardly worth nitpicking.
>>
>>14505594
>Spinel
Oh, you mean 'Transparent Aluminum'? Thanks Gene Roddenberry.
>>
>>14505609
http://www.nrl.navy.mil/media/news-releases/2015/transparent-armor-from-nrl-spinel-could-also-ruggedize-your-smart-phone
>>
File: newturn_basedbattletech_1560753.jpg (50KB, 650x366px) Image search: [Google]
newturn_basedbattletech_1560753.jpg
50KB, 650x366px
Anyone else hype as fuck for the new turn-based strategy BT game?

http://battletechgame.com/
>>
>>14503203
If that's the interview I'm thinking of he was more talking about Harmony Gold than BT.
>>
>>14503198
>>14504686
I'll take the blame for hearsay posting but not for not responding, I have a closing shift job.

I'm too salty about Battletech's entire existence to say anything with any actual back to it. I hear stuff about it and every time I have come back from it feeling ruffled. I did hear that tribal thing at least twice, general discussion of stagnation, yet the continued production of robots, weird ritual behavior, and intentional use of gimped technology. It irks me too much for me not to be salty about it and put out some half-truths about it because I don't like it.
>>
>>14505786
>I did hear that tribal thing at least twice,
This isn't a thing. The worst you get is a "futuristic wild west" in the periphery.

>general discussion of stagnation,
That was a specific time period.

>yet the continued production of robots,
They didn't continue to produce robots during the time period of stagnation, they produced stuff later because all the lost technology was rediscovered and restored and a new tech renaissance happened.

>weird ritual behavior,
That's just the clans. No one likes them.

>and intentional use of gimped technology.
That's not a thing.
>>
>>14505798
I said half-truths didn't I? I don't understand it and I think it's bad because of that. I'm saying what I said is nearly complete BS or outright wrong.
>>
File: 651px-Atlas_III.jpg (79KB, 651x600px) Image search: [Google]
651px-Atlas_III.jpg
79KB, 651x600px
I would love to find a group to play with near me, but no one wants to take a break from 40k/Warmachine to give it a spin. And I didn't play in college because the local players were all old grognards who had that special air of elitism about them.

I like Battletech due to my childhood. The mechwarrior games, the technical manuals, the strategy game. Loved 'em all.

I don't really care about the unseen. I take the same view I do on it as Robotech. It sucks the company did a shitty thing, but at least they've been called out on it and I work to move past it. And I can both appreciate the source and the stolen assets as separate entities.

I wish the lore (at least the needed basics) was more streamlined and engaging, I think it would be easier to get people to try it. I'm also due to be hung by other certain fans for this; but I like the redesigns and even the MWO artwork more than anything in the stacks of technical readouts my friends and I pored over as kids.

....I know this is an anime board, but I like slower mecha. I don't mean crawling at 5km/hr, but I've never been a fan of the flips and jet packs and other garbage despite loving mecha anime. Probably has a lot to do with battletech, armored core, heavy gear, and 80's anime being my favorite parts of the genre.

...And melee does exist in the universe and it's fun to go all robot-jox.
>>
>>14505798
>That's not a thing.
then explain the MRM, hmmmmm?
>>
File: 1467185035086.png (96KB, 1287x623px) Image search: [Google]
1467185035086.png
96KB, 1287x623px
>>14505118
>>
>>14505884
>stolen assets
For fuck's sake why does /m/ believe this? They were licensed. FASA believed they legally licensed the designs, the people that sold them the licenses believed it was only images and that they even had the right to sell the licenses in the first place, and HG believed they owned everything because they're fucking retarded.

Everything was a legal clusterfuck of miscommunications and bad interpretations of copyright law. There was no "theft." At all.
>>
>>14505994
>Compared to other missile types, Medium Range Missiles are dead-fire missiles that are fired more like autocannons and lasers. The removal of guidance systems makes each missile more compact, reducing cost and allowing more missiles to be packed in comparison to SRM and LRM launchers of similar size and weight.
>>
>>14504564
>Have you ever seen a Jenner turn on a dime before?

Facing changes while jumping are free in TW, so I would assume that a lot of folks have seen that. It's true though that you can't just jump in place according to the basic rules.
>>
>>14505994
They are dirt fucking cheap which makes them a very appealing prospect to pirates, mercenaries, and the Draconis Combine.

MRM ammo costs 5000 CBills per ton, where as LRM and SRM ammo costs 30000 and 27000 CBills per ton. Thats millions of dollars saved a year on ammo costs alone for a battalion of Battlemechs. You could save up to buy a Vindicator with that money.
>>
Wow, one of the shit posters from this thread actually came by the battletech general on /tg/ just to explain how his dislike for battletech was irrational and and apologised for making /m/ look bad. What a day.
>>
File: btech1.jpg (159KB, 411x536px) Image search: [Google]
btech1.jpg
159KB, 411x536px
This might be considered heresy, but I really liked the designs they had for the Japanese version.
>>
File: bt_counters.jpg (100KB, 697x800px) Image search: [Google]
bt_counters.jpg
100KB, 697x800px
>>14506361

They're actually pretty cool, I use a few of them as cutout unit counters in my game.
>>
Battletech lore is like Gundam.

Stick with the original, ignore anything that comes out after.
>>
>>14505884
>I know this is an anime board, but I like slower mecha.

We've been through this at least twice in this thread already, anon...

>>14506123
The same people who traced a Scopedog to create Atlas?
Yeah, no. You'd have GMs running around in due time called some weird name had they not been put to justice.
>>
>>14506494
>tracing

oh boy here we gooooooo
>>
>>14506494
Literally nothing about the licensing fiasco has anything to do with your Atlas conspiracy theory.
>>
>>14506494

Because a Scopedog totally looks like an Atlas and vice versa.

Are you braindead?
>>
>>14506494
There are something like 500 mech designs in Battletech. Discounting the unseens, which was already explained, that makes a grand total of one that has a single piece of art that makes it look like a mecha from another anime.

Oh man, someone stop them before that total gets up to two!
>>
File: Weeaboo.jpg (52KB, 960x547px) Image search: [Google]
Weeaboo.jpg
52KB, 960x547px
>>14506494
>>
>>14506361
How would it have been if MWO decided to meet halfway with the Studio Nue designs and the typical designs + flyingdebris

OR

How would it have been if MWO just decided to get the Nue designs and/or tweak them?
>>
>>14506313
I'd like to think /tg/ would be savvy enough to understand the difference between shitposters, and and actual opinions.

They realize that a lot of this shit is just memes mixed in with ignorance, and a smattering real criticism right?
>>
>>14502577
Let's not forget the Hellstar. That thing packs four clan ERPPCs and can sink all the heat they generate, thus only gaining 1-2 heat/round due to movement.
>>
>>14507032
IIRC a couple of the Japanese designs got tweaked and became the canon designs for some of the unseens.
>>
>>14507061
Aren't there no unseen anymore because they all got redesigned?
>>
>>14507065
Technically yes, but it's an easy way to say "the original ones that got changed because they used to just be straight from various anime."
>>
>>14503203
Riddle me this,

If Kawamori was salty about Battletech then why did he do the art for the Japanese Battletech release?
>>
>>14505675
I'm pretty hype. PGI/MWO wasn't for me and I hope this turns out to be much better managed. I'm glad they got Alex Iglesias to lend his mech designs because I really like some of the facelifts he did.
I just wish his centurion had a little bit of neck articulation like the original had.
>>
>>14507052
You can probalby build that ERlas monster as a functional unit with radical heath sinks and coolant flush pods.
>>
>>14502419
It's a very solid game, albeit a bit slow by modern standards with a decent in game universe that's crippled by certain plot line decisions and corporate circumstances.
>>
>>14502649
Battletech, you buy the boxed set and work your way up from there.
Shadowrun isn't really /m/, in the most sense, but just look for a group near you who's running it.
Jovian Chronicles, buy the main book and cry because no one will want to play it.
Heavy Gear is getting a new starter set soon with plastics, so you might want to jump on that.
>>
>>14502710
Fuck off Sick Parrots.
>>
Flyingdebris makes me hard
>>
File: 1424207562488.jpg (168KB, 604x532px) Image search: [Google]
1424207562488.jpg
168KB, 604x532px
>>14502441
imma bout' to invade this nigga's homeplanet...
>>
File: boggart_by_flyingdebris-d4aqqa9.jpg (171KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
boggart_by_flyingdebris-d4aqqa9.jpg
171KB, 1280x1024px
>>14507851
Inorite?
>>
>>14505535
Am I the only one that's seeing a mechanized Jar Jar Binks there?
>>
>>14507081
Have you ever heard of a japanese hating his job and doing something about it besides working himself to dead anyway?
>>
>>14507081
I'm not sure salty is the right word for it.

>Around this time I also heard about how some of my Macross designs were used in BattleTech. It seems that the company that held the rights to use only the packaging design of the plastic model broadly misinterpreted that. As they thought that anything on the packaging could be used elsewhere. So a lot of different designs appeared to have been replicated. Naturally, I didn’t approve of any of it and only found out about it third hand. It’s not something I can talk about openly, as this possibly became a court case.

Granted he's probably going to sue, but it sounds more complicated than mere "salty"
>>
>>14509220
He's more upset that, in a time when anime franchises are getting more exposure in the west than they were previously, he's cockblocked by a few companies being dicks with their copyrights and not being able to share in that exposure. And while I don't doubt for a second that he could very easily reason with Catalyst Game Labs in a way that'll settle all matters once and for all, it's Gold Harmony that's holding onto their Robotech just enough to keep the rights to it like some sort of profane Lazarus.
>>
>>14509663
Yeah, in the interview he's much harsher on Robotech.
>>
>>14507491
With 15 cERLLs on a 100 ton mech the best I could do was 132, with a combination of RHSS, Coolant pods and 22 cDHS, but it still overheats by 50

You could make it work on a superheavy, say, 135~ tons, so you could probably do it with an Ares variant loadout
>>
I like it, I enjoyed MW2 and I have fun playing MWO with my friends.
I'm cautiously optimistic about the new Battletech game and I hope it will renew interest in the franchise and allow for a general refresh of the aesthetics and fluff surrounding it.
Give it a look and see if you can't try the table top. It's a franchise that deserves a chance.
>Terra will soon rest in the talons of the Falcon
>>
>>14512397
>Terra falling to the clans

We should have followed blakes light
>>
>>14502419
MechWarrior 2 was one of my first loves. I've come to prefer the more anime-esque depiction of Battlemechs that we see in the proper Battletech game and books over the MechWarrior approach these days (because why have hands if you can't punch with them?) but I don't hate MechWarrior like most of /m/ does. If they made a decent, not-freemium MechWarrior game today I'd buy it. Heck, if they re-released MechWarrior 2 with compatibility on modern systems I'd buy it again.
>>
>>14509669
He was almost exclusively talking about Harmony Gold and Robotech.
>>
>>14503198
Maybe during the pre-Fourth Succession War era on the periphery.
>>
>>14505046
I remember during a game of Battletech, one of my mechs had their arm blown off by an enemy mech. So I had that mech pick the arm up and go over to the offending robot and smash it's cockpit in with a single hit.

Good times.
>>
>>14505523
The redesigned ones are good.
>>
>>14505798
It is a thing here and there; think of it more like Wild West crossed with 900-1000AD Europe with the nobility being those who have battlemechs that work.
>>
>>14506494
Battlemechs aren't slow; even Assault and Heavies are running around at high speed.
>>
>>14512422
>(because why have hands if you can't punch with them?)

Canonically, hands were introduced on more mechs because pilots liked punching stuff. No AMBAC or anything, just straight up "We like this robot. It has robot-fists large enough to punch other robots, which is awesome."
>>
>>14509220
>salty
What the fuck?
>>
>>14512398
>Blake 2016
>>
>>14508079
I knew I wasn't the only one.
>>
>>14505594
>There is NO INTRINSIC LINK BETWEEN TRANSPARENCY and FRAGILITY
Bu there is an intrinsic link between the layers of material covering your pilot and their safety. Modern day armoured vehicles have VERY small viewports, and often they only exist as backups in case cameras and monitors are compromised. Why do you think that is?
>>
>>14506123
>>14506494
To add some detail (and it still won't fully cover or explain the mess):
It was at a time when the Japanese companies did not expect anime to take off in the West, so they just, sold to multiple customers, took their quick bucks, and thought little of it.

Also, it was at a time when you could write some absurd stuff into contracts and get away with it.

FASA did legally license the designs of multiple machines from Japanese shows. As time passed, so did the license for a number of things (Note that some of the smaller mechs looked like Labors from Patlabor), so they had to take them out or modify them to stand on their own. Or, in the case of the Destroid designs... I'll get to that.

Harmony Gold is the one who made out like a thief. They essentially own all the Macross designs and shows for North America on a license contract with no end date.

Battletech wants Destroid designs that they legally licensed? NOPE. IT CAME FROM MACROSS. OUR LICENSE HAS MORE POWER THAN THEIRS. WE SUE.

Hasbro wants to release a Jetfire toy? NOPE. IT LOOKS LIKE A VF-1. WE SUE.

(Here's an old one) ADV wants to release Macross dubbed and subbed in it's original form? OK. GIVE US BRIEFCASES FULL OF CASH. UPFRONT. WE DON'T CARE IF YOU HEAD TOWARD BANKRUPTCY BECAUSE OF IT.
>>
File: Jetfire-SkyfireModels.jpg (57KB, 538x401px) Image search: [Google]
Jetfire-SkyfireModels.jpg
57KB, 538x401px
>>14524633
Jetfire got redesigned by the time that G1 aired, and he was even renamed "Skyfire" in the cartoon. All subsequent "Jetfire" toys have used the "Skyfire" design, and they basically act like the original toy and comic design were never the VF-1.
>>
File: 0ER08QT.png (225KB, 673x658px) Image search: [Google]
0ER08QT.png
225KB, 673x658px
>>14524633
FASA technically didn't have the legal rights to the Destroid designs. According to Kawamori it was only supposed to be for the artwork, not the designs themselves.
>>
>>14519259
Was running a star of mechs and getting my ass handed to me. Then my Mad Cat II proceeded to make 4 headshots in a row.
That was the only game it was ever useful in. Also had a Scylla get one-shotted that game...
>>
>>14524650
Not necessarily true. The Classics mold took several major design cues from the VF-1, notably in the backpack and helmet designs, as well as the jet mode. No complaints ever came from Harmony Gold.
>>
>>14524686
The way that this is worded is deceptive and sounds like it's blaming FASA for Twentieth Century Imports' fuckup. TCI were the ones who only had the rights to the box art, but they either didn't understand the rights that they actually had or misrepresented themselves to FASA.. FASA thought that their license was legit and stopped using the art and designs when they learned otherwise. The whole affair made them so paranoid about copyright that they never licensed anything ever again, only in-house designs and artwork was allowed from then on.
>>
File: Battletech Highlander Burial.jpg (205KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Battletech Highlander Burial.jpg
205KB, 400x400px
>>
>>14524633
>>14524686
>>14525067
I think
>Everything was a legal clusterfuck of miscommunications and bad interpretations of copyright law.
Sums it up pretty nicely.
>>
>>
>Mexican mechs arrive with music and food.
>Special handmade tacos are dished out for 5 credits while elote is handed out for 2.
>Locals are treated to a live fire exercise using the Taco Bell as a target.
>>
>>14524633
>>14524686
>>14525067
>>14525197

From what I heard it was basically that FASA genuinelly really loved what was coming out of Japan and had every intention of properly paying the right people for the licenses so that they could use the designs in their game.

Then it turned out the people they paid were not the people who actually owned that shit and they got in trouble. It's not like they ever were trying to steal it.
>>
>>14525662
>It's not like they ever were trying to steal it.
That's the main point. Nothing was stolen, everything was above board. It's just the whole situation was a textbook example of why US IP law is completely and utterly fucked.
>>
>>14525197
>>Everything was a legal clusterfuck of miscommunications and bad interpretations of copyright law.
Reminder that the US didn't accept nonwhite people's IP rights until the beginning of the 1980s. Without that, it'd be an easy case: Ask whoever owns the IPs and slam those who haven't bought them from the owner.
>>
File: 3a85e14f79c39f1d.jpg (74KB, 703x800px) Image search: [Google]
3a85e14f79c39f1d.jpg
74KB, 703x800px
>>
>>14525646
errr the scale is totally wrong. atlas is way too tiny compared to that guy sitting on it's shoulder.
>>
>>14526064
Uh, they are only about 12 meters tall
>>
>>14526064
Scale in battletech isn't absolute. You'll notice how almost no mech is ever given an actual height, only their weights, and the video games just go with whatever suits the game.

You can try to extrapolate what the relative heights of various mechs are based on the size of things that ARE given numbers, and that puts most assault mechs anywhere in the range of 12m-16m tall.
>>
>>14526064
Must be a pocket atlas.
>>
File: The Alex scale.png (1MB, 5048x1248px) Image search: [Google]
The Alex scale.png
1MB, 5048x1248px
>>14526081
These are MWO designs, anon.
It's at 18m.

Funnily enough, the cockpits don't even work with these. The only humanly usable cockpit was Catapult's but now they scaled that down.

The designs are still the best ones around as far as Btech is concerned.
>>
>>14524633
Does Harmony actually MAKE ANY MONEY from Macross though?

It's a niché franchise in the West and they're cut of from ever getting any new shows.

When was the last time Harmony released any blurays?
>>
>>14526490
I don't think Harmony has ever released any Blu Rays.

They're obviously still selling Robotech stuff, though. The Palladium RPG is still going, Robotech Tactics launched in 2014, and they re-release the show on DVD every now and then. It's worth something and it costs practically nothing, so why would they give it up?
>>
>>14526490
They make their money in real-estate, the only cling on to their shaky claim on Macross for the sake of copyright trolling.

Literally the only reason they hold onto it is to sue people.
>>
File: destroid-cheyenneii.jpg (161KB, 900x665px) Image search: [Google]
destroid-cheyenneii.jpg
161KB, 900x665px
>>14526490
Well, there's always thirsty Battletech fans who back Robotech miniature Kickstarters.
>>
>>14502624
Fucking Swaybacks

>>14504697
>>14504866
Got it really right.

Still best mech is Urbanmech. Because Urbie is just pretty much their Acguy.

Derpy (but strangely adorable) mechs unite
>>
>>14526091
If I had to guess, they're changing the scale to the old 12ish meter one to make things like terrain height more in line with the actual game.
>>
>>14525646
>credits
C-BILLS MOTHERFUCKER
>>
>>14528353
Fuck your telephone company money.

Only space-pesos (spesos?) shall be used in del casa de la maquina.
>>
>>14528380
>Fuck your telephone company money.
[ROM INTERRUPT]
>>
File: SQUAWK.gif (2MB, 520x390px) Image search: [Google]
SQUAWK.gif
2MB, 520x390px
SQUAWK
>>
File: 5cb729d964b8884da46b4db940e3e2b2.jpg (873KB, 782x1150px) Image search: [Google]
5cb729d964b8884da46b4db940e3e2b2.jpg
873KB, 782x1150px
>>14530739
I kinda wonder if they still play it.
Had a massive drive but disappeared once it became evident the game wouldn't exactly have anything of what they were looking for/promised.
>>
>>14502694
wtf i love battletech now
>>
>>14528396
Did i hear someone calling for Blakes cleansing light? I could have sworn i heard someone calling for Blakes cleansing light
>>
>>14526083
Some mechs are given hard numbers for scale. I remember the hight of an Atlas being cited somewhere as 12.5 metes, or 41 feet.
>>
>>14519269
Well really battlemechs range from a theoretical maximum somewhere just over 700 KPH, to piddly 21 KPH. The fastest canon battlemech is the Fireball XF eXtra Fast which cruises at 240 KPH and tops out at 400 KPH. Thats faster than a formula 1 race car.
>>
somehow this BattlteTech thread has remained up om /m/ for a week
>>
>>14531396
It's about as consistent as the Warhammer 40k lore, anon. Or 40k's own mech scale, for that matter.
>>
>>14531425
the fastest i could make a mech go is a 702 kph 10 ton ultralight with MASC, super charger, and an XXL 260 engine. That is half the speed of sound
>>
File: ComGuard in action on Tukayyid.gif (2MB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
ComGuard in action on Tukayyid.gif
2MB, 600x480px
>>14531365
[BLAKIST NOISES]
>>
File: lyranstyleambush.png (82KB, 527x130px) Image search: [Google]
lyranstyleambush.png
82KB, 527x130px
>>14535994
wait shit that's the wrong image
>>
>>14507859
Batchall is banned now in the Clan Homeworlds. Only Trials of Reaving forevermore. It's part of why Battletech lore has degenerated into shit.
>>
>>14536171
m8 what? Batchall is still a thing, surat.
Thread posts: 179
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.