[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Legend of The Galactic Heroes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

Just a few more days till pic related is released. Are you looking forward to it ?
Is ut going to be a day one buy ?
How'd you like the first one ?
>>
>>14502379
I'll be getting the audio book version. So I'm not sure if that will be day one or not. I listen to a lot of books because I have a long (2h) commute both ways and the first one was pretty enjoyable.

I liked how in the book it got all the stuff with goldenbaum and the history of the empire out of the way right at the start rather than dumping it on us 3/4ths of the way through the series. I noticed the anime was actually very close to the book as I was listening it.
>>
>>14502379
I hated the first one. Seriously, the anime is like 100x better. The translation is just bad and stilted; the localization is basically nonexistent and it's totally literal. Dusty not being present is also a major minus.

That said, it was interesting how there were facets of characters that the anime didn't cover. Like how Freidrich had lost a lot of kids in infancy, or how Rubinsky was known as the Black Fox of Phezzan.

It's a botched translation, and the editor should be shot.
>>
>>14502424
>The translation is just bad and stilted; the localization is basically nonexistent and it's totally literal.
As a non-native english speaker I did not notice this, but see this to be common complaint.
>>
>>14502424
I'm almost sure the animation mentioned the fox of phezzan thing in an early episode, it's just not mentioned much because no character ever really has a reason to call him that in the dialogue
>>
>>14502424
>the first localization I see is always the best one

I'm reminded of people who defend the absolutely hilarious original translation of Final Fantasy Tactics.

Similar case with the original Symphony of the Night but then again WHAT IS A MAN is so quotable that people overlook all the garbage that comes out of Richter's mouth about stealing men's souls.
>>
>>14502424
If you're the kind of shitter who reads YA fiction, I can see this as a valid complaint, but as an English major it's literally the only LN I've read in English that wasn't complate dogshit.
>>
>>14504643
Have you read All You Need Is Kill, or Yukikaze?
>>
>>14504650
Something something something Yukikaze doesn't count it's a sci fi serial something something something.
>>
>>14502379
First day buy.
I liked the first one.
Cant wait to read the imperial civil war arc.
>>
>>14503173
>m reminded of people who defend the absolutely hilarious original translation of Final Fantasy Tactics.

That always felt like a bullshit excuse instead of bringing up the real reason: the psp version suffered from slowdown
>>
>>14504667
Oh for sure the slowdown is atrocious.

But I swear to god if I see
>Calculator
one more time
>>
>>14504650
I can't speak for the original Japanese but both of those felt incredibly amateur.
>>
>>14504713
Explain further.
>>
>>14504903
The use of language, specifically. They didn't feel like real books. LotGH is written exactly the way sci-fi is meant to be written; but if you told me All You Need Is Kill was written by JK Rowling I'd probably believe you based on the official translation.
>>
>>14504934
Anon that sounds incredibly nebulous.

"They didn't feel like real books," "exactly the way sci-fi is meant to be written," the only way I could comprehend what you're getting at is to assume that you hold science fiction to a certain register of formality within its prose, as if informal is synonymous with juvenile.
>>
What prevents the LoGH Anime form being licensed? too expensive? copyright issues?
>>
>>14504934
>They didn't feel like real books.

What the fuck does that even mean? Are you telling me Don Quixote reads the same as Foundation or Moby Dick?

>>14505232

It got licensed when the books did.
>>
>>14504643
>complate
How's that English degree going there?

Anyway, how does reading YA fiction give you a higher standard for good writing than getting an English degree?
>>
>>14503173
SoTN's dub is genuinely good I don't think you've actually played it
>>
>>14508617
The PSP dub was better.
>>
>>14504643
>but as an English major it's literally the only LN I've read in English that wasn't complate dogshit.
Most LNs are translated by Brazilians or Pinoys using google translate though
>>
>>14508714
Objectively wrong
>>
>>14508780
TO HELL WITH YOUR HERESY
>>
>>14503173
>overlook all the garbage that comes out of Richter's mouth about stealing men's souls.

Fuck you man that whole exchange was great.
>>
It's out!
>>
A taste
https://p.fuwafuwa.moe/hpxcxx.mp3
>>
>>14502379
I just got charged for it yesterday, can't wait. I actually thought it was for something else and called amazon to see if I'd accidentally purchased something or if someone had gotten hold of my account; I was pleasantly surprised, lol.
>>
>>14502379
Received it today, but I can't read it yet since I'm reading other books right now. I completely forgot this one.
>>
>>14502379
https://storybundle.com/japan

Thoughts? The first volume's in there.
>>
>>14520262
Genocidal Organ's in the pile too.
Highly recommend that book.
>>
File: logh106d.jpg (47KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
logh106d.jpg
47KB, 640x480px
Quick! post cute admirals/fleet admirals!
>>
File: muller10_02n.gif (33KB, 362x535px) Image search: [Google]
muller10_02n.gif
33KB, 362x535px
>>14522544
>>
File: Kessler Alcholol.jpg (15KB, 379x379px) Image search: [Google]
Kessler Alcholol.jpg
15KB, 379x379px
Anyone got Quite sober don't seem to have it saved.
>>
It finally came in today, I've started reading it. Pretty good so far; though there are occasionally translation mistakes IMO (there's one part where Julian calls Yang "Excellency" which is unfitting for the FPA), so far it seems a little better than the first one. I think Huddleston (the translator) is improving gradually!
>>
>>14504643
You should read Twelve kingdoms.

It's written for girls, who as a man I can admit are more intelligent.
>>
>>14503173
I saw LotGH with yellow fansubs.

I thought the show was never officially subbed?
>>
>>14502379

LoGH has been unavailable in English for decades, but given the poor quality of this new translation, it's hard to say whether that was truly a bad thing. Huddleston's prose is so slavishly devoted to Tanaka's original Japanese text that the path towards the meat of the book quickly becomes a slog. It's easy to lose interest long before the action picks up (no thanks to the unnecessary, lengthy prologue, absent in the anime), and it doesn't help that Tanaka's nearly 35-year-old plot has aged rather poorly; with its overwhelmingly male-dominated story and shallow female characters. It's really hard to find a place for this series amongst the west's more nuanced SF.
>>
>>14528713
As far as I know it hasn't yet.
>>
>>14528724
I honestly wonder if Publisher's Weekly knows they've become a meme/copypasta among LoGH fans.
>>
got a my copy three days ago and I am no native English speaker. Nevertheless I liked part 1, so I bought 2 and pre-ordered 3.

I hope Haikasoru can also translated 4 to 10, but I am curios why couldn't they translate UNBROKEN ARROW?

Why I did purchase the books? And don't shout, that Yukikaze and Good Luck, Yukikaze didn't get sold.

VIZ and therefore Haikasoru have negative record in never finishing their series. Gundam The Origin and Gundam 0079, both adaptations of First Gundam were never finished by them.

However UNBROKEN ARROW surely is not action without ends, but it is (as the Japanese say) the conclusion of the series. So what's keeping them on the ground?

If only action blasts are the ones they want to sell, than they are blind and ignorant to every customer.
>>
How the fuck did a bunch of slaves on a desolate planet create a dry ice ship, fuck off to another planet, create 80 spacecrafts and have the ability to create the FPA infrastructure
>>
>>14535782
Shut up and drink plenty of booze, everything will make more sense that way!
>>
>>14533006
The Yukikaze issue can be understood as a function of filling in a market opened by the OVA, for the two books that make up the content of the OVA.

Essentially, if you treat the OVA as an advert for SYY and GLY, you have an excuse to market them. This unfortunately leaves UA stuck with proving itself on its own and well apparently Haikasoru isn't sweating bullets over leaving things at the open ending Good Luck ends with.

It'll take either a decent sized movement in support of a UA translation, or that alleged Tom Cruise film adaptation to open up the market opportunities again. Just something to tilt the odds.
>>
>>14535782
The ship only had a layer of ice around it and when they found a place to settle they had a few hundred years to build the FPA.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.