[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Translation help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

File: atgfs05.jpg (415KB, 1418x2026px) Image search: [Google]
atgfs05.jpg
415KB, 1418x2026px
So, someone scanned this book for me, and now I'm trying to piece together what it actually says. I'm going at it in a totally ass-backwards way because I barely know any Japanese at all, and I can't get it to OCR reliably, so what I'm doing is I'm writing the kanji in by hand into Google Translate using a pen tablet. Which is an ass-backwards way of doing it, I'm sure, and it often takes several tries before the suggested kanji matches the one I'm trying to write, but it's fun and I'm learning quite a bit.

But.

Sometimes I manage to write in a sentence, all the characters appear to check out, and then I get a complete nonsense result out of it. This time it's the following sentence: (it's on pic related, in the right hand column, start of second paragraph)

構造の大きな特徴は、「軽い」という事に尽きる。

for which google gives the following:

Major feature of the structure is, comes down to the fact that "light".

I can't spot my mistake, and I don't think it's supposed to be "lightweight" given that the other examples given for 軽い are "minor" and "non-serious"...
>>
>>14448315
>構造の大きな特徴は、「軽い」という事に尽きる。

I don't see what the problem is? A major feature of its construction is that it is light.
As in light, nimble, agile. A nimble vessel.
>>
>>14448354

'doh.

I kept getting hung up on the quotes and the lack of alternatives in that direction. Thanks.
>>
>>14448382
Also, the rest of the paragraph talks about how it's a cost efficient design, that aims for the most output from an inexpensive design. So light matters there too
>>
>>14448400

Yeah, that part worked out pretty well. I'm on the next paragraph now, which talks about the Zentraedi and the Inspection Army (Kansatsu-gun).

It's pretty good writing practice, trying to write all this up by hand; slow as hell though.
>>
>>14448676
Shouldn't that be Supervision Army?
>>
Provisional translation of the first half of the text block:

Current (2065) mainstay of the frigate fleet.

Since the first ship was commissioned in 2029, the ship has become a best-seller and by 2045, a total of 9,000 hulls including variants had been built. It was designed as a successor to the Space Destroyer (t/n: Oberth-class) of the previous interstellar war. Due to its excellent basic design, the ship still doesn't need much in the way of upgrades.

The major feature of its structure is its lightness - this is common to all vessels below medium-size built after 2030, the main goal being to reduce the cost. Thorough investigation determined that this shape would yield the maximum effectiveness at the lowest cost.

The concept of the design is to not get hit by the enemy, but always be the one attacking. The Zentraedi Army, and presumably the larger part of the Supervision Army, has poor sensor capabilities, such as radar. In addition, this ship incorporates stealth (radar signature reduction) in its design, and in a Zentraedi radar scope the ship will generate at most the signature of a Battle Pod. By taking advantage of the mobility offered by its low mass and maneuvering randomly, the chance of being hit is lowered to a minimum.

Can someone check my translation?
>>
>>14448829
Maybe tomorrow if the thread is still up. It's Independence Day in the USA.
>>
>>14448948

It'll be July 5 in less than two hours where I am...

Almost done transcribing the rest of the text. On this page, there are another thirty-odd.
>>
>>14448988
10:17 AM here.
>>
>>14448829
Just skimmed, but seems alright.
>>
>>14448829
It looks accurate. Only the last paragraph seems to be a little off; it seems more to imply that the Zentraedi and Supervision Army fleets have poor sensor qualities because they tend to fight in large battles.

The class has been a bestseller since it was first commissioned in 2029 and by 2045 more than 9,000, including variants, had been built. It was designed as the successor to the space destroyer of Space War I, and thanks to its sound fundamental design it hasn't required many upgrades.

The design's main feature is it's "lightness." This is common in all vessels below medium-weight after 2030, with the goal of reducing costs. After much research, the design above was found to be the most cost-effective.

The concept behind the design is to avoid being hit by the enemy and always be on the attack. The Zentraedi Army, and by extension the Supervision Army, focus on large-scale combat operations and have comparitively poor radar and sensor capabilities. In addition, the class' design is based on stealth (radar cross-section reduction) principles, and on Zentraedi radar screens the ship will be about the size of a medium-sized mobile weapon (Battlepod). By taking advantage of the mobility offered by its low mass and maneuvering randomly, the chances of being hit are minimized.
>>
>>14449363

Ah thanks, there were issues with word order in the machine translation that I couldn't really wrap my head around.
>>
You know, once you translated this, you should forward it to the autist who runs macross mecha manual. I bet he would love it.
>>
>>14449402
It's not canon. MMM is based on those technical data files that get published every so often, the ones without scans because they cost like $100 and are meant to go into binders.
>>
Second part of it of the text:

On the other hand, even the basic enemy ships are very large, and as such the ship needs substantial firepower. As a result, most of the armament is fixed to allow the guns to be as large as possible. The ship has close air defense missiles to combat the threat of enemy battle pods, which are fully automated. This was originally considered sufficient defense during fleet actions where ships can support each other.

It should be noted that, although the commanding officer for these ships was originally a captain (t/n: O-3, equivalent to naval Lieutenant), the increased number of ships in the fleet has meant that currently the commanding officer is usually a lieutenant (t/n: O-2, equivalent to naval Lieutenant Junior Grade). Due to the increased automation of these ships this does not pose a problem.

Not sure about the first paragraph, the original is much wordier, the rest should be pretty straight forward though.

>>14449402

His translator already has the book, but since it's unofficial material it's not going to end up on M3 ever - they're actively trying to remove all the non-canon stuff and double check everything. Where you *might* end up seeing it is on Sketchley's Stats - his canon policy is to just color code anything that's unofficial, but he has stuff from the Master Files and the like so it's not nearly as strict as M3.

Translation is also posted for checking on a site frequented by both of them already.
>>
>>14449427

I think I've found torrents for about two thirds of the Macross Chronicle stuff, either on sadpanda or general torrent aggregators, so there have been *some* scans. Sadpanda in particular has quite a lot of the more difficult-to-get-in-hardcopy material sitting around, just search for "macross" with the non-h filter.
>>
File: atgfs06.jpg (408KB, 1418x2023px) Image search: [Google]
atgfs06.jpg
408KB, 1418x2023px
So, working on this page now, and I've gotten completely stuck on this one kanji that Google Translate won't recognize. It's in the seventh row of the text description, first actual kanji in the parenthesis, after the + sign. Anyone know what that is?
>>
>>14453048
I'm not unconvinced it's a slightly different way of writing 冷却装置, so cooling system.
>>
>>14453085

Thanks! And when I pasted that into Notepad, I got the right Kanji out of it. Gaaah. I think the problem is that the Kanji look different in different fonts, and I can sit there forever trying to write a kanji that's written in one font and not get the one I'm looking for as an option because the samples are a different font. I need to figure out how to switch what font Google translate uses...
>>
>>14448315

Have a link for the download of the book?
>>
>>14454269

Here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/o280ongu1i6cb67/atgfs.rar
>>
>>14455869

Thanks anon, this book is pretty interesting! Can't wait for your translation.
>>
>>14457295

Fair warning, it'll be slow as fuck, I spend about two hours a night just trying to write the Japanese text into a handwriting recognition software because OCR isn't working, and I'm still not done with the second page.

I do have translations for all the stat blocks except the ones for the Macross quarter, but that wasn't the *interesting* part of the book.

Oh, and I'm still looking for scans of the other two books...
>>
>>14457378

Are the other two books about Macross' ships too? Or are they about VFs, support craft ect?

What are the books called? All three of them.
>>
>>14457443

All three books deal with ships - the first one is double length, and deals with the ships of the human fleet in SDFM and DYRL, it has a different title from the others.

The Volume 1 that goes with the Volume 2 I'm working on deals with Zentraedi ships, and the various conversions thereof. I have somewhere a couple more of those fake plamo adverts from the back of the book, showing off some of the ships that are in the book.

Lemme just post a link to the publisher's site:

http://www.cwo.zaq.ne.jp/bface700/hakobutu_n_0.html
>>
File: ORGyK49.jpg (1MB, 2081x1456px) Image search: [Google]
ORGyK49.jpg
1MB, 2081x1456px
>>
File: oFS2Zt6.jpg (801KB, 1561x1096px) Image search: [Google]
oFS2Zt6.jpg
801KB, 1561x1096px
No idea where whoever posted these originally found them, they're not on the publisher's page for the books. I'm thinking there's supposed to be one more covering the double length book too.
>>
>>14457519

Correction, it seems like both of the two un-scanned books deal with human ships from Space War 1, the Zentraedi book doesn't appear to have been released yet.
>>
File: 46969244_p0.jpg (490KB, 1567x1096px) Image search: [Google]
46969244_p0.jpg
490KB, 1567x1096px
Found the source, the doujin group has a pixiv account where they post large scale covers.
>>
File: 44015994_p0.jpg (776KB, 1577x1091px) Image search: [Google]
44015994_p0.jpg
776KB, 1577x1091px
>>14457590

I couldn't find these when I was googling this crap the last time
>>
>>14448315
Take a class
>>
>>14457532
This looks like it could be fun. I'll be sure to order it.
>>
Been too busy tonight to do anything with this, and I'm kind of stuck on page two. Fucking hand cramps.
>>
Transcription done. Translation time. Man, this one is difficult, because the machine translation looks disjointed as hell... this translation is mainly me talking out of my ass and guessing what the author meant.

Derivative of the Northampton-class stealth frigate. This version is specialized in reconnaissance missions, and replaces much of its armament with reconnaissance equipment and computers for analyzing the sensor input.

Much of the energy from the ship's reaction furnace was originally channeled to the beam weapons and the energy conversion armor. However, this class is not equipped with beam weapons, and the energy is instead used to power the radars and the processing units (and their cooling systems). Also, the ship's energy conversion armor is kept at minimum power, to keep it from interfering with the phased arrays of the radar systems. Some of the sensor systems are installed inside the hull in places where the armor is thinner, to eliminate the need for separate radomes. The antennas and "wings" on the ship are communications or interception systems, which cover the entire spectrum including both normal and fold wave communications.

In addition, because of the reconnaissance mission, the fold drives have been enhanced, while improving the stealth and instantaneous fold speed. Due to the advanced fold drive systems, the ship can operate in regions where it can't easily communicate back to base due to fold faults, so the ship is also equipped to handle contact missions. However, since the development of the reconnaissance cruiser, this mission has been ceded to them instead.

These ships are mainly used for patrol activities in the outer periphery of a fleet, operating in the reconnaissance role as single ships or a very small squadron. Unable to participate in battle directly, they can still control whether the fleet even engages in combat.
>>
Working on transcribing third page...
>>
File: atgfs07.jpg (372KB, 1420x2030px) Image search: [Google]
atgfs07.jpg
372KB, 1420x2030px
Translation check please?

Image caption: This ship is "Frigate 230156", commissioned in the 2040s for the defense of planets settled by naturalized Zentraedi. Naturalized Zentraed tend to avoid giving their ships named derived from Earth, instead naming them in the curt Zentraedi military style.

Main text:

This is a variant of the Northampton class stealth frigate, which while differing in equipment fit and outward appearance is not fundamentally different from the parent design. The major features of the appearance other than the paint scheme is the exposed fold drive, which is typical of Zentraedi warships. Because of this it looks really "Zentraedi-ish".

The other change is mainly due to the preference of the Zentraedi crews to block rather than dodge, and thus more power has been routed to the energy conversion armor at the expense of firepower.

Due to this, the ships do not carry medium-sized induction convergent beam guns, and relies only on lighter guns. It also has slightly reduced acceleration and mobility. [I can't parse the next sentence, something about having structures and concepts similar to battle pods and heavy armor that gives it a different balance than the original Northampton]

Due to this emphasis on defense, the ships are not well regarded by non-Zentraedi crews. But many naturalized Zentraedi crews still complain about the lack of defensive strength. In the 2050s, in tandem with the introduction of the air defense variant, the design was updated with improved engines for additional acceleration and mobility, which also enhanced the energy conversion armor.

In addition there's also a "reconnaissance type" which due to suffering from similar problems, sees little service with non-Zentraedi fleets.
>>
>>14448315

Dunno if this matters but I managed to find the book for myself and got it before I saw this thread, it may mean better scans for you if they help at all.
>>
>>14475864

Better scans are always helpful! I have absolutely no photoshop skills so I can't even clean up the ones I have, forget typesetting or anything like that...
>>
>>14476324

Once they get delivered I'll give it a go, I'll post a test here and then the completed scans afterwards.
>>
>>14476752

You got more than the one book I'm working on? If so, that would be priceless to me... It's going to take me a month or so to get through this book though, so I'm in no hurry to get more material just yet, and when I'm done with this one I still have all of the Variable Fighter Master File books on my hard drive waiting for translations as well, since the other guys are only translating bits and pieces.
>>
>>14476871

So far I only found that one book, I saw the Zentradi one for pre-order.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.