[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Godzilla/Shin Godzilla Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 343
Thread images: 92

File: ShinGoji.jpg (331KB, 1024x1449px) Image search: [Google]
ShinGoji.jpg
331KB, 1024x1449px
inb4
>Godzilla isn't /m/

Anyone also scared about the overall way Toho is presenting Shin Godzilla and as a movie,along with how we literally know nothing about the film, other than the obvious subjects like:
>His appearance.
>Near guarantee of it being a Solo Film.
>This is the first time Godzilla has appeared in this universe.
>Special effects aren't finished.

Thoughts?
>>
>>14387413
The less I know the better. I want this movie to surprise me.

However it's going to do a poor job of it because they're not releasing it in the USA. And I'll know all the plot by then.
>>
>>14387438
I feel that Toho and Legendary are scared about the chance that releasing Shin Godzilla Stateside would effect the Brand and future of LP's Godzilla.
LP's Godzilla currently isn't in the best state.
>>
If that's all we know, what is there that's making you scared?
>>
>>14387413

I'm not a big Godzilla fan, but I dislike the design. I don't like the tiny arms, the derpy eyes, the all over the shop teeth that would fuck up his gums anytime he closed his mouth or the barbecue skin. There's some cool stuff there, but it's an unimpressive design on the whole.
>>
>>14387446
Yeah, Godzilla isn't really a brand that can have multiple iterations running at the same time with people swallowing it up and keeping it going. Even with a semi-successful Hollywood movie behind it, it's on shaky legs and has still got to prove itself. Mishandling a potential Western release of Resurgence could easily topple it over regardless of how the movie itself actually turns out.

On that note, yeah, I'm also fearful about how Toho's going about their stuff. This movie looks like it has a lot of things going for it, but also a lot going against it -- and some things, like the director himself, could belong to either category depending on who you ask.
>>
The new design looks weird as hell. I like it a lot. Looking forward to what becomes of it. I think the new movie will be really interesting, if nothing else.

I'm glad we're getting such a weird take on godzilla. The "first godzilla in this timeline" thing has me a bit worried but hopefully it won't turn into another godzilla 85. Becuase good lord that movie is piss.
>>
File: z0000901_3.jpg (192KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
z0000901_3.jpg
192KB, 600x600px
>>14387963
Since I saw Anno as the Director, it worried me.
Normally I like Anno and is "The Master" approach towards series he's worked on, but when it came to Godzilla/Toku, he's extremely passionate about it, being good and bad.

Either he'll:
>Make a traditional Godzilla movie, so by the book and played safe, that it will be completely boring and out of character for Anno.
>Make a Godzilla movie with the normal amount of "Anno" in it.
>Make something so completely out of touch of a normal Godzilla movie, that either people will love or hate it, Splitting the fanbase.

My theory(I hope is true, please God):
>We've only seen the very first part of the movie.
>There will be a big/huge twist somewhere towards the Middle Act.
>Since the effects aren't done, they can't show off anything Spectacular they have planned.
>The rest of the film is off it's rocker, but still stays in range of being a Godzilla movie.

>>14388028
Jeez golly, Be careful my friend, the amount of people(TK) who would crucify you for dissing 84.
>>
File: rolly.jpg (316KB, 775x1024px) Image search: [Google]
rolly.jpg
316KB, 775x1024px
>>14387413
tfw the largest hurdle to releasing this stateside is potential litigation over the subtitle "Resurgence"
>>
>>14388055
They wouldn't have copyrighted that for the English title in the first place if they couldn't use it. It's just called Shin Gojira in Japan.
>>
>>14388043
What worry me the most is that it's not only the Godzilla brand or Anno's chances of making it on the live action business on risk but the entire tokusatsu genre. As much as /m/ want to deny it, tokusatsu has gone through a serious decline during the past years and kaijus lost their mainstream appeal to cater only to nostalgic manchildren. Now Toho want to revamp Godzilla and they obviously brought Anno because they want to inject new blood into the franchise but a lot of things can go wrong. At this point, more important than a critical success is an economical success. Hiring Anno will pay off? The rebuild made so much money for brand recognition
>>
New trailer when?
>>
>>14388380
The movie opens on July 29 so I doubt there will be a new trailer. Apparently the production was a nightmare for everyone involved
>>
File: how do budgets work.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
how do budgets work.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>14388415
Wait, do you mean to tell me that Anno doesn't know how to manage the time and money of his projects? Impossible. No one would have guessed.
>>
I actually hope it flops.
>>
>>14388435
Fuck you. This is bigger than your hate boner for Eva or not liking the new design. See >>14388354
>>
>>14388472
Nah, fuck you. If the concept sucks, if it can't renew itself or surpass previous works, it deserves to die. It should die.

Hideaki Anno is the #1 nostalgic manchild in Japan. All he's ever done shows that, and he's had some success of course - credit where credit is due.

But Hideaki Anno is pretty much a "meme" director, if that makes sense. Just look at how people in this thread uniroincally refer to him as "the master". His works in the past decades blow, the design and trailer for the new movie looks like garbage and doesn't instill any confidence in any renewal whatsoever.

I also don't get why you believe Rebuild is such a big success - it's smaller than virtually all of the franchises in the same weight class as Evangelion, and the last movie made less than the previous. Something like Frozen outsells all of the Rebuild movies combined in Japan alone.

A goddamned 3D Disney movie, in Japan.

Rest assured though, I'm sure the Godzilla movie will be well above average in terms of revenue since it'll bring in the pretentious and unintelligent Anno-fandom. I only wonder if they'll accept that people in suits aren't their deal, or they will start telling you about how it's a "deconstruction of the tokusatsu genre".

Think about it, is that a box you really want opened? Because hypothetically, you're in for a huge influx of morons who haven't watched a single tokusatsu production in their entire life save for an episode or two of Power Rangers who are about to tell you how the New Godzilla(tm) completely revolutionized the genre. How every Godzilla before it was "childish, dumb tripe" and that New Godzilla(tm) is an insightful, intelligent critique of the genre that criticizes the dumb otaku who like Godzilla.

What's that, you didn't like the New Godzilla? Maybe it's too deep for you.
>>
>>14388544
>A goddamned 3D Disney movie, in Japan
Japan isn't a bunch of waps
they love Disney movies
>>
>>14388550
Not this much - it's unprecedented.
>>
>>14388043
Any source on the production problems ?

So far I've only read this here
>>
>>14388544
>Think about it, is that a box you really want opened? Because hypothetically, you're in for a huge influx of morons who haven't watched a single tokusatsu production in their entire life save for an episode or two of Power Rangers who are about to tell you how the New Godzilla(tm) completely revolutionized the genre. How every Godzilla before it was "childish, dumb tripe" and that New Godzilla(tm) is an insightful, intelligent critique of the genre that criticizes the dumb otaku who like Godzilla.
This is exactly what happened after 2014, so it'll pretty much be status quo.
>>
>>14388591
>he thinks it has already begun
oh sweet, sweet summer childe
>>
File: h3DcUjW.jpg (163KB, 780x770px) Image search: [Google]
h3DcUjW.jpg
163KB, 780x770px
>>14388544
>Nah, fuck you. If the concept sucks, if it can't renew itself or surpass previous works, it deserves to die. It should die

Dear TK, please take your 12yos back, thanks.
>>
>>14388604
Sorry, I don't do that kind of autism. Not really the /m/ kind either.

This is just my take on it, you're free to ignore it.
>>
>>14388613
Then you're free to shut up too
>>
>>14388544
Ow, the edge.
>>
So what will Toho Kingdom's reaction be?
>>
>>14389299
New rules in their fantasy matches which are already police state insanity, possible persecution of anyone against the unpopular opinions, toy wars, flame wars that blow up from nothing, the elites trying to place it on their unwritten tier, etc
>>
>>14389318
Supposed unwashed masses and unmentionables are always a problem for them, aren't they?
>>
>>14389331
Until they want to commit suicide after years of being harassed, then they try covering up for a while. You know, making fun of a depressed guy for six years or so is pretty low, the least they could have done is apologize.
>>
>>14389343
TK apologizing for something? Nah, they'll just make stutter-mentaries about throwing the troll card without evidence! No, wait, that already happened (and in ten parts, geez that place can be vicious).
>>
I just wish Toho Kingdom would get rid of half of its fan fiction rules, half of the ones listed screams flexible bureaucratic nonsense designed to frame people they don't like.
>>
At least Kaiju Hakaba is gone, is Kaiju Galaxy dead or deader than Kaiju Phile?
>>
TK needs to get rid of their fantasy match rules not made by the owner, they are either useless or total killjoys.
>>
Anyone want to share kaiju fandom horror stories? And by stories I mean stories, not the time Yaburu banned a guy for having sexual feelings for Pikachu or the like.
>>
>>14389438
Better question, who from TK browses this place?
>>
I miss old TK, it used to be fun, now it imitates 1984 and Animal Farm.
>>
Holy shit, are we being raided?
>>
>>14389677
No raid, just mumblings about TK.
>>
TK forums can be divided into several eras:

-2003-2006 = the calm era
-2007-2010 = reign of admins era
-2011-2014 = reign of mods era
-2015- = hack and leak era
>>
>>14389732
>assuming the reign of mods is different than reign of admins
>assuming reign of mods even ended
>>
>>14389739
2016 onward can be seen as the epiphany of TK having serious authoritarian issues.
>>
>>14389747
considering how easy it is to cover up a ten year member wanting to die from chronic harassment and the general apathetic reaction? TK's got worse issues than authoritarianism, they need to be more sympathetic in general.
>>
/m/ I can't stop talking about TK, it's left damage to my mind, aside from death how do I get rid of it?
>>
>>14389720
It's just as annoying as everyone says they are.
>>
The new Godzilla looks ugly as fuck.
But it's the good ugly
>>
File: 1465273251598.gif (202KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1465273251598.gif
202KB, 400x400px
>>14388544
> I also don't get why you believe Rebuild is such a big success - it's smaller than virtually all of the franchises in the same weight class as Evangelion, and the last movie made less than the previous.

Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone: $18,759,980
Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance: $41,028,401
Evangelion: 3.0:You Can (Not) Redo: $60,487,945

>Something like Frozen outsells all of the Rebuild movies combined in Japan alone.

Studio Ghibli and Disney dominate Japanese box office. They are juggernauts. Especially Frozen. One of Disney's most profitable films ever and the Japanese love Disney. Pulling in something in the neighborhood of $100 million or more isn't out of the ordinary. Not exactly a fair comparison. Besides the aforementioned properties and other foreign films, not too many films make more than $50 million at Japanese box office. Majority only make half of that. Rebuild of Evangelion has been growing more profitable with each installment. It's an even bigger success when you take merchandise into account.

On another note, more news about the script of Godzilla Resurgence. And yet again, the word is that it's disappointing. Jim Ballard of Scifi-Japan claims to have read the script and said it was full of dull characters and confused political commentary. And too conventional. Though he did speculate that said problems might be the focus of the rumored reshoots. According to both he and Robert Scott Field, promotion for the film has been pretty light. These comments can be found on TK. Of course this is to be taken with a grain of salt. But with this latest news/rumors, the lack of information about the film, and Shinji Higuchi's own admission that things are behind, it doesn't exactly paint an inspiring picture. Regardless of whether some of this proves to ultimately be true or false, it's best to keep expectations for Godzilla Resurgence in check. Or any movie for that matter.
>>
File: 2je78lg.png (419KB, 595x656px) Image search: [Google]
2je78lg.png
419KB, 595x656px
>>14391851
I love how most the TK members ate him alive for the post(s), and an Admin had to come out to say "This guy is legit.".

I've had low expectations for Shin Godzilla since we figured it would be a solo movie and nothing against 1954 or 84, but Godzilla is best with fighting other monsters.
Since with is a team up of Higuchi and Anno, it would be a waste of a movie and potential for there not to be a fight between Godzilla and another monster.
>>
File: 34466797000.jpg (95KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
34466797000.jpg
95KB, 500x667px
>>14392033
> I've had low expectations for Shin Godzilla since we figured it would be a solo movie

Has this been confirmed? Most evidence points toward it being a solo flick, though has there been official word on this being the case? If not, we still have the slightest sliver of hope that is Kaiju A and Kaiju B on the merchandise listing.

While the original film and its American edit is my favorite Godzilla film, I don't think a solo film is the best direction at the moment. First and foremost, it'll likely be viewed as a step backwards after G14. Secondly, it really is a mistake if Toho put Anno on a tight leash and didn't allow him to exercise his creative abilities. We know what Anno can do uninhibited and we know Toho is no stranger to bad decision making or meddling with good thing (see Shūsuke Kaneko). Early on in this project, Anno and Higuchi made comments about reinvigorating the kaiju genre. I really hope Toho didn't get cold feet and decide to go the safe route. It would really be a waste. But they can still wow us. Guess we'll find out in a little over a month.
>>
File: SadCat.png (293KB, 448x478px) Image search: [Google]
SadCat.png
293KB, 448x478px
>>14392191
>"Has this been confirmed? Most evidence points toward it being a solo flick, though has there been official word on this being the case? If not, we still have the slightest sliver of hope that is Kaiju A and Kaiju B on the merchandise listing. "

At this point I cant see Kaiju A/B being anything other than the known Vinyls we already have on Hlj/AmiAmi/1999/etc.
I hope I'm wrong and they turn out to be a new monster(s)/or Forms.

>"While the original film and its American edit is my favorite Godzilla film, I don't think a solo film is the best direction at the moment. First and foremost, it'll likely be viewed as a step backwards after G14. Secondly, it really is a mistake if Toho put Anno on a tight leash and didn't allow him to exercise his creative abilities. We know what Anno can do uninhibited and we know Toho is no stranger to bad decision making or meddling with good thing (see Shūsuke Kaneko). Early on in this project, Anno and Higuchi made comments about reinvigorating the kaiju genre. I really hope Toho didn't get cold feet and decide to go the safe route. It would really be a waste. But they can still wow us. Guess we'll find out in a little over a month."

Anno was already depressed when they asked him about directing, so either he put himself on a leash and played it Straight Edge in fear of fucking up or Toho doing what they do best.
I just want something new that we haven't seen in previous Godzilla films, something that will either blow fans away because "THAT JUST HAPPENED!" or of a surprise.

Examples like:
>Since it's Godzilla first appearance in the Universe, maybe Godzilla is actual a US Experiment that got loose. Explaining why the US gets involved.
>There actually being two Godzillas in the film, and both brawl in the city or ocean over Territory.
>A Monster invisible/"Chameleon" monster is sneaking through Japan and Godzilla is being lured towards it(G14 style).
>>
If these rumors are true, then tokusatsu is dead. Resurgance was the last chance to have relevance outside the niche of Showa manchildren
>>
File: 5478474972.jpg (84KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
5478474972.jpg
84KB, 600x600px
>>14392284
> I just want something new that we haven't seen in previous Godzilla films, something that will either blow fans away because "THAT JUST HAPPENED!" or of a surprise.

Agreed. To an extent at least. I do want something new. The franchise is pretty flexible and we've already seen a number of different interpretations over the years. But I don't anything too far out there, like something disrespectful or completely alien. Since Anno has a unique style and a strong passion for the franchise, he seems like the perfect choice to bring new material to the table. Even if he decided to be lazy and rely entirely on Evangelion influences, it would still be something new to Godzilla and it'd attract new viewers.

I'll remain cautiously optimistic. If nothing else, we've already seen more effort put into this than a good number of the last several entries and there are some rather talented individuals behind the scenes.

> Anno was already depressed when they asked him about directing

I thought he had recovered by time he accepted this project.

>>14392398

Dead for the next ten or twenty years? Probably so.
Dead forever? I doubt it.
But abandoning practical effects was particularly disconcerting. Resurgence would have been the perfect opportunity to prove their worth in the modern world. Higuchi and Anno were the men to do it. Gamera 3 and God Warrior were strong foundations. They just needed a bigger budget and more time.
>>
>>14392419
Nips are human elves but they aren't immortal and the Showa manchildren have a very unhealthy way of life. Without new fans, the franchise will die for real. It won't be the same on Hollywood, they're taking Godzilla and PR for fear of new ideas but it won't last forever, either for finally creating new ideas or the current system collapsing. Besides, tokusatsu is a very Japanese thing but it seems Japan doesn't care anymore. Rider and sentai lose audience every year and Ultraman is crying
>>
File: Clownrush.gif (2MB, 441x243px) Image search: [Google]
Clownrush.gif
2MB, 441x243px
>>14392419
Anno was one of the reasons I was excited for the project at first, knowing his unique style and love for the use of Christianity in imagery, I thought this would be a wild ride, and would take Godzilla to places we have not seen.
A While later we get a trailer and a TV Spot and it's "The Adventures of Burger-Goji, and his static pose adventures".

The movie seems grounded in the way that it's to grounded in reality, and that it's focusing on making "Godzilla Scary" and this is the "True Godzilla". They seem to have forgot that most people who watch Godzilla don't give a shit.
I watch a Godzilla movie for the monster battles, flashy effects, and destruction. I just want Godzilla fighting King Ghidorah and if the Human's are likable and story is cool, then it's a plus. Aside from 1954, Godzilla has never been about storytelling, nor anything compelling that would be on the level of "Citizen Kane" in terms of it's narrative, characters, message, it's a fucking Dinosaur that breaths fire and fights monsters.

So any attempt at saying that this is "The True Godzilla" and that "This is the scariest Godzilla ever", is fucking bullshit. Anno/Toho and Higuchi can try and best 1954 all they want, but at the end of the day they're just wasting their time, a movie slot, and most importantly, Opportunity.

>>14392398
and people say I shit post.
>>
Those fuckings faggots on Tohokingdom doesn't believe a guy that works for Scifijapan but debate on 30 pages about a fake script

Burn those fucking autists I swear
>>
I still think there's a swerve and then we find out who the "true/new" Godzilla is, sorta like the ending of Lupin Green vs Red
>>
>>14388613
>MUH SACRED OPINIONS
Not just a tween but a tumblrite as well! Tell me o insightful one, what, aside from your ego, makes your views on things more significant than anyone else's?
>>
>>14392398
Care to explain why the Ultra series is doing just under five times more profitability now compared to 2012?

Crawl back to TK little boy, we don't want you either.
>>
>>14393152
Ultraman is Bandai's bitch and it's completely dependant on the nostalgic fanbase

Care to explain why do you know more than the people working inside the industry? There have been warnings about the diminishing interest for years a even Tsuburaya's son wrote a book about "Ultraman is crying"
>>
File: 1466440262839.png (387KB, 952x714px) Image search: [Google]
1466440262839.png
387KB, 952x714px
>>14393199
Tell me anon, just what does your foot taste like? Also, do you just migrate to any other Toku thread you can find when the Ultra fans bully you with facts and logic?
>>
>>14388544
Try to not cut yourself on that razor-sharp edge.
>>
>>14393265
It's already on decline again though, which is why they're comparing with 2012 in the first place there.
>>
>>14394582
Kamen Rider is that popular? Wow. Had no idea. And the numbers for Ultraman don't look too hot. Also, Dragon Ball is smaller than I expected after coming off of two successful films. Does Bandai hold exclusive merchandising rights or are the numbers divided between other companies?
>>
>>14394638

That's just for toys. Dragonball is very high when counting everything licensed through Bandai (see the upper numbers). Its numbers also have been rising through Super's airing.

Kamen Rider took a big hit last year with Drive, and Ghost isn't expected to recover much apparently.
>>
>>14394638
Rider actually peaked 4-5 years ago. Not Yokai Watch level though. Look at that.

Dragon Ball has a huge amount of video games for Bandai's licensing. Toei's numbers show rises with the movies, but they haven't updated since last year.
>>
>>14394582
>2.6 billion is low
You're one of those guys that thinks 250K is middle class income, arent you?
>>
>the Godzilla we saw in the trailer is '54 Godzilla, literally back from the dead
>destroys half of Tokyo
>out of the ocean comes the other Godzilla, from all the subsequent movies
>Godzilla vs. Godzilla
Godzilla wins.

How do you react?
>>
>>14388544
fuck anno and his evangelion it's a cancer
>>
>>14388674
I'm free enough to annoyed you
>>
>>14388544
This. evafags are the worst
>>
>>14392558
jesus christ fucking kill yourself
>>
>>14389791
kill yourself nerd
>>
>>14396439
Not gonna happen because Shin Godzilla is the first and first time appearing in the universe.

Nice try tho.

>Crisis on InfiniteZillas will never happen.
>>
>>14388544
>unironically refer to him as 'the master'

if you can't see that it's being used ironically, then perhaps eva is too deep for you.
>>
>>14388544

new pasta is born

fuck off, shin gojira is the return of the original themes and more serious tone. I cant wait to see what anno has to say about fukushima

I really hope theres a camrip, I want to watch it immediately
>>
File: CjIgOqIUYAQ8Ki7.jpg orig.jpg (326KB, 2080x1170px) Image search: [Google]
CjIgOqIUYAQ8Ki7.jpg orig.jpg
326KB, 2080x1170px
>>14396515
I just hope the "Return to roots" and "Tone" doesn't dragged the film down unnecessarily.

Spoilers will come first, about a week before release if we're lucky, then hopefully a rip.
>>
>>14396515
>shin gojira is the return of the original themes and more serious tone

Shyeah , because that worked sooo well the last dozen times they tried it, right?
>>
File: 1463717505892.jpg (26KB, 275x369px) Image search: [Google]
1463717505892.jpg
26KB, 275x369px
>>14396573
Like I said above, I just want a Normal Godzilla movie, with a twist, and something different.

As of the most current Toho made Godzilla movies, the The Millennium Era did a Wonderful job at making Godzilla different and the movie interesting.
>G2k is your standard Return to Godzilla film for Toho, Introduces a new monster, and ends like you'd expect.
>GxM is the most Showa of the Era.
>GMK is one of the best and out of the ordinary for Godzilla movie.
>GxMG/Tokyo SOS were wonderful takes on Mechagodzilla and gave us a pseudo Godzilla Vs. Godzilla movie(s).
>Final Wars was stupid fun, all ideas shoved into one, with anime/The Matrix action scenes, and a standard ending.

Shin Godzilla for me has only showed a story about Godzilla walking through Japan, Military attacking/Failing, and with the tone of "Muh Dark and Serious 1954", in a realistic setting where the odds of a Aliens,crazy Japanese weapons, and strange plot points of near impossible to exist.

After what Jim posted on TK about the movie having a lot of Meetings(Officials/Military), look back at the Trailer and you'll see that he was right.
>>
>>14388544
>and the last movie made less than the previous.
Just gonna add some facts here for you

>2.0 box office - 4 billion yen
>3,0 box office - 5.26 billion yen

For comparison some movies also released in 2012 in Japan
>Avengers - 3.61 billion yen
>Amazing Spider-Man - 3.16 billion yen
>Men in Black III - 3.13 billion yen
>Skyfall - 2.75 billion yen
>The Dark Knight Rises - 1.97 billion yen

That's fucking right. Eva 3.0 that people on 4chan pretend is unpopular outsold the biggest hollywood blockbusters in Japan.

Haters still lying to justify their hate.
>>
File: benis.png (3MB, 1884x1059px) Image search: [Google]
benis.png
3MB, 1884x1059px
>>
File: thicc.jpg (571KB, 1334x751px) Image search: [Google]
thicc.jpg
571KB, 1334x751px
>>
>>14396471
I don't see the point of being on a Godzilla thread if you don't like it

Kaiju threads are rare enough and I enjoy them, so I don't care about your fucking opinion
>>
File: GvD_Gexplosion.jpg (34KB, 576x304px) Image search: [Google]
GvD_Gexplosion.jpg
34KB, 576x304px
>>14397244
"And they you blow up."
>>
>>14396833
>Lying to justify their autistic fixations
Tell great learned sage of /M/, to what end do this empty husks do this?

What in the name of Honda are they trying to accomplish?
>>
>>14396478
"aside from death"
>>
I want to start the Godzilla series. Any recommended version to download?
>>
>>14400066
Godzilla SOS
>>
>>14400105
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godzilla:_Tokyo_S.O.S.

?
>>
why are godzilla threads always so rough?
>>
>>14398417
>/M/
>>
>>14400066
You mean like movie collection torrents or such shit? Because there's a bunch of those floating around, but the movies are mostly of varying quality, and some collections give you subbed and dubbed versions randomly.

Or what do you mean by recommended version?
>>
>>14400531
>You mean like movie collection torrents or such shit?
Yes, but subs alone are fine too.
I just want to avoid American versions as much possible because I read they cut some parts of several movies.

>but the movies are mostly of varying quality
That is an issue, but I am fine with old XviD too. I would like to watch the highest possible quality, but original Japanese version + subs is more important to me.

>Or what do you mean by recommended version?
I guess it is not the same thing, but does the Godzilla fanbase habe anything like the Kamen Rider list
http://kamenriderguide.weebly.com/
?
>>
>>14400541
For Godzilla '54, get the Criterion edition.
>>
>>14400541
There's a torrent pack called "Godzilla 1954-2004 Complete Boxset", it has the Jap versions of the movies with subs.

I had like three other collections on my hard drive, but unfortunately I just deleted them a couple of days ago. And I don't quite remember which versions had good quality movie with subs and which versions were shit.

You can also look for DVD or Blu-Ray rips individually. Some uploaders are kind enough to include bonus features and audio commentary, if you're interested in that sorta thing. The few I have listened to so far were pretty okay.

>does the Godzilla fanbase habe anything like the Kamen Rider list
There are a couple of similar lists which people here post from time to time. I'm sure it will pop up eventually. They also give recommendations on which to watch or avoid, but don't take those as gospel, fans can never exactly agree on which movies to recommend to newcomers.

But yeah, listen to >>14400570
>>
>>14400570
>>14400588
Thank you.
>>
File: 1352151050837.jpg (1MB, 2990x1996px) Image search: [Google]
1352151050837.jpg
1MB, 2990x1996px
why do so many people dislike Showa Godzilla anyway?
>>
>>14400618
It's trendy to hate the Showa era of any franchise.
>>
>>14400683
Nope just Godzilla and Kamen Rider. Nobody hates Showa Ultraman or Sentai.
>>
File: 1400804274463.webm (2MB, 1280x496px) Image search: [Google]
1400804274463.webm
2MB, 1280x496px
>>14400618
Quality started to dip tremendously. I mean this in an objective sense, the movies had smaller and smaller budgets until they were stage shows with crumbling costumes in front of a camera. They redeemed themselves in the end though with the MechaGodzilla movies. The damage was done though, in the popular culture whenever somebody has a negative impression of Godzilla it's invariably the image of those bad movies that get brought up.

>>14400683
Being a /krg/ shithead I guess you would know huh?
>>
File: 1464364074011.png (932KB, 825x991px) Image search: [Google]
1464364074011.png
932KB, 825x991px
>>14400692
In all honesty I've never seen a lot of "Hate" for Showa Godzilla either.

Normally Showafags do one of these things:
>Label the whole Showa Era as "54 Era" and ignore the rest of the movies.
>Hate Godzilla's Revenge and love the rest of the movies.
>Love all the movies on their own merit.
>Love all the Showa Movies, but hate anything after(Including Heiseifags).

>>14400718
>Implying I hate Showa Rider/Godzilla.
Not today Slowmo.
>>
>>14400730
Don't even bother. Run back to suck /krg/'s udders before you can come up with even a halfway decent retort. The only Showa Rider you probably don't think is complete irredeemable trash is almost guaranteed to be Black and RX. Speaking of being trendy huh?
>>
File: BytheGods.jpg (88KB, 794x782px) Image search: [Google]
BytheGods.jpg
88KB, 794x782px
>>14400734
Actually:
>My favorite Showa Rider Show: Stronger
>Favorite Showa Rider: Amazon
>Black was Good during it's Beginning and Ending, Middle was shit.
>Rx was Shit.
Also why so Hostile?

Back on topic, Showa Godzilla had a lot of fun in the series and "Brawling" rather than beam spam.

Also x2:
>That moment you go into another thread and someone is false flagging as you.
Not sure if I should be proud or disturbed.
>>
>>14400763
You never watched those shows.
>>
File: 8302324690171aca70060f506dcfc943.jpg (264KB, 992x1403px) Image search: [Google]
8302324690171aca70060f506dcfc943.jpg
264KB, 992x1403px
>>14400774
Whatever you say.
>>
>>14400782
Out of curiosity, what are your favorite and least favorite Godzilla movies from the Showa era (and a separate list for Heisei if you feel like it)?
>>
>>14400730
There were a lot of people who loved the 60s stuff and hated the 70s, but they've dwindled over time.
>>
>>14400730
Showafag here, Godzilla's revenge isn't hated on as much as it's acknowledged as the worst. Smog monster is legit hated.

I love all the eras of Godzilla though, just grew up on Showa.
>>
File: news_xlarge_shingodzilla_cd_jk.jpg (116KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
news_xlarge_shingodzilla_cd_jk.jpg
116KB, 640x640px
>>14400833
Favorite Showa Films:
>Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla
>Mothra Vs. Godzilla
>Godzilla vs. Hedorah

Least Favorite Showa Films:
>Godzilla's Revenge
Godzilla Raids Again
>Son of Godzilla(Kumonga and Ending were good)
------
Favorite Heisei Films:
>Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah
>Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II
>Godzilla vs. Biollante

Least Favorite Heisei Films:
>Godzilla vs. Mothra
>Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla
>The Return of Godzilla

Cried like a bitch tier:
> Godzilla vs. Destoroyah

>>14400848
See I just love Godzilla even though I have the list above, Every movie I could pop in, watch, and enjoy.
I grew up with Showa as well and it wasn't until about 97 that I first saw a Heisei film on Stars(GvsM92).
>>
>>14400891
>See I just love Godzilla even though I have the list above, Every movie I could pop in, watch, and enjoy.
>I grew up with Showa as well and it wasn't until about 97 that I first saw a Heisei film on Stars(GvsM92).
THIS.
Also, nice taste in kaijukino Anon.
>>
File: 17253543642.jpg (550KB, 1024x901px) Image search: [Google]
17253543642.jpg
550KB, 1024x901px
>>14400718
> Smog monster is legit hated

Nah. Hated is a strong overstatement. It's polarizing at worst. Personally, it's one of my favorites.

>>14400718
Megalon is to blame for Godzilla's poor reputation in the West. It was the most widely viewed Godzilla film for years as it received a great deal of publicity and is rumored to have fallen into public domain for a time. Pity.

>>14400891
> Least Favorite Heisei Films:
> The Return of Godzilla

I know a quite a few people seem to really love G84. However, I agree with anon here. I wasn't too impressed. It came across as dull to me and I was never a fan of the film's design for Godzilla. Though I will give it props for its score and atmosphere.

I'm hoping Shin Gojira doesn't fall into similar traps. I really want it to be a unique experience. Anno is good with writing interesting characters and his visual style is great too. Don't let us down.
>>
File: pepe eye infection.jpg (61KB, 250x238px) Image search: [Google]
pepe eye infection.jpg
61KB, 250x238px
>>14400763
>'I love Showa Rider!'
>lists meme series
>>
File: Rider Black.jpg (49KB, 489x600px) Image search: [Google]
Rider Black.jpg
49KB, 489x600px
>>14400692
Showa Rider is objectively bad. Every franchise is different retard. In Rider's case it didn't get good until Black / RX and then Kuuga. There's a reason most fans feel this way.
>>
How does one filter tripfags here? 10-2chan has spoiled me with such features and I've forgotten how it works here.
>>
>>14400618
People like to hate on cheesy old movies in general. Monster movies have it particularly bad because it's such a maligned genre. And that's not even getting into in-fandom arguments.

But yeah, a lot of them were crap, as already stated. They just mar the entire series in the eyes of many people.
>>
>>14400979
Top right, settings button
>>
>>14387413
OH FUCK GUYS HE DID THE INB4 MEME THAT MEANS WE CAN'T TELL HIM TO FUCK OFF! YOU BETTER NOT TELL ME TO FUCK OFF EITHER CAUSE INB4 SOMEONE TELLS ME TO FUCK OFF THAT'S RIGHT BITCHES I'M NOW IMMUNE TO YOUR SHIT CAUSE I JUST INB4D YOUR ASS! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOA INB4 OP DOESN'T SUCK MY MASSIVE THREE INCH COCK LMAO OP NOW YOU'RE GAY AS FUCK CAUSE I JUST PULLED THE GOOD OL INB4 ON YOUR CANDY ASS! INB4INB4INB4INB4 IIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444
>>
File: 1438483661264.png (404KB, 904x596px) Image search: [Google]
1438483661264.png
404KB, 904x596px
>>14387413
guys please help with meme magic I need a new Monster Island Buddies episode to appear so I can cheer my friend up

KEK WILLS IT
>>
>>14401070
Much appreciated!
>>
worst thread on /m/ atm. the 2014 godzilla threads were never this shitty.
>>
>>14401886
G'14 looked good and actually was leading up to release
>>
>>14401886
Godzilla threads went to shit after people started talking about TK
>>
>>14402556

i agree. loved godzilla growing up, and never cared about threads on /m/ in his regard, but jesus christ in thr last 6 months or so, everytime i visit a g-thread, it's a bunch of autists talking about another website. where the fuck did you guys come from? you're more fixated on tohokingdom than /v/, /pol/ and /tv/ are on reddit and tumblr
>>
>>14402663
TK has problems, google searches support that.
>>
It is an obsession, the obsession, who do you want me to be to make you snorlax?
>>
>>14402695
Fantasy matches have turned to madness (turned to madness) and my good looks have turned to handles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIs5StN8J-0
>>
>desu archives is gone
>>
>>14400979
Are you really that fucking childish you'd filter someone who actually contributes to discussion just because they have a name?
>>
Like crap through a goose
>>
File: defeats demonbane.png (551KB, 1022x1094px) Image search: [Google]
defeats demonbane.png
551KB, 1022x1094px
On a scale of one to infinity how hard does Armor Mothra get screwed over in a fight with this guy Transcending Fate and all?
>>
File: falcon kick.jpg (61KB, 905x810px) Image search: [Google]
falcon kick.jpg
61KB, 905x810px
Anyone ever notice every human villain in these movies tend to wear sunglasses?
>>
>>14402735
Orgone: What Captain Falcon uses
>>
>>14402735
It's almost like Japan has a negative perception of yakuza or something.
>>
File: creators.png (273KB, 451x301px) Image search: [Google]
creators.png
273KB, 451x301px
I'm still irked Zone Fighter did this
>>
File: mothra_poster.jpg (788KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
mothra_poster.jpg
788KB, 1000x1500px
Rifftrax Live is apparently doing Mothra on August 18th. Leaked on AMC/Fandango.
>>
>>14403080
ugh
>>
>>14403080
damn
I'd just like to see Mothra in a theater.
>>
>>14403080
Mothra looks like shit on that poster.
>>
File: 1464329247993.jpg (96KB, 539x461px) Image search: [Google]
1464329247993.jpg
96KB, 539x461px
>>14402663
I started off on TK until I left for a bit to go on TokyoMonsters. After it started to shutdown I returned to TK, then the autism got way worse.

Back in the day you could at least talk and enjoy talking about Godzilla, Now it's bullshit after bullshit.
When they first added the "What ruined your Day" Thread in the General Discussion, shit got crazier because you realized how fucked in the head some of these people are.

>>14402663
It's honestly interesting seeing the history of TK, like reading the CWCiki.

>>14401886
Not our fault that the new Godzilla movie looks boring, no wonder we're talking about TK instead.
>>
>>14404892
And our archives are gone. Plus most of TK history has been erased from the internet.
>>
>>14405423
forgot about cuckchan, nevermind
>>
That place makes me wonder if internet censorship is a good idea once in a while.
>>
So tumblr is making a Shin Goji meme involving Cookie Monster, what's the joke?
>>
File: ChccL6mU0AEijU2.jpg (68KB, 600x849px) Image search: [Google]
ChccL6mU0AEijU2.jpg
68KB, 600x849px
>>14405423
>>14405450
Censoring anything doesn't solve shit, it's better to leave relics like TK, to show the smart internet users of the future, the outcome of "Autism".

In all honesty The only reason the site is still up is because of a few choice users, Anthony, Tyler, and Chris(Mainly).

I just wish /m/ or whatever fucking board is supposed to have Godzilla threads, could discuss more frequently about new movies and the Franchise as a whole.

>>14405463
It's Tumblr, what do you expect?
>>
>>14405463
The round face and wide mouth I guess

Maybe some inspiration from the old costume with the googly-lookin' eyes, was that the second costume?
>>
>>14405484
>Censoring anything doesn't solve shit, it's better to leave relics like TK, to show the smart internet users of the future, the outcome of "Autism".
The problem is that for some this is their first forum and they're not going to know any better. I remember years back one of the admins literally told me "who said all the rules need to be written?" Autism implies a lack of awareness, TK on the other hand knows what it is doing and doesn't care. That specific admin is no longer in power, but the idea is still strong.
>>
>>14405509
That's why I typed, "Autism" in quotes, rather than just spelling it, Autism.
TK is just filled with a special kind of stupid.

A large problem with the Admins and Mods is that they're friends of other friends, and they get to do what they want.
The first forum(VGDC) I was ever on, the Mods actually got voted in by the user base(Around 120 strong in it's prime), and if they stepped out of line(Punishing for bullshit reason), they got "fired"/demoted.

TK the Mods/Admins just got chosen because their friend was like, "Wanna be a Mod/Admin?". Then again, no self respecting person would want to moderate a forum filled with man children who make "Stop Motion Vinyl Godzilla films", people who think their opinion's are Fact, Edgelords, Kiss-asses, and dip shits.
>>
>>14405484
Isn't /m/ supposed to be Godzilla, Kamen Rider, mecha, etc??
>>
File: Skypepic1.png (51KB, 180x222px) Image search: [Google]
Skypepic1.png
51KB, 180x222px
>>14405558
Who the fuck knows, I thought anything that had Robots/Mechs/Cyborgs/etc was considered /m/, but people's definitions are different. Hell, Where on Earth is Robot Jones could be considered /m/ at this point.
>>
Those fantasy match rules, man. Some make sense, others are just plain silly.
>>
>>14405558
Yes, moot was very clear on this long time ago. Of course it just ended up being 90% Gundam, and you aren't allowed to talk about non-Heisei toku without the /krg/ gestapo shitposting your thread to death.
>>
>>14405594
>Zubat reboot when?

>>14405587
>No video game characters are allowed.
Is my favorite, yours?
>>
>>14405594
Why are Heisei Rider fans so intolerant of older stuff? Not just toku but in general. Or is it literally just the threads here?
>>
>>14405600
>Is my favorite, yours?
In addition to that there is the
>Typing "_______ wins for the reasons stated above" is not allowed.
rule that is never enforced. The
>If users post in a soon-to-be-locked Fantasy Match after someone has raised the alarm
rule contradicts the one where you can't arm chair mod. After that is
>in regard to the number of combatants
Finally, and my "favorite" is
>If you are using a character that may not be well known in the FMs, then please provide a video of said fighter in action in your opening post. If person requests a video/pic, you must provide it.
and
>Please do not use characters that are over reliant on or frequently use Toon Physics/Toon Force

Does it ever occur to these people that if you don't like a match or are unfamiliar with who is fighting maybe, just maybe, you don't have to post?
>>
File: ugh.png (199KB, 491x368px) Image search: [Google]
ugh.png
199KB, 491x368px
>>14405620
>yfw literally anything can qualify under rule 16
>yfw it just takes one jerk to force you to take time out of your life to google something they could have done
>yfw they don't even have to post a meaningful response
>yfw literally dinosaur FMs exist
>yfw toon physics is so broadly defined any animation entity can qualify

Power abuse ladies and gents
>>
File: drills.webm (1MB, 640x332px) Image search: [Google]
drills.webm
1MB, 640x332px
>>14405608

/krg/ is full of literal children / teenagers who are disgusted with anything made before they ear 2000 if even and will unironically tell you The Room is superior to Citizen Kane because it's in color and more recognizable because it was made more recently. They're the same demograph that will tell you Stephen Universe and Adventure Time are superior to classic Popeye and Looney Tunes because of better 'drama' and progressive themes.
>>
File: Tyran.jpg (108KB, 800x702px) Image search: [Google]
Tyran.jpg
108KB, 800x702px
>>14405620
>All that bullshit.

I'm going to bed.
>>
>>14400618
I don't hate Showa. There is just select few that I personally think are watchable.
>Godzilla '54
>Raids Again
>Gidorah
>DaM
>MechaGodzilla and ToMG

Stuff like Megalon, and Ebirah, and Son of Godzilla are just too cheesy. Sure, they are
"fun", but the acting and plots are just so silly.
>>
>>14402715
Nice samefagging There boyo, here's your (you).
>>
File: gamera3.jpg (77KB, 468x263px) Image search: [Google]
gamera3.jpg
77KB, 468x263px
>>14387413

I think it'll be a terrible movie.
>>
File: 92GojiFace.jpg (83KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
92GojiFace.jpg
83KB, 1024x768px
>>14406682
Gamera, please.
>>
>>14400618
I feel like Showa era Godzilla movies are not about Godzilla, but more about his opponents. Every movie is basically 1. some monster shows up 2. Godzilla comes out of the ocean, kicks it's ass and goes back
while the second series especially focuses on the G himself and how to stop him from raping cities left and right.
>>
>>14396833
>>14391851
What's your point? You cherrypick a few movies, and that's it? Compare it to movies in the same class, which is what the post suggested you do. From what I can tell, it's successful in the box office but still doesn't outdo what could be considered it's competition. (hint: none of the movies listed by you guys are in that category, not even as broad as animation).

That said, it's obvious the subject is home media sales not box office, which is where the last one did actually outsell the previous. It's a huge warning sign for any economist or investor that it sells less than a previous title despite doing better at the box office. I mean hello, doesn't it tell you something? To understand what's going on here, you need to take everything into context. Looking at the weekly earnings of 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 and comparing them with other movies, we see a trend, and we see 3.0 separating itself from the rest. This is because 3.0 has an extremely high turnup in it's first week, which is then more or less halved every subsequent week. What gave 3.0 the enormous boost in box office revenue was the hype surrounding the movie after the audience had known 3.0. The dislike for 3.0 would then explain why it regressed in home media sales, as then the cat was already out of the box that it was a disappointment.

Otherwise from a financial and marketing standpoint, it should have sold far more than it did. To this end, I would not consider the Rebuild as big as success as the numbers would imply, given that there is significant lost potential. Evangelion is a big balloon that when considering Anno's actions, has deflated somewhat. Which should be to you, me and even Toho a warning sign.
>>
>>14405965
>hating megalon
>hating jet jaguar
>>
>>14406956
Too campy for me. Showa is something I need to be in the mood to watch.
>>
How come there has never been an anime about kaiju?
We've had Neo Ranga but you'd think for concept with a lot of appeal, there'd have been more.
>inb4 Evangelion
>inb4 Attack on Titan
>>
>>14406839
You got wrecked, champ. Your autistic ramblings won't fix that.
>>
>>14406839
>dat mental gymnastics
Autism speaks
>>
>>14407231
Godannar? Dai Guard? Tons of super robots punch out monsters every week.

Outside of that, what does a kaiju anime really offer that a toku show doesn't, besides the novelty of being animated instead of live-action? Ultra Q and Ultraman both aired in 1966, and that's just kind of been the format that people have expected kaiju TV shows to come in since then.
>>
File: 54785478547.jpg (308KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
54785478547.jpg
308KB, 1024x1024px
>>14406839

How is that cherry picking? The last two Evangelion films were among the highest grossing films in the years they were released. What do you want?

What is in Eva's class? Aside from whatever Studio Ghibli produces, the only other anime films that did better than 3.0 at box office within the last decade was One Piece Film: Z in 2012 with $72 million and Yōkai Watch in 2015 with $65 million. The One Piece success seems to have been an anomaly, as all other One Piece films are stuck in the $10 million zone. But we'll find out this year when One Piece Film: Gold releases the weekend before Godzilla Resurgence. And Yōkai Watch is currently a hot property. The last two Dragon Ball films got around $30 million a piece. The last Pokemon film (2015) grossed $22 million (this franchise has been on the decline for years now) and the most recent Naruto film took in $22 million. Both Detective Conan and Doraemon seem to usually reach the $30-40 million range. And Mamoru Hosoda's last two flicks (The Wolf Children and The Boy & The Beast) hit approximately $50 million each.

And although 3.0 didn't perform as well as 2.0 in home video sales, it still managed some good numbers. Plus you have to remember that 3.0 was fairly divisive.

G14 took in $29 million and the combined gross of Toho's Attack on Titan duology was around $40 million, Hopefully, Godzilla Resurgence can get somewhere in this neighborhood.
>>
>>14405608
1. Some seasonal anime type of people who only seem to care about current weekly releases
2. Some nostalgic Brazilians and Filipinos who consider Kamen Rider Black the pinnacle of television
3. Some kids who are apparently incapable of enjoying older media without comparing it to modern effects, like the types who honestly prefer the Star Wars prequels because of flippy saber fights

But mostly it's just shitposters pretending to be one of those things, and the rest of /krg/ is dumb enough to take the bait. Since Ghost premiered you can barely talk about Heisei there either.
>>
File: Family photo.jpg (995KB, 1223x927px) Image search: [Google]
Family photo.jpg
995KB, 1223x927px
>>14406682
What would your brother and sister think of you, wasting all your time harassing Godzilla online?
You used to be the Guardian of the Universe, man. What happened?
>>
>>14407283
>>14407292
You're more occupied being children than discussing. Go away autists.

>>14407628
>How is that cherry picking?
Picking movies outside the category of which you are to compare to, and only picking movies which it sold less than. There were movies going on concurrently with the Rebuilds that outsold them all, in the animation category, some of which you've picked up on - which all proves the point.

>And although 3.0 didn't perform as well as 2.0 in home video sales, it still managed some good numbers. Plus you have to remember that 3.0 was fairly divisive.

That's the point I'd like to highlight, not building on previous success is a warning sign more than a good thing. I agree with the other posters that it's going to decently, but to play it off as the Rebuilds is a perfect success story financially and that Anno is a safe bet is really dumb and uninformed.
>>
File: 5546455768745431.gif (2MB, 500x341px) Image search: [Google]
5546455768745431.gif
2MB, 500x341px
>>14408202
You Are (Not) Alone ($18,759,980) was the 28th highest grossing film at Japanese box office in 2007. The only animated films above it are Pokémon: Diamond and Pearl ($42,238,454) and Doraemon the Movie: Nobita's New Great Adventure Into the Underworld - The Seven Magic Users ($28,671,322).

You Can (Not) Advance ($41,028,401) was the 12th highest grossing film at Japanese box office in 2009. The only animated films above it are One Piece Film: Strong World ($48,192,309) and Pokémon 12 ($48,687,041).

You Can (Not) Redo ($60,487,945) was the 6th highest grossing film at Japanese box office in 2012. The only animated film above it is One Piece Film Z ($72,822,122).

Since 3.0, the only other Japanese animated films to surpass $40 million at box office are:

One Piece Film Z ($72,822,122)
Wolf Children ($52,544,777)
Doraemon: Nobita and the Island of Miracles—Animal Adventure ($44,649,222)
Pokemon: Best Wishes 2012 ($44,057,737)
Detective Conan: The Eleventh Striker ($41,439,875)

Stand by Me Doraemon ($70,000,000) Domestically and ($86,000,000)

Yo-Kai Watch: The Movie ($65,000,000)
The Boy and the Beast ($46,863,971)

Yo-kai Watch: The Great King Enma and the Five Tales, Meow! ($45,429,073)

Detective Conan: The Darkest Nightmare ($57,064,997)

Aside from foreign films (Disney) and Studio Ghibli, the only animated features that have outgrossed Evangelion in the last decade are Detective Conan, Pokemon, Doraemon, Yo-Kai Watch, Mamoru Hosoda flicks, and One Piece. Eva has made $20 million more each film and the only things in the same league are massive children franchises and One Piece. How is this not great business? Assuming it's good, 4.0 will most likely be the highest grossing entry of the Rebuilds by virtue of being the final installment. Toho probably wants to pull Rebuild numbers with Godzilla Resurgence, which would easily make it the most successful Japanese Godzilla film to date (unadjusted for inflation).
>>
>>14407231
TV Devilman and Devil Lady to a lesser extent
>>
File: autism_awareness_ribbon1.png (365KB, 1000x1620px) Image search: [Google]
autism_awareness_ribbon1.png
365KB, 1000x1620px
>>14406839
So was it the lack of a new console sonic game this year what prompted you to start this little campaign, or do you just like writing blocks of text that no one will ever read?
>>
>>14408763
Stop wasting your time, you're just getting pulled down with him at this point. Interesting facts aside, you can't beat the tard out of him.
>>
>>14408763

4.0 doesn't even have to be 'good'--most people will probably see it in theaters because they're curious as to how the rebuilds will end, and if they can save themselves from the plot-muck of 3.0
>>
>>14408763
Was Eva that popular? I thought it was a cult series but these are mainstream numbers
>>
>>14409529
Yeah. It seems Rebuild has done really well. Although, it has nothing on Disney animation and Studio Ghibli. Films from those guys usually make somewhere between $100-200 million each. However, the last two Ghibli films were financial disappointments. Marnie under-performed with $35 million and The Tale of the Princess Kaguya flopped with $25 million. Between that and Hayao Miyazaki going back into retirement, the studio decided to stop producing films for the time being.
>>
>>14407171

I feel the same way but mostly about mid-Showa ('Astro-Monster' through 'Son'), plus 'All Monsters Attack' and 'Megalon', simply because they kind of lack sizzle or are lesser versions of other films (or at least the monster battles are). The rest of Showa I genuinely enjoy, but Heisei is just so much better I'd usually rather watch that -- with the caveat that Ghidorah makes anything golden (except 'Astro-Monster').
>>
>>14407171
>>14416117

> Godzilla 54/King of the Monsters
> Mothra vs Godzilla
> Ghidorah
> Monster Zero

The early Honda films are the best Godzilla films to date. Characters in the Showa Godzilla films had more personality, making them more interesting to watch. Plus, these films have a certain charm to them. Not claiming they are flawless, though people are too hard on them. However, Honda kind of lost his touch later on with Destroy All Monsters, All Monsters Attack, and Terror of MechaGodzilla. Most of the Heisei installments are underwhelming and lazy. The posters and music are the best things about them. The continuity is ultimately irrelevant, the special effects are inexcusable for the budgets and time period, and the human characters are less interesting. Look at the Gamera Trilogy, produced on smaller budgets, from the same time period.
>>
I dug Monster Zero
>>
File: godzilla_timeline.png (2MB, 1024x2819px) Image search: [Google]
godzilla_timeline.png
2MB, 1024x2819px
>>14416270
>Ghidorah
See, I enjoyed the movie a lot. The only thing I hated was the monsters talking. Same thing will shit like Vs. Gigan. That's just too much for me.

I will admit that the humans had much more development, but over all, the actual plots from the Heisei era were just over all more interesting.

Also, why do you say continuity is irrelevant? I personally love it out of the others. Fun time travel stuff, space n' shit, with a final movie that had emotional scenes, and ultimately the end of Godzilla.
>>
>>14416270
>>14417237
Also I really gotta disagree on effects. Return of Godzilla had some amazing miniatures.
>>
File: BANANA SLAMMA.png (491KB, 496x499px) Image search: [Google]
BANANA SLAMMA.png
491KB, 496x499px
>liking the pea brained lil shit an ape kicked the shit out of in 62.
>>
File: rqqaSd.jpg (3KB, 125x96px) Image search: [Google]
rqqaSd.jpg
3KB, 125x96px
>>14417294
>>
File: Bull Demon.jpg (22KB, 600x251px) Image search: [Google]
Bull Demon.jpg
22KB, 600x251px
How come Daiei never had this thing fight Gamera? It was from 1962, looks SO much better then Godzilla and Kong from the same era.
>>
>>14417292
Not the anon you responded to, but the effects in Heisei started deteriorating really beginning with Ghidorah. Return and Biollante, while not near perfect, upped the ante by a huge margin compared to the original series, but after that, the effect work just started getting lazier and more rushed. Spacegodzilla in particular felt like an unintentional tribute to the worse parts of the late-60s and 70s films, and the shoddy effects were a huge part of this.

Miniatures also suffered when they decided to make Godzilla even bigger in Ghidorah.
>>
>>14417237
> See, I enjoyed the movie a lot. The only thing I hated was the monsters talking. Same thing will shit like Vs. Gigan. That's just too much for me.

But the characters in Ghidorah and Gigan are just so much fun. And if I remember correctly, vs. Gigan has some of the most Godzilla screen time of all the movies.

> Also, why do you say continuity is irrelevant? I personally love it out of the others. Fun time travel stuff, space n' shit, with a final movie that had emotional scenes, and ultimately the end of Godzilla.

Aside from Miki, there really weren't any returning characters. Seeing reoccurring characters grow over an expanding narrative makes things more engaging. But with the characters we got, guess it doesn't really matter anyway. And while I'm personally fond of Miki, she doesn't contribute much after Biollante. We will not mention that one film involving telekinesis, clones, and space. Let it live silently in infamy.

Plus, the continuity is loose. The writers don't take full of advantage of it and it's often treated as little more than an offhand remark. Here are some examples: Godzilla vs Mothra can be removed from the timeline without it affecting anything. You'll probably bring up the G-Cells in space, however, we have Godzilla vs Biollante to explain that. Or you could ignore it too and simply rewrite the origin of Godzilla's extraterrestrial clone. It wouldn't require altering things in any significant way. Seeing that Japan had already built two advanced drones in the 1980s, I could see MechaGodzilla existing without future technology. Not too much of a stretch. Nods to previous films are definitely interesting, though they don't add anything of value to the actual quality of a film. Especially if the characters are forgettable (G84) and the execution of the ideas presented leave much to be desired (Destoroyah). But don't get me wrong. I like continuity too.
>>
>>14417292
In terms of visual effects, Return of Godzilla was definitely an improvement over the final entries of the Showa Era. However, Godzilla vs. Biollante is in another class. The filmmakers were super ambitious there. Unfortunately, the effects get worse with each entry afterwards. Embarrassingly so at times. Meanwhile, the Gamera films had astounding visuals.

Since Shinji Higuchi (man behind the effects of Heisei Gamera) is working on Godzilla Resurgence and he almost certainly has more money at his disposal than ever before, I'm hoping we get some great work. There is plenty riding on the successful of this movie. It can't afford to fail.
>>
>>14417662
>I'm hoping we get some great work
Hopefully they won't try to splash shitty Japanese CGI over everything in a futile effort to appeal to "modern expectations".
>>
File: Baby,_Little,_Junior_Godzilla.jpg (21KB, 474x210px) Image search: [Google]
Baby,_Little,_Junior_Godzilla.jpg
21KB, 474x210px
>>14417598
>Aside from Miki, there really weren't any returning characters.
>>
File: 789439439843.png (788KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
789439439843.png
788KB, 1024x576px
>>14417736
Only humans desu
>>
Does Evageeks browse these Goji threads?
>>
>>14417771
scratch that, what do they think of these places mentioning TK every topic?
>>
File: Heisei G.jpg (297KB, 1000x1380px) Image search: [Google]
Heisei G.jpg
297KB, 1000x1380px
>>14417598
> Takayuki Segawa
> Baby G
>Miki
>Takaki Aso
>Sho Kuroki
Yeah...I mean you can go off and say they aren't interesting enough, but the Heisei has some recurring characters.

>Plus, the continuity is loose
Not as loose as Millennium(which is mostly stand alones) and not as drawn out as Showa.

Having two examples as to why Space G was made isn't really a continuity problem in my eyes. Sure, they didn't have to say MKG's tech helped make MG2. But they did. It's not a continuity error, just trying to tie everything in with one another.
>>
File: 3.0_was_my_doing.jpg (36KB, 298x264px) Image search: [Google]
3.0_was_my_doing.jpg
36KB, 298x264px
If this movie does end up being a critical and commercial flop, like these rumors suggest, how fucked would Anno's career and 4.0's production be?
>>
>>14417851
Rumors really suggest that? Really hope not, I didn't care for Legendary's Godzilla and not really interested in a second.

Really hoping this sparks a true 4th wave of Godzilla films.
>>
>>14417851
He would just once again shift the blame to the Otaku being the only ones who bought the tickets and end up being praised as the saviour of anime.
>>
File: 47479839823.jpg (47KB, 420x630px) Image search: [Google]
47479839823.jpg
47KB, 420x630px
>>14417826
Three of those are bit players, one is a monster (which I excluded), and the other I mentioned. I was thinking of the main characters. But yeah, I could have done a better job explaining.

I'm not saying those things are continuity errors. And I can dig connections between movies. Just arguing that the ties could be easily altered without doing too much to the stories themselves and that the connections shouldn't really be considered something to brag about. The characters and stories are more important.

>>14417851

Are there new rumors? The ones I know about are as follows:

> Toho had problems with the human story and reshoots were done to fix them
> Two Godzilla puppets failed tests and Toho switched to CGI
> Someone from Sci-Fi Japan claimed to have read the script and said it was dull. Allegedly, the humans weren't interesting and the message wasn't handled well. But he also said that the reshoots were probably about addressing those issues.

Shinji Higuchi did admit things were behind. He said under normal circumstances there would be more to show at this point. But they were working hard to deliver something good.

Did Anno let us down?
>>
>>14417986
>Are there new rumors?

Not exactly new, it was from the same guy from TK who was from Sci-Fi Japan. He said that the amount of advertising in Japan for Resurgence has been practically nil so far, despite the release being just on the horizon.
>>
>>14417851
Anno's career would be damaged beyond repair but 4.0 production would start immediately because Anno wouldn't have anywhere else to go
>>
>>14417986
How do you feel about the Millennium era?
>>
Will tokusatsu ever have a mainstream hit again?
>>
>>14418013
Jim Pluff of Hard-Boiled Kaijuland recently posted this:

Ok, I’m not going to specify what I read (I promised not to touch spoilers, and this is kind of borderline), but I will say something pretty similar to a certain leaker’s claims appears to have been validated by one of the directors in a new interview.

Don’t know what’s true and false at this point, because, from what I read, the leaker got the gist of it right but one of the particulars wrong. We’ll see in a month…

Might he being referring to the guy from Sci-Fi Japan? Or one of the other leakers?

>>14418068

It was disappointing. Toho ran Godzilla into the ground and we're still recovering from that poor decision making today. GMK was the best thing to come from the Millennium Era.
>>
>>14407231
I count the mechasauri from Getter as kaiju.

But it is odd that the ratio of "robot fighting robots" to "robot fighting monsters" shows is so vastly disproportionate.
>>
File: Billy.jpg (203KB, 750x719px) Image search: [Google]
Billy.jpg
203KB, 750x719px
>>14417986
1 and 3 are 100% true.
2 is likely to be true though.

Apparently(Grain of salt) at some point in production there was supposed to be a suit made, but because of the size of the puppets, that was scrapped. Instead they went with puppets, made two from what I was told and heard, but something fucked up, and they like you said, Switched to CGI.

The puppet is real without a doubt,from the leaked photos and the first trailer proves that, but whether or not that they used it for more than one scene/shot is in the air.

>>14418280
Curious to which leak might be true.
>>
>>14418280
I'm gonna fire wildly in the dark here and say "Judas" is a thing, but it's the tail. Using another rumor, The tail absorbs life to reforms itself, eventually breaks off Godzilla, and fights him. I'm ready to horribly miss.

Or just Godzilla has another form.
>>
>>14418074
Maybe, if the stars align. Not outside of Japan, though.
>>
>>14387446
just release it straight to blu-ray
>>
someone please explains TK forums?
>>
>>14400105
You have to at least watch Against Mecha Godzilla first.
>>
>>14400618
if I want super hero godzilla, I'd watch Ultraman.
>>
>>14417330
Well, it was tiny compared to Gamera, for one. Daiei was never big on crossovers/shared universe like Toho/Tsuburaya was.
>>
>>14420358
A Godzilla/Kaiju Web Site/Forum that is widely known for being extremely "Autistic" in their ways of managing the Forums.

Kaiju Kombat also go it's partial start there, and that's a story in itself.

>>14420336
They are most likely in 2017.
>>
>>14405463
>tumblr
Right there
>>
>>14420358
Get banned from a normal forum people actively avoid mentioning you. Get banned from TK and you'll be stalked for years and talked about in public view, chronically taunted, staff approves of it, and the owner rarely does anything. One senior member was harassed so badly he developed depression and attempted social suicide. The reaction was three people caring while other responses fell under "who cares?". That's not getting into the old fanfictions where banned members were part of evil empires and senior members used kaiju to fight them off.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>14409529
>Was Eva that popular?
>>
>>14405638
What are you smoking
>>
File: 743974394323.jpg (455KB, 1280x1707px) Image search: [Google]
743974394323.jpg
455KB, 1280x1707px
Will Toho ever realize Heisei Godzilla doesn't make a good public mascot? The design just looks odd outside of the film setting. One of the late Showa Era suits would be more appropriate for these types of events and would probably be easier to move around in.
>>
>>14421258
the showa suits are dust
>>
>>14421258
Heisei Godzilla is more marketable.
>>
File: 7328997832320.gif (428KB, 1280x969px) Image search: [Google]
7328997832320.gif
428KB, 1280x969px
>>14421388
It just looks so weird most of the time. Something like pic related would look better posing with people and shilling products.
>>
File: Soon.jpg (30KB, 480x392px) Image search: [Google]
Soon.jpg
30KB, 480x392px
>>14421416
I agree, I mean 70's Godzilla is one of my favorite Designs, and I'd love to see Toho make a new suit of it, or update older suits.

The problem with Heisei is that it's bulky, like a overweight creature running around, While most Showa suits were slimmed down for the actor(Compare Raids Again suit to 1954).

The 89/91 suits are the best representation of Godzilla for Heisei, but Japan loves the expressions of the Eye's and face of the later Heisei designs.
>>
Just gonna use this as my soapbox and say that people who complain about Shin Gojira being too stiff/immobile, it's arms being useless, etc have never watched many of the heisei/millenium movies, or just willingly ignore them for the sake of shitting on Resurgence.

Immediately after watching Against Mechagodzilla it's evident that Godzilla hardly moves in that movie aside from his tail, legs, and mouth.

If people at least hated it in those movies and used it as a basis of comparison to complain about, then it wouldn't bother me, but people treat it more as a step in the wrong direction, or a mistake unique to Shin. When things have already been established that way before. It's not a "step" in ANY direction.
>>
>>14422969
I think it's the "hey where is the towel" pose that makes it looks so off
>>
>>14422969
Except:

1.At least at the time of the film's release, people complained about the suit's stiffness. Tokyo SOS also had a improved performance of it. It also had a very expressive head.

2. Even at it's most stiff, the suit had the benefit of having working upper body.
>>
File: 2qkp26q.jpg (203KB, 800x557px) Image search: [Google]
2qkp26q.jpg
203KB, 800x557px
>>14422969
> Against Mechagodzilla
It and its sequel features one of my least favorite interpretations of Godzilla. As you mentioned, he is borderline immobile and he looks like a suit.

Yes, there are some unique and radical elements to Godzilla's latest design. Extremely long tail, short arms, wide mouth, and so on. However, it's still immediately recognizable as Godzilla. Plus, we've seen less than a minute of this version in action. If Shinji Higuchi's comments and the recent figures images are any indication, it seems we'll be getting some interesting action in this film. Plus Anno is in charge. Has he ever done anything dull?
>>
>>14423253
That's basically how I see it, too, though. My point is that, regardless of how stiff what we've seen has been and how much will carry over, people's complaints show clear bias against the movie.

(personally though, I don't mind Godzilla's stiffness, seeing how balanced it is with Kiryu's sick moves.)
>>
File: 547848778922121.jpg (309KB, 1024x1204px) Image search: [Google]
547848778922121.jpg
309KB, 1024x1204px
>>14423410
I got your point. And it's similar to how detractors treat GMK. Some of the things they complain about are worse in other films, like the special effects for instance. This is one of my favorites because it harkens back to the characters of Honda's efforts in the Golden Age, the story is fresh, and the special effects are better than those of the films surrounding it. Although, Tokyo SOS deserves a special mention for Mothra and its miniatures. Good stuff. And I'm not going to pretend GMK is perfect. Its CGI is unquestionably lacking, some of the extras overact, and the third act is flimsy. Yet it's still entertaining and better than its comparable competition.
>>
>>14420652
>Kaiju Kombat
Holy shit, I remember that. It had some cool artwork, what happened with it?
>>
>>14423556
It looked like crap and the only stage at launch was a giant arena even though most of the fun of those Godzilla games was being able to chuck buildings at each other.

Also, the fursonas that got in SOILED IT for a good chunk of people.
>>
>>14421258
He looks so happy.
>>
Hey, so I actually read the script. Kinda at least. I kinda pieced together what happens through Satomi Ishihara's character, because all of her stuff is in English. I know little to no Japanese, so what wasn't explained to me I had to tirelessly type shit in through babelshit, to get a gist for the rest.

I can "spoil" it all I guess. It's honestly really simple movie. There are no other other monsters, but I believe Godzilla has another form as there is something described as 小魚 ゴジラ.

Biggest red flags are: Very little Godzilla. He has three large sequences and that's it, doesn't make an appearance until 60 pages into the script. Pacing seems really fucked too with tons of boardroom shit.

I know there are reshoots so some of this could change. I'm fairly hopeful.
>>
File: 111784379439811.jpg (156KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
111784379439811.jpg
156KB, 1200x675px
>>14424222
Provide specifics, m8. So far you haven't brought anything new to the table.
>>
>>14421079
Hey /krg/ scumbag didn't see ya there
>>
>>14424254

Satomi Ishihara's character has a small introduction in the first act when they discover a boat in Tokyo Bay, essentially pledging the U.S.'s help in their recovery of the missing fishermen.

After Godzilla first touches down in Kamakura Japan, her character takes center stage. At this point everyone is pitching their idea to counter Godzilla and she says Japan should fall in-line with America who will coordinate and lead the assault. Hiroki Hasegawa's character is kinda a bitch and smitten with her so he convinces others to go along with it.

The main centerpiece of the film is the assault on Godzilla, which we've seen bits of in the trailer. They're trying to STOP Godzilla from going back into the sea because they don't want him to contaminate the waters around Japan.
>>
File: 73827837932.jpg (98KB, 1126x865px) Image search: [Google]
73827837932.jpg
98KB, 1126x865px
>>14424349
Shucks. I think you might be telling the truth. Literally no official information contradicts what you posted. If anything it supports it. Major American involvement and all the characters having government ties, as shown in the trailer and revealed in the casting list. This even matches what the guy from Sci-Fi Japan revealed. And then there is pic related, which makes sense after your post.

Nothing on Kaiju A or Kaiju B?
>>
>>14424427

There are no Kaiju A/B.In the first act a submarine finds an immature Godzilla and this 小魚 ゴジラ is used several times. There's very little description of Godzilla, which leads me to believe he was designed afterward.
>>
>>14424447
So then that confirms the different forms rumor?

Is there anything involving a train? And if so, what is its name?
>>
>>14424222
>>14424349
Damn, that sounds terrible. Sounds like Anno really does want to be the next Oshii.
>>
>>14424447

I'm going to go, I'll be back tomorrow if you guys have questions. To wet your appetites I'll say that some random anon actually posted the ending to the movie a month ago. It's kind of anti-climactic, but interesting. Think V for Vendetta.

I think the movie could be good. My biggest worry is the pacing of the board-room stuff. There are emergency and disaster control characters who (appear, remember I'm not fluent) to just completely disappear halfway into the movie. Also, the fact that Satomi speaks English so much is giving me Vietnam flashbacks to Biollante.
>>
>>14424491

I was hoping to keep you guessing but Yeah that train thing is 100% true. There's no "name", though. Just generic bullet train moniker.
>>
>>14424515
> Wow. Given free reign, this is what Anno came up with? Was hoping for something more original. Well, can't judge it simply by the script. The other elements (music, acting, cinematography) can make all the difference in the world. Is the end dark? Anything like G54 or End of Evangelion?
>>
>>14424515
>Just generic bullet train moniker.

What train are we even talking about here?
>>
File: 7932732233.jpg (45KB, 650x377px) Image search: [Google]
7932732233.jpg
45KB, 650x377px
>>14424557
I read it was the Evangelion Shinkansen. But would Anno really go that far?
>>
>>14424610
No, I mean what are they doing with the bullet train in the movie?
>>
>>14424447
>小魚 ゴジラ
Those first two charactewrs make the word kozakana" which means "small fry"

so it seems pretty likely that the first act has an immature goji.
>>
File: 101278439783.jpg (250KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
101278439783.jpg
250KB, 960x720px
>>14424744
Filling it with explosives and using it as a weapon against Godzilla.
>>
File: images.jpg (4KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
4KB, 160x160px
>tfw you don't want to lose the interest in this film, but it's slowly leaking out like a balloon squeakily deflating.
>>
>>14396439
Didn't that already happen with the ghost Godzilla movie?
>>
>>14425139
Does this not sound like kaiju kino?
>>
>>14424222
>Biggest red flags are: Very little Godzilla. He has three large sequences and that's it, doesn't make an appearance until 60 pages into the script.
Toho wanted to outdo the 2014 movie yet has the same problem? Hilarious
>>
How the hell did you read the script anyway?
>>
File: 1467158671613.jpg (349KB, 1280x1906px) Image search: [Google]
1467158671613.jpg
349KB, 1280x1906px
>>14425265
If this is true, sounds like they're already on a better track. Apparently attention will be on Godzilla and he will be evolving throughout the story. Godzilla had to compete with the MUTO in G14 and there was also the teasing.

What I'm curious about is how the characters will be connected to the action. Will they ever see Godzilla with their own eyes or will they always be a safe distance away from the devastation? What kind of drama should we expect? Any romantic relationships? Is this a loose 12 Angry Men remake featuring special appearances by Godzilla every thirty minutes? What makes Godzilla a "god?" How will the "fiction (Godzilla) vs reality (Japan) tagline" relate to it all?

Another trailer would be helpful. We could probably confirm and debunk some rumors with some more footage.
>>
>>14400941
Black RX isn't good. It's okay, but it's only really popular here in the west.

Stronger is legitimately great.
>>
I think there might be enough information to patch things together into something coherent:
Jim Pluff said, according to something he received from a Twitter user, one of the directors made comments that lent credibility to the claims Tokumei made on TK back in May. Tokumei mentioned the following:

- Godzilla Resurgence would not be a sequel to Godzilla (1954). He specifically used the term remake. Perhaps he meant reboot?
- There would not be another monster and Godzilla would have multiple forms. He starts as a tadpole and at some point walks on four legs. Furthermore, he does not absorb other life forms. If this is true, it takes care of Kaiju A and Kaiju B.
- The film opens with some boat in Tokyo Bay. A notebook with "Godzilla" written on it is discovered on said boat. Then something about red water and smoke on the sea causing the Japanese government to panic.

Somehow word about the Shinkansen bombs got into the mix. Not sure if Tokumei brought that up or if it came from someone else. Then another TK user alleged that Tokumei's claims originated from 2ch forums back in February. In addition, names of cast members and their roles in the film were also included in these posts on the 2ch forums. This is important because we only knew about the three leads back in February. Plus, Tokumei's English wasn't all that great. Maybe he was Japanese and was relying on an online translator.

Interestingly enough, all of the Judas stuff immediately followed the Tokumei incident and the person behind it tried to discredit Tokumei. And in response, Tokumei insisted he was telling the truth. Nevertheless, Tokumei was kind of forgotten about due to all the fallout from Judas. Even more interesting, August Ragone addressed the issue. Referring to the Judas parasite rumors, he said that the North American fandom got trolled hard. Keep in mind, August Ragone hinted at multiple forms once before. Hmm... I think anon's claims above might be accurate.
>>
>>14425139
I feel you anon, at this point I've just given up on Shin Godzilla. Now for the painful wait until 2019 when Ironically, Legendary will get it right.

>>14425253
Making a "Godzilla Revival", means making a film that will be interesting enough to spark a chain of films, connected or not. Nothing from what we've seen is interesting enough to put Godzilla on track for more movies in Japan, and if the poster is legit, and the movie plays on this way, the film was a complete waste.
>>
>>14425139
Seems par for the course for this franchise as of these last few decades. Heck, almost the whole genre even.

I'm not one to swallow any rumor wholesale, but really, there hasn't been much about the movie so far to get me optimistic. Especially after basically getting burned by the huge anticipation leading up to G'14.

Which sucks, cause this is the first time that I'm following a Japanese-made Godzilla movie in real time.
>>
>>14426112
>He starts as a tadpole and at some point walks on four legs.
>>
File: 45658989823.gif (831KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
45658989823.gif
831KB, 500x281px
Today, Astounding Beyond Belief posted:
"It’d be pretty funny if the Godzilla Resurgence script leaked and the fandom tried to divine the quality of the movie using only Satomi Ishihara’s English dialogue."

What did they mean by this?
>>
>>14428196

Yeah, well fuck that nobody. I'm not saying the movie will be good or bad. Structurally the movie is wonky, but that's really all I could discern from it. These are GODZILLA movies after all. They don't lean on scripts for their foundations. However, faggots expecting some mega-monster mash are retarded though, and deserve to get their hopes up.

He starts out as a fucking fish. Quote me on that.
>>
hey guys I read the script for that patlabor movie they're making but I don't read moonrune
they say "COMBAT" so it's probably a lot of robot fights
>>
>>14425348
/krg/ would disagree.
>>
so does he look like well done HAMBAGA throughout the movie?
>>
File: dem eyes.jpg (381KB, 1100x959px) Image search: [Google]
dem eyes.jpg
381KB, 1100x959px
>>14426112
>>14428190
>Godzilla is a tadpole, then a four-legged thing

They took enough risks with the design, now they're just gonna fuck it up. God dammit.

Even worse, it's a remake. This is his new origin, everybody! Christ, why even have a Godzilla that's so fucked up looking if it doesn't even tie in to the oxygen destroyer or atomic bomb? He's just fucked up looking for the sake of edge.

I'm disappointed.
>>
File: QUESTIONS.jpg (294KB, 1256x2227px) Image search: [Google]
QUESTIONS.jpg
294KB, 1256x2227px
"Godzilla was Yobisamasa its slumber by the hydrogen bomb test.
Not only in Japan, plunged the world into fear of destruction, Japan version of the 28 up to now from the first installment of 1954 (more precisely, has been produced also "Monster King Godzilla" as an overseas public version), overseas edition two works There have continued to hit the production and publication.
Such Godzilla is this summer the public as a new movie in Japan in 12 years since "Godzilla FINAL WARS" of 2004.
Really also landed in Tokyo this time of Godzilla. Do burned to the ground the city due to its great power?
Godzilla disinfection measures At the heart to work as team, and Yaguchi of deputy chief cabinet secretary, played Hiromi Hasegawa, Satomi Ishihara plays the United States Department of State agent come dispatched to Godzilla measures from Kayoko. Two people, what I think the face I wonder if you have to "thin-Godzilla" of this time."

^ Google translated text from this here: http://www2.myjcom.jp/special/column/hasegawahiroki_ishiharasatomi/?cid=sc_tw_column_hasegawahiroki_ishiharasatomi

The rumors have included tadpoles, red seas, and in the trailer see saw a curious arrangement of tanks. And Anno is writer and director. See pic related. Not sure if this is elaborate trolling or what. I guess we'll see in about a month.
>>
the final swerve is that this is also Rebuild 4
>>
Aaaaaaaaand the TK boards got a new mod. And it's likely someone from here since he has the "the cure for cancer is Tallgesse" gif. I wonder what he's relaying on the private mod board of doom.
>>
>>14429364

fuck off you fucking faggot. i can't go into a single godzilla thread lately without you spergs talking about another board.
>>
>>14429450

christ i'm so upset i called another website a board. fuck you.
>>
File: 95863209658036803325968.png (445KB, 900x1296px) Image search: [Google]
95863209658036803325968.png
445KB, 900x1296px
>>14429450
Big Beefshot?
>>
old timy TK member here, willing to answer questions anyone has
>>
>>14429570
Yeah? Well fuck off with your bullshit.
>>
File: acatreally.png (590KB, 677x380px) Image search: [Google]
acatreally.png
590KB, 677x380px
>>14429597
have a cat
>>
I'm calling Ghostbusters
>>
>>14429652
Looking forward to that new movie, the CGI blows the dated claymation effects out of the water. I doubt it'll be better than 2 though.
>>
Well, Minya was originally a 'tadpole' in 1967.
>>
File: pity you, foolish mortal.jpg (56KB, 337x233px) Image search: [Google]
pity you, foolish mortal.jpg
56KB, 337x233px
>>14429777
...But he wasn't. That's literally not true. Where did you hear that?
>>
>>14387413
>Godzilla isn't /m/
Does anyone say this? I mean we have kiryu and jet jag, what more do ya want?
>>
>>14388028

'84 is the Man of Steel of Godzilla movies. It's not badly shot, has its moments, but is overall kind of clunky and a drag.
>>
>>14430828
Meh, it's at least tolerable as a Godzilla film, and enjoyable--unlike MoS, which left a foul taste in my mouth by it's sheer mediocrity.
>>
File: 1457708165483.jpg (64KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1457708165483.jpg
64KB, 640x640px
>>14429570
>>
>>14429570
Was that shingoji "cartoonist' always retarded, or did he get worse over time?
>>
>>14429860

dude looks high as fuck. also what does 'minya' mean?
>>
File: 1467273745189.png (478KB, 716x639px) Image search: [Google]
1467273745189.png
478KB, 716x639px
>>14429336
What if the whole reason for Anno accepting this job as "Director"/Writer, was because he saw it as a way of "Escaping Eva" and in hopes of "Freeing himself" from the franchise?
>>
>>14433085
that's why it's such a swerve that it's really Eva all along
>>
>>14433152
Nothing surprises me when it comes to Anno. It's like a train wreak happening, and the one guy who survives goes to another train, just for it to have a wreak.
>>
>>14388544
Calm down, Japan has a smaller entertainment industry. Less at stake
>>
>>14433030
It's a mispronunciation of 'mini-la'.
>>
>>14433190
There was an interview a while back where the character designer of Evangelion (Sadamoto) threw his arms in the air and flat-out said that he has no idea what the fuck is going on with Anno's head anymore.
>>
>>14433030
Minya was a mispronunciation of "Minilla" which is "Minira" in Japanese. "Mini" means mini as in small, and "ira" was from the end of the word "Gojira".

Minilla is just the literal translation of it, but if the dubbers knew it meant that, they;d practically call him "Minizilla".
>>
File: Hideaki-Anno.jpg (24KB, 276x330px) Image search: [Google]
Hideaki-Anno.jpg
24KB, 276x330px
>>14434561
>>14433190
Anno is too insane for Toho, for better or worse.
>>
>>14434660
Or you know, like his history shows, he's just fucking terrible with handling time constraints and due dates.
>>
>>14434718
That's part of the worse
>>
>>14434561
Sadamoto is one of the few people that's still more associated with Gainax and doesn't have a permanent desk at khara. His involvement in rebuild diminished with every film so it's pretty obvious he's not the person to be asked about it.
>>
>>14432995
He always seemed vulgar to me, I don't know what happened to him after 2011.
>>
>>14434718
I know Anno isn't the most reliable guy on the industry but to be fair, Toho demand changes. We don't know why yet
>>
>>14429328
>Not sure if this is elaborate trolling or what.
It's less likely trolling and more likely Anno reusing his favorite imagery and themes like he ALWAYS does.
>>
File: 1373382883872.gif (372KB, 500x497px) Image search: [Google]
1373382883872.gif
372KB, 500x497px
That shitty rumor about him being controlled by a parasite designed like an angel from eva is false right?
>>
>>14435348
So far it looks like a rumor on all accounts.

Lots of people have hate-boners for Anno, but he's too big a fan of Toku and Godzilla to unceremoniously kill him off for the sake of a very stupid joke.
>>
>>14402722
NIIIIICE
>>
File: twtter_ttl.jpg (247KB, 700x600px) Image search: [Google]
twtter_ttl.jpg
247KB, 700x600px
is this official? Eva x Goji merch?

http://www.bpnavi.jp/kuji/item/1569
>>
>>14387413
>>This is the first time Godzilla has appeared in this universe.
Boring.
I like how Legendary dealt with it. Godzilla having appeared earlier n history, but it was just now coming to public light.
If this is just a generic reboot like 1984, I can't see myself enjoying it.
>>
>>14417851
Wouldn't things just go on as normal, like with his lackluster Cutie Honey movie?
>>
File: geva-04-crop-u70936.png (356KB, 446x412px) Image search: [Google]
geva-04-crop-u70936.png
356KB, 446x412px
>>14437344
>>
>>14437344
welcome to april 1st
>>
>>14437380
What didn't you like about '84?
>>
>>14435348
It's fake, it was started by a Member on TK's Forums, for the lols.
The guy even talked about how he thought people should've known it was fake since it sounded "Fake", but he failed to realized that he posted it on TK Forums of all places.

>>14437835
Not Anon, but it was boring.
I've never liked the idea of a Solo Godzilla film, aside from 1954, but 1954 wasn't supposed to be just a "Monster film".
If Super X wasn't a element in the movie, the movie would've dragged a hell of a lot more that it did.
>>
>>14437380
Nope. It's a totally original retelling completely abandoning the whole oxygen destroyer thing.

Kill me.
>>
>>14434819
Wait, which one? Post pics?
>>
>>14426112
Wait, Godzilla is a tadpole and wlaks on four legs at one point?

Please, somebody say it ain't so. Any authenticity to these claims?
>>
File: 50321469_p1.png (229KB, 500x574px) Image search: [Google]
50321469_p1.png
229KB, 500x574px
>>14387446
>LP's Godzilla currently isn't in the best state.
>>14387963
>semi-successful

But I thought the movie was a huge success and that it sold like cupcakes?
>>
>>14439656
Actually, if we calculate inflation, it performed about the same (if not worse) as Godzilla 1998, a movie that is often referred to as a flop. It pretty much tanked in some international markets, and even in Japan it underperformed, although not terribly.

The only reason it did as well is the opening: it had great opening numbers, but it lost much of its audience the following week, and after that it continued to do decent but mediocre business. Even the sequels were announced based on the opening gross alone, not the total revenue. Granted, it is normal nowadays for attendances to drop significantly, especially when there's so much competition between big blockbuster movies. But whereas stuff like the Transformers movies or Jurassic World easily shot over a billion dollars, Godzilla 2014's half a billion looks less stellar in comparison.

Critical reception was okay (at least in the US, I heard otherwise from elsewhere but can't confirm it for myself), but audience reception was incredibly mixed, so the sequel will have to start basically from zero again to try and bring back crowds. With the sequel getting delayed and having lost its director, it isn't an exaggeration to say that the American branch of the franchise is not in the best shape.
>>
>>14439801
>a movie that is often referred to as a flop
Well I don't know about that, it's regarded as a horrible movie sure but I never heard anything about flopping. It was right up there with Saving Private Ryan in terms of sales.

But yeah the rest of your post is pretty grim and disheartening. I wasn't aware of the details.

>getting delayed and having lost its director
Man that's a shame, I thought only PacRim 2 had this issue out of the two.
>>
Hmm...
>>
>>14439833
>Well I don't know about that, it's regarded as a horrible movie sure but I never heard anything about flopping.
To be fair most people who say it bombed are your typical Godzilla fanatics who do everything to make that movie look as bad as possible, and random ignorant people who have heard about the movie being badly received in the states but haven't bothered to check the actual stats. Technically, it did indeed do shit business in the US compared to the studio's expectation.

But there are also people who think it was a monumental success (which is vastly overstating things), so it kinda evens out.
>>
File: godzilla2014_by_tabechan-d9of8mx.jpg (248KB, 868x1228px) Image search: [Google]
godzilla2014_by_tabechan-d9of8mx.jpg
248KB, 868x1228px
>>14439801
Edwards already has problems with Rogue One

So I guess somehow it also impacted on G2, much like F4 shot Trank's career although it's probably not as worse

Godzilla 2014 wasn't a sequel and had to made up for the shitfest that was G98 (reminder that Kaiju movies are more or less a niche, I'm frenchfag and it's hard as fuck to find them in my country, G98 is still reference out there) so it's still a success, Pacific Rim didn't do large numbers either and it's still getting a sequel

Maybe the Kaiju cinematic universe will be canned after Kong, maybe not, but so far it's not alarming

And it isn't comparable to Transformers or Jurassic World, TF has a huge fanbase in USA and it was already the fourth sequel, JW came out 14 years after the last installment and it was a breath of fresh air against all the capeshit movies, plus it's the kind of blockbusters that appeal to a wide audience

SW7 "underperformed" also, but it was a huge success still
>>
File: shin-gojira-vs-godzilla-2014-60.jpg (165KB, 960x621px) Image search: [Google]
shin-gojira-vs-godzilla-2014-60.jpg
165KB, 960x621px
>>14440539
Plus, G2014 had probably a less expensive marketing campaign, even with 3 monsters it's obvious that there wasn't as much marchandise that there was for G98
MUTOS for example barely get any figures, only Godzilla

Reminder that G98 destroyed companies like Trendmasters that couldn't sell their marchandise thanks to the embargo on the design

Godzilla 2 will probably have more money for that
>>
>>14440560
Godzilla 2's also gonna be bringing out the big guns if that "We got the rights to Rodan, Mothra and Ghidorah" stuff translates to "Ghidrah the Three Headed Monster" remake for the sequel.

Of course, with how vague the status of Godzilla 2 is now versus how Kong vs Godzilla seems to be sticking to its date, I'm almost wondering if they're considering having the films switch places and making Godzilla 2 into Godzilla 3.
>>
>>14440560
I bought a Zilla figure.
>>
>>14440539
I think you're putting too much blame on G98. Sure it was one of the largest disappointments in recent cinema history, though Star Wars recovered from two similar experiences. And of course Godzilla is a much less popular and less profitable property than Star Wars. However, based on opening weekend performances, it appears G14 would have done much better business if audiences were truly satisfied with it.
>>
I like how thin this fuckers arms are. Its like they only managed to regenerate the skin around the bone instead of the muscle.
Also, will this Godzilla slowly change as the movie goes?
>>
>>14440539
I know comparisons between the TF ans JP/JW franchises weren't exactly fair because, as you pointed out, they're far more mainstream than Godzilla. I was just using them to show that G14, although successful in its own right, wasn't the giant success some people think it was. And by bringing up G98, I just tried to put G14's box office results into perspective, since people (not in this thread, but in general) tend to think of the former as a monetary failure and the latter as an enormous moneymaker. In reality, it sadly isn't as clear-cut.

Though you're right that G98 was a commercial disaster in the merchandising department. The two movies' box office stats are similar (with inflation), but G98 was more costly and less marketable, so in that respect it *was* a failure. It's also why no sequel could be built upon it. G14, in spite of its mixed reception, performed well enough overall to warrant not only a sequel but talks of a cinematic universe. It could still correct its mistakes and get big.

But as you said, the kaiju genre is niche as fuck, which is why G98 still lingers in the mind of your average pleb and why G14's "nostalgia factor" had such limited appeal in the global market -- I should know, I'm eastern yuro, and G98 was and still is retardedly huge here, but good luck trying to find anyone who'd admit to liking G14, or any of the Japanese movies... or even knowing they exist.

So while G14 did well for being based on a niche genre, it didn't bring about the "breakthrough" that would make the franchise mainstream. The creators should have focused more on polishing all aspects of the movie, not just the kaiju side. They talked a lot about bringing Godzilla back to basics and staying true to the original movies, which was all nice to the fans, but I doubt the wider consumer base really cared about this. They just wanted a good movie with actual characters, no cock-tease fights, and no deceptive trailers.

>>14440716
I only got a shitty bootleg.
>>
>rewatching Godzilla 2000
Probably has one of the best ending fight scenes. The final attack on Orga, the perfect blend of cgi /suit, military guy lighting a cig in front of Godzilla, etc.
>>
>>14440868
So do yuros just have shit taste in general?

Why in the name of God would anyone look at the mass of hubris 98 was and say with a straight face that they prefer it over any other Godzilla movie?
>>
>>14440560
>Reminder that G98 destroyed companies like Trendmasters that couldn't sell their marchandise thanks to the embargo on the design
Oh man you don't even know the fucking half of it
>Doom Island/Godzilla series 3 shit was cancelled to save up resources and cash for G98
>That one infamous Kumonga toy they did that had battle armor and rocket launchers
>Those Godzilla figures that had pop-out mutation parts
>Manda figure
>Baragon figure
>Megalon figure
>Varan figure
>Kamauras figure
>Godzilla vs Dinosaurs. GODZILLA FUCKING UP A T.REX
>Anguirus with battle armor and fucking bazookas on his back
>A 10 inch Biollante figure that fits in with 6' Bandai vinyls P E R F E C T L Y
And then don't forget that we never got Godzilla: the Series shit due to 98 either
>No Robo-Yeti
>No 10 inch Zilla Jr and Cyber Zilla with missles
>no Nick Randy and Nigel with oversized ridiculous rocket launcher weapons

We live in one of the worst possible timelines ever
>>
File: Godzilla_1994_Concept_2.jpg (116KB, 629x840px) Image search: [Google]
Godzilla_1994_Concept_2.jpg
116KB, 629x840px
>>14440868
I may be wrong, but I think G2014 made more than Pacific Rim
So I guess we're safe

G98 was fucking huge at the time, plus it's been years you can see it on TV at least one or two times per year
I have a friend that say G98 was better than G2014 it's infuriated me so much

I think we will be fixed with Godzilla 2

>>14442117
There's one faggot that owns basically every prototype for these lines, because he was lucky enough to pick them for cheap on ebay after Trendmasters closed doors (in 2002 I think ?)

The G98 war far too huge for the movie, dozens of different Godzilla, various baby Godzilla figures, vehicules and characters. Plus, since there was an embargo, they couldn't sell them on time (basically when there's a line of toys with a movie, they sell them 3 weeks before the release and 3 weeks after then it's over)
So retailers didn't want any more figure since they were still G98 figures on shelves (btw it bothers me that they're expensive as fuck on ebay, they're not rare)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWKLwsSDMIs
> C-rex and Cyber-Godzilla never ever

>We live in one of the worst possible timelines ever

Sometimes I wonder how things would've turned on if they made the Godzilla 1994 cancelled project, if done right it would've been groundbreaking (and Bill Paxton would've been a huge star I think, poor guy)
>>
>>14442621
>I have a friend that say G98 was better than G2014
Sounds like /co/
>>
>>14442765
Nah, that's a /tv/ opinion
>>
>>14442768
/tv/ doesn't have opinions. They just want to fuel their meme magic with some dank phrases and contrarian kino taste.
>>
>>14442765
Honestly I think Emmerich is a troll of some sort

I mean ID4 is far too cliche to not be a satire

G98 is basically taking an indestructible dinosaur that breath fire and took shit from no one and transform it into a coward giant lizard that has no traits of the original Godzilla
It's too obvious he wanted to piss off the fans
>>
>>14442909
Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich were pretty open with how much contempt they had for the source material in the leadup to Godzilla 98's release
>>
>>14442912
It's pretty retarded to dump the DeBont's project

G98 ended up costing as much as the cancelled G94

3 monsters were in it, marketing wise it was great

Respect to the source material

Franchise builder (I read synopsis of the cancelled sony Godzilla 2 and they definitely shoot them in the foot)
>>
>>14441307
There's plenty of possible explanations:
>nostalgiafagging 90s kids who grew up on atrocious 90s Hollywood films (pretty much the same folk who like the Star Wars prequels over the original films because "muh CGI")
>fantasy, sci-fi and monster movies weren't really shown here outside of a few hyped-up American ones, so G98 was the first exposure to giant monsters for many people and they can't accept anything else
>decades of Soviet oppression wrecked the public's taste in entertainment
>people hate Japanese media in general, we don't even get anime
>come on, this shit is not exclusive to yurop, giant monster flicks were considered the lowest of the low for decades even in the US (also, I read that G98 was a huge hit in places like India too)

And it's also fueled by ignorance. To this day I see people on the net asserting that Godzilla was originally an American movie, and many plebeians think the Japanese ones are actually cheap ripoffs. When G14 came out, all the 98fags came out in force, bitching over how Edwards has ruined Emmerich's original masterpiece.

And I'm not kidding. Some unironically call the movie a masterpiece. I've seen people who genuinely thought that it didn't get a sequel because it was so good that the creators didn't want to jump the shark. Really. Most American Godzilla fanboys have no idea how big of an impact the movie had on the worldwide market. It continues sabotaging the franchise even in the present. You ask how anyone can prefer G98 over the other movies, people I talked to are asking the opposite.

These differences in international movie consumption are part of the reason why G14 didn't do better and why I can't see any new Toho films getting a wide release. In some markets, the original Godzilla brand is basically unsellable, whereas people are still willing to eat up Emmerich's shit and are demanding for more.

There are exceptions, though. Like Germany, where old kaiju movie actually have a history and a fandom.
>>
>>14442933
>Respect to the source material
It's interesting, thinking back. Both the canceled 80s American Godzilla project and DeBont's proposed adaptation were bashed for rewriting Godzilla's origin, leaving out the nuclear allegories and presenting him as a monster who had special powers to begin with.

In retrospect, they don't sound as blasphemous anymore. Even Godzilla 2014 took a similar route.
>>
>>14442985
>bitching over how Edwards has ruined Emmerich's original masterpiece
I am triggered.
>>
>>14442985
It's like /tv/ and /co/ merged together and crossed over into the physical realm.

Russia can have eastern euro, no intelligent thought will ever be produced there.
>>
File: 9WM3ToM.jpg (97KB, 700x864px) Image search: [Google]
9WM3ToM.jpg
97KB, 700x864px
New Thread:
>>14443083
>>14443083
>>14443083
>>
>>14443019
>It's like /tv/ and /co/ merged together and crossed over into the physical realm.
That's giving these people much credit. Add autistic YouTube comments to the mix with a hint of Reddit, and you're closer to the truth.
>>
>>14443019
>>14443120
Why do you guys lump /co/ with the 98fags? They're more a "Base perception of Godzilla around 70s movies like Megalon" group.
>>
>>14443019
Hey, don't shit on only Eastern Europe. I read comments from multiple Swedish kaiju nerds who say Emmerich's movie is particularly beloved over there.
>>
>>14444444
Thread posts: 343
Thread images: 92

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.