[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What should I watch?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: HelpANewfag.jpg (52KB, 500x461px) Image search: [Google]
HelpANewfag.jpg
52KB, 500x461px
Dear /m/,
Lurker here, only about a week ago did I have time again to start watching anime again since kiddietimes; what are the standard /m/ recommendations? Thinking of starting Gundam; what's worth watching in UC? Would appreciate non-Gundam recommendations also.

Also, I just finished Neon Genesis Evangelion, watched EoE last night, and my head is still spinning. Are there any other series known for being *up there* in storytelling? Thanks.
>>
>>14375031
>Gundam
Watch 0079 SERIES, then watch Zeta (the series, not the movies), then take a month-long break from Gundam. Then, watch ZZ and Char's Counterattack. Also, late UC is good, so watch F91 and Victory. I didn't watch the rest, so I have no opinion about 0080, 0083 or Unicorn.
>>
>>14375031
Big O, VOTOMS, Mazinger, Dai-Guard
>>
>>14375031
>Are there any other series known for being *up there* in storytelling?
Eva is not even close to having literary merit and the fact that you say it does honestly makes me think this is a bait thread. But I'll bite. If you liked Eva, watch Fafner. It's the same thing, but better.

I'll also suggest Gunbuster because it's short, good, and also encompasses most of what you'd likely see in a mecha show picked at random

I also suggest Full Metal Panic. It's not too long, easy for most people to get into, and The Second Raid in particular is pretty great

Look into VOTOMS if you're ready for something longer and more grounded and creative in its fights

If you want something a little more wild and crazy, the Giant Robo OVA is as good as any place to start. Gorgeous animation and a decent story
>>
>>14375131
These are good recommendations. Watch them.

Watching Full Metal Panic only gets you half of the story, though. You have to read the novels or the manga to get the better half.
>>
>>14375146
I know Kyoani picked up the rest of the novels. Did they give a timeframe for when they'll release the rest
>>
>>14375254
Might as well read the manga. TSR is nice but the first series was a pretty bad adaptation.
>>
>>14375031
f you want to get into Gundam then follow what >>14375107 said.
I'd recommend watching 0080 and 0083 between Zeta and ZZ. Prepare for a dramatic shift in tone for the first 20 epsisodes of ZZ from the end of Zeta.
After you're done with Char's Counterattack watch Unicorn.

After that you can go into F91 and Victory if you want to, or you can branch out to AU stuff.
Worthile AU shows are G, X, 00, Seed, Turn A and Build Fighters.

Ignore Wing, Seed Destiny, AGE, IBO and Build Fighters Try.
>>
>>14375266
Gonzo did the first one, while Kyoani did TSR. If they're covering the rest as well, we'll probably be okay.

Besides, I heard the differences between the various versions were minimal
>>
>>14375107
>>14375270
Awesome, that sounds like a plan, thanks. You said watch the series, why not the movies?

>>14375131
Eh, that's my newness showing through. I'll check these out, thanks.
>>
>>14375362
The movie trilogy for 0079 is great when you want to rewatch the series in a shorter amount of time, but they cut out a lot of characterisation and side stories that help you really bond with the cast. I couldn't recommend them on a first run through though.

The movies for Zeta are an abhorrent butchery of the series, the only good they offer is a couple of well coreographed action sequences. They also change the ending from the original to try and retcon ZZ from ever happening.
>>
File: Info Chart2.png (2MB, 949x1072px) Image search: [Google]
Info Chart2.png
2MB, 949x1072px
I'd also have to agree with >>14375131 for a good start.

Gunbuster shares the same director/writer as Evangelion if that matters to you, but it's a very, very different experience, less influenced by his depression. It has a sequel made several years later too, Diebuster, that's more polarizing, but worth watching all the way through at least once. Both are only six episodes long, so would make an easy start.

Fafner is one of several shows from the early 2000's that might come across as overly reminiscent of Eva at first, but it becomes its own thing and takes a big leap in quality thanks to a writer switch halfway through the first season. There are a few installments now and they're all sequential, pic related might help with sorting them out. /m/ also has pretty regular Fafner threads if you have any specific questions.
>>
>>14375282
The author actually had a decent level of involvement in the anime adaptations (particularly TSR), so there weren't that many notable changes, and most of them were for the better if you ask me. Like Gates.

I'd still recommend reading the manga, though. It's quite good.
>>
>>14375395
The MSG movies are fine on their own and good for the casual fan. The series is far better for mecha fans, its inclusion of deeper military and political aspects is great.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.