[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Star Trek Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 319
Thread images: 79

File: uhura.gif (323KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
uhura.gif
323KB, 900x675px
Let's have a Star Trek thread, /m/.

What was your favorite series? Favorite movie? Thoughts on this upcoming series next year where all we have so far is a glorified "flying through space" screensaver and a voice-over?

I've been watching TOS. Is The Animated Series worth it or should I just go ahead to the movies after I finish the live action show? I have a huge crush on Uhura. Do any of the books focus on her much?

Also, what are the best Star Trek video games?
>>
File: sexual organs.jpg (37KB, 528x544px) Image search: [Google]
sexual organs.jpg
37KB, 528x544px
"Commander, tell me about your sexual organs."
>>
>>14366113
I'm nowhere near TNG yet. Still only like two episodes into season two of TOS.
>>
>>14366077
TAS is surprisingly not bad. It doesn't really influence any later continuity but there's some fun stories, more goofy season 3 type shit, and occasionally they get really good.
>Thoughts on this upcoming series next year where all we have so far is a glorified "flying through space" screensaver and a voice-over?
You'll soon understand why Nicholas Meyer being on board is important when you get to the movies.
I don't know for certain but I'd be shocked if there wasn't at least a couple of books focusing on Uhura. Also there's nudes of Nichelle.
>>
>>14366077
TNG and DS9 tie for me.

I think Picard and Data really steal the show in TNG, whereas DS9 is an ensemble series where every character at some point gets to shine. Also, DS9 has the benefit of not having TNG's first two seasons and its season seven.
But I love the adventure in TNG, and the lighthearted banter, and the /comfy/
DS9's writing was, for the most part, more solid, and by nature, had clearer direction. In retrospect, its really impressive how they managed to build the entire show around the encounter and war with the Dominion with expert foreshadowing and build up. I wasn't crazy about the payoff (the last mega battles were okay, the ground combat was okay, the eventual conclusion of the Dominion was okay, Sisko's conclusion was ehhh) but the ending was bittersweet, and made me feel.

Both great shows, too bad Voyager came out, then later Enterprise.
>>
>>14367028
>TAS is surprisingly not bad. It doesn't really influence any later continuity but there's some fun stories, more goofy season 3 type shit, and occasionally they get really good.
Cool.
>You'll soon understand why Nicholas Meyer being on board is important when you get to the movies.
Okay, cool. Thanks.
>I don't know for certain but I'd be shocked if there wasn't at least a couple of books focusing on Uhura.
Sweet. I'll look into it some more.
>Also there's nudes of Nichelle.
Yeah, there are. Found them when I was looking for fakes.
>>14367047
Glad to hear the show will continue to be good later on. Though I hear it tones down the weird space adventure, which I think is unfortunate.
>>
>>
File: 7792383014_4d37c5cc80_o.jpg (1MB, 1920x1272px) Image search: [Google]
7792383014_4d37c5cc80_o.jpg
1MB, 1920x1272px
>>
Are there any board games, wargames, video games, simulations, whatever, that will let really lose myself in Star Trek, possibly with such a level of detail that much of 4chan might call it "autistic?"

I want to customize ships, pick an era of ST and simulate ship-to-ship battles that might occur then, maybe take boarding actions, and so on.
>>
File: st.gif (482KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
st.gif
482KB, 320x240px
>>14366113
inseminating a husk....
>>
File: starfleet battles.jpg (222KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
starfleet battles.jpg
222KB, 960x1280px
>>14367552
I've heard the old Star Fleet Battles line did that sort of thing
>>
>>14367552
Bridge Commander with mods is probably your best bet.
>>
File: 1440484074238.gif (2MB, 200x222px) Image search: [Google]
1440484074238.gif
2MB, 200x222px
>>14366077
>What was your favorite series?
Hard to say. My favorites are ToS, TNG and DS9. Haven't seen TAS yet but I plan on doing so.
>Favorite movie?
Star Trek II.
>Thoughts on this upcoming series
Please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good
>>
My five second mission: To boldly bump threads no man has bumped before.
>>
>>14367575
The Star Fleet Command line of PC games was a simplified real-time version of Star Fleet Battles, if you don't have anyone to play SFB against. SFC2:Orion Pirates even had a campaign conquest mode where your nation conquered or lost map squares based on your performance in individual battles.
>>
>friend insists TNG is the best Star Trek has ever been
I've only watched TOS and it was damn good. Is TNG really better? I tried watching it and kind of lost interest three episodes in.
>>
>>14366077

Abrams movies
>>
>>14372659
What about them?
>>
>>14367535
Dont remind me of those hideous pancake ships from ENT.
>>
>>14372661

I like them the most DESU
>>
>>14372655
First two seasons are hit and miss and in the last season they were running out of ideas.

Overall though it's a good solid show.
>>
I honestly enjoy most of them, sans the new movies and Voyager.

Haven't seen Enterprise, though. Always keep putting it off.

TNG will have a special place in my life because I enjoy Riker's desire to sleep with everything and get everyone to sleep with everything with him. His attempts at getting Picard to unwind and get laid are always fun.
>>
>>14372690
Enterprise is something i really wanted to enjoy however they took the worst from Voyager and brought back Berman and Braga
who ran out of new ideas back in season 7 of TNG and let them run wild with terrible plots and the crew being written commiting
outright atrocities. They finally got rid of fuck and fucker but by then
the damage was done. The new guys tried hard but it was too late.

Then for reasons noone understood they brought B&B back for the final episode to deliver their "Gift" to Trek fans.

The episode so bad only the "Archer and Philox genocide an entire race the agree'd to help" episode beats it.
>>
>>14372710
>Archer
I haven't watched Enterprise and now all I can imagine is a "space ship crew adventures" type show that's basically pic related.

I WANT IT.
>>
>>14372721
The thing is that Archer would have been not only better but more coherent than what we got.

Instead we got a character who made Janeway at her worst look like a bastion of rational thought.
>>
>>14372690
Enterprise is OK, I really liked its pilot but the first couple of seasons were ok to meh. It was the later seasons where it got good and they found their stride. Its kinda disappointing since some of the best episodes occurred in the last season when it was canceled (the episodes that revolved around the formation of the federation were really interesting).

I've liked all of the shows. Voyage is special to me since its the first Star Trek series I watched all the way through since our family watched every episode when they were released. What I like about all of the series is that they all have something different to offer. TOS introduced the series. TNG expanded on the concepts and explored the species like the Romulans and Klingons to a greater degree. Deep Space Nine was grounded in a singular place and dealt with politics between the various factions. And Voyager introduced a new section of the Milky Way.

I don't mind the new movies, I consider them Star Trek but I realize that a traditional Star Trek story would not work on the big screen since large portions of the population would find it "boring".

Also just started to watch the Animated series for the first time and I've really enjoyed it.
>>
File: Vulcan_youths.jpg (75KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Vulcan_youths.jpg
75KB, 1024x768px
>>14372730
Part of Quantum Leap's deal was he was supposed to be discovering how to be a Trek captain for future generations, so that's why was fucking terrible at it a lot early on, then by the time we got to the fifth season and Shran joined and it started to look like the 1701 then Sam would start to get his shit together.
>>14372731
>Also just started to watch the Animated series for the first time and I've really enjoyed it.
yeah it can get silly but when it's solid it's really great
>>
>>14372767
I expected it to be somewhat silly considering the TOS has some silly concepts as well. I think its a rather clever continuation for the series considering the fact that Animation allowed them to try some try outlandish things and know the fans will accept it (to a degree).
>>
Shran was my absolute favorite character in Enterprise, he made me like the Andorians a whole lot. It pains me considering he was set to join the crew in the next season, but it was canceled before it could happen. He would have been a great addition to the crew.
>>
>>14372789
>I expected it to be somewhat silly considering the TOS has some silly concepts as well.
yeah when it's the followup to TOS season 3 it's a lot less jarring
>>
>>14372655
personally I like TOS> DS9>= TNG.

Although I also like Kirk a lot better than Sisko and then Picard.
>>
>>14366077
>series
Original, of course. It's kind of weird in some parts now, like how they didn't expect clouds to be visible from space, but still my favorite. TNG was good but not quite even with the original. DS9 had some good parts, especially later seasons, but mostly missed out on the whole "exploring the galaxy" angle.
>movie
Hard to pick. My first thought is Wrath Of Khan, so probably that one. I can't help wanting to mention the 20th Century shenanigans in Voyage Home and Kirk talking shit to "god" in Undiscovered Country, though.
"And what is your name?"
"Don't you know? AREN'T YOU GOD?"
>huge crush on Uhura
We all do, anon. She's probably the single biggest reason I was unable to accept racist concepts presented to me by my rural South Carolina neighbors. I don't want to be a part of any race that won't include Nichelle
Nichols.
>best Star Trek video games?
The Promethean Prophecy
>Take Phaser
You have taken the phaser.
>Set phaser on overload.
You have set the phaser on overload.
>Throw phaser at Mr. Spock
Spock catches the phaser and runs to the garbage chute. The phaser is ejected out into space just before it explodes.
>Remove pants
You have removed your pants
>Sit on main screen
You are now sitting on the bridge's main screen.
>Eat Lieutenant Uhura
You're hungry, it's true, but consider the indigestion.
>Fuck Lieutenant Uhura's pussy.
Such language coming from a starfleet officer!
>>
>>14373078

>Kirk talking shit to "god" in Undiscovered Country

That didn't happen.
>>
>>14372721
>T'Pol...
>T'Pol.
>T'Pol!
>*breath* T'POL!!!!
>Neutral Zone~
>>
Best of Both Worlds Part I aired 26 years ago today. ;_;
>>
>>14373151
> He probably got the subtitle wrong when he was thinking of V.

Picking Star Trek V as your favorite Star Trek film is absolutely retarded, though.
>>
File: 1407790352381.jpg (25KB, 300x440px) Image search: [Google]
1407790352381.jpg
25KB, 300x440px
>>14372767
Ent never really finished up its plot, since future Archer was supposed to be the big bad. Now we're getting that conclusion in the clusterfuck of Star Trek Online. I want to like the game, but I can't justify paying for ships with how much they screwed over the endgame to be casual mode. The early missions are fine, but the later 'seasons' tend to fuck with the lore quite a bit. At least we're finally getting an end game Connie, even if it is the JJ-verse one.

I do like the upcoming TOS missions, but I can't justify $120 for ship skins when I already have a fuckton of Fed ships.
>>
>>14373399
Never bring up the abortion of ENT's ending i didn't like the future archer stuff but damn looking at what we got it could have had
Phlox running around fapping on people and still been better.
>>
>>14372767
ENT getting canned right as it was finding it's footing and right before the ship upgrade is literally the most upsetting thing. Fucking NIGGERS 'N CHEESE.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItHcsIHshhs

Why was this so damn good, /m/? It's probably overrated and whatnot, but there's just something so eerie about it. up to the red light flashing at you.
>>
>>14373471
Borg were great until VOY turned em into "Jobbers of the Week"
>>
>>14373537

Weren't they kind sorta Jobbers after the Locutus shtick? I feel like they were truly a threat in First Contact.
>>
>>14373321
Yeah, that was Final Frontier, not Undiscovered Country.
And it's not my favorite film, it's just that one scene was very memorable. Not quite as memorable as Ricardo Montalban quoting Moby Dick, but more memorable than the actual events of Undiscovered Country.
>>
>>14372681
Then you are lost.
>>
>>14372721
Since they've clearly run out of ideas for the spy theme and Vice + detective series were a lot better than the one in between them I'd say Archer in Space is a logical next step. Would watch.
>>
>>14373883

Archer can live in the time when black astronauts aren't as rare as unicorns.
>>
Voyager isn't even that bad. I acknowledge that it wastes its potential, has inconsistent characters and has probably the most retarded Star Trek episode ever made. However it still has its fair share of good episodes, the production qualities are good and I actually like the characters most of the time, the Doctor being to obvious favourite.

Give Voyager a re-watch. If you're willing to swallow some dumb moments (which every Trek show requires) you might be pleasantly surprised by how much fun it is. Just either skip Threshold or watch it drunk.

Nostalgia helps, I admit.
>>
>>14373449
>ENT getting canned right as it was finding it's footing and right before the ship upgrade is literally the most upsetting thing
They were overconfident to think they'd get 7 seasons (or 10) out of the show. UPN kept speeding the fucking episode up too.
It would've been more realistic to plan for a 5 season series from the start, and devote 4 and 5 to the Romulans.

>>14373399
I'll sign up for STO if they fucking put in the NX refit already.
>>
>>14373883
I think the Private Detective thing could work for another season or two.
>>
>watch trailers for Beyond
>looks like a generic action movie
>literally has Uhura as the princess who needs rescuing whose trust in her captain coming to save her is supposed to prove she's brave
>only thing that might be entertaining is the dynamic between that white alien and Kirk, since I was actually amused by the whole "he likes that chair" thing
What happened?
>>
>>14374660
Extensive rewrites because the previous script was considered "too Star Trek-y". I wish I was joking.
>>
>>14372662
The only way it's ever made sense in my head is that since the Galaxy-class has a wider look to it than the Constitution-class, the trend would continue indefinitely into the future.
>>
>>14373553
Not really. The only Borg we see after BOBW is Hugh and that small group that got taken over by Lore. We don't see the Borg proper again in TNG until First Contact, where they were still a threat.
>>
>>14374663
Paramount's suits don't understand Trek at all, and it's depressing. Part of why I have no hope for the new tv series.
>>
>>14375265
Personally, I'm not giving up on it yet. They got Nicholas Meyer, the man behind two of Trek's best as a consultant, and the show's being helmed by Bryan Fuller, and from what he did with Hannibal, it's safe to say he's not averse to taking risks with a series.
>>
>>14375265
Paramount has nothing to do with the new series, though and they got a bunch of people who previously worked on Star Trek on board, including the writer/director of Wrath of Khan and The Undiscovered Country. I'm not exactly hyped, but I see no reason for pessimism either.
>>
>>14375327
Fuller's DS9/VOY work seems to indicate a habit of being attached to decent-to-good episodes. Nothing amazing but not too much godawful shit.
>>
>>14366077
that new teaser was made by someone that watches a lot of Dr Who
>>
>>14375453
I like Doctor Who but it didn't make sense to even release a trailer with no footage.

Hey, is Doctor Who /m/? Would it be if he had a robot companion like K-9 again?
>>
>>14375465
>it didn't make sense to even release a trailer with no footage

There is a difference between a trailer and a teaser.
>>
>>14375465
It's more /m/ than Garo and Godzilla.
>>
http://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-news/681336/Star-Trek-Anton-Yelchin-killed-car-crash-age-27

RIP
>>
>>14375727
Fucking hell.
>>
>>14375741
Fuck.
>>
>>14375727
>"found him pinned between his car and a brick mailbox, which was attached to a security gate".
What? Did he forget to engage the handbrake?
>>
>>14375799
Yeah, it's a pretty common thing people do if they think they'll only be away for a moment. Looks like his back was turned away from the car...ouch.
>>
File: tsfshd0643.jpg (91KB, 1600x672px) Image search: [Google]
tsfshd0643.jpg
91KB, 1600x672px
Post your ship-fu
>>
>>14375727
Too bad.
>>
File: 1415326624891.png (1MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1415326624891.png
1MB, 1600x900px
>>14376157
The best ships right here.
>>
>>14375727
Fuck, I loved that guy in Huff. Damn shame.
>>
File: CentaurClass.jpg (57KB, 589x389px) Image search: [Google]
CentaurClass.jpg
57KB, 589x389px
>>14376157
I like my nacelles hanging low. Skiing across the cosmos.
>>
>>14375727
Yknow, I always figured Koenig would've been the next one to go on the Trek deadpool.

It is a twisted cosmic joke that Yelchin gets pancaked instead. Damn what a way to go.
>>
>>14376157
never got the respect it deserved...
>>
Will we see the Dominion again as a threat? Because they were legitimately scary as fuck. Voyager made the Borg into a joke, but the Dominion was always treated as a major power that would fuck up the Federation. The fact that it took the combined forces of the Feds, Klingons, and Romulans to hold them off says a lot. And the Dominion never got the chance to fully commit its full strength since the Prophets sealed off the wormhole from further reinforcement. Imagine if those 2000+ Jem'Hadar ships hadn't been whisked away by the Prophets? There's no way in hell the alliance would've been able to thwart that force.
>>
File: Akira_class.jpg (75KB, 1200x632px) Image search: [Google]
Akira_class.jpg
75KB, 1200x632px
I've always liked the Akira Class
>>
File: Oberth_Class_Starship.jpg (40KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
Oberth_Class_Starship.jpg
40KB, 800x450px
She may be small and kind of awkward, but I love her.
>>
>>14374253
I finished Voyager 3 years ago during undergrad. My roommate Patrice was a huge Trekkie and convinced me to watch it. Voyager is legitimately crap outside of a few gems here and there. The best characters are the ones you've posted in the pic. Seven and the Doctor interacting and finding common ground as non-conventional beings on Voyager made this series tolerable.

Year of Hell and Equinox is the sort of stuff that Voyager SHOULD have been about. A worn-out crew far from home and doing whatever it takes to survive.
>>
>>14376511
It's a gimick nothing more sadly.

>>14376530
I liked it untill they tipped it upside down and gave it to a guy even more schizo and hypocritical than Janeway.

Now it keeps reminding me of ENT.
>>
So what's up with Renegades? Wasn't it going to be a show?

I wouldn't mind seeing what kind of challenges you could throw at a crew like that.
>>
Is there reason to watch in order and not to (for instance) start TNG while I'm still watching TOS?
>>
>>14377042
Not really
>>
>>14375332
>>14375327
>>14375265
What I'm worried about most is that I understand it's only going to be broadcast on some proprietary streaming service from CBS.
>>
>>14376784
>So what's up with Renegades? Wasn't it going to be a show?
no
it was one of those fan productions that got some cast members to help
it was never, ever going to be a thing
none of those ever will
>>14376528
>Will we see the Dominion again as a threat?
If they're not the bad guys in FlareTrek3Fast3Furious then no, they will never appear in a major role again.
>>
>>14377540
It's getting international TV licensing and the teaser made it sound like it might get airtime on CBS as well.
>>14378595
Man, I can't wait for the JJverse to skip along to TNG. You thought Action Picard from the TNG movies was bad? You ain't seen nothing yet.
>>
>>14378631
I doubt they'll continue FlareTrek past 3, but Action Picard with a different Picard might not be as jarring as with Patrick Stewart.
I did like that episode where it was Die Hard, though.
>>
>Action Picard
What if it's Tom Hardy?
>>
>>14378750
>I doubt they'll continue FlareTrek past 3
Yeah, especially now that nu-Chekov is dead. The fact that they dropped Abrams already implied they don't expect this third movie to do much.

>>14378826
Crashing this starship with no survivors?
>>
>>14378750
>>14378631
Revengeance Picard was great though.
Though that just comes with Patrick Stewart being that good of an actor.

I'm sure a more sincere look at a less refined Picard or one that isn't the modern paragon of Trek Captain could be done, but you know damn well trying to beat Patrick Stewart at his own game is not going to work.

Besides, not even alternate timelines will stop people from sperging out over whether or not the casting department could find another cueball for the role; imagine all the ribbings of "Hair Trek" that'll ensue if Flaretrek Picard isn't bald.

At this point I think it's easier to skip to DS9 and get an expanded look at the life and times of Sisko. Starring John Boyega.
>>
>>14378887
That's a big hyperdrive
>>
>>14378929
it does Warp Factor 4you
>>
>>14378953
They expect one of us in the Kobayashi Maru, brother
>>
>>14375727
2016 wins again.
>>
File: T6 temporal ships.jpg (269KB, 882x940px) Image search: [Google]
T6 temporal ships.jpg
269KB, 882x940px
>>14372662
They are gonna introduce those pancake ships in STO next month.
>>
File: Hood_with_Enterprise-D.jpg (378KB, 1188x891px) Image search: [Google]
Hood_with_Enterprise-D.jpg
378KB, 1188x891px
>>14376460
You know, I can't see an Excelsior as anything other than a muscle car. Like, the Constitution is a reasonable coupe, and the Galaxy is a great big van, but the Exelsior is a rumbling grumbling street-hugging gremlin.
>>
File: spiritfull.jpg (2MB, 4000x1525px) Image search: [Google]
spiritfull.jpg
2MB, 4000x1525px
>>14376157
>>
>>14379248
It says alot about em that the Eternal and Ouroboros both look bulkier than the damn cruisers.
>>
>>14379248
So have they finally learned the lesson that noone wants a hyper fragile raider if it doesn't have a battle cloak yet or not?
>>
>>14376157
The one in front.
>>
File: tumblr_o2s9jyWYDD1rzu2xzo2_1280.jpg (63KB, 782x408px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o2s9jyWYDD1rzu2xzo2_1280.jpg
63KB, 782x408px
>>14376157
>>
>>14379307
It looks like the engineering section of an Excelsior-class fucked the SSV Normandy.
>>
File: tumblr_o1yerqYKVW1tch951o1_1280.jpg (311KB, 1280x961px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o1yerqYKVW1tch951o1_1280.jpg
311KB, 1280x961px
>>14380209
>>
File: Ent-D refit.webm (2MB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
Ent-D refit.webm
2MB, 720x540px
>>14376157
>>
Do full-blooded Vulcans legitimately experience zero emotion under any circumstances?
>>
>>14381276
not at all
they use logic and shit to keep it in check, but they totally experience it
like when Sarek ran out of logic and became crazy
>>
>>14381276
Vulcans are the same species as Romulans, they've just learned to suppress displaying their emotions.
>>
>>14381279
So basically they're Stoics (in the classical sense) and use logic to think their way out of feelings that it's unreasonable to have?
>>
>>14381284
yeah otherwise they go super crazy and make psychic death rays at each other
>>
>>14381290
...I fucking love Star Trek.
>>
Can anybody recommend me some anime or novels (that aren't Star Trek) based on my love of Star Trek, particularly TOS?
>>
Do you think if they have a female captain in the new Star Trek, maybe they'll manage to do it without it sucking this time?
>>
File: SpaceShips01.jpg (316KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
SpaceShips01.jpg
316KB, 1600x1200px
>>
>>14379284
So what would a Sovereign or Prometheus be? I've always liked Mirandas myself. The Intrepid is a sexy ship too.
>>
File: USS_Sitak_and_USS_Majestic_hit.jpg (37KB, 690x527px) Image search: [Google]
USS_Sitak_and_USS_Majestic_hit.jpg
37KB, 690x527px
>>14381663
>I've always liked Mirandas myself
>>
File: image.jpg (72KB, 598x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72KB, 598x800px
>>14381663
Prometheus?
>>
>>14382025
Oi, Dairugger, no dimension-jumping!
>>
Any good recommendations for thorough reviews/discussions of Star Trek episodes?
>>
>>14381284
Yeah, they try but it's all a big game of pretend and any Vulcan who sticks around for more than a single episode will accidentally let some emotion slip through and then pretend it didn't happen.

I mean god damn, are smugness and superiority emotions, because in Spock's second episode ever he's shown to be smug as fuck while saying "Ah, yes one of your HUMAN emotions' with a smile.
>>
>>14369512
Underrated
>>
>>14381301
Space Dandy.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_fan_productions

What of this is worth looking into? Normally I'd decide for myself but there's a fuckload.
>>
Why can fanfilms and such legally use kickstarter for the production of something that violates copyright? Not that I mind; I don't believe in intellectual property. But it seems strange that they allow it.
>>
Would people be less bitter about the action-oriented direction they've taken the movies if they were GOOD action movies?

>Donnie Yen as Sulu
>no jump-cuts in the middle of fights
>tells a good story with lots of heart
>special effects from JJtrek but without all the lens flare
>>
>>14383273
I mostly liked what I've seen of the PhaseII/ The New Voyages / Whatever that the Elvis impersonator made. The one with Takei as Sulu The Barbarian was pretty cool.
>>
>>14384408

First Contact is a good action movie and a lot of people hate that
>>
File: Vesta-01.jpg (293KB, 1600x803px) Image search: [Google]
Vesta-01.jpg
293KB, 1600x803px
>>14376157
Aventine forever.
>>
>>14382299
Well, Spock has the excuse of being half human.
>>
>>14376157
She deserved a better fate than what was forced upon her.

RIP
>>
>>14384408
No, I just want fucking Star Trek. I don't want Die Hard. I don't want Bablyon 5. I don't want anime. I want Star Trek on a huge screen. I went them to do science things for 2 hours on an iMAX screen. That's it.
>>
>>14384672
>I went them to do science things for 2 hours on an iMAX screen.
So you only like TMP?
>>
>>14384672

So you hated Wrath of Khan, Search For Spock, Voyage Home, First Contact?

Do you ONLY like The Motion Picture, Undiscovered Country, and the TNG movie about the indians that was just a really long episode?
>>
>>14384750
Undiscovered Country had a lot of similarities to Wrath of Khan anyway.
>>
Of all the Star Trek fanseries, is there one that's a prequel to TOS, centered on the adventures of Captain Pike?

I feel like given how emotionally tired he was in the events leading up to The Cage, it could get more complex and darker than TOS ever did.
>>
>>14383273
Star Trek Continues does a great job of capturing the cheesiness of the original series.
>>
>>14384975
>cheesiness
Or sanctimoniousness, at least. The Mirror Universe episode is a highlight for Vic Mignogna's hammy performance, but you can skip the "let's shoot a movie with our Civil War reenactor buddies" episode.
>>
>>14384750
What, The Motion Picture wasn't also just a really long episode?
>>
>>14385064

Yeah but it's not to the film's detriment. The problem TMP is that it's boring.
>>
>>14385064
TMP isn't really much of an extended episode, it's just extended period. Those long-ass flight sequences that don't add anything, that nonsensical wormhole slo-mo fest, etc. It's excruciating.
>>
>>14385133
It was literally an episode extension though. It was based on one of the episodes planned for the Phase II series. The others ended up as TNG episodes.
>>
File: image.jpg (45KB, 500x368px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45KB, 500x368px
>>14385145
TMP is basically a bigger and longer version of "The Changeling", the episode about Nomad.
>>
>>14385145
That exmplains so fucking much about early TNG.

Doesn't stop the movie from sucking any less.
>>
>>14383273
I'm going to go a bit different from what everyone else is going to say, and vote for Odyssey. It's like a better version of Voyager, at least for as long as it goes, and they nailed the command team dynamic perfectly.

Technically Hidden Frontier comes first, as it introduces some of the characters, and Helena Chronicles runs alongside, but I was able to watch Odyssey fine without having all the background, and then I went back and watched the rest later.
>>
>>14385296
Back in the early 90s there were a ton of unauthorized books that managed to scrap together submitted scripts and what didn't make it from Phase II into TNG at the library. It was some terrible shit. The writer's strike didn't help either.
>>
File: Xon_Phase_II.jpg (22KB, 503x480px) Image search: [Google]
Xon_Phase_II.jpg
22KB, 503x480px
>>14385296
I think a lot of the early "gosh you humans are the coolest shit" Data was bits they thought of for Xon and just threw on to Data because they hadn't yet figured out what to do with Questor2.0
>>
I thought Tasha and Worf were going to get some more relationship points after what she said at the beginning of Skin of Evil. I was extremely disappointed by her death, Tasha might of been the only humie to handle some Worf.
>>
File: aproachv'ger.jpg (39KB, 600x278px) Image search: [Google]
aproachv'ger.jpg
39KB, 600x278px
>>14366113
I am approaching the V'ger orifice
>>
>>14366113
Correct response: "Let's have coffee and tell each other all about our sexual organs, shall we?"
>>
>>14372655
I think Picard is a better embodiment for Gene's idea of what Starfleet stood for. He makes tough decisions and uses his egg shaped head. Thats why I like TNG better at least.
>>
File: 1326222176292.gif (74KB, 600x970px) Image search: [Google]
1326222176292.gif
74KB, 600x970px
>>14381663
>So what would a Sovereign or Prometheus be?

Sovereigns were specifically stated to be Cadillacs; long, sleek, elegant but still fast and powerful.

Prometheus would be some sort of exotic supercar with exotic features like Lambo doors or the Bugatti Veyron's W16 engine.
>>
>>14367541
Very nice.
I only wish they had used some LEDs.
>>
File: no god please no.gif (3MB, 240x196px) Image search: [Google]
no god please no.gif
3MB, 240x196px
http://1701news.com/node/1209/treks-prime-universe-closed-business.html
>>
File: kirk_rage.gif (3MB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
kirk_rage.gif
3MB, 620x400px
>>14385819
NO
NO
FUCKING
NO
NOOOOO
>>
File: KirkDisintegrated.jpg (274KB, 455x669px) Image search: [Google]
KirkDisintegrated.jpg
274KB, 455x669px
>>14385819
>>
File: Odyssey_schematic.jpg (90KB, 600x876px) Image search: [Google]
Odyssey_schematic.jpg
90KB, 600x876px
STO's Odyssey class is my baby. U.S.S. Ramiel. Tanky and can deal out the hurt
>>
>>14385819
>claiming STO's fucked up time travel plot is a "sign"
By that logic the series could just as likely be set in the 26th century prime timeline because STO is getting the Enterprise J.
>>
>>14380357
It's a testbed for the QS drive it was never intended for anything else.
>>
>>14385958
Hell of alot better than the pancake ships that's for sure.
>>
File: spocksmash.gif (2MB, 248x193px) Image search: [Google]
spocksmash.gif
2MB, 248x193px
>>14385819
>>
>>14385958
That ship is made of sex.
>>
File: USS_Kelvin.jpg (60KB, 1024x435px) Image search: [Google]
USS_Kelvin.jpg
60KB, 1024x435px
> It looks like Paramount Pictures and CBS Studios won’t be pulling an Obamacare and embracing the haters’ nomenclature with Star Trek. While previous Star Trek series and movies all existed in a single line of continuity — running (setting aside some time travel hijinks) from the launch of the Enterprise NX-01 in 2151 through the Dominion War in the latter half of the 24th century — 2009’s Star Trek created a divergent timeline, caused by attacks on Federation planets and ships by the bitter, time-travelling Romulan, Nero.

> This new timeline has been derisively labeled the “Abramsverse” after Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness director J.J. Abrams, who many blame for the perceived Star Wars-ification of the Star Trek movie series. But now CBS has an official name for the schismatic timeline: the Kelvin Timeline.

> The new name was revealed by Star Trek Online lead designer Al Rivera on Twitter. The Star Trek MMORPG recently confirmed that Kelvin Timeline stuff would be folded into the game. However, Abramsverse material will not be replacing the Prime timeline ships and characters. Instead, there will be overlap, caused by a “strange temporal anomaly” in the wake of the Hobus supernova explosion.

OH BOY HERE WE GO.
>>
>>14385819
http://archive.is/Udj1Z

yeah nah
even the article mentions it's owned by a separate company

they might as well speculate about a VF-1 showing up in Season 2 of IBO

Granted, we're in the cyberfuture where AJ Styles is in WWE but even still this is a pretty far stretch.
>>
>>14387036
>owned by a separate company
Both companies are owned by the same people.
>>
>>14387154
>literally the only people who like anything that is or has been on television are people who post on /tv/
Don't you have /krg/, /ssg/, /prg/, and others to shitpost in about the same thing?
>>
>>14387124
meh. Just because dad says you have to work together doesn't mean you can't shit up the project so bad that your brother never asks you to work with him again.
http://www.thewrap.com/how-web-star-trek-rights-killed-jj-abrams-grand-ambitions-91766/
http://archive.is/qwrb4
It's certainly possible that they'll just go forward in FlareTrek universe, but it seems unlikely to me.
>>
>>14387168
Especially considering all the legal mess that caused the rights separation.
>>
>>14387188
t. mental illness
>>
>>14387188
TV and /tv/ are different things. The former is a technology for receiving media, some of which involve robots (as Star Trek does). The latter is the board you hate.
>>
>>14385819
Even if that was true, it could still be good. Showing off an alternative Star Trek universe might actually be more fun than trying to pick things up where they left them.
>>
File: 1406059991375.jpg (59KB, 919x720px) Image search: [Google]
1406059991375.jpg
59KB, 919x720px
>>14385819
>make a new series in a universe that's already retconned one of it's own fucking movies
>>
>>14387188
SOMEBODY GET THIS HOTHEAD OUT OF HERE
>>
File: pop-mech-stb-diagrams.jpg (370KB, 1800x1084px) Image search: [Google]
pop-mech-stb-diagrams.jpg
370KB, 1800x1084px
The ships of Star Trek Beyond
>>
>>14387252
>because it doesn't bend it to your fucking ugly whims
Oh, the irony.

I'll be sure to make a lot more live action threads on /m/ just to spite this faggot.
>>
I'm boycotting this show if it's not the true universe. Blow your fucking brains out, Paramount.
>>
>>14385819
Oh, great. So will we get some more leather jackets wearing federation, BAYWATCH IN SPACE in our face? I mean it would be better than next captain being bearded transgender, that is also dealing with identity crisis of being 1/2 Romulan AND 1/4 Klingon, but still.
>>
>>14387252
What makes you think anyone in here is from /tv/?
>>
>>14387278
>next captain being bearded transgender, that is also dealing with identity crisis of being 1/2 Romulan AND 1/4 Klingon, but still.
It might actually be interesting to have a captain who's part or all Klingon.

>female Klingon captain of the Starship Enterprise
I actually want this.
>>
>>14387278
>BAYWATCH IN SPACE
Let's not kid ourselves.
>>
>>14387320
Please, no more Starfleet Klingons.

>>14387278
There are no transgendered people as we know them in Star Trek. Federation medicine is so advanced that they can change your gender during a commercial break, so everyone passes and nobody cares. It's a complete non-issue.
>>
>>14387326
I'm not into grannies.
>>
>>14387329
>no more Starfleet Klingons
What was wrong with Worf? Also, are you saying Klingons have to be evil space goblins or what?
>>
>>14387332
I don't hate Worf, but the Klingon Empire isn't a member of the Federation, yet they have found ways to get a Klingon into the senior staff of the majority of shows for fanservice reasons. Give me an Andorian or something.
>>
File: IMG_1448processed_2.jpg (72KB, 683x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1448processed_2.jpg
72KB, 683x1024px
>>14387338
>Andorian
I could get behind that.
>>
>>14387326
I could only interpret this as a competition to see who had the best ass.

Troi got rekt
>>
>>14387343
>Andorian waifu will never shy away from your touch, complaining about how boiling-hot the warm-blooded pinkskin body feels
Why even live?
>>
>>14387366
>no spoonhead gf to argue with until she blurts out how fertile she is
;_;
>>
>>14387374
>>14387374
>Andorian waifu will never turn out to be a Cardassian operative
>>
>>14387338
Worf initially made sense as a way to emphasise how much times had changed between TOS and TNG, you had a goddamn Klingon not just serving on a Federation vessel but as a trusted core member of senior crew on the Federation flagship.
Voyager was a bit of a stretch though, I'll give you that one.
>>
How did The Next Generation go so right? How the hell did an 80's sequel series (that would probably be regarded as a soft reboot if made today) to a 60's cult classic end up being just as defining a classic?
>>
>>14366077
TNG is my favorite series, favorite movie is probably First Contact.
>>
>>14387423
Decent writing, high production budget, actors who actually got better over time, interesting story lines, a network that didn't just immediately cancel it for no reason, no serious competition for most of its lifespan and a time period where TV didn't have to compete with video games or the internet.

It was like the perfect storm.
>>
Andorians can't help but want half human children, it's like having a temporary physical space heater.
>>
Is the fact that IDW has been publishing comics set in the Prime Timeline a good sign that the new TV show will be set in it?

Also, thoughts on this?

http://www.idwpublishing.com/the-stars-align-to-bring-star-trek-and-green-lantern-together-this-july/

I'm pretty hype as it is, but would be more so if it wasn't JJverse art.
>>
>>14387423
Honestly, it didn't go right for about two seasons. People look back on it fondly because for the most part, they binge watched it or only loosely followed the show as it aired, but imagine if it launched today, each episode discussed on a week to week basis. People here would HATE it.

Actually, there are probably some archived usenet posts somewhere that are exactly like the 4chan threads I'm imagining..

DS9 was also widely loathed when it started and some people still hate it like they did when it started airing. This is why I'm trying to be as open as possible to the new show.
>>
>>14387515
In case of DS9 it helped that daily lives of space station crew, just occasionally disturbed by runabout trips through the wormhole, escalated into full blown war between the Federation and Dominion, and Ben "I punched Q" Sisko got his own tacticool spaceship.
>>
>>14384408
Nobody gives a fuck about Sulu because Orientals suck. And Trek isn't supposed to be an action series so much as exploration and addressing philosophy, ethics, etc.
>>
>>14384967
I liked Christopher Pike too and it's a real shame that Kirk replaced him. I liked the approach of The Cage and Hunter's take on Pike. Kirk was too gung-ho for my taste.

It's a real shame that pre-Kirk era Trek is shafted. I wanted another season or two of Enterprise because I liked Archer and wanted Shran as part of the crew. Or why not a series about Rachel Garrett, the captain of the Enterprise-C who answered the distress call from Khitomer?
>>
>>14385739
Picard and Sisko are the ideal captains in my opinion. Picard was the diplomat while Sisko was willing to whatever it took to do his duty to the Federation yet retain enough of his humanity.
>>
>>14387343
>>14387338
The Andorians are so fucking awesome ever since we saw them in Enterprise. Shran was a Grade-A badass. Only Martok rivals him as being a bro in battle.

>>14387515
THIS

Up until The Best of Both Worlds, Next Gen was pretty bad. And like Voyager, it's best episodes were usually the 2-parters.

DS9 was my 1st Trek series back when I was in grade school. I personally thought it was cool because I read a lot of Roman and medieval history books (kidified mind you) and thought a starbase being located to a massive geostrategic position like the Bajoran Wormhole was cool as fuck. That's the gateway to another part of the Galaxy which would make trade and war essential.
>>
File: string enterprise.jpg (415KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
string enterprise.jpg
415KB, 1600x1200px
I was thinking this morning how much cooler the end of DS9 would have been if The Sisko bitched out the Prophets and the Pah Wraiths and told them both to gtfo like Babylon 5
>>
>>14387652
DS9 wasn't set up like the Vorta vs Shadows proxy war. The Prophets actually DID help out Sisko like getting rid of that massive Dominion fleet. It wasn't an ideological spat between the Prophets and Pai Wraiths.
>>
>>14387030
>Hobus

Oh god no this is gonna end wit more Iconians isn't it.

>>14387575
You actually like Archer? Wow.
>>
>>14387833
>Oh god no this is gonna end wit more Iconians isn't it.
Why would it? The temporal anomaly was caused by Spock using red matter.
>>
>>14388022
Hobus is tied to em and have you forgotten the string of "Everythings a Iconian plot" season after season?

I wouldent put it past em.
>>
File: 1287895235399.jpg (23KB, 492x341px) Image search: [Google]
1287895235399.jpg
23KB, 492x341px
>Picard using Data to annoy Lwaxania Troi when she invites him to dinner.

This is the definition of gold.

Also, most of the TNG crew have not aged well.
>>
>>14388217
>Most of the TNG crew have not aged well.

Especially Wesley
https://youtu.be/IhJrxdMxJdQ
>>
File: Lensflareprise.jpg (493KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Lensflareprise.jpg
493KB, 1920x1080px
GAZE UPON THE EYE OF MADNESS AND DISPAIR!

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10033953-star-trek-online%3A-26th-century-ship-stats

New STO ships next month.
Including some Kelvin timeline ships and shit in near future.
>>
Is STO a good game?
>>
>>14388526
It's got a long ass story mode and shitloads of ships.
It also has multiple PvE group missions.
Now the shit you should know about those.
Quite a few story missions have shit writing, most of the ships are cash shop unlockables and PvE and PvP queues are mostly dead.

Other than that, it provides some average ground combat and some decent space combat.
And it's free so trying it out wont cost ya anything.
>>
>>14388579
>most of the ships are cash shop unlockables
But cash shop currency can be bought with in-game resources too, so it's not as bad as most other games with cash shop shit.
>>
>>14388526
Not worth any money.
>>
>>14388587
True and also when you buy a ship, you unlock it, thus being able to re-claim it infinite amount of times on multiple characters.
>>
>>14382158
http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/star-trek-star-trek-the-motion-picture-star-trek-28346

Zack Handlen's write ups of the Original Series, TNG, and DS9 are all great. He does episode by episode reviews, and each review has its own comment section so you can see discussions that were happening as he did his write ups. They are very good, and he has a well defined taste in what he wants out of each show, so even if you disagree with him, its easy to see where he is coming from. Highly recommended.
>>
>>14387515
Funny how TNG only got good once it got out from the shadow of TOS and tried it's own thing.
>>
>>14382158
SFDebris is pretty good and does at least one Trek episode weekly.
>>
>>14387343

I can get more than just behind that
>>
>>14387833
Not the anon you're responding to, but I was a huge fan of Bakula because of Quantum Leap. Archer was sorta pathetic as a captain in the early seasons, but he started to hit his stride by the Xindi Arc. You have to keep in mind that he was the trailblazer; the 1st captain of an exploration vessel for Earth. He didn't have any prior history or examples to draw from and played it by ear.
>>
>>14387712
>Vorta vs Shadows
Don't you mean Vorlons? Vorta were the enhanced apes-turned-administrators for the Dominion.

I really wish DS9 had 1 more season because the conclusion was really rushed.
>>
File: CiwBdf7XEAAwwyf.jpg (52KB, 882x897px) Image search: [Google]
CiwBdf7XEAAwwyf.jpg
52KB, 882x897px
>>14387612
>>
>>14387586
When I knew less about Trek I originally preferred Picard, but over time I think I've come to like Kirk more.

For all his class and 'our gratitude' level dialogue, I didn't care for Picard's holding Federation principles over others and using them as an excuse to browbeat them about how superior and enlightened the Federation was.

I found myself comparing this to Kirk after I saw the Corbomite Manoeuvre. The crew bumbles into alien territory and are going to be dragged off despite their pleas that they have only peaceful intentions and mean no harm, reciting all their Federation principles. When they break free, crippling the enemy ship in the process, the crew is all for legging it and leaving them to their fate, but Kirk insists on staying to provide aid to their stricken foe, pointing out that leaving them to die would be a violation of everything they had only just claimed to stand for.

He seemed to treat the Federation ideals as just that. An ideal to aspire towards, not something they automatically were just because they wanted to be, and certainly not something to be smug about.

That, and his other oft overlooked talent: while Picard was the diplomat and Sisco was the badass, he was the most magnificent fast-talker, 'Fizbin' indeed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v77SF4TFUoM
>>
>>14389313
I can't stand Kirk. Everything about him annoys the fuck out of me. He was too shielded by plot armor and swag for my taste. Picard was turned into Locutus or tortured by the Caradassians. Sisko lost his wife at Wolf 359 and had to play a delicate balance as a Federation officer overseeing a Bajoran space station while being Emissary of the Prophets.

Spock was more of a man than Kirk. Look at this moment from Wrath of Khan. That is a true captain; he put himself above the lives of his crew and went out like a boss. Into Darkness' rendition was a joke compared to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHAOWLhrxhQ
>>
>>14389313
>He seemed to treat the Federation ideals as just that. An ideal to aspire towards, not something they automatically were just because they wanted to be, and certainly not something to be smug about
It's instinctive. But the instinct can be fought. We're human beings with the blood of a million savage years on our hands, but we can stop it. We can admit that we're killers, but we're not going to kill today. That's all it takes. Knowing that we won't kill today.
>>
>>14384597
Not really much of an excuse. Full blooded Vulcans don't have any sort of anti-emotion physiology, they all experience emotions like everyone else, they just like to pretend they don't because they're above it.
>>
>>14389359
>Picard was turned into Locutus or tortured by the Caradassians. Sisko lost his wife at Wolf 359
And Kirk experienced a mass ethnic cleansing in his youth that likewise informed his own outlook.

>He was too shielded by plot armor and swag
You say that like the other captains never were.
>>
>>14387257
I'm never going to get used to how fucking huge the nuEnterprise is. And wasn't the NX the first one to reach warp 4?

>>14389359
>Into Darkness was a joke
Indeed.
>>
File: 1463623621330.gif (1MB, 250x141px) Image search: [Google]
1463623621330.gif
1MB, 250x141px
>>14387257
>Transporter Room
>Officer's Quarters
>Main Engineering
>Mass/Rec Hall
>Bridge

>Motorcycle
>>
>>14388051
Except we ended that plot last season and befriended the iconians.

Of course, it could be the one who lost its arm. M'something?
>>
>>14379248
Damn, would be fun to make an alien with face tentacles just for the Nautilus class.

Also
>Paladin is an upgrade of Ranger
Sure is AD&D in here.
>>
File: datasmug.jpg (18KB, 280x400px) Image search: [Google]
datasmug.jpg
18KB, 280x400px
>>14392037
Lower your shields, I'm beaming a (You) straight to your cargo bay.
>>
File: 1409071333946.gif (1MB, 356x321px) Image search: [Google]
1409071333946.gif
1MB, 356x321px
>>14392037
>>
File: 1385810364669.jpg (34KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
1385810364669.jpg
34KB, 413x395px
>>14392037
>>
File: 1426389086849.gif (1000KB, 192x213px) Image search: [Google]
1426389086849.gif
1000KB, 192x213px
>>14392037
>>
>>14392037
>>
File: 1430788248019.gif (408KB, 250x189px) Image search: [Google]
1430788248019.gif
408KB, 250x189px
>>14392037
>>14392085
>>14392125
>>14392156
>>
File: 1333655792023.jpg (1MB, 1918x1082px) Image search: [Google]
1333655792023.jpg
1MB, 1918x1082px
>>14392037
But /tv/ is the reason we're here. I promise we cultivate technological fetishism.
>>
>>14392085
>>14392125
>>14392156
>>
Now that I think of it, why haven't we ever gotten a Star Trek - Transformers crossover? It's the sort of thing I could see working.

Does IDW have the rights for Trek? I've liked their other crossover stuff.
>>
File: Temporal ships STO.jpg (199KB, 879x821px) Image search: [Google]
Temporal ships STO.jpg
199KB, 879x821px
>>14391699
That upgrade stuff is because of these.

Essentially, when you own those Tier 6 ships, you can use pic related ships skins on them.
>>
File: 18ltep00c8q83jpg.jpg (121KB, 636x967px) Image search: [Google]
18ltep00c8q83jpg.jpg
121KB, 636x967px
>>14392288
did they crossover in the Vs Zombies thing?
>>
>>
>>14392288
Yes, IDW are the ones releasing Star Trek comics currently.

And they're teaming up with DC soon to give us a Star Trek/Green Lantern crossover.
>>
File: mikey goes for supplies.jpg (288KB, 1571x579px) Image search: [Google]
mikey goes for supplies.jpg
288KB, 1571x579px
>>14392310

I'm not sure, did any of the crossovers cross with anyone? I know the Turtles one didn't, and the Ghostbusters one, kind of, sorta, did?

>>14392335

Huh. Well, I liked the Turtles/Batman crossover so, I'll see how that goes.
>>
File: MarsAttacks_popeye-pr-007-007.jpg (305KB, 689x1071px) Image search: [Google]
MarsAttacks_popeye-pr-007-007.jpg
305KB, 689x1071px
>>14392351
>I'm not sure, did any of the crossovers cross with anyone?
No idea, that's why I asked.

Only thing of theirs I've read like that was Mars Attacks Popeye
>>
If they really abandon the original universe, I think I'll drink myself to sleep while crying.
>>
>>14392393
There is no reason whatsoever to think they did, and they repeatedly, explicitly said they did not.
>>
>>14392393
We'll see with the new anthology show, but I HIGHLY doubt they're just gonna try to throw 50? 60? ...whatever years of lore out the window to fit three movies that have gotten mixed results with the fandom.
>>
>>14392393
>we're going to celebrate 50 years of Star Trek
>by throwing away pretty much everything those 50 years gave us
It's not logical.
>>
>>14392453
Since when are studio execs rational?
>>
File: prodigal_daughter_077.jpg (80KB, 709x530px) Image search: [Google]
prodigal_daughter_077.jpg
80KB, 709x530px
This kills the Ezri
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLp_HJl-0nI
>>
>>14393200
God dammit I love every scene Garak is ever in.
DS9 was pretty well written in general, but it shone like a DIAMOND when he was on screen.
>>
File: in the pale moonlight.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
in the pale moonlight.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>>14393257
Garak is most definitely one of the greatest of all times.
>>
>>14367552
>Grab Sins of a solar empire.
A Decent 4x RTS that can be had for relatively cheap. Massive replayability by itself.
>Mods!

>1) Sacrifice of Angels 2
The most stable mod of the bunch, although visual quality lacks a smidge. Can be easily played on older potato computers. /basically covers the Dominion Wars era, with some nice throwback ships like the Constitution and D7.

>2) Star Trek Armada 3
The more appealing of the two, if somewhat iffy. I can barely get it to play on my PC, but when it does, it is amazing. Same time frame as above, but more TNG ships included.
>>
>>14393316
DAWN
OF
VICTORY
FUCKING
NEVER

Also the SEED mod must be mentioned despite not being UC which would have worked better.
>>
>>14367552
Not exactly what you're after, but do yourself a favor and check out Star Trek Online.
It's surprisingly good and non-wallet rapey for a F2P mmo.
The really high tier ships cost money, but you can get by without, and earn currency in game.

And the ship battles are a blast.
>>
File: trek annual.jpg (51KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
trek annual.jpg
51KB, 480x640px
>>14393264
https://mega.nz/#F!pwZBESBa!E1hJrYkTZsdWcwoavKg0Og

shit vision downloads of Japanese dubbed Star Trek from nico, so far just Trouble With Tribbles and I'm putting up In The Pale Moonlight at the moment
>>
>>14393257
Same goes for Weyoun and Dukat.
>>
>>14393418
Fukken saved.
>>
File: 8865475125264.jpg (76KB, 637x594px) Image search: [Google]
8865475125264.jpg
76KB, 637x594px
>it's another Garak tries to genocide his enemies episode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hZqOdsRoKU
>>
>>14393488
Garak thread?
Garak thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-jBC6kTdas
>>
File: 1440257139816.jpg (27KB, 485x611px) Image search: [Google]
1440257139816.jpg
27KB, 485x611px
>>14393488
>you fight well, for a tailor

>>14393502
I had the luck of seeing Andrew Robinson at a convention. He's great. Garak is great.
>>
>>14393516
>Andrew Robinson
his Garak book is pretty cool
>>
>>14393516
>you fight well for a tailor

I like to think that Garak KNEW he didn't have a snowball's chance of taking down a big Klink in tight quarters like that, but went for it anyway, out of strength of conviction.

He's trying to save the galaxy, and he'll kill himself, you, and everyone on the Defiant crew to do it.
>>
>>14393536
I should pick it up. I was in high school and he had just finished writing that book. It was a big topic for questions at the con.

Feels old man.
>>
File: 1428374714170.gif (292KB, 300x227px) Image search: [Google]
1428374714170.gif
292KB, 300x227px
>>14393547
Garak is the hero the alpha quadrant needed but didn't deserve. He saved them anyway.
>>
>>14393200
Nah, that only made her stronger.
>>
Remember that time Quark saved Odo's life?
>>
>>14366077
Series?
TNG

Movie?
50/50 between First Contact/Nemesis and the Abrams movies. Mainly for the combat scenes rather than philosophical drama.

Best ST Video Game?
Star Trek Online, it's going into Abrams territory next month.
>>
File: Dax.gif (3MB, 275x204px) Image search: [Google]
Dax.gif
3MB, 275x204px
>>
File: 1365515913878.jpg (102KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1365515913878.jpg
102KB, 1920x1080px
CBS and Paramount Pictures are big believers in reasonable fan fiction and fan creativity, and, in particular, want amateur fan filmmakers to showcase their passion for Star Trek. Therefore, CBS and Paramount Pictures will not object to, or take legal action against, Star Trek fan productions that are non-professional and amateur and meet the following guidelines.

Guidelines for Avoiding Objections:

The fan production must be less than 15 minutes for a single self-contained story, or no more than 2 segments, episodes or parts, not to exceed 30 minutes total, with no additional seasons, episodes, parts, sequels or remakes.

The title of the fan production or any parts cannot include the name “Star Trek.” However, the title must contain a subtitle with the phrase: “A STAR TREK FAN PRODUCTION” in plain typeface. The fan production cannot use the term “official” in either its title or subtitle or in any marketing, promotions or social media for the fan production.

The content in the fan production must be original, not reproductions, recreations or clips from any Star Trek production. If non-Star Trek third party content is used, all necessary permissions for any third party content should be obtained in writing.

If the fan production uses commercially-available Star Trek uniforms, accessories, toys and props, these items must be official merchandise and not bootleg items or imitations of such commercially available products.

The fan production must be a real “fan” production, i.e., creators, actors and all other participants must be amateurs, cannot be compensated for their services, and cannot be currently or previously employed on any Star Trek series, films, production of DVDs or with any of CBS or Paramount Pictures’ licensees.
>>
>>14394202
too bad assholes online ruined fan movies by making them non-profit incorporations and shit with kickstarters and real actors working for a tax writeoff
>>
File: 1410213539630.gif (875KB, 178x195px) Image search: [Google]
1410213539630.gif
875KB, 178x195px
The fan production must be non-commercial:

CBS and Paramount Pictures do not object to limited fundraising for the creation of a fan production, whether 1 or 2 segments and consistent with these guidelines, so long as the total amount does not exceed $50,000, including all platform fees, and when the $50,000 goal is reached, all fundraising must cease.

The fan production must only be exhibited or distributed on a no-charge basis and/or shared via streaming services without generating revenue.

The fan production cannot be distributed in a physical format such as DVD or Blu-ray.

The fan production cannot be used to derive advertising revenue including, but not limited to, through for example, the use of pre or post-roll advertising, click-through advertising banners, that is associated with the fan production.

No unlicensed Star Trek-related or fan production-related merchandise or services can be offered for sale or given away as premiums, perks or rewards or in connection with the fan production fundraising.

The fan production cannot derive revenue by selling or licensing fan-created production sets, props or costumes.

The fan production must be family friendly and suitable for public presentation. Videos must not include profanity, nudity, obscenity, pornography, depictions of drugs, alcohol, tobacco, or any harmful or illegal activity, or any material that is offensive, fraudulent, defamatory, libelous, disparaging, sexually explicit, threatening, hateful, or any other inappropriate content. The content of the fan production cannot violate any individual’s right of privacy.
>>
>>14394218
>>14394202
tl;dr

Only 15 minutes for 1 story, no help from any ST guys, no alcohol, no sex, PG-13, max budget 50.000 USD, also be a nice goyim and buy only official reshirts from official shop.

Goodbye, Axanar, we will remember your try.
>>
>>14394238
moneymaking scheme shit like Axanar is exactly why they did this
>>
>>14394271
>like Axanar
There's no "like" about it; Axanar is literally the only reason this shit is happening. Until Alec Peters tried pulling all that bullshit, CBS/Paramount were fine with every other fan production out there.
>>
>>14394629
Kickstarter helps again!
>>
>>14394635
Kickstarter isn't the problem. Other fan productions used it for funding before. Axanar's big problems were using the funding to create a for-profit studio and trying to sell Star Trek merchandise without a license to do so.
>>
>>14394629
>Until Alec Peters tried pulling all that bullshit
is there any delicious salt coming from him over this?
>>
>>14394665
Why would there be? These guidelines are pretty much in line with the one's he suggested when the court case started and he tried playing up the good guy act by trying to get the other fan films to agree with him.
>>
>>14394814
>trying to get the other fan films to agree with him.

I'd ask why anyone would willingly help with something that will impoverish them and hinder their ambitions, but I just saw England vote itself out of the EU last night due to racism, hatred of the Prime Minister and about 2 million London Students not going out to vote because it was raining.

It WAS raining a lot I suppose.
>>
>>14395926
Because Axanar had generated too much hype and Peters knew it couldn't live up to it, so instead he suggests certain guidelines (some of which could only possibly have applied to Axanar and no other fan production at the time) so if they pass, it means he can cancel the project without alienating what remains of his fanbase, and even come out looking like he isn't the egotistical twat that started the whole mess but rather the good guy that helped fan films retain some freedoms.
>>
>>14395926
>I'd ask why anyone would willingly help with something that will impoverish them and hinder their ambitions, but I just saw England vote itself out of the EU last night due to racism
Take it /pol/
>>
>>14395926
>due to racism
that doesn't work anymore that's why Leave won

do you have a plan beyond "call people bigots"? you're gonna need it
>>
>>14396762
That wasn't the only reason they gave. You have to be delusional to think that some portion of Brexit voters were not motivated by racism, nationalism, etc.
>>
>>14395926
>>14396762
>>14396799
For the sake of the thread, fuck off.
>>
>>14396799
>You have to be delusional to think that some portion of Brexit voters were not motivated by racism, nationalism, etc.
>racism, nationalism,
those are two different things
you might as well cite racism and ducks
get a better plan
calling people bigots is continuing to fail
it will fail for ghostbusters and will keep on failing through november
>>
>>14397069
>those are two different things
No one said they were the said, moron. Do you know what a comma is? Btw I'm for the dissolution of the EU since its a total failure.
>>
>>14389085
>You have to keep in mind that he was the trailblazer the 1st captain of an exploration vessel for Earth.

But that's wrong starfleet had other ships exploring just his was intended to do stuff further out. Also even if it was
it doesn't justify his schizo behaviour or his hypocritical action.

He made Janeway look like a pilar of sanity and integrity ffs.
>>
>>14393558
I really liked the whole teleporting bullet thing was an interesting concept.
>>
>>14399943
That always seemed weird to me. Wouldn't the bullet just fall to the ground after being teleported?
>>
>>14401907
apparently inertia can remain through a transport, which argues against "it makes a copy and destroys the original" theories
>>
>>14401907
Sometimes the transporter preserves momentum, sometimes it doesn't. Depends on the episode.
>>
>>14401907
they can control various things during transport, including momentum/inertia
>>
>>14401911
>"it makes a copy and destroys the original" theories
I hate when people try to argue this. Transporting takes your matter, breaks it up and then ships it to another location where it is reassembled. It's essentially just converting your body into energy and then converting it back, not unlike how an electrical current conversion.

>>14401923
This.
>>
>>14401907
Imagine what would happen if teleporting would kill the momentum of the particles that make up your blood.

>>14401911
Not necessarily. Momentum is just as much a property of fundamental particles as position, so if they're going to encode its state into data, that would have to be part of it.
>>
So what do you guys think each captains best and worst decisions are?
>>
>>14402496

Worst, of the ones I've watched

Kirk
>leaving Khan stranded and thus out for revenge
Picard
>nearly becoming Khan
Janeway
>giving the Borg the ability to fight back against Species 8472
>>
Warf's Klingon moments are really nice, I enjoyed the bonding ceremony. I also want to see some more Ferengi shenanigans. Thanks /m/ for getting me into star trek, I mainly dismissed it for years for the silly alien humanoid designs, but I can look over them.
>>
>>14372767
I was upset they never finished the Dark Leaper storyline in Quantum Leap. I get that there was supposed to be some kind of Satan that makes her go around and fuck up time and I guess Sam was like the holy leaper? Maybe it was too dumb or heavyhanded?

PS, I wanna know how the Frozen ride is. Heard it kicks ass but lines are long.
>>
>>14401907
Transporters can work that way, but obviously they don't have to. Speedy thing goes in, speedy thing comes out.
>>
>>14403051
>I was upset they never finished the Dark Leaper storyline in Quantum Leap. I get that there was supposed to be some kind of Satan that makes her go around and fuck up time and I guess Sam was like the holy leaper? Maybe it was too dumb or heavyhanded?
I know that part existed but I dont recall seeing it.
>I wanna know how the Frozen ride is. Heard it kicks ass but lines are long.
It's just an overlay of Maelstrom, isn't it? That was always terrible for lines (when people went to it).
>>
File: CHRISTMAS LIGHTS HAVE NO HONOR.jpg (150KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
CHRISTMAS LIGHTS HAVE NO HONOR.jpg
150KB, 960x960px
>>
>>14402933
What's so silly about the alien designs? I like them.
>>
>>14402496
Can't pick worst for Picard. Either one of those times he decides not to destroy highly dangerous life forms (that have already gone on record for killing huge amounts of people) because of his ethics, or one of those times when he condemns a whole civilization to death because of the Prime Directive.

Sisko's best decisions are generally also his worst, at least from his perspective. See For The Uniform and In The Pale Moonlight.

Janeway's worst decision would be to destroy the Care Taker Array, obviously. Not fucking Q for a quick way home is a close second.
>>
File: Elim_Garak,_2375.jpg (85KB, 417x406px) Image search: [Google]
Elim_Garak,_2375.jpg
85KB, 417x406px
>>14402933
Star Trek is like root beer. First glass tastes awful, but you can't stop drinking it. It's insidious.
>>
>>14387257
Why the fuck does the (utterly gigantic) new Enterprise have that stupidly large shaft running down the middle?
>>
>>14403886
I am not a fan of alien designs that look like a human except for one or two distinguishing features. There is also a lot of humanoid aliens that look exactly like humans. They don't feel alien enough to me. Only reason I look over them now is that besides their appearances they are quite different from humans culturally.
>>
Literally have only watched like the first 3 episodes of the original series so far, and I love it. It's old enough that the camp makes it feel amazing, like in a Kamen Rider 1 sort of feel but different. Stopped because I was afraid it might go bad, should I just keep going and enjoy myself or does it go off the deep end?
>>
>>14405136
Star Trek's main appeal has always been in the writing rather than the on-screen action so that means it's working.
>>
>>14405136
accepting that "aliens = humans with shit glued to their faces" is kinda like accepting that the robot is painted clown colors
it's a necessary hurdle to clear
>>
File: 1275625437352.png (110KB, 448x352px) Image search: [Google]
1275625437352.png
110KB, 448x352px
>>14405136
You've never heard of convergent evolution, have you? Carbon based life forms that would develop civilization would feature largely similar traits due to simple environmental factors making such forms inherently logical.
They need to be bipedal, they need to have hands with fine tuned manipulation capabilities. They need binocular vision. They need a large cranial capacity. This means that skeletal structure would be mostly similar. Things like two hands would be exceedingly common because one hand is lacking in function and more than two arms would cause various structural problems. The same goes for height. Diets would need to be similar in nutritional values to develop a complex brain and would influence body composition to be similar to our own. The planets would require similar environments to develop lifeforms capable of vaguely conventional civilization.
Additionally, Star Trek has shown completely non-human aliens. Naturally, these life forms do not have what we would consider civilization or technology. They have hard to discern motives and rarely interact with humanoid species due to a lack of overlapping lifestyles.
So by looking at things logically, it is quite apparent that any alien cultures with civilization and technology that would end up interacting on a large scale with human would have to be similar to humans in the first place due to a variety of natural factors which makes a narrow range of physical forms viable for such an occurrence.
>>
File: Antedean_dignitary.jpg (744KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Antedean_dignitary.jpg
744KB, 1080x1080px
>>14405317
There's a few that are more exotic, but unless we REALLY want to go the route of all that god-awful wan-wan-wan-wan alien gibberish that Star Wars is packed with...
>>
File: Kirk_Garrovick_Cloud.jpg (63KB, 1024x764px) Image search: [Google]
Kirk_Garrovick_Cloud.jpg
63KB, 1024x764px
>>14405343
Universal translators. Hey, it even worked for TOS and its twenty kinds of glowing-amorphous-cloud aliens.
>>
>>14405317
What if there is life forms that are not made of Carbon? What if there was aliens that could live in environments that we consider unlivable in? We have no real life example besides ourselves. I am not saying your theory is wrong, I believe a great deal of it makes sense. But considering we have never encountered an alien being we can not prove that theory correct.
>>
>>14405397
Devil in the dark, bro
>>
>>14405424
Yeah I love it.

I guess it might go back to the guy's original mention of "silly alien designs" because the costume budget was five bucks and an old carpet but it's still one of my favourite aliens of the series
>>
>>14405397
>What if there is life forms that are not made of Carbon?
The same principles apply.
>What if there was aliens that could live in environments that we consider unlivable in?
That doesn't matter and is not what I stated. The environments must be similar to cultivate technology and culture. Similar as in a universal sense, which means it could be an environment completely uninhabitable or even unexplorable by us. But that environment must have things like ores, methods of mass subsistence such as farming, nutrients that can spur physiological growth into high thinking functions, a large population carrying capacity, etc.
>We have no real life example besides ourselves etc
We don't need aliens to know this. This can be observed by looking at the scientific knowledge we have available to use now and by observing Earth's other lifeforms. Convergent evolution is a well established natural mechanism. I have stated that for an alien to have technology they would have to acquire certain traits. This isn't conjecture, it's fact. To acquire those traits, they would need similar physical forms. Combine this with the mechanism of convergent evolution, which is a fact and not a theory, and you quickly realize that if we ever encountered aliens with technology then they would have to be similar to use in a number of ways. It is far more likely that if we ever encountered aliens with high level thinking and technology that they would be exceedingly similar to us in a number of ways because there are certain physical and environmental requirements to achieve such a thing.
For example, let's say you had a super smart alien that was a gas cloud. These creatures would never be able to develop sophisticated technology because they simply do not have a body that could manipulate tools or live in an environment that could develop materials required for technology. Could you find a whale that flies through space? Sure. But would those whales be able to build spaceships? No.
>>
>>14405512
Ok , Data I bend to your ideals.
>>
>>14405148
It's got some bad ones, sure, but I don't think anything is gonna sour the whole show for you if you're loving the aesthetic and effects.

You're not watching that bollocks version with the CG, right?
>>
>>14404050
>Janeway's worst decision would be to destroy the Care Taker Array
How the fuck did this bitch and her crew not jerry-rig a timer or something? I watched the pilot and was disgusted at a massive plot hole like that. It wouldn't have even taken long to develop one; maybe half an hour at most.
>>
>>14402506
>giving the Borg the ability to fight back against Species 8472
Assuming she did nothing, wouldn't Species 8472 attack the rest of the Delta Quadrant indiscriminately after annihilating the Borg Collective?
>>
>>14410863
I'm pretty sure that photon torpedoes have been shown with timers before and since, too.
Thread posts: 319
Thread images: 79

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.