[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Been watching some VOTOMS lately. Is there a reason why there

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: Burglary Dog.jpg (30KB, 484x500px) Image search: [Google]
Burglary Dog.jpg
30KB, 484x500px
Been watching some VOTOMS lately.

Is there a reason why there are so many Scopedog variants besides merchandising?
Which one is the best?
>>
>>14355498
If you have one successful general purpose machine then there's little reason not to make a shitton of variants on it.

You also get this same stuff with Zakus, GMs, Crab Gunners, Soltics, etc.

For all that however there are still other ATs, namely the heavier-in-general Standing Turtle, the Diving Beetle, the bear-type I can't remember, the super-specialized Beserga, and then the Balarant AT, the Fatty, which doesn't seem to have nearly as many variants simply because VOTOMs as a series seems to like pitting Gilgamesh ATs against each other.
>>
>>14355498
there are many variants of the Abrams tank to preform different tasks, or are just upgrades from older models. see the logic?
>>
>>14355498
Different loadouts, equipment, tactical purposes, etc.
Happens all the time with real life military shit.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Dynamics_F-16_Fighting_Falcon_variants
>>
>>14355518
>>14355525
Watching the series, I got the impression that none of the other ATs in the series had specs significantly different from the Scopedog, which made me wonder why it was the only one to get as many versions as it did. I mean, after all, If your standard Diving Beetle is amphibious without any special parts while the Scopedog isn't, wouldn't it make more sense to have that one get all the variants if they had roughly the same speed and armor?
>>
The armored trooper is just a class of military vehicle, like a tank or an IFV.
>>
>>14355533
development for active combat machines is rarely that forward thinking. variants only arise when other machines can't do a task and it's cheapest to make a variant of an existing platform. there's also the cost per unit to figure in. it would cost a ton to load out every unit with tons of gear it won't need in the area it is deployed in.
>>
>>14355533
There's likely to be bigger differences between things like the Turtle, Beetle, etc. as compared to the Scopedog. Full aquatic operation, for instance, is a pretty big deal, and while Chirico slugs on in his Scopedog during Kummen, it still can't be argued that the Standing Turtles and Diving Beetles aren't better swimmers.
>>
>>14355561
The Dog Chirico was using then was a Marshydog, a Scopedog modified to work in rivers and shit. And yeah, it was inferior to the Turtle and the Beetles in that environment, but it was of use to him because he works best in Scopedogs. That's also why Ru Shako was using a Berserga WP (WaterProof), he prefers Bersergas even if they're going to be slightly inferior in the environment.
>>
>>14355533
Just recently, everybody went through a lot of shit to make their vehicles workable and reasonably comfortable for use in Iraq and Afghanistan.
>>
File: 1276437901439.jpg (362KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1276437901439.jpg
362KB, 960x1280px
>>14355498
I fucking love the Burglary Dog.
>>
File: Scopedog RSC.jpg (44KB, 344x400px) Image search: [Google]
Scopedog RSC.jpg
44KB, 344x400px
>>14357402
Yeah, I thought the Red Shoulder Custom was my favorite until I watched Shining Heresy. It was then that I began to despair over a lack of figures from that OVA
>>
>>14357402
I have a weakness for shoulder mounted guns...
>>
>>14357440
Kinda strikes me as a "How can we add more gun?" school of thought.
>>
>>14357594
That's the idea.
For being hardware with universally available parts (given how most of them are basically the same aside from the head), you don't see much modularity with Armored Troopers. A few take advantage of it, like the RSC and the Zwerg with their tread feet, and those tend to be my favorite.
>>
>>14355498
The police one from Mellowlink looked pretty cool, that OVA had alot of nice AT designs in general.
>>
File: 1230755909465.jpg (88KB, 700x468px) Image search: [Google]
1230755909465.jpg
88KB, 700x468px
>>14355498
I've been told another reason/inspiration for the variety of Scopedogs is postwar Japan's proliferate re-use of Jeeps.
>>
>>14360227
Guy who met Takahashi here, can confirm this.
>>
>>14360627
Takahashi's mother here, it's a lie.
>>
>>14360227
I can see that. The ScopeDog kind of looks like it was made from spare Jeep parts.
>>
You could follow the reasoning of the game Votoms influenced Heavy Gear. They are a lot like a Scopedog especially the base models the Hunter and Jager. They're so common that a variant of them was made for specific functions. Fire support, sniper, recon, etc. Then military planners get the idea of making models for various uses and then you get newer vehicles. The Standing Tortoise, Zwerg, Diving Beetle.

These newer vehicles of course perform better than the old standard, but usually with have some kind of limits or even handicaps that make it so you don't want to give them to your average grunt pilot. In Heavy Gear sure the Black Mamba can outrun, out gun and is better armored that the Jager, except it's rear armor isn't really that good. The Iguana's may be much faster, but aren't armored as good and have a cramped cockpit.

For all any one knows in Votoms those little Zwergs may also have a cramped cockpit and are hard to modify like a Scopedog.
>>
>>14360227
This is true, he mentions it in the commentary on the DVD
>>
>>14361153
That doesn't make much sense because again, ATs are mostly the same below the head. They may have a few minor variations, such as having different pauldrons, or having a claw for a hand, but you pretty much always see the same torso, legs, bullet punch arms, etc.

And again, going from the show, there's not much difference between the different types. The Marshydog apparently performs worse in water than the Diving Beetle, but you'd be hard pressed to tell that it does going off the Kummen arc. In fact, you might even say that it does better since Diving Beetles cannot turn their heads.
>>
>>14361194
Of course it makes sense. We don't know that they're 'mostly the same' below the head because we never get to walk through a parts warehouse and compare the bits. They very well could be hard to make perform other roles.
>>
>>14361201
I would assume that if they were not the same, then they would display different capabilities from each other. We don't see much evidence of that.
>>
>>14361194
Notice the Standing Tortoise has a twin 11mm machine guns in it's torso, are slightly better armored than a scopedog and have a heavier structure.

Berserga are known for their superior sensor equipment on them.

The Ballarant Fatty's were never as good as the Scopedogs, so they were just mass produced in as large numbers as possible.
>>
File: DSC_0876-1.jpg (138KB, 537x800px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0876-1.jpg
138KB, 537x800px
>>
>>14355533
>I got the impression that none of the other ATs in the series had specs significantly different from the Scopedog

Well that certainly isn't true when you look at their specification numbers in the books and kit manuals.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.