[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mechs are a dirty word

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 15

Mechs are a dirty word
>>
>>14326776
Mecha fans get no respect
It's not like we can demand any either, we make up almost zero market
>>
>>14326776
There's a level of retardation and mecha ignorance in that article that is tough to beat.
>>
It's too bad the dev went full retard, the game itself was pretty fun.
>>
>>14326776
>Move as slow as a regular soldier

So what's the point?
>>
>>14326824
They think a regular person runs faster than a mech.
>>
Western mechs are always the ugliest things.
Can't even use the excuse of being utilitarian, cus there is no reason for Hawken to have TV looking mechs
>>
>>14326776
The gameplay from what I have seen looks pretty fun, apart from being XBONE only I don't know how it failed.
>>
>>14326851
>failed
>sequel is in the works
>>
Memes aside, Titanfall was actually a really great game. The only flaw is the lack of content. People who complain about the bots or 6v6 cap are confirmed for not actually playing the game.
>>
>>14326869
>made by the creators of Call of Duty
>good
Pick one or less.
>>
>>14326875
They're not making Call of Duty any more. They got better.
>>
>>14326875
Call of Duty was a great shooter series.
>>
>>14326851
Except it was also on PC and 360.
>>
>>14326853
Its was a failed game, by far. It completely failed to live up to anyones expectations and was so enemic in terms of content that the community died off to almost nothing for a triple A tittle within a few weeks of release.

The announcement of a sequel came as a surprise for everyone and most likely has to do with licensing constraint preventing any better options.
>>
I'm not even trying to shitpost, but I legitimately don't understand why western folks can't handle decent-looking robots. I'm not saying everything needs to be some flashy, Strike Freedom-esque thing, but the ATs from VOTOMS, the TAs from Gasaraki and even the S1 KMFs that aren't the Lancelot, Guren Mk.II or Gawain all look very cool in a sci-fi, tacticool way.

The Heavy Gear dudes get it right, but everyone else just wants things to be as fugly as possible.
>>
>>14326881
Was being a keyword though.

Like a decade ago about now.
>>
>>14326869
Unfortunately, it's officially not a mecha game, so you can't talk about it on /m/ outside of wondering why it's not a mecha game.
>>
>>14326881
Back when its only competition was Medal of Honor, maybe. The only reason it's "good" now is because it appeals to casual shitters. And it's being solely developed by Treyarch now, Activision's C Team.

>>14326888
It also ate up a huge chunk of your HDD because they insisted that everybody download uncompressed audio files in all languages so that toasters could run their game. And some other stupid bullshit that I forgot.

>>14326890
Wasn't the only reason it generated the number of total sales it did because they would perpetually put it on sale every now and then long after it had died, so people would buy it for a few bucks, try it out a bit and then uninstall?
>>
>>14326892
I think it may be a difference in how some Western artists are taught, because it seems that a lot of them subscribe to the policy that "the more things going on in the design, the more interesting it is"

It may be just a general thing now, though, since that seems to be happening to more and more Japanese mecha as well. They look a lot more overdesigned than they used to.

Wherever Western art makes an exception to this rule, it generally looks pretty good. See the Iron Giant, Megas, Sym-Bionic Titan, Transformers that aren't Bayformers, etc.
>>
>>14326925
I think they just want to disassociate from Power Rangers and Transformers.
"DON'T WORRY FELLOW BURGERS THESE ARE BIG BOY BOTS"
Even Bayformers tries to make the bots into an overdesigned mess
>>
>>14326892
I think the difference lies in that Western artists design their robots in a way that they think it might actually look were it created in real life (you know, the Western fetish in military realism and all), whereas in Japan there's been a long tradition in making their robots look flashy and stylish since most of the time they're meant to sell toys to little children.

Like, if you see a Western mecha, more likely than not it's appearing in a video game or a high-budget movie alongside other military hardware. When you see a Japanese mecha, it's 90% most likely going to be drawn in a kids' show and molded into plastic kits.
>>
File: desert abrams.jpg (2MB, 2790x1860px) Image search: [Google]
desert abrams.jpg
2MB, 2790x1860px
>>14326940
but they never ever manage to capture what actual military vehicles look like.
>>
>>14326913
Pretty much. When the game came it was 70 bucks, I saw it a few weeks later on sale for like 20 at bestbuy

Hopefully the devs learned from their mistakes of hyping up titan fall as a mecha game while putting very little focus on making the mecha gameplay impactfull or interesting and providing the amount of content you'd expect from a moderately budgeted indi game at a full AAA price tag.

I'll give em' one thing though, the infantry gameplay was knoked out of the park. It was super fun wallrunning and double jumping all over the map while juking titans and fucking their shit up like a heavily armed spider monkey from hell. Had they based to games hype campaign on that instead of the underwhelming titans, maybe the game could have survived.

on a tangential note
>"Titans are armed with powerful weapons that make most mechs look like toys!"
>The largest Titan from Titanfall is smaller than the smallest Battlemech from Mechwarrior.
>The 135 ton Ares battlemechs guess rifle weighs more than an entire Titan
I'm fuckn laugh'n m8
>>
>>14326967
Everything they say in the article is a fucking joke
They make every other mecha sound slow but the titans are fast because they walk at human speed like what the fuck ahahahaahahaha
>>
>>14326967
Do they at least have funnels? Nuclear missiles? Hax particle insta army destroyers?

I think they don't know what the usual protagonist or final villain mech tends to be equipped with.
>>
Titanfall was one of the best FPSs of the past decade and if you disagree with me fuck you you're wrong and a shit.

>buh muh singleplayer
Literally who gives a fuck about FPS campaigns?
>>
>>14326776

Christ, let it go already.
>>
>>14327063
>Literally who gives a fuck about FPS campaigns
Metroid Prime is one of my favorite games, you know
>>
>>14327063
lol
>>
>>14327063
>What is Metroid Prime?
>What is Doom?

It's the "durrhurr multiplayer's the only thing that matters" mindset that can fuck off..
>>
>>14326890
>The announcement of a sequel came as a surprise for everyone and most likely has to do with licensing constraint preventing any better options.
sequel is actually going to be on PS4 as well as XBONE and PC

>>14326892
I actually like the Titanfall mech designs, they're pretty solid ones, although I hope 2 adds at least two to four more Titan frames and allow more customization in both appearance and weapon variety

>>14327063
I dunno about one of the best, but it's definitely a very fun game, pretty much the only CoD style I've actually enjoyed since Black Ops 1
>>
>>14327080
>>14327120
>Metroid Prime
>fps
Pick one.
>>
>>14327194
?????????
>>
>>14326925
>since that seems to be happening to more and more Japanese mecha as well. They look a lot more overdesigned than they used to.
Japanese designs still generally have surfaces that are not as busy though, part of their overdesigned look is due to color scheme and some excessive panel lining in some spots, I think.

Western designs for some reason adopts the same aesthetics as Star Wars ships and their surfaces are filled with worthless greeble.

Ironically, despite all the muh realism fetish from the western designers, they often end up designing mechas that doesn't share the general aesthetics of tanks and planes(Relatively simple shapes, clean surfaces)
>>
File: hybrid-fighter.jpg (74KB, 673x502px) Image search: [Google]
hybrid-fighter.jpg
74KB, 673x502px
>>14327216
The new Independence Day has gotten pretty close in my opinion.
Almost Kawamori-esque, if you just elongate it and get rid of the alien technology wheel things.
>>
>>14327216
>their surfaces are filled with worthless greeble
Mainly because of the illusion that it makes it look more complex. I mean, all that weird lining and shit has to be there for a reason, after all! That's how you can tell that it's hi-tech!
>>
>>14327120
>singleplayer
>beat campaign in 10 hours and never touch it again
>>
>>14327258
>all singleplayer games are 10 hours
>all multiplayer games are over 100000 hours in length and give you endless fun
shut the fuck up retard
>>
File: design.jpg (854KB, 2345x1344px) Image search: [Google]
design.jpg
854KB, 2345x1344px
>>14327216
I saved this off /tg/ but the LotR vs. 40k contrast seems to be what we're getting at
>>
>>14327302
>tetnis
>>
Titanfall is fine, conceptually, but there just wasn't enough content there. And I don't just mean "muh singleplayer", even the multiplayer was lacking in content compared to its contemporaries. Hopefully they fix that in the sequel.
>>
>>14327302
I don't think the stuff about 40k applies, though. It wouldn't be appropriate if 40k designs weren't completely over the top and ridiculous, because everything else in the setting is.

The problem we're getting at here is more the tendency of Western designers to make something completely impractical and shitty looking and try to pass it off as real military hardware in an otherwise grounded setting
>>
>Game with mechs
>No one even used the mechs in multi except for that one gamemode
>>
>>14327063
the last decade has been absolutely pathetic for fps and actually now that I think about it Unreal Tournament 4 is a thing so fuck off Titanfall is utter trash
>>
>Mechs are a dirty word
Talk dirty to me /m/!
>>
File: Here is my zaku boy.png (7KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Here is my zaku boy.png
7KB, 300x300px
>>14327383
Show me how your Gundam isn't just a hand-to-hand combat mobile suit.
>>
File: Launching in Guntank.png (229KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Launching in Guntank.png
229KB, 500x500px
>>14327383
>>
>>14327393
>HAYAI
>>
File: 1462725010029.jpg (439KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1462725010029.jpg
439KB, 1024x768px
>>14327393
>>
>>14327302
>armor makes them look like torture happy peacocks
That's pretty much exactly what dark elves are.
>>
>>14327265
>>all singleplayer games are 10 hours
>>all multiplayer games are over 100000 hours in length and give you endless fun
this is all true
>>
>>14326776
>Not everyone grew up playing Battletech or sees the appeal of controlling massive robots that move at the speed of a senior citizen with a walker
Average BT mechs have a top speed about the same as highway speeds in America, and many go much, much faster. I never understood why so many people, even those who are fans of BT, think that they are slow, lumbering hulks.
>>
>>14326776
Robots are better
>>
What I don't understand is who they were trying to appeal to with the "Not your grandads" marketing.
It worked for something like star trek because it has a huge presence in pop-culture and a reputation for being a bit "nerdy" which I really don't see for mecha. The average person doesn't know shit about the robot cartoons we on /m/ like and I don't think battletech is known outside tabletop circles and people who played mechwarrior. I don't think either of those are likely to think battlemechs are slow, at least mechwarrior never felt too slow for me, and even if they did there's still a shitload less of them than CoDfags who've no familiarity with battletech and robot cartoons at all. Who's misconception do they think they're playing off?
>>
>>14328362
These people probably never actually viewed any media with mecha in it and instead went by an episode or two of something that's tangentially mecha related like Dexter's Lab or something, saw a slow moving giant robot in it, and assumed all of them were that way
>>
>>14328538
Dexter's robot wasn't a slow thing lurching along at the speed of granny. It seemed pretty fast.
>>
>>14326776
>>14328373
I prefer "mecha" myself.

>>14326947
This. Last thread there was like this, a fellow managed to rather concisely put it as a lot of western robots being too complex in appearance in the worst possible ways, where actual machines tend to be simpler visually due to how they're built and their requirements.

>>14328546
This doesn't change generalizations though.
>>
>This doesn't change generalizations though.
That's my point. I'm not sure this generalisation really exists among any real amount of people
>>
>>14326947
It's honestly shocking that many "toyetic" Japanese mecha have more in common with real world fighting machines than western greeble clusterfucks.
>>
>>14328182
I'll still take 10 hours of a crafted campaign over 100000 hours of running on the same map set praying the random people in there won't screw me over.
>>
File: Huntsman_armoured_04.jpg (553KB, 1200x1497px) Image search: [Google]
Huntsman_armoured_04.jpg
553KB, 1200x1497px
>>14328572
>>14328985
there are some exceptions though
>>
>>14326851
>mech is literally just supersized soldier minus parkour
>good

Smart pistol was a cool concept though
>>
>>14326940
I fail to see a reason you can't have both. Something like a Graze looks sexy but still utilitarian.
>>
>>14327235
Those thing looks so awkward. Couldn't they integrate into the rest of the wing instead of having them hang out like that?
>>
>>14329026
The Western interpretation of militarily utilitarian is different from the Japanese interpretation. See >>14327251
>>
>>14329063
yeah, it just ruins the lines of what could be a very attractive fighter.
if they really wanted to showcase the alien tech aspect, they could just show some glowing blue reactor thingy being inserted into the airframe or something.
>>
>>14326947
Man, there are fewer things more awe inspiring than watching a tank division.
>>
>>14327302
The guy who made this missed the point of Warhammer, didn't he?
>>
>>14327346
>It wouldn't be appropriate if 40k designs weren't completely over the top and ridiculous,
That's just a shield they throw up after the fact to defend shit designs.
>>
>>14329617
I might believe you if 40k had started out as the way it is nowadays, but it used to have shit like the Noise Marines using guitars as weapons and Doomrider and so on

Even today, the Orks still exist
>>
>>14329605
There's a point to Warhammer?
>>
>>14329715
Over the top absurdist black comedy that can be swapped out for over the top absurdist dark fantasy.
>>
File: 1351887651776.jpg (22KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
1351887651776.jpg
22KB, 576x432px
>>14329706
>but it used to have shit like the Noise Marines using guitars as weapons and Doomrider and so on
That has fuck all to do with 40k's aesthetic being complete shit.

>>14329719
>Over the top absurdist black comedy
I only ever hear fans say this and I have never once seen it demonstrated.
>>
>>14327302
>Torture happy peacocks
thats exactly what the dark eldar are
>>
File: DOOMWHEELS.jpg (381KB, 1600x1043px) Image search: [Google]
DOOMWHEELS.jpg
381KB, 1600x1043px
>>14329727
Orcs and Ogre Kingdoms. Skaven as well.

Look at pic related, it's a fukken hamster wheel with a gun attached.
>>
File: beginners-VR-training.jpg (40KB, 340x325px) Image search: [Google]
beginners-VR-training.jpg
40KB, 340x325px
>>14326841
Piss off, CR-T is a lovely girl.
>>
>>14329742
this
>>
>>14326776
Just use robot.
>>
>>14332183
Robots have some degree of autonomy, for most piloted mecha it's a wholly inappropriate term.
>>
>>14328362
Mostly, they are by comparison. The RX-78 has a listed ground running speed of 205 Km/h which means it's faster than most light mechs.
>>
>>14326776
Robots are worse
>>
>>14327302
Pragmatic Functional Rational VS Aesthetic Emotional Thematic
>>
>>14326776
Play HAWKEN or Mechwarrior Online instead
>>
>>14342795
>Mechwarrior Online
I think that's what the Titanfall devs were talking about.
>>
I like how they say they aren't your "Grandaddy's mechs" but they've basically just made a Scopedog and are trying to pass it off as if a small mobile mech is some kinda innovation and not something Japan did 30 years previously.
>>
>>14326776
Well it's far too late to rename this board
>/t/ - Titans
>>
>>14328362
>I never understood why so many people, even those who are fans of BT, think that they are slow, lumbering hulks.

Because of the Mechwarrior series, where they feel like slow, lumbering hulks.

It's also the Mechwarrior series' fault that we will never get melee attacks in a Battletech vidya NEVER EVER
>>
>>14342817
Scopedogs looked nice and didn't move like an overweight man carrying a sack of bricks, though.
Where my roller feet at?
>>
Realism is the cancer killing creativity and in the most ironic fashion the people aiming for realism end up making the least realistic things.
>>
>>14348747
Realism, when applied properly in sci-fi, often leads to a more indepth world without needing to explain everything. Co-opting real life to do most of the explaining saves you time.
>>
>>14352663
No fag
>>
File: 040421_dom.jpg (77KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
040421_dom.jpg
77KB, 900x600px
>>14329727
It's more apparent in old 40k, like that one document detailing exactly why exterminatus is cheaper than using asteroids to bombard targets.

>>14342817
You can go further than the Scopedog man, a Dom, Gelgoog, or hell, even a bog standard ground-type Zaku can move fast when it wants to.

>>14348747
Just be relieved it's mostly mainstream junk though.
>>
>>14326841
>>14326892
>>14326925
>>14326940
>>14327216

Have you ever thought that maybe it has nothing to do with East vs. West but rather that ANIMATING mecha with complex objects is really hard and expensive? I mean if Japanese designers had cart blank to go nuts then I'm sure you get the same bullshit coming from the other direction.

Beware CG mechs for this reason cause its really easy for them to go to far.
Thread posts: 94
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.