[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does /m/ hate this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8

File: 8zvmZ0D.png (448KB, 1280x696px) Image search: [Google]
8zvmZ0D.png
448KB, 1280x696px
Why does /m/ hate this?
>>
File: patlabor2_city.webm (1MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
patlabor2_city.webm
1MB, 640x480px
>>14316795
But I don't?

I love it, in fact.
>>
>>14316795
Just cause you don't see threads all the time doesn't mean /m/ hates it.

Except the Toku series. Yeah, /m/ hates that.
>>
>>14316795

I like it. But I can see why they don't like it. Patlabor 2 is an Oshii film, and it feels more like a Ghost in the Shell sequel.

It's not the fun Patlabor of the OVAs or tv show.
>>
>>14316867
We do? We haven't seen it; only the first episode has been subbed and it's... alright. Not as good as the TV but, you know.
>>
>>14316915
>/m/
>liking Toku

The people that hang out in the generals and such may as well be from a different universe. They aren't part of the community, by their own design.
>>
>>14316931
We're in this thread right now, Anon. We're in every thread. You only think we're contained to generals.
>>
>>14316931
Oh God, you're one of those assholes.
>>
>>14316931
>Trying to be elitist on a slow as fuck board
>>
File: tumblr_mzy6g7MW2T1qdkeiao1_1280.jpg (554KB, 1093x1000px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mzy6g7MW2T1qdkeiao1_1280.jpg
554KB, 1093x1000px
>>14316795
I love this delicious film with all my heart and soul
>>
>>14316795
I'm with the other Anons. I liked it. I also prefer Oshii's GitS, like a pretentious teenager, over SAC manga is best tho'
>>
I wanted a fun buddy cop film with robots, but got birds, fish, people staring at fish eye lenses, discussions about the current state of japan and the world while absolutely nothing interesting happens on screen and some impressive animation occasionally.

It's an interesting film and I have no problem with other people loving it, but I'm not watching Patlabor to stare at a travelling car for 10 minutes.
>>
>>14317808
>absolutely nothing interesting happens
I thought it was extremely interesting.
>>
Patlabor is such a "eat your cultural vegetables" anime. People like it because it has an in-group cultural currency here: slow, nonviolent and dull (thus not "for otakus"), popular in Japan yet never really took off in America (elite, dood!). It's the anime equivalent of a shitty "forgotten classic" 80s indie rock album that's super hip in bohiemian hipster circles for some reason but when you actually listen to it it you just shrug. Give me Eva any day
>>
>>14318048
>people liking things I don't like? Nah, must be some pretentious ironic shit
Alright
>>
>>14318048
This is some masterfully crafted bait.
>>
>>14318048
>It's the shitty "forgotten classic" 80s indie rock album that's super hip in bohiemian hipster circles for some reason but when you actually listen to it it you just shrug. Give me Linkin Park any day
>>
>>14316795
I think general consesus is that most people love it.
I understand that this may be a good movie on it's own, but it is a shit Patlabor installment. Thus, I don't like this movie, because I love original OVA and TV series so much.
>>
>>14316795
while I admit it bored me to tears when i first saw it (I was young), It's one of my favourite /m/ovies now
>>
>>14317808
>I wanted a fun buddy cop film with robots

Patlabor has literally never been that.
>>
File: 1239294453206.jpg (77KB, 800x384px) Image search: [Google]
1239294453206.jpg
77KB, 800x384px
Somebody, please explain why in the Patlabor so hated and despised the army?

In the first OVA Japanese army tried to organize a coup d'etat in TV pilots military Labor shows mediocrity on the background of silly policemen, in the second film former Army men engaged in terrorism under the idiotic excuse (besides, Goto gave hysteria to learn that in Tokyo introduced troops to protection)
>>
>>14317739

Ill be honest. I never liked SAC. SAC feels like fanfiction about how awesome the major is most of the time and I really don't think GITS can do long form story telling, especially if it's unwilling to put the Major to the aside for more than half a goddamn episode
>>
File: 1461455447752.jpg (483KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1461455447752.jpg
483KB, 1280x720px
>>14316931
>attempting to seek validation in your ridiculous whining about tokusatsu
>saying something even dumber than that in the process
>>
>>14318407
Oh Helldiver-chan, you'll always be number one in my heart.
>>
>>14318407
It's a Japanese thing, after the war the army was power hungry, so the police and the army had a lot of friction.
The Patlabor movie followed up on the political atmosphere.
>>
>>14318407
Japanese history.

The army is considered a potential threat to democracy and civilian rule.
>>
>>14316908
The firsr Patlabor movies is the best imo. It feels much more as a part of the franchise.
>>
>>14318048
Anything that requires half a brain is considered pretentious nowadays.
>>
File: 1453625848327.jpg (41KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1453625848327.jpg
41KB, 600x800px
>>14318468
>implying anything Oshii does requires even half a brain
He just tries to create ATMOSPHERE and make thrillers. Sometimes it's just not appropriate and sometimes it's just clumsily done. But some dudes get hypnotized by all the still shots and end up thinking that he's trying to tell them something because when someone makes a very lengthy shot in an expensive movie, it generally means that there's something really subtle to understand. But really it's mostly just for ambience. So when they don't find anything coherent, they say it's pretentious and when they make something up that makes sense to them, they call it deep.
>>
>>14318407
It's a commentary/meditation on Japan's relationship with it's armed forces after 1945. They're there, but they were always kept at arm's length by the rest of the government, as the war is largely the fault of military rule.

Compare these scenes, especially the 2nd movie's long sequence juxtaposing the Japanese civilians going about life with the army doing it's thing in the background, and compare them to something like GATE. Japan is changing.
>>
>>14319032
Something worth noting about Patlabor 2 is that it never demonizes the individual soldiers. They're just guys there following orders and genuinely trying to help keep order, even posing for photos with civilians and otherwise staying out of their way.
>>
>>14319051
This is also true, and I think it lines up pretty well with how Japan talks about the war. No one individually is ever held accountable for what happened (war criminals listed on the memorial shrines, anybody), the military as an institution is responsible.
>>
>>14319051
I love that shot of the annoyed looking soldiers on guard duty with a pair of military otkau taking pictures with them. Oshii had like a dozen more of those kind of shots planned in storyboards that he cut from the film.
>>
>>14316795
Not muh TV
>>
File: NT_main02.jpg (91KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
NT_main02.jpg
91KB, 640x480px
>>14318436
>>14318463
>>14319032
I never looked too much into the details of the relationship between the civilian and military leadership, but this really puts NT's background story into perspective.
>>
>>14319032
For better or worse?

G-reco is flawed as hell but Tomino really hit the nail when using the Capital Army as an analogy to the Japanese youth of today glorifying the military and pursuing conflict because they are either bored or want to regain some sort of pride they think they lost after the war.
>>
>>14316795
Because it's not Patlabor?
Because its head is so far up its own ass that the movie's drowning in its own stomach acid?
Because pretentious monologing isn't what most people consider social commentary?
Because it's the most pretentious movie anyone on /m/ can name?
>>
>>14320987
For worse obviously.

But then this happens - when your country faces economic or social hardships, right wing nutsos will blame the government and how according to them it isn't imperialist/fascist enough. And young idiots who don't remember the past and are too stupid to know better will support them.

This is barely a Japan-only movement.
>>
File: 7f21aecf4fc7b27735fbad25cbdb4fcb.png (787KB, 660x1048px) Image search: [Google]
7f21aecf4fc7b27735fbad25cbdb4fcb.png
787KB, 660x1048px
Would a new Patlabor series work? How was that new live action series/movie thing? any good?
>>
>>14320995
You know I'd like to say that GitS is more pretentious due to its themes, but since it doesn't have a message it's really not, and I'd also like to say that Jin-Roh is more pretentious but I'm not quite sure that it's supposed to be as loaded with subtext as Patlabor 2; but what I can say for sure is that it's a more significant waste of animator skill for the sake of making yet another dull thriller with protagonists you can't identify with instead of showing us things live-action can't conveniently do.

So I'm still gonna say it's not as much of a high-brow wankfest as Jin-Roh.
>>
>>14318021
When characters are having discussions, there is absolutely nothing interesting happening on screen is what I mean.
>>
>>14321556
that's completely retarded.
>>
>>14316795
I think it works better when at least you are familiar with the characters and the setting, otherwise the whole "final mission" dosen't make much of an impression on the viewer.
>>
>>14321586
I know, right? And yet Oshii KEEPS DOING IT
>>
The first movie was better.

Episode 5 and 6 of the OVA did the 2nd movie's plot better anyway.
>>
>>14317725
Source of pic/artist?
>>
>>14316946
>>14316953
>>14316972
Calm down
>>
>>14316795
/m/ hates everything
>>
>>14316867
On the countrary, the more /m/ posts about something the more they hate it.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.