[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your favorite mecha size?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 10

File: 1211839345006.jpg (743KB, 3500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1211839345006.jpg
743KB, 3500x1000px
What is your favorite mecha size?
>>
Big and illogical

Small mech sucked small dicks
>>
>>14303929
But I like small, trying to hard to be realistic mechs.

Bonus points for exposed cockpit(Patlabor).
>>
>>14303917
I can like anything as long as it makes sense within the context of the story.
>>
What's next right on RahXephon?

Demonbane? Muv-luv?
>>
File: badass votoms.jpg (765KB, 1731x1232px) Image search: [Google]
badass votoms.jpg
765KB, 1731x1232px
>>14303917
Votoms and manga Getter/manga Mazinger/Gundam size.
>>
File: Hurricane Polymer - Mario.jpg (73KB, 896x672px) Image search: [Google]
Hurricane Polymer - Mario.jpg
73KB, 896x672px
>>14303936
>I like small, trying hard to be realistic mechs
>bonus points for exposed cockpit
>>
>>14304013
>Demonbane? Muv-luv?
It's funny that you'd lump these two together, but yeah, that's Demonbane.
>>
>>14303917
Healthy at every size and shape.
>>
File: IR.png (406KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
IR.png
406KB, 720x540px
Only acceptable answer.
>>
Whatever size is needed to bring evil down. I prefer it when the villains have a larger mech, so you get that David vs. Goliath thing going on.
>>
4m-20m or 50m-1000m.

The smaller ones because you can put them in more scenarios and situations. The larger for the dramatic effect and symbolic purposes.

You have to admit that there's something awe inspiring about a giant, world moving being that is mechanical in nature, created with human intentions but superhuman aspirations.
>>
>>14304275
puffy vulva
>>
>>14304311
For illustrative purposes.
>>
File: 1428859006052.jpg (453KB, 840x1344px) Image search: [Google]
1428859006052.jpg
453KB, 840x1344px
>>14304316
Where did my picture go?
>>
Really small ones are good for creating tension. When your mech is small enough that even a grenade can damage it, every situation has a greater sense of danger to it.

And of course, the really big ones are great for having spectacular battles with a great sense of scale. It makes you think something really important's happening when you see a mountain sized robot take on its opponent.

It's those midsize ones that are just kinda boring.
>>
>>14304520
That's nonsensical. The only criteria for setting tension is simply having something that can endanger the robot. Size is irrelevant; it only changes what endangers the robot, not the frequency of endangerment.
>>
File: 19471112_p0.jpg (192KB, 650x850px) Image search: [Google]
19471112_p0.jpg
192KB, 650x850px
It depends on the robot's "personality" for me.

For example, I really like Dunbine the way it is. The way it is presented, the way it fights and moves around, and other things about it makes its size perfect for it. Likewise, Labors are well sized, the Valkyrie fits its size too (Since fighter jets are pretty big).

Gurren, Xabungle, and L-Gaim, while very big for their class, fit well because of the settings they're set in (Wild West-ish fantasy deserts).

Big O actually pretty small for the way its presented. It's big, slow, hulking, and only reaches Shin's thigh.

Now, I begin to have some issues going in to the HUGE class of robots. I like my robot's size reflecting their behavior, and many of the robots don't do that (If it wasn't shown in the chart, I would have guessed Big O was actually much bigger some of the HUGE class bots, since many of then move like dudes in suits). RahXephon being the size it is makes sense, since it's some kind of bizarre alien deity-ish thing. But I can't quite shake the feeling that Voltron should be smaller, and a few others, since they tend to act like guys in suits rather than hulking castles of metal and machinery. I'm in agreement with >>14304311 when he says the bigger robots should have a palpable and grand presence to reflect their size, and I don't really feel that some robots like Shin Getter (Expect for in the manga, where it's terraforming planets).

> Gakeen
> Barattack

And suddenly the joke behind this picture makes sense.
>>
>>14303917
Why is Shin Getter standing in front of a giant rock?
>>
>>14304544
Those two elements generally have a correlation. You have tiny little Scopedogs that can be destroyed by one or two stray bullets, so they're constantly in danger in every conflict, and then you have God Mars, which is huge and so impervious to damage that not even fighters directly crashing into it will damage it, so there's rarely any actual sense of tension when it's onscreen.
>>
>>14304583
>Those two elements generally have a correlation
They do not. Again, size has nothing to do with the frequency of danger presented in a narrative. Instead of having little soldiers with grenades, you would just have giant monsters or something. Does your brain work?
>>
idc, but the bigger they are, the bulkier they should be. Otherwise it feels like the character designer is just cheating and scaling up the robot
>>
>>14304590
There are almost no shows with huge armies of giant monsters in the same way that there are with little soldiers with grenades because finding a way for armies of that scale to make any kind of sense, either real or fictional, is near impossible. The closest we have are things like Gunbuster and Gurren Lagann, which doesn't even attempt to make sense or establish rules as to how these things work

That's why there is a correlation and you'd be stupid to deny that there is.
>>
>>14304571
Go-lion combines out of several other giant robots. It wouldn't make much sense for it to be small, would it?
>>
>>14304604
>There are almost no shows with huge armies of giant monsters in the same way that there are with little soldiers with grenades because finding a way for armies of that scale to make any kind of sense, either real or fictional, is near impossible.

That's completely wrong. See: every 1970s robot show or any show where kaiju or other giant robots are the main antagonists. Even in Gundam, it's only giant robots that threaten other giant robots. You are wrong by example and by logic. Just stop, it's embarrassing.
>>
>>14303917
6-8 metres.

The smaller you are, the more you can interact with the environment and take cover and stuff.
>>
>>14304608
>every 1970s robot show or any show where kaiju or other giant robots are the main antagonists
And how many of these regularly show more than one kaiju or robot fighting the main robot at a time? Few. Of those, how many show more than two or three kaiju or robots fighting the main robot on a scale like you'd see in something like Gundam, where several dozen robots are fighting each other? Pretty much zero.

The fights the (huge) robots in these shows get into more often resemble 1v1 martial arts matches than actual wars where they could die in a moment's notice from a stray shot out of nowhere.
>>
>>14304607

I can take a point there, combiner's would take on more mass and size. But even so, the size of these things still lack weight for me.

I think that sums up my issue: Weight. I believe it's this element that separates a giant robot that actually feels giant, and a scaled up action figure.
>>
>>14304630
>And how many of these regularly show more than one kaiju or robot fighting the main robot at a time? Few.
How many have you actually watched?

> Gundam, where several dozen robots are fighting each other?
Mainly only in montages. Otherwise, the numbers are similar to what you would see in other robot anime. It comes down to animation constraints.

Also, this has absolutely nothing to do with what we were discussing. This is getting more pathetic by the post. Stop being stubborn and just realize your logic was fucked from the get go.
>>
>>14304681
>How many have you actually watched?
From the 70s? Combattler, Voltes, Daitarn, Zambot

>Also, this has absolutely nothing to do with what we were discussing
It does. I'm showing how the scale of the conflict is almost always inversely proportional to the scale of the combatants, and that a smaller scale conflict usually means less tension not the least of which because if the protagonist is the only thing fighting for one side and the show has the robot's name in the title, you know that robot will survive until the end.
>>
>>14304699
>I'm showing how the scale of the conflict is almost always inversely proportional to the scale of the combatants
That isn't true in the slightest. And that still has nothing to do with tension correlating with size.

>and that a smaller scale conflict usually means less tension
That's another flawed assumption on your part.

>because if the protagonist is the only thing fighting for one side and the show has the robot's name in the title, you know that robot will survive until the end.
Protagonists rarely die in fiction, main character or not. Again, that has nothing to do with tension correlating with size. Smaller robots do not correlate with more opponents on a screen.

>From the 70s? Combattler, Voltes, Daitarn, Zambot
Unrelated, but could you be any more of a Tomino newfag? I've tried to be civil in spite of your bad posts, but you are fucking dumb.
>>
>>14304766
>That isn't true in the slightest
If it isn't, you've failed to point out any shows that demonstrate the contrary

>Smaller robots do not correlate with more opponents on a screen.
See above

>Protagonists rarely die in fiction, main character or not
Completely beside the point. I'm talking more about how much damage the main character's mech is likely to take and how likely it is to survive.

>could you be any more of a Tomino newfag?
The only Tomino shows I've even watched other than those are L-Gaim and King Gainer, and I dropped L-Gaim. I haven't even bothered watching 0079 and don't really have any inclination to.
>>
>>14304788
>If it isn't, you've failed to point out any shows that demonstrate the contrary
Not only is tension subjective, but you're the one making random claims hombre.

>See above
Likewise.

>I'm talking more about how much damage the main character's mech is likely to take and how likely it is to survive.
Which has nothing to do with size.

Your poster status: absolutely, completely and utterly stupid.
>>
File: 1443789013283.jpg (796KB, 924x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1443789013283.jpg
796KB, 924x1280px
Around the 5m mark give or take a meter or 2.
>>
>>14304795
All the shows I posted that I watched are examples of what I'm talking about. Especially King Gainer, with it showing that even robots with fantastical powers will get into large scale conflicts just because they're small.

>Which has nothing to do with size.
Yeah, sure, then explain why the SDF-1 didn't so much as lose an arm while the Valkyries it deployed exploded on the regular
And I'm aware that Macross is an exception to my point about bigger robots being in smaller conflicts, but I think it's an exception that proves the rule given how it was originally designed to be a relatively small battleship for the giant Zentraedi
>>
>>14304875
>robots will get into large scale conflicts just because they're small.
That literally makes no sense. The scale of a battle is dependent entirely on the narrative and animation limitations. It has nothing to do with robot size.

>then explain why the SDF-1 didn't so much as lose an arm while the Valkyries it deployed exploded on the regular
SDF-1 is a special irreplaceable machine. The valkyries are essentially grunt units. Why are you even bringing this up? That's stupid!

>but I think it's an exception that proves the rule given how it was originally designed to be a relatively small battleship for the giant Zentraedi
Are you drunk?
>>
File: 1464623928174.jpg (81KB, 621x768px) Image search: [Google]
1464623928174.jpg
81KB, 621x768px
i personally like mechs that could be huge but are scaled down to the size of an average person, pso style
>>
Large enough to pick up and throw a car, but small enough to jump out of an exploding building.
>>
>>14303917
slightly under one story tall
or
a regular human-sized drone bot/exosuit
>>
File: Screenshot from G_Gundam - 40.png (252KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot from G_Gundam - 40.png
252KB, 576x432px
>>14303917
Devil-sized.
There's a reason it's called "The Ultimate Gundam"
>>
>>14303917
>favorite

I think you're trying to imply I don't like all of them.

That's a funny thing to imply.

>>14304031
>manga Mazinger/Gundam

Why specify Manga Mazinger? It's 18m, same as the one in the anime, and all the games, and the other anime, and the other other anime... And the same as the RX-78-2, and Tetsujin 28.
>>
>>14306556
>It's 18m
Wonder how they came to that, just 10 times the size of a regular person?
>>
>>14306581
I'd assume so.
>>
File: DG_SEQUENCE02c.gif (4MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
DG_SEQUENCE02c.gif
4MB, 500x281px
>>14303917
About 10 meters.

There's something kinda scary about a mech that's just a little bigger than a real war machine scooting around really fast and fucking things up.

If it's much bigger than that, you start to lose some understanding of how big it is.
>>
>>14303917
5-10 meters, smaller looks silly and bigger looks out of place alongside real combat vehicles.
>>
Give me the 8-10 meter range.
>>
>>14307995
hate to break it to you, but giant robots look out of place alongside real combat vehicles
>>
On the ground, 10 meters

In space, 20 meters
>>
>>14308023
*Looks even more out of place.
>>
>>14307929

What modern war machine is even close to 10 meters in height that it could be just a little bigger than? Modern tanks are like 2.5/3 meters tall, APCs and what not are smaller. Even helicopters are usually only maybe 4 meters tall.
>>
>>14308112
Bigger by volume.
>>
Scopedog to Gundam size, unless it's some big fuckoff space opera shit, in which case make it fuckin' big.
>>
10-15 meters is the ideal for me.

If we're talking Real at least. For Super, the bigger the better for me
>>
In a military-based story, I prefer my mecha to be smaller than an average mobile suit from Gundam.

Aviation - variable fighters, armo-fighters
Infantry - armored troopers, ride armors, maneuver slaves, maneuver blades
Armor - labors, wanzers, armed slaves
>>
anything tekkaman
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.